Game Thread Far and Wide - Page 11 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3069
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,674
Pat is looking around, wariness and concern in his eyes. Saya can tell Pat is thinking much the same as Saya herself and considering,I am not sure Saya. The Friars make such once easy decisions, now difficult. If it was just us, I would head down into the river bottom, find a nice bramble or overhanging bank to hunker under and settle down for the night. Now, Pat turns to look at the Friars, absentmindedly nodding his head,Now, I don't know. I think for the Friar's sake we stick with the 'town.'The way Pat says it, Saya can tell he doesn't think much of the place or their prospects for finding a safe place to spend the night. Two of them are wounded, they will need a place to rest, and, ah Saya! It was easy with just us, now, I feel a strange sense of responsibility for the Friars, Jol in particular. He and Father Keth have been more than decent to us. The others, well, they can hang for all I care, but Jol and Keth won't leave them be, hang their kind souls for the trouble it will bring us, but I say we stay with them and that means, checking the town. Pat's eyes turn a little grim as he eyes the buildings, dark and cold seeming and full of shadows. Pat sets out, motioning for Saya to cover as he takes point. Pat stops then, looking back seeing if Saya agrees to scout the town and whispers back to her,I know you have gifts, talents. You wouldn't happen to have any that would help reveal what lies ahead?

Jol immediately sees Mattias' wound is worse than first glimpse told. He also realizes this is not the same poison used on the goblin dart that hit Saya. Jol can't properly identify either poison, but he can tell Saya's was plant based, probably a variety of Night shade, where as Mattias' is a venom, one that attacks the flow of blood and the heart. Snake or spider, which he is not certain. Jol looks up to see Danicea sitting on the ground, smiling and hugging herself with her knees up to her chin, arms around them and her sword between standing up between her legs. She is rocking slightly and humming the nursery rhyme, "Little Bo Beep." Jol hears Father Keth, giving orders, taking Selmo, the better healer, with him, leaving Jol with young brother Dolan, who is earnest, but not competent. Dolan is also wounded, he is bleeding from his hip, but hasn't mentioned it, the young lad may not even know he is hit, yet. The pain will come soon enough.
Jol uses a spell to heal Mattias and ease the poison, allowing Mattias to breathe easier and more regularly. Jol then looks Dolan over. His wound is also poisoned, the same as Saya's. Dolan grasps Mattias' hand as Jol cleans and binds his wound. Halfway through the binding, Dolan slumps over, passed out from the pain and poison. Brother Dolan's breathing is regular and easy and the poison is not spreading. Jol feels aches throughout his body. He would guess it is just past midnight. He can no longer hear the orcs down the hill. The night is full of small scurrying sounds, the wind moving along timbered houses and through the thatched roofs. Jol even hears the distinct creaking of bell ropes in the town's small church tower.

OOC-All roll for listen, If Saya decides to scout the town, roll for spot and hide as well.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 04:15 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 10th, 2021
RPXP: 2015
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 934
Jol is feeling very tired, all of a sudden, as he moves to check on Brother Doran. The exertions of the day are beginning to catch up with him, and he needs to rest. His healing powers are fading. He looks up, speaking to those around him.

"We need to find somewhere safe to spend the night, and treat the wounded. Brother Mattias is not in a good condition. And I need to help Doran too; he is also suffering from the poison. I think we should consider the town. It seems deserted. If so, we can stay in one of the houses. Safer than out here, and warmer too. Do you agree?"

OOC
Dice Listen:
1d20+3 (15)+3 Total = 18

Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 12:04 PM
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Posts: 1,025
Saya nodded in agreement with what Pat was saying. Being with the Friars was nice, they had allies who had their backs for once. But it brought out this feeling of responsibility. With her and Pat,they knew their strengths and weaknesses, they were willing to lie, to kill if needed, to screw over some nice people if it meant living another day. But the Friars were too good for that. "I know what you're saying. They're all so... innocent. They wouldn't even kill in this battle to save their own lives, or ours. We had to do all the killing." That was the part that Saya was the most worried about. Having the Friars refusal to kill get them killed, or seriously hurt. Saya would do absolutely everything she could to prevent that from happening.

There was a little surge of pride when Pat asked if she had anything that could help them scout ahead. Pat was the much better scout, but he was trusting her with this task at the moment. He must have wanted to help keep an eye on the Friars. "I can see magic now, that'll be useful. We won't set off magic traps we can't see anymore. Which seems useful in a place like this. I'll scout and you can babysit this time." Pat may have been better at this than Saya, but she had a pretty good teacher. Crouching low, Saya moves into the shadows to start investigating the seemingly abandon town.

OOCSaya uses Detect Magic

Dice Listen:
d20+1 (18)+1 Total = 19

Dice Spot:
d20+1 (15)+1 Total = 16

Dice Hide:
d20+2 (2)+2 Total = 4
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 03:31 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3069
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,674
Father Keth is looking down the hill, towards where they hear the river flowing and the soft rustling of tree branches in the slight wind. They all began to feel the chill of night seeping into their bones. Everyone except Saya, move slower and with more aches. Now that the exubrance and adrenaline have faded, Lady Danicea looks about ready to fall asleep. Lady Danicea listens to Jol, slightly nodding her head at time, but he can she is not really hearing him. Brother Selmo walks over and lifts Danicea to her feet, leading her back to the others.
Pat walks over to Jol and sits down before pulling an apple from his pocket and slowly munching it. The halfling looks weary, worn down. Jol has not seen him like this before. Brother Selmo is now helping Danicea sip some wine. Danicea takes the wine and the help, but doesn't say thank you or even really notice Brother Selmo. Lady Danicea is looking at Jol. Jol can see tears reflecting in her eyes as she mumbles out,Is it wrong to feel such...such excitement, such I don't know, what I felt when fighting? Is it always like that? Pat stops chewing for a moment, about to say something, then letting Jol handle this question.

Saya is about to head out on her scout. Pat has walked over to where the wounded lay. She is alone for a moment before Father Keth walks up to her, Here, take these, use them if needed, and don't hesitate to call out if you need help. I will come running. Father Keth hands Saya two ceramic flasks of oil, easily breakable if needed, a flint and tinder, and a small, hooded lantern in the shape of a Griffon.
Once she is away from the others, Saya takes a moment to listen and get a sense of the place. At first all she hears is the wind and the sound of water dripping off the eaves and broken roofs. Many of the houses and shops she passes look warped from weather and orcs and goblins. She sees numerous orc tracks and some larger ones in most of the alleys. She finds plenty of refuse, old clothes, blankets, pots and pans and gardening tools. In some areas, it looks like the people planned on leaving, had time to get a bit organized. In other areas, it looks like they simply fled, dropping things as they ran. It is in these areas that she finds the larger tracks. They were made by some creature or creatures without shoes. As she grows accustomed to the town, she starts hearing the skittering of rats, sees a weasel, and two small cats, one that almost approached her, then ran off.
Saya is feeling confident and more certain of herself, when her arm itches, her tattoo warming. Saya is near a small church, to the right side is a graveyard. She feels her arm tingling, warning her of danger. Going around to the side, she hears a bone snap, followed by a hoarse sucking sound. On the side door of the chapel, Saya sees enchanted sigils with her detect magic. They are wards, active wards that repel the undead. Saya also sees a line of slightly glowing salt around the earth at the foot of the door and on a window sill, a few fee to the left of the door. The sucking and crunching sounds are coming from the graveyard or somewhere near there. The church barn looms across the back yard of the Church, most of the wrought iron fence leans at an angle or lays across the grown. Two of the black iron posts have been bent almost in half.
Saya is fairly certain someone is hiding in the Chapel and she heard a tinkling noise from the barn loft, followed by rustling, then all is silent.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 06:08 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 10th, 2021
RPXP: 2015
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 934
Jol glances at Pat, hoping he was going to answer Danicea instead. But no such luck.

"It is what it is" he shrugs in response to her question. "Everyone feels fear. Some can control it, for some, it becomes an overwhelming terror, for others, it turns into the battle fever. Is it wrong to feel one or another? I do not know. It is not as if you have a choice in the matter, you feel what you feel. Eventually you get numbed to it, if you see enough of..."

He closes his mouth without finishing the sentence, and stands up abruptly. This is not a conversation he is ready to have, least of all with Danicea.

"It is enough to give thanks to Orion that you survived unharmed" he concludes. "Be glad that you did, and try not to think on it too much. We will rest soon, once Saya has scouted the village."

He turns to Pat.

"Are you injured? I have herbs, poultices that can help. Or maybe this is what you need." He offers Pat a small flask of mead. It is fermented with honey from the aviaries he used to tend back at Corbie Abbey. There is not much of it, but it tastes good. It is potent, almost like a brandy. Jol brought it with him to remind him of home, and it looks like Pat could use a shot of it right now.

Last edited by Gibbon; Feb 11th, 2020 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:00 PM
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Posts: 1,025
The town seemed to be abandon, signs of the people having fled were everywhere. The footprints worried Saya. There were signs of goblins and orcs, but also of something bigger. They hadn't seen anything bigger yet, which meant it was still out there somewhere. They were already injured from the fight, if they had to battle against something else, it could result in somebody's death. She didn't like churches much to begin with, but with her tattoo making itself known, she really didn't like this one. Saya pressed a hand against her mouth to keep all sound away when she heard the sounds from the graveyard.

The Warlock took a few steps back. It looked like the only safe place left was the church, which might have had survivors camping out inside. But there was something in the graveyard. They would have to hope that whoever was in the church would even let them inside, and that they didn't trigger the thing in the graveyard in the process. Saya shook her head and started taking steps backwards. She would have to come back with allies. She didn't fancy fighting whatever it was alone.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 04:18 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3069
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,674
Sylana and TambovskySylana blinked the straw and mud from her eyes as sat up and looked around the wagon. Her confusion now gone. She watched the guards, chose her moment and freed herself and Tambovsky from their chains. The guards who arrested her had foolishly failed to search her. She still had her picks and her dagger and a crossbow quarrel she had picked up somewhere for some reason she couldn't remember now.
Tambovsky sat stunned, looking at his companions, all seeming as stunned and stupefied as himself at what had happened to them. He still wore his armor, they hadn't take that. The rest was gone, probably getting divided up among Rattik and his men. His brother's sword mattered most. He already missed the feel of it, the security it gave him. He remembered holding the blade, it's steel tinted green. It had held such promise. He looked around at the others. Soskia held her head between here knees. He hadn't yet seen her or the halfling. It was the first time he had ever seen a halfling up close like this. He couldn't tell if the halfling was a boy or a girl. Bauman was easier. He was a lean young man, younger looking than himself. Bauman had been crying and flexing and unflexing his long, thin fingers. That is until the halfling looked up and started freeing everyone.
They quickly slipped out of the gaol wagon and made their way to the edge of camp. None of them knew each other, yet they all knew, they wouldn't survive on their own. At least not this night. After filching a few things from one of the tents, they decided to head south through the fields rather than the roads. It wasn't long before they heard shouts and angry cries fill the air and the call for dogs to catch the escapees. The party started running, crawling through hedges, leaping ditches and scurrying through brambles. Tambovsky was definitely the strongest of them and Sylana the quickest. Sylana also had the advantage of being small, the brambles troubled her much less than the rest. After running for half an hour, they stopped to catch their breaths and get their bearings. They found they had been running north, not south, but there was no help for it now. In the distance they could their pursuers, using torches and lanterns and dogs to find them. That is when they decided to start crossing streams and small creeks, to confuse or lose their scent. It seemed to work for awhile, but always they could the horns behind them. Then it started raining and the rain turned to sleet, nearing exhaustion, they had to keep running.
Sylana suddenly pulled up, breath rattling in her lungs. She had seen movement in the trees across the river they had almost stumbled upon. She saw dark, hunched shapes. She wasn't sure what she was looking at, but Tambovsky did and so did Soskia. Those shapes were orcs. They continued following the river, watching the orcs when they came to a road with a bridge leading up a small hill to a village. They couldn't see any lights or any chimney smoke. It was odd to think the place deserted. It could offer shelter, a place to hide while they rested. Climbing the hill, they could now see the remains of a wooden palisade that once circled and protected the town. Only now it was rent in many places and in some, completely torn down. Entering the city the emptiness and silence grew heavier. In the dark and the sleet it was hard to see much clearly, so when they came across a two story, stoutly built building of brick and mortar with all the street level doors and windows bolted shut. They stopped. Sylana was going to pick the lock when Soskia noticed a second floor window with a loose shutter. Knowing their pursuers were close behind, along with the orcs, Tambovsky literally hurled Sylana onto the second floor balcony. Sylana then threw down a rope and they all climbed up. Soskia the quickest and poor Bauman the slowest and clumsiest. They climbed in the window, closed and locked the shutter and sat down against the wall, dripping and cold. Soskia let out a small laugh, What a story for my grandchildren,she says, as she leans her head back against the wall.


Jol and SayaSaya stood in the street, hand to her mouth, thinking her options when she heard a horn in the distance. It didn't sound like an orc horn. That was followed by the clear jingle of horses and men, most likely armored. Saya turned that way nd moved closer to the buildings, hiding herself. She watched as four people, three humans and a halfling stumbled up the street. They were all covered in mud and frost and the halfling had a cattail sticking out of her hair. Even at this distance, Saya could hear them gasping for breath. She also noted the sounds from the church graveyard had stopped. Whatever was over there, was watching them too. Saya watched them throw the halfling onto the balcony and then all of them clambered up a rope, and into the building through an open window, which they promptly closed.

Thank you Father Jol,says Lady Danicea,I will take your wisdom to heart.Danicea stands up and starts helping with sorting the orc gear. Jol turns to Pat. The halfling is standing there, glassy eyed and mumbling. Pat seems to be hallucinating. Pat doesn't respond to Jol, just keeps staring. Jol walks over and examines Pat, finds a small dart, the size of his pinky, with purple feathers, stuck in the back of Pat's neck. Jol also feels magic. Someone cast a spell at Pat. Sniffing at the dart, Jol can tell it is poisoned. Jol's face crinkles into an awkward grimace at the smell of jimson weed from the poison. Jol knows jimson weed has hallucinogenic properties. What it is?says Father Keth,walking over to stand Jol. I think it was a mistake to send Saya out by herself. Do I compound the problem by following her or should we just wait. I am more uncertain than ever Jol. I feel I keep making one poor decision after another.

Last edited by Rasgorn; Feb 15th, 2020 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 04:34 PM
LauraKell's Avatar
LauraKell LauraKell is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 26th, 2020
RPXP: 326
LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell
Posts: 108
Sylana drew her breath carefully and sighed. They had made it but weren’t safe yet. Between chattering and freezing with the cold and the wet and worried about the patrolling orcs who might be still around Sylana controlled herself looking for a fireplace to light a small fire for everyone to warm themselves. It was probably too risky and seeing how easily they had been captured it wasn’t work risking.

It was in the catch of the moment that Sylana turned to the large human fighter. Trying to look as mad as she could, although it was difficult with water dripping down her cheeks, she angrily whispered ”You know I am pretty good at climbing. You might be strong but there was no need to throw me like that.”. As an afterthought she spat out ”There’s no point escaping a hanging if you are going to break my neck anyway.” She was so upset even the normally scary sight of a large man with no eyebrow didn’t phase her.

Sitting on the floor and beginning to squeeze the water from her clothes and finding something to dry her feet, she finished with ”Who are you people anyway?.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 05:11 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
Pisseur de copie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19687
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 7,530
Tambovsky was rattled by the halfing's oversized fierceness.

But, then again, everything about the past day was one collective rattling of his past sensibilities.

For instance ... ever since he had joined up with his troop, he had always been a loyal soldier. He might not have agreed with all the orders; he might have thought some superiors more deserving of respect than others, but he always obeyed. And part of him still felt the call to march back to the troops hunting them down and surrendering to them. After all, if they said he was a deserter, then a deserter he must be. And if it hadn't been for this halfling--this thief of slippers and garments, apparently--forcing the situation, then he would have allowed himself to have been led to the gallows and die obediently. By all that is sacred, he would have even saluted as the hangman tightened the rope. He looked at Bauman, who seemed to have accepted defeat even now that they have escaped ... Bauman seems like he would have marched to the gallows as well.

But ... things have changed. All these events have forced him to revert to another sensibility that he had learned from a life of being a refugee, from creating new worlds and realities each time his family had fled. Survivors, he knew, accepted the change. And this halfling, by freeing them and delivering them into a stronghold of sorts, had created a new reality. For better or worse, he had traded his soldiering troop for this motley band of escapees. He didn't know who would lead them, or if they would lead themselves, but he knew, just as he realized during the escape, that they had to rely on one another to survive. At least for now. And he knew that meant that they had to trust one another.

I'm sorry, wojownik. But I have a feeling your neck is far too slippery to be broken by my clumsy hands. Tambovsky says, removing the cattail from the halfing's hair ... and then, to his horror, realizing that might have been a patronizing gesture for a small, but definitely proven hero. Forgive me, I am in your debt. And whatever name or deed they might seek to hang you for, I will call you by the words of friend, comrade and whatever title you wish to wear among us.

Tambovsky performs a small bow for the halfling; low enough to show respect, not so low and obsequious to be confused as a gesture of mocking. Though he loathes thieves, he respects action and recognizes a life debt.

To Bauman and Soskia, he gave a glance, a mix of confidence and, if needed, a bit of intimidation, as he slowly, clearly says: We have much, much to do. And we must do it quickly. We must find weapons and assess the entrances and exits. But most importantly, and first, we must do this ... Tambovsky removes his glove and holds out his hand...Forgive this provincial, village gesture...but I see it as a necessity. We must pledge ourselves to one another, to defend one another, to not abandon one another and... here, Tambovsky gives a slight glance to the halfing, to not steal goods or withhold necessities from one another, whether they be food, gold, weapons...or even the most charming slippers. Give me your hand, and join this pledge.

Tambovsky holds his hand, remarkably still for all that he has gone through. And waits to see the reaction of what could be his new comrades, or what could be merely a runaway band of cowards, witches and thieves, each looking out only for themselves.

 
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 06:54 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 10th, 2021
RPXP: 2015
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 934
"Saya knows how to look after herself" says Jol to Father Keth. She's already demonstrated that. Better than the Grey Friars, no doubt. "And you have done admirably, Father," he says, with all sincerity. "We are all reassured by your presence."

"But I do believe events have overtaken us. Pat, Matthias and Doran are all suffering from poisoning, and I do not have enough knowledge to cure them. My studies at the Abbey only touched upon these matters. All I can do is try to aid them, to help them fight off the poison. They need to rest, and here in the open is not safe. If the orcs come back, I do not rate our chances out here. Let us make our way to the town. Saya will come and find us."


Or at least, Saya will come and find Pat, but that amounts to much the same thing. Jol suspects the town is not much safer than out here, given orcs are abroad and the place appears to be deserted, but a night in the church surely has to be preferable than out here on the hillside.

Jol does what he can for Pat, quickly but carefully removing the dart from his neck, once again doing his best to ensure he does not touch the poison. He can also sense the magic on the halfling, although he doesn't remember anyone casting a spell in the fight with the orcs. But he does remember the invisible goblins. Something had done that, made them invisible. And if that something was a spellcaster - well, then it was still out here somewhere.

He glances around. The darkness seem even more foreboding now, potentially concealing more enemies. Possibly watching him even now. The thought makes a cold shiver run down his spine.

"Let us make haste for the town church" he urges Father Keth, quietly but firmly. "There we can rest, pray and wait for daybreak."

OOC and rolls
Heal roll for Pat to use on save vs poison, if necessary, spellcraft to attempt to identify the spell cast on him
Dice Heal:
1d20+7 (15)+7 Total = 22

Dice Spellcraft:
1d20+6 (2)+6 Total = 8

Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 12:14 PM
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Posts: 1,025
Saya pressed herself against the building, pushing her hand harder against her mouth in the process. The sound of the horn was a familiar one, it was the sound of men on the hunt. Most of the time when she heard it, they were after her. But these ones seemed to be on the hunt for the figures that fled into the church. Men like that weren't as noble as they were supposed to be, if they found a bunch of wounded priests out on their own, especially ones that harbored a very attractive female knight, things wouldn't end well. Keeping a half an eye on the graveyard, Saya took off at a run, hoping to get back to Pat and the others in time.

She thought for a brief moment about going into the church and warning the four who had fled into the building. But the thought quickly vanish. They could hang for all she cared. She'd much rather get to Pat, and to the group of priests who were so pathetically against killing that it would be the death of all of them. Pat was her best friend, her only family. The priests, well, there was safety in numbers, even if those numbers refused to kill.

Saya was slightly out of breath when she returned to the priests and Pat. When she saw Pat's glassy eyed stare, what little color she had drained from her face. He must have been poisoned, which is why he insisted that she go. It only made her more intent on getting them all to safety. "The church, now. The whole town is deserted, there's something creepy in the graveyard. But the church has protective wards. There's at least four people in there already but we'll have to deal with it. Men on the hunt are much more dangerous than Orcs, we need to get to safety before they see a bunch of helpless priests and two attractive women. Well, one attractive woman and me, who is much less pretty but still something they can put their- ...never mind. Church now." They didn't need to hear her talk like that right now. She was sure they could understand. Saya went over to Pat and picked up the poisoned Halfling, just like she did when they were doing their mother and child schemes, and urged the rest of them to get the wounded.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 01:22 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3069
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,674
Sylana & TambovskySylana's question hangs in the air for a moment. Before anyone can answer, Tambovsky holds out his hand and makes his declaration. Bauman immediately reaches for his hand, grasping Tambovsky's hand calloused hands with his thin, smooth skinned fingers. I swear,Baman says with all the solemnity of a priest at mass. Soskia looks up. Both Sylana and Tambovsky catch notice. Soskia has startling violet blues eyes in a smooth skinned, unblemished face with delicate cheeks and nose, that are almost elf like. Her face is framed by long, white blond hair. Soskia looks at Tambovksy in all seriousness, then crosses her eyes and laughs. Soskia sits back, using one hand to wring wet and sleet from her hair, Tambovsky, are your wits addled? Why would I make a pledge to someone I don't even know? What we just did, that was desperation and fear, that and an ugly turn of fate brought us together. I don't, I mean, right now, I trust little miss slipper pants over there more than you. Soskia stops speaking when she notices Tambovsky staring at her. Soskia scoots farther away from him, definitely nervous now. I am a cobbler. I stole leeks and onions and bread and sausage from Vicar Huirass. I just, I just wanted to feed my family, my children, my wife. Now what's to become of them?Bauman lowers his head and starts sniffling. Soskia looks at Tambovsky, then scuttles next to Bauman and hugs him, making soft cooing noises as she does. Soskia looks at Sylana and Tambovsky, asking with her eyes, if she is doing this right.


Jol & SayaJol just finishes cleaning and wrapping Pat's wound. The halfling is already blinking normally after Jol's administrations. Jol can't tell exactly what kind of spell was cast on Pat. He does know it didn't take and that it was some kind of enchantment or charm. Jol doesn't know why, but he gets the sense the spell was cast by a human.
Jol and Father Keth are discussing what to do next when they hear horns sounding on the south road, the same road they used coming into town. The riders or whoever blew the horn would arrive shortly. Father Keth crosses himself and says a prayer. [B]That's not good. Normally I would welcome that sound, but not tonight, not now, says Father Keth. Keth turns to Lady Danicea, Lady Danicea, look to yourself, grab your weapons and pull on a cloak, hide yourself as much as you can.

Saya had to blink for a moment, catch her breath. She felt winded and light headed. Taking a deep breath she looked around again. The church still showed no signs of life and had gone completely quiet since the sounding of the horn. Even what was in the graveyard had gone still. She looked down the street, a block at most from the church stood the brick and mortar building where the four had hidden. She was about to turn when she saw the first rider. He was dressed in half plate, his armor dully gleaming with frost. He rode slow, cautiously, a spear held low to the ground, shield tight to his hip. Behind him was another rider. This man was hugging his cloak about him and shivering and muttering, Damn halfling. She is going to pay for making us ride through this night. The other rider turns, shushing him. Saya takes that moment to slip away, running back to Pat and the Friars as fast as she can.

Saya reaches the Friars and finds them all gathering their things. Lady Danicea seems okay, at least she is packing and making herself useful. Seeing Pat, Saya rushed to him and he eagerly climbed into her arms. Both Jol and Father Keth could tell Pat knew he was hurt, vulnerable, which was a good sign. He clung to Saya, burying his head in her neck, I bin poisoned,he whispers, Jol saved me. Saya holds Pat close, just relieved to feel him breathing evenly, resting against her as he allowed himself to sleep now that Saya was here.
Father Keth asks, Did you see any colors, any banners on these men? He looks to Jol, tight lipped and angry,By the Saints, will this night never end?

Last edited by Rasgorn; Feb 16th, 2020 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 02:06 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
Pisseur de copie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19687
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 7,530
Tambovsky had meager patience for cooing noises and protestations of caution. His life, all of their lives, were still hostage to the whims of this night--and they could survive only if they worked together. At least Bauman understood that.

In case you didn't notice, witch, that "ugly turn of fate" as you call it, was what saved you from drowning. And judging by how you don't seem to like even a splash of water in that hair of yours, I would think you would regard drowning as far uglier than this. If you can't pledge your honor, at least pledge us your life and blood.

Tambovsky rarely had to use this type of tone, even with his soldiers, and he feared that anger would get the best of him, so he deliberately crossed his arms in front of him, to show he had no intention of either blows or defenestration (tempting, but impractical since the body of a witch lying on the ground would alert their pursuers). But he wasn't done yet.

And, by the way, it isn't "Miss Slipper Pants." This halfling is the reason we are all alive, and as far as I am concerned, her actions have earned her our respect and our debt. She is our leader if she so chooses. If she accepts you, then so will I. If not, then neither will I. Bauman, you I will protect and fight for on this night. Then, if you choose and when The Slipper Thief Lord allows, I will aid you in returning to your family to ensure they are able to flee with you to a safe location with food in their stomachs and their sacks."

It was, Tambovsky had to admit, a bit much--all these pledges and binds to the future in a few short minutes. But, in his own mind, he was convinced it was his role to force the unity ... if a lighter touch was needed, he had left an opening for the deft-fingered halfling whom he had now proclaimed as his leader. But something, anything, had to be done soon. He thought could almost hear hooves approaching.

 
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 02:22 PM
LauraKell's Avatar
LauraKell LauraKell is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 26th, 2020
RPXP: 326
LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell
Posts: 108
”What is this?” Sylana thought. The brute not only had ruffled her hair like she was no more than some common urchin but then bowed. To top it all off he was taking oaths now? He sure is a formal one. ”I guess he was a soldier or something before getting caught up in this. No one else would have such a broom up their behind, as mama used to say, as him. Sylana smirked. Thinking of home was nice and he wasn’t such a bad guy. Smiling through her teeth she courted in response to Tambovsky’s bow then raising herself onto her tip toes Sylana raised her hand. I guess I’m on board too. No sense fighting against each other. There’s plenty of people to do that with before we start arguing.

Her warm feeling of happiness didn’t last long. ”Now listen here you crone. If it weren’t for that man there”, Sylana pointed to Tambovsky, ”you’d still be outside and dripping in the rain. If he hadn’t seen that open window as quick, we’d probably all be back in that wagon now. As for little miss slipper pants if you keep complaining then you’re going to find yourself without either. Now buck up and make the promise.”. Sylana panted. She was visibly annoyed and in no mood to argue.

Batman was complaining. Must be his first time or something. Sylana considered.

Now what are we going to do? In my experience their are only three options. Over, under, or through. If there was a drain system we could try that, or a rooftop escape across the place, or we just bluff our way out and hope the darkness does its job. What do you think big guy?
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 03:20 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
Pisseur de copie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19687
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 7,530
Over, under or through ... you think like a strategist, wojowniczka says Tambovsky, realizing that this was a woman halfling and, more importantly, that she was a leader who wasn't going to let this group down. I will take the "through," and allow no foe to come through this window. Bauman, we rely on your strength and courage to watch over any stairs you might find, and alert us if someone comes up them. Witch, you can make your choice if you are with us or not.

Tambovsky speaks as if he is giving orders. And in his mind, he is. Which means he dutifully concludes with a quick glance at the halfling, his chosen superior, providing her the chance to approve, amend or reject his plan.

Will that free you to explore the "over" and "under," Slipper Lord?

He listened, alert for her answer, as well as for any sounds being carried into their sanctum.

Last edited by bananabadger; Feb 16th, 2020 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB