Game Thread Chapter 2: Trial and Crucible - Page 13 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Forsaken Plane: The Plane of The Elder Evils
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #181  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:37 PM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 17273
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 21,109
SanatariumWhile he cocks a brow at Dr. Mendela's certitude, Aurelius sighs. "Poor, sad wretch. To have your mind split asunder and at odds, like some mental cancer. Horrid, dreadful," he says with a shake of his head.

Dr. Aylmer shrugs over the discussions of innate magics. "Often, intense human magical talent can be traced back to otherworldly bloodlines and influences. Humans have that remarkable breeding compatibility after all," remarks the elven doctor with a slight smirk. "This could be more of the same or a rare latent human propensity. In either event, in theory, isolating that element could be feasible."


Dr. Aylmer is relieved to return to the laboratory again, doubly so to see his Yana's remains still there. He asks a brief tour of the various instruments and reagents available to acquaint himself with his options, particularly the more unfamiliar devices. He is once again filled with the sensation how this facility dwarfs anything he has ever beheld at the university. His own portable alchemical kit feels like a stone club in comparison.

The good doctor gathers his bearings of the tools at his disposal. Fixing his spectacles, Aurelius dons a fresh lab coat and surgical gloves. He first gathers three of his 2 CLW extracts & 1 CMW extractcurative vials. He render inert and prepare different extracts via Infused Curativemixes and repurposes them for some 3 True Skill extractsadditional tonics to boost his prowess for the delicate procedures he shall attempt.

Dr. Aylmer gently sets his creation's head on a tray. He downs one of his True Skill (+3 insight on next skill)skill extracts and a Channel Vigor (mind: +4 competence bonus on Knowledge checks)focusing extract in preparation. With a syringe, he carefully injects one of his CMWstronger curatives all over the head. Letting the revitalizing fluid seep into the tissues, he activates his Detect Magic spell-like abilitynative magic sensing. Scrutinizing over the tissue closely, he
Dice Knowledge (arcana) with True Skill and Channel Vigor bonuses:
d20+15+3+4 (13)+15+3+4 Total = 35
traces the flows of magic to where they are concentrating the most strongly. Dr. Aylmer carefully takes a half dozen tissue samples from the concentrated areas. 'These should be the most resilient among the remains.'

Putting his tools down, Dr. Aylmer requests some nutrient baths be prepared. The orderlies hasten to the task. So focused on his task, Aurelius could hardly pay any but meager attention to the minions. Even his sharp eyes could not pick out any faces beneath the hoods. While odd, he files it away as a curiosity for later. Downing another skill extract, Aurelius looks over the baths and begins adjusting the mixtures. He increases the concentrations to
Dice Heal with True Skill bonus:
d20+16+3 (16)+16+3 Total = 35
optimize growth of the tissue cultures, though not so much as to smother them.

Aurelius wipes his spectacles in preparation. Flipping open his formula book, Dr. Aylmer pores over his research notes and reviews the chemical cocktails he used for his creation. His eyes flick over the numerous calculations and measurements. He sips steadily from a Crafter's Fortunecrafting extract and his last skill extract until he turns the last page. With a resolute expression, Dr. Aylmer arrays a set of beakers in front of him and calls for a great procession of drugs & chemicals. A man on a mission, he
Dice Craft (alchemy) plus True Skill and Crafter Fortune bonuses:
d20+25+3+5 (14)+25+3+5 Total = 47
distills and measures out a precise new cocktail. And then a slightly different proportion. And another four slightly different mixtures proceed for the rest of the half-dozen samples. His eyes scarcely blink from the irritating fumes. With a syringe, he takes some fresh blood samples with medical efficiency. Blood, his blood, was one of the key binding agents for the process, and he carefully stirs each mixture as he mingles in his blood drip by drip. He patches himself without giving a second thought. Dr. Alymer loads each mixture variant into a syringe to inject into the samples. Gingerly, Aurelius places each in a nutrient bath.

With baited breath, the good doctor waits for a tissue culture to react and take to the growth stimulant. It is nerve racking. Eyes longing for results see half-hints that prove nothing. Hope and despair appear and fade in a flash again & again.

The tissue sample with the best growth reaction moves on to the next phase. In a shallow but long nutrient bath, Dr. Aylmer lays Yana's head down lovingly and attaches the growing tissue along the severed neck. His syringe loads up more of the winning formula. He
Dice Craft (alchemy) plus True Skill and Crafter Fortune bonuses:
d20+25+3+5 (1)+25+3+5 Total = 34
coaxes more growth with careful injection, bit by bit. The undifferentiated culture should absorb the coding from the head, but judicious use of scalpel and chemicals should supply any deficits.

 
OOCUsed up eight out of 12 extracts in the process. Hopefully, the dice cooperate for once.
__________________
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 02-25-2020, 06:45 PM
kaylara's Avatar
kaylara kaylara is offline
The hidden treasure
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 19901
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Posts: 19,012
Kallev LittletonKallev looked around in disbelief. Now her visions are trying to make her believe she just killed some weirdo that was trying to give her some cursed red book. What was it with the obsession of red, blood and death...

Coming to realization of the new "dream"/"nightmare", the scene had taken a horrible turn again. Why the... More cursed vision from that dammed red book. she commented then looked at the crown of people, It's not what it looks like. If I were you, don't touch that book... she added, trying to disbelieve the image of the man. Deep down she knew she had not killed any one, regardless of what foul magics were trying to twist her into.

After the short comments, she quickly made her way out the door, attempting to get as far away from this cursed city as possible. As she moved out and into the street, she waved her hand over her hands, body, dagger and garments, cleaning everything and every inch of herself spotless with a fresh white plum smell.

 
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM
WhiteStag's Avatar
WhiteStag WhiteStag is offline
All the world's a Stage..
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Posts: 2,953
left-aligned image


Quietness is the only sensation that delicately holds his slow and still heart...

Golden words trickle in, slightly, sincerely, and ever-so reassuringly... as Jonathan can only sit silently and listen with the utmost respect and admiration possible. He begins to weep... Tears of release drip down his somber face in the cold shadow.

His life has been such a torment.
His whole existence has been fraught with betrayal... severance... shrill murder... demonic manipulation, and totalitarian corruption, that has wronged him violently from the absolute very beginning. Orphaned from childhood, he knows no safety. He has never learned quiet comfort. He does not understand nor has he witnessed the face of beauty... the sweet delights of life.

Now in this dark cell, these whispering words, deep inside his vacant mind, where no one can suppress...

... These words are the first sensations of... Paternity...deep knowing... he has ever experienced, in such a long, long time. ~*





From the shadows, slumped in a corner, watched closely by faceless creatures, he whispers out words of tentative alignment,

'Don't you toy with me, Great Voice...
Don't you use me as all others have done.
I will heed your words, I decree. I will follow your guidance...
I will perform your edicts...

But, if I am mislead, Great Voice... If I am betrayed once more... I will END us, without the slightest recourse.
I will strike out my heart. I will bring a silence to you... I will extinguish my dishonorable life finally, once and for all...'


 
__________________
"All that is gold does not glitter/not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither/deep roots are not reached by the Frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken/a light in the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken/the crownless again shall be King."

Last edited by WhiteStag; 03-03-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 02-27-2020, 11:47 PM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 29424
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 10,879
Transitions
Kallev in a loop


Ma'am, you forgot your book... you must not forget your book...

With the last words of the murdered man echoing in her ears, Kallev struggled desperately to disbelieve the illusion.... it had to be an illusion. As Kallev struggled in denial of the scene, she could not discern an illusion... she could only feel the blood on her hands... on her dagger... on herself. There was growing sense in Kallev's own mind now this was no illusion and that a man had died by her hand. Whether she was sane at the time of the act would be an unanswered question, but there was no question that it was her hand that done it. Still how could she be sure this was reality...

"Seize her...!"

"Alert the inquisitors..."

"Do not let the murderer escape..."

When Kallev spoke to the crowd surrounding her, her proclamations seem to shake the men present out of their shocked stupor and they all moved now to bar her from escaping as they quickly barred the exits from the parlor as sounds and calls for inquisitors and rope were made. In fact she had gotten no more than a few feet in her bloodied state when Kallev felt herself tripped by someone's leg and the men surrounding her and pinning her legs and arms. Kallev began to feel the bindings being placed on them...



Sanitarium - Aurelius Doctor Mendela only raises his eyebrows and hmphs quietly at Aurelius' response before ushering him to the lab where is heart and mind had been focused. Aurelius cared about his friend, Jonathan, as it was such a duty of a gentleman to see to the welfare of those given his friendship, but deep down his true heart... his true mind... since he arrived at the Sanitarium and learned of the possibility of the recovery of his Yana's remain was this task. Aurelius threw himself into the task like a man possessed, meticulously taking measure of every step... ensuring that the chemical concoctions that honed his mind into a razor's edge were prepared and imbibed at the correct times. There could... there would be no margin of error. Aurelius would make sure of it. Love demanded such rigor and attention to detail. For his part Doctor Mendela observed Aurelius at work and with the exception of a few parts of the process, he look rather unimpressed though he still did document everything Aurelius did as meticulously, or if possible, more meticulously than Aurelius' own efforts.

Yana laid in a formative state in the sophisticated vats that held the chemicals that would promote cellular growth. Even though in his mind, the process would take more than the hours that he poured over the vat, Aurelius remained... and was amazed at the accelerated rate that the equipment seemed to promote and grow the tissue to a near exponential level. New hope bloomed in his chest as the time passed and with the help of the extraordinary equipment in Doctor Mendela's lab, Yana was restored... in body. Yana's body rested in a peaceful and unmoving repose in the nutrient bath... she was near perfect copy of the state she had been before her untimely unmaking... just as Aurelius remembered her. Aurelius' joyfully looked to Doctor Mendela who had been with him the entire process and saw a distinct look... disappointment. Clearly, what Aurelius saw as a miracle and the pinnacle of his work thus far, did not impress his host, who stood there with his brows furrowed.

"There are no signs of consciousness at all... Perhaps, it would be best to retire for the evening and recover our mental and physical states in preparations for the next steps in restoring your... daughter. "

OODM:@dbaque - Body is repaired... just got no heart and soul... and mind... for now.




Sanitarium - Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
"But, if I am mislead, Great Voice... If I am betrayed once more... I will END us, without the slightest recourse.
I will strike out my heart. I will bring a silence to you... I will extinguish my dishonorable life finally, once and for all..."
"I am YOU. You will not end us... had you truly the conviction to do so before, we would not be having this conversation this day. You made me because you did not want to go the path of the coward... to surrender when you should stand. To have courage." The voice chastises tersely to Jonathan's threat. "It does not take courage to take ones life in the face of adversity... it take cowardice. If you say you led a dishonorable life, then it is coward that takes his life instead of using it to right those wrongs."

"Do you know why you seek out the Golden One? Do you think it is to hear his voice? Nay, Jonathan... deep down you seek the Golden One... as most who truly seek a god because you want him to listen." The voice continued its explanation. "Because it is only in that belief, we cannot hide our darkest thoughts or misdeeds from him... if we believe, even the lies we tell ourselves... delude ourselves with... falls away until only the truth remains. You must become strong enough one day to face that truth... some day you will and on that day we... all of us... shall truly become one."

So with that cryptic line, the voice in his mind falls silent and Jonathan is left to his own thoughts once again.





OODMOnward!

 

__________________
Posting Status: Possessed by the holiday spirits... Posting impacted. :)
DM:The Forsaken Plane: The Plane of Elder Evils
"The only way to do the impossible is to believe that they are possible."
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 02-29-2020, 09:21 PM
kaylara's Avatar
kaylara kaylara is offline
The hidden treasure
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 19901
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Posts: 19,012
Kallev LittletonDon't if you try this it will cause me to explode, then everyone dies... she cried out as Kallev's body begins to prestidigitation - 1 ft of her clothing begins to smolder, smell and looks to get sooted by flames.slowly burst into flames and the stench of burning flesh begins to emanate from her. Then thanks to the blood all over her, making her slippery and slimy, she easily worked her way free from the men that attempted to grab and pin her.

Her body then flight hex to levitate (including a few people that might be trying to hang on - as she's levitating herself up, its up to them to decide if they want to go up too, shes not targeting or forcing them floated upward to the ceiling, out of reach of the commoners for the moment.

 

Last edited by kaylara; 02-29-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 03-03-2020, 03:34 PM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 17273
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 21,109
SanatariumAurelius strives to contain his elation to see the tissues finally responding to his formulas. But, to see the tissues responding so quickly, Dr. Aylmer stares on in wonder. He jots down in his own formula book the precise chemical variant that worked so effectively. Hovering over the growing body, he exacts a surgeon's precision with scalpel and syringe to prune the extending members. After hours of labor, Aurelius steps back and wipes sweat from his brow. Yana's form lies whole as before, better actually since it was not dotted with innumerable stitches. The more inhuman elements, such as wings and claws, stubbornly set in without his coaxing. Aurelius cautiously avoided trimming these to avoid too much disturbance of the nigh magical regrowth process. Also, too many physical variations make it easier for alternate animating spirits to become involved.

Glancing back, Aurelius' relieved elation is cooled as if in an icy stream. He sighs with suddenly realized weariness. "This sort of tissue regrowth was a side discovery from working on her. On such a scale, it was merely theoretical until now. Truly extraordinary." He looks back more soberly. "But I take it that physical regeneration on this scale is not so unfamiliar to you, Dr. Mendela," he states more than asks.

Aurelius stares back at the still form of Yana and is filled with a still more sobering reminder. "You're right. All this was merely a prerequisite for my real work, reuniting that spark with this frame." Dr. Aylmer rubs his tired eyes. "Eh, what hour is it? Evening already?" He carefully wipes his spectacles. "I find myself much in the same position before the inquisitors descended upon us, Yana lifeless and myself unsure why my prior procedures unsuccessful. Hopefully, further tests and brainstorming on the morrow will yield some fruit." Dr. Aylmer takes an extra undifferentiated tissue he sliced. He carefully stows it in a dish in his alchemical kit alongside some extra blood samples. "I do not look fondly on the possibility that her animating spirit is being prevented from returning by something, mayhap the forest specters who slew her."

Clipping the kit's cover closed, the good doctor is reluctant to draw away but remarks, "Aye, if your assistants can keep everything stable, it would be best to retire for tonight and redouble tomorrow, Dr. Mendela." His neglected stomach decides to voice its protest. Aurelius smiles in embarrassment.

 
__________________
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"

Last edited by dbaque; 03-03-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 03-04-2020, 04:12 PM
WhiteStag's Avatar
WhiteStag WhiteStag is offline
All the world's a Stage..
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Posts: 2,953
left-aligned image
Don't you DARE chastise me, you demon voice in my head!! Jonathan rises to his feet once more with aggravated conviction. COWARD!?!-- You scorn me a Coward!?! He speaks outwardly, Wildly, to himself in the cold cell, disregarding the sentry guards completely. YOOOUU are the one responsible! YOOU are the cause of my mutilation! My deformity! My uncontrollable transformations into this beast, THIS MONSTER OF HORNS AND TALONS!! COWARD!?!-- I am no coward. A coward would have ended his life much earlier when he was an orphan from childhood, disregarded, unloved, as I ultimately accepted and pushed through.

A coward would of ended his life when he slain those bandits senselessly, wrongly, unwarrantedly in the streets, when they only stole bread. But I continued and accepted...

A coward would of silenced his life when he was beaten and bloodied for his noble convictions of truth and justice, in the midst of corruption, dishonesty and greed from those that looked down upon me in contempt and worthlessness for my virtuous ideals.

A coward would have gone mad with fury, killed all in sight, rended everyone's' eyes out that witnessed the stealing, the abduction of my POOR AND INNOCENT WIFE-- WHOM HAD NO WRONG DOING NOR DECEPTION!! Only to black male me, to hijack my life, to force me to do their nefarious bidding, to be the hand of their vile agendas!!

... A coward would have slain himself after being held in contempt under the grand tribunal, locked in a thieve's cell, thrown into a sanatorium as a specimen to be operated on, and studied for his maladies, his mutilations-- like a caged animal to be eventually cast aside as exhausted and spent for all his worth...


The fractured man has his great fingers gripping his own skull in fury, in frustration, meaning to squeeze out the juice from his own brain, to crush his skull in madness, to rid his mind of this evil torment. Gargoyle talons then begin to sprout and dig into his flesh mercilessly...

To no avail, he finally breaks down, and falls to his knees in exhaustion, Don't you lecture me on perseverance under hardship you demon in my mind that toys with me, that drips senses of comfort and paternity, and now batters me with scorns of cowardice.

If you want my allegiance, if you want my cooperation, you must prove me your worth. Help me to break from this facility, then I will entertain your words, your guidance, as something to be considered in my courses of action.

Demon, Angel, whatever you may be, as you claim yourself, "To be Me" ... Show me proof that you are indeed aligned with me, then I will cooperate with you as stated. Break us out of here... Along with Aurelius and the poor lady, Kallev... Show your power, Great Voice ... Unveil your worth...

 
__________________
"All that is gold does not glitter/not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither/deep roots are not reached by the Frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken/a light in the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken/the crownless again shall be King."

Last edited by WhiteStag; 03-04-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 03-11-2020, 01:01 AM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 29424
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 10,879
Transitions
Kallev in a loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallev
"Don't if you try this it will cause me to explode, then everyone dies..."
right-aligned image
Both a combination of her threat accompanied by the smell of something smoldering and smoking emanation that arose from Kallev seemed sufficient to cause those men that were grappling her to release her and back away warily as they waited to see what happened next. Several of the crowd had begun to flee and crowded the only entry points in or out of the room area and those that could began to move back down the hallway to the rooms in the interior of the inn to distance themselves from Kallev. Several of the men that remain grabbed lamps and other objects to use as improvised weapons to defend themselves. Some of them even drew daggers and knives that had been for personal defense from their belts as they made ready to defend themselves. For the moment, the fear of what Kallev could be kept them at bay, but what she said and did in the next moments could change that...

Kallev found herself prone and as she made her way to stand, she painted a macabre sight as she was covered in blood, smoldering with magical smoke, and slight scent of something burning rolling off of her. In front of her was the murdered man in whose blood she was covered in and the murder weapon laying not more than a foot away where it had fallen from her hand. Kallev, perhaps did not notice, but her eyes were wild... tired... like those of a person who has not slept well in a very long time. Her eyes fell to the book... the accursed red book that had been plaguing her in front of her where it had fallen and laid next to the murdered man's hand.

The tense standoff continued as the men faced her while in the backdrop those who could were fighting one another to escape through the doors. Those that faced her seemed on the verge of charging her or fleeing themselves as they seemed to be debating the merits of swarming Kallev or turning their back to her to flee.

OODMFor the sake of the narrative, I permitted this application of prestidigitation as an exception. Both of these effects go well beyond the intended scope and power described in the Core Rule book as clearly they replicate the effects of higher level illusionary spells. Just be aware of this in the future and while it can clean and color an object it cannot produce actual effects to the degree described. Additionally, this cantrip had a somatic component as well that the grappled condition Kallev had would have prevented.




Sanitarium - Aurelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
"This sort of tissue regrowth was a side discovery from working on her. On such a scale, it was merely theoretical until now. Truly extraordinary." He looks back more soberly. "But I take it that physical regeneration on this scale is not so unfamiliar to you, Dr. Mendela,"
"It is not unfamiliar to me." Doctor Mendela says with flatly and in a matter of fact tone. "Relative to the creation of the animating force, the creation of the physical vessel pales in comparison."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
"You're right. All this was merely a prerequisite for my real work, reuniting that spark with this frame." Dr. Aylmer rubs his tired eyes. "Eh, what hour is it? Evening already? I find myself much in the same position before the inquisitors descended upon us, Yana lifeless and myself unsure why my prior procedures unsuccessful. Hopefully, further tests and brainstorming on the morrow will yield some fruit. I do not look fondly on the possibility that her animating spirit is being prevented from returning by something, mayhap the forest specters who slew her."
"I, too, also hope that your labor will yield some fruit on the morrow." Doctor Mendela said as he stared at the near perfect copy of Yana's body in the tub. "Perhaps what you may be missing, Doctor Alymer, is that you work to recapture something that may already be gone when you should be focused on creating it anew."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
"Aye, if your assistants can keep everything stable, it would be best to retire for tonight and redouble tomorrow, Dr. Mendela."
"All shall be as you left it, Doctor Alymer. " Doctor Mendela says in his deadpan voice as he hears the protest from Aurelius's much neglected stomach. "My orderlies will see to your needs and to your room. I, too, shall return tomorrow with high expectation... and pray that we are not disappointed again."

The orderlies take Aurelius to his room, where he finds a rather delicious smelling roast chicken with a side of fresh fruit and bottle of what appears to be very well aged white wine. Aurelius sates his protesting stomach and then lays down to a dreamless sleep. Aurelius awoke feeling partially refreshed. Awaiting him on the table was a bowl of yogurt, bread, fruits, and various preserves along with a rather delightful smelling pot of tea. After taking his fill of the food that was laid out for him, Aurelius hurried gathered his things and headed back to the lab, eager to continue his work.

As he arrived in the lab, Aurelius noticed that Doctor Mendela was not yet there yet and that he was for all intents and purposes was alone in the lab. As Doctor Mendela had promised, all was as Aurelius had left, down to the last instrument, as if the scene had been frozen in time. Perhaps Doctor Mendela did not want to inadvertently disrupt what work Aurelius had been doing. Regardless, Aurelius proceeded to get himself ready for his work and he stood and looked upon Yana. A feeling of grim determination welled up in the center of his chest. He would find the answer to this riddle... he must...

"Aurelius."

It was a whisper... a familiar one... an unmistakable one. Georgiana.

Aurelius looked around desperately for the source of the voice, but could find none. Had he been pushing himself too hard? Was this the work of a fevered and fatigued mind? That would be no good... Aurelius would need all of his faculties to surmount what was to come next.

"Aurelius."

It was unmistakable... it was her voice. Georgiana's voice. Aurelius cursed aloud to the specters that dared to torment with the voice of his deceased wife as he looked up and around the lab for the source of his torment. Suddenly, Aurelius felt something grab his arm.

"Aurelius! Aurelius... why? Why did you do this to me?! Let me go!" Yana screamed in Georgiana's voice as she sat up from the vat of fluids that she was growing in as she pulled his arm and him towards her screaming into his face in pain and agony. "FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD... LET ME GO!!!"

Aurelius saw into her now opened eyes and he saw the eyes that he had stared into with so much love for so many years that they were burned into his mind's eye. Aurelius saw his wife's eyes... Georgiana's eyes... even as she screamed at him in pure anguish... over and over again.

Aurelius awoke with a start and a shout of denial. He was in his bed in the room that Doctor Mendela had provided for him. The table still had the remnants of his dinner, but had also been supplemented with what he supposed was his breakfast of bread, cheeses, fruit, and pot of hot tea. He looked around... had it been a dream? Yet it seemed so real and the screams... Georgiana's screams still rang clearly in his ears. Shaken, but determined, Aurelius readies himself and heads to the lab anxiously. When he arrives, Doctor Mendela is already there along with several of the orderlies as he appears to be reviewing his noted and looking over the alchemical concoctions that Aurelius had created during his prior night's endeavor. However, nothing in his primary work space was touched and all was just as he had left it the day prior. The vat in which Yana's body lay was undisturbed and Yana herself laid motionless and her face still serene... just as he had left her. Still the visions... the experience echoed unwanted in his conscious mind.

OODM:Nuff said... Onward!




Sanitarium - Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
"COWARD!?!-- You scorn me a Coward!?! "He speaks outwardly, Wildly, to himself in the cold cell, disregarding the sentry guards completely. "YOOOUU are the one responsible! YOOU are the cause of my mutilation! My deformity! My uncontrollable transformations into this beast, THIS MONSTER OF HORNS AND TALONS!! COWARD!?!-- I am no coward. A coward would have ended his life much earlier when he was an orphan from childhood, disregarded, unloved, as I ultimately accepted and pushed through."
"You say you have accepted and pushed through...? How utterly deluded you are. You have accepted nothing. You think that this form is a "mutilation"... a "deformity"? I exist because you could not accept this is who and what you are... since you could not bring yourself to accept that simple undeniable truth. Yes, you are a coward. I do not scorn... I only speak the truth. A harsh truth... that I have had to bear for you, Jonathan." The voice says incredulously at Jonathan's ardent proclamation before deriding resentfully Jonathan's admonishment. "It is a coward that refuses to accept what he is... to live in denial of what he is. Do you think that you are one of "them"? You are not. No matter what airs you put on, no matter what traipses of civilization you see fit to adorn yourself with, no matter you do to fit in, to them you'll always be a freak... a monster... cast out and reviled at the first opportunity. Sure, they will begrudgingly give you scraps of acceptance when they need something from you, but as soon as they don't, they will cast you out again."

"Even this I have borne for you... suffered for you in your stead because you chose not to... to live with your delusions while you had me bear the harshness of reality. And now you have the audacity to deny your cowardice? That I must prove my worth... to you?" The voice laughs derisively before challenging Jonathan. "You want the truth, Jonathan? You want the truth? You can't handle the truth... but I offer it to you nonetheless, if you dare."





OODMOnward!

 

__________________
Posting Status: Possessed by the holiday spirits... Posting impacted. :)
DM:The Forsaken Plane: The Plane of Elder Evils
"The only way to do the impossible is to believe that they are possible."
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Xian; 03-11-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 03-12-2020, 03:36 PM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 17273
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 21,109
SanatariumWere he not so focused yet wearied, Aurelius might have gotten a worrisome impression of Dr. Mendela's talk of disappointment. A more perspicacious mind may pick out something concerning over the syntax and tone. But the generally oblivious physician pays the oddity no mind. Tired and hungry, he eats up and soon passes into sleep.


A second time Aurelius rises from his bed, or so it appears. A pale, haggard expression etches on his face. He pants in a shaken panic. His eyes cast around for sign to confirm this not another dream. His hands clutch at his face, and he pinches himself.

The panic passes as it becomes obvious that he is not still in a dream. However, the vivid vision clings from the dark recesses whence it came. He shakes his head vigorously. "It can't. She can't," he mutters to himself. He has not seen any evidence that dead souls are affected by alterations or even mutilation of bodies. His process could not bring Georgiana back to life. How could her spirit somehow be bound? It makes no logical sense. Why would her spirit be bewailing just now after so many months of Yana around? "It just can't be." Despite his own logical assurance and ratiocination, Aurelius' hands still tremble, and the echo of the screams reverberate in his mind.


Eaten and washed up, Dr. Aylmer returns to the lab. Only faint traces of the harrowing dream cling to his visage. When he looks on Yana's still form, he shakes a little and half-expects her to reach out to him again. Blessedly, nothing happens. Feeling less like a ghost is going to jump out at any moment, Aurelius regards the still body. Duty and resolve fill his being. There is nothing he can do for his late wife. There is only left to see if something remains more Yana. 'I shall right what I did to you.' If there is nothing to be done for her either ... he does not want to contemplate that yet.

After his reflective moment, Dr. Aylmer sets his alchemical kit on the table. "Good morn, Dr. Mendela," he offers cordially. He sets out his tools, vials, and notes. He spends some time in his familiar ritual of preparing some fresh new tonics. "I have a process for reviving the reinforced body. It obviously failed the last time before this arresting business. In this more clinical environment, I think to try it again and gather readings of where it goes awry. Mayhap, that will narrow our research down." Taking a syringe, he carefully draws several vials of blood. "The process requires a fair amount of the creator's blood." As he begins to exceed safe parameters, he concentrates, and Spontaneous healing discovery - fast healing 5, 35 hp worth for the dayinternal blood stores are released to refresh what he lost. A few tall glasses of water later, Dr. Aylmer is feeling much better.

He bids to gather a variety of reagents. Preparing the body, Dr. Aylmer presses several tubes and vials against various key areas all over Yana's body. Sensitive reagents sit at the end of each of the tubes to mark the progress of his alchemical procedure. Tools and concoctions laid out, Aurelius downs a Crafter's Fortune & True Skillpair of extracts to focus his mind. Steeling his resolve, Dr. Aylmer
Dice Craft (alchemy) plus Crafter Fortune and True Skill:
d20+25+5+3 (10)+25+5+3 Total = 43
gets to work applying the alchemical treatments along with steady injections of blood. It is difficult to work so carefully and diligently when the odds of success so poor, even more so when he is checking back & forth from the various reagents. All the same, this is the only way to uncover what went wrong. An hour's work yields results of one sort or another.

As if seized with the peculiar madness of a man on a mission, Aurelius cleans up the instruments and reagents only to prepare them all anew for another test. Science requires repetition of experimentation. The scientist downs another pair of extracts and
Dice Craft (alchemy) plus Crafter Fortune and True Skill:
d20+25+5+3 (19)+25+5+3 Total = 52
sets again on the attempt. Another hour passes of his labors, working and monitoring both. Wearied from the second attempt, he makes a final check of the reagents and collects the data from the two attempts into his notes. Dr. Aylmer's dart behind his spectacles for a pattern behind the failures.

 
__________________
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"

Last edited by dbaque; 03-12-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 03-15-2020, 02:05 PM
kaylara's Avatar
kaylara kaylara is offline
The hidden treasure
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 19901
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Posts: 19,012
Kallev LittletonKallev breathed a slight relief as she was freed. It appeared their fear of magic was indeed very deep. If its one thing she's learned about primates is their number one motivation was fear. Quite sad actually, considering the intelligence they could have if well educated.

Looking to the doorway, she could easily blast a hole and kill all the ones in the way, allowing her to escape. But she did not want to harm these poor under-educated people if she could help it. Instead use hex: flight to fly - with her back up against the ceiling.she flew from the ground to the ceiling. What have you done! Ahhhh!!!! she screamed in a terrified voice, hoping to drive them all away.

 
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 03-22-2020, 02:15 PM
WhiteStag's Avatar
WhiteStag WhiteStag is offline
All the world's a Stage..
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Posts: 2,953
left-aligned image
Jonathan sits and absorbs these powerful words in the dark of his mind.

The voice speaks in retrospective insights that in fact, this voice, this presence, has been responsible for keeping Jonathan alive, keeping him strong, and keeping him... protected. Jonathan, brooding in a fetal position, considers these words strongly, for the first time...

The voice says that these biological outbreaks of scales and talons... are not mutilations... 'Well what could they be then...?'

The voice goes on to say that these transformations will not subside, but endure and grow further, that civilization may never accept him, that he will be an outcast always... To this Jonathan swallows hard and snorts through his nose to bolster his strength of acceptance.

The voice ultimately unveils that he will always be hunted, that he will always be cast out, that evil will want to procure him, to study him, to abduct him, and to gain his service...

To this, Jonathan bites down hard... Let them Come... ~*


He rises to his feet finally, draws in an enormous deep breath of revitalizing oxygen. He shakes loose his hands and body as though preparing to engage back into the world. Clearing his throat loudly, he now considers the types of confrontations he may face in these coming days. With a gristled face of "Bring It", he lies down on to the operating table like a normal person preparing to sleep as was provided for him.

He has decided...
The voice is satisfactory. Jonathan begins to close his eyes with acceptance, to rest and to be prepared for his coming future.

'I accept your words, Great Voice inside my Mind. I accept my past. I accept my decisions that I have made... I accept this coming dawn.'

With finality he presents, 'No matter what I am, no matter what I've done... I will continue to push forward. I will learn to wield these powers that I have, as heinous as they may be. I will use them to my advantage, I will bend them to perform acts of Good and Services in the Name of Righteousness and of Justice.'

'Evil will not continue to grow. Evil will not take root further.
Evil will be systematically crushed under the weight of my Golden Heart, and rended apart by means of my sprouting claws.'


'If you are true, Voice in my Mind, than we shall work together, and I will be open to your teachings on greater ways to use my powers to better this world to come, for the following generations to profit rightly, and to live honestly and happily.'

'I give you my decree, my acceptance ... and so it is.'

Jonathan closes his eyes and surrenders now to the deep sleep that hopefully ensues and carries him away to the dawn of the next day...

 
__________________
"All that is gold does not glitter/not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither/deep roots are not reached by the Frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken/a light in the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken/the crownless again shall be King."

Last edited by WhiteStag; 03-25-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 04-01-2020, 02:44 AM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 29424
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 10,879
Transitions
Kallev in a loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallev
Instead she flew from the ground to the ceiling.

"What have you done! Ahhhh!!!!" she screamed in a terrified voice, hoping to drive them all away.
right-aligned image
"Black Gods!" Some of the men closest to Kallev shouts as she rises from the ground to the ceiling and screaming at the top of her lungs. She was indeed a terrifying sight to behold and even more so to these people with whom the closest they had come such a thing was in a book or an outlandish tale meant to frighten children into obedience. Now before them was the stuff they had only glimpse at in nightmares. "The wretched girl has been possessed by demons for sure... may the gods have pity on her soul!"

"Where are the Inquisitors?! This is work for them... not for the likes of us!"

"RUN!! FLEE!"

The fear that Kallev caused was palpable as the people sought escape out of any available doorway at any cost... trampling one another regardless of age or gender. In the bedlam that ensued, several of the women in vain shielded their children in vain as the fear induced panicked mob trampled them, heedless of what was in their path. The crazed mob for the most part was now only focusing on escaping with Kallev voice of feigned terror only serving to whip them into an even higher state of frenzy. Ironically, their frenzied efforts only slowed or made escape for the people impossible as they fought one another to get out of the room and jamming the doorways so that it virtually impassable. The broken of bodies of men, women, children, and the elderly, the casualties of Kallev's induced terror, laid strewn over the floor in the wake of this panic and their piteous cries added to the cacophony of chaos in the room.

A few of the more courageous men stood their ground and made ready their makeshift weapons to fight and perhaps buy their fellows the time and opportunity to escape, though this seemed more of matter of circumstance and necessity than any sense of altruism.

OODMOnward!




Sanitarium - Aurelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
"Good morn, Dr. Mendela," he offers cordially. He sets out his tools, vials, and notes. He spends some time in his familiar ritual of preparing some fresh new tonics. "I have a process for reviving the reinforced body. It obviously failed the last time before this arresting business. In this more clinical environment, I think to try it again and gather readings of where it goes awry. Mayhap, that will narrow our research down." Taking a syringe, he carefully draws several vials of blood. "The process requires a fair amount of the creator's blood."
"Good Morn, Doctor. I hope that you had sufficient rest to recover your faculties... I trust that the repast that my servants left you was satisfactory." Doctor Mendela said as he was reviewing his notes and looking over the various implements and reading from devices as he finished his inspection of the regeneration cradle. He nods at Aurelius later comments in terms of scientifically identifying the cause of the process' apparent failure. "I hope that you will find the means to a breakthrough for this most vexing of... stalemates."

Nodding in what appeared to be approval, Mendela motioned for Aurelius to begin his work and observed as Aurelius went methodically through his processes and methods to figure out the missing link. Hours passed without notice as Aurelius poured himself into his work driven like only man with such an over-riding purpose could be. Aurelius explored every known and even some novel methods and hypotheses that he could think of and test. The calculations were flawless as he ensured that even the most basic equations were checked and checked again in his examination. Even Doctor Mendela examined and checked Aurelius' equations and could find no mathematical or logical flaw. Every condition he could think of was replicated to maximum extent possible. Yet all of his meticulous hard work lead to the the inevitable conclusion... it should have worked. There was no flaw in the process he could identify... the principles were sound. Yet in defiance of that, Yana remained in the nutrient tub unmoving and still. Physically, everything was functioning... she was "alive". Yet the vital essence that animated her and made Yana Yana was demonstrably absent.

Doctor Mendela also frowned as the results of their collective research, experimentation, and work resulted in no further progress. From the look on Mendela's face, he has been here before.

OODM:Nuff said... Onward!




Sanitarium - Jonathan"If you are true, Voice in my Mind, than we shall work together, and I will be open to your teachings on greater ways to use my powers to better this world to come, for the following generations to profit rightly, and to live honestly and happily.'

'I give you my decree, my acceptance ... and so it is."


"Must you be so melodramatic...? Don't talk like one of "them"... like I said you are not... one of "them" even if you like to be." The voice says . "I am not the voice of the Golden Deity that you seek... As I have said, I am you or perhaps more accurate, the part of you that cleaved off from you to spare yourself the burden that you could not bear to know. So the posturing and grand words have no place because you are in essence speaking only to yourself... as it were I know your mind because I am your mind.
But enough of talk... sleep, Jonathan... sleep."


***

Jonathan awakens with a start. Fully expecting to be in the observation room of the sanitarium, he instead is in the dark in what looks to be a tunnel... or a sewer judging by the smell. The darkness of the subterranean tunnel system is easily pierced by Jonathan's darkvision as he looked around. He sees no other soul, but his clothes are in tatters, the coppery smell and taste of blood in his mouth and on his body are obvious. He has evidence of injuries on his body, but they appear to be superficial at this time.

Jonathan feels disoriented as he has no sense of time or direction. All of the ways in the tunnel he finds himself seem identical... where was he? Jonathan gains more awareness, he finds the voice oddly silent and he himself with a very painful headache, which in no way helps him think about the situation any clearer.





OODMOnward!

 

__________________
Posting Status: Possessed by the holiday spirits... Posting impacted. :)
DM:The Forsaken Plane: The Plane of Elder Evils
"The only way to do the impossible is to believe that they are possible."
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM
WhiteStag's Avatar
WhiteStag WhiteStag is offline
All the world's a Stage..
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Posts: 2,953
left-aligned image

'More B*******. More absolute B*******, I find myself in…'

The stink that infects his nose is wildly abusive. The air is horribly putrid. Blood runs down his arms and into his eyes casually. But no real emergency other than these tolerable nuisances at the moment.

Rah!-- Now what!? NOW WHAT!? What is this S*** I find myself in?! Rawncer stands upright in this terrible system of tunnels and speaks to himself aloud with no recourse as to whom may be listening… if any.

His head is throbbing, peculiarly… interestingly
"The Voice" is silent… He utters, ...good riddens.

His clothes are in tatters strangely and the sludge running past his boots are beginning to soak in.

RAAAAAAAAAHHH!!-- his roar echoes continuously, bouncing off of the slimy walls in all directions, making loads of noise throughout… but Rawncer doesn't care. He cares not for any need of silence nor stealth in this new test he finds himself in.

Frankly he's at his wits' end. One crazy, tormenting occurence after another. Will he find his friends again? He doesn't know, nor does he even care. Well not truly, but he begins to contemplate lying down in the sewage and just waiting for a solution to present itself…

actions
Dice percep check to spot/smell any clues of directions or points of interest:
1d20+7 (5)+7 Total = 12

 
__________________
"All that is gold does not glitter/not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither/deep roots are not reached by the Frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken/a light in the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken/the crownless again shall be King."

Last edited by WhiteStag; 04-07-2020 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM
kaylara's Avatar
kaylara kaylara is offline
The hidden treasure
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 19901
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Posts: 19,012
Kallev LittletonKallev was flabbergasted at the peoples response to her actions, were they really that ill informed, does the queen not help educate them? Questions like that ran thru her mind for a brief moment. Didn't anyone ever teach you not to panic and to escape a fire or situation calmly and orderly to prevent innocent people from being hurt. Look at what you're doing to those poor women and children! she shook her head as she vanished from Dimension Doorinside and appeared 500ft south of where she was.

 

Last edited by kaylara; 04-06-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 04-07-2020, 01:19 AM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 17273
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 21,109
SanatariumThe alchemist's unwavering scrutiny would seem exhausting for any onlookers. Furious is the scribbling in his notes. Double and triple does he check every one of his instruments. His calculations are not even a drop off. He attends with a focus that could only be born of love or obsession or both.

Dr. Aylmer writes down the last reading from his reagents. Another calculation is scribbled, and his sharp eyes compare it over against a page of other like ones. The constant stream of single minded intensity is finally interrupted with an impotent fist slammed upon the table. "Normal! Everything is normal!" Aurelius sets his spectacles on the table, and he braces himself against it.

He lets out a bone weary breath, as if he could concentrate the entire day's fruitless exhaustion into a single gust of air. "It shows me nothing. I concentrated the psychokinetic draw to its maximum, even more than strictly safe. But it did nothing. It revealed nothing," he concedes, his voice broken with despair. He hardly seems to notice Dr. Mendela nearby, speaking as much for himself as anyone. "I ... don't know what else to do. Her spirit will not or cannot come. For all my science, I am reaching out blindly now. It might lie seeking the spirit from a prison in that accursed wood. It might require dragging the spirit out from whatever passes for the realm of the dead. I don't know. I'm not some mystic or medium." The knuckles of his gloves turn white from his clenching fists. "Were I the slightest inclined to rouse a stranger in the frame of this creation, no other spirit could be accommodated; the alchemical lattice is too uniquely tailored." His whole frame shakes before his shoulders go slack. His voice grows so quiet. "But I am not in the least inclined. I'd rather bury my daughter like a grieving parent than fashion another."

 
__________________
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB