RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2019 > Outplay 2019 archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Scimmy's Avatar
Scimmy Scimmy is offline
Windrunner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-11-2019
RPXP: 8726
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Posts: 6,289
Zephkris eyed the salamander and pushed all his frustration at it. He was ready to destroy, to pummel, to freeze. He raised his hands in a gesture of magic and the power surged through him, when a sound pierced his mind. At first he thought maybe it was the salamander in pain from his actions, but he looked at his red hands frozen in mid-gesture and the salamander stalking them and his mind flashed to Flappy. He cast his mind out to the rather kind fiendish creature and felt pain and alarm. We must keep the salamander distracted. Those cries of pain worry me and I feel we need to take more drastic action. I must dig deeper into the magical well There was another odd mix of emotions from Lapkris' mind. Be fast, it will kill us quickly should it get hold of us. Zephaniah sent subtle mental encouragement to his advisor and Zephkris spoke. Two more of you must get on the disk. I know it is not comfortable but lay atop the others if you must. YOU. MUST LIVE. We will do our best to protect you and the ride is almost here. Zephkris mentally checks his spell against the math in his head, everything seemed right. Lapkris' body was about eighty-five feet from the wyvern nest. Since Flappy did not show up immediately he was obviously hampered in some way, as evidenced by his cries of pain. Thus they should be about... He darts over to opening and looked out, Ah yes, as I feared. He moves his fingers and mutters to himself then smiles. I can get them both. Flappy's average air speed is 32 miles per day which means in the time since the whistle if he isn't already at the building and is still alive he should be about forty feet from the nest... POWER surged within him and a point between the two wyverns began to shimmer and expand. As it expanded the area filled with shimmering lights that tugged at your attention, but didn't demand it like it would for those within. Zephkris felt the spell lock into place and grabbed his head, forcing himself to sequester that attention to the spell so it could persist. He knew the DC 22 Willpower of his magic and that it was unlikely they would resist, but things had not been going well today.

 

Flappy flew the last forty-five feet trusting in his summoner to do something to protect him. The burning of the poison in his blood was painful but the fiendish creature was used to such things as poison was a common tool, so he managed to shake it off. It was true that he would just be returned to his home upon death here, but such things were painful and no creature would wish that end. He landed just by the kids and stood there panting and waiting.

The crocs were having a blast in the water. And now that they were close they let out their full fury, biting and lashing their tails at the sharks. The water was quickly becoming a murky mess of froth and blood.

Zephkris sees Flappy and lets out a whoop of elation. Oh I could kiss you you big beautiful monster! He turns to the children, We are leaving, if two of you aren't on his back and two more of you haven't joined the good little ones that want to live, you will be left. He gives the one holding the wand a stern look and Lapkris sends his mind only to him. And if you lose that wand I will downgrade you from good girl to monster meat! He gives them a moment to decide then moves the disk onto Flappy's back and instructed it to stay. It only needed a continuous solid surface, so it would be delicate, but if timed well this would work. Between the Salamander and the injured bat, Zephkris was worried. So he flew to the side to try and draw it's attention.

 
__________________
-Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
-I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

Last edited by Scimmy; 07-12-2019 at 07:42 AM.
  #17  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 15612
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,729
The Life Gate Rd 1 T5
A Watery Grave Alexander has hold of the young girl but he suddenly realizes that he can’t move nearly as quickly as he needed to and hold onto the girl. He was now at risk of drowning himself.

He let the bag slide from his shoulders and as soon as the weight left him he could feel the magic returning. He swam as fast as he could and emerged from the water to see two of the other elf children struggling to get into the boat, but the third was nowhere to be scene.

 


The fight in the water continues.
 


Zephkris Inferno The building was beginning to crumble, beams were falling and the fire was getting ever hotter. There was no way the building would survive. This motivated some of the dwarves, two of whom clamored onto the dire bat and two more who climbed onto the disk. That was size dwaves in total, but how were they going to get out of this inferno?

Then there was the issue of the salamander. He charges the imp creature and arcs its prehensile tail wide
Dice Atk:
d20+8sch22 (20 (natural 20))+8   Total = 28
(28) attempting to snatch the creature from the air
Dice grab:
d20+11sch21 (9)+11 Total = 20
(20). The slap was strong
Dice dmg:
2d6+1 (5, 6)+1 Total = 12
(12) but the salamander was unable to grab the tiny creature.
 

Wyverns A burst of rainbow light sparkles in front of the pursing wyvern. Stopping it from pursuing any farther, though now the halflings are left defenseless...
 

Tobias takes a Leap Tobias, was doing his best to grab as many children as he could. Unfortunately the children were scattered, scared, and as he was invisible they had no idea someone was trying to rescue them.

He ran around collecting as many as he could before he was over encumbered or risked one of the hounds or the ettin taking notice. He collects
Dice Kids:
d4+1 (1)+1 Total = 2
(2) goblins before he takes to the air, but the dangling chain presents ample opportunity. Though he is 20 feet in the air, one of the chains dangles down and is grabbed by the ettin, gracelessly after shoving a goblin into one of his stinking maws and chewing with a spine chilling crunch.

Tobias was stuck and held in place by the ettin. Does he release one child to save the rest, or fight to pull himself free?

Meanwhile the hounds continue to tear at flesh and terrorize the children.

 
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Apply to Starfleet.

Last edited by wodine; 07-13-2019 at 09:05 AM.
  #18  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Scimmy's Avatar
Scimmy Scimmy is offline
Windrunner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-11-2019
RPXP: 8726
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Posts: 6,289
Zephaniah feels it when the little imp body has taken too much damage and falls limply to the floor. But thanks to the magic Zephaniah remains aware of himself, if not his little buddy or his surroundings. Rest my friend, I shall not abandon you. He wills himself back to his body own body and a single tear streaks down his face. With a shaky hand he directs the donkey toward the spire and mentally sends the pattern of entrancing lights 30ftaway to the North and East.

Finally having riders, Flappy takes off at breakneck speed and almost dive bombs the ground, arresting his movemt at the last minute, and landing hard but without damage, giving the children a shake and the barest moment to get off he is in the air once more, streaking toward the opening. The crocs continue their frenzy though Thrash and bitey are barely holding on.

Zephaniah strokes the token that he hopes will save the little halflings and worries about his friend

 
__________________
-Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
-I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

Last edited by Scimmy; 07-12-2019 at 03:10 PM.
  #19  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:12 AM
Gaijin's Avatar
Gaijin Gaijin is online now
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7816
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Posts: 6,392
A Corpse in the Boat is Worth Two in the Lake
left-aligned image
The water beneath him was a bloody frenzy and if Alex didn't get the other two Elflings out now, they likely wouldn't survive long enough to be rescued. Little one would have to wait just a few more seconds for life giving breath. Please... hang on just a little longer...

Setting her down gently, Alex swung his leg back over the side of the Swan boat to find purchase upon the surface of the lake via the active enchantment still supporting his weight. From his improved vantage point, he grabbed each of the remaining Elflings firmly and hoisted them to safety. "Grab hold. It is time to go home."

Refraining from excessive description, since there is always a possibility that things go horribly wrong during the final rescue attempt and I'll have to backtrack.***

Mechanics
 
__________________
>Gaijin's Stat Block Templates<
{As Featured in Explosive Runes #24!}
"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge."
  #20  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:50 AM
Qiksilv's Avatar
Qiksilv Qiksilv is offline
All men perish...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 7437
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Posts: 5,078
Tobias Lancaster
left-aligned image
With a curse Tobias released the child back to the Ettin's clutches. It appeared that saving as many as possible was unlikely to mean very many at all. What did you expect...boy. His ghost was back but Khelben sounded distant and tired. As if fighting Tobias' rebellion had taxed his essence. Did you think you would save them all? Against those odds and with the deck stacked against you. It seemed the incorporeal specter was getting his strength back. His silent words filled with malice.

The lich had spent ages locked inside his own tomb due to the seal that Rostamoinen had placed on him. Despite being trapped in Lancaster's body Ishii had been enjoying these years of "freedom" from the dark places under the Earth. Being banished to the back of his host's mind had been a reminder of how life had been and could be if things didn't go just right in these next few challenges.

One of these days I'll kill you, Tobias.

"Not if I kill you first, Khelben." Tobias spoke allowed with more confidence than he usually had when confronting the undead wizard. He didn't know if it would last but at the moment he had bigger problems to handle.

Luckily for him there was a tall tree not too far from where he was currently. If it was determined enough the Ettin could probably get the kids down but Tobias was hoping that he could rescue more of the kids and merely use this tree as a waypoint. Once he'd gathered as many goblin children as he could he'd come back here and grab the rest before moving to a more permanent safe place.

"Wait here," he said in as soothing a voice as possible to the goblin. Did it even understand Common? "I'll be back. Just pull up your chain, ok?" The warrior gave the chain tug to accentuate his point before zipping off to try and save more of the unfortunate little humanoids.


 
__________________
Posting when I can around life. Thanks for understanding.
  #21  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:26 AM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 15612
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,729
The Life Gate Rd 1 T6
Lord High Commander Kokabiel Strix Lord High Commander Kokabiel Strix’s mailed hands tightened on the ledge of the parapet as he watched what was unfolding around him. His gaze was cast out and down watching as the would be heroes of Slyn'dael. What are they doing? The black clad creature growled just low enough for the other two nearby members of the nine to hear.

Reaching down the Commander pulls a large bag onto the ledge, setting it gently down as he reaches inside and begins removing several large magical items, gently handing them off to Archmage Mifflewerf Fettlegrew and Ophelya - Guardian of your Dreams, and leaving others gently displayed in front of them, as they each began to select what they would need to put an end to this façade.

Water World Alexander gets himself onto the boat somewhat dragging the drowned girl along with him. Dropping her body onto the bow, he lifts the two remaining elf children onto the boat and looks down at the small frame of the fragile elf girl and knows that it may be futile but he has to try.
 


The fight in the water continues.
 


Zephkris Inferno The dwarves had been left alone with the salamander and the dire bat. The floating disk winks out of existence as the dwarves fall to the floor still holding the adventurer’s wand.

The other two watch in horror as the salamander raises its spear to finish off the imp
Dice Coup:
3d8+12-5 (2, 7, 4)+12-5 Total = 20
(20) putting an end to the tiny creature. Meanwhile the dire bat, still stradled by two dwarf children hesitates as it had been left with no instructions. Falling back on its intended purpose it attacks the salamander.
 

Wyverns The rainbow continued fluttering in the air leading the two adult wyverns and one the children away from the nest. They were entranced by the magic – though their simple draconic minds could not comprehend its majesty something in their blood forced them to follow.
2 Adult and 1 young wyvern are currently fascinated. The two adults were in the air, leaving the wyvernling chirping at the edge of the nest flapping its wings trying to lift off.

There was no way to tell what was happening atop the spire with the remaining wyvernlings but the tiny screams suggested it was both bloody and painful.
 

Tobias takes a Leap Tobias, relinquishes one of the children to the ettin with an unceremonious oomf. The child cries as it hits the ground and is dragged to the etting’s clutches and lifted up into the air. HOW YOU DO THIS? You witch? Witch Gobbo? The ettin was shaking the goblin trying to understand what had happened.

Meanwhile Tobias hides one of the goblin’s in a tree and returns to grab as many more
Dice Roll:
d2+1 (2)+1 Total = 3
(3) as he can. Two of the hounds take notice of the goblin in the tree and move to it circling the tree and clawing at it to no avail, while the third hound helps himself to another snack.

OoCI will try to get a post up tomorrow morning so you may have one more round.
 
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Apply to Starfleet.

Last edited by wodine; 07-13-2019 at 02:10 PM.
  #22  
Old 07-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Gaijin's Avatar
Gaijin Gaijin is online now
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7816
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Posts: 6,392
Breath of Life
left-aligned image
Huff... huff...

Nausea swept over Alexander, but it wasn't quitting time just yet. This was merely one of four such dire circumstances and the only option is to push forward until the day is done. Granting himself the briefest of pauses to catch his breath, Dr. Drudge, (Ph.D, not M.D.), leaned forward, and prepared to resuscitate the Little One. His mind clicked into high gear as it performed the mental gymnastics necessary to navigate hundreds of meticulously curated and memorized manuals, oral narratives, and personal experiences. Somewhere within him was the knowledge he would need to save this little girl. Click... click... click... Ding!inum doesn't work with cumulative rolls, so the dice are in the mechanics block.(22)

The confidence of a much more experienced healer rushed through him and flushed him with the mild euphoria he always felt when inspiration struck. Each movement he took was measured and precise. Lay flat. Head back. Nose sealed. Deep breath. Exhale. Repeat. The other younglings looked on, but their eyes were glazed over, too tired to care, let alone grasp the situation.

At first, nothing happened and then there was choking, gurgling, coughing. A stream of water poured from her mouth, painstakingly clearing her lungs, enabling her to breathe on her own once more. "It's ok. You are alright now. Take your time.". Alex continued to comfort her as color returned to her cheeks and the light was restored to her eyes. She wasn't fine, but she would be. In time. And there was plenty of that now. A pained smile crossed his face.

"Come now, Children. There will be time to rest once we get to shore. Be strong a little while longer." Alexander coaxed the two he had pulled from the lake to stand and begin moving toward the stern of the boat at their own pace. Gently, he scooped up the little girl and carried her the rest of the way. His arms burned from exertion, and a mixture of lake water and sweat dripped from his brow, but it was over now, come what may.

In the distance, his companions and competitors could be seen or inferred from their respective struggles. The dire bat was clearly suffering, and the imp was nowhere to be seen. Tobias was completely concealed behind magic, but the baying of the ettin's hounds suggested that something had made its way into a nearby tree. Young goblins, some hardly a pile of gore, and others apparently being buffeted by an unobservable force. At this distance it was unclear whether the others had had any better luck than he and with the time it would take to secure his wards, traverse the space between them, and find some way of contributing, it would likely be too late. "Best of luck, and Godspeed..."

Mechanics
 
__________________
>Gaijin's Stat Block Templates<
{As Featured in Explosive Runes #24!}
"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge."

Last edited by Gaijin; 07-13-2019 at 06:56 PM.
  #23  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Qiksilv's Avatar
Qiksilv Qiksilv is offline
All men perish...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 7437
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Posts: 5,078
Tobias Lancaster
left-aligned image
"Thank the blessings of Fate," As he flew off with a proper load of crying goblin kids. He couldn't really blame them for not acting thankful. At this point they had no reason to believe he was anything other than just another hungry monster. He did what he could to exude a aura of reassurance through his invisibility but had a hard time seeing that as effective.

Of course it's not effective, Idiot. the only one who has to put up with your thoughts is me. Khelben interjected despondently yet with obvious malice.

Lancaster ignored his gloomy inner voice as he settled his newest rescues in the same tree as the other one. Once again he repeated his admonition for calm and encouraged the goblins to hold up their own chains before turning back to survey the scene behind him. Out of the original nine he had four temporarily safe in this tree, three had met messy ends, and two remained on the ground.

Leave them, Tobias. Ishii encouraged without commitment. Despite his previous goal of helping Tobias to get to the Nine he was more bitter now than anything else. If this basically powerless Elf could suppress him how could the undead mage expect to best Rostamoinen? Especially since he'd have to also control Tobias at the same time.

However, the great mage Khelben Ishii hadn't made a name for himself and defied death because he was prone to being overcome by complacency and sullenness. His innate conquering personality was already fighting the dark cloud that hung over his emotions. The fires of hatred are difficult to quell and the embers of his anger were quickly reviving his psyche. He would not be so easily silenced next time.

They are as good as dead already. Chasing them down could get you caught too.

Tobias Lancaster shook his head. Khelben didn't sound like his usual self and as excited as he was by his little victory it was weird having his barnacle personality develop such a profound personality shift. It was almost like he would have to used to a whole new person floating around in his consciousness and the thought just sounded exhausting.

The mage did have a point though. It seemed unlikely that if he flew back he'd be able to escape without being caught by the monsters surrounding the kids. Which left him short on options. The cries of the pseudo Wyvern though sparked an idea. Granted not a terribly original idea but the beasts had already fallen for it once, who was to says that they wouldn't fall for it again.

So with precious few seconds left before the remaining kids were gobbled up the Magus took a chance to distract the Ettin for just long enough to grab the last two kids. Pulling Khelben back to the front he repeated the spell from earlier, "ਬੱਚਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਲੁਕਾਓ" to his surprise Khelben didn't balk at being summoned this time. Often times if the lich was in a bad mood getting him to cast a spell was a challenge but this time it was easy and Tobias wasn't sure how to take it. Since he was dealing with a wizard who should have been dead twice already and frequently expressed nefarious motives Tobias doubted this recent development meant anything good.

As the words to the spell faded and his invisible form took on his usual posture once again the woods were filled with the sounds of panicking goblin children running away. He hoped that the hunting reflex common in many predators would draw their attention long enough to rescue the last two goblins on the ground.


 
__________________
Posting when I can around life. Thanks for understanding.
  #24  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Scimmy's Avatar
Scimmy Scimmy is offline
Windrunner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-11-2019
RPXP: 8726
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Posts: 6,289
PAIN

It ripped through Zephaniah's chest so fast and so intensely that his vision went white. He was sure he had just been run through the chest but blindly feeling at himself revealed no weapons or holes. Maybe my heart is giving out. The thought is fleeting for he had read up on the signs of that particular ailment after one week when Lapkris had inundated him with false signs to watch for. Thinking of the little imp revealed a startling hole in his awareness, for he didn't sense the imp. And as soon as he recognized it, his mind broke through the pain and helped him to objectively catalog it as phantom pain from his link to the imp being severed. But wait....it wasn't totally gone, there was the barest hint of connection still. Zephaniah grasped at that connection in his mind and pulled hard at it, striving with all his being to hold onto the little familiar that had been with him through many trials. His vision was still white and the phantom pain, even recognized as such now, still blocked all other senses from him. He had no idea of the tears streaming down his cheeks, or of the agonized screaming he was making, but blessedly the white began to fade.

DARKNESS

Zephaniah found himself standing in pure nothingness, holding a tiny golden thread. It had a familiar golden glow but the glow seemed to be sputtering. Experimentally, he pulled on the thread, unsure what to expect. What he did not expect was to see the full-sized demon stride into view, holding the other end of the thread. The red skinned demon wore a finely tailored suit, and his wings folded delicately against his back yet still conveyed an easy grace and power. Oh, well hello...master. The voice was deep and sonorous, but Zephaniah could swear he recognized it. Or should I say, former master? The demon looked down at the thread which was sputtering more and now also seemed to be fading from existence. Not much time. I'm glad you found me. I know it's been barely a few moments since our minds were joined, yet dying does strange things to one's perspective. I just want to tell you two things. He frowns for a moment and then smirks in a way Zephaniah is very familiar with. Well, I actually want to tell you more, but I am not allowed. So first, He holds up a finger dramatically, I don't blame you for my death. When you left I could have run, but I chose to stay. and second, he crosses the distance between them in a blur of speed and claps his hands on either side of Zephaniah's head. YOU. ARE. NOT. BEATEN! Around the two of them images of Zephaniah and Lapkris fade in and out, memories of time they shared together, and with a start Zephaniah they are moving backwards in time and approaching the day they first met. Don't go... he whispers, please. The demon...Lapkris...smiles warmly, Don't survive. He begins to walk away and the image he is walking into is that of a burned house and a trapped man being approached by a tiny red imp. Lapkris looks back and grins wickedly, Win master.

FIRE

Zephaniah was a man of almost pure mind these days. His body was weak with the weight of too much time and the strains of heavy magic use. So with the words of his familiar echoing in his mind, Zephaniah masters the pain and forces it away. He idly directs the entrancing lights further away just in case before letting active control go. It would slowly persistes for 12 roundslose coherence until the structure collapsed and released the wyverns, but they would be gone by then. Zephaniah reached to his side and drew forth a purple feather. Other than it's color there wasn't anything to give away how special it was. Zephaniah smiled as he thought of hos this little thing could save lives, but first, he had to send a message. He looked to where he expected to see his friend Flappy ferrying children only to see nothing. Perhaps he could help with that too...

POWER

Zephaniah quickly tracked his fingers across the sky much as he had with the rainbow spell. He then closed his eyes in concentration. Step one, clear your mind. Zephaniah let go of the loss of his friend, the imminent peril of the children, the worry about how the others were faring, and all other concerns and simply existed for a heartbeat. Step two, imagine what you desire. This too wasn't hard once Zephaniah focused, he needed a two images, connected by a strand or thread and the images were ones he was familiar with. Step three, add space to it. He looked up to the sky and raised his hand, with a wrenching gesture he barks out a word filled with power and lightning explodes across the sky. From a point roughly halfway between the nest and the building light shoots in both directions. It races to the nest and when it reaches a point over Zephaniah's head it takes the shape of a younger Zephaniah, though giant-sized. The image smiles down at the nest and beckons encouragingly. Zephaniah yells up, This way kids! I shall provide you a way down but you must be ready to move! Come to this side and give me a few seconds to get your escape ready. COME! HURRY! Meanwhile, the light races the other direction, with an entirely different pattern to express.

REDEMPTION

Flappy was confused. It was brought here to carry people-things yet no people-things would get on. Then the big air lizard attacked Flappy. Flappy didn't like that, Flappy didn't want to hurt the little lizards, just move the people-things. In his anger, Flappy had attacked but also had run away to the sound of Master's signal. Flappy had worked with Master many times and Master always gave good scratches and tried to keep Flappy safe. But flying lizard had followed Flappy and that was very not good. Flappy would have died and had to go home if Little Lord hadn't poked his head out and helped. Flappy did also like little lord, and when he landed some people-things had gotten on! Flappy was so excited to finally be doing what Master had asked Flappy to do. But then fire-lizard had attacked Little Lord. Fire-lizard was bad, hurting Little Lord was bad, Master would not like this! So Flappy had lashed out...Flappy was trying to do good thing for Master and protect Little Lord but Flappy was just Flappy, not good for hurts. But then Master intervened. The ground began to glow golden and a blue wall came between Flappy and fire-lizard. But even better still, Master was standing there. He didn't say anything but he waved his hands at the outside a few times then pointed out sternly. With a wall between Flappy and fire-lizard, and Master pointing, Flappy turned and saw another Master pointing toward the ground, and even Flappy couldn't mistake what he intended of Flappy and Flappy was more than happy to leave the building with the people-things.

EXPRESSION

What Flappy didn't see was that on the other side of the icewalls, was an alcove that held a large and menacing warrior, wearing heavy armor and holding a blade seemingly made entirely of ice. The warrior stood resolute in his role of guardian, blocking what looked like a door also made entirely of ice. Zephaniah gasped with the effort of dividing the image so many different ways, but he made sure to spread the golden light under everything so it maintained a continuous connection. What looked like several different images was actually one massive image conjured by a mage in his full glory and power. Zephaniah looked to the opening in the building and just hoped it would be enough. He knew where Flappy was and the layout of the building, and with Lapkris dead, he made some assumptions about where the salamander had moved to, in theory, everything was placed right and Flappy would have time to not only deposit kids on the ground but moke more trips before the salamander overcame the illusion. Unfortunately that problem was beyond his control now...he could only focus on saving the kids in the nest.

 
__________________
-Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
-I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

Last edited by Scimmy; 07-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.
  #25  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:47 AM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 15612
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,729
The Life Gate Rd 1 T7
Lord High Commander Kokabiel Strix Give them just a moment longer. What’s a few seconds amongst friends? The archmagi said, pulling out a large hourglass.

Hmm. The dream guardian responded preparing herself for flight.

Very well, but soon. Kokabiel already had a fist full of sulfur, but he would wait a moment longer.

Water World Alexander clambers onto the boat with the little girl. He did his best to resuscitate her. He pumped and he pumped but he knew that she had been underwater for a very long time, he had to get the water out of her lungs. Eventually water coughs out of her lungs and color begins to return to her blue lips. He did everything he could but her life was in the hands of the gods now
Dice Roll:
d100sch20 35
(35). He march on somberly protecting the little children even as the water continued to roil all around the rocking boat. He would have to carry the young girl. Hopefully the crocodiles stayed in the water and remember who the enemy was.

The fight in the water continues.
 


Ice Warriors of Mars Flappy was finally given the instructions it needed to do its job, but it had been unable to save the imp and now had to vacate the premises. As he moves away from the Salamander with two children on his back the vile fire lizard wipes his tail at the bat
Dice Roll:
d20+6sch14 (13)+6 Total = 19
(19) with brutal force
Dice dmg:
2d6+1 (6, 2)+1 Total = 9
(9). The creatuer however pauses following after the creature or attacking the dwarves as the ice barrier give it great trepidation. Assuming it is magical in nature the creature thrusts its spear into it with all its might
Dice Will:
d20+8sch19 (18)+8 Total = 26
(26)
 

Laser Zoyd The wyvernlings continued enjoying their meal of undefended halfling children, who while they tried their best to move to the side of the tower, dodging and weaving hungry wyvernlings was a difficult business better suited to adventurers than children. The adults, at least, were still enjoying a light show.

Tobias Soars Tobias tries his trick ahead to generate a sound that would distract the creatures. This time it was the sound of children running from the ettin, and while this was going to hopefully distract the monsters, he was certain it was going to get more difficult to scoop up more children as they were farther apart. He continued however, knowing the terrible fate that awaited them, so he scooped
Dice Roll:
d3 1
(1) knowing the remainder may not survive.
ooC Ettin Will:
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch14 (3)+7 Total = 10
(10)
Hound 1 Will:
Dice Roll:
d20+4sch14 (14)+4 Total = 18
(18)Hound 2 Will:
Dice Roll:
d20+4sch14 (11)+4 Total = 15
(15)Hound 3 Will:
Dice Roll:
d20+4sch14 (14)+4 Total = 18
(18)

OoC This is your last opportunity to act. Make it count. The thread closes at 10 PM EST.
 
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Apply to Starfleet.

Last edited by wodine; 07-14-2019 at 10:51 AM.
  #26  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:33 PM
Scimmy's Avatar
Scimmy Scimmy is offline
Windrunner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-11-2019
RPXP: 8726
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Posts: 6,289
Zephaniah felt the image shudder in his mind. He tried to hold it together, but clearly the salamander had rushed right to attacking it. Zephaniah sighed and let his hold on the image drop and it shattered into motes of light. I hope you made it Flappy. He would know soon enough but for now he spoke a word and tossed the little feather to the ground next to the spire. A token that causes a great oak to spring into being (5-foot-diameter trunk, 60-foot height, 40-foot top diameter). This is an instantaneous effect.Instantly, a tree sprang up and reached the height of the nest. You must climb down! Zephaniah yelled up, hoping some were still alive to do so. Silently he cursed the one that had flown away, he could have cajoled the kids to mount flappy and even taken some himself, instead he had flown off, ignoring a well ordered plan. Zephaniah hoped the boy had at least saved all the children, if you are going to rush off brashly, at least accomplish the goal. Like you did old man? His mental chiding irritated him. He had made so many mistakes and now maybe none of the dwarf or halfling children would survive. Was it worth the life of his friend.

Zephaniah held his face in his hands for a while and wept once more. I'm sorry Lapkris. I failed you. And I don't even think I accomplished anything doing it. Zephaniah allowed himself a few more moments of self pity before guiding the donkey toward the building. He may not be able to win this competition but he would try his best to not leave with a total loss. The donkey moved with the familiar speedy gait. Looking up to the form of his friend Flappy vanishing back to his home dimension, Zephaniah blinks rapidly a couple times and hardens his resolve. Looking up to the opening He yells up, If any children are still alive, you must jump! I have magics that will catch you! And please grab my friend and his possessions, I can save him too! I know you are scared, but you must jump, it is your ONLY WAY! Zephaniah feels a little twist from the lie, but if he was going to survive, he would need his tools back. And besides, the kids were already dead, they might as well serve a purpose with their end. Think of it as a mercy, death at the hands of fire, crushing, or a quick splat? Zephaniah would choose the quick way.

 
__________________
-Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
-I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

Last edited by Scimmy; 07-14-2019 at 03:37 PM.
  #27  
Old 07-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Qiksilv's Avatar
Qiksilv Qiksilv is offline
All men perish...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 7437
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Posts: 5,078
Tobias Lancaster
left-aligned image
the dogs were too absorbed with actual goblins to be distracted by tobias' illusory ones. The Ettin though seemed to be enticed by the sounds of free roaming food and he took whatever opening Tobias could to save the last few goblin kids.

His inner voice harrangued him but the fighter disregarded it until he had time to think.

 
__________________
Posting when I can around life. Thanks for understanding.
  #28  
Old 07-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Gaijin's Avatar
Gaijin Gaijin is online now
Σ͑͒͌̏̍͞҉̻͎̙͈̯͔͖̟
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7816
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Posts: 6,392
Ask Not for Whom the Bell Tolls... It Tolls for Thee.
left-aligned image
Each step toward the stern of the boat felt lighter than the last. Toward the end, the weight of the boat was partially supported by the beach, and the frothing and pulsing of the water became dampened to the point of a gentle tide. Stepping off onto solid ground, Alex useed his free arm to help the older two Elfings disembark and they continued on their way back to the starting zone.

Finally able to relax, he reached into his pack for his waterskin and fancy tobacco... "**ᛁᛏ" he cursed in infernal. His pack was still at the bottom of the lake with his rations, water, wine, and all of his reserve tobacco. In a moment of weakness, he considered abandoning the children to recover his bag, but when he looked upon the little girl in his arms who had begun to drift to sleep, the withdrawal pain subsided. "It'll be fine. I've still got my case and I can make those last for now."

Mechanics
 


__________________
>Gaijin's Stat Block Templates<
{As Featured in Explosive Runes #24!}
"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge."

Last edited by Squeak; 07-14-2019 at 10:34 PM.
  #29  
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 15612
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,729
The contestantsPieces of the burning building begin to fall off the structure as the fire rages on. With only seconds left one of the dwarf’s leaps from the building, but no others, and she doesn’t appear to have anything in her possession. As she leaps it almost appears that the building follows her down, as the timbers snap and fall, flaming ash and fire raining down the surroundings.

Meanwhile a massive tree springs to life around the spire, and the lone surviving halfling mades a maddened leap from the structure, and the sight of snapping mounts and flapping wings can be seen furiously biting the air as he soars. Landing on the branches, rather unceremoniously he slides down the tree, ending up on a branch some ten feet above the old wizard.

Tobias manages to collect one more of the goblin children before collecting those he had stowed in the tree for safekeeping and moving them back away from the hounds, who with their maligned intelligence were going to find a way into the tree or grab one of the dangling chains if the opportunity presented.

Alexander walked back to land; the three children were clinging to him like they had been attached with alchemical glue. They were not going to let go of him anytime soon he suspected, but a part of him thought that was okay.

The judges"Enough!" Kokabiel gazes down from his perch. The once great city of Slyn'dael lies in ruin all around him. Destroyed buildings, corpses strewn about, children lost and maimed. This would not due. This disrupted the order of things. Chaos had set this is motion, and Kokabiel will not abide chaos.

Now yes? Or should it have been earlier? Or maybe two weeks from Tuesday? The venerable MIfflewerg said throwing the hourglass from the parapet, and suddenly the hourglass was barely falling at. There we’ve got some time now. The heroes and judges seem unaffected but the rest of the world moves in slow motion. Unsure what was happening the heroes watch as the judges go to work.

I’ve got the children. With a wry smile the beauty known as the Guardian of your Dreams takes flight her translucent golden wings shimmering for only a moment before she takes flight soaring through the air with expertise that can only come with years of practice. Catching the falling dwarf, she continues to collect the halfling, and the other goblins, piling them all in the center of the town.

Mifflewerf, meanwhile, stands from the balcony of the floating tower firing arcane missiles at the beasts from affair – burning the ettin to a bile of bilious goo, changing the hounds into snorting pugs, and firing a barrage of magic missiles that dropped event he largest of the wyverns.

That left the Lord High Commander. Stepping from his place atop the parapet in a flash of fire and brimstone he appears in the town square. Scribing a complex sigil on the ground with the sulfur he had in hand, Kokabiel shatters a large beautifully crafted ruby in the palm of his hand and throws it into the air above the sulfur. Attenrobendum eos, ad consiendrum, ad ligandum eos, potiter et solvendum,
et ad, congregontum eos, coram me.

Return their tiny souls to me. It is not their time yet!


A massive fiery portal appears before the Lord High Commander. The heat is so intense that even Kokabiel is forced to life a hand to shield his face. And as fast as it appears it is gone. All the lost children standing safe and secure in the center of the town. Come children, your time is not yes extinguished. The Lord High Stands tall in dark shadowclad plate mail, surrounded by the innocent children.

They had all been saved after all.

The hourglass smashes into the ground and time is restored.

"Our business is done here. We're off. This was worse than we expected. Some monster nonsense was sure to come to us along the way. But this seems... coordinated. The Nine may have its next task sooner than we anticipated. I hope you are ready..." Mifflewerf’s strange eyebrows are furrowed as he says this.

Lady Ophelya tosses a bag at Alexander, I believe this is yours.

Then she casts a stern gaze at the old mage Zephaniah, and this yours. She hands his withered hand the wand, shaking her head she walks away.

Final tally
Player character Rescue points
Scimmy's Zephaniah 10
Gaijins's Alexander 30
Qiksilv's Tobias 50
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Apply to Starfleet.

Last edited by wodine; 07-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB