Game Thread Barovia Wants You! - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Barovia Wants You!
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 03-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Carver's Avatar
Carver Carver is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-02-2020
RPXP: 567
Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver
Posts: 273
Thane, Wood Elf Rogue
right-aligned image

Thane felt comfort from Mercy's words, then immediate discomfort from the words of Herr Doctor Wens. What fate had befallen them to leave them in such a state. Was this punishment for what had occurred in Daggerford? While not everyone had shared their story, it had been apparent that each person had seen some misfortune before setting out.

Thane also nodded to Arquiztex, an acknowledgment of their kinship, though he wondered how different they were on the spectrum of their roles. It was clear now, that the house was their goal. "We are better as an alliance." He spoke aloud, as an advisory for those who were ahead and encouragement for those who lagged behind.

The Wood Elf did not feel confident engaging the children, and the others seemed keener to do it. Thane needed to take up his post, supporting those moving forward and anticipating what they would encounter. He moved towards the house, following those who were making entry and Perception Check (26)listened out for anything outside of the partys footsteps. If such a howling monster existed, he didn't expect it to hold it's tongue.

 

 
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-19-2020, 03:32 PM
DaniLore's Avatar
DaniLore DaniLore is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1260
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
Posts: 410
Sylvi
right-aligned image
As soon as they entered the house, Sylvi shut the door. She turned at the good Doctor’s opinion, raising a brow. “They are safer with us than alone out there,” She flatly replied. Surely he must have been adrift in deep contemplation when she had mentioned the bit about gigantic dire wolves. Sylvi quietly observed Mercy’s soft way of calming children and decided that for now she would push the issue no farther. The portico was within safe distance, but why try to shelter the pair from the truth? Was the truth likely horrible? Yes. Life is horrible and full of despair. These children will always be consumed by fear unless they learn to face it head on—starting here.

Sylvi regarded Rosavelda with a sober expression, “Rosa, do you recall anything of what happened? You must try to remember. Anything that you tell us will help us protect you and your family. Also, you mentioned there is a baby upstairs? If I leave you to find the nursery, promise me that you will not stray farther than the porch.”

How strange… the house was so aged and decrepit outside but there wasn’t a speck of dust or cobwebs in the lobby. What accursed magic was this? Was it even magic? There was this odd pine smell that permeated the room. The fact that the aroma was still fresh and strong was telling, in more ways than one. Sylvi belted out a laugh, if that didn’t get the group’s attention than what would?

“Interesting, do you smell that?” Sylvi pondered aloud with glaring incredulity. “I find it remarkable that such a ramshackle house is so tidy inside. Is there a friendly caretaker going about his work, or does our monster have a penchant for cleaning?” Red flags were so plentiful here, Sylvi merely wanted to point them out before they ran head first into an ambush. Lowering her voice, Sylvi whispered. I find this whole scenario highly suspect. Be on your guard, we could be walking into a death trap…so I suggest we find the stairs and search from the attic down.”

Turning her attention to Liiare, something she had said outside had stymied her. “Liiare, can you tell us anything more of what you felt? What is this desecration?” There were several layers of desecration. Surely Doctor Wens and Zilgim both knew the varied ways one could accomplishing that. Sylvi made a quick scan of the parlor walls and its tapestries, feeling a sense that a great many things were out of place but she just couldn’t put her finger on it. Perhaps the more perceptive of her companions could uncover clues that would confirm these raging suspicions?


Action
Action: Investigation Check 8
__________________
Posting Status: Normal
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-19-2020, 04:53 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Dragoonies never say die!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3029
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 1,801
Rolen the RangerRolen had already pushed open the large wooden doors and slipped inside the odd old durst manor by the time his companions made it to the unusually tidy portico. The silence was eerily tangible, clinging to everything within these ancient walls. A howling beast trapped within huh? A silent monster is more fearsome by far... Knowing what terrible beasts and monsters stalked Faerun, the wood elf cringed thinking about what might be lurking in this strange and dark land.

With a naked shortsword gripped loosely ready to strike out at potential ambush the ranger quickly and still stealthingquietly perception check: 21scanned the immediate area for dangers before proceeding further into the house. All of his instincts screaming that something was off but like some of the others suggested he too thought this could be their only path forward.


Actions
  • Move 10' into the house looking around for threats


 
__________________
Owain ap Gwalchmei of Snowdonia; Jack of Tales, Dashing rogue; Rolen Liadon, Barovia Buddy; I have taken the oath. “Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.” -Willam Gibson
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-20-2020, 01:52 AM
Crucius's Avatar
Crucius Crucius is offline
Old Sphinx
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 932
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Posts: 803
Liiare
right-aligned image
Liiare quieted herself and made a foreign gesture to the rest of the party to do likewise. She continued to look for the specific location of desecration as she moved further into the house


ActionsContinues to move towards the source of desecration.


Character InfoCharacter Sheet
Hit PointsDivine SenseLay on HandsHit Dice
12/122/32/21/1d10
__________________
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” -Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-20-2020, 05:30 AM
Exfilia Exfilia is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Posts: 902
You are here. The upper part is the foyer, and the portico is at the bottom. Contrary to appearances, that's a gate, not a portcullis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foyer.png
Views:	13
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	83499  
__________________
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:23 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 1313
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 1,200
In the Foyer

Mercy Petreva, Human Cleric
right-aligned image

Mercy felt a little better instantly on entering the house, just getting away from the gross smells and unsettling sounds outside, and sniffing pine cleaner in this aesthetically pleasing foyer. She was immediately drawn to the paintings and the crest, and examined them closely to see if there were any familiar characteristic in the faces, or any shape she would recognize that she had seen before. As a painter, she was interested in the colors and techniques, and looked closely at the backgrounds of the portraits and the clothing worn by the subjects. She was never the best at remembering things she'd read in books, but History check: 6she did her best to look for clues to where (or when!) she had landed and who lived in this house. Sadly she couldn't remember ever seeing that windmill before.

"Nope," she said. "Nothing." And immediately catching Liiare's gesture she made a 'yikes' face and said, "Sorry!"

 

 

Last edited by lostcheerio; 03-20-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Incorporating roll in narrative
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-20-2020, 10:25 AM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Dragoonies never say die!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3029
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 1,801
Rolen the Ranger Shortsword in hand for close-quarters fighting inside the old manor Rolen crept across the foyer and slipped past the doors into the house propper. As stealth check: 25(nat 20)quietly as possible, the wood elf moved deeper into the room perception check: 24(another nat 20!)looking out for any danger or signs of the monster. Stay sharp Rolen, no telling what's waiting within He steels himself to lead the assault on the mystery monster once they find the attic, cellar.


Actions
  • Move into the manor and search the room


 
__________________
Owain ap Gwalchmei of Snowdonia; Jack of Tales, Dashing rogue; Rolen Liadon, Barovia Buddy; I have taken the oath. “Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.” -Willam Gibson
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Exfilia Exfilia is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Posts: 902
Rose looks after Arquiztex. "I made an unwarranted assumption," the girl says. "I would have liked to apologize. Perhaps when you come back, the... the lady with the lovely scales... will have time to speak to us for a moment."

She turns and pulls the gate to. You hear the lock engage.

"There," she says. "That will keep the wolves out, if they do show up. Thank you all so much, and please hurry. I'm ever so worried about what has become of Walter."



As Rolen and Sylvi scan the great hallway into which the foyer debouches, they see that it runs the full width of the house. There's a huge red marble staircase at the far end leading to the upper floors, and a polished black marble fireplace at your end. The fire has been laid, but not lit. A longsword hangs over the mantel. The wood paneled walls are elaborately carved with flowering vines among which sport nymphs and satyrs. There are doors as indicated by the white rectangles on the map. You came through the one at the lower left.





Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mainhall.png
Views:	21
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	83504  
__________________
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that.

Last edited by Exfilia; 03-20-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:04 PM
Oakie's Avatar
Oakie Oakie is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 1230
Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie
Posts: 741
Herr Doctor Johanne Peoter Wens
right-aligned image

Standing just inside the foyer, Herr Doctor Wens becomes quite alarmed when Rose locks the gate from the inside. He turns and looks at the children pointedly.





ACTIONS
 

STAT BLOCK
 

Last edited by Oakie; 03-20-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Delete Persuasion roll copied from last post
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Carver's Avatar
Carver Carver is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-02-2020
RPXP: 567
Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver
Posts: 273
Thane, Wood Elf Rogue
right-aligned image
Thane closed his eyes, concentrating as intently as possible. He picked out a few things that didn't surprise him massively and failed to pick out any nearby threats. But there was something. His brow furrowed. Something coming? Something in his head? The strange feeling in this locale was becoming the norm.

"I do not detect anything in the vicinity. But there may be..." He looked back to the entrance they had come through. "We should remain vigilant."

The Wood elf moved forward with the group, in to the larger room ahead of the foyer. He looked immediately to the stairs. "The children indicated the attic as our destination." He looked to those gathered. "Please allow me to scout the upper floors."

 
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-20-2020, 03:45 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,753

So now, what do we do on a monster hunt? Years later, Arquiztex could clearly hear the voice of her tribe's hunter-teacher, the wise Gruq'lez. This memory was from her brood's first training, when they were still very young and still carried the smell of wet leaves and composted nutrients that had sheltered and formed them as eggs. We crouch, we crawl, we watch, we wait ... then we strike! The broodlings responded in unison with the words that had been drilled into them for moons. Yes. And ... today we do that. Gruq'lez nodded in affirmation.

That was how the Rak'ta learned to hunt. And that was how the Rak'ta hunted. And never had that method brought hunger. And never had that method brought defeat.

But this ... this wasn't a hunt at all. For a crouch and a crawl, a hunter needed shadow and cover. For a watch, wait and a strike, a hunter needed a prey.

And here they all stood in this hideous smelling room with this artificial lighting, neither sun nor magic, that threw rays of light into a tarnished rainbow of the true color spectrum that Arquiztex knew. There was nowhere to crawl. Nowhere to hide. And no prey to see.

But this wasn't the hunt's fault. It was Arquiztex's fault. She had failed to immediately adapt. Now, that would change.

So now, what do we do on a monster hunt? This time, the memory was more recent, when Gruq'lez was preparing the brood for their qu'ntrium. By that time, the broodlings had grown stronger, lean and muscular all, and Gruq'lez had grown older. Her scales flaked, her eyes held clouds of white swirls at the edges, her hisses tapered off into dry croaks. The broodlings had begun to outgrow her. They looked upon her teachings as simple, obvious and no longer necessary. They longed to go on the qu'ntrium and join the real ranks of their tribe. But Gruq'lez thought they still had something to learn. "Nanny Gruq" was what some of the bigger, stronger male broodlings called her when she was not around. If she were to hear that, it would demand a standoff ... a death. And the older males knew that, and had begun to wonder if they wouldn't win the fight, if they shouldn't speak their taunt louder. Finally, one did.

What did you say? hissed Gruq'lez.

"Quiet, nanny. A warrior speaks," said another male, the one who rivaled the first speaker for supremacy among the broodlings.

This is what we will do, Gruq'lez said, with no traces of the age in her throat...something that Arquiztex realized, looking back, should have been a clue to a wise hunter. I have no time for both of you, the two of you will fight. The strong one will kill the scrawny one. And then I will fight the strong one.

Gruq'lez said it so quickly, so calmly, as if she had anticipated and planned this. Cornered into action, and not even realizing they had been, the two males immediately set about one another with their claws and their maws. At first, the broodlings cheered. After five minutes, the blood lust had set in and they demanded a death even though the two males, evenly matched, were unable to strike a killing blow on one another.

Kill the scrawny one! Gruq'lez jeered them on, and the other broodlings hissed in delight.

And so, both of the males continued, unsure who was the strong one and who was the scrawny, and both decreasingly confident and increasingly afraid to find out. It ended, as the broodlings expected, with a bite to the neck.

But the broodlings hadn't anticipated this particular bite.

As the males grappled with one another and with exhaustion, Gruq'lez calmly walked up and bit them both...one maw through two necks. It was entirely unexpected, though entirely foreseeable in retrospect. Her bite was ... "rup" that undefinable and rarely used term in Arquiztex's group of Rak'ta that outsiders would sometimes equate with "exquisite."

After that day, Arquiztex was never ashamed to always return to and respect the basics ...Now, what do we do on a monster hunt?

I crouch. I crawl. I watch. I wait. I strike.

And so, here, in this most un-marsh-like of land before her, Arquiztex did as best as she could. For herself, and for these companions who had set out on the hunt with her.


 


 

Last edited by bananabadger; 03-20-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-20-2020, 04:26 PM
delpinator delpinator is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1642
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Posts: 5,308
zilgim
left-aligned image

stepping out from stealth zilgim says," Perhaps... I should join you... in scouting."

He turns to rose as she shuts the gate. "Protection... from the wolves... is appreciated rose... though having no feasible exit... should something hazardous... come upon us... is truly daunting."

He approaches the mantle "I see a sword... upon the mantel... is this... by chance... your fathers? I would have presumed... the blade... to be used... against the monster. Is there... significance... to this sword?"


Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-20-2020, 05:18 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Dragoonies never say die!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3029
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 1,801
RolenRolen was already striding toward the red staircase eager to find the monster within "I'll ascend with Thane and Zilgim, our strength lies in numbers after all." He turned and nodded to Arquiztex perched above the hearth, glad to have another hunter watching their backs. The ranger sensed no immediate danger on this level but couldn't seem to shake the anxious feeling of facing the unknown on unfamiliar ground. Kill the dead man the words from the odd elven raven-woman still rattling around in his mind did little to ease his nerves. The familiar weight of his sword in hand was a calming presence however, he steadied his breathing and pressed on to the waiting stairs.


actions
  • Aproach the spiral staircase still keeping as stealthy as possible.


 
__________________
Owain ap Gwalchmei of Snowdonia; Jack of Tales, Dashing rogue; Rolen Liadon, Barovia Buddy; I have taken the oath. “Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.” -Willam Gibson
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-20-2020, 05:24 PM
DaniLore's Avatar
DaniLore DaniLore is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1260
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
Posts: 410
Sylvi at the Flank
right-aligned image
Sylvi couldn’t really say who she was more exasperated with at this moment, people with cotton stuffed in their ears or the strangely verbose child that locked them inside with a “monster”. Sylvi lifted a cynical smile. As I said, total deathtrap. Not that it mattered. One way or another, every nefarious thing lying in wait inside this house best pray they stay hidden in the cupboards and broom closets. Whatever this desecration may be, it’s going to be rectified, so that they can bloody move on from this accursed place.

After eyeing Rosavelda with a hard expression, seeing that she had blown off her question entirely, Sylvi left the children by the door and moved into the main foyer by the staircase, where the group presumably were gathered. So many doors. So many temptations. “If you will, Thane, please do scout ahead…and be careful.”

If and when they ever climb the stairs, Sylvi would be taking the flank again. At this juncture, nothing here could possibly surprise her. She was almost certain of that.

Action
Move: to the bottom of the stairs, will take the flank
Action: Insight Check on little girl (18)
Extra Attack:
Bonus:
Free Action:
Reaction:
Current Effect:





 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal

Last edited by DaniLore; 03-20-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:15 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 1313
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 1,200
Mercy Petreva, Human Cleric
right-aligned image

"Comrades," called Mercy, with a sly thumbs-up to Sylvi," I don't know that we should rush upstairs. What if there's something dangerous in one of these rooms, lurking, waiting for us to go up these stairs so it can follow, and trap us in the upper floors? "

She crossed to the fireplace and pointed to the wood. " Who laid this fire?" She gestured to the other doors. "Maybe we should at least take a peak inside and make sure they aren't watching us right now, waiting for us to go deeper, farther, before they strike?"

Mercy put her hand on the doorknob to the right of the fireplace and her ear to the door, squinting as if she is Perception roll: 23listening intently. She looked pleadingly from Liiare to Sylvi and back again. She recognized the paladins as the leaders of the group. One at the altar, one at the narthex, both dangerous. And she was happy to be somewhere in the transept

"Liiare? Just a peek? Shall I? Sylvi?"

 

 

Last edited by lostcheerio; 03-20-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB