Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9704
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
Looking to his left, he saw that the little wizard managed to keep the initial onslaught from the encraoching wolves at bay. This gave the group some breathing room, but not much. The canines were too smart to walk into a field of thorns, and he noticed them circling. Their hunting instincts were alive, but the elf knew that he was a better hunter. With a bit of mental strength, he focused on the slinking beast and marked it as his prey.

From his sniper's nest, he loaded another arrow and let loose at the closest wolf to the ranger. Again, his arrow sailed through the air, and again, he hit the wolf in the most critical spot - right into its throat. The head of the arrow easily pierced the mangy fur, and he watched in slow motion as the shaft, followed by the nock. It went clean through it's jugular and the arrow embedded itself into the ground on the other side. With a yelp, the thing looked at him, but it was too late. Its lifeblood soaked the forsaken ground of the cemetery, and it fell. No longer moving and no longer a threat. Moving to another location behind the low wall of the graveyard, Aubron sought out his next victim.
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Shaede; 07-16-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6353
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Renata Tyrfille
left-aligned image

Renata catches some strange movement to her side, but when she glances over Ireena and Tarton seemed safe. The paladin efficiently dispatches another Z2, 13 to hit, certain killzombie, her radiant weapon burning its way through the flesh again. Then she steps further forward to put herself between the remaining attackers and her friends.

Mechanics

Last edited by secretID; 07-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:13 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8546
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja Tallstag (click to enlarge)
Maja calmed down at least a little bit after the two wolves in her vicinity suddenly lied down to sleep. Tarton's magic gave her back some hope that this fight could actually be won.

With trembling hands, she took her crossbow. From her position at the edge of the crypt, the girl saw that one of the zombies was barely standing anymore. One bolt fired from her weapon should be enough to finally fell it. However, as much as she tried, she wasn't able to steady her hand and to take aim carefully. A tear ran down Maja's face. Her inability to fight like the rest of her party saddened her. All she could do was to conjure the demon in her head once more.

And she did because it was equally clear to her that not doing anything helpful would have been reckless and worse. Psionic energies burnt away the brain of the undead and it collapsed on the blood-soaked cemetery.
OOCAction: Mind Thrust against Zombie 4. 9 points of psychic damage, felling it.
Move: See map.
Psychic Focus

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3830
OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool
Gareth Blackcroft
left-aligned image

Gareth watches Renata cut down another zombie with ease while the zombie in front of him simply collapses on its own, black ichor oozing out of its ears.

"Well struck, paladin, but mine has just died of fright. I'll teach you the trick some time."

The Rogue smirks, pleased with his own prowess and completely oblivious to Maja's intervention. Having taken a moment to congratulate himself, Gareth scans the graveyard and catches sight of the wolf prowling towards Renata. The scarred thief gingerly steps over the rotting zombie corpses and takes up a position next to the paladin, ready to deal with the wolf if it should get too close.

OOC
Move: Next to Renata
Action: Hold a melee attack, triggered by the wolf coming within range.

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 890
Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin
Iados Open
right-aligned image

Somehow the corpse fell apart, lifeless limbs collapsing. Still the battle raged around Iados and all he could hear was the clamour and clatter of fighting, interspersed with the occasional feral snarl of a wolf. Iados stepped back, arms trembling and head shaking.

Renata and Darrell were fending off wolves and Zombies, but Aubron had disappeared. Iados let slip the magic holding the brambles in place and they withered and slumped almost immediately, sadness piling on Iados’ conscious as the green rotted to black.

Iados tried to stand his ground. Tried to find the courage that Renata had. But it wasn’t there. Instead Iados only felt the chill creep deeper into his heart. He tried to pull the flames from within but they wouldn’t appear, the comforting warmth nowhere to be found. Iados kept backing up, his torn furs, leather and skin knitting together as he shrank back.

As he moved, his shoulders hunched, and he fell onto all fours. His nose extended into a short snout and Iados felt his bones warp and twist into new shapes. Within seconds Iados was a long, dark furred panther. Exactly like the panther that once stalked the Amphail forest. His tail flicked in the air and he leapt at the nearest wolf, bestial fury overcoming his fear.

His fangs glistened as he leapt at the wolf but the feral beast dodged nimbly out of the way. It snarled and howled, pale wolf and dark panther facing off. The panther padded back and forth and Iados hissed angrily, claws pawing at the graveyard soil, feline instincts pushing him to tear apart the wolf.

OOC
Wild shape into a Panther

Attack Zombie 4
Dice Bite:
1d20+4 (7)+4 Total = 11

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Aladdin; 07-18-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5122
ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones
Tarton Wetfeet
left-aligned image
Tarton Wetfeet
Tarton watched as his allies finally started making some ground on their enemies. He stepped around Maja and raised his crossbow, letting a bolt loose at one of the last remaining wolves. After he fired, he saw the bolt soar through the air and strike the beast in the shoulder, burying itself deeply. As he worked the crank to reload his crossbow, his eyes flicked to the sleeping wolves, making sure they weren't stirring.

OOCAction: Fire crossbow at Wolf 3
Movement: Just far enough to see wolf 3
Reaction: Tarton will cast shield if he is hit
Bonus Action:
OOC:
Rolls:
Dice Crossbow Attack:
d20+4sh11 (18)+4 Total = 22
→ 1d8+2g (8)+2 Total = 10
Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by ColdBones; 07-20-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17935
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Barovia: Tizenegyedik 23, Szerda 7:35AM
right-aligned image
Screams of terror mix with the growls of the ravenous wolves as chaos flows across the mist covered graveyard. Shaede maintains his overwatch position, each arrow he releases putting another rabid wolf down… yet his keen elven ears can hear the sounds of more in the near distance… and closing fast. Renata and Maja are just as effective, one striking out of pure conviction, the other out of pure fear.

Some slip into a resigned state of gallows humor. The scar on Gareth’s face, ever fresh, burns as sweat pours down his worried brow, yet he still quips his jokes… hopefully he can bring more to the battle… it seems as if it will be sorely needed. Iados is unable to see the humor in the situation, depleted as he is. Doru’s ravenous appetite has drained the tiefling of more than just his precious blood… it has taken his strength… his ability to survive. The druid recognizes the danger he is in and he plays the only trump card he can.

As the battle rages around him, Iados form warps and mutates, muscles and bones popping and twisting into an enraged black panther that rushes towards the nearest wolf. The wolf rears up in surprise and fear, just as a crossbow quarrel from Tarton buries itself in its chest. The wolf howls in pain yet still gnashes its teeth aggressively.

The graveyard, for a moment, becomes eerily silent… the sounds of more wolves approaching fades… and in the stillness you hear a heavy grating sound. Your heads turn as one to look across the ruined cemetery towards the dark foreboding crypt that squats over the western side of the graveyard. The remaining wolf bares its teeth and slowly creeps away, tail between its legs. The door of the crypt has opened and the sound of… you try to strain your ears… the sound of clapping reaches you.

Out of the impenetrable darkness a tall, slight figure emerges, walking slowly and calmly towards you. The man is dressed in black leather, a pelt cloak hung about his shoulders. He walks forward and then suddenly disappears and reappears… much closer and you see that he carries a crisp white envelope in his hands. As the man continues to walk forward, his face expressionless, a second, taller figure steps from the crypt… clapping politely, as he too draws nearer.

“My master congratulates you on your efforts… you work well together… and so you live.” The man… you can see now that he has the tell tale elongated ears of an elf… says in a stately voice as he bows towards the Burgomaster’s sister. “My lady… I have been instructed to offer you my master’s condolences on the recent passing of your father. He was a good man.” As he speaks, the man still approaches nearer… the envelope held out for the taking. Ireena, up until this point, cowering in the shadows, slowly pushes her way forward, even as Ismark tries to block her way. Ireena steps over the mangled corpses and comes to a stop between Renata and Gareth. She holds up a hand towards Ismark silencing him and draws a smirk from the elf.

The elf steps forward and with a bowed head, hands the envelope to Ireena. The long suffering woman takes the envelope and with trembling hands opens the letter nestled inside. Her voice uneven, Ireena begins to read aloud.

IreenaDearest Ireena,

It is with the deepest grief that I learn of the death of your kind and noble Father; and, especially, that it is affecting your young heart beyond all sensation. In this sad world of ours, sorrow eventually comes to all; and, to the young, it comes with the bitterest agony, because it so often takes them unaware. Your elders, no doubt, have learned to ever expect it.

I am anxious to afford some alleviation of your present distress. Perfect relief is not possible, except with time. You surely realize now that you will never smile again, is not this so? And yet it is a mistake. You are sure to be happy again. To know this, which is certainly true, will make you some less miserable now. I have had experience enough to know what I say; and you need only believe it to feel your heart warm once again. The memory of your dear Father, instead of an agony, will yet be a sad sweet feeling in your heart, of a purer and holier sort than you have ever known before.

Please present my kind regards to your afflicted brother.

Your lord, master, and love,
Strahd von Zarovich

Ireena's voice breaks multiple times while reading the letter and by the time she is done she is shaking terribly.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 07-20-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja had been shaking with mortal fear when they had been battling the zombies and the pack of wolves that had come closer and closer.

But as she listened to the self-opinionated, insincere words of the man dressed in black leather and to the words in Strahd's letter to Ireena, any fear fell off the girl. It was replaced by barely constrained anger of an intensity she had never felt. She had put her hands on her hips and stepped forward, aweless. The two figures might be more powerful than her, but Maja nevertheless felt strangely safe in the vicinity of Lady Renata, who had proven more than once that Tyr stood behind her.

The mystic moved past the paladin until she stood directly in front of Strahd's messenger. "We don't need, nor do we want your master's congratulations," she began, fixating her gaze on him. "Your words are dishonest and you should be ashamed of yourself."

She had clenched her small fists. "I don't know why you had come here but now that you are here, you can do at least one good deed. Bring me to your master. I feel that I have to give him a piece of my mind. None of us is here just for the fun of it. If you want to play games, just do it! But leave us out of it as well as Ireena and Ismark! I have parents, I have a boyfriend where I come from. I belong there, not here."

By the end of her speech, Maja was breathing heavily. "Now, go and kill me if this is part of your game. However, you know as much as I do that this won't change the truth of my words."
OOCIntimidation: +6.
Psychic Focus

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Disaster Master; 07-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Barovia: Tizenegyedik 23, Szerda 7:35AM
right-aligned image
The courier smiles briefly at Maja’s bravado and then speaks in a measured tone. “I am but a messenger… The words are not mine and the veracity behind them I would not care to question.” He raises a solitary eyebrow in apparent warning as his master, hearing the mystic’s words, walks briskly forward to stand next to his chamberlain.

Count Strahd von Zarovich is a pale man apparently in his late twenties or early thirties. His jet-black hair is kept swept back from his face, resulting in a prominent brow and widow’s peak. His dark, liquid eyes have an intensity that makes whoever meets his gaze physically nervous. He adornments are a tasteful ruby-and-gold necklace and a gold signet ring. His physique is lean but obviously muscular, an inch or two more than six feet. Strahd stares at Maja… saying nothing for a few moments, as if digesting her harsh words.

Finally he speaks, his voice soft… not at all what you would expect. “You believe my words to be dishonest?" Strahd says as he nods his head slightly. “And from what vantage point do you make that pronouncement? From your words I would think that you believe that I caused the death of the Burgomaster.” He stares through Maja, sending a chill running through her entire body. “I did not… his death was and is regrettable… and should have been avoided… but we all make our choices.” As he says this, the ruler of Barovia looks directly at Ireena. “You still have a choice my love… a choice you have made many... many... times before if you would but remember.”

Count Zarovich’s voice is laced with sadness as he reaches towards Ireena, inviting her to take his hand.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 07-20-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 890
Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin
Iados Open
right-aligned image

Iados’ senses were alive with excitement. His fear was a distant memory as his feline instincts kicked in. He could feel the soft dirt beneath his paws, could smell the copper tang of blood in the air and could feel the soft breeze tickling his fur. But then it all went silent as the messenger and the stranger approached. The warmth in the air faded, and Iados blinked as the colours around him seemed to dull. He felt reinvigorated, alive again in his new body, but this feeling seemed to be sucking the life out of everything around him.

Iados smelled them before he saw them, their outlines crisp and hard in his new eyes. He padded over softly, watching intently as the elf handed over his letter, and hissed as Strahd approached. Too quick. Far too quick. Iados’ tail flicked angrily as the Count spoke, his soft voice like perfume. Inviting and seductive. But there was an edge to it. Something hard underneath. Iados’ ears twitched at the sound, unsure of how to define it. He stalked towards Ireena, his instincts telling him that this wasn’t someone to be trusted. Even the smell of Strahd and his courier was suspect, musty and heavy. Dry. Not at all like any other living being.

His throat rumbled in warning as Strahd reached a hand out to Ireena and his claws flexed, raking the ground beneath him. His back lowered and eyes narrowed he looked like a hunter watching it’s prey, legs tense as he readied himself to pounce.

OOC
Panther HP: 13/13

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Maja
left-aligned image
It was the devil himself! The taller figure was Strahd von Zarovich!

Maja knew that she should be awestruck. She waited for the paralyzing fear to struck once more. But all she felt was a cold shiver running down her spine. Was it because she had finally become apathetic after all that she had had to endure in Strahd's realm? Or was it because she had inwardly realized that her earlier words had left no way back anymore?

The vampire spoke in an aristocratic, charming language to them. Maja wasn't the daughter of a noble and she wasn't nearly as eloquent. But she wouldn't let him twist her around his little finger as much as she hoped that Ireena wouldn't let him either.

Maja took her time to think of a reply. "Whether you have caused the death of the Burgomaster or not, I don't know, Count. But my heart tells me that the sympathy you try to express is insincere. The next thing you will tell me is that you regret the death of Donavich and his son as well."

"Maybe you just don't know it better," Maja spoke up. "Contrary to all of us, you are dead. You don't own a heart that tells you what is right and what is wrong. I don't know why you are still living around as an undead, but when we have laid you to rest as we did with Doru, your pain will have finally come to an end."

The girl looked between him and Ireena. "How can you love her when you are dead? And why it must be her? And what are the choices in the past you spoke about? If you need a trophy, take me and let Ireena go!"

For a moment, only the beating of Maja's heart could be heard.
Psychic Focus

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Disaster Master; 07-21-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6353
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Renata Tyrfille
left-aligned image

"He will have no captives today," declares Renata. She looked to Strahd. "This girl is under our protection," she informed him, "and therefore the protection of my lord Tyr.

"Speak plainly: what is your relationship with this family? How have you insinuated yourself? What do you want of them, and us?"

OOCInsight into his honesty:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
(7)

Mechanics

Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3830
OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool
Gareth Blackcroft
left-aligned image

Still breathing heavily from the recent exertions of combat, Gareth watches in measured silence as first the messenger, and then apparently Strahd himself, approach the group. The rogue frowns, unsettled by their ability to seemingly materialize from the land itself, but then a horrifying chant winds its way through his memory.

I am the Ancient. I am the land.

Gareth barely suppresses a shudder and forces himself to focus on the new arrivals. The Enemy. Or were they? The pair, despite the immediate hostility from some of his comrades, seem to keep their composure. The rogue watches Ireena from the corner of his eye, the woman clearly shaken, but she reads Strahd's letter aloud nonetheless.

As words are exchanged, Gareth's mind races, and in a heartbeat he makes a decision. Even as Renata applies her trademark forthright style to the situation, Gareth takes a half step forward and grasps Strahd's outstretched hand with his own while bowing slightly from the waist. The gesture is something between casual handshake and formal introduction.

"Count Zarovich, well met. I am Gareth Blackcroft, most recently of a land far from here, and a humble guest in your lands, for the time being. Please forgive my friends, it has been a long few days, and now we meet you unexpectedly at a time of mourning."

Gareth holds the handshake a moment too long, a breath beyond what is customary, gazing into Strahd's face. The man affects an easy smile, but it is marred by the vicious scar that runs red and angry down his face. Finally releasing the Count's hand, Gareth steps back next to Renata and Ireena.

"Clearly we have many questions, as I'm sure you must. The Burgomaster and his sister have been kind to us, and my friends simply wish to return the favor. I think hearing you out will do much to set my friends at ease."

Gareth turns his smile first on Renata, then Maja. After a moment he glances at Ireena, holding her gaze for a heartbeat, the look full of meaning.

"What do you think, Ireena?"

OOC
Insight checks as well, trying to get a sense of who Strahd really is:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2 (13)+2 Total = 15

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by OldSchool; 07-22-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Maja
left-aligned image
"Gareth!" Maja shrank back in horror when the rogue took Strahd's outstretched hand and hinted at a bow.

"What is the point of that?" the mystic addressed her friend alarmed after he had finished his speech to the vampire. "Either you mean your words the way you said them — in which case I have been deceived in you — or you are as insincere to the Count as he has been to us!"

She threw her arms up in indignation. "Guests? Humble guests? Have you been listening to yourself? We are no guests. We are this vampire's prisoners!"

Lowering her arms again, Maja calmed down a bit. She looked at the young man beseechingly. "Gareth, think of Rose and Thorn. Of Walter. Their parents wronged them but it was Strahd who was the driving the force behind that. Remember the letter we had found in the Death House. The coldness of the vampire's words. Think of Doru! Ten years he had spent in agony. Brutal pain, every day."

Maja had long lost her composure. Now she was losing her faith in her friend. "And what are you doing, Gareth?" asked rhetorically and her voice almost failed her. "You curry favor with him."

By the end of her speech, tears ran down her cheeks. Even so, she had once more the courage to turn to the tall figure of the land's ruler. "I can only speak for myself, undead, but this I will do. Contrary to Gareth's words, you don't have to forgive me. I meant every single word the way I said it. If my parents taught me one thing it was to be honest and to be true to one's heart."
Psychic Focus

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Disaster Master; 07-22-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
Barovia: Tizenegyedik 23, Szerda 7:38AM
right-aligned image
Ireena, still trembling, backs away from the Count’s outstretched hand to stand quietly, eyes downcast behind Renata and her brother. Strahd nods his head slightly and releases a slow sigh, one that seems to have been held for centuries. He lowers his finely manicured hand and looks once again at Maja, his head tilted as he regarded the small woman as she continues to chastise him.

“For the second time you accuse me of causing death. For the second time with incomplete knowledge of the facts. This is a foolish thing to do.” Strahd says as thunderclaps suddenly ring out across the sky, lightning arcing horizontally through the gathering angry clouds. “Doru was not accepted by his father… a domineering man of hypocritical faith. Donavich thought he could control who his son loved… anything but another man.” Doru looks at Renata, resplendent in her armor of steel and faith. “What would the flock say if the priest’s son was a wayward sheep?”

“I merely did as Doru asked… begged really. I set the boy free… physically, mentally, and emotionally. His father, in turn, chained him like a beaten dog.” Strahd turns his cold gaze upon Maja, all softness gone from his features. “Facts are important child.” Renata, straight forward as usual, declares "This girl is under our protection, and therefore the protection of my lord Tyr. Speak plainly: what is your relationship with this family? How have you insinuated yourself? What do you want of them, and us?"

Count Zarovich looks down and rubs the bridge of his nose with his hand. He raises his eyes to meet Renata’s and still speaking softly says. “Ireena has made her decision and I will respect it.” Strahd begins to turn his back on the group, just as Gareth steps forward and latches onto his hand. Count Strahd Von Zarovich freezes in place, his eyes burning in outrage. Gareth introduces himself and says many other things, but his words are wasted as Strahd stares at the hand that dares touch him. Maja rushes forward, desperate to understand the thief’s actions. Strahd watches impassively and with a flick of his wrist, Gareth’s hand is thrown away and Strahd looks to his chamberlain. “Rahadin?”

Immediately the heart breaking sound of thousands of tortured souls rings out in the minds of Renata, Maja, and Gareth. The sound is enough to leech whatever residual hope was left inside their souls and they feel as if they are falling into an unending well of eternal torment. Count Zarovich turns on his heel and with his faithful servant walks towards the cemetary gates just as an opulent black carriage pulled by a team of four midnight horses comes to a stop.

Strahd turns back to the group and looks towards the hissing panther, up until now ignored. "Come... come with me." he says as he turns to continue walking.

OocRenata, Gareth, Maja make a DC 16 Wisdom save. if you save you take 8 damage. If not 16.
Iados make a Dc 17 wisdom save or be charmed.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 07-22-2019 at 09:56 AM.