Game Thread Part I • Chapter 2: A Dangerous Business - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > 13th Age > That Fine Line between Genius and Insanity > The Way of All Things (Archive)
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old 01-31-2020, 01:49 AM
CharlesM's Avatar
CharlesM CharlesM is offline
The Puppeteer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-25-2020
RPXP: 1174
CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM
Posts: 295
Breeze leaps away from the Princess as if he's been burned. He looks back and forth between her and Bazziox and sputters, "No way... That's not... I mean... She isn't..."

He stops himself and takes a breath.

"You're telling me that I was just about to climb into Princess Maelona's lap?"

He can tell from the serious expression on Bazziox's face that he is quite serious. Despite the Dragonborn's gravitas, Breeze is too shocked to muster the appropriate solemnity for the occasion.

"Well... Yes! Yes, I will... I mean, I swear," he proclaims as he drops to one knee with all the grace of a rag doll.
__________________
I have sworn The Oath of Sangus.

Status: Posting on schedule.

Last edited by CharlesM; 02-03-2020 at 12:12 AM.
  #107  
Old 01-31-2020, 06:42 PM
AwesomeEli's Avatar
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli is offline
???%
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 16472
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Posts: 9,556
Emak the Meek and Guythraxix the HungryThe pensive, prolonged moment that stretched out from where she ended her grand reveal was simultaneously seconds and an agonizing eternity. Unfortunately, as it was ended by Brazziox, Emak was pretty sure she would have preferred it just have kept going on forever, until she died of old age - whatever dread she had been feeling at her somewhat fumbled attempt to salvage the situation was only made that much sharper as the taller reptile began laughing at her.

The words that followed were no less pointed, and slowly the small bard deflated down. Indeed, why shouldn't she be doubted, when far from even slaying a foe, she had been unable to even scratch one? A largely stationary foe, for that matter, which one had to assume typically made it much easier to hit. Her attempt to grab up the attention of the others had even been in shambles, with Brazziox trying to appease the others and herself, both with praise that rang hollow to her ears and with the information that was almost certainly too dangerous for them to be gifted with. But at the same time, was it any more dangerous than leaving the information largely in her own inept hands? Part of her doubted it.

He continued onward, with a rousing speech about duty and a call for reforged willpower to push forward, but it flowed around Emak as she drifted back to her seat, hardly noticed or registered. Quietly, she stepped over the log and sat down, drawing her feet in close as she faced away from the fire. She could feel the heat against her back, but it felt harsh and exposing instead of comforting. She slumped forward, tail sliding to wrap around her ankles as she moved to hug her knees, Guythraxix in his sling and feeling solid, reassuring against her chest. She had been overwhelmed by the importance of this mission when she had first been given it, but since then it had become clear to her that there had been a grave mistake. That for reasons she could not comprehend, her name had been written on some paper by accident and that had led itself to the current situation, with her sitting in a spot that was supposed to be meant for someone else.

Emak continued to fold in on herself, adopting the still silence and small, tucked in form that was best suited for being a good little library-goer. She missed the libraries, even if it was rinky dink shacks of small towns right before they were invaded by demons. She missed her family, even the times when her mother and fathers had dragged her out on business trips, to long and tiring and safe meetings to work out deals between companies. Mostly, she just missed home, and she didn't know if she would ever see it again. Didn't know if her letters to evacuate would make it in time, or if she would continue to fail her way toward accidentally making everything so much worse, here in a spot that needed someone else that was, at the very least, competent.


She really wanted to just go home.

 

__________________
Feel free to join us at the unofficial discord server or the Solo Bazaar!
  #108  
Old 02-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Aethera's Avatar
Aethera Aethera is offline
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 45378
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Posts: 17,272
Maelona
right-aligned image
Maelona
Maelona realized that the rather unique Gwir showing himself might break her disguise in the same instant that Tel turned the conversation around at her, neither of which would have been all that bad alone, but in combination left her uneasy. She hadn't been expecting the sorcerer to have much more on his mind than getting away from the strangely paranoid group which had abducted him, but then Kerr added his voice. The paladin was staring at her quite rudely, and even her upbringing couldn't make her return the glare, not while seated in the grass looking at the stars. She had no leg to stand on, quite literally. Breaking eye contact with him she looked sideways and away really at anyone else, hoping the 'heroes' assigned to protect her had a better plan than just telling them the truth.

Emak's insertion of herself into the middle of everything was a surprise, but it was a valiant attempt to distract the men from assuming Maelona herself was the issue. The lizardwoman definitely had her heart in the right place, and even if the princess didn't believe her tale, perhaps the newcomers would? For all they'd been told she carried an important message to Santa Cora, it could be possible that Emak were the center of the mission.

The dragonborn ruined it. Maelona's expression morphed into irritation when her chaperone laughed off Emak's attempt to skew the truth. He didn't even ask the others whether they agreed with his decision to tell Kerr and Tel the truth, nor did he even glance her way. Given Emak's distraction attempt, at least one of the two others who knew her identity didn't agree with the truth coming out here and now. But the dragonborn so ready to name himself advisor to her father spilled the beans and left nothing for her to hide behind. "I hope we lost anyone following," she told him with a frown. "Or you may have just given the whole thing away." What had been the point of her disguise, her commoner's uniform, if not to maintain her cover as someone other than herself? She rose and stomped off to the edge of the firelight just as Breeze was processing her identity, effectively cutting off any responses she might have made to the gnome. She liked him; he'd brought a certain light-hearted or at least endearing quality to their travels since Horizon, and she might have been sorry to shock him so. Maelona couldn't go far from the group, for her own safety, but she could lean against a scrubby tree nearby and check to see if there were any magical effects spying on them. "Anichnefste magika," she muttered, her eyes beginning to glow as she looked in all directions. When Bazziox came full circle to check for objections from Emak and Scabbard of Iron after ignoring their thoughts about keeping her secret, the princess gave a very unladylike snort, but at that point she was just fed up with the lot of them and chose to remain apart, speaking quietly with her familiar.
__________________
Status: Exhausted. Not sleeping well. Limited.
My Site ShtuffsGot Grammar?GM of Genius & Insanity
Nom Great Posts!RPGX RadioBBcode FAQDiscord Distractions!
  #109  
Old 02-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Grenadier's Avatar
Grenadier Grenadier is offline
Wizards Only, Fools
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 3284
Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier
Posts: 2,386
Telephus was taken by surprise when Emak made her grand declaration. "That means nothing to me," the tearaway muttered quietly to his goat. It was an admission of his ignorance rather than a critique of Emak's standing in society. Tel did not care much for money, save what it took to keep him warm and fed and quenched, so he cared even less for economics and trade. The astronomer gave the matter a second though, and he found the explanation wanting. He suspected Jolene was the company's ward due to the dragonborn's steadfast vigil over her. Far from being protected, Emak had been left to guard the possible assassin.

Still, Telephus was almost ready to accept the ruse. He was likely bound for Santa Cora either way, and the trip would have been much more comfortable in the company of Jolene than the lizardlady. It might have been fun to test the limits that the company would go to conceal the truth.

Sadly, Telephus would never get the chance. Bazziox burst into a fit of laughter, and he began to speak of Emak in a manner that made Tel wonder if he should feel slighted for having been left under her watch. That was a trivial matter, as Bazziox went on to set the record straight. It was a long winded affair, and Tel heard little of it. His eyes and thoughts were upon the supposed princess. If it were not for the golden dragonling frolicking about her shoulders, then his eyes might not have been convinced by the common looking lady.

However, the way the lady reacted was quite telling, and her little snort certified her pedigree. It possessed a dismissive quality that suggested a sense of self-importance that Telephus judged as regal, and he was convinced of the truth.

"The both of you are better souls than I," Tel said at length, speaking in admiration of the one's bravery and the other's honesty, "Well, disregarding the part you played in my abduction anyway." He was stalling for time. He had no more concern for politics than for economics, and he was not eager to get involved in Imperial affairs.

"All things considered, including the abduction," the half-elf continued, his starry eyes turning up to the night sky, "Then I am convinced this happening was written in the stars."

Telephus turned his glittering gaze towards Maelona, where she had gone off to be alone. "I pledge my services as stargazer and a sorcerer to the princess and her cause. May the Elf Queen see that the stars light the path to Santa Cora." He did not address the possibility that he could be rejected. The company would find it hard to get shed of him, stranded as he was.

Babble echoed with an affirmation of his own.
__________________
"I'm not going to be the ref! I'm a villain! Don't you see?!"
-Frank Reynolds, It's Always Sunny in Philladelphia

Dim the Drowned|Telephus Lorre
Tribulations of the Stag
  #110  
Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 PM
GrandCommander13's Avatar
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 is offline
Lord of Space Dundee
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 4538
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
Posts: 3,942
Scabbard of IronAnd so it was done. Their new companions were aware of their mission, and of the Princess's identity. Their prisoner, Telephus, seemed admirably willing to do his part for the greater good; Breeze as well said he would serve as he was needed; the paladin Kerr, bound by his oath, would also do what must be done. Bazziox would never let his ward down, no matter her indignation; the Princess was irrevocably a creature of the court, and grouse as she might she would also understand that this whole escapade was for the good of both her and the people of the Empire—so long as her father was a good emperor and she a good princess, she would continue to speed them on their way whatever her complaints.

That left little Emak. During the clamor of the revelation of the Princess's identity, she turned away. Rather than face the others and the light, she looked out into darkness and folded into herself. Perhaps it was best that, at this moment of excitement, there were eyes facing outward; Scabbard of Iron sensed, however, that wherever Emak's eyes looked at the moment, she saw little of the world.

Without regarding the group further he stepped over towards Emak, sitting down on the log beside her. He cast his eyes out into the darkness beyond them, allowing his eyes to adjust from the brightness of the fire; when he could see he scanned the distance intently, looking first for motion then for strange shapes that could be a lurking foe. They were dangerously close to Gorogan's Maw now—while they might encounter a party of heroes seeking to brave and plunder the Maw of various fiendish treasures, it was far more likely that they would meet a band of fiends come up through its bowels and eager to plunder the realms of mortals.

Monks, well-trained soldiers, veteran warriors—all of them were comfortable enough with battle to face down a demonic band without losing faith in themselves. Even if outmatched by the attacking fiends, they still knew what it meant to fight and win, and their hearts were hardened against the unspeakable cruelty embodied within the demon's soul. Farmers, recruits, untested adventurers—they would all break rank and run rather than face such ugliness. Until quite recently Scabbard of Iron could not have conceived of someone with no interest in fighting, let alone any experience doing it, being able to hold her ground against them—yet now he could. He turned his head towards Emak, focusing his vision on her while allowing his peripheral vision to continue appraising the distance.

"Do you still fear demons?"
  #111  
Old 02-10-2020, 02:37 PM
AwesomeEli's Avatar
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli is offline
???%
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 16472
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Posts: 9,556
Emak the Meek and Guythraxix the HungryAs Scabbard came to sat next to her, Emak didn't move, didn't reposition, didn't twitch even the tip of her tail. She heard the others' words but they washed over and off of her. Even when Scabbard asked her a question directly, she didn't really register it at first, instead just continuing to look out. Not seeing much of anything.

It was only the softest thump, maybe from her hand that rested against her tome in the sling and maybe from the book itself. But whatever caused it, it brought her back to the moment enough for her eyes to flicker, back and forth, twice. A long breath in, and then a slow exhale, enough for things to shift forward enough for a response to formulate to the question, empty and hollow to the woman it was for. "I don't think it matters, how I feel," she said flatly. Because it was the truth.

 

__________________
Feel free to join us at the unofficial discord server or the Solo Bazaar!

Last edited by AwesomeEli; 02-21-2020 at 06:20 PM.
  #112  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:31 AM
Grimbreath Grimbreath is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-15-2020
RPXP: 2259
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
Posts: 880
Kerr IronheartKerr felt surprisingly at peace, once the initial blow of the revelation wore off. Perhaps he was upset in part because, for all his vaunted skill as an Inquisitor, he'd missed this the biggest hidden fact of all, one right before his eyes.

There really was nothing for it now. Their path back, even if they chose to do so, was almost as dangerous as their path forward. Speed and what little stealth they had were their best options now.

Perhaps still smarting from the trick, Kerr ignored Jolene -- Maelona -- and turned to the rest of the party.

Directing his gaze to Maelona's triumvirate of protectors, he voiced his concerns:

"We should make better time. Given who we're escorting," at this he nodded at Maelona, "I think that we need to move more rapidly. There will be bottle-necks on the route, including where we are right now, where our enemies can set up an ambush. The longer we take, the more time they'll have to prepare.

"I'll leave it up to you," he said to Scabbard of Iron, Emak and the Princess' guardian, the dragonborn Bazzioux. "But I suggest that while we try to maintain stealth, we make a more direct path toward Santa Cora at first light."

  #113  
Old 02-21-2020, 09:22 AM
Roekahs Roekahs is offline
I'm your huckleberry
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 11803
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Posts: 4,352
Bazziox slowly relaxes his grip as the three newly-enlightened pledge their aid. Aid that most certainly will be valuable in the endeavor set before them. Despite some minor misgivings about the course he had chosen, the task is done. He had made the decision he would have advised the Emperor to make. So why is there a lingering sense of betrayal?

While the dragonborn's mind tries to reconcile the feelings with the facts, he can't help but smile at the Princess' indignant chiding. A woman used to exuding power, relegated to a pawn ... and stripped of free will. Bazziox's smile fades. Had it not just been he who had been in the prison of someone else's will?

Bazziox tears his gaze away from the sulking woman. His original companions have been more difficult to read since he revealed the truth. Scabbard had shown no outward indication that anything had even happened. Emak on the other hand had appeared completely rebuffed by the dragonborn's actions. Slowly Bazziox climbed to his feet, puzzling over the lizardwoman's reaction. She had gone from hero to sulking child in the span of a few moments. He had even commended her for her outstanding commitment, but that had somehow led to her withdrawal.

Bazziox hesitates. He takes a step toward where the monk and bard are seated together and stops. Frozen in a moment, the dragonborn debates. Then he swivels about, his tail whipping around, and strides toward the Princess. Bazziox slowly lowers himself down beside the young woman. His pipe has ceased to emit more than a token curl of smoke and he decides against refilling it at this particular moment, simply clutching it between a pair of claws.

After several moments seated in silence, Bazziox finally speaks. "You protest outwardly, Jolene, yet I suspect you are not unaware of the alternative. Had we left our companions in the dark, then I would have been bound to your hip. Any observer from any distance would have been able to spot the prize of this traveling party." Bazziox pauses and brings the pipe to his lips, absently puffing before remembering that the pipeweed had dwindled to ashes. With a sigh, he continues, "Yes, we must place our trust in them - blind faith, if you will - but at least we can observe them. If the worst happens and a threat develops from within, then I fear our task is already failed. But if it does not, then perhaps one of these additions will be the difference between success and failure."

Bazziox finally falls silent, gazing sleepily at the dark expanse before them.


OOC

 
__________________
Status: Distance Learning with young children is killing me ... delayed
GM: Sky Realm (Fate) | Blackbrooke (PbtA)
Playing: Cinch (SR) | Bazziox (13th Age) | Cassia(13th Age) | Jenny (PbtA) | Moemoe (Fate)

Last edited by Roekahs; 02-21-2020 at 09:23 AM.
  #114  
Old 02-22-2020, 07:30 AM
CharlesM's Avatar
CharlesM CharlesM is offline
The Puppeteer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-25-2020
RPXP: 1174
CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM
Posts: 295
Breeze remained supplicant longer than was probably necessary. As he knelt the surprise he felt gradually morphed into a sense of pride. Bazziox had invited him to join them on this trip, even speculated that he might be of help if they ran into any demons. So, Breeze knew that Bazziox knew that he could take care of himself, and help to protect everyone else, but he hadn't imagined that the stakes which he had been trusted with were so high.

He was part of something. He had never been part of anything before. At least, nothing of any importance. He had been part of the orphanage, of course, but he hadn't had any choice about that. He had been a student at the academy, too, but he really hadn't had any choice about that either, or at least it hadn't seemed that he had. After he ran away, he stayed hidden as best as he could because he thought that he would be forced to return to the academy if his instructors found him. So, as far as he was concerned he was not really part of either of those organizations nor were they ever a part of him.

This was different, though. He had been chosen, but not forced. Instead, he had been given a choice, too. He was here because he wanted to be here, and because he was wanted here. He heard the conversation of the group around him. He saw Emak retreat from the rest only to be followed by Scabbard of Iron. He couldn't hear what they were talking about apart from the others as they were, but he could see that Scabbard was concerned about Emak.

He cares about her, Breeze realized.

He thought about how quickly the Princess had rushed to help Telephus when she realized that he was in danger. She risked herself for a complete stranger, going to his aid because there was no one else who would; because she cared. He wasn't sure why she would care what happened to a complete stranger, but clearly she did.

He watched as Bazziox went to join her in spite of having been chastised for revealing her identity. Bazziox, too, showed concern. Although, it was different from the concern that Scabbard had for Emak it was obvious that he was concerned. He was puzzled over that, too. He thought perhaps that it was Bazziox's job to be concerned, but it seemed more genuine than that explanation would account for.

Even if he didn't understand why they cared about one another, he was sure that they did. He was with people who cared about one another, and they were all part of something that was very important. He was part of that something, too, and it felt good. There was nagging self-doubt, of course, and for good reason, but for the time being he buried it beneath the warm fuzzy feeling of inclusion.
__________________
I have sworn The Oath of Sangus.

Status: Posting on schedule.

Last edited by CharlesM; 02-25-2020 at 08:22 AM.
  #115  
Old 02-24-2020, 07:27 PM
Aethera's Avatar
Aethera Aethera is offline
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 45378
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Posts: 17,272
The declaration of intent had been made. For better or worse, these six would be working together to shield Princess Maelona from whatever came at them, or possibly die trying. The weight of the world crowded in around their campfire, whether acknowledged or not, for they each knew that times had to be dire if the princess were running from the Imperial capital in secret. It was no light thing they were pledging themselves to, and while each reacted in their own way to the revelation, now they must maintain their focus with the added weight behind it.

Maelona
right-aligned image
Maelona
The princess heard almost all of the comments directed at her, or in regards to her, but there was so much of her fixated on the waste of time involved in her disguise and restrictions, she couldn't really accept or answer in a reasonable fashion. Court should have prepared her for such, but there was something raw about the words spoken here that didn't really mesh with her etiquette, and she had trouble bringing one to bear on the other. The half-elf, the newest member of their group had a noble heart, and in spite of still feeling some measure of her comrades' mistrust in strangers, he joined the "good guys" team in her mind as he spoke. Scabbard of Iron and Emak had withdrawn, and though Maelona was distracted, her mind did take note. It was no wonder, really, when Emak had tried so bravely to claim the spotlight and shield the princess, but was undermined by Bazziox's reaction. Their guide, too, changed his tone, and his position in how she saw her companions changed with it. Warrior to the end, in spite of his gruff exterior as they had traveled, he knew when to step up and protect the cause of their little pilgrimage, even if it made their duty harder with less stealth shielding them from unfriendly eyes. He was also respectful, which felt like a tiny ray of light in the darkness. The three she had been traveling with had been so careful with keeping to her disguise that it seemed like, while their hearts may have been in the right place, it was a long time since someone had treated her with the sort of deference she was used to. Bazziox arriving at her side once more drew her attention away from the gnome's reaction to all of this. She glared at the dragonborn even as his words rang true. "Why bother at this point?" she asked at his use of her false name. "You've already called out my identity, no reason to stop now." There was a bitter edge to her tone, one she was still too emotionally charged to quite place. At this point her lack of further response to her chaperone was about as charitable as she could manage. Falling silent at his side, she fiddled with something in her belt purse, unable to remain truly still.

It was not a sound at their campfire that ended the tableau of comrades thrown together by fate. Maelona blinked and straightened, head turning as if searching for the source of the sound that one from each little group had heard. Bazziox by the princess' side turned as she cast about; Scabbard of Iron keeping Emak company with her morale in shreds straightened and perked his ears in the direction he thought he'd heard something. And of the new members of their group, the paladin stiffened and turned to look back over his shoulder. Despite the reactions of a few of their number, it wasn't really until Maelona whispered that the others noticed the abrupt change. "What was that?" she asked, finding herself turning north in the direction of Gorogan's Maw as she sought any further sound.

There was no further sound as the group rose, or turned, or reached for weapons to make sure they were close at hand. Yet still they could feel something in the darkness, whether it was just their fears multiplying in the shadow of the mountain or not. A flicker of something that could have been fire lit the rise of the small hill to their north, the first hint of the damage done to the open grassy plain when the demon had long ago tried to claw through from its plane to theirs. Their fire had already subsided from its first crackling claim of dry wood, but quickly they tried to hide it further, whether scooping dirt into the flames to put them out partly or just interposing their bodies between whatever may be north of them and the only obvious sign of their presence.

No immediate changes registered, but far sooner than they should have appeared, based on the clear night, there were inky shapes approaching them, and then a slouched vaguely-humanoid form moved clear of the hill and by the red glow coming from within its dark body, suddenly both sides saw the other revealed ahead, only a flickering shadow moving for a moment. The adventurers, arrayed mostly in front of the princess by some chance, all saw humanoid shapes, some wearing spiky dark armor, others with what looked like hard plates as part of their anatomy, but all of them with the same hint of fiery red glow where their eyes glittered. Demons. The demons in turn seemed to be in two groups, almost as though they had met here by the same twist of fate as the heroes. Three demons stood out; one was the glowing body that illuminated the scene, a creature made of what looked like Frenzy Demon, Lesserhardened lava that yet glowed. Four horned 4x Cambion Dirkstiefling-like guards followed that one, while four 4x Dretchessmaller guards (a mockery of humanoid form with fat bellies, elongated claws, and hideous faces) followed behind a pair that raised hairs on the back of necks and generally sent a chill through the adventurers. The pair consisted of a Soldier Demon, unsurprisinglywell armed soldier flanking a man, or the body of one, who might have seemed as a fair human if not for the glowing black hole where its face ought to be. It had Masked Demona silvery mask in one average-looking hand, toying with it as they walked, but when it caught sight of the party it turned its empty face toward the most well lit of the group, the armored and thus shiny Kerr. The knight and Breeze at his side were both Kerr and Breeze, both stunned (-4 to defenses). Others made their saves.caught off guard as they heard far off shrieks and wailing, fires dancing amid ghoulish specters that seemed to pour forth from the portal-face of the lead demon, and heat, most of all -- an endless raging inferno that called to them without any sound audible to their companions. The lava lump and its guards all seemed surprised to see anyone out here, but the masked demon, its servitor, and its guards all were quite quick to reach for arms or simply to extend wicked-looking claws.

GMRoll 18 or better to act before the demons! (You can still post, just keep it to immediate reactions.)
Escalation Die: +0
 
__________________
Status: Exhausted. Not sleeping well. Limited.
My Site ShtuffsGot Grammar?GM of Genius & Insanity
Nom Great Posts!RPGX RadioBBcode FAQDiscord Distractions!

Last edited by Aethera; 02-24-2020 at 07:31 PM.
  #116  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:42 AM
CharlesM's Avatar
CharlesM CharlesM is offline
The Puppeteer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-25-2020
RPXP: 1174
CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM CharlesM
Posts: 295
The warm, fuzzy feeling that Breeze got from being part of something that was bigger than a single gnome didn't last long. As the camp grew silent and one by one his companions' attention turned toward the north. Moments later the group of demons came into view and suddenly Breeze's legs felt as if they were made of jelly; barely able to hold his weight unsteadily.

He knew a little bit about demons from his time in the Academy. These were the enemies that Bazziox had believed that Breeze's magic would help them to defeat. Yet now that he was nearly face-to-face with them it took all he could do to hold his bladder, much less cast a spell. He stood helpless and watched them approach. Fortunately, nervous habits tend to present themselves in times of high stress, such as this, and without even realizing that he had done so Breeze flicked his ring and set it spinning.

A spell came to mind almost immediately and feeling the power of it build inside him, the bones in his legs gradually hardened and he regained some semblance of control over his muscles. And suddenly, the demons were upon them.
__________________
I have sworn The Oath of Sangus.

Status: Posting on schedule.
  #117  
Old 02-25-2020, 07:06 PM
GrandCommander13's Avatar
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 is offline
Lord of Space Dundee
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 4538
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
Posts: 3,942
Scabbard of IronSitting next to Emak, Scabbard looked out into the empty night. Of course, the night wasn't actually empty; under the cover of darkness all manner of things made their lives. If one adapted themself to the night, one could know it. Shield your eyes from light and the moon will light your way; be still long enough and you will hear the mosquito flying through the air and the beetle treading upon the ground. By expanding your awareness you find much where you once found little.

If one was too panicked rushing through the dark to be still, if one was too afraid to snuff out their candle that showed them nothing but hid from them the moon, they could run through the night forever without realizing what lay all around them; they might think themselves in an empty void that somehow conspired a way to trip them occasionally, but with no more life or form than that. While everyone prayed each night that the day would soon return to them, one never knew when they would have to find their way through the dark. Obviously it would be better to step confidently than meekly, but taking any steps would get you home faster than taking no steps at all.

"Emak," Scabbard of Iron said. He turned his head towards her once more. "It always matters how you feel." She would adapt. She would overcome.

It was just a moment later that Scabbard of Iron heard something. Not the crackle of their campfire, but the sound of something being dragged through dirt. His head turned towards the sound and he heard more. He rose to his feet and found that his ears had pointed him towards Gorogan's Maw.

Stepping over to stand with the others, the monk found their party faced down by not one but two separate groups of demons. One company looked surprised to see them, and the other looked eager to fight. Instinctively, Scabbard of Iron threw himself at the group most thirsting for battle, trying to remove as many small threats from the field as possible. Throwing himself at the dretches, he fails to punch a hole in one of their soft bodies but he does manage to occupy the attention of at least some of them.

OOCScabbard of Iron gets a 27 for Initiative by virtue of being a dexterous human with Improved Initiative.

He deals 4 damage to the dretches on a miss.
  #118  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:06 PM
AwesomeEli's Avatar
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli is offline
???%
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 16472
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Posts: 9,556
Emak the Meek and Guythraxix the HungryEmak heard the words that Scabbard gave her, but this time Guythraxix didn't force her to respond - instead she only sat, stewing in her own thoughts. Scabbard was pushing her to take a step, but from where she stood, there was nothing but the precipice she was on and the yawning void below that threatened to swallow her whole. It was only the sound of commotion, the disruption of the attack, that had her turning towards the demons, her brow ridges pinching down in displeasure.

Scabbard reacted first, flinging himself at the swarming demons with the might and fury of one who had trained themselves to the point of being a weapon, and Emak was perhaps surprisingly not much slower on the draw. Not that she drew her blade, mind, but she was moving, standing from her long and stepping over, towards the fire. Were he paying attention, perhaps Scabbard would have been reassured that Emak wasn't scared, not in a way that showed on her face. Instead, she wrinkled her snout and bared her teeth, eyes pinch forward, upset. Whether that was cause for concern itself was entirely, wholly not something the small lizard woman cared about right now.

Demons. Always demons. Always butting in, and ruining things. Can't read, can't travel, can't sit quietly and think without them showing up. It got under her scales fiercely, even as she stepped closer, by the fire kicked down. Somewhere in the few intervening steps, she had taken Guythraxix into her hand, claws almost digging into his leather cover hard enough to do some damage, and her chest was rumbling in an almost-growl, hovering down deep, almost out of the audible spectrum. Her anger just building, it was not the rushing monsters that forced her to bubble over, it was her long-term partner. From her grip, the powerful, booming voice of Guythraxix exploded out across the campsite and the battlefield, "FIGHT!"

And that was enough, for the time being. The anger rose up past the back of her throat and spewed out, hot and biting and rising, "I am... נמאס לי מזה!" Emak's bad habit of slipping into other languages was typically under control, corrected immediately, but that was gone out the window now. "Umorio sam se od toga!" The words were to herself, but carried far on a voice classically trained to project far and wide. And to manipulate sound powerfully. But it didn't matter, because her frustration, her helplessness, it was already roiling up, sustaining itself, and even as she stamped her foot, it didn't help. A second stomp, but this time paired with a thump from Guythraxix, who knew Emak well. Knew that the storm was coming, and knew how to help channel its fury and how to catch her words with a beat.

Mal som to!

Emak let out an angry, wordless burst, and the first peel of power slammed toward the lava monster.

Povedal som, že to mám!

Another bundle of power snapped out, this time at the pack of demons that Scabbard had launched himself at.

Mal som s vami ľudí, ktorí si nemysleli, že som tu!
Povedal som, že som to mal, a snažím sa vytvoriť scénu, o ktorej si myslím, že je to jasné!

A third, a fourth, and a fifth lashed out, angry power boring towards the other demons and erupting the air around them, the pressure from Emak's words and feelings seeking to tear asunder flesh and sinew, to wreak havoc and revenge on the targets of the songstress's momentary rage. Or at least the acceptable targets, anyway - anything else would take a lot more time to figure out. But in the meantime, the scent of mangled demonflesh would have to do.

 

 

OOCAnything that can get Emak a d20 reroll, or use a result as one of her own, will be really useful going forward to keep her sustaining her song.

Anyone that begins to act subservient to Guythraxix's commands gets a +1 to melee attacks and damage until the end of battle.
__________________
Feel free to join us at the unofficial discord server or the Solo Bazaar!

Last edited by AwesomeEli; 02-29-2020 at 01:57 PM.
  #119  
Old 02-29-2020, 10:38 PM
Grimbreath Grimbreath is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-15-2020
RPXP: 2259
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
Posts: 880
Kerr Ironheart's fears had proven prophetic. As if being vomited out of the crags above, the demonic hoards appeared through the darkness. The demons seemed equally surprised to see them, giving their party the slight chance that the travelers might need to get out of this horror alive.

Scabbard of Iron was the first to spring into action, like a human arrow shot from a bow. The monk moved with almost uncanny speed past Kerr. Somewhat surprisingly, the next blood was claimed by Emak, who began roaring in strange tongues that even the well-traveled Kerr had never heard before.

The faceless demon saw him and moved toward him. Just as well, thought the paladin, let the abomination come on. I would that they all were within my reach tonight!

Having been in the midst of the parlay with the Princess and the other party members, the Paladin's shield had been slung over his back while his iron-shod club hung at his side. As the demons came on he Stunned, -4 defensestruggled to swing his shield up to meet the attack.


  #120  
Old 03-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Roekahs Roekahs is offline
I'm your huckleberry
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 11803
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Posts: 4,352
Bazziox remains silent staring into the dark expanse. The fiesty youngling in him yearns to blaze a retort at the Princess. Fortunately, the impulse of youth blasts its way through the veneer less frequently these days. Instead, the learned advisor remains, holding the dragonborn silent as the youth of the Princess fumes nearby. A wry smile creeps across the dragonborn's features, though it is hidden by the black of night. A deep, contented sigh, however, penetrates the shroud.

Neither the smile nor the contentment lasts long as the camp suddenly begins to stir. Though Bazziox had heard nothing, there was no reason to doubt the others. It almost seems like a fear born of nothing as the dark night is the only thing staring back at the band ... until the fiery red form reveals itself.

Despite all the likelihood of demonic encounter both hinted at and outright promised, Bazziox has, until this very
moment, held on to the optimistic view that all their preparations would be wasted energy. In all the dragonborn's experiences, being over-prepared only meant that the thing prepared for would not materialize. Yet here, in the dark shadow of the one landmark they had prepared against, came the enemy - not eluding them but coming straight for them.

The shock and confusion left the taloned feet rooted to the ground as the demons fell upon them ...


OOC

 
__________________
Status: Distance Learning with young children is killing me ... delayed
GM: Sky Realm (Fate) | Blackbrooke (PbtA)
Playing: Cinch (SR) | Bazziox (13th Age) | Cassia(13th Age) | Jenny (PbtA) | Moemoe (Fate)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB