Game Thread Chapter 1: Into the Borderlands - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Keep on the Borderlands
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Syldanis's Avatar
Syldanis Syldanis is offline
Semi-aloof Ranger
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 181
Syldanis Syldanis
Posts: 104
Syldanis
right-aligned image

Syldanis pulls another black feathered arrow from his quiver right after the first and aimed at the orc's heart, over Badger's head. He pulled his bow back to a full draw then loosed the arrow... his eye followed the arrow all the way to it's target, wanting to see the orc take the blow. "One less of your kind makes the world a better place" he growled softly toward the orc, an intense look on his face


Mechanics & Statblock

 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Character: Syldanis Blackfeather
_____________________________________
Little by little, one travels far ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Syldanis; 01-01-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
More or Less Gorm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 3897
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 2,496
Fletch
right-aligned image
From his vantage above Fletch chose his next target. The far goblin was the most likely to escape capture should they break and could be seen above the squealing pig.

Inhale, exhale, loose... draw, notch, pull... inhale, exhale, loose...

That was the way of an archer in battle; no pause except to aim. Arm extended with tense elbow joint and loose grip. Draw grip with fore and middle finger hooked. Eye over shaft. He watched his missile to the goblin's chest, snagging in its flesh and creating a burgeoning stain as the pain registered on its face under its half-helm. Two shots, two hits. Fletch was proud of his aim.
 

 

Last edited by Niyaga; 01-02-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-02-2020, 05:41 PM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is online now
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 2391
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 2,302
Skelmara
right-aligned image
The battle was well in their favor, and Skelmara planned to help keep it that way.

Hammer raised to the sky, she dashed forward and brought it cleanly down on the nearest goblinís skull with a sickening *CRACK*.
Rolls & Actions
 
Stat Block
 
__________________
Characters: Oloro "Watcher" Navali | Skelmara of the Iron Claw | Milo Dunnwood | Woodwind | Rin Mikuyo | Krei Belarus

I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-02-2020, 07:46 PM
Vathe's Avatar
Vathe Vathe is offline
Pesky Goblin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-01-2020
RPXP: 1357
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Posts: 642
Into the Borderlands: Hunting the Hunters
right-aligned image

From the hilltop eleven yards away came a second arrow from the elf's bow, Galanodel, which tore through the air and pierced the rudimentary furs of its orcish victim. Badger and Syldanis watched as the twice struck orc reached for the new arrow in its chest, its teeth grit with some impossible words. It stumbled backwards then fell upon the dry grass, dead. The orc's battle axe remained defiantly in its sheath.

Fletch watched a different scene. From his perch the halfling had a perfect view of the goblin in the back as it smiled evilly and begin taking quiet steps toward the curtain of the tall grass. It would abandon its cohort, the other khapul that was preparing to charge the approaching human, not seeing the trick.

Fletch's arrow caught the deceptive goblin in the chest, the cur letting loose a cry of primal fear as it died.

Its fellow hardly had the time to register that cry as its charge was met with the pummeling force of Skelmara's warhammer. Built up on its wild charge, it had no chance to dodge as the flat head slammed into its side and sent the goblin spiraling off to the left. It landed in the dirt, twitching. Skelmara knew well that the blow had shattered most of its ribs and crushed its organs. After a moment, it stopped twitching.

A soft gale blew over the valley, rustling the stalks of tall grass with a whir and swish. No new enemies showed themselves to the victorious adventurers. Their quarry had been defeated with nigh perfection. However, a niggling question probed the four. Syldanis had claimed that they were hunting a party of five. Where was the last one?

Looking about for a moment, perhaps in search of this missing enemy, Badger instead spotted a queer sight. In the battle, the boar that the goblins had been toying with had made its escape. Now it rested snout first in a patch of red field mushrooms, a near comedic sight, but it was odd that the frantic animal was now so sedate. Around it, a faint amber gas hung in the air.

The breeze brought a bit toward him and the halfling caught a spicy smell, like cinnamon. The small whiff made the tips of his fingers grow numb.



 


OOCEnd of Combat. With Skelmara's well placed blow, all nearby enemies have been vanquished. Our heroes' surprise attack went off without a hitch. However, Syldanis informed his fellows earlier that there should have been one more in this small coalition. Where did they go?

Rocky Cliff. If you want to be an action hero and jump from the Rocky Cliff before you, it is a 15 foot drop. Jumping from it would require a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw to avoid taking 1d6 bludgeoning damage from the fall.
Steep Embankment. The Embankment to the north is difficult terrain for any creature attempting to climb up it, but creatures going down are not affected. The embankment consists of the 2x7 range above you and that 2x1 wedge below the rocky cliff.
Tall Grass. The Tall Grass across the valley could reasonably conceal even a large creature if it lowered down.

Last edited by Vathe; 01-02-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is online now
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 2391
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 2,302
Skelmara
right-aligned image
Skelmara's breathing slowed, the battle having concluded. Slinging her weapon over her shoulder, the cleric grinned.

"Well done boys. Clean work indeed!" Moving forward, Skelmara began to relieve the corpses of their weapons and belongings. As she worked though, Syldanis' earlier words came to mind. Skelmara stopped in the middle of counting the orcs javelins and stood up, looking to the elf.

"Syldanis... you said there were five, correct? What of the last? Certainly wasn't with the others when we started our attack."
Rolls & Actions
 
Stat Block
 
__________________
Characters: Oloro "Watcher" Navali | Skelmara of the Iron Claw | Milo Dunnwood | Woodwind | Rin Mikuyo | Krei Belarus

I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-02-2020, 10:22 PM
Syldanis's Avatar
Syldanis Syldanis is offline
Semi-aloof Ranger
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 181
Syldanis Syldanis
Posts: 104
Syldanis
right-aligned image

Syldanis nodded affirmatively without looking at Skelmara, his eyes sweeping over the tall grass, searching for any indication of a hidden foe.


He Not that he would have missed the fifth set of footprints diverging from the groupbacktracked to the trail that led them here, checking that at this end of it, there were in fact still five sets of footprints, not that I could have missed that before... but just in case.. he mused thoughtfully.


He made his way slowly down to where Skelmara and Badger were, making his way down the embankment, following the tracks, trying to discern where the fifth member of the raiding party had gone.


Keeping his voice low he said to the group, "I suspect it may be hiding here in this tall grass" he motions toward said grass, while still inspecting the tracks in the area trying to find those boot prints again. Where does the lizardman figure in? he thought to himself, is that the booted individual? .. something's not right here. He takes extra care looking at the tracks, paying particular attention to the booted tracks.



Mechanics & Statblock

 


 
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Character: Syldanis Blackfeather
_____________________________________
Little by little, one travels far ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Syldanis; 01-03-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Deleted the dexterity check that was unneeded
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-03-2020, 03:07 AM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
More or Less Gorm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 3897
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 2,496
Fletch
right-aligned image
Overhearing Skelmara and Syldanis, Fletch was ashamed of missing the detail of the fifth member of the goblin group. He whistled and called, "I’ll keep watch from up here while you search." He nocked another arrow for the errant fifth member whilst Perception =12carefully scanning the area for movement.

He noted the restful boar, the mushrooms and the spice smell and called to the elf, "Syldanis! See yon mushrooms? What type are those that would cause the boar to stop? Do you know my woodland friend?"
 

 

Last edited by Niyaga; 01-03-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-05-2020, 06:36 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-08-2020
RPXP: 4040
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 2,010
Badger
right-aligned image

Reeling back for another blow, the halfling is surprised to find another arrow suddenly sprouting out of his foe, who stumbles backwards and falls to the ground with a surprised look on its dying face. He turns quickly looking for another opponent only to see Skelmara send a goblin flying in the air, quite dead before it even hits the ground.

Turning to look for more enemies despite the quiet in the air, he suddenly sees the boar lying face down and wonders briefly why it all of a sudden seems to have fallen asleep. He does not know much about animals, but he remembers the hogs at the butcher shop where he used to sneak in the back and steal meat from. Even in the middle of the night they never slept as deeply as this boar seems to now. And then, with a start, he sees the strange cloud around it and feels a tingling in his hands as he smells cinnamon. It's not the sweet cinnamon like the buns of a bakery, but a bitter smell in more ways. Moving back quickly, he motions for Skelmara to move backwards too away from it. "Watch out! Some kind of strange cloud around that boar. I don't know what it is, but I don't trust it and it has that pig sleeping like a drunk man at a tavern." He points with his sword to show the others where he is talking about.


 


 
__________________
Back to RPGX
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-22-2020, 07:36 AM
Vathe's Avatar
Vathe Vathe is offline
Pesky Goblin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-01-2020
RPXP: 1357
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Posts: 642
Into the Borderlands: Hunting the Hunters II
right-aligned image

Hearing Badger's warning to avoid the boar and the strange cloud that surrounded it, Skelmara dragged the nearby greenskins and their fallen equipment to safety. It would be a waste to leave their weapons lying uselessly. To make the most of what they had killed was the way of her people. It would be the same with a goblin as any fish or elk.

Unlike a salmon or calf however, she knew better than to consider their meat. All of the Iron Claw knew it was best to avoid green-touched meat entirely; aside burning it. Her elders had warned that goblins never truly die. That their taint was eternal. Her father had witnessed the degeneration of the Tribe of the Wolf for being so tempted. That year was known as the Year of Howling and its name was a warning. Eating goblin meat poisoned the mind.

Pulling anything usable from the ground and the khapul's cooling grips, Skelmara found a total of four javelins, three goblin spears and the orc's fallen battleaxe. All of the missiles were made of strong wood, with leather or heavy twine holding sharp spearheads of chipped stone. They were made sturdy enough to last at least a few uses. The battleaxe, however, was the pack's obvious prize. Made wholly of bronze, the weapon gleamed brightly as she revealed it to the sun's light. Three rings of runic inscriptions ran around the mid-haft telling her it was dwarf made. It was a fine piece, better than most of the weapons she saw on other warriors she had encountered. Likely the orc had stolen it from some unlucky dwarf in recent days.

As she was busy inspecting, atop the hill Syldanis had gotten to work Survival Check: Success!
Syldanis is able to follow his quarry and notices several small details.
retracing the tracks that had lead their party to the clearing. It would have been a cunning orc to have evaded his eyes. But, sure as his hate for the savages told him, there was no orc so cunning. He could trace the booted one going into the clearing too.

Only it had gained some weight there. Where all the others steps grew shallower for dropping off their cargo of pigs, the booted one's began to press deeper into the dirt as it headed for the tall grass. The pace was slow. Not stalking or sneaking yet, it either hadn't known they were coming or didn't care. It had simply headed off alone when the pack had arrived here, pig in tow.

But why it had done so was illusive.

It was watchful Fletch who found the next clue. From his place atop the ridge, the rogue Perception Check: Success!
Fletch spots a peculiar sight.
noticed how a column of black smoke had appeared rising up in the distance. It was a few bow lengths distant, he thought, set against the bottom of the mountainside there. The tracks Syldanis stood at the head of aimed directly for it.


right-aligned image

Knowing what they must do, the party gathered themselves, stocking the scavenged weapons and shaking off the aftereffects of the red cloud. A building curiosity and purpose guided them through the tall grass just as much as their ranger did. The two who could see over the inhibitive stalks watched out for the runaway but as they pressed quickly for the fire no smart attacks came and no heads peeked.

For a moment as they grew nearer, Skelmara saw something move by the far fire, some glittering alike the cat she had seen before. Before a good look could be taken, again, Perception Check: Failure!
Skelmara fails to see what the glittering thing was.
the glittering thing disappeared.

At the scene, no orc appeared as they pushed out of the tall grass. There they saw its work however. Atop an incline that led to the rising stone of the mountain side, was a short sward of trees and bushes where the pig rested like a sacrifice upon a natural altar of flattened stone. Small ceramic pots, skulls and treasures rested around it, lingering appeasements of its savage people to some unknown and uncaring greater. The ground before the slab looked like it had been razed many times in the past by some large creature. Nearby the pig's altar the bonfire that had called them here blazed, shooting thick smoke into the sky.

Not believing that his quarry could just disappear, Syldanis ignored the altar and fire for the lingering tracks and noticed that here they jerked suddenly. They had suddenly run off the edge of the cliff and back into the grass! That had been what Skelmara had been straining to look at!

The elf turned and drew back an arrow just as a missile flew from the tall grass not twenty feet from where they had just walked past. Then, the elf saw his quarry. An orc female draped in ratty cloths that hid an eye-catching golden chain beneath. The orc's eyes lit up with a violent ecstasy Orc Ranger vs. Syldanis
Rolled a 17, hitting Syldanis for 3 piercing damage!
as its arrow struck his shoulder. The pain stopped his draw long enough for the furtive orc to crouch back into the concealing grass.

As it did, a piercing screech filled the air. It soared over their heads from beyond the shadows of the high mountain cliff at the party's backs. It was a monstrous sound, something that could not have come from a bird or even some smaller sort of monster. Orcish taunts followed it from the grass, delight thick in its grating voice. "Keh! Syldanis understands this to mean: "Die to Skyreaver, elf scum!" (Orc Language)Mat avo Undraka, parar avraukh!"



 


OOC
Turn Order: Round 1 Enemy AC
??? Fletch 
??? Syldanis 
??? Skelmara 
??? Badger 
6 Orc Ranger Golden Chain Shirt16

The Trek to the Smoke Site. Your characters traveled the short distance to the smoke site within a few minutes. Along the way Skelmara's Perception Check did not catch their enemy concealing itself, just a brief shine of its armor, and Syldanis' Tracking allowed them to reach it but not catch the orc before it struck. Thus, it had Surprise and That elf-orc hatred is no one-sided affair! At least it rolled low on damage!shot Syldanis.

The Orc. It stood up to shoot Syldanis and then crouched back down. It is currently impossible to see as it is A Heavily Obscured area - such as Darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage - blocks vision entirely. A creature effectively suffers from the Blinded condition when trying to see something in that area.

Blinded Condition
  • A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.
  • Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s Attack rolls have disadvantage.
Heavily Obscured by the tall grass, but your characters know its approximate location and can choose to fire at that area. As well, it is currently Prone Condition
  • A prone creature’s only Movement option is to crawl, unless it stands up and thereby ends the condition.
  • The creature has disadvantage on Attack rolls.
  • An Attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature. Otherwise, the Attack roll has disadvantage.
Prone.

The Screech. Cannot be anything good.

Rocky Cliff. The Rocky Cliff is a fifteen foot drop. Jumping from it would require a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw to avoid taking 1d6 bludgeoning damage from the fall.
Steep Embankment. The Embankment is Difficult Terrain for any creature attempting to climb up it, but creatures going down are not affected.
Tall Grass. The Tall Grass is tall enough to heavily conceal Prone or Small creatures. Creatures are revealed to other creatures in the Tall Grass from ten feet away.
__________________
Status: Slow

Last edited by Vathe; 02-24-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-24-2020, 01:13 AM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
More or Less Gorm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 3897
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 2,496
Fletch
right-aligned image
"The tall grass!" Fletch hissed as the arrow hit Syldanis and whatever nastiness screeched from above. He assessed the others to see if they’d follow suit and seek cover. Furthermore, he didn’t want his companions hit by another arrow. He was going to get in close with his sword and distract the golden-armoured she-orc.

Drawing his shortsword he dashed quickly across the open ground, keeping his head low. He reached the edge of the grass and pushed through until he stood alongside the Orc. Up close he could smell the smoke and stench of the Orc and hoped it couldn’t arm itself properly before he bring blade to bear.
 

 
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-25-2020, 09:52 PM
Syldanis's Avatar
Syldanis Syldanis is offline
Semi-aloof Ranger
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 181
Syldanis Syldanis
Posts: 104
an arrow to the knee... er, shoulder =)

Syldanis
right-aligned image

Syldanis swears in elvish before commenting to the group. ""Whatever that screech was from, it is something that orc called Skyreaver... so... it doesn't sound good." He reaches up and snaps off the arrow protruding from his shoulder with a soft grunt, leaving a stub about 6 inches long to be dealt with laterprotruding. He moves forward, bow at the ready. He runs right up on the orc and lets Advantage for being next to her and disadvantage for being in melee range with a bow cancel each other out. But I will roll with disadvantage because of the arrow in his shoulderloose an arrow as pain shoots down his arm and side.


Mechanics & Statblock

 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Character: Syldanis Blackfeather
_____________________________________
Little by little, one travels far ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Syldanis; 02-25-2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added "That" to what he said
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-26-2020, 08:26 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-08-2020
RPXP: 4040
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 2,010
Badger
right-aligned image

Badger aids Skelmara in the dragging of the corpses, making sure he gives each one a sharp stab with his sword prior to moving them. He learned long ago the dangers of assuming an enemy has died, only to wake up one night with the bastard on top of you with a blade at your neck. Badger still remembers the crunch of bone and flesh in his mouth as he bit the man's finger off, the only thing that prevented him from getting his throat cut that night.

The sharp eyes of Syldanis and Fletch spotted smoke off into the distance several bowshots away, and Badger nervously draws his shortsword to keep ready. He wasn't sure what they would find. A campfire of the hunting party, perhaps, but what if it was some village these beasts had attacked? He didn't know too much about goblins or orcs, just from what he has heard and seen in the streets, but so far they definitely seen like a bunch of jerks.




Walking through the tall grass, Badger still feels a bit nervous. He is not used to being unable to see as, due to his shorter size, the grass obscures his vision more than he feels comfortable. He's also wondering what kind of strange creatures might be lurking around him. Living outdoors within the city walls was quite different than living outdoors outside of them, and he wasn't quite sure how he felt about it all yet. When they finally do get out of the tall grass and move into the clearing, Badger breathes a bit easier as he surveys the scene.

And what a strange scene it is. A large fire, some kind of table with a pig on it, skulls, other weird trinkets. Badger immediately assumes this is some kind of magic place, and an evil one at that based off of what he sees. A chill trickles down his spine as he wonders what they might have just wandered into.

His thoughts are confirmed when he hears the tell tale twang of bowstring and sees an arrow thunk heavily into Syldanis's shoulder. He whips around to look to see where it came from only to catch a glimpse of a figure before it dropped down below the tall grass once again. He hears the strange roar from above and yelling in a guttural tongue, and his fear quickly turns into raw anger. How dare they try to kill him! He would make them pay!

His long-used strategy when it was time to run or fight has always been to charge aggressively into the fray, and thsi time seems like no exception. Rushing down the hill, sword in hand, Badger makes a beeline for the shadowy figure in the grass, screaming at the top of his lungs he charges "I'll kill you, you @#$%! I'll kill you! I'LL KILL YOU!!!"



 


 
__________________
Back to RPGX

Last edited by Grouchy; 02-26-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Vathe's Avatar
Vathe Vathe is offline
Pesky Goblin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-01-2020
RPXP: 1357
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Posts: 642
Into the Borderlands: Hunting the Hunters II
right-aligned image

With a cry of the lurking danger from Fletch, weapons were drawn with hiss and heft. Halfling feet pelted across the dry grass, subtle, nimble sounds that were covered entirely by the torrents of pure hate that loosened from Badger as the two disappeared into the high grass. A rough sway of stalks was the only way Skelmara could keep track of the two.

Snapping the shaft of the orc's arrow and tossing it, Syldanis warned the others of the name the orc had declared before charging. Elvish feet struck in sync with the orcish tracks before as he jumped from the sward's edge and, with all the elegance gifted to his kind, Syldanis Dex Saving Throw: Success!
First pre-rolled check used. Syldanis avoids the fall damage from jumping off the Rocky Cliff.
tumbled in a roll. As soon as his lead foot pressed dirt, an arrow flew.

Curling back, the harried she-orc snatched its mangy cloak with an open hand and threw the garment in front of itself, Syldanis vs. Orc Ranger
Rolled an 11, missing the Orc Ranger.
swatting aside the missile and revealing the splendorous golden chain beneath. Elven chain.

Hatred for the very idea that this orc could wear something of the sort brought Syldanis to once again look upon the cur's face and in that split second he learned a horrible truth. In its eyes it bore the mind of an orc, surely, but the shape of its face, the length and point of its ears, those were undeniably elvish. What was this thing?

Fletch's eyes caught a more simple horror. The bow had left its hand. Cast away, the orc reached for the uncovered weapon at its side. A sword shaped like it was meant to be a hatchet. And this orc knew no slowness to the draw as the other before it had. The weapon snapped forward, loosened as the orc's death-gray arm flicked toward his elvish companion like a snake.

Syldanis Orc Ranger vs. Syldanis
Rolled an 8, missing the nimble elf.
weaved away from the chopping swing by a hair's breadth. As the blade came back a rude slash was left upon his leather breastplate.

Up on the hill, Skelmara only saw the wild sways of the grass and Syldanis whose upper torso crested the top. But then as he dodged back another head appeared in front of him. The orc. So assailed, it could no longer consider hiding.

However, a not so distant flapping distracted any thought of following her companions. They had charged the orc and left only her to see it as it came. What could only be 'Skyreaver'. Above the cliff it appeared, massive wings spread wide as it looked down upon them from a hundred feet high. Shadows cast over its form, but she could see the huge body those wings held up. A lion's body, limber and thick with muscle. But its head was that of a bird.

The creature's huge wings narrowed and suddenly it was diving down. The hundred feet were cleared in only a moment, yet as it landed only two beats were needed to halt it. The wind made anything loose fly about wildly. The beast clamped one of its frontal talons dominantly over a nearby log, looking down on those in the brush and let loose another piercing cry, turning to Skelmara as it did.

It ignored the pig on the altar. A better offering was in front of it.



 


OOC
Turn Order: Round 2 Enemy AC
21 Fletch 
12 Syldanis 
11 Badger 
6 Orc Ranger Elvish Chain Shirt16
5 Skyreaver 12
2 Skelmara 

Rocky Cliff. The Rocky Cliff is a fifteen foot drop. Jumping from it would require a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw to avoid taking 1d6 bludgeoning damage from the fall.
Steep Embankment. The Embankment is Difficult Terrain for any creature attempting to climb up it, but creatures going down are not affected.
Tall Grass. The Tall Grass is tall enough to heavily conceal Prone or Small creatures. Creatures are revealed to other creatures in the Tall Grass from ten feet away.
__________________
Status: Slow
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-29-2020, 05:48 PM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is online now
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 2391
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 2,302
Skelmara
right-aligned image
As her companions vanished one-by-one into the field below, Skelmara maintained her vantage point on the ridge, looking out over the grass for the enemy. Finally, the wretched creature poked its head up, and Skel moved to drop her hammer and grab a javelin from her back... when she heard it. The sound of massive wings beating the air, and as Skel looked up toward the source of the sound, the sun was partially obscured by a great, hulking creature descending upon her position.

The cleric froze, clutching her hammer and shield in a vice-like grip as Skyreaver approached... what a sight. It was like nothing she'd ever encountered before, and she could feel her heart beating powerfully in her chest. As it slowed its descent, she had to raise her shield in front of her face to block rocks, sticks and other debris flying in the gusts of wind produced by its powerful wings. Slowly, she lowered her shield and looked up at the monster's bird face... watched it turn to face her, seemingly disinterested in the pig, but with hunger very much still in its eyes.

"Kord be with me..." Adrenaline pumping, Skel's eyes flashed back and forth, falling on the tall grass near the bottom of the embankment. She could probably make it if she ran... throw herself down and use the tall grass as cover. The others would be able to help...

'... No.'

Skel gritted her teeth, raising her hammer up. She would not put them into harms way, especially not when they had a foe of their own to deal with. Skelmara had this monstrosity's attention, and she would hold it for as long as possible.

"Oy! Looking for an easy meal?!" She narrowed her eyes, beating her hammer hard against her shield.

*CLANG* The symbol on her shield began to glow.

"Well, you should have stuck with the pork then!"

*CLANG* The glow intensified, moving to her hammer.

"Because I promise you, Iron Claws do NOT go down smooth!"

*CLANG* Skelmara pointed her hammer straight at the terrible beast's chest.

"LET ME SHOW YOU!" With a bright flash, a beam of radiant light shot from the end of the cleric's weapon, Attack Roll: 18striking Skyreaver. Immediately, the radiant glow surrounded it, burning it with holy energy and 12 Radiant Damage

Next attack against Skyreaver is made with advantage.
lighting it up like a massive beacon. Skel immediately pulled back her arm, raising her shield again in a defense stance as she prepared for a counterattack
Rolls & Actions
 
Stat Block
 
__________________
Characters: Oloro "Watcher" Navali | Skelmara of the Iron Claw | Milo Dunnwood | Woodwind | Rin Mikuyo | Krei Belarus

I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; 03-02-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
More or Less Gorm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-09-2020
RPXP: 3897
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 2,496
Fletch
right-aligned image
'The altar, the Orc, Skyreaver, elvish chain. There's a lot going on,' Fletch thought as he pushed into the grass, blade drawn. The beat of the thing’s wings blew the grass flat as he engaged the one who’d injured Syldanis. He looked back to see Skelmara facing the winged beast alone. 'Skelmara! Run! As we have!' but there was no time to cry out; the warrior woman would make her own decisions.

No matter what, this Orc wouldn’t fare well against himself and Badger, elvish chain or not! If it could even see them properly. He stabbed up under the 9hp dmg from sword
3hp dmg from sneak
creature’s guard with his sword drawing blood. He'd never fought in desperation for himself and his companions like this and hoped they'd fare well. Although he was fast with his dagger the Orc-thing's pained thrashing snagged its point in the chain and worked it away from it's flesh.

He caught a glimpse of a flash of bright light from Skelmara and the Skyreaver's direction and realised the warrior woman had decided to do battle with it. He gulped. 'Maybe with all four off us raining blows on it we might succeed. But Skelmara alone!? How could she hope to best it!'
 

 

Last edited by Niyaga; 03-02-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB