RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1683
Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl
Darab'at
right-aligned image

As the group makes it way through the cavern to meet the ogres Darab'at begins to feel anxious. Dealing with ogres isn't something he had the misfortune of having to do before. Tryggva is worn-out and injured, certainly does not look up to another battle. Thankfully Brook is there, now in her canine form, clearly keeping a close watch on the barbarian. White, too, seems to be hoping to avoid confrontation, but the halfling has craftily tried to make some arrangements for back-up if things go poorly. Hopefully it won't come to that. Mialee...well, she's always ready to fight.

The massive ogres come into view and the group makes their way through some of the stalagmites before coming to a halt. Darab'at takes a few steps forward and clears his throat to ensure he's gotten both of the beasts' attention.
"Mmm. Good day to you both, Mighty Nob and Mighty Thog!" He makes an exaggerated, ceremonial bow and gestures to himself and the party. "I am Darab'at, a wandering musician of the Bedine folk, and these are my companions. We are here on behalf of Snigbat as we are... business associates...of a sort." He pauses a moment to let the ogers digest the large words.

"Snigbat has mentioned to us that you were unwilling to shift your loyalty from Hark to herself. Your loyalty is admirable!! Loyalty is a great quality! A quality that good, strong leaders depend upon." He shrugs his shoulders and spreads his arms. "Unfortunately Hark was not a very good leader, as you ca see how most of the goblins here have quite readily shifted their allegiance to Snigbat. He also wasn't particularly strong, as his corpse now lies rotting a few chambers away."

Darab'at takes an optimistic expression and motions his arms, offering encouragement "But please! Do not be distressed over the loss of Hark. For if you really think about it, Hark is no loss at all. This is actually a fantastic opportunity for both Mighty Nob AND Mighty Thog! Snigbat is now running the show in these caves. And Snigbat has many great qualities that, I'm sure you would have to admit if you thought about it, we most certainly lacking in weak old Hark. She's extremely sly, very clever. Hark certainly wasn't. She is VERY articulate, and speaks near perfect common. I never heard Hark speak with more than two-syllable words. Also, Snigbat is highly motivated, very much looking to get ahead. Old Hark was content to sit and play disgusting games with his pet rats.

Hoping to seal the deal, Darab'at adopts a sales-pitch tone. "Snigbat sounds great, doesn't she? Well I've talked to her, and this is actually your lucky day, Might Nob and Might Thog! Even though Hark is gone, Snigbat admires your massive bulk and your mighty strength, and would LOVE for you both to now work with HER. I am sure you would have plenty of food and entertainment, just as it had been with Hark. And, of course, continued access to this lovely mudbath. All the same benefits as before, but with even better leadership. What a deal!"

Looking serious now, the bard leans in. "So what sayeth you, Mighty Nob? And you, Mighty Thog? Are you willing to make the pledge? Are you willing to follow Snigbat's lead? I'd hate for her to change her mind before you've had the chance to come to your good senses and agree to pledge to her. That would be very sad. So sad. But I'm sure that ogres as strong, and might, and smart as yourselves wouldn't make THAT mistake. Ogres like that would probably want to go ahead and agree right away!"

With that Darab'at cocks his head and awaits a response, very much hoping he hasn't made them angry

Action!

Stat Block

”Distilling is beautiful. First of all, because it is a slow, philosophic, and silent occupation, which keeps you busy but gives you time to think of other things, somewhat like riding a bike.” -Primo Levi, The Periodic Table

Last edited by Simandl; 08-04-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 PM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8117
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Dripping Caves
right-aligned image
Nob
As the Bard steps forward beginning to address the two ogres his voice echoes throughout the cave. "WHAT WEAK HOOMAN SAY?!" the male ogre yelled standing up from his mud bath his head nearly reaching the top of the cave. Reaching over and grabbing his greatclub he started stomping his way towards the party near the stalagmite forest. "WHERE HARK?! HOW HOOMAN GET PASS MIGHTY NOB?" he roared lifting his greatclub up to strike at the half-elf before him."YOU SHUT UP!" a large thick fist flew out from the stalagmite forest connecting with Nob's jaw sending him and his club sprawling to the floor. The party was preparing themselves to have to fight against these mighty foes but paused seeing Nob get thrown to the ground. The second ogre emerged from the stalagmites shouldering a greatclub of her own looking over at the ogre on the ground "GET UP WEAK NOB! SMALL MAN SAY HARK DEAD! NO FIGHT" she walked up to the group and sat down suddenly causing a mighty clap and shook the cave as her large posterior hit the ground. "You" she pointed at Darab'at "you say funny words. Keep talking..." Thog grumbled as the bard continued.

left-aligned image
Thog
Nob eventually pulled himself off the ground and began coming back over in a rage when Thog took her club and swung it in a wide crescent arc that sent a large gust rushing past all of you as you watch the club threatening to strike you pass right by and connect with Nob’s leg. A loud cry rang out as he collapsed before all of you clearly demonstrating the power dynamic between the two. The ogre lay before you sobbing as Thog gave the glance to Darab’at for him to continue. As he spoke she listened intently, whether she understood everything or not was a different story. A loud "Hnmmmm…" was heard from Thog after the bard finished. She took about two minutes just thinking and bouncing the club on her shoulder. She then stood up leaving Nob on the ground "Fine! Thog listen to small Snigbat for now!" with that she began to make her way back to the stalagmites then stopped and looked at Nob "Get off floor weak Nob!" she bellowed jabbing him with her foot causing a pained cry to be heard. Letting out a sigh that caused a wave of dust to blow away on the she continued in to the forest and sat back down on a large flat rock slab staring at the group with a smirk. Primarily Darab’at, obviously impressed by his wit.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3136
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain

Mialee NailoElven Archfey Warlock

Mialee finished rummaging through the corpses of the slain goblins and found a few coins and a healing potion, which she stowed, but their leather armor and scimitar she left where they were, having no need for either.

After white had finished talking with the woman, the group followed Snigbat toward the cavern where the ogres resided. Darab'at intended to speak with the ogres to attempt and reason with them. She thought him daft for even trying. There was no reasoning with an ogre.

"Nine Hells," she said under he breath as the two ogres agreed to listen to the bard's argument and ultimately follow Sigbat.

Once they were away from the camp, Mialee turned to the bard and punched him in the arm. "Well done, Darab'at. That tongue of yours really is talented.

Still, I am a little disappointed at not getting to go toe-to-toe with those ogres. You have to admit, that would have been a glorious battle."

"I suppose we should run ahead of the returning townsfolk and see if they have a town to return to."

Old 08-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 861
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Tryggva
left-aligned image

Tryggva snorted at Mialee's words but kept his mouth shut. He was too tired to argue and besides her type never listened anyway; he had been in enough drunken arguments to know. So he just thought his dark thought alone, dragging along at the rear of the party.

Glorious battle, what a pot of hot steaming piss. Battle wasn't glorious, it was ugly and brutal and either you or, preferably, someone else ended up dying ingloriously in a mess of blood, torn flesh, and released bowels. And most likely, some poor kid was going to end up hungry and sick because his idiot father or mother thought that battle was glorious and honorable.

If Tryggva had any other skills in life he would give up this "glorious life" in a second to clean latrine pits or herd goats, but he didn't and he wasn't going to learn any and all he could do about it was to drink himself into a state where he didn't have to think about it. After he slept.

And he was still Still about 8 down after Derek's second healing spell far as I can telllimping and bleeding from nasty rat bites which would probably get infected. Pot of piss about described his life pretty well.

Character Sheet

Last edited by penbeast0; 08-05-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:12 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 842
cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77
left-aligned image
Three times White started to give the signal to the ...hopefully... waiting archers to fire. All three times she returned her hands to normal as Darab’at flawlessly guided the ogres to his perspective. Hopefully Snigbat was able to observe something useful anyway... Whites thoughts turn to the immediate necessities now that the ogres are handled.

Expertly digging an object out of tryggva’s pack,

careful not to disturb or dislodge anything else, white carries the bulky parcel on her shoulders as she seeks out Snigbat. "Snigbat, we have fulfilled our part of the bargain and you now have two ogres at your disposal. Shall we get the towns people out of your hair now?"

Upon seeing the survivors, White scans them for a likely dwarf and says, "we found this armor at the inn in Nightstone. I suspect that whoever it belongs to will be more useful to us inside of it..." White uncovers the bulky package to reveal the armor from the chest in Nightstone, curious to meet the owner, "we should probably find you a weapon too eh?"
Old 08-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl
Darab'at
right-aligned image

Darab’at felt the release from a massive burden as Thog, eventually, agreed to follow Snigbat. With a formal bow and gesture of departure to the ogres he turned to move back towards his companions, musing that Derek must have put in a good word for him with Tymora. A massive sigh of relief escaped the bard, sweat beading on his brow and his legs quivering as he finally allowed his body a delayed react to the stress. He contemplated how spent the effort made him feel but when he caught sight of the bedraggled Tryggva, Brook-as-wolf loyally standing watch at his side, he supposed he might not know what true exhaustion even felt like.

He was grateful for the words of praise from Mialee. The familial physical contact felt meaningful, coming from the terse elf, and was appreciated even if it was a slug in the arm. To her comments, Darab’at responded “Mmm. Battles certainly make better subjects for ballads than does banter.” He casts a wary look back at the ogres. “I’ll settle on being happy to be able to sing again at all. I’m don’t think we’d have fared Thog’s repeated thrashings quite as well as Nob.

When they met back up with Snigbat, Darab’at nodded and “Mmm’d” as White spoke. After the dealings are complete and the villagers released, the bard approaches the goblin leader. “It appears our deal is settled. I trust you will keep in the good faith of the bargain and refrain from molesting the NightStone folk in the future?” Before parting ways with her, he takes the opportunity to ask one last query of the goblin boss. “You clearly have a sharp mind and an eye for detail, Snigbat. What do you make of the unusual sightings and behaviors of the giant-kin of late? Have your folk had any run-ins with them?

Action!

Stat Block

”Distilling is beautiful. First of all, because it is a slow, philosophic, and silent occupation, which keeps you busy but gives you time to think of other things, somewhat like riding a bike.” -Primo Levi, The Periodic Table
Old 08-07-2019, 11:54 AM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
Dripping Cave
right-aligned image
Snigbat
As the ogre's became settled once more after Thog accepted the bard's proposal the group turned north, north-west and saw a familiar goblin sitting atop a rock about forty feet away with a crooked smile on her face. As they approached White moved ahead and spoke to the new boss of the goblins "yes, yes, I see you are all still alive - which means my spot as boss has been sealed" her smile widens as she crossed her legs to get more comfortable on the rock while producing a large grub from a pouch that rest by her side and popped it in her mouth like candy. "The villagers are all yours" she said as she munched on the grub creating a sickly wet squishing noise as she chewed. "I'm a woman of my word and smart to boot. You don't need to worry about these fools attacking your precious town - I have a new venture idea in mind after speaking with one of the villagers that should pan out better for both of us." she swallowed the grub and then gave a shooing motion to her left side towards the pens where the villagers were held. "Go on and get them and get them out of my cave. Oh - don't take the closest exit either, go the one over past the two knuckleheads." she warned and one by one the group ventured to the pens.

As most of the group begins to walk towards the pens Darab'at halts and asks one more question of the newly appointed Boss of the Goblins. "I try and stay out of business that's not my own. Giants, or so I've heard, are bound to a hierarchy of power much like us - though a bit different. If they're acting up then something must've messed with that hierarchy, dont'cha think?" she said getting down off of the rock and looking up at the half-elf "Go get your villagers now." she shooed once more.

left-aligned image
Morak Ur'gray
Walking past a group of goblins that either smiled in the way of a mischievous child or completely ignored them the team started down a narrow tunnel that opened up into a new room that reeked to high heaven of bat guano. The path trailed down into an alcove where a makeshift pen was erected using the raised walls on the north, east and south side. Only the western side needed a few planks of wood. As the group approached they saw a group of about twenty-eight people all huddled together, the maid the had saved earlier, Daphne, was now among them trying to cheer people up speaking loudly of the adventurers who were there to save them. Most of the villagers were not listening, with the exception of one shield dwarf who was sitting cross-legged on the ground completely fixed on her words like a child being told a story.

As you approach one of the goblins calls out something into the air and is echoed by two more. Three goblins come scurrying from the shadows and work together to push the gate pen open and then stood there calmly waiting for the villagers to leave. As you enter the pen some of you give a glare at the goblins fully ready for them to try and backstab you and close you in. One even thinks of it and begins to move when a "Ahem!" is heard coming from the entrance of the small tunnel where Snigbat stood with crossed arms glaring at them. The one goblin cowers back into position and doesn't make a peep after.

Upon seeing you Daphne's face lights up "Its them! Its them! Morak, these are the adventurer's I was telling you of!" The shield dwarf slowly gets himself off the ground letting out a pained groan as he did and stretched. He had been sitting too long and his body was rebelling against having to move. "Are they now lassie?" he began to approach and looked over the group. He was an older dwarf with a gray beard that has over taken most of his face. His lips weren't even visible amidst all the facial hair. His frame was stocky and his clothes were coated in dirt and starting to tear from this whole ordeal.

"Pleasure ta make yer acquaintance to tha lot o ya. Morak Ur'gray, proprietor o tha Nightstone Inn - fore them giants came of course." he said with a hearty, yet somehow sad, chuckle. White moved forward with the chain mail suit stating where they found it warranting a suspicious, yet curious eye from the dwarf. "Aye, that be me old battlin suit - though I left it behind in me locked chest since it twas rainin bloody boulders. Curious how ye got it but I suppose that be neither here nor there." he said taking the suit and began to don it. Once ready he looked at the group "Shall we then lads?" Morak said full of confidence then began to march out of the pen with the villagers following behind. As he made it to the top of the tunnel he stopped and looked at Snigbat who simply said "I'll train a few of them and send them your way. If they're no good tell me so I can kill them for being failures. By the way, the one in the funny clothes got the ogres under my thumb now!~" she smiled receiving only a nod as Morak continued on.

As you neared she looked at you with the same crooked smile "You really changed the dynamic of the area, I hope you know this. Morak and I have been talking and plotting a coup to overthrow Hark for the past few days. With me in charge we're going to try a mercantile way of life instead. If you ever happen to see a goblin wearing a yellow bandana - that's one of mine. They'll help you out." as she finished a terrified male scream is heard as one of the villagers caught sight of the ogres and took off for the east exit "NO YOU FOOL THATS THE WRONG-" Snigbat tried to shout but it was too late the villager was already barreling down the tunnel. A moment later a confused yelp followed by screams for help were heard echo'ing from the tunnel. "He's beyond help!" she shouted up to Morak who's shoulders slumped in defeat. "Damn fool went down the tunnel of the black death." she grumbled and looked at your confused look and sighed "A gigantic black slime lives down there. We've kept it at bay with torches but it is hard to damage and even corrodes weapons and armor. It's too much trouble so we left it and plan to continue doing so. I'm sorry for the loss of a villager but it was not by goblin hands so our agreement still stands." she said defensively her crooked smile gone from her face Fun fact!~
That was the tunnel I was going to send you down if you didn't go down the chimney or couldn't find any other entrances (which you didn't)
It would've been a hell of a fight.
{note}
Nightstone
right-aligned image
The group of adventurers and villagers eventually leave the cave and head south-west back towards town keeping their eyes and ears open for any sounds of the orc raiders they evaded earlier. After almost a half-hour of walking at a slowed paced due to all of the villagers they see a billowing tower of smoke rising in the air in the direction of the town and decide to pick up the pace. Almost another half-hour of walking and they come upon a large hill and decide to scale it to gain a better vantage point of the land. At the crest of the hill many fears came to fruition as they saw off in the distance the smoldering village that was once Nightstone. "No! How could this of happened?!" Morak says utterly defeated as various cries and angered shouts are heard from the group of villagers seeing their homes in ruin from the boulders and fires that have mostly died down.

Continuing towards the village you see the area is littered with the bodies of orcish raiders all wearing bare minimum hide armor and wielding weapons of almost abysmal quality. The draw bridge is lowered and one of the mercenaries that you saw before was actively dragging a body out and throwing it into the mote that surrounded the town. When he looked up and saw the group of villagers returning he quickly wiped his hand off on his shirt of the blood that coated it and let out a long high-pitched series of whistles that echoed through the area then looked back at the group with a faux smile. "Welcome home - well, whats left of it. We're currently still in the process of cleaning."

"By tha All Father's hammer wha in ta blazed appened ere!" Morak shouted as he approached

"Well, after these 'ere adventurers left a band o orcs decided to show up and try to raze the town. Had us pushed back to the keep 'fore we could pluck off enough of them to start pushing back. Good news, though, they gave up and left!" the mercenary said with a optimistic tone about him and started walking back inside. Morak immediately heads to his inn as the town folk begin to scatter to their various homes to see what they can save.

OODMEveryone gets the free custom feat Dripping Cave goblins will help you out to the best of their abilities if they encounter you in the wilderness.

You also gain ADV when performing any skill check that uses Charisma against a goblinkin, even if its not from the Dripping Caves
Snigbat's Partner for how things went down.

The town is the result of a lot of dice rolls that I did while on my mini-vaca. Orcs almost had the town. "Mercenaries" won in the end. The church and most residential areas have been burned to the ground. The trading post has been raided of all equipment/stock and the inn has been voided of any remaining food/beverages. Beds are still there, though. The keep seems to be in great shape though.

I am going to be treating this part as downtime for you guys, if you want to investigate what's going on in the town, go for it. If you want to rest up Morak will welcome you gladly into his in and also show you where he hid his emergency ale for those wanting to drink. If you want to craft you'll need to use your own supplies or you can give me an investigation roll and I'll see what you are able to salvage for crafting.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Darab'at
right-aligned image

Darab’at enjoyed a deep breath once they were finally able to depart the globins’ warrens, savoring the freshness and noticeable absence of that thick ammoniaic flavor of bat guano. He was relieved that their group was unmolested on the march from the caves to the village. While he maintained alert towards threats during the short journey, his mind wandered a bit toward the events at the caves and the unlikely, but seemingly favorable, relationship that resulted with the goblins of the Dripping Caves.
———————-
Having viewed the destruction from atop the hill Darab’at wore a solemn expression as the party, along with several dozen villagers, approached the drawbridge leading into Nightstone. In response to the mercenary’s comments, the bard replied “Mmm. We too met, and dealt with, a raiding party as we made our way to the caves.” Eying the orcish corpses bobbing together in the moat, he furrowed his brow and suggested “Perhaps better we drag these outside the villages to burn by pyre. This looks to be recipe for disease and vermin.”

As the villagers scatter to salvage what they can, Darab’at turns addresses his companions. “I propose we stay here a few days. Rest up.” He nods knowingly toward Tryggva. “We might try to help them get the necessities back in order, ensure their needs of shelter, game, and firewood are met. I’d like to spend some time working side-by-side with these townsfolk, learn what I can about the Nightstone and what the giants interest might be in it. But first...” He casts his gaze toward the keep and flicks a nod in its direction. “I think I’d like to try to pay a visit this Lady Nandar.

Action!

Stat Block

Last edited by Simandl; 08-09-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain

Mialee Nailo
Elven Archfey Warlock

Mialee walked with the others as they entered town. Although she had already seen the devastation caused by the giants' attack, the town was somehow in an even worse state now. Her traveling companions and the townsfolk disbursed into Nightstone, each with their own agenda.

She walked toward the inn and could not help thinking of the band of orcs that had retreated, still roaming somewhere. Not to mention the random giant attack, which they still knew too little about. They needed answers, and now that these these people were safe, she needed to check on her own.

She followed the dwarf Morak into what was left of the inn.

"Dwarf", she called after him. "When the others ask where I have gone, tell them I shall return in a few days time." With that, she stepped back outside and was about to leave, but noticed that there were somehow still two horses that had survived, kept in the remnants of the stable near the inn.

She approached the horses and began saddling one, provided that no one attempted to stop her. Assuming these horses belonged to the mercenaries, she knew they would not be happy about her taking the horse, but she did have every intention of returning it.

Once saddled, she mounted the horse and rode straight out of town, with Ardeep Forest as her destination.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:59 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 842
cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77 cchrome77
left-aligned image
Scowling distrustfully at the mercenary and his no doubt coded whistle, White ambles towards what’s left of the inn. Seeing only the two horses she turns back and asks the mercenary, "Where have Xildar and Kella gone?" Whatever else they were, apparently they were pretty good at fighting orcs, so she was curious as to their plans.

After questioning the man, White follows Morak to the inn where she shares some rations and gladly accepts a drink. When Darab’at mentions heading to the keep, White gets up to join him and retrieves the climbing kit.

Preparing to head out she walks up to Morak once more and says in a sheepishly quiet voice, "I am sorry for your losses. Hopefully these will go a small way towards helping you recover. I was truly just keeping them safe for you after I broke your chest open, we were searching for clues as to what happened and... and there was this strange woman locked in one of your rooms and... and her mercenary friends too but that was the next day and I thought we might have to fight them...and we weren’t sure where you all were...or....well anyway, sorry and... well I hope we can still be friends..." White produces the 45 gold, two gems, and potion of heroism from Moraks chest out of her pack and places them on the table next to Him, trying to gauge his reaction.

Soon after, she is accompanying Darab’at to investigate the keep.

Last edited by cchrome77; 08-09-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:30 PM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
NightstoneThe first afternoon back in Nightstone was one wrought with sadness and anguish as villagers searched through the rubble trying to reclaim anything they could to salvage the life they once had. During their search they found the crushed remains of those unlucky enough to escape from their homes during the Giant's onslaught. A handful of homes that weren't demolished by the boulder rain were burned in the orc raid. What god had they angered to bring about such wrath? Even the church was gone. The deities have surly left this forsaken town.

Inside the Nightstone inn Morak looks about the ransacked main floor with a wry smile beneath his beard. It was bad, but not beyond salvation. He pondered if he was as good with a hammer as he remembers and how long it would truly take to repair everything. As he made his way to the kitchen he heard the voice of Mialee call out to him. Turning around he saw the elf standing in the doorway declaring her intentions before leaving towards the stables. When she was gone he returned to checking his kitchen checking the floorboards as Tryggva entered into the inn. "Ah-ha! Knew those cobbled legged chicken shites wouldn't find ya!" he laughed triumphantly looking towards the barbarian. "Care fer a drink lad?" he said as he slowly pulled a large two-foot wide barrel out of the floor with a bit of help from Tryggva. "This ere be me "emergency ale." Just in case o emergencies - I feel Giants destroying our homes nd gettin kidnap be emergecny enough!" he laughed lifting the keg onto a table and began searching for a tap. After some time he found one off in the corner by the corpse of a goblin with a bolt in it's head. Wiping it off he returned and fastened it to the barrel and poured Tryggva a round into a chipped wooden tankard and patted him on the shoulder "Don drink ta much now, I need ta check out tha rest o-" he stopped as White entered the tavern.

She had just returned from inquiring about Xolkin and Kella to find that there were casualties on the mercenaries side as well, but he wouldn't tell her who no matter how much she pressed. She figured he didn't want to let her in on how strong/weak their forces were and was already risking things by telling her of the deaths. As she approached Morak turned and found another tankard that leaked a bit when he finished pouring ale into it. "That's a weird way o goin bout things there, lass. Stealin ta prevent stuff fer bein stolen - though ye prolly didn't know if'n I twas dead r alive so as I told ya before." he handed her the tankard "It be neither here nor there - keep ta potion, ye earned it fer what ye did I suppose." As she finished her drink and prepared to leave to meet up with Darab'at to visit the Keep she noticed Morak following along.

As the two left the inn they spotted Darab'at standing in the square waiting for them and proceeded along the road towards the keep. Derek was seen off by the church assisting the priest, who use to call it home, trying to figure out what to do with all the broken glass and giant worg corpses that were left inside that were now sprouting plants on them. As they neared the Trading Post that Kella stayed in the previous night, Morak stopped them both "I heard wha happened ta ol Darthag, owner of this ere shop. Daphne told me that she would've been next if'n it weren't fer ya saving her from ta rats that done killed him. Ye mind if'n I get something from here real quick?" before either could answer he opened the door to find Brook diligently working away and repairing as many tools as she could find with a small crowd of amazing villagers watching her work. "Oi! If'n ya have time ta stand nd gawk ya have time ta repair, git ta work!" the dwarf shouted causing the villagers to disperse. "Sorry ta scatter yer fans." he said walking over to a cabinet, opening it up, and pulling out a pair of thick leather boots with grayish-white fur trimming on it and went back outside leaving the front door open.

He walked up to Darab'at and handed him the boots "I'm sure Darthag would've wanted ye ta have these after saving the rest o tha town. He told me once they were special boots meant fer the cold this ere land kin bring about." as the bard takes the leather boots he can feel they are cold to the touch and can sense they are definitely enchanted with some form of magic. @Simandl
Item infoBoots of the Winterlands
Wonderous Item, Uncommon (Requires Attunement)

These furred boots are snug and feel quite warm. While you wear them, you gain the following benefits:
  • You have resistance to cold damage.
  • You ignore difficult terrain created by ice or snow. You can tolerate temperatures as low as -50 degrees Fahrenheit (-45.5 C) without any additional protection. If you wear heavy clothes, you can tolerate temperatures as low as -100 degrees Fahrenheit (-73 C).
{note}

After handing over the boots Morak parted ways with the two and went off to check the rest of the town before returning to Tryggva in his inn. The two continued their way south towards the bridge that was once broken - and still was in very bad shape. But there seemed to be long half-sawed logs that made dangerous - yet feasible walking planks across the holes in the bridge leading up to keep. As they passed the gate to the inner bailey they saw blood just about damn near everywhere with a small pile of orc bodies off in the corner with a few human bodies that appeared to be the guards who were posted here when the giants attacked. The two continued on through the front door where they entered the great hall where they happened upon four guards and four of the mercenaries arguing over a table where a dead well dressed female was laid out with her hands placed over her chest as if in a casket. The only noticeable person among the mercenaries was Kella who seemed to be arguing with them over what should be done next with the body. Xolkin was missing from the scene.
Ardeep ForestHaving just left town on horseback Mialee comfortably strides through the woodlands with her ears perked listening for possible orc raiding parties. It would be nice if she would never have to see another orc for as long as she lived! Though she was sure that would not be the case.

After hours upon hours of riding she finally came upon a small elven village that rested off the edge of the river. "Halt!" was heard shouted in elven as she approached. Looking up she saw two high-elven archers with bows at the ready aiming at her. When they saw it was a fellow elf they loosened the tension but still held up their bows "State your business."

Past them you can see a small plume of dark smoke billowing up into the sky. Mialee knew right away that was a ceremony in honor of the dead. This village had obviously taken casualties from the recent raid. Had her group slain some of those that drew blood here earlier in the day? "Go on, haven't all day!"
ChurchPicking up one of the shattered pieces of stained glass off the ground from when the Worg that laid in front of him came bursting through Derek could see his reflection in the glass looking back at him. For a brief moment he could see his reflection smiling at him when he wasn't and heard the faint sound of a coin being flipped. He blinked and looked at his reflection once more, it was no longer smiling but in the background he could briefly make out one of the blades of the windmill.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:43 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 645
IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25
Derek
right-aligned image
Derek
The brief glimpse of the reflection brought Derek back to his vision. He smiled, knowing Tymora was with him. He turned to the priest.

"A building can be restored, but faith is hard to come by. Especially, when such calamity befalls the people. I can tell you for certain that The Lady Luck, Mistress Tymora, guided me to my group which in turn found their way to free you and the other vilagers. Maybe once this place is a bit more liveable, we could set up a shrine in her honor."

Derek flash one of his goodwill smiles at the priest and continued to work on clearing the debris.

"Who knows, she may see fit to have more luck come your way?"

Action/Stats

Old 08-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Darab'at
right-aligned image

As Morak hands Darab’at the boots the bard’s expression briefly demonstrates surprise before morphing towards and honest smile polite appreciation. He bows gracefully as he accepts the gift. “We did only what we felt was right. But, thank you.” He holds up the pair of fur-trimmed boots to momentarily admire them. “Being no stranger to the cold I am certain these fine boots will be put to good service, and I would be pleased to honor Darthag’s memory in their use.”

Approaching the planks over the span to the keep Darab’at pauses to allow White to go first. After admiring how nimbly and confidently the halfling is able to negotiate the questionable bridge the bard makes a go of it himself, crossing much slower and necessitating concentration.

As Darab’at and White approach those gathered around the casket, the bard makes eye contact with the mercenaries and guards and offers a courteous nod of greeting. He tilts his head and reverentially says “Lady Nandar, I presume?”

After a respectful pause, he continues “Mmm. Apologies for interrupting your conversation.” He looks to the guards that are gathered “Condolences on the loss of Your Lady. Please, I hope she didn’t suffer too much in her passing?”

“We have returned from the goblin caves with Morak and the surviving villagers. We had hoped to seek an audience with Lady Nandar to offer our services to her and the good folk of Nightstone in this difficult time. Please tell, who is the heir to the keep?”

Action!

Stat Block

Old 08-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics

Mialee Nailo
Elven Archfey Warlock

Mialee kept her hands open in front of her as she approached the guards.

Roughly translated as: Peace, brother. I come from Nightstone, where my friends and I freed the villagers that had been captured by goblins. Upon return, we found that the town has been attacked by orcs, but that they had then escaped. I came to give word, in case they came this way.

I have stopped several 'Ear Seekers' myself and would not see them do more harm.

And, I would see if your town has any word as to the cloud giant's sudden attack against the town and their theft of the Nightstone.
Seere, toror'. Amin tul a tuulo' nightstone, manke Melloneamin ar' amin leithe i' villagers tanya had been glake ed' goblins. Deno' entula, lye utue tanya i' ostar has been cronhe ed' orcs, nan' tanya ron had san' usine. Amin tul e on- beth, e' case ron tul e sina men.

Amin caela tampe several 'ear seekers' amin ar' (use -aya at the end of the verb) il- elea sen uma ner crona.

ar', amin (use -aya at the end of the verb) elea manka lle ostar has ai' beth vee' a' i' loomi norsa's bragol cronha thar i' ostar ar' sen theft en' i' nightstone

Old 08-16-2019, 02:15 PM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
Nightstone; downtime wrap-up
right-aligned image
Kella
The look on Kella's face when she spotted the Half-elf accompanied by the Halfling was one of near-loathing. The two had just walked in on a political power struggle taking place where the woman from the other night was trying to claim rights to the keep and the guards were pushing back. Tensions were starting to rise but none were reaching for their weapons; it was purely political court at this point. "I'm telling you that I am now the rightful heir to the keep and by extension, the town!" Kella exclaimed stating her position once more for the new audience to hear "Xolkin was the fair Lady's illegitamate son - birthed between her and one of the elves from the forest. As his wife this keep falls to me now that he and the lady are both gone from this world!" she showed a very simple iron band around her ring finger to the guards as she broke the news of the death of Xolkin's demise.

This was a lot to take in all at once and made the bard recall of some shoddy tales he's heard from others making things up on the spot just for dramatic flare. His knowledge of the group and the situation they were in - he was sure that she wasn't telling the truth. But he had no proof to say otherwise, and those they would've been able to inquire are no longer of this world. Looking to his Halfling companion for assistance in weeding out the fib she appeared to be on the same page; they knew something wasn't right but as things stood they had no proof to say otherwise aside from calling her a liar. So what if she was possibly a Zhent; if what she said was indeed true then she did have a claim to this keep and town...unless.

Darab'at stepped up and suggested reaching out to the nobles of Waterdeep; it was a bit of a distance away from Nightstone but they would surely know the inner secrets of Lady Nadar - or maybe the elves of the forest? Since they are long lived the would perchance know of one who was in "good relations" with the Lady. If they sent a messenger on horse-back it wouldn't take too long for them to get an answer. It was a simple and non-violent course of action that made Kella snarl at the Half-elf. Turning to the guards he explained how they have just returned with the villagers who fled freeing them of the goblins and of the new agreement that has been established between Morak and the new Boss Goblin, Snigbat. "Wait - y'mean they've returned?!" one of the guards exclaimed leaving the room to rush into town, possibly trying to seek out an individual that fled. The remaining guards seemed content with this course of action "You have to be kidding me!" shouted Kella her face twisted into a knot of rage "You think you can come waltzing and deny me of my rightful place as heiress?!"

With a defensive gesture from the vigilante White preparing herself for anything that could go wrong Kella backed down a bit. Then it was Darab'at's turn to work his magic with words and began to explain that this route wouldn't deny her if it is true, it was simply the easiest and most proper. With that all the remaining guards began to verbally state their agreement with the Bard's suggestion. With an angered grunt Kella stormed off further into the keep with her fellow 'mercenaries following behind her. Some of the guards followed trying to state they were not welcome in there until confirmed. The last remaining guard turned to the two who have seemed to of broken the stalemate "Thank you, if'n weren't fer you clearing tha air we've would've been ere fer hours! I'll find me a horse and be on me way ta Waterdeep shortly." With that the two took some time to explore the keep finding most of the routes closed off but what rooms were open did yield some interesting finds. The most interesting of all was a small silk pouch found in a guest room containing four gems that White estimated to be roughly worth 100gp and three gold necklaces worth 250gp each. Whether they decided to take them with them was up to the two to decide. If Kella was the rightful heir then it would've meant swipping them from her, and that had a nice feel to it admittedly.

left-aligned image
Morak Ur'gray
Two days had come and gone as a semblance of life was starting to return to the town decimated first by Giants, then goblins, and finally orcs. After seeing off the guard on horseback they knew it would be a few days before he could properly return with word. In the meantime Kella and her crew were holed up in the keep not coming out for anything, but also not causing any trouble either.

Coming down for breakfast inside the Nightstone Inn the team finds Morak having prepared a large breakfast to accomadate as many people as he can using the foods brought in by some recent merchant carts. As the team sit down and prepare to eat they can hear the clopping of horse hooves and could see briefly through the windows the brief figure of a female elf passing by. Mialee had returned from her time in the forest with the elves there. Having explained what the team had done not only for this area but in regards to the Ear Seekers themselves she was welcome in and regaled as a hero. To strike such a mighty blow to the raiders as removing their lieutenant from their ranks would surely halt them from attacking the settlement for some time. For her help they provided her 250gp, a @Silent Rain
ItemWant of Enemy Detection
This wand has 7 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 charge to speak its command word. For the next minute, you know the direction of the nearest creature hostile to you within 60ft, but not its distance from you. The wand can sense the presence of hostile creatures that are ethereal, invisible, disguised, or hidden, as well as those in plain sight. The effect ends if you stop holding the wand.

The wand regains 1d6+1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand's last charge, roll a d20, on a 1 the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.
Wand of Enemy Detection, as well as what they knew about the giant attack. From what they could provide; All of the giants are currently in a uproar over something called the Ordining and are trying to prove themselves worthy by acquiring various means of "strength." In the case of the Nightstone, it was rumoured to be a simple stone but if one tried to Detect Magicsense magic it would give a faint reply. Maybe the giants knew what it really was and took it for those purposes, but that was the extent of what they knew. After spending those days in the forest helping them with the remaining casualties from the recent raid Mialee had decided to return as she promised.

Setting down a plate full of freshly cooked lamb meat Morak paused for a moment pondering something "Ye know, it completely slipped me mind!" he said with a chuckled looking at the group around the table "If'n ye folks wouldn't mind I have a small favor ta ask ye - I know ya dun a lot fer the town. This one be more personal if'n ya catch me drift. Ya see-" he pointed out the door towards the trading post where Brook spent most of her days fixing tools "That there be Darthag Ulgar's place - ye folks probably knew 'im as rat food. Snigbat told me Hark was feedin' folks to them and I 'adn't seen 'im come home. He has a wife - er...ex-wife, Alaestra Ulgar. She be the owner of the Lionshield Coster Trading Post off in Triboar and a right good friend o' mine. I was wonderin if'n ye wouldn't mind headin there and tellin her tha bad news."