Game Thread Chapter 2 - Descent into Darkness - Page 20 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Wodine's Games > The Founding
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #286  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 PM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is offline
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 22662
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 12,311
Currently
Date 1st of Gladium (Summer)
Time ~ 1300
Weather Inside 20 *C
All the glitters is gold People collect items left and right trying to fit as much as they can in their bags as their feet begin to splash as the water in the room begins to trickle in. It is rising faster with each massing moment and by the time Leo throws the door open the water in the room was reaching to tops of their feet.

In their hurried state Raelia reads outloud to herself, She shall be Reborn and confront shadows of life; her blood spilt will give us night. Let your tears flow o ye people of the world, weep for your salvation, Woe?? is upon you. At for just a second she could swear she heard the beating of a drum.

Thump Thump Thump – its a distant sound like the cheering of a crowd after a ship had already set sail and was clearing the wharf.

Though the words send a shiver down the woman’s spine there is little she can do about it now as passing this way is her only chance for life.

As Leo looks into the room with anticipation his hopes are dashed.

It’s just another room. A room illuminated by a dozen tiny sconces lit with that peculiar bluish flame, but still.

Just another room.

But then his gaze wanders up.

The small stone room was maybe thirty by thirty feet of well cobbled stone, but the ceiling was nearly a hundred feet in the air. In the center of the room, zig zagging back and forth was a tall, yet very thin staircase. Winding back and forth it rose nearly fifty feet in the air, barely wide enough for a large man in armor to walk up comfortably. At the top was a stone platform, thin but stable looking. On the platform was a stone archway, runes carved all around it, though it was impossible to make out any detail at this distance.

Looking down for a moment, water began to fill the room. Just a trickle now, but soon it would grow and undoubtedly fill this room as well.

The steady noise of trickling water was suddenly interrupted as Leo prepared to curse their luck, You goin’ ta stay down dere all day? Hope ya have swinnin’ clothes in dat dere chest.

Looking back up a man sat where Leo and the others could have sworn there hadn’t been anyone before.

There was a hint of vanilla and spice in the air mixed with the mild sweetness of sugarcane smells that surely hadn’t been there before, had they?

No. They hadn’t.

The man asked the question in their native tongue though his accent was thick and difficult to place. He seemed genuinely interested and smiled warmly. His skin was the color of rich walnut and weathered, a man past middle aged but not yet venerable. His goatee graying, as are the few locks that poke out from beneath his black straw porkpie hat, dressed up with bright feathers.

The man seems to have appeared from thin air – quite the feat, given his lit cigar and finely wrought ivory and iron cane he was tapping against the side of the platform.

The initial shock passed – the old man still sat there smiling, a twinkle in his eye.


Leo Istvan Karl RaeliaGulvor Ranor Esperanza
51/83 69/69 32/32 47/58 54/62 33/58 28/67
- - - ----
__________________
Moving 800 km Oct 3 - 10; plan for delays.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:50 AM
ManicMonky's Avatar
ManicMonky ManicMonky is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 3029
ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky
Posts: 5,974


Peering about the room and up the stairs, the woodsman prepared himself for what he knew would be a grueling climb. There didn't appear to be any more traps, but anything was possible in this place. Water trickled to their feet, a constant warning that their time was limited if they wanted to survive.

Then a voice called out from above giving Istvan pause. Another guardian? A trap? Something else? But the tone of the man's voice did not seem threatening or malicious. Instead it almost sounded amused. "And who might you be? Another guardian of this place?"



OOC
Unless I call out a specific type of arrow, assume all arrows fired are normal.

Move action:
Action:



 


 
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 01-25-2020, 06:47 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 26040
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 27,559
Vanquished!Leo grumbles in the shadow of that new room, but the stairs going up sounds promising. Up means surface in his simplest mind. The sudden appearance of a man, surprise him. On the edge with everything that happened to him, his sword is raised instinctively. - " Hello there. Nice cozy cave don't you think? " Beginning his ascension of the stairs, he left his pony to Gulvor's care. Rather having his hands free to swing at that guy if it's just more trouble. - " Sir Leo there, what's your name... friend? " Approaching, he tries to get a
Dice perception:
1d20+4 (8)+4 Total = 12
better look at that smoking guy.


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 01-25-2020, 01:22 PM
PopCultureBard's Avatar
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard is offline
Captain F-in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 20215
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Posts: 5,426
RaeliaAs she recites the words above the doorway, stumbling over areas where the runic script is too faded or the concepts are too complex, she comes away from the reading with a sense of deep foreboding. Her head snaps to the left, then the right, as the rhythmic thumping echoes just at the edge of her hearing. She's about to ask the others if they hear it when a voice rises up from the room beyond. Taking a moment to scratch the words into her notebook, she scowls and snaps the book closed. There was so much about this place they'd never be able to study. Tucking the notebook back into her tunic, she steps through the door and inhales a sharp breath. The soft scents on the air, unfamiliar spices, put her instantly on edge. Her eyes narrow on the man seated so high above them.

"This..." She throws a hand out, catching the shirt of the person to her left to stop their advance. "...this is weirdness we don't need. Another stranger just pops out of the air? And..." She parses over his words in her head. Languages were always easy for her and over her life she'd picked up on plenty. The dialects of the most common demifolk, the languages of the largest empires. Even a few pidgin tongues from far off lands. This man's accent was heavy enough for her to guess that the Imperial common parlance wasn't his native speech. "...a spice-smelling Sundered native to boot? What'd he just fly on over here?" The others push on up the stairs and she grumbles her discontent, not that there is an alternative option besides drowning.

"Fine, whatever. I ain't walking up a buncha stairs. Have fun getting a pony up those things." Popping a vial off the bandoleer, she gives it a shake and watches the colors mingle into a prismatic fog. Downing the contents, her throat tingles and that sensation spreads until her whole body feels lighter. Willing herself upwards, she begins a slow ascent along the staircase to keep pace with the others but her attention stays razor sharp on the stranger. She puts her knowledge of the Isles' pidgin tongues to use.

<Sundered> "And let's all keep nice and still while we do out greetings, right?"

ActionsChug her Fly extract cause she's lazy like that.


 

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 01-25-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:29 PM
Black Jim's Avatar
Black Jim Black Jim is offline
Truculent Troubadour
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 19169
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
Posts: 8,842
Fancy Rigging
right-aligned image
Gulvor placed Blainth's ring upon his finger and felt slightly more armored, stowed Blainth's scimitar in compliment to his own blade, and donned the amulet as well. All the items belonged to the party but there was no reason why the mariner couldn't benefit from them until all of the prize could be drawn to lots once/if they were to free themselves from the dungeonous darkness of this mountain.

Leo tossed the reigns of his animal to Gulvor before the paladin assaulted the narrow stairs that rose from the center of the dead-end chamber. There was little or no use for beasts-of-burden upon an ocean-going vessel and Gulvor was unsure of what he might do with this one. They were often used as ballast, held below deck for stowage of paying passengers only. It didn't make sense to waste provisions on a useless animal's health and fodder. They produced noxious droppings that could leave a hold smelling of their rank excrements for weeks after a voyage.

Gulvor saw the problem immediately. If they were to ascend these narrow stairs to the platform above, how would the beast and the large chest be raised as well? Gulvor drew 2 coils of rope from his pack and began to secure one end to the treasure box with secure sailor's knots. It was like breathing. Gulvor rigged the box as if he were a dock worker preparing to load the heavy item aboard a freighter frigate. He could do the same with the mounts if needed.

He left the others to deal with the Sundered "guest" and hoped that Raelia might have more of those fizzy drinks that lifted her from the ground. It would certainly make transporting the animals a lot easier. She had two legs and could climb stairs. Gulvor wondered why she'd wasted the potion on herself instead of holding it for his considered purpose. Rights of ownership presided over practical rationale.

Water was rising quickly at his feet. By the time he had finished with his ropework, it was clear that a drowning death was stalking his fate. At least it would be lungs full of ocean water that replaced his final breath. That was a morbidly small comfort.

The bard stayed strangely silent as he began his work but then started singing a strange, thrumming melody that worked its way into the chords of hemp. The length animated and the free end crawled its way up the outside of the stairway like a snake. When Gulvor was done, he fastened the second rope around the belly of the pony, preparing for it to be lifted up with the chest. Albatross assisted to speed the work, running the rope quickly around the objects being rigged like spars, ready to ascend a mast.


 

 
__________________
Hear the voices of creation and sing with them of what is in your soul so that every note becomes real.

Become a Community Supporter.

Last edited by Black Jim; 01-27-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 01-26-2020, 03:25 PM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is offline
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 22662
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 12,311
Currently
Date 1st of Gladium (Summer)
Time ~ 1300
Weather Inside 20 *C
All the glitters is gold The stranger chuckled as the Raelia began to take flight and offered warning in pidgin. His gold tooth sparkling in the limited light. What’s the matter. Worried someone’s gonna dispel your magic?

A glimmer of mischief danced through the strange man eyes but yet the only motion he took was to take another drag from his fragrant cigar, blowing a smoke ring into Raelia’s face.

Names… names, names – why the importance whether you call me King or Pauper, Prince or Queen – it doesn’t matter so long as you know it’s me? Me, I prefer Baron.

Swinging his legs over the side of the Baron stands with the help of his exquisite cane.

And no, I’m no guardian. I tink da ocean be doin’ a good ‘nough job – don’t you?


Leo Istvan Karl RaeliaGulvor Ranor Esperanza
77/83 69/69 32/32 47/58 54/62 33/58 28/67
- - - ----
__________________
Moving 800 km Oct 3 - 10; plan for delays.

Last edited by MoonZar; 01-27-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 01-27-2020, 05:32 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 26040
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 27,559
Baron?Prince Leo narrows that gap between him and the Baron, gazing at the man for Detect Evilsigns of wickedness. - " Well met Baron, I'm prince Leo while we are at it. We arrived here on a ship called the Blue Lily. I can't help it to be surprised you survived here with all the devilry of this mountain and the beasts of the island. Are you from the Mono's camp that got slammed or perhaps the colony that was on the larger island? "


 
__________________
Learning mutants and masterminds!

Last edited by MoonZar; 01-27-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 01-27-2020, 12:57 PM
ManicMonky's Avatar
ManicMonky ManicMonky is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 3029
ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky
Posts: 5,974


"Quite so," the woodsman replies to Baron's point about the ocean. The sense of urgency to leave this place continues to rise as does the sea level. Seeing Gulvor tying ropes around the chest and donkey, Istvan wondered what his ultimate plan was, that is, until he saw the ropes climbing the stairs themselves. "Interesting," he said. "Will that magic lift them or just make it easier for us to lift them later?"

There didn't seem to be much malice coming from the man above them, and Leo was already interrogating him, so Istvan grabbed whatever he could to help carry the treasures and began his ascent with Karl just ahead of him.



OOC
Unless I call out a specific type of arrow, assume all arrows fired are normal.

Move action:
Action:



 


 
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 01-27-2020, 01:09 PM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is offline
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 22662
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 12,311
A Monotheistic Perspective He's not one of ours.

Esperanza whispers as she assists with the piling of a loot, and helps with the tying of knots, her nimble elven hands managing to mostly keep up with the experience sailor's.
__________________
Moving 800 km Oct 3 - 10; plan for delays.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:12 PM
Black Jim's Avatar
Black Jim Black Jim is offline
Truculent Troubadour
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 19169
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
Posts: 8,842
Whispers and WhistlesEsperanza's words were soft, a pleasant change from the often harsh-mouthed woman who's emotional passions had been frequently witnessed during combat. She had lost a lot. Had she lost faith witnessing her leader's folly?

"None of these are familiar to me. We'll learn our fate soon enough.", his eyes worriedly express his angst as they surveyed the water level, then the stairs.

The bounty was secured and tethered to the platform over head.

"A man pulls his own weight, Uncle Istvan. A spelled rope can move but muscle and cooperation raise the sail. We shall have to haul the beast and box up from the intruding wetness that follows us. Do you see a way out upon the platform?

We shall have to work together to raise these treasures."
__________________
Hear the voices of creation and sing with them of what is in your soul so that every note becomes real.

Become a Community Supporter.

Last edited by Black Jim; 01-27-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 01-28-2020, 04:52 PM
ManicMonky's Avatar
ManicMonky ManicMonky is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 3029
ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky
Posts: 5,974


Esperanza's words left Istvan as curious as he was before, Just who is this guy, he wondered. "Fair enough, Gulvor." Turning to head up the stairs, the ranger calls to the old man, "Baron, is there a way out of this mountain on that platform, or must we climb futher?"



OOC
Unless I call out a specific type of arrow, assume all arrows fired are normal.

Move action:
Action:



 


 
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 01-31-2020, 09:02 PM
PopCultureBard's Avatar
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard is offline
Captain F-in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 20215
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Posts: 5,426
RaeliaHer eyes narrow deeply at his comment and she has to actively resist the urge to float over the nearest solid area given the nature of his question. Her initial dislike of the man only grows as the conversation continues. Cagey people are not new to her. Given her previous work she pretty much engaged with the type exclusively. The oddity of someone with her history preferring those who speak openly is not lost on her. Perhaps it is because she knows her own secrets that she assumes others have them as well.

"If someone were to do that, someone better damn well hope I die from the fall." Rising over Baron's head, she
Dice Perception:
1d20+13 (1)+13 Total = 14
scans the area around him. Might be ambushes or the like, sure, but she is primarily interested in trying to figure out where they've come out. She'd never gotten a view of the island from a high vantage so she isn't entirely sure what to expect. "Should I even ask how you got here or will I just get another non-answer?" Something about the guy, as irritating as he is, keeps her from raising her voice. He's no ordinary cane-tapping, cigar-chewing Sundered. He's weird, which means he's potentially dangerous.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 01-31-2020, 09:35 PM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is offline
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 22662
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 12,311
Currently
Date 1st of Gladium (Summer)
Time ~ 1315
Weather Inside 20 *C
All the glitters is gold No, no – Baron be comin’ from a far off place. Not from anywhere around here.

Raelia could see from her vantage that the stone archway on the top of the platform was exquisitely carved archway standing there, and not much else. It was carved in runes and sigils, but not the same that were carved in the rest of the cave.

Tapping his cane and then gesturing towards the archway with his cane Baron responds, I’m not a’ animal, I used da door. An no, da platform stops here. Ain’t more up ta go dan dis. I think the idea is in case of emergency you supposed to leave the same way I come in. Course, you gotta know how to open da door for dat to be much use.

Baron smiles wide his gold tooth glinting.

So what’s da plan?


Leo Istvan Karl RaeliaGulvor Ranor Esperanza
77/83 69/69 32/32 47/58 54/62 33/58 28/67
- - - ----
__________________
Moving 800 km Oct 3 - 10; plan for delays.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 02-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Black Jim's Avatar
Black Jim Black Jim is offline
Truculent Troubadour
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 19169
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
Posts: 8,842
Stupid QuestionsGulvor marched up the stairs while Albatross took the opportunity to swing his way up with stereotypic monkey style. As they reached the platform, Gulvor collected the live ends of his ropes and handed them off to Leo and Baron, one each.

Right! First things first. Let's get the livestock and the treasure chest up here before the water gets any deeper. Haul away lads 'n lasses. No time to waste!"

Taking hold of the same line as Leo, he made ready and called out as if he were on the deck of a tall ship, prepared to hoist the mainsail. "Grab on, one and all. Haul as I call and the work'll be quick done." The short distance up only took a dozen pulls from everyone and was completed in less than a minute.

Gulvor promptly sat down on top of the chest once it reached the platform and turned a Sense Motive = 23keen eye toward the Baron. With a screwed up scowl that made him look like he was chewing on a rancid piece of seaweed, Gulvor stared. His regard was obviously an attempt to take measure of the Sundered as he searched the creature's face for a clue to the nature of the deceptions that were most certainly present.

"Lad, or is it lord?. Baron, t'would seem that we have need to open that door. Since you came in that way, have you any idea as to how it should be opened? Or, perhaps you are the doorman. Is it a price, then, fer us all to seek your beneficence and thereby open the way or to share how it's done?

I'd expect we have the means or else we'll be turning to dolphins and such. I suppose I could do just that once this place fills up and simply swim back up the stream that's pouring ocean water in. The rest of you all, however, could probably be better suited to walking through that door.

Spill what you know. No time now to be waiting on further formalities. Tide's a risin'!"


As he spoke, Gulvor considered theLinguistics = 30 language that surrounded the portal. He was an experienced traveler and had encountered many languages. Aspects of this one seemed, at least, familiar.


 

 
__________________
Hear the voices of creation and sing with them of what is in your soul so that every note becomes real.

Become a Community Supporter.

Last edited by Black Jim; 02-01-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 02-03-2020, 09:40 AM
ManicMonky's Avatar
ManicMonky ManicMonky is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 3029
ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky
Posts: 5,974


Istvan helps to haul up the treasure and donkey then differs to Gulvor as the sailor gets to the heart of the questions. The runic archway is like any other archway he has seen before, and the runes are just as cryptic as always. "Some days I wish I had more patients for studying this type of thing, Karl," he mutters absent mindedly.



OOC
Unless I call out a specific type of arrow, assume all arrows fired are normal.

Move action:
Action:



 


 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB