RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > World of Darkness > Portage: Rising from Ashes > Game Play
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 07:23 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17116
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Home Sweet Conspiracies: Alec and Adina

The trouble with the moment that one stepped outside of the confines and structure of the hierarchy, was that one had the chance to glimpse that not all was what it seemed, and perhaps there was more than being a pawn, for one could become a pawn who actually knew.

In truth, what mattered and what did not was hard to determine, each step was personal, regardless of the fact that on being a part of the unity of the 'family' meant that nothing was personal in truth, not really, not if someone else so wished to do else. Now, now each had been tasked with asking uncomfortable questions, looking for uncomfortable answers, and one might dare to assume that the need to locate these bits of truth was no simple task, for if it was, then it seemed maybe they would not have been sent to a task so blindly.

Home, this place was both home for one and a secure respite for the other, a place of familiar comfort to offset the unsettled emotions left from the meeting with so demonic a creature. The trouble was, what next, for it was highly unlikely that a return to normal and pretend was about to be allowed to unfold.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:59 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9331
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Adina returned to the Chantry and decided to go straight to her cell without talking to anybody. What she needed at the moment was to centre herself mentally and take a few minutes to figuratively "breathe". She had not been in the mood to probe this demon overly much about the task given, so there was some worry in her mind about whether she had actually understood correctly what she was to find out. For one, she was pretty sure the triangle referred to the pyramidal hierarchy of their bloodline. But it was evident as to why this was a superior structure compared to the loosely associated other kindred that openly feuded with each other to no end - they were all beasts, and to bind and shackle that beast one needed order. Forced Unity helped to let them get things done - anybody who didn't like it could go into the light after all.

Truths in the source of our power would be about thaumaturgy. So the bottomline was that this archenemy of their whole bloodline wanted to know the most coveted Tremere secrets - a ludicrous request to be honest. Maybe it would be quicker to give the Demon the location and key to the Chantry. It would probably amount to the same thing.

Yet she may as well work - in the end she could still decide not to share the information. As it was she knew the centre of their power lay underneath Vienna, the catacombs underneath she had inhabited for decades, but Clan history was not exactly one of her specialties. Adina had to remind herself that as an academic this indeed did not do - so what she resolved was to try and look into the beginnings of their Order soon.

Unsurprisingly she wanted to lay the groundwork first, and the next evening she started out by going to the library and starting to look into all the available literature on their own clans history or beginning. It was a night where she would have preferred not to meet Richard Higgs or any chantry elders - since she was not in the mood to try and explain the request and even a little afraid of being labeled traitorous if they assumed she entertained the notion of handing over clan secrets.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9871
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
After having the driver drop him off half a block from the chantry, no need to take a personal ride directly there even if it might have seemed normal enough to most kine, Alec quickly reached the building's entrance. While he did not hesitate to enter, there was also certainly no small amount of trepidation at the action either. Here at least, there was one elder that most definitely wanted him dead. And if he was being honest than it wasn't for entirely unwarranted reasons either. He had been foolish the night before, not that he regretted it. Which for all intents and purposes from his perspective was the strangest of it all. But enough on that, there was no time for pausing to reflect, instead it would be better to keep moving and stay on point. Thinking of which, tonight's first objective? Arguably his research assistant. While the clues Leah may have been inclined to pursue the night before were no longer a priority, she may have uncovered something interesting nonetheless. Also he had at the very least implied to keep her in the know, and her curiosity was certainly strong enough to be interesting. She had after all accompanied him to meet his loyal neonate servant, even when she was quite visibly terrified. With the first point on the agenda decided, Alec strode off in the direction of his kinswoman's normally preferred quiet reading place.

As for after? That depended on how long it took to sort things out with her, but at some point he would probably need to speak with Neonate Higgs. He still could not be certain if he was looking forward to that meeting, or dreading it. As for Miss Menache, well there was one issue he had not been able to tell her because of how swiftly she had set off from their meeting with the terror called Hydra, and known as the Dragon. Namely that those who resided within the Chantry were currently not allowed to leave. He would do her the credit of warning her if he saw her, but primarily out of a desire to see her break the rules imposed by the feuding neonate and fledgling fighting over second place. Arguably though, it was mostly Fledgling Forswill doing the fighting, and Neonate Higgs just staying there and laughing about it. At least in Alec's head anyway.

As for what internal secret had led to two feuding kindred both sharing the second ranking slot of an organization that until this point in his unlife Alec had always witnessed to display a rather rigid and well defined order and hierarchy, well, that was the real mystery. And ever since it was brought up, the primary thing on his mind as far as possibilities went was that there may in fact be blood-bonds involved. But even that left the unanswered questions of from who, to whom? He had at best around three hours to find out, lest he need to bed here. That was something that would not only endanger himself to the fledgling more than was necessary, but also risk losing his loophole in being able to circumnavigate the lockdown.

Last edited by Yuul; 08-04-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Adina
With a few hours left to the night, she could at least get a basic idea of what information would be readily available to anyone in the clan who might consider to actually look into old history, a thing that for most of the young, was of no real concern, for survival required the very real and present. That there were strict rules on how to file and maintain the vast storage of information, did at least make her job a bit easier, granted she never expected to find the answers plain and obvious, but a frame work might give her the idea of which step to take next.

There seemed to be a grand total of two books within this Chantry that referred to times long past. One seemed more to ramble about how old traditions were to be run, of which some she was very familiar with, thus it seemed the traditions had indeed held, and to most it would have been tedious to read how and where one might stand, what one did, how one did it, to the point that one might glance over the small line amid it all.

It seems the power of the blood is best born in those of natural talent in the living, the blood alone does not engender the powers that be.

A few chapters later another small gem stood out to her.

Loyalty must be impossible to shake, for when one is born of betrayal, is there not the risk that betrayal is at the root of our power?

The second book, for its part, referred to the other clans, comments on the assorted beliefs in their origins, of which this particular writer found the Gangrel most perplexing in an apparent lack of agreement in origin that seemed to cause utterly no issue for clanmates unlike other clans who had very clear stories of their beginning. The one clue that she seemed able to glean from this was a clear sense of mockery that the other clans assumed their origin stories, while the Tremere knew exactly how they were formed.

AlecWas it resignation or pain that flickered across the woman's face as his shadow fell across her text, those eyes rose slowly and with them, that brief emotion for him to catch before the stone mask fell back down. A small sigh as she straightened her shoulders and ever so slowly and neatly closed her book and pursed her lips. "You... are back. What do you want... now? Are you... crazy? I mean what if Forswill finds out what you said, Higgs is one thing but... "

Leah did indeed have a point, though really it had gone far past that particular concern. The Hydra had made that very clear that this was bigger and with how the Chantry had responded with the residents on lock down, in fact had Higgs broke that as well in Adina being out on the streets? She did seem like the sort to find staying within these walls to be a comforting thing. No, a concern as to the Elder's responses was almost not as frightening as the power he had in turned struggled to mock and rebel against in the face of the Tzimisci. His sire had never said there was a Fiend in this place, no one had in fact, when the rules had been laid out, no one ever mentioned something of the Sword was located so 'openly in the city.

What would Forswill do? Why not what would Harding do, what would their actual and real Regent do, and why was it that no one seemed concerned about her and rather it was the two men 'beneath her that seemed to capture the attention of those who scurried about this place.

oocHey Phett, you have a few hours before dawn, so I gave you a few things she would have to start with for the next evening

Alec: Curious to see where you go with it, or is that afraid :P
Old 08-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
He found her precisely where he expected too. Perhaps this nook was her usual spot after all, much like fledgling Thomas, not to be confused with an entirely different Thomas he had met this night of course, preferred reading from the tops of the bookcase ladders when he though no one was looking. Alec was of course always looking, and he expected most of the older Tremere as well. He himself, as well as the events of the night prior, had clearly been weighing on his associate's mind if she knew who he was the moment his shadow drifted over the text from which she read. The warlock could freely admit that he had not expected that glimmer of emotion, pain or resignation he could not quite tell, in her eyes. Clearly this was all hitting her mind far harder than he had anticipated. Certainly more so than his own. Or perhaps, perhaps it meant that of the two of them, she just so happened to actually be sane. Considering that he was already halfway through assuming his own demise was nigh, that made a frightening amount of sense. Of course, all things being relative, he was still most certainly a far cry from Malkavian, thank you very much!

Ironic then, that her words when she finally put her own figurative mask back in place almost immediately called into question his sanity. How apt. How, dare he think it, how perceptive. Of course, she was merely worried about what Forswill would do if he found out just what the same kindred that had the audacity to point out his childish-ness in the middle of the damn archives had taken to calling him as a sort of affectionate nick name. There was no if, there was when. If that man thought he would be able to kill him off without Alec getting one last dig in, he had plenty more coming. So in response to Leah's swift flurry of words, Alec pulls a vampiric smirk in the way only a kindred can truly pull off. Alas that the humor and general at ease air he had managed to give off during most of their previous night together is now completely absent, leaving behind a much colder visage.

He had already ensure they were alone when he first made his way to her, but even so he spoke in what would to a mortal appear an inaudible whisper. But considering the clan proficiency for the Auspex discipline, he did not feel much like taking chances. Or rather, not yet. "Fledgling Forswill," His eyes dismissed the rebuttal on her lips before it could clear her throat. "-will no doubt find out, in good time. Which is of course one the reasons I made certain you were alone before approaching. I have no intention of putting you in unneeded danger that you yourself no longer see the need for, nor have the curiosity to need to know." A pause, smirk slimming down to only the barest of upturned lips.

"Of course if you wish out entirely, to go back off into the dark with the rest of them save for whatever you've managed to dig up, than speak now. The night is dwindling and I have not the time to spare for anyone not willing to see this through. Which would be regrettable, considering how enlightening it was last night. So tell me Leah, can you stand not knowing?" He already knew the answer. Well maybe not knew, but he had a damned good guess. Her curiosity was particularly strong after all, had it not kept her terrified feet anchored in place during his meeting with Higgs? That sort of need to know what was happening did not just vanish. And for all of her coldly voiced greeting upon his return tonight, she had not actually told him to leave.

Sighing, and plopping himself down lazily into the chair opposite hers, the same chair he had sat in last night in fact, he spoke up again. "Of course not, you need to know. And so do I. First however, let me make this abundantly clear. I have not the slightest intention of dragging you into that Fledgling's path of childish tantrum throwing. I made certain we were alone before I approached you didn't I? However I have a lot to share from my end with not a lot of time in which to share it, and since I am fairly confident you do not share whatever blood trait gives me my memory, I suggest you take out some writing supplies from that drawer next to you." Alec waits semi-patiently, and only just because he can practically hear the time ticking by. Actually, that's probably the grandfather clock from a couple rooms back. Which meant of course that he really was hearing time ticking by, which in turn meant that it was time to get started with the bullet points.

"To start, earlier this night I met with several others of various means at one of the upper rooms in Elysium, all of whom were for one reason or another also investigating what happened on that island, as well as the visions. There were several, our own Miss Menache amongst them. She did not care for my rather apt descriptions my humble neonate servant nor his fledgling counterpart anymore than you do. Much less in fact. But I am getting off topic here. Do you recall Higgs mentioning the previous group investigating Shamen's island? The ones that died? Well I did in association with this new group figure that out. Or came to learn it anyway. Haydn Hughes, Toreador, apparently was the owner of Elysium. Cheryl Johnson, Gangrel, apparently used to own Seahorse, an earned Domain of sorts." Alec gives her just a moment to keep up, if it looks like she needs it. "Ezra Petre, Malkavian, turns out owned a law firm. Also the origin for the usage of Crimson Crown in this story. Charlotte McBride, Ventru, also head of Port Renewal of all things. Additionally may have in fact been our mysterious Crimson Crown, a malkavian name given for her red hair. Vince Tyrsen, Brujah, Sheriff's childe, lead the Shanghai crew."

Giving her the briefest of moments to catch up, Alec reclined in the relative comfort of the chair, even if such comfort felt largely illusory given the nature of their situation. "Additionally, the group I was with tonight was active last night as well, when we were enjoying our first proper meeting in this very spot. They did no small amount of digging then, the benefits of which I was able to partake in reaping. Albeit in at least one case a part of me wishes I had not, no matter how good the knowledge gained. I will get to that later. They explored the haven of one of the deceased I've already mentioned, specifically the gangrel, found an old ledger regarding Shamen's Isle transits, no I was not able to see it myself alas, as well as a phone number. Naturally they called the number and were able to set up a meeting with the individual," Here for all the practiced masks a slight shudder still leaks through. "-which had just wrapped up before my coming here I might add. Details later. Some unknown shadowy creature, which may be related to a later incident, attacked one of their number when investigating the office of the dead malkavian. Found there were clues indicating something at Pier 21, at midnight. Additionally there was a phone number which when dialed turned out to be a direct connection to 'the Bastard', Ramus Govinda, whom I am sure you've at least heard of."

Steepling his fingers under his chin, Alec continues to look Leah in the eye as his whispered voice continues to recite in the information he has learned, as readily available as if it was all still right in front of him. "Also, upon tracing that shadowy something's movements, they were led to a desk with the id of one Zeke DeCosta. Which as far as I am aware brings us up to my involvement in the group's activities tonight. I did of course share what relative little I knew, primarily the tale of the Dragon and the Mirror. With a little communal discussion and deduction, we are relatively certain the wolf clan refers to the Garou, or the Werewolves, if you prefer. The bear clan is less certain, but potentially refers to members of Clan Gangrel. Alternatively, could refer to actual bears, or were-bears. Considering the nature of our side of the world, would hardly be the weirdest thing. The Dragon, well we learned who they were later. Which I will get to." The warlock knows he has been keeping that morsel saved for last since he started, considering its potentially disruptive nature. "I did get the opportunity to meet with the local gangrel known as the Waif by the way, and as much as I think she may very well have been trying to scare me, all it did was render me rather fascinated. But that is quite off topic. What is not, is that she joined us for the rest of the night. After all those of us who were available had gathered, at least one was tied up in legal proceedings regarding the inheritance of Elysium, we set out for Pier 21, as per the information they had gathered the night before."

"Upon arriving, we very quickly got the sense that we were not at all alone. Further investigation led to both reuniting with the member who had been held up in legalese, as well as a run in with some form of shadowy individual we presume to be kindred who laughed at us and dived off of an adjacent pier. Anyway our investigation continued, and after gaining entry into the pier's storehouse we learned that it once harbored the White Maiden, a boat wrecked oddly enough four years and a few months ago, specifically the tenth of October 2010. The oddity being that it is also the date that the Seneschal's childe Zeke DeCosta and several other kindred died in a fire with apparent Sabbat links." Another pause, as much as to study his opposite's mental state as it is to allow her to keep up. "According to one of our number, the Seneschal is still exceedingly upset over the matter, and even bringing it up is risking one's own safety while in proximity. The final thing we encountered there, was something that Thomas ran into. No not the fledgling, different Thomas, specifically a gangrel the Waif seems to have taken under her wing. He's a nice sort, if a rather unsure of himself. He encountered and spoke with the spirit of what was presumably a beast or other animal at one point or another."

Word for word, Alec swiftly recites the spirit's words much as he did earlier this very night for his impromptu companions. "After all of this we gathered at Bubbles, a now derelict establishment in the strip of town never properly rebuilt after the hurricane. This was both to meet up with the individual I have been mentioning as well as to pool our heads together and try to make sense out of everything we have managed to uncover. The entity in the mirror, the one traveling, hunting, by shadows now that it is free, is fairly certain to be Lasombra. A rather old and powerful one mind you, or a similarly potent individual kindred of differing blood that somehow by some means managed to learn that clan's unique specialty. The Sabbat attack that killed the Seneschal's childe and several other heavy hitters may not have just weakened the Camarilla in Portage, but may also have sabotaged the wards or seals that originally held our rather malicious entity. Additionally five seems to be a rather important number for whatever this mess is. The previous group was five before their recent deaths, and apparently the one before that. Our own, the Waif aside, similarly number five. Peculiar isn't it? The only other thing of note to come from that discussion was the possibility of our figurative mirror having been a Malkavian, though it does make one wonder just how you would go about trapping someone inside your own mind."

Now they were up to what he had kind of been building towards this whole time, and Alec's eyes narrowed ever so slightly as he recalled what happened next. That, and another shudder sweeping through him. Downsides of his memory did exist after all, and remembering his first meeting with the Hydra in every detail was one of them. "Did you know, as I certainly did not until this night, that Dragon is another, perhaps older, name for the fiends? That is to say, Tzmisce. The individual the group contacted the night before from that phone number? She calls herself Hydra, is Tzmisce, presumably an elder, almost certainly the Dragon from that particular tale, and finally, finally she is also apparently the uncontested owner of the Domain of Shamen's Isle. Actually the final note here should be that she is the singularly most terrifying entity I have thus far had the misfortune of encountering." The warlock's face is entirely serious, almost to the point of being set into granite, as his eyes practically bore holes into Leah's own. "She has also agreed to carry out her seal once more, but it has conditions, as you might expect. Conditions that largely seem to revolve around correcting our own ignorance, and proving that we have the will to challenge that which others might not."

A much longer silence as Alec continues to stare into his kinswoman's eyes. "So tell me, what have you learned this past night? Additionally, as I have only been in town for little over a mere month, why exactly has our Regent allowed this ongoing conflict between Neonate Higgs and Fledgling Forswill to continue, much less held them to the same level of power and influence within this branch of the Pyramid? It is not anywhere close to the norm of our Clan to allow such a position to be contested or in doubt. How long as this state of affairs been going on?"

Last edited by Yuul; 08-11-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Dropping StonesThat he had possibly managed to stumble over one of the more bold of the actual neonates within the Chantry did seem to be a boon, for rather then stutter and flee to prattle into waiting ears, her gaze held his as her hands sought out the implements he instructed. Granted it was not wide eyed obedience, but more a narrowed expression which suggested that she did indeed want to hear it all and yes, indeed she had been focused on their 'issue' here in her stack of books, for all her shock and horror at his actions, she wanted the know.

Her pen scratched across the paper in a rapid pattern, not full words but a coded shorthand which was undoubtedly a good thing for all the information he had begun to dump upon her. Give her credit though, Leah managed to keep her expression more or less neutral, that was until the name DeCosta was dropped, her lips moved then to whisper. "The Seneshal's childe?" Still she did not stop him nor contradict, even as small furrows, frowns and even a small cringe as he dropped words of a Lasombra and possibly more pain at the mention of Govinda, she did indeed know of the man it seemed.

Still he had waited to hold the best for last. The lead up from clarifying the steps of dragons to fiends and then the absolute statement that not only one existed so close BUT that it owned domain, recognized domain caused her eyes to widen and pupils narrowed into the finest of pinpoints. Still, her hand moved to write even as she half stuttered, sputtered and then was dropped into yet another pool of disquiet, the very present actions at home, close to the core of their security.

The last few words scratched down and then a slow movement to lay the pen down. It followed up with a small sigh, a deep breath actually, despite the lack of need for such a thing. "Why don't you go and challenge the Prince while you are at it, you... act like these are just all little things to be noted and moved past. A Fiend? You came to me and not Higgs, or better, not sought out a meeting with Regent Harding? And now you want to know why, you seem... to accuse that, but good god Master Thorne, you want to get killed? Politics is a touchy, a delicate thing and you want to just bust down the doors and... are you... INSANE?"

Last edited by Kapera; 08-14-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Her reactions had indeed been every bit as entertaining as he had hoped. Enough for her slight against his state of mind to be completely deprived of any sting. Funny she should outright ask such a question though, when right this moment he was not very certain himself. "Leah dear, I fully intend to speak with Higgs later, but chances are he and the regent are both well aware. I do not doubt that such a thing has not escaped their notice. The fiend's domain claim is uncontested after all, not even by the Prince as far as we have been able to determine. She is certainly old, older than either the Sword or the Tower as it were, and if she is to be believed, unaffiliated." A flat look cuts off his opposite before she can do more than open her mouth.

"No I do not trust her, while my sanity may indeed be in question it has not fallen that far. Still, she is needed if we intend to reseal that which has currently escaped. I also am quite well aware that none of these things I have spoken on are in any way little things to be noted and moved past, however in case you have forgotten my reason for having you fetch those writing implements to begin with, time is at a premium. Likewise, the time for delicate, touchy politics is currently on indefinite hold. If those of greater power than myself take offense over small slights and see to my end before this is sorted out, I suppose I will in turn have the final laugh on them from whatever awaits us beyond that Final Death as the entity is turned loose on the city and I no longer in a key position to help stop it."

Now it was Alec's turn for his eyes to narrow at Leah. "Now you can tell me what I have asked, as well as what you have learned in honor of our agreement, or inform me that I should not have bothered and have indeed wasted entirely far too much time on keeping you in the know. Of course that would negate any potential for continuing to keep you in the loop, among other things. So I'll ask once again, and only once, how long have the neonate and the fledgling been locked in this perpetual contest as Regent Harding's seconds? What else have you learned?"

Last edited by Yuul; 08-14-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Tasty TidbitsNothing he said seemed to give her any sense of peace, but he had chosen well, for neither did she bolt, run, or some other sort of behaviour that undoubtedly a fair share of fellow Kindred might. "You might wish to remember you are not the Elder... Master Thorne." A small, acidic drop, a bit of fire from the woman as he demanded of her, yet she still did answer as her shoulders dropped and she cast her gaze skyward as if seeking the aid of some being, somewhere.

"Nothing concrete, this city has been in the hands of Prince Goodwood since the city was founded, a mere military outpost, based on what I have gleaned from the history and the crosschecks of various individuals, outside of that, everything is just conjecture and bits and drips of things that I can make no real connection to our problem, other than that island has always been trouble, or seen that way. The Natives viewed it at a sacred place, but the kind you avoided, the only people to ever actually live on there were the poor sots who came over on the ships in the 1800s, but got sick on the way over, was a death island there, the place, it just oozes death from anything I find, and that, well you know the kind of power one can get out of all that blood hmm?"

Her fingers twitched slightly as she reached out to pat the book, clearly that was the depth of what she had located, and in truth if she had managed that much cross-referencing, she had indeed been busy, but maybe it was that last, almost personal assessment that held a key. Still, she had not finished answering him, and while she took a moment to almost glare at him, it was followed by another sigh then groan.

"Five years, since the Fire... the Regent locked herself away after the fire and those two have been going at it ever since..." The way she said it, the fire THE fire, a title, an event that clearly needed no explanation, at least to any who had been in the city at the time. That fire, the one the damn Dragon had spoken of, the note pad, again the fire, well well indeed. At least it had not been forever, but still, five years was a long time.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
"Oh yes, I know that power just as all our clan do. As I suspect the fiends do, albeit in their different entirely more grotesque manner." A shudder of revulsion ripples through him briefly at the thought of that flesh warping power of his clan's most ancient enemy. "Needless to say our art is certainly more refined, a fact I for one appreciate our forebears for." Naturally it should be apparent by this point that Alec has completely ignored her acidic reminder of his status and is carrying along like such a thing did not exist.

"Still this is important, so well done. Any little bit could be the difference here between success and failure, and the stakes are rather high indeed. As to the fire, the Fire, so much seems to go back to that. The Seneschal's Childe, those other four, as well as it being the same night the White Maiden was sunk in that storm. What did the Sabbat gain by doing that beyond the obvious elimination of powerful members of the Tower here in the city? Presuming the formerly entrapped entity was indeed some malicious Lasombra elder, and that the Lasombra often make up the Sword's leadership it could only have been a purposeful attempt with the long term goal of freeing that individual. But now apparently since that same time, the time since our city's Seneschal has apparently been next to useless, or at least emotionally weakened, something has been off with our own chantry's Regent, who is also our Primogen."

By this point Alec has stood up and is actually pacing back and forth. "Our clan has long been something akin to the 'Power behind the Throne' to the Ventru's 'Ruler' within the organizational makeup of the Camarilla. And in one go the Prince's right hand was left emotionally crippled and on top of that our own clan is left divided and fractured without a clear head. That could of course be the wrong angle, perhaps instead whatever that transpired that night to leave the Regent in such a state was instead done because of our clan's proficiency and mastery of blood sorcery. If the leadership, who are also generally a chantry's most powerful, was left in a state unable to respond properly to such a threat as we now face, than clearly we would be unable or unlikely to be able to contain what we are up against now by ourselves. Which is of course why we need the Hydra, but surely they had to know of her. So if their plan was to free the entity and keep them free, shouldn't they have moved against her as well?"

Coming to a halt back where he had started the warlock turns to his opposite and sighs entirely unnecessarily. "I'm going to Higgs, it's about time I demanded what he was holding back last time. As for you, well feel free to keep on digging or not it really is up to you. But before I go, one last puzzle I picked up from the fiend to reward your curiosity. Who knows, maybe you will even find out what the hell it is referring to. She had the cutest little mockery title for me and our Miss Menache you see, son and daughter of stolen things that I am still trying to place. Oh!"

Right as he is about to leave Alec fishes through his pockets and pulls out his spare set of keys and tosses them to Leah. "If you need a place to lay low, or are being pinned by the fledgling and need to throw me under the bus to save your skin-" If anything it is the way that he says them both with the same nonchalant understanding tone that might truly knock someone off balance. "-those go to my haven, address is on the backside. See you around in the near future, presuming I do not die between now and then. But for now I'm off as I said to pay my dear neonate servant a visit." With that the tremere that appeared to possess no apparent fear of final death walked out of the room while continuing to ponder what he had just learned...

Last edited by Yuul; 08-20-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Tossing TrianglesHe left her with another wave of information, a lovely little package for the woman to mull over. Granted how much of it was meant to give her more to work on and how much was his apparent need to almost brag about what was sure to be a well paved path toward certain death. Still, she cringed only slightly as he continued along his path of apparent confusion over who was who in the Chantry, but clearly she had given up on trying to point out his errors. Pen in hand, note book at her side, she had continued to write and even as he left, the scratch of her pen against the paper and wooden surface chased him out, the keys carefully placed beside the growing pile of notes. She had never thanked not had any other comment for him, save she had accepted the items and with it, a quiet acceptance of what it might mean.

_____

A familiar door, a place he had already walked through once, a banter of words and something deeper with a level of predatorial intent that floated about with a strange intensiveness. Still, there were things to be said, to be asked, to be addressed and it was several steps too far down a path he seemed determined to run down.

A single rap on the door and the boldness to follow it up with a slow opening to see the man much like he had left him, at that desk, lounging almost with an expression caught between a roving gaze over a lover's body and a lion as it lingered over its prey. "Master Thorne... a pleasure." Amusement, curiousity, and was that a hint of hesitation?

In the space between greeting and answer, a soft buzz of a cellphone, a single buzz, a text message perhaps, sounded from the area of the desk, and in turn elicited a small arch of Higg's brow followed by a light motion of a sigh. Intriguing one might think, and then, the vibration of his own cellphone as it began to indicate that he too had received a text message.

Last edited by Kapera; 08-26-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Leah did not thank him, nor did he expect or even require her to, he honestly did not care much one way or the either. It was after all nothing more than a gesture to prolong her own existence should the worst come about against his fellow Tremere. Finding Neonate Higgs' office door was every bit as easy taking the stroll to get there to begin with. He did not bother with more than a single knock to announce his entry before opening the door at his leisure. His entrance was rather different from the previous night, startling so for one capable of reading the small things and piecing them together. While he certainly could not exude an aura like the man seated at the desk, nonetheless there was a definitive of dangerous, confidence, or perhaps rather a dangerous confidence that his gait, posture, and general body language all seemed to give off. In any case, to Higgs' eyes this would very clearly be apparent as not the same Alec that had spoken with the night prior. Then, they had largely played at a reversal of roles for their own amusement and to enjoy the growing abject horror of Alec's then tag-along accomplice.

Now, well now if the look in the younger warlock's eyes was any indication to someone skilled at reading people, it wasn't so much that Alec had deluded himself into believing their game to have become reality, although another less able in such a skill might certain see it as such. No, instead he simply did not care. He certainly did take note of the hint of hesitation in the elder's voice however, if only because it was in stark contrast to the Neonate's normal projection of unruffled confidence. Of course, that might have something to do with the additional kindred his heightened senses were telling him currently inhabited an area behind or under the desk. Just as Alec was about to reply, his phone buzzed with a text from one of his new associates. Specifically Rita, with some rather interesting information. Also of note was a similar but quieter buzz from somewhere around the desk. More questions in need of asking, and it was about time to get to that point.

"My presumably loyal neonate servant," The younger of the two began, with only the slightest flicker of a darting gaze down to the desk and back up to Higgs' eyes accompanied by the slightest upturning of his lips to let the elder know that Alec was very much aware that there was another present, and no, he most certainly was not going to hold back on their account, whoever that might be. "I have questions, and you are going to answer them." Stalking forward Alec places his hands on his side of the desk, and while not slamming them down, it is certainly a firm motion all the same. "To the absolute best of your ability and knowledge, as well as to my satisfaction. Then, and only then, after I have dealt with such answers, I am going to Harding and giving her the figurative kick in the butt she clearly needs." Such things are courting Final Death, but is readily apparent to all involved, save maybe the one in hiding, that for whatever reason the real neonate of the group does not care if that happens to be the cost.

"First and foremost, since the night of the Fire-" The capitalization is clearly audible. "-this chantry has been in a state of, well, less than solid figurative structure. Our Regent apparently became a shut-in, and yourself and that Fledgling Forswill caught up in some power struggle that the poor fool can't seem to tell is already lost, and that you, my dear Neonate Higgs, have been stringing him along presumably for your personal entertainment." There is the slightest sigh, which while not a physical necessity, clearly seems a mental one. "Not that I would normally blame you, he does seem rather delightfully easy to ruffle up. But given what it has led to, this lack of clear leaders in the chantry cannot go on. As I was saying, my first question, why has the Regent, even in whatever her current state may be, allowed this to go on? Secondly, how long as this figurative tussle with the fledgling gone on before then?" Alec's eyes stare into Higgs' own, a figurative gazelle getting into the face of a figurative lion.

"Furthermore, given newly received information, you and the fledgling were both at the Gala the night of the Fire. There were wards present keeping any of our kind from exiting. So for my third question, whom, or what clan, erected those barriers? Fourthly, what specific event or happening that occurred on that night caused Regent Harding's current state of behavior?" Taking a moment to break off the questioning, and to recompose his thoughts, the younger warlock begins pacing in front of the desk. "You know, I met the most fascinating individual tonight. I am sure you have at least heard of her. The Hydra can be oh so frightening however. Despite that, and despite whatever the hell son and daughter of stolen things is supposed to mean," Here Alec does closely observe Higgs for any telling reaction. "-she has at least admitted to being inclined to carry out the same seal she used to trap that recently freed entity. On conditions of course. So fifthly, what exactly did that comment of hers mean, hmm? As much as I dislike her, from my limited time spent near her she does not choose her words idly." He had more questions of course, but for now he would see just what the real elder in the room would give from that before pushing further.

Last edited by Yuul; 08-29-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 AM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Dancing on the WireThere was a small twitch to his right eye, the barest quiver of muscle at the corner of his mouth. He was good, very, very good, though Alec had prepared to look for such tells, even if they were possibly not quite what he had thought might occur. Indeed the hint of a smile, amusement paired within the space of the vibration sound, and with it, no sign of embarrassment or otherwise. The brow, well that was something a bit more vague, save at the end as it flickered a moment, he provided a bit of depth to the movement.

"Only five things? Ah Master Thorne... you place your entire hand on the table for all to see, are you truly that confident that my own do not trump yours." Another small quirk of his lip, though this time he allowed the flash of a smile as he leaned back and shifted, in such a motion, that it seemed he had put his feet up beneath the desk.

"Indeed, Master, we have waited so long for your wisdom, your authority to set this place back to rights after such a long and trying era. You have found what is needed to salvage the remnants of this domain and prevent both Vienna and more pressing... his Majesty from setting us to dust? Do tell, do tell Master." The sarcasm lay heavy and thick, yet in it there were drops of information which Higgs seemed more than willing to share to the reckless childe beneath him. A fleeting thought, would Foreswill have been so accepting, or would Alec had managed to finish his entire diatribe before he found himself in a dust pan?

Granted, for all the mocking tone, Higgs suddenly leaned forward, his elbows upon the table and fingers laced, in all the possible ways, the machiavellian power near palpable quite suddenly. "You think it is as simple as that, to demand and receive, you think to tease me with your knowledge of Portage's gate keeper, she who holds the Harbour? You think that we purposefully hogtied you to this quest without care nor concern? If we had known it was from thence, perhaps a different attempt, yet I dare say that no one meets with the Hydra lest she wishes it, that you did so, that you still live, she has reasons... but do not trust those creatures, you accuse me of something and take her every word at face value, is that it, were you not taught of what those things wish of us?

Ah, but I grow too serious I dare think, might I ask why your concern about Fledgling Foreswill's and my relationship has anything to do with the rest of this trouble you seem to be now well and drawn into? "
Oh he had clearly registered the names which Alec had come up with for the pair, and perhaps he reveled in it, was that possible? At what level of arrogance, of insanity had this place risen, or more... fallen toward.

"I might dare to gather, from all your ramblings, that what you seek the most is information in regards to the... unfortunate combustion which occurred and of which all present were sworn to stay silent? I do so hope I am correct, for it would be most embarrassing if I answer that which you care least about... The barriers... were cast by a Tremere."

A small tilt of his head and shift of his legs once more, apparently without concern of whomever he had hidden there as he waited in turn for Alec's own reaction. A game, almost a play of words, of teased romance, save there was no love nor desire, and for all Higg's coyness, there was something far deeper which he had indeed fallen into. The Fiend was... not lying.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:13 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Despite the sarcasm, despite the mocking rebuttal the Elder turned Neonate opposite him, Alec slowly over the course of his opposite's response developed quite the vampiric grin in the way only a kindred can, and by the end he simply chuckled and then laughed. It was not a light sound of merriment, rather something of a stressed sound of the variety that can only be achieved when you have reached the point of such tense, pressured, and general strain that even that which should not be amusing is found to be so regardless. Thus in spite of the mocking hints and serious reveals the younger warlock laughed at Neonate Higgs, all over something that the man had said at the start of his rebuttal. "Where, oh do tell me where my dear servant," At this point Alec is leaning far enough over the desk that were this to be a violent confrontation, Higgs could easily end him without even moving from his chair. He was not however, so far over to see under the piece of furniture as to be able to see under it from Higg's side. "-that you came to the erroneous conclusion or impression that our hand limit tonight was restricted to the number five?"

Alec steps back, a great deal calmer with that small bit vented. He is starting to think he might very well lose it before all this mess is done, but as he is unsure if he will even live through it, that's a matter to be concerned over after all is said and done. "But before I get around to revealing some, though not all, of my other cards, figuratively speaking, I shall respond to your own." Just like that, the almost-inquisition is back on. "I am not under any delusion that there is anything other than my own curiosity and desire to see this through holding me to this quest, if you wish to use such a fantastical term for it. Unlike my, hmm, pseudo-accomplice, I was also well aware that there was no way you or the others were ignorant of the Dragon's true nature, even if I myself might have been when last we spoke. That said, I find the term Gatekeeper a particularly interesting choice of wording. Particularly when her Isle does not see much traffic. It is rather as if she has other duties to uphold beyond the containment of particularly malevolent Lasombra ancients, or an entity of similar power and ability. Makes sense, particularly given the uncontested nature of her dominion." The sixth 'card', a minor thing, is dropped in the middle there, and while Alec doesn't question it particularly he does as he did before and watches the signs on Higgs face.

Meanwhile in his own head he is pondering Higgs' rather deliberate use of 'his Majesty' from earlier, and given it was part of the man's first response, he wonders if it is connected the last thing he himself inquired about before his current response. Specifically bringing up the only individual or entity whom might be addressed in such a way when Vienna, which even Alec knew was something akin to the homeland of his clan, was brought up immediately before? Presumably a part of some form of carefully hidden reply to his final question earlier? Just how big or deep of a figurative anthill or hornet's nest was he kicking open in attempting to find an answer or meaning to 'son and daughter of stolen things'?

If he really wasn't reading too much into things here, then if he really truly desired the full answer, he would have to dig into the clan's origins. And those sorts of things, especially any aspect that contained 'dirty secrets' were typically kept hidden away. Not likely to be in the general use part of the archives to be sure. Although, he had been in Higgs' office twice now. A physically unneeded sigh swept through him, and he looked off to the side as if in contemplation, but was instead an excuse to gain the briefest of double takes on the room, or more importantly any visible book titles combined with what he remembered seeing, if any from his previous visit. If the sort of book he wanted was anywhere in the chantry, it would be in the private offices of the resident elders, or perhaps some sort of hidden branch of the archives. Once again he was really wishing he knew more languages than he currently did, but he would make due if he had to.

Turning back to Higgs, Alec addresses the next item without mentioning the clues Higgs had subtly slipped him. At this point Alec was fairly certain almost nothing that man did was unintentional. Despite all of the previous perhaps deluding Higgs, if for a moment, into the disappointing illusion that the Fire really was the lesser of all his questions, it really was time to get on to the most important topic to their investigation, if not to him personally. "As to the Fire, you would be correct in your assumption. For all of my personal and no doubt self-harming curiosity, when it comes to the actual problems and crises I've wrapped myself up in, that rather scorching incident does seem to link everything together. As to the source of the barrier, as much as I wish it wasn't, that is not as surprising as I might have otherwise hoped." This mess he was clearly so kicking his way into really did seem like there were far more skeletons in the closet of this chantry than were the norm. "And while I do dare dread to think that I already know the answer, this wasn't created by the Sword affiliated traitors at all was it? Last I heard they had been wiped out by that point. And everyone was sworn to silence after the event? That does explain why we have heard so little about it, but there is of course the more important matter of of whom specifically raised that barrier. You? The Fledgling? Perhaps the regent? Or was this a conjoined effort between one or more of you, perhaps even having been made benign intent to protect the gathering but ended up backfiring?"

The younger of the two drifts the topic back to the previously mentioned Hydra, giving his opposite little time to recover, on the off chance that any recovering was needed to begin with. "I know very well what those fiends wish of us, and I doubt I will ever be able to forget that deep seated fear that creaked through my very bones when I first laid eyes on here. Of feeling like prey being toyed with." Not that he forgot anything since his unlife had begun, but there was no need to come out and say it. If the Neonate knew, than he already knew, and if he did not...

Well no reason to tell him. Or that almost every word the man was telling him seemed to further back up what the Hydra had spoken of. Alec could keep things close to the vest if he really wanted to after all."Ah, but I do believe the previous line of questioning does bring us to my seventh 'card', if you desire to keep using that term, and sixth non-reactory question. What is the true importance of the White Maiden, and its wrecking, presumably in a storm, on the same night as the Fire?"

Last edited by Yuul; 10-08-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Wicked WaltzHiggs neither backed down nor moved as Alec leaned in, and if not for the tone, the wicked light in Alec's eyes as he flirted with immolation, one could almost pretend it was merely the intense moment between lovers for all the smoldering expression which danced over the true Elder's face. Still, the man listened, a reality which somewhere in the back of Alec's mind, within his core, the whisper of instinct from the Beast within, spoke of the man's intent, his knowledge, his end goal. Had Higgs' expected this, planned this, was this amusing, truly amusing to the man?

Still the moment taken to glance about, to gather his thoughts, only deepened his instinctive knowledge that Higgs was not a fool, an idiot nor a man to be messed with, even if he had managed to crack a code, had that been Higgs intent, was this all purposeful? Book titles, there were none, instead tomes of various colours, their spines embossed with flowing 'script' of images, not words. Maybe later when he closed his eyes, considered the images and drew them out, he might see a pattern, or perhaps not. Higgs did not seem to leave anything to chance within his 'public' bower.

"My dear Master..." Liquid gold, his voice flowed, seeped in a way most intoxicating, had Alec not worked himself up at this point, wrapped himself in the defense of his frustration, his need to know and his outright disgust at the state of affairs, still, the voice was soothing, powerful even, though Alec rightly doubted there was any use of 'power' in it, this was merely the nature of the man. A small scuffed sound from beneath the desk was a reminder, this time though it was no buzz, but something more akin to a stifled snicker, Higgs though was brilliant, one would think that nothing had transpired, not even the smallest flicker of the delicate, telling muscles about his eyes.

"You dare tread dangerous grounds with assumptions and accusations, though I am most delighted to hear you phrase such with the opening for one to take the high road, a mistake rather than intent. Despite your most reckless nature, there is an element of survival which insists on rising to brush through your madness. I dare say your sire was indeed correct, your ability to multitask allows you to embark on a diatribe so divided and scattered, and yet in the end all return to a point, and I dare consider that once this is over you will undoubtedly replay the entire scene in order to dissect it all. Delightful, brilliant.... you were indeed a worthy choice."

A slight shift as he took the moment to roll his shoulders, to work out some kink in his neck before the man leaned forward once more and looked boldly up into Alec's face. "The Gatekeeper is just that, not all traffic is evident to the mere eye my dear Master. Remember that feeling when you met them, remember it well, never ever forget it, never allow it to fade, the Fiend toys, and for all their... role here, we must never forget the truth of their kind, of their intent and never allow that wariness to slip." Was that the crack in the man's veneer, that he too felt a level of fear of that creature, that abomination? Yes, it was there, for all the posturing and quite likely the very real dominance, honest discussion of that thing disturbed the man.

"As for their boat... the storm that night was not of us Master Thorne, that much I will confirm and stand by, even to the test of the Skulls, that which lashed the city, damaged the docks and sunk that craft, was not of us, no more than the violent storm of nights past was of our making. A ward was made that night, but another was shattered, the first step perhaps in our current... situation?"

It was rather sudden that Higgs pushed back and rose, near strode around the desk in a manner which suggested that while not an insane level of speed, he had done so far quicker than one's eyes said was possible. Close, oh so close to Alec now, he reached out and dared to touch the neonate's cheek, a small caress of his fingertip along the line of Alec's jaw. It was not sensual, not even alluring, the movement was purposefully dangerous, there was something open, violent and dominating in the act. Higgs gaze, his dark eyes never left Alec's own.

"There was a traitor that night but it was not one among us. Take care son, you have met with Fiends and now wildly speak of the Shadow-kin? Assumptions make one a fool, there is much which lurks in the dark that not even I know, for all that I attempt." There it was again, a small sound from beneath the desk, a snort, a whisper of disbelief? This time he did frown, though only ever so slightly.

"The answers you seek, you wish, were already handed to you, you just need to ask them... in the right direction. Contrary to your belief, I do not know everything, nor can I answer every little bit of your delusional paranoid threads interspersed with your oh so close but not quite considerations. At least not in a manner that you would believe me. Simply Master Thorne... yes, you are caught up in a disaster of a mess, no... I did not expect it to be this particular slant of... trouble when I toddled you off, and if it was a simple answer, a simple solution, well then we would not be having this conversation, would we?"

Old 10-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
So he knew. And like he had suspected the first night they had talked, the elder also knew his sire. Not that it was really all that much of shock, not like the almost imperceptible undertones to Higgs' body language; a multitude of clues beneath the surface. For one, on some level even Higgs was frightened, perhaps even terrified on some level, by the Hydra. While perhaps not helpful in the various inquisitions, it did certain make Alec himself feel much, much better about his close run in with the Beast upon first meeting the fiend. Although, if not for the increasing almost mad fervor that the past few nights had found him in, the younger warlock would be feeling quite frightened right now. As it was he just looked calmly, at least mostly even if part of it was perhaps a touch fake, into the other man's eyes and silently acknowledged in an unspoken manner that yes he was very much aware the true Elder could kill him without an effort if he so wished. Though he does let out something of a quiet chuckle. "I thought you might have known when we first spoke, kind of makes me wonder if my other suspicions about you pertaining to things entirely outside these events are also accurate."

"I was not accusing you or the chantry of the storm that wrecked the White Maiden, merely inquiring into its potential likely supernatural nature and the importance on events in the aftermath of its destruction. Our clan is not the only one that practices blood-sorcery, our paths of thaumaturgy are just far more developed, researched, and refined." A light shrug, though he makes no move yet to remove the finger along his jaw. "Besides, while my knowledge regarding the powers of weather manipulation is indeed limited, the scale of that storm should have beyond a standard spell, which implies a ritual, and likely an expensive, time consuming one." Leaning into the finger, fully opening himself in the event Higgs' desires to open up his neck, he continues to speak.

"You are right after all in so stating that I am treading dangerously and making potentially oblivion inducing accusations and assumptions. However there is a figurative clock hanging over all our heads since this entity escaped and none of us get to know just how much time is left on it. It does make allocation of such a limited resource towards niceties and subtleties poorly managed at best. Being direct, no matter the long term negative impacts it may cause, is something I find to be necessary. Besides, the question, or the card if you prefer, that is the most dangerous, and the most likely to see such a loyal servant kill their master in a gruesome fashion, I am saving for the end. I am sure you understand my desire to at least get some of my questions answered first, even if I do not even have the time to forward some of them to other ears."

Sighing unnecessarily, which was becoming something of a bad habit, Alec moved on to the second to last. "Forgive me though, for my earlier phrasing. I did not mean to imply you or anyone within this chantry were working against the clan. But clan interests and Camarilla interests have on occasion not been quite aligned, even if the specific instances and action our kin have taken are kept hushed. And if that had been the case that night, I would have kept quiet about it. Clan before all else is still something I pay loyalty to, as we all must. Still, I believe you when you say it was not one of us, though there was a traitor present." Here at last there is a long pause, as Alec begins to replay most of his unlife in muted flashes at a rapid pace, he is getting very close to his possible final death, but not quite there yet. "But us is rather subjective, and while I hope you meant the chantry as a whole, you could have also meant just those in this room. The barrier as you said was cast by a Tremere so where does that leave us? Benignly intended protection turned double edged sword, or some traitor or freelancer working for the Sabbat? Or worse a blood-bonded or otherwise Dominated kin not from here."

Finishing his mental recap and focusing on the present he steels himself to ask his final question of the night, and perhaps his (un)life. Leaning in, lips almost touching Higgs' ear, Alec whispers at such a level that were he not the one speaking, or were Higgs' ear not right outside his lips, nothing would be heard, even for a master of his kin's skill with Auspex. The older kindred's hand is still near the younger warlock's throat and more than capable of ending him before he could even think of harming his 'servant'. "As you may have already surmised it is time to see if I even have to worry about facing the Hydra again. Are you ready? Among yourself, the Regent, and the Fledgling, who, if any, is blood bound to whom?" Alec, at this point, relaxes completely, awaiting whatever comes next.

Last edited by Yuul; 10-10-2019 at 08:16 PM.