Game Thread Chapter II - The Evenwold - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2019 > Priestess > The Empty Hills
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14298
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Xadia Elroch
right-aligned image

Xadia nodded to Rinn and Hittebarn.

She got down on one knee before the girl. "Are you injured?" she asked, gently. The girl looked traumatized to say the least. Xadia hadn't known her long, but in that time the girl had hardly said a word. She couldn't imagine what she was going through.

After seeing to Anna, Xadia began dragging the bodies to the far end of the cave. The bugbear was the worst of them. It's large hairy body dragged across the floor as she pulled it. A smudged trail of blood was left behind them, the creature's hair making it look as if someone had taken a paintbrush to paint on the floor of the cavern.

Still, the task kept her mind off of her close brush with death.

OOC

Old Sep 10th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14645
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
The Goblin CaveThe group dragged the corpses to the back of the cave and settled in around one of the goblin fires closer to the entrance for the night which passed quietly and without incident.
To pass time, the discovered items were inspected to determine if they had any special properties.
While the goblet seemed to be nothing more than a fancy cup, the raven statue and the bone dice emanated with magic.

right-aligned image
The statue was a Figurine of Wondrous Power. It was a statuette of a beast small enough to fit in a pocket. If you use an action to speak the command word and throw the figurine to a point on the ground within 60 feet of you, the figurine becomes a living creature. If the space where the creature would appear is occupied by other creatures or objects, or if there isn't enough space for the creature, the figurine doesn't become a creature.

The creature is friendly to you and your companions. It understands your languages and obeys your spoken commands. If you issue no commands, the creature defends itself but takes no other actions.

The creature exists for a duration specific to each figurine. At the end of the duration, the creature reverts to its figurine form. It reverts to a figurine early if it drops to 0 hit points or if you use an action to speak the command word again while touching it. When the creature becomes a figurine again, its property can't be used again until a certain amount of time has passed, as specified in the figurine's description.

Silver Raven. This silver statuette of a raven can become a raven for up to 12 hours. Once it has been used, it can't be used again until 2 days have passed. While in raven form, the figurine allows you to cast the animal messenger spell on it at will.

right-aligned image
The bone dice functioned as a stone of good luck. While the dice were on your person, you gain a +1 bonus to Ability Checks and Saving Throws.

Coin would need divided and the items granted to persons.

The next day, the party emerged from the cave to find two strangers trampling through the underbrush. One was a female human, barely more than a girl with auburn hair braided back to keep it out of her way. Her armor and weapons were battered and worn, scavenged together from bits and pieces, but she wore it proudly and managed to project an aura of earnest dedication. Around her neck hung one of the few pieces of adornment she wore, an unfinished red gemstone of uncertain providence. It was tied with a hemp cord. Also there was a half-orc dressed in heavy common attire and carrying a pair of curved scimitars. He wore a long flowing coat and thick leather gloves, the cut and style of which have been chosen to compliment his immaculately groomed tusks, styled beard and waxed hair.

They seemed just as surprised to find the party emerging from the cave as the party did finding two people wandering about in the woods.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1736
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
"Side tracks make sense, we've used them before, but I mostly just follow along until things get interesting or rough." he says with a companionable smile "I hope that you're right and it is your armour scaring off the local fauna, I'd hate to be walking into another ambush." the big half-orc rubs the back of his neck with a thick, but well-manicured hand. He thinks for a moment about bears They've never really been a problem for me, I mean I've seen one once or twice, but as animals go they generally keep to themselves as far as I can tell. for a moment more he muses on bears then asks the obvious question. "Did your father have much to do with...."

Thokk cuts short his question about how much Iris' father had to do with bears as he sees a group of folks emerging from a cave in front of them. Two half-orcs and quite the specimens. he thinks to himself, nervously Encounters with my kind are always interesting. his hand instinctively drops to his scimitar, not drawing it, but ready and wary in case the group is hostile Their sleeves aren't green, but they could be in disguise. Iris will know what to do, she's better at thinking. his eyes pass over the halfling and the cloth clad elf, pause on the impressive armour of the human and are drawn back to the half-orcs who he considers with a steady look before speaking to them directly " Lat gilbat pizumu? A baak ghung durburz maubur rad zatal dobat." unlike the pleasant melifluous words with which he had been speaking to Iris when the party emerged from the cave this is spoken in harsh, guttural tones, with the last words heavy with derision, even those who don't understand the language can hear the disgust in his tone.

Last edited by Drager; Sep 10th, 2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9489
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Rinn Liandar
right-aligned image
The elf was the first to respond as he wore a stern expression, addressing the newly arrived half-orc man who had used a tone he didn’t fully admire, “I am sure we would all greatly appreciate it if you would speak in Common. I would hate for you to appear as rude to strangers you have just met.”

He flashed momentary grin at them. It was tense and inauthentic as his dark green eyes flicked from the half-orc to the human woman. The elf’s hair was a shock of white flecked with strands of silver. He had strange markings over his neck that reached for his chin that looked to be tattoos or scarification. His clothing were fine, all dark blue and silver in design, and he wore a silver hilted scimitar at his hip.

Rinn’s suspicious gaze didn’t leave them. The two made an odd pairing, though he couldn’t say much about it, considering his own party. They seemed to be alone but Rinn knew better than to assume.

“Perhaps I should start. My name is Rinnolen Liandar, Mantle of the Silver Dragon and Heir to Liandar House. And you...?” He invited conversation, but his tone was serious and firm.

Block

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; Sep 10th, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10964
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Iris
right-aligned image
Iris looked up suddenly as Thokk's words cut off and they found themselves face to face with a strange assortment of people. She wasn't quite sure what to make of them. A couple of them looked like they came from the outlying tribes, and a few were obviously from further afield... much further afield. She didn't understand Thokk's greeting, but his tone seemed hostile. Did he recognize them?

The elf's greeting only raised more questions. Was he claiming some kind of noble status? Still, it didn't hurt to be polite, for now. She stepped forward. Mindful of Thokk's aggressive posturing, she kept her hand well clear of her sword hilt. Inclining her head slightly in greeting, she offered her own. "I greet you Rinnolen Liandar. My name is Iris Kettering. These hills are a dangerous area, not traveled lightly. In the name of the Knights of the Spear I would ask you your business."

OOC

Last edited by hafrogman; Sep 10th, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6309
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Hittebarn. Hittebarn places a calming hand on Rinn’s shoulder, passing to put himself between the half orc and his sorcerer companion. "Easy, Rinnolen. I'm sure the Well known orcish derision for halforcs, translates roughly to dull tusk or "biteless"

Furthermore, while Orcish is a guttural and harsh language, Hittebarn’s use of it has a grating accent from years of not using it. It would drive and orc proud of their heritage to rage.
zilchbett
intended no offense. In the wilds, manners can get you killed just as quickly as a lack of them can in court. He was simply expressing a distaste for the Greensleeves and putting out an offer to rid our party of any current members."

Turning to the woman he offered, "Wise words, Iris. It sounds as if we have similar goals. We're traveling to the Rath of Evenwold to eliminate the Greenskin threat.

Last edited by Numen Wraith; Sep 10th, 2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Deleted half a tag. There’s a pointless quoted roll in this post from watch last night, but I won’t delete it.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 08:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Xadia Elroch
right-aligned image

Xadia stood defensively between the newcomers and Anna. She'd failed to save her the night before and didnt plan to allow it to happen again.

"My name is Xadia. Cleric of Evelyn,"
she said as she introduced herself, a bit surprised to find these two wandering the hillside "These hills are a bit safer now, thanks to these three," she said gesturing to the others. It wasn't a show of modesty, nor did it have the intonation of one who was seeking affirmation from others. Simply a fact as she saw it.

OOC

Last edited by DaysUntold; Sep 10th, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
It takes all of Thokk's considerable training in performance and control to hold back his instinct to attack the half-human in front of him, but he just about manages it, instead channelling his anger into its natural outlet, a small show, just for those gathered here.

Thokk opens his mouth and speaks again, this time in common his tone perfectly inflected to indicate the height of courtly manners and refinement "Apologies to you, good Lord Liandar, and to you the Xenial Cleric Xadia." he smiles widely and genuinely "I was under the inaccurate impression you may have been the bellicose brigands we are searching for. You see they have a terrible tendency to trap children." the word children rolls off his tongue heavily, his tone changing to one of deadly seriousness. "As I'm sure you can understand, it was important that we take any advantage that we could, had you been our quarry." he inclines his head slightly in a gesture of professional recognition, trusting you would implicitly understand why it would be necessary to deal so with foes.

"I also suggest that you teach this half-human halfwit cur of yours some manners before letting him speak of things so obviously beyond his limited comprehension. The word he called me zilchbett" Thokk makes sure to pronounce the orcish word perfectly, to underscore his point "would much more pertain to him than to myself." Thokk smiles in a dangerous way, showing his perfectly maintained and pointed, if short, tusks "I, however, would never stoop to calling anyone by such a filthy slur. Were we in a baron's court I would challenge this coward to a duel, in my home tribe I would demand a blood reckoning, only here in the wilds can he hide from my blades behind necessity and his" his tone lightens again as he gestures to the rest of the group, with notes of humour and genuine praise "fine companions." Thokk is breathing hard by the end of his speech, clearly deeply offended and equally clearly holding it back as it is obvious these people are potential allies and not foes.

He lets the silence hang a moment and then adds "If, as the good lady says these hills are safer thanks to you, then I offer my gratitude" he very pointedly does not include the other half-orc in his gesture of thanks "and if you hunt the Greensleeves then, if Iris wills it, I will offer my sword as we need as many allies as we can get in our most urgent mission."

Last edited by Drager; Sep 12th, 2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14645
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Allies or Enemies
right-aligned image
The situation was tense. Thokk had not begun things on a good foot and Rinn seemed to be on edge after the encounter in the cave. There was a hostile undertone to the greetings. This was only exacerbated by Hittebarn's rude comments which had the desired effect of antagonizing Thokk. Xadia and Iris attempted to defuse the situation with calm responses and introductions. It seemed, however, that both groups were after the same thing, the Greensleeves.

Karell interposed herself between the parties, her large frame and stern expression brokering no argument. "If its Greensleeves we're all after, stop the pissing contests." She looked to Thokk and Iris and said, "This halfing and a few others brought this child to the town of Haven. They were being hunted by a creature sent from the fey to capture the girl. A great cat known as a dirlagraun. We chased it away in Haven with the help of Hittebarn who had abandoned the Greensleeves to save the child." She gave Hittebarn a disapproving look for his choice of language but spoke well of him. "He keeps a rough exterior but has been brave and loyal to the girl's cause. We trust him and so should you. We were searching for a faerie road in the Evenwold that should lead us to some archdruid who can tell us how to close the portal to the fey. Seems the Greensleeves are being led by some witch who has made a deal with a fae prince for the lives of children. This Anna girl was to be one of her bargain pieces. Once we find out how to close the portal. We're going to raid the Greensleeves' hideout, kill this witch and get that portal closed. Can't imagine your reason for hunting bandits is so farcical but I'd like to know what it is."
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Iris
right-aligned image
A cleric of Evelyn! Iris looked over as Xadia introduced herself, suddenly torn. As a Knight of the Spear, it would only be proper to offer service to this woman. But Lily... Conflicted by warring obligations, she was only partially aware of Hittebarn and Thokk posturing at each other. Something about a word?

But the large woman spoke with authority and quickly cut through everything else. Their group was hunting the Greensleeves as well? Then Iris could dispense with both duties at once. She listened with growing confusion to Karell's explanation of the bandits' and their schemes. A witch? A fae prince? A portal? She barely understands any of it, but the woman's final words are clear enough. A question that instant sends chills down Iris's spine. She looked up in Karell's eyes, firmly meeting the woman's gaze.

"They took my little sister."

She paused for a moment then, and glanced away, unwilling to let a stranger see the pain that the truth of that statement brought to her. If what Karell said was true, there would be no ransom. Lily was no hostage, she was a prize for some sick faerie lordling. Iris had to rescue her before she went through that portal! The possibility that she was already too late didn't even bear thinking about.

Without another word, the young paladin suddenly drew her sword. In a flash, she was kneeling before Xadia, with the sword held in both hands, pointed downwards. She looked up at the dark-haired woman with an intense expression. "In times past, the Knights of the Spear were pledged with protecting the Priestesses of Evelyn. I have my own reasons for pursuing the Greensleeves, but I there is more than just my sister's life at stake. I offer my service to you. My shield to shelter you, my sword to do your bidding. I pray to Evelyn that you will allow me to accompany you on your quest to end this menace."

OOC

Old Sep 12th, 2019, 12:02 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8306
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Shishia spent most of the tense interaction with arms folded, regarded the new human female and her half-orc with a cocky, if not unfriendly look of challenge. They didn't look like a bad sort, but they also looked like they'd be mighty fun to have a row with. The halfing was quite interested to see if the young knight knew to use that sword and shield by her side. Eventually though the biggest one, Karrel, charged in and turned the conversation to a more friendly path. "Ah well," The halfing sighs to herself, "Guess Oi'll have to wait an' see yew hit a goblin with your sword or something."

That half-orc talks funny, Shishia decided. He must her jester. The thought immediately made her like him more.

"Yah! Yew can come with us," Shishia interjected, walking forward between the two groups with proud stomps of her small feet. The little brawler was small, but the confident grin on her face looked somehow more like the bared teeth of a predator. At the mention of the Greensleeves rage had begun to build up inside her gut again and a small vein bulged in her forehead. "Oi'm Shishia Firbone, eldest of the Firbones and the strongest of all of Gorud Avarurg." She punches a fist in her palm and snarls. "Those punks stole my lil sister too. So the more bodies we got, the merrirer."

OOC

Old Sep 12th, 2019, 03:58 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6309
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
HittebarnHittebarn smirked at the strong reaction of the other orc-blood at first, but gradually came to think it had stung more than intended. Luckily, before he had to respond, his companions stepped in and soothed tempers. Eventually, passions of a different sort took over and it felt as if they were watching some sort of religious rite.

Uncomfortable and unwilling to talk about it, Hittebarn wanders a short distance away, seeking out the trail that had brought them here and trying to find the way back to their main goal.

Last edited by Numen Wraith; Sep 12th, 2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Thokk watches in silence as Iris performs her ritual, feeling it is a private thing. It looks like we will fall in with these. he thinks to himself as she kneels I hope that the coward has the sense to apologise, I would rather not have an honour debt against a comrade in arms. he glanced over at Hittebarn and shakes his head before considering the rest of the group. The Halfling seemed fiesty and he liked to see that in a warrior. Another child stolen? Thokks mouth set in a determined line as he considered the increasing weight of their task.

Old Sep 12th, 2019, 10:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Xadia Elroch
right-aligned image

It happened to fast that Xadia barely had to respond as the young woman approached and got on one knee before her. Once she realized what was happening, her face flushed a red so deep that it looked like she might be cooking in her armor. She took a step back hesitantly, only stopping there because Anna still stood behind her.

'Priestess?' Xadia thought, the shock clearly registering on her face, 'I'm just a healer and I couldn't even keep the girl safe...' she thought as embarrassment mixed in.

"Please stand," she said, almost pleadingly, "you need not pledge your service to me. I'm a simple healer from Haven, lucky enough to be entrusted with but a fragment of Evelyn's power. Though, I don't believe any of us would not turn away your company - either of you."

OOC

Last edited by DaysUntold; Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Iris
right-aligned image
Iris slowly rose to her feet again. She was aware that she had made a spectacle of herself. But as she sheathed her blade, her expression was tinged more with disappointment than embarrassment. Iris had begun to despair of her way and then Evelyn had seen fit to place a priestess directly in her path. She had dreamed of a moment like this, but now it was here and her priestess would not accept her service. Was she being tested? From what Xadia said, she didn't think of herself as much of a cleric. To be fair, Iris wasn't exactly much of a knight. Together they made quite a pair, perhaps they were more well matched than it might appear.

Iris offered a weak smile to Xadia and nodded. "Very well. I shall accompany your party then. But..." She paused, unwilling to overstep her bounds or how far she should push things with a complete stranger she had met seconds before. "The Martyr clearly has faith in you. Perhaps you should have more faith in Her choices." There is no accusation is the words, only a suggestion to consider offered by someone fueled with quiet conviction.

Turning to face the others as a whole, Iris spoke up more loudly. "It looks like we shall indeed be joining forces. It is perhaps strange to meet unknown travelers and immediately ally yourselves with them, but I think it only serves to highlight the darkness that we face. The net of their misdeeds has been widely cast. As a result, even a group of strangers such as ourselves shares a common foe and a unity of purpose."

Iris walked back to Thokk and took him gently by the arm, pulling him slightly to one side and addressed him quietly. "It can be no coincidence that has brought me here to meet with this group at this moment. Over the past days, I have relied much on your strength. When the others moved on, you alone stayed. Evelyn has seen fit to grant me new allies, but that does not mean I would not be stronger for your continued presence. I have no right to ask you to continue on this journey, but I will do so anyways." She cast a glance back over her shoulder towards Hittebarn, then faced back to Thokk before continuing. "I will not presume to understand what passed between the two of you, nor will I ask. But I would ask you to remain civil, for my sake. My faith in you is strong, be the man of quality that I know you to be. Rise above."

OOC