Game Thread Far and Wide - Page 12 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #166  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:59 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 688
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 1,522
Soskia had kept a straight but wary countenance, not quite glaring at Tambovsky, but almost. Soskia held up until Sylana called her a "Crone," and told her to buck up. At that Soskia blanches and sits back, hanging her head and shaking it without saying anything. Bauman had stopped crying and started chewing his fingernails while glancing back and forth between the others. In the silence, Sylana took a quick look around the dark room. It looked like an office or a Priest's writing chamber. Just behind her was a large oak desk. If the sun were shining and the shutters open, sitting in the plushly cushioned desk chair, she would have a view of the street and the fields beyond the wall. She glimpsed, she had to stand on tip toe, feathered quills, ink bottles, pieces of chalk in blue in blue and green, sheets of vellum, dried goat skin, and parchment. It all looked fairly new and there was very little dust. She also saw a bottle of sherry and four crystal glasses, all upside down, waiting to be used. Next to the sherry bottle was a pipe stand with a pipe and flint and tobacco.
I am a scrivener. I am not a witch,Soskia's voice interrupts Sylana's search. Soskia is looking at Tambovsky, staring him straight in the eye. I am not a witch,she repeats, I am scrivener. I worked in a library in Liege, copying, drawing, writing letters, not 'witching' people. I was conscripted, forced to join the Quarter masters to help in sums and supply and record keeping. A couple of nights ago, one of the nobles tried to undress me and show me his "spear." I grabbed a taper from the candle stand and lit his testicles on fire. That is why they call me a witch. I am not. I am not a witch. Soskia pauses when they all hear the horn across the river. Okay, I am in, I pledge this whatever, but it is not an oath. I don't make oaths or promises. Soskia holds her hand out for the others. Bauman smiles and puts his hand over Soskia's.
It is then they hear the jingle of harness. At least two riders are near, maybe three. Soskia and Bauman crouch down against the wall. Sylana can see the tops of two riders, just their helms. They are riding slowly up the street. They can all hear the sound of the voices, but they are too indistinct to make out what they men are saying. They can tell the men are not happy.

OOC-Is Sylana four feet, two inches tall or five feet two inches tall? Roll for perception or listen to try and hear the men more clearly.

Last edited by Rasgorn; 02-17-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 02-17-2020, 01:08 PM
LauraKell's Avatar
LauraKell LauraKell is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 326
LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell
Posts: 108
”Well I’m not a slipper or panty thief as it happens”, Sylana sighed, “and I’m not a ‘Slipper Lord’ either.”, she shot Tambovsky a quick look. ”I am just Sylana. Trained as a locksmith, thief for pleasure. I am no Lord or, um, more appropriately, lady.” With a smirk to Soskia she added ”And I am very glad I am no man with you around. Heating up his jewels is a new idea on me!“.

Sylana cut her own laugh short at the sound from outside. ”What was that?”

“Listen roll”
Dice Roll:
1d20+8 (3)+8 Total = 11

“ooc”Oops she is 4 feet 2. Pretty tall halfling. I will alter the sheet!
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 02-17-2020, 03:21 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 688
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 1,522
Possible, yes. Colors missed that the Sylana and Tambovsky are not in the Church, they are about half a block down from the Church. That street forms a T, with the Church at the middle of the crossbar, which is the end of that street. Just across from the street is an Whirling Gypsy Inn, it is abandoned right now, but well built and may have provisions. Sylana and Tambovsky are holed up in a brick and mortar building with all the street level doors barred and secured. Jol and party could reach the back of that building by using the alley and not be seen by the soldiers, unless the soldiers had reached the Church. I will be posting that up shortly.

Saya hugs, steadies herself and starts remembering more clearly what she had seen. There was the Church and the Church grounds, and a graveyard with something nasty and dangerous eating something. Half a block down the street from the Church was the white and red, brick and mortar building where she saw the three humans and halfling climb to the second floor and through a window. Just across the street was a well built Inn, "The Whirling Gypsy," Saya thinks from the sign hanging over the porch. At the far end of that street, away from the Church is where she saw the soldiers, slowly searching for the halfling. Saya was certain there were more than just three of them, but she hadn't waited to find out. The Church was at the end of the street, forming a T with the street.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 02-17-2020, 03:41 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,753
Sylana and Tambovsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKell View Post
”Well I’m not a slipper or panty thief as it happens”, Sylana sighed, “and I’m not a ‘Slipper Lord’ either.”, she shot Tambovsky a quick look. ”I am just Sylana. Trained as a locksmith, thief for pleasure. I am no Lord or, um, more appropriately, lady.”
Despite all the danger around them, Tambovsky is amused by this declaration. So be it, for me this halfling will be Sylana Wojowniczka (and perhaps it is better not to know her real name) ... but I have a theory, about the Slipper Thief and about this halfling as the Slipper Lord ...

As Sylana calls out "What was that?" Tambovsky reaches for the quills on the desk and passes one to each of the four souls gathered here, not a fighting unit ... but also neither entirely without bonds to one another.

He speaks softly as he approaches Soskia first: I will fight with you, scrivener. And it seems now, we will all fight with these, your instruments of power. They are no swords, but they are sharp. Aim true ... though I don't need to tell you that, do I?

He hands the next quill to Bauman with a nod, and then slips a quill to Sylana as he takes his place near the window, careful not to disturb the halfling's concentration.

Last edited by bananabadger; 02-19-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 02-17-2020, 05:43 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 500
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 606
Jol throws Father Keth a sympathetic look. He feels much the same way as the veteran Grey Friar. Just a few days ago, Jol was back at the Abbaye de Corbie, tending the aviary and sowing onions in the vegetable gardens. Little did he know then that in a few short days he would be on this hillside in the aftermath of a battle, desperately trying to treat his companions for poisoning before attempting to sneak into an apparently deserted town. The Creator works in ways Jol does not understand. But Jol does understand that this is all part of his penance. So he does not complain. But he knows how Father Keth feels.

"Help me with the wounded" he says to Keth and everyone still standing, as Saya returns and makes her report. "Hurry."

Urging assistance from those still standing, he does his best to wake Mattias and Doran and get them moving to the church, carrying and dragging them as best they can. There's no time to make stretchers. Time is of the essence.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 688
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 1,522
Jol and SayaFather Mattias looks rather pale and weak. He is sitting up making a splint for himself and he has found a broken spear shaft he can use that will enable him to walk. He sees Jol staring at him,Look after Doran, get him in the carriage, lay him across one of the benches. I'll hobble over there myself and get myself situated. I don'tMattias is looking at Saya and Patrick,they will make their own choices. Have Lady Danica ride on top, with the coachman, who should be Father Keth. Brother Selmo can ride inside with Brother Doran and I, or up on top in the luggage rack with you. I wouldn't have any ride the coachman's seat. Father Jol, tis a strange night. We have goblins casting magic and we have poisons, one a venom, the others toxin. I think we have more than one enemy. If they were not fighting us, they would fight each other, probably for the spoils of this town. I believe in the morning, we will find a few citizens emerge from root cellars or basements. At least I hope so. Mattias grunts a bit, lifting himself up to standing position. He hobbles over to the coach and climbs inside. Lady Danicea walks up to Jol, I don't know what to do. Why is Saya angry with me now? Is she angry with me? Ah Jol, what should I do? Can we find a place to bathe. I have all this orc blood on me and it is starting to stink and stain my surcoat. I need to have it washed and I need a bath. Danicea looks at Jol, determined, but bewildered.


Sylana and TambovskySylana only hears murmurings from below. Climbing out the window, she lets herself down onto the porch and scuttles closer to the edge. The men's voices become more distinct. She hears a rough, plaintive sounding voice,Are we even sure they came here? And, what is so important about this halfling anyway? Did she hide the Lord's honey? Sylana hears another man spit. His voice is rougher, more hoarse and lower and deeper sounding, Did you sign up as an Advocate or a soldier? I believe you signed on for soldiering, so stop with the questions and keep looking. We were ordered to find the halfling, we find the halfling.There is a moment of silence as the soldiers ride forward. She hears them stop, she hears the deeper sounding voice,Look at that, there's an Inn. I guess we will spend the night there.He snickers to his horse and Sylana sees both men ride away from lower porch of their building, crossing the street and moving to the corner, where the Inn sits. They are soon joined by four other men, also riding horses. Farther down the street, just coming into the town proper, she counts fifteen more men, all walking, all covered in muck and frost. Behind them she counts four more horseman, one wearing heavy plate and holding a large, flanged mace.
Inside, Tambovsky crouches with Bauman and Soskia. He was about to hand one of the quills to Sylana, when she slipped out the window. Tambovsky looks over the window sill and sees Sylana listening to the men below. He feels a tap on his arm. It is Soskia, she is holding a scramasax, handle extended to him,I bet you are better with this than I. We also have these, she pulls out two quarrels, but no crossbow and then a silver mirror and three onions before stopping. She holds up one of the packs they took and shakes it,I don't think there is much else in here of use. I think the other pack had a flint and tinder and a couple of flasks and some bacon, but I am not sure. Oh yea, we stuffed a couple of bedrolls as well.Soskai is now looking around the room,Do you think it wise for me to start looking around this room? I don't want make too much noise or expose myself to someone outside.


OOC-A scramasax is a Saxon fighting knife. They are considered some of the best fighting knives of the time. Larger versions exist, but are more like swords than knives. This scramasax does 1d4+1 points of damage.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 02-20-2020, 08:11 AM
LauraKell's Avatar
LauraKell LauraKell is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 326
LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell
Posts: 108
That’s annoying. Sylana thought pushing herself close to the ground of the porch. From here she could see more horses than she would like. There was an old halfling’s story that says horses are bad for thieves. The story told of a thief in an invisibility cloak who had tried to make off with a golden necklace of a noble lady who had stopped by a wayside to take a rest and the horse had seen the approaching thief and made such a scream that the noble lady woke up and caught the thief red handed. Or so Sylana remembered. It was meant to say that horses had really good eyesight but Sylana knew the real reason. Horses are much more sensitive to changes and can feel a halfling between their legs more than a human would. Humans were, generally, very bad at looking down. Horses got frightened easily and would be upset at any halfling rummaging about. They might blow my cover if I make a go for getting to the inn. Sylana thought as she listened in.

She knew that she had to tell the others and with a gentle pull got up to the window again. Without getting back in to the room, Sylana hissed at Tambovsky. They’re staying in the inn tonight. About 15 of them. And, Sylana paused, they’re looking for me.

Sounds like I’d be a perfect distraction if you wanted to make a run for it. They can’t chase both of us if they’re chasing me.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 02-20-2020, 12:07 PM
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-01-2020
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Posts: 1,025
Saya wordlessly adjusted her grip on Pat so that she could have one arm free, just in case. He wouldn't just fall asleep like this, not in such a dangerous situation, unless he really wasn't feeling well. All she had to do was somehow get a bunch of priests into town without them being spotted by the soldiers. Piece of cake. She shook her head when Father Keth asked about any banners that the men had. "I wasn't really concerned with who they were, more of just getting away without being seen." There were so many different banners after her that she had stopped caring about which one belonged to who. She would much rather worry about the people wanting her dead than what family they belonged to.

Things started falling apart quickly, it was clear that everyone was in a state of panic. They definitely weren't used to being hunted and they weren't thinking properly. Lady Danicea seemed more concerned with getting a bath than anything else, and Father Mattias was trying to get everyone into the carriage, which was the worst possible idea right now. "No, absolutely not, no carriage. That's the loudest most obvious thing we could possibly use. It'll give us away immediately. We have to go quietly. Carry the wounded, or support their weight, or whatever you need to do. But the carriage stays here."

Saya took a deep breath before continuing. "If you insist on using it, fine. But I won't be getting involved with it. You guys can get yourselves killed for all I care, but I won't let you drag me and Pat down with you. If you use the carriage, you can figure out how to get past the guards on your own." It was a harsh thing to say, but these priests needed a wake up call. Not everyone was friendly and respected them.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 02-20-2020, 06:43 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,753
Sylvana and Tambovsky (Bauman and Soskia)
Scrrmp. Scrrmp. Scrrmp.
Tambovsky looks down and notices that his hands are reflexively going through the motion of sharpening the scramasax. Even though he has no sharpening stone, instincts do not sleep. This routine action makes him feel as if he were back in familiar conditions. It allows Tambovsky to relax and reflect.
Battles are cleaner than this.
An enemy.
A shield wall.
A clash.
Some lose an arm, some an eyebrow, others a life.
That is simple. And honest.
This? Well, this ... is messy.

No warlord would want to be in this position. Outnumbered. Practically unarmed. No clear route to victory. Not even an objective, really. At Tambovsky's back, cowered an unsuccessful thief and a scribe with an attitude. Beside him stood another thief whose only defense is she isn't, at least, that other, more famous, thief.
Scrrmp. Scrrmp. Scrmmp.
But things could have been far worse. And his allies had proven themselves surprisingly resourceful.
Scrrmp. Scrrmp. Scrmmmmmmp.
Tambovsky's mind clears, and he reassesses the situation and the latest developments which were, he now realizes, promising.
Soskia, thank you for this weapon. I name it "Spearbreaker" in your honor, he whispers with a nod. Soldiers after a march will want food, drink and a bed. Once they enter that inn, they might post a guard but will not pursue us. Your instincts are right, please continue your search; the only precaution is not to make a fire whose light or smoke might betray our location. Bauman, please assist. And if you can, survey the area below us.
Foooomp.
Tambovsky slides the blade into its leather scabbard.
Wojowniczka, once more you have proven yourself fearless, but let us not sacrifice your life so easily. The soldiers have given us what we need most now--a few minutes to plan. Let us do that. First, please tell me more details about the leader of this group. What did he wear? Describe his face? Depending on who he is, we could have an ally. Or we might have a foe whose authority over his men is precarious. Knowing this, we can make our plan.
 

Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 02-21-2020, 11:53 AM
LauraKell's Avatar
LauraKell LauraKell is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 326
LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell
Posts: 108
Sylana pulled herself in to the room. Not much to tell really. By the looks of it there was a big looking guy with a huge stick on his side. It sort of looked a lot like a big pestle but metal. He was the one in big heavy armour. I’d guess he’d be the one in charge.

Sylana had gone a little red at Tambovsky’s compliment. She was a little ashamed to admit that the excitement of the chase had gotten to her and she had panicked some when the riders outside had said they were looking for her. He seemed much calmer though. Tambovsky appeared to Sylana as if he were a mostly quiet and easy going person. It was quite a change. Growing up Sylana had had to fight for attention and when she fell in with her various partners in crime they could be quite noisy and excitable. He was different and Sylana wasn’t sure if that was reassuring or scary to her.

I think we’re still going to have to go to the inn. Maybe if we give them a few hours to get settled in. Firstly we need food and drink and fresh water to clean up some of these cuts and bruises. Secondly, they are going to be staying there. We might be able to find out what they are up to. What do you think we should do?

Sylana’s eyes fixed in the blade in a Tambovsky’s hand. She hadn’t really seen much like it before and she contemplated her own dagger.

You work quick. Where’d you get that?
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 02-21-2020, 05:44 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 500
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 606
Brother Mattias is an ex-soldier, a veteran of the Marne. Jol usually takes his advice without thinking, even when he would have made a different choice. Mattias thinks like a soldier, and acts using the resources he's given. In a dangerous world, friars who know which end of a weapon is which and have a military background keep their brethren safe.

Jol came from a different world, and although he finally saw it for what it was - and what it had turned him into - some of that world will always remain with him. And, although he can't explain it, he knows that there is something terribly wrong here. Grey Friars should be sacrosanct; the soldiers in the town - assuming they are soldiers - should provide protection, not danger. In all lands, friars of the Church walk freely. Across all kingdoms of the Western World, this is the law. It is a grave offence to assault a Grey Friar, akin to heresy.

But Jol knows better than most that not everything in the Church of the West is sacrosanct. And he knows something about heresy, too. There is danger here, he knows it. And not just from the orcs out here.

Saya simply voices his thoughts.

"Saya is right. No carriage" he states with a firm authority he wasn't aware he possessed. "To the church. Now. No arguments. There is no time to lose. Brother Selmo, assist me with Brother Doran. Father Keth, assist Brother Mattias. Lady Danicea, please fetch as many of the boxes as you can from the carriage. We must also keep them safe if we can. We can return for the rest tomorrow."

The problem, of course, is that when the soldiers find the carriage, complete with horses, it will be pretty obvious that it recently had occupants. And the most logical place for those occupants to be is the town, given there is nothing else around here except for orc and goblin corpses, and orcs and goblins tend not to ride around in carriages. But if the soldiers are indeed foes, riding directly into town in the carriage is a far worse idea than abandoning the carriage and hiding in the town for the night.

OOCI'm assuming here that the carriage is reasonably close by and it is possible to get there and get some or all of the books out before the soldiers show up. Also that the boxes, once shrunk, are not too heavy to carry with us. Jol will not ask this of Danicea if he thinks that is not the case, but will instead ask her to keep her eyes open and act as a guard as they head into the town]

Last edited by Gibbon; 02-21-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,753
This? Tambovsky pulls out the blade once more, taking pleasure in how balanced it feels in his hand. A gift from our scribe, who--it would appear--has a secret talent as a quartermaster.

Soskia pipes up, I gave it to him. I took it from one of the guards during our escape. I guess that makes me a thief too, but not a witch. She then continues, maybe if we wait for them to eat and drink a bit, they will fall asleep and we can slit their throats and run. After we loot them that is. And have some pie, if we can find any.

His mood noticeably lightened, despite (or maybe even lifted by, he wasn't sure) Soskia's interruption, Tambovsky leans toward Sylana (and now Bauman who has crept toward them, apparently frightened by Soskia's zeal) so they can hold counsel without their voices carrying over the rooftops.

So, I don't know what our best path is, wojowniczka, but I do know this. In addition to this blade and the provisions Soskia and Bauman have found, we also have your information. Gremmin is poor commander and my comrades might be willing to turn against a leader we all detested, but we know something even more important. Think of this ... I am called a deserter, and there is nothing worse for a soldier to be. I should be detested and hunted down. Our Bauman here, he is accused of robbing from a priest. The church hates this, not only because it is theft, but mainly because if everyone started wondering why their children starve while the priests walk around with large bellies and rosy cheeks, then the round priests would face real tribulations on Earth. Bauman, the church would say, is a danger to the holy orders and should be detested and hunted down. Soskia here had the courage not only to challenge her lord, but to challenge him in a way that would send electric jolts of pain through every lecherous manor-king who hears the tale. She, in the minds of the rulers, should be detested and hunted down. But do the soldiers talk of this? Are they hunting us? No ... they are hunting only one creature. They are told to bring back this diminutive rogue. Of all of us who have threatened to destroy their idea of order and rule, you are the only one who seems to them a real threat.

Scccct. Scccct.
Tambovsky looks down to see that he has become a bit carried away, slicing the knife in the air.

Sorry. I just am enticed by what a powerful weapon you are able to forge of yourself. Wojowniczka, from the very beginning I did not think were the Slipper Thief, though a thief you might be. And it isn't because I had immediate trust in you before you proved it. But it is because I think there simply is no Slipper Thief. I know a bit about the rich from my time with my brothers as blacksmiths. And this I do know about the rich--they are not like us because they have many slippers and garments, and they always seem to be losing them in the beds and homes of other rich people. When those garments disappear, as they seem to do, it is to their advantage to blame a shadowy figure with a strange appetite for slippers. What could do they otherwise? Admit that their garments were left in some adventure in the inner sanctum of another lord or lady?

There is only silence, which worries Tambovsky until he checks that the knife is securely in its sheath. After pausing to see if his halfling-commander is still listening, he continues ...

So there is no Slipper Thief. But there could be. There could even be a Slipper Lord. You, wojowniczka, could pick up this legend like a jeweled dagger lying on the ground and brandish it under the fat noses of the corrupt lords. A slipper thief has come for their linens? Let a Slipper Lord take the coffers they plundered from the people. I would assist you in that. I first thought that I would stain my honor being with a thief; and I would if a petty thief you remained. But I think you don't want to be a petty thief. I think you tried that, and look where it got you. You have a fierce heart, Lord if You Choose, and you could thief for good ... for great stakes. All I ask is for you to contemplate this and tell me what you might choose after we escape this trap. For now ... well, for now, here are my thoughts on what we do for the night...Tell me what you want to hear first.

 


 


 


 


 

Last edited by bananabadger; 02-23-2020 at 01:10 PM. Reason: edited to avoid narrative conflicts with post #178
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:14 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 688
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 1,522
Saya's sharp words startle everyone, except Pat, who is unconscious and now drooling down Saya's chest. Father Keth snaps to attention, Saya's words sharpening the old soldier, recalling him. Mattias sits up and looks around, blinking rapidly for a moment, then crawls out of the carriage as quickly as he can. Even Lady Danicea seems cowed and offers no argument or resistance, and for once, doing simply as she is told.
It takes them little time to 'open' Danicea's chests, stuff them with all they can, then close and shrink them again.
Mattias insists on walking himself, leaving Father Keth to help with Brother Doran. Brother Selmo then offers to carry Pat,Saya, I can carry Pat, that will leave you free to move about and scout and whatever else...Brother Selmo leaves that unsaid, but everyone knows he is talking about fighting and killing. Brother Selmo is not squeamish, not in the least, but like Jol, he honors his vows.
Once assembled, the party moves down the street, Saya in the lead, Mattias bringing up the rear. Mattias is swing a cudgel he has fashioned from a broken hoe handle he found in the rubbage. Unlike Jol and Selmo, Mattias has taken no vow to preserve life. Saya's words seem to have woken something in him. Mattias is more alert and ready than Jol has seen him before. This Mattias is more like the stories Jol had heard of him from the Marne, than the one Jol has gotten to know.
They creep down the street. When they see the Church grounds and then the Inn, Father Keth holds up and smiles, Saya, wait. I know where we are now. This town, is Blaud Hill, or Blauden Hills, depending on who you ask. I remember it as a prosperous place. I visited often as a soldier. The town had,Father Keth stops for a moment, looks at Danicea and then Saya and kind of blushes before continuing,Entertainment, soldier's entertainment. It was kind of known for that. Father Keth points at the church, That is Saint Donvar's. He is local saint of the area. He was a shepherd or something like that. It was quite a nice chapel once. We often said prayers there and confessed our sins. Father Keth stops speaking. They can all see a figure shamble up from a cellar next to the Chapel. Saya can see it better than the rest. It looks like a plague victim, skin stretched and mottled, almost hairless, yet it has a mouthful of teeth. Saya moves forward, watching the thing as it joined by two others, also plague victims, skin taut and gaunt, clothes hanging loose and full of holes. When she is sixty feet from them, her tattoo tingles, warning her, they are not living, they are undead.
Jol gets an evil sense from them too. He can't see as clearly as Saya, but they walk like their bones are crooked or broken. Although they shamble, they move quicker than any leper or plague victim Jol has ever seen. Father Keth takes in a deep breath,We should go this way, down this alley to the Chancellery. I spent a few days there too, when I was a soldier that is,he says rather sheepishly.
They can see the three undead staring down the street and watching the Inn. A flicker of light brightens the front room of the Inn as a man lights a candle. He is wearing a red surcoat with a lion blazoned across his chest. That sight causes Saya to suck in a breath. Father Keth leads them down the alley to the red and white brick building Saya had seen earlier. Mattias looks up, I think you are right Father Keth, this is Blaud Hill. I served here as clerk to a priest of St. Cutberth. He was a right, just man he was. He has since passed, probably buried in the Church yard with proper rites. He used to keep a key hidden on the second floor balcony under a top brick in a small garden he kept up there. Saya, Danicea, do you think either of you could climb up there and look around? We can try to doors down here while you do that. This chancellery is about as secure a building as we could hope to find. And, there is an Inn just up the street.

Tambovsky listens to Sylana's description and he has no doubts the man, the knighted man is Sir Vicar Gremmin, a Kargothian cleric and one time Crusader in the Levant. Sir Vicar Gremmin is a nasty man, a brutal warrior, and one of Sir Fane's close friends. When Sylana asks about the wicked looking blade Tambosky holds, Soskia pipes up,I gave it to him. I took it from one of the guards during our escape. I guess that makes me a thief too, but not a witch. She then continues,Maybe if we wait for them to eat and drink a bit, they will fall asleep and we can slit their throats and run. After we loot them that is. And have some pie, if we can find any. Bauman looks aghast at Soskia's suggestion of slitting throats and moves closer to Tambovsky and Sylana, clearly afraid of Soskia.
Ghoul! Arm up! Arm up! ghoulsthe cry tears through the night, followed by a screeching wail and cursing. Looking out the window, they can see three emaciated, human like creatures wrestling with some of the soldiers on the Inn's porch. One of the soldiers is on the ground, not even moving as one of the things bites into his shoulder and tears off a strip of flesh. One of the soldier's is holding his shield and backing up as another figure claws at him. Two other soldiers stab with spears at the third figure, keeping it away. A fourth soldier, standing behind them, backs into the Inn, not yelling or screaming or lifting his axe, which hangs loosely in his hand. Tambovsky recognizes that it is Rattick, one of the men who accused him of cowardice.

OOC-Jol and Saya can't see the fight on the porch, but they hear the yelling. All roll for perception or listen and spot, depending on what you want to do.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 500
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 606
Jol is glad to see Brother Mattias up, moving and alert. If it comes to dealing with the soldiers, which Jol hopes will not be the case, they will need his experience. But his sense of foreboding becomes stronger as they reach the town. There is an evil here. He can sense it. And then, as Father Keth abruptly stops speaking, he sees it, and his suspicion is confirmed. The vile figure that appears out of the gloom near the chapel is an abomination, a horrific mockery of the human it had once been. Jol stares at the walking corpse in disgust.

He also sees the man in the inn, as he lights a candle. Jol does not recognise the livery, but it reveals him as either a knight or a soldier under the command of one. To be avoided, at least until they can be sure whether these men are friend or foe. And Jol's instincts are still telling him that these are not friends. Perhaps it is the darkness, the evil he senses here, or just his paranoia, but for now he is sure that it is safer to avoid them, spend the night in the chancellery and hope that the soldiers leave quickly.

"Not the inn" he whispers to the others. "The soldiers may search it. If we cannot get into the chancellery, we will find another house nearby."

He tries the door to the chancellery, just to check that it is indeed locked. Then he hears the shouting. Now it is even more urgent that they get off the street and into one of these buildings, even though a large part of him wants to go and assist the soldiers in the fight. But doing so would give his companions away, and put them at risk.

"We should be assisting in the destruction of those abominations" he mutters to Mattias. "But we do not know who these soldiers are. We may destroy one evil to find ourselves at the mercy of another. Did you see that knight's livery, the lion on red? Do you recognise it?"

OOC and rolls
Dice Listen:
1d20+3 (13)+3 Total = 16

Dice Spot:
1d20+4 (17)+4 Total = 21

Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:51 AM
LauraKell's Avatar
LauraKell LauraKell is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 326
LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell LauraKell
Posts: 108
Sylana considered Tambovsky’s words. Oh no, she thought, he’s an idealist. Sounds like a quick way to get ourselves killed.. On the other hand it was a dangerous and exciting idea. Sylana had never robbed because she had to, only because she wanted to. Here was a chance to really get a sense of excitement. She didn’t have the high morals that the soldier did but something about the idea definitely appealed to Sylana’s sense of adventure. Stealing armour would definitely help her new companion as well, maybe even that tricky weapon that the large man on the horse had. Other than the issue of how she would carry such a load it was a fun idea. And if she was going to swing from a rope it wasn’t a bad company to be in.

Let’s do it. Let’s sneak into the inn in a few hours, grab ourselves that big fella’s armour and anything else we can grab and then make a run for it. You’d probably look pretty good in the steel and on a horse. You know how to hold yourself so in the dark you might even pass for him. Maybe, she cast a glance sideways to Soskia, without the slitting throats. It won’t help us anyway and it’s too risky.

Sylana considered their next moves and Soskia’s remark about her find. You say it makes you a thief as if that were a bad thing. Sylana laughed under her breath. Not a bad start but the night is still young.

So what do you say Captain Tam? Shall we go get you some gear that’s just lying around in someone’s inn room?Sylana still wasn’t sure what exactly a wojowniczka was but perhaps now wasn’t the time to ask. Besides it might be less than nice and it wouldn’t help her concentration if she was annoyed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB