twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8856
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
MontageManiac's Nomination

DM(s): MontageManiac

Active Players
GinJapan as Moonbrook, a Female Elf Ranger
MasterMind007 as Haaliryl Galanodel, a Female Elf Rogue (Assassin)
Nasrith as Dantas Brocton Rocannon, a Male Human Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Spizzow as Belkas Falzaran, a Male Half-elf Warlock/Sorcerer

Inactive Players
Skylarious as Blossom, a Female Human Monk
Trinity as Rain, a Female Half-Elf Druid
Arachobia as Teegank "Tee", a Male Tiefling Wizard
Gritpipe as Lunn Rognisson, a Male Dwarf Barbarian
Ganguropocky as Agnes Jager, a Female Human Cleric (War)
Stupideddard3120 as Arius, a Male Half-orc Paladin

Reasons for nomination: I came to RPGx as a player, and after a few games that quickly ended due to DM disappearances, I was looking to perhaps take a turn as DM myself for the very first time. So in the fall of 2014 I wanted to dip my toes into that particular pool with a campaign based on the D&D 4e Adventure Path, Scales of War, which I'd adapt to the 5e rules. It was a full-blown challenge where I had to gut the entire mechanics and re-build every encounter while also weaving each character's personal story-arcs into the story. I say I adapted the adventure path, but in all honesty it was in the most superficial sense as it's gone above and beyond the base material that was originally published by WotC. I thought it would be a good opportunity to keep track of a campaign using a Filemaker Pro database I made, to put my photoshop skills to good use for battle maps and town maps, and so many other things I wanted to experiment with as a new DM.

November 18th, 2014 was the first In Game post for Rescue at Rivenroar, and since the start of the game I fully expected everything to fall apart within a couple of months due to my inexperience, and highly ambitious goals. I was anticipating that the players would lose interest, that they'd get bored with a game that was re-treading a well-worn adventure path from the previous edition, and perhaps I would get burnt out trying to keep the game afloat.

It's nearly 5 years in, and we've had a few players who had to depart, but it's been the same core set of players who keep coming back for more PC punishment with an addition or two along the way. We've finished the first Chapter, and are about 9/10 of the way through Chapter 2 (with about half the chapter consisting of solo-missions for each of the PCs to pursue their own stories), and it keeps going and going. The players and I each try to make our posts the highest quality we can in order to tell a compelling story for all of us to enjoy. We've moved at an incredibly fast pace, without mandating daily posting rates (we're just crazy and do it anyways sometimes). The players are either very good at lying to me, or they just WANT to be involved that much, which as a DM I find to be the most rewarding experience.

Our game thread currently has 10,208 posts as of this application. As far as D&D 5e games go, it's one of the 10 most posted games on the forums, but of all the games with posts exceeding 10,000, only this game and 1 other consist of a single group making their way through the story and are not an Arena format or multiple groups game. Our output has been a little insane.

I feel like I scored the jackpot with the players I have for my game, who are so committed and interested in the story I'm trying to tell that they keep coming back even though I throw some daunting challenges their way. I want to honour their hard work and commitment by applying to have this game included in the Hall of Fame, as I think they bring something special that every DM wishes they have an opportunity to experience, just once, during their gameplay. But I'm spoiled enough to get it every time I log in.

Links:
Welcome to Belden's RestI'll provide this link first to a post which sets a scene for the group and their responses. It was nominated for a POTM previously, so I figure it is a prime example of how this game works. The group has recently arrived in Overlook, and they've determined that they'll stay at the Inn, Belden's Rest.

Continue the read here.

If I am to trust you, I must know...So since the beginning of the campaign the group's rogue, Haaliryl, has been a little dodgy towards the group, especially towards the war cleric Agnes. The pious War Cleric of Bahamut has had misgivings with the Assassin's morals leading to many tense discussions. Earlier there was a discussion between Haaliryl and Moonbrook, revealing their family connection which was not pre-planned by either of the characters, but came about through some deft background weaving on my part to make the reveal that much more impactful. After that already emotionally charged interaction, Haaliryl then goes to speak with Agnes for the two to hash out their tensions with some stellar RP from the players involved.

Continue the read here.

Sincerely thank you for your consideration, and I hope you enjoy exploring the game forum to see if there's enough for you to like.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:28 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13574
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Arbiters or a New Age - The Seconding
So how many games can you name where your five-thousand year old immortal servant of good faces down execution for refusing to renounce their faith in the inherent worthiness of humanity and the power of good to triumph over evil (and not by the villains, but the good guys) and yet you still consider it the best game you've ever played on this site?

Well, Arbiters of a New Age is that game, and this is a heartfelt second for its Hall of Fame nomination.

I started this game shortly after it began as a replacement when the typical player drop-off struck, and immediately started getting wrapped up into a web of intrigue, deceit, divinity, and overarching plots. This was over two years ago, and the game has never let up since. Unfortunately I had to leave the site for a bit due to some medical concerns, I appeared on the "retired" list in this game's previous nomination, but since returning I've once again been thrown into a detailed and complex world where nothing is as it seems and the difference between the heroes and villains can be rather blurry. After the aforementioned character met their demise, I jumped right in with the character I had originally and they picked up right where they left off, even managing to close a couple of lingering plot holes. That's the strength of this game, well one of many. There is always something going on, and lots of things the players will just never see, but it happens anyway. It's a superhero game, but there is a lot more going on than "beat up villain of the week". A lot. A game thread (18 of 19 now, and that's not including side threads, of which there are many) that just ended had 1280 posts in five weeks, which is 36 posts per day. Most games I've played in might manage that in a week. Might.

The Deets
Game Name: Arbiters of a New Age
GM: WhovianBeast
Active Players: Acathala, Drachenspirit, gravenimages, PalladiaMors, Shylocke
Retired Players: Attitude, Avner, Bluejack, Classic Gamer, MrKinister, Sierra 159, Tover, TheFirkraag

Reason for Nomination
If pure longevity isn't enough - like I said the game has been running for years in a constantly active state - but there's an immense level of participation and quality. Not only are the players very active, but the GM is hyper-active. WhovianBeast manages countless characters, keeps them unique, remembers their quirks, and breathes life into a unique world. Oh and then does the same with settings and plots as well. You can read up above where gravenimages covered the background of the world -

"Oh am I a joke to you?"

No no, sorry, Loki helped.

"Helped?"

OK fine, did most of the talking. Anyway I won't repeat it (especially since graven's been in the game longer than I and did a perfectly eloquent job) but I've been a part of the site for seven and a half years, played in a lot of games and even run a couple, and can say without exaggeration that I have never played in or seen a game more worthy of the Hall of Fame. As a long-time tabletop GM I know how much effort it takes to build this kind of world, and freely admit that I would never be able to bring this much life and unique flavor into one. I've tried, and at best I'd say I've managed about seventy-five percent of the work and detail in this one. There's just that much going on. Oh and it's with Mutants and Masterminds 3e, which is not the easiest system to manage. Then again, the system and mechanics aren't the strength, the story, characters, events, and well, everything is. And did I mention an average of 36 posts a day? As graven mentioned, every character has their own thing going on, sometimes with others, sometimes not, and everyone gets center stage at some point. The ability to juggle so many characters and adapt quickly to the unexpected is something few GMs can master, and WhovianBeast does so on a daily basis.

The Links
Even angels can have bad days. Angelic servant of the Host of Virtue Michaeleva dal Hadriel, who goes by Michelle when in her Irish-born mortal form (reddish orange), recounts to Poseidon's champion Fathom (blue) a misadventure hundreds of years ago in India. Not even the agents of Heaven are exempt from Murphy's Law, and the most carefully-planned mission can go wrong in a watery instant.

Thread 17-C, posts 341-350

Closed Thread