RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Shadowrun > An Untimely Encounter > Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:16 PM
Silk's Avatar
Silk Silk is offline
Anointed
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 4510
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Posts: 2,911
Chapter 1a: Intermission(1 Week)

The job is done. It's time to PARTY!
This thread is for:
  • Continuing any Roleplaying after you all are done with a job(aka Chapters).
  • Roleplaying the expenditure of your Karma(If you so desire).
  • Interacting with your contacts, family, friends, and fellow Runners outside of a job.
    Note:
    • The length of time this thread takes up is listed in ( ) in the Title above.
    • If you need help figuring how to spend your Karma let me know and I'll help you.
    • If everyone wishes to skip this step, let me know and if everyone agrees I'll get on with the next Chapter(This is an experiment on my part and may end if I feel I start to struggle with it).


It's apparently party hour as Rinelle invites a few of you to a bar she Go ahead and take initiative with where your going. It's a big city, anything you come up with will exist...within reason knows. Some take her up on it, and others don't as Whisper hands out some spoils of war. The mood is almost festive but suddenly the beautiful Seattle day turns a bit wet as the skies open Could not find a cityscape pic where it was raining during the day up. There are very few clouds in the sky, but it's raining none the less. The old dreary wet Seattle you know and love is back.

__________________

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2019, 04:59 PM
PopCultureBard's Avatar
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard is online now
Captain F-in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 16198
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Posts: 4,651
Rinelle"It's not like I've got choir practice to go to." She shoots Mortar a sideways glance, eyebrow lifted in judgment of her own. Kill people all day but don't hit the narcos before 5pm seems like a strange standard to set. "Besides, the perk of this job is setting your own hours." She nods to Whisper as the sneak declines, and smiles to Cinch in acknowledgment of her acceptance. As the team's other magically-touched type, Rinelle was hoping to get a chance to talk shop with the medic.

"I'll take you up on that ride. My bike's back at the apartment." She follows Mortar to his vehicle and scrambles up into an offered seat. "I know a place that doesn't ask questions or see faces, and the beer won't have you puking up your nachos by midnight." She drums her hands on the dashboard and points toward the street. "Onward, Jeeves."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Angelo's isn't what anyone would call classy, but in the Barrens any place you can sit and relax without getting held up, shot up or beat up is well regarded. The sign out front burns bright against the brick exterior, though with the burnt out letters it actually announces itself as An-e-os. Something the owner often comments on getting fixed but never seems to have gotten around to. A runty troll in a Seattle Screamers tank top guards the door and he acknowledges Rinelle with a toothy grin and motion to pass. The tables are spread out with coat racks and decor placed to inhibit vision from one table to another. Privacy is on tap at Angelo's, though Rinelle knows how much of a lie that actually is.

When Rinelle first arrived in Seattle she put in work at the door to Angelo's, her shotgun a proper deterrent to violence. She even did some snooping for him among his regulars, invisibility making the layout insignificant for eavesdropping. A lot can be overheard in conversation in a place like this and Angelo makes a decent side business in secrets, though she knows he is careful to work through brokers so it doesn't come back on him. All this has earned her some respect from Angelo, which translates to a choice booth in the back with very little wood rot and no prying eyes. It was nice to share that place with someone, as very few people are willing to risk Barrens hospitality for cheap booze and her company.

"So, nobody died." She jabs her thumb into the pipe, packing down the deepweed until it sits properly. Taking a sip from her beer, she passes the pipe to Mortar along with a 'Watch the World Burn' lighter she picked up at a Stuffer Shack. The pipe is a cheap ceramic vessel shaped like a tiny fist, the contents stuffed into the center for smoking though the arm. "I got first round." She lifts her bottle as a suggestion, having found the Lumox Porter to be the most palatable of the drinks on offer. Hitting the bar with any orders the others offer up, she comes back and distributes the drinks before settling into the seat next to Stranger.

"I know that was just a tester job but I think it went pretty well. I'm not an old hand at this stuff or anything but I'd put my skin on the line with you guys again." She lifts the bottle, offering it up for a quick cheers. The growling thump of goblin rock carries on, just loud enough to be an annoyance if you don't like raising your voice.
__________________
Things are just unpredictable right now. I'll do my best to catch up.

Inheritors of the Imperium Nihilus | Rise of the First Order
RotFO: M-Th, IofIN [R]: Tu-F, IofIN [H]: W-Sa

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 07-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Roekahs Roekahs is offline
I'm your huckleberry
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 6583
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Posts: 2,816
CinchLissy watches the exchange between Mortar and Rinelle. Neither one is lacking in confidence. Not a horrible pair to learn something from. Suddenly, she feels a bit more enthused about this afterparty. Competent runners that don't just launch a job at her and then walk off into the street. That enthusiasm, however, plummets through the pavement as Rinelle jumps in the truck with Mortar. It is a strange feeling, the reluctance to get in a car with strangers to go drinking. It just isn't something that she would have done in her previous life.We just fought side-by-side, staring down the barrel of our guns at some gangers with flamethrowers! Lissy chides herself, What are you afraid of? Just get in the car!

Gulping slightly, Lissy wills her feet forward. Her mind tracks her movements as jerky and disjointed, but her physical self shows non of those signs. As she passes Whisper, she hears Mortar mention something she is familiar with and she glances at the items. "I have a Browning, so I could certainly put those spare clips to use." Lissy shrugs and takes the clips, "Every penny saved, right?! Sell the guns as far as I am concerned."

-----------------------------------------

Aneos - for that is all she can make out in the dim rain-light - is almost exactly the opposite of where Lissy would have taken them. In fact, just willing herself to put a foot through the door is an adventure inside her own head. Yet, she is here, and backing out now would be ridiculous - not to mention she would be stuck in the Barrens ... walking. So in she goes.

Lissy tries desperately to avoid eye contact with the patrons of this particular joint. She still is not quite used to her new life or its trappings, let alone the ramped-up version of that life that is the Barrens. Keeping her head low, she quietly slides into the booth ahead of Mortar, praying that the massive orc hides her from sight. Once tucked back in the corner of the booth, Lissy relaxes slightly. Cinch she reminds herself. Lissy was her old name. If she is going to make this work, she really needs to start thinking of herself as 'Cinch'.

Cinch smiles wanly at Rinelle's words. "Not for lack of trying though. Those two gangers were certainly trying to get Mortar to put them down like rabid dogs." She takes the pipe and holds it awkwardly for a moment. "You actually had to kill anyone Mortar? Obviously you aren't one to hesitate." Suddenly realizing how personal of a question that is, Cinch blushes so intensely that it is even obvious in the dark bar. "Nevermind. Not my business. Just used to saving lives, not taking them. It is weird though, in the moment I was actually ready to today."

Cinch stares intently at the pipe, the last comment lingering in her mind. Deepweed. Obviously she knows about it, but she has never actually tried anything like it. Drugs and the like she has only observed from a distance. Except that was an old life, when things were simpler ... until they weren't. It is only a few seconds, though it seems like an eternity as the wheels churn inside her mind. Finally, though, Cinch puts the pipe to her lips and takes a small drag. Surprising herself, she manages not to cough - not in front of these runners - before passing it along.

Cinch orders a scotch - it is what her dad always drank even though she has never tried it before. When Rinelle returns, and Cinch takes a whiff of the foul smelling glass in front of her, she nearly gags. When Rinelle mentions not being an experienced 'Runner, she does gag. "Wait, you aren't an established 'Runner? I thought I was the one being tested." Then her eyes get wide, "Frag, you sure seemed like the real deal. You just seemed to know what you were doing." By this time, Cinch's cheeks are flush again, "Yeah, I would put down some gangers with you again." She smiles, this time genuinely. It had been a rush after all.
__________________
Status: Breakthrough! Suddenly less horrible ... though still busy
GM: Sky Realm (FATE) | Magic Rising (FATE) | Glimmerwell (FATE) Playing: Garvyn (5e) | Cinch (SR)
Bazziox, Imperial Advisor (13th Age!) | Landslide (SR) | Cassia(13th Age)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 4849
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 2,635
Stranger"Yes." Stranger agreed with the elf next to him as she summed up the run and the team. He spun the pint glass of cheap beer around on a coaster that was busy sopping up Seattle condensation. The gripped pads of his cybernetic arm did the fidgeting while the other fleshy hand lay in his lap like the somewhat useless appendage it was. He was drained. That was a lot of hacking in a very short amount of time and he was a terrible hacker. Coming out of hot-sim was a drag too. His synapses were ghosting the experience and it was very much like crashing from a high.

He realized suddenly that Rinelle had raised her drink and he came up late, smiling weakly as she swung the bottom of her bottle with a pivoting swivel into his glass with a wink. He poured beer into his big mouth and looked around the table.They had worked pretty well together, he had to admit. Cinch sang the praises of Mortar and Stranger nodded his head as if in time to the goblin rock. He didn't actually look at the big orc who was currently sucking smoke through a glass arm, but acknowledgement was high praise from him, at least directed at a tusker. Stranger thought about Cinch and the rest were saying. "It was a team effort, if Rinelle hadnt spotted that mafioso's spirits and Xoch hadn't talked him down, we may never had made it to the end."

Stranger downed the rest of his beer. A pint really wasn't that much to an orc. He shrugged, seeming to almost talk to himself then, "Somebody needs something done that requires a bunch of new blood who are too naive to know when to ask questions and know how to take orders. We proved we are that group." he realized he was being what Jaz always accused him of, a colossal downer, but he couldn't help letting the rest of the words spill out. "I just hope something comes of it besides a bunch of people we just pissed off." He leaned back almost in a slouch, feeling the bulge of the electronics he needed to change ownership of in his vest pocket.
__________________
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 PM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 15612
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,727
Xōchipilli Xōch smiles as he pockets the credstick.

A pleasure doing business with you. Xōch had a hard time turning off the charm sometimes, even when it wasn’t necessarily warranted anymore.

I would ordinarily love to join you all for a drink, but I’ve a prior engagement, and I’ve already been awake for almost 20 hours. I’m afraid one drink and I might not make it home. With the adrenaline of the day over and the light of day shining bright, Xōch does look a little tired and worn down.

But not to worry you’ve got my number. He taps his temple indicating the commlink he has so elegantly embedded.

Until we meet again, mis hermosos. Xōch blows a kiss in the air aimed at no on in particular and makes and exit from the parking lot, riding off to meet a guy… about a thing.


Xōch hands off 200 nuyen and immediately pops the little red and yellow pill – he was gonna need it for what was about to go down.

Pulling into the small garage at Tulmec Towers Xōch parks his newly acquired bike in the garage, leaving his connection on – he needed to make a few… adjustments. Making sure he had everything he needed he headed to his small flat. It wasn’t much but it was home. The area left something to be desire, the area was in what would be called ‘cartel country.’ The Cartel wasn’t half as connected in Seattle as it was in Xōch’s hometown, but that didn’t mean they weren’t scary. Luckily Xōch was fast talking, fast thinking, and looked enough the part that they left him alone – plus he didn’t have much worth stealing anyway.

Kicking off his shoes Xōch grabs himself a beer, changes into something a bit more comfortable than a suit and makes himself comfortable on the chair in the corner. Leaning back he turns on his commlink’s matrix function and follows the breadcrumbs to the bike, and then begins the work of unlocking secrets of ownership.

He’d have to make a few trips back and forth when he needed to patch the hardware or flip a few switches, but it was far safer in his apartment than the garage.

He took a sip from his beer and the he felt it.

The Psyche.

Xōch felt the sharp waves of oncoming focus; everything seemed outlined and to glow just a little bit. He was everywhere at once; every task was completed, every piece of code entered, every door opened, every wire crossed.

His pupils were dilated, and his palms were a little sweaty. His mouth was dry. So dry it felt like a desert.

Parched.

He took a sip of the beer and then downed the whole thing. All the while he kept altering code and tightening bolts with his wrench.

He had to get this done.

Fifteen minutes had gone by and it was finally done.

No, not fifteen minutes. Seven hours. It was nearly nighttime.

No matter. Xōch grabbed some old cans of black and silver spray paint and went to town coving up all the obnoxious paint the gang bangers had left all over the bike.

Another hour gone.

Spray painting in the garage may have been a bad idea.

The landlord was gonna be mad.

Good thing he never comes by.

Xōch started scrubbing he wanted to get the paint out of the cement.

Scrubbing.

Scrubbing

Scrub…


Xōch wakes up in the garage, a puddle of drool under his head, his head pounding, and his mouth feeling like someone poured sand in it. Looking around Xōch notices the smeared paint on the floor, the polished bike, and an empty can of spray paint.

That explains the head ache.

Getting up he groans and stumbles back into the apartment. Stripping naked he climbs into a hot shower and tries to recollect himself. He lets the hot water roll down his skin as he runs his head back and forth under the spray, hoping the heat would suppress his headache.

He eventually crawls out of the shower and dries himself off, wiping the condensation from the mirror, he wraps the towel around himself, and looks at his reflection. He looks past the tussled hair, past the smooth complexion, and impish smile.

He should have just gone out for that drink.

Heading into the living room he stops to check the matrix and make sure he at least accomplished what he wanted to do.

Looks like it’s secured.

At least there was that.

Putting up an advertisement to unload his old Dodge, he sits there for a minute the cool air refreshing his skin.

Rough night, too bad there’s still work to do.

Xōch gets up to grab another beer and then logs back into the matrix.
OoCActions: Buys Psyche (-200 nuyen).
Takes Psyche.
Transferring Ownership of Bike.
Painting Bike (-100 nuyen).
Search Matrix for info about Ralando.
Sells Dodge Scoot (+750 nuyen)
Gets drunk.
Repeat as necessary.
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Apply to Starfleet.

Last edited by wodine; 07-12-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 16507
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,470
MortarMortar follows Rinelle's directions with growing skepticism. Others would probably disagree, but he'd take the Underground to the Barrens any damn day. All the same, cheap beer and free weed is usually worth a drive.

The group of proto-runners takes a seat at a table. Mortar doesn't start out chatty. He doesn't expect this to be a group of readers. Though Cinch has a bit of that college-girl jitteriness. Maybe she's dipped into some mainstream sci-fi, at least. No reason to push it while everyone is sober. Rinelle offers a cheers. Mortar raises his glass. Swig of beer. Puff of pipe. Swig of beer. He leans back, listening to everyone else's assessment of the job.

Cinch asks about Mortar's trigger-finger. He shrugs. "Killed anybody? Probably. Cleanup ain't my job. I've shot guys. They didn't get up. It was someone else's job to ask questions afterwards.

"I think it went good out there. Good enough. No one did anything too stupid. A couple a folks seemed itchy to get in nose-to-nose. Don't see the sense in that. There are probably reasons to do it. But I've never had a job where the reasons were good one. Bullets are cheap, and bones are expensive, that's my attitude. There was this one time..."
The deepweed swirls up into Mortar's senses. You start to almost get a feel for that aura drek the finger-wigglers jabber on about. It's never a good idea to mess with folk's emotions too hard, when you're under the influence. "Let's just say that I felt a little naked out there today. I'm usually packing a lot more heat, and sometimes maintaining a credible threat means popping off a couple hundred rounds. People don't usually get up and do a tap dance after that."

Swig of beer. Puff of pipe. Swig of beer. "Good stuff," he nods to Rinelle, grinning at her lighter. "I'm about done being a wage-slave-trigger-man. That Big Burn is coming soon enough. I just want a nice nest egg before I start Doing the Right Thing. Like that Azzie drone, eh?" he nudges Stranger with a grin. Mortar swigs the last of his glass, sighs, and loses his grin. He had avoided adding unemployed to his trigger-man vocation. "Boy, I hope this job turns out some prospects."
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure module.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-14-2019, 09:54 PM
Silk's Avatar
Silk Silk is offline
Anointed
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 4510
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Posts: 2,911
~
right-aligned image

Mortar easily found a parking spot nearby. At 1:43 in the afternoon, he was fairly confident that no one would vandalize his vehicle at this time, even in the Redmond Barrens. And if someone did, he was sure he could get his drones up and running quickly enough to discourage such an action.

Angelo's was a nondescript building with the first story half sunk into the ground and no windows on the ground level. The neon sign that displayed the name with an arrow pointing to the stairs down was incomplete as someone seemed to have used it for target practice. Even in daylight with the sign turned off you could tell that the "G" and "L" were shot out. Walking down the stairs, everyone notices a sign above the door declaring this place as Angelo's Vip Lounge. It is highly unlikely anyone at night could see the sign as there are no light fixtures here.

left-aligned image

Entering the establishment, you take in the cramped nature of the establishment and figure forty or so people could fit in the place if they didn't mind rubbing elbows. Along one wall is a bar and a tiny stage where Angelo sometimes highers local performers to play, though there is no place to dance. All the booths have high privacy walls, and the lighting is quite dim. From the kitchen, the smell of fried food is being cooked. Salty fried foods are the staple food of Angelo's along with relatively cheap drinks.
right-aligned image


There are already a half dozen patrons inside the establishment and Angelo himself sits in one of the booths in view of the front door. The bouncer, an Orc who calls himself Grognought, is not here at the moment as it is probably too early to worry about any incidents. Rinelle is a bit glad the Orc was absent as he has a deep hatred of anything Elven. A racist at heart, Grognought respects Angelo to much to let his feelings interfere with his job as Rinelle found out during the job she did for Angelo that let her led her new companions to a private table. Angelo himself was smoking a thin cigar and looked a bit upset as he talked with one of his employe's as she passed. He nodded as Rinelle passed with her group but quickly focused back on what the head waitress of his establishment was saying. A new waitress that Rinelle hadn't seen before takes your orders before scurring off.

 
__________________

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal

Last edited by Silk; 07-14-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 AM
Silk's Avatar
Silk Silk is offline
Anointed
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 4510
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Posts: 2,911
Xōchipilli
right-aligned image

The next evening when he woke up, Xoch was still feeling a headache from all the paint fumes he snorted last night, or maybe it was all the beer he drank. Either way, he noticed a message from an interested buyer inquiring about his scooter, and headache or no, nuyen's nuyen. After scheduling to meet at a parking lot near Mambo's Cantina, Xōchipilli left his apartment on his Dodge Scoot Scooter for what he hoped was the last time. The college kid that was interested in the scooter was a bit leery due to the low asking price. However, once Xoch explained in his charming manner that he just wanted to get rid of it, the kid paid for the scooter on the spot and was gone. It was the quickest seven hundred and fifty nuyen he made since coming to Seattle.

left-aligned image
Mambo
Walking the rest of the way to Mambo's Cantina, he entered and spotted the proprietor himself at the bar. It was still early enough in the evening for there to be only a few patrons, and Xōchipilli caught up with the man as his favorite go-go girl Seraphim wouldn't be in for at least another hour. It was during this time that he got a call on his commlink from an unknown number.

left-aligned image
Answering the call he saw a grinning sharply dressed man with a bank of window's overlooking Seattle behind him. There was music in the background. Combined with the loud music playing at Mambo's, it made it hard to hear what the man was saying. Eventually, Xōchipilli got the gist of what was said. The man was offering his services as a Fixer, and he also wanted to meet, right now. Before hanging up, the man sent Xoch an address and instructions.

<<Decibel Apartments: East Alder Street and 12th Avenue. Top floor Penthouse 2. Tell them Lyle Green sent you.>>

It was only after the call was ended that Xōchipilli realized the man was one of the people from the Freeway Park job yesterday. Not a runner, but one of the buyers.


Whisper
left-aligned image
Tod
right-aligned image

It's been a little over a day since Ebony aka Whisper got home, and both Melika and Tod have said little about her first run. The most that was said happened when Whisper first walked through the apartment above the little dinner they ran and Tod, who was working on a drone at the time, said, "I heard over the police scanner that two gang members of the Halloweeners went on a rampage in the park and was stopped by some civilians. One is in the hospital with some physical trauma but in stable condition." Other than giving Ebony a pointed look, Tod said nothing else and life carried on as if nothing had happened.

The next day was the same, as long as Ebony didn't bring up the subject of her first run in the shadows, neither would they. That evening Ebony got a text on her commlink from one of her part-time jobs asking if she could work. The restaurant's annoying flashing advert was at the top of the message. Ninja Eats was not known for there suttle approach to advertising.
normal image without text wrap
^---------------black and white colors flashing back and forth annoyingly
On the one hand, she wasn't hurting for cash; on the other, you could never have enough nuyen. Whatever she decided twenty minutes later, her day was interrupted once again by a curious text message from an unknown number.

<<I am interested in facilitating your career and will "Fix" whatever you need to meet your goals. Meet me on the corner of 6th Avenue and Seneca Street across from Freeway Park in one hour.>>

It seems a Fixer has just offered to take Whisper as a client, if in a roundabout manner. And across the street from her last job no less.
__________________

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal

Last edited by Silk; 07-18-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2019, 04:23 PM
PopCultureBard's Avatar
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard is online now
Captain F-in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 16198
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Posts: 4,651
Rinelle"Nice of you to say." And she means it, which surprises even her. Who doesn't like to have their talents acknowledged? She passes the pipe to Cinch, curious if the woman would partake given the possible trouble it could cause magically active folks like them. "I did a few 'watch my back' type things for nobodies in Redmond. Nothing with a team." She takes a pull from the beer, smiling around the mouth of the bottle. "But I read a lot and I've been running longer than I've been Running." She drags out the second R to emphasize the difference. A strangely personal detail to share, but that's always been her way. It isn't easy to keep secret when the whispers are always pushing her to public displays. "Meanwhile, you're over there throwing up barriers like it's nothing." There might be a hint of jealousy in that compliment, but the goblin rock does a lot to disguise inflection. "I'm glad you were there. My magic isn't too practical after the trouble starts." She looks between the two orks as they voice the same concern, that the job turn out future opportunities.

"I think that's the first time you two have agreed on something." Draining the bottle, she slides it toward the center of the table. As comfortable as she'd become in this environment, there were so many little things that bother her. The thin, bitter swill they call wine out here for one. A Friday night without a glass of Taéngelé feels empty to a part of her she'd done her best to lock away. "I definitely need consistent work. Stale soykaf and nutricubes just don't do it for me." Sure, there was that. There was also the crushing debt she'd accrued to set herself up here after her accounts were frozen. It wasn't leg-breaking that worried her. If she had to go to ground there was no doubt in her mind that she could vanish. But you can't make a living in this field if you have a reputation for dipping out on their obligations. The concerns are pushed away by the whispers, rising as they so often do when she gets too deep in her own head. Leaning toward the center of the table, she looks at each face in turn before settling her eyes on Cinch. "Okay, with no assensing..." head tipped to Stranger, then Mortar. "...let's bet on which one has more chrome? Winner buys the next round."
__________________
Things are just unpredictable right now. I'll do my best to catch up.

Inheritors of the Imperium Nihilus | Rise of the First Order
RotFO: M-Th, IofIN [R]: Tu-F, IofIN [H]: W-Sa

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 07-20-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Roekahs Roekahs is offline
I'm your huckleberry
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 6583
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Posts: 2,816
Cinch tries to listen to the conversation going on around her, the scotch completely forgotten. Rinelle is definitely talking, but that draw on the pipe has her vision spinning in a kaleidoscope of whispy images. Cinch knows what deepweed is supposed to do, yet experiencing it is a completely different thing. Ever since her new abilities manifested, Cinch has only perceived a few times, and always on the job at the request of her team. She has always dropped the perception as soon as she obtained the information requested. Here in this bar, with friends who are still mostly strangers, she can't pull herself away from that trippy plane.

As if from a long distance away, she hears words that occur at the same time as vibrations that she feels in her throat, "Like I said ... used to saving people ... or at least ... putting up obstacles ... for death." Cinch's astral vision wanders the bar even as the words slowly find their way out. She had always run away from this ability, yet now that she is forced to stay here she is beginning to feel much more comfortable. Besides, she has studied things her entire life. Things that have been important to her. Medicine. Biology. Physiology. Those things still matter, but why shouldn't this Astral perception matter just as much? It is equally, no ... more, a part of her now.

Lost in a world of vibrant colors, finally doing something she should have done months before, Cinch is lost to the conversation around her for the time being. She misses the betting, although she likely would have looked the fool if she had been present.
__________________
Status: Breakthrough! Suddenly less horrible ... though still busy
GM: Sky Realm (FATE) | Magic Rising (FATE) | Glimmerwell (FATE) Playing: Garvyn (5e) | Cinch (SR)
Bazziox, Imperial Advisor (13th Age!) | Landslide (SR) | Cassia(13th Age)

Last edited by Roekahs; 07-20-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-20-2019, 06:44 PM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 15612
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,727
Xōchipilli Xōch was starting to get a decent little nest egg together. With the money from the job and selling off his old ride, he had a sudden influx of cash and had to fight his desire to spend it all at once on frivolity…and alcohol…and drugs.

As he sat down to a drink at the Mambo’s he hears the chirping in his ear indicating an incoming call.

Unknown Number. That’s odd.

Xōch answers and finally manages to get some information, after walking into the stockroom, where the club wasn't so noisy.

Lyle Green – Pentohouse 2.

Xōch downs the rest of his whiskey, goes into the ramshackle bathroom to fix his hair, and head out for the meeting, pulling up as much info on the man and the apartment as he could.
OoCGo to meeting.
Look up info on what’s probably a fake name but a real address.
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Apply to Starfleet.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 16507
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,470
MortarMortar motions for another round, but the dirty look he recieves suggests that this isn't the kind of place that will bring another round to the table. Grumbling, he gets up. He ticks off the list of people who are close to finishing their first beer, and then orders that many of the second-cheapest thing at the bar. He feels off some of his bills, and then returns as Rinelle suggests some sort of mage-game.

"Objectifying us, huh? I guess it's true what they say about elf ladies and orcs," he says with a grin that suggests he's MOSTLY playing with her. "I'm quite the object. Consider this:" he says as his grin widens, signifying that he's definitely playing now. He rolls up his sleeve, having left is armor his the truck. He curls his arm and flexes his bicep in the traditional trid-strongman pose. He doesn't have the physique of a strongman by any stretch of the imagination. But ropy cable-like tendrils run along and across his muscle, suggesting that something subcutaneous is giving him a boost. He drops the pose. He looks over his arm for a moment, as if considering it anew. Then he bangs the boniest part - right below the wrist - against the edge of the table. He winces, but it sounds like someone hitting a stick against the faux-wood.

"Slim here" apparently he means Stranger, "has that whiz retro arm. But still waters run deep, y'know? I bet all he's got is headware aside from that. Hard for you to look at me and know what I got going on. That's a trick of the trade. Play dumb, look bland. Keep a few surprises." He taps his head near his data-tap, which looks like it's fancier than your run-of-the-mill datajack. Rinelle saw him plug into his truck, which suggests he probably has at least some augments handy for rigging.

"I suppose the mojo doesn't let you dirty your temples with that kind of thing, huh?" He cracks open his new beer and takes a swig. "Sorta weird, that, isn't it? Kinda Toxic, like, using the new world and rejecting it at the same time?"
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure module.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 07-20-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 PM
PopCultureBard's Avatar
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard is online now
Captain F-in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 16198
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Posts: 4,651
Rinelle"Oh, it's definitely true what they say but it's what they don't say that should concern you." The smile is thin and suggestive, as if the words weren't enough of that already. She studies his arm as he presents it, her head inclining forward as she watches the flex. Her breathing comes slightly faster then, and her eyes shift to Stranger as Mortar points him out. She'd noticed the obvious chrome when they first met but now she looks at it in greater detail. She had to respect his use of a non-camouflaged limb. The look of the metal stuff always seemed more authentic to her.

"I wouldn't call either of you bland." Her brow lifts, an arch that adds to the meaning. "But that might just be the elf in me talking." She snags a few empties from the table, collecting them on one edge for the waitress to claim. As she does, she shifts to sit closer to the edge of her seat which puts her at an obvious lean that inclines certain...aspects...of her frame into the forefront. A shameless move, but one that is not beneath her. The whispers applaud her efforts.

"I grew up in the Tir. There is a whole attitude toward cyber there among the well-bred. Purity of form and all that. I've always just assumed it was because elves look dumb with chrome sticking out of their bodies. We don't have the frames to pull it off like others." She snaps her fingers as the waitress draws near to grab her attention. "And don't worry, I dirty my temple with plenty of other things to balance the scales." A glance to Cinch tells her all she needs to know about the woman's condition. "Mmm. She's in deep." Is she jealous, or just pleased? For once she is hard to read. "Well, given the show you just gave me I'm gonna call myself the winner. Order up, folks. I'll get Cinch a Happy Houngan. The spices will help keep her grounded as the deepweed lets up."
__________________
Things are just unpredictable right now. I'll do my best to catch up.

Inheritors of the Imperium Nihilus | Rise of the First Order
RotFO: M-Th, IofIN [R]: Tu-F, IofIN [H]: W-Sa

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 07-23-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2019, 05:19 PM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 4849
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 2,635
ChuckWhen attention was given to it, Stranger looked down on his own arm like it was someone else's or a loaded gun laying on the table and pointed at him. It was a weird mix of fascination and revulsion. Anyone who knew their tech would see that the limb was way above Stranger's pay grade. It was a military model made for or ripped off of a much more deadly torso. The fingers actuated, breaking the illusion that it might not be a part of him and he pushed his second empty pint away from him with it.

Here the four of them were, surrounded by the high walls of the booth, sharing. They were four lost and forgotten souls hanging on to the flotsam of a sticky tabletop looking for a connection in a city that had no place for them...at least not a place in the daylight. They were misfit toys. They were the leftover parts that weren't needed to assemble the office furniture. They were the obsolete code, commented out to speed up compiling. He mumbled out a quote, "Umberto EcoWhere else? I belong to a lost generation and am comfortable only in the company of others who are lost and lonely."

But he couldn't seem to offer up his own brief biography. He just nodded downcast to Mortar's guess though it wasn't really true. He wasn't hiding a trick, as Mortar said, he just didn't have the energy or want to list off his parts. They weren't asking for him to. They were just whispering their secrets into the wind. "I'm Chuck," he said to the table when the waitress left with orders for another round. Orcish metabolism being what it was, it would take another four or so before he would even start to feel it. "Stranger is just a Matrix persona." The decker looked finally up to Rinelle, her body snaked in an attitude of casual sexuality. He felt the flush of desire hit him and took a second to let it fall away. Beady eyes panned over to Cinch, lost in her inner eye before travelling back to the fully present woman. "What do you see when you go there?" he asked. Even a mage could be dragged into the matrix with a set of trodes and a hitcher jack. But where they went, only an awakened could see. He had read the articles and the literary journals on his online binges, but he wanted to hear it from her: the runaway girl from the Tir. He didn't want to let go of the table just yet.
__________________
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-25-2019, 08:33 AM
Roekahs Roekahs is offline
I'm your huckleberry
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 6583
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Posts: 2,816
Slowly ... ever so slowly, the astral fades from Cinch's primary perception. For a moment there is utter confusion as the astral and the physical view collide in spectacular fashion. But now Cinch wants to return and the astral resists for only a moment before fleeing. Of course the first thing to greet Cinch when she is able to focus fully on the physical is flesh. A lot of flesh. Blinking wildly she raises her gaze to the woman across the table from her. The look in Rinelle's eye is not difficult to decipher.

Glancing away, Cinch looks for a way to get out from between the elf and her ... prey. She is trapped in the booth with no way to extricate herself from the events occurring at the table. But then ... there is just a wisp of the deepweed still lingering. Cinch grasps at it with all her mind and is immediately ripped back into a world of bright colors ... and a lot less flesh. With a relieved sigh, she lets her mind once more wander the astral.

The deepweed pathway seems to be disgruntled after being dismissed and then called upon again, so it is only another minute or so that Cinch is able to hold onto that thread. When she finally returns, she is disappointed to see that little has changed. She quickly averts her eyes, glancing at the two orcs. Of course they are both lost in the depths of ... conversation. Cinch rolls her eyes. Dummy. Go off on some stupid astral journey and leave the boys to play with the naughty girl. How did you think that was going to play out?

Curling herself into the corner, a hand absently straying to the scar emblazoned across her face, Cinch quietly watches the others. Her gaze is inevitably drawn to the other woman. Pretty and confident, she is everything Lissy wants to be but Cinch can't be. Not yet. There are people that need to pay first. Her gaze wanders to the other pair. Perhaps this is actually the start of something. For some reason she trusts these people more than anyone in a long time. Maybe they can all keep each other alive and - she glances back at Rinelle - out of too much trouble. Then the thought pops into her mind, I wonder what secrets they have. What ghosts they need exorcised. I wonder if we can help each other. Maybe even find some peace.
__________________
Status: Breakthrough! Suddenly less horrible ... though still busy
GM: Sky Realm (FATE) | Magic Rising (FATE) | Glimmerwell (FATE) Playing: Garvyn (5e) | Cinch (SR)
Bazziox, Imperial Advisor (13th Age!) | Landslide (SR) | Cassia(13th Age)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB