Game Thread Barovia Wants You! - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Barovia Wants You!
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 03-21-2020, 12:23 AM
Carver's Avatar
Carver Carver is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-02-2020
RPXP: 567
Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver
Posts: 273
Thane, Wood Elf Rogue
right-aligned image
With the approval of a few other party members, Thane was ready to push ahead. He was glad for support as well. They were always stronger in numbers, even if just scouting.

Following the fellow Wood Elfs example, he adopted stealth. Stepping slowly and quietly.

There was an uneasiness as he climbed the stairs. He was suspicious of the abode. It was unexpectedly clean for one, and the result of many bad omens leading them here.

"I am more used to being in the wilderness with little to worry about," he whispered to close company. "But I would expect a house as polished of this, with seemingly valuable items, to have some safeguards in place."

"Perhaps you have a better eye for such things?" He would attempt to look if advised. But for now, all he could do was take in the layout of the upper floor and assess their next move.

 

 
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-21-2020, 12:38 AM
DaniLore's Avatar
DaniLore DaniLore is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1260
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
Posts: 410
Sylvi “Yes, you have a good point Mercy. It would be a nuisance if something like that were to happen. Perhaps we should rethink our stratagem?” Walking across the foyer to meet the young priestess by the door, she looked to Liiare to gauge her opinion. If a few scouted ahead while they looked through this floor, more ground could certainly be covered in less time…but was that wise? “Why not make a quick sweep of this floor while we’re all together? Who knows, there may yet be some vital clues down here.” Readying her glaive, Sylvi nodded to Arquiztex in the corner to cover them if she wished, and waited for Mercy to give her a signal.


Action
Move: Sylvie is going to wait by the door until they know what the result is from Mercy’s Perception Check.
Action:
Extra Attack:
Bonus:
Free Action:
Reaction: Ready Action: if something lunges out Sylvi will make an opportunity attack should it move within 10ft of her (Pole Arm Mastery).
Current Effect:


 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-21-2020, 01:27 AM
Crucius's Avatar
Crucius Crucius is offline
Old Sphinx
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 932
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Posts: 803
Liiare
right-aligned image
Liiare scanned the room as she went, keeping the scent of desecration at the front of her mind. She turned towards her comrades, "The source of the dark presence is beneath us." As she heard the suggestions, she voiced agreement with Sylvi, "Yes, something here could mean a difference between life and death in preparedness." Besides, her job under the Raven Queen was to find objects that represent strong emotion, certainly something that could be found in such a house.


ActionsSearches for clues and/or mementos with an investigation of 9.


Character InfoCharacter Sheet
Hit PointsDivine SenseLay on HandsHit Dice
12/122/32/21/1d10
__________________
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” -Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Exfilia Exfilia is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Posts: 902
Thornboldt dissolves into tears. Rosavelda looks up at Herr Doktor Wens. "Of course we're them! I'm Rosavelda! Who else would I be? And I'm not... not that! How could you say such a thing!"



From the portico where the children remain, Thornboldt peeks around Rosavelda and answers Zilgim.

"Papa says the sword is going to be mine," he says, "when I'm big enough, and brave enough. I don't think I'll ever be that brave."





From the top of the stairs, before the rest of the party starts talking about scouting the lower floor before ascending, Rolen and Thane see this much. The stairs keep going upward to another floor. It looks like there's a big painting in this second floor hall, and a couple of suits of armor and some doors. The lamps aren't lit, though, so it's hard to see much with just a cursory glance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	middleHall.png
Views:	13
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	83528  
__________________
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that.

Last edited by Exfilia; 03-21-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-21-2020, 11:17 AM
Carver's Avatar
Carver Carver is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-02-2020
RPXP: 567
Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver
Posts: 273
Thane, Wood Elf Rogue
right-aligned image
Thane was party confused partly concerned. It felt as though the group were unfocused. They had entered with intent of slaying and rescue, a target which was indicated to be upstairs in the attic. Yet now, some were suggesting they sweep the entire house for clues. There was a slight feel of unease about wandering through someone elses domain without real purpose. Thane wanted to get a look at the next floor, he wanted to know their route to the attic. But he was not one to act against the collective. He turned to Rolen.

"We should not abandon them if they insist on exploring." He lingered at a lower point on the stairs, where he could see the door that Mercy was hovering by.

 
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-21-2020, 11:29 AM
Crucius's Avatar
Crucius Crucius is offline
Old Sphinx
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 932
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Posts: 803
Liiare
right-aligned image
Liiare finds herself drawn to the wall panels, each covered in strange carvings. She is sure there is something of interest in them but can’t figure out what, "Does anyone know what to make of these carvings?"


Character InfoCharacter Sheet
Hit PointsDivine SenseLay on HandsHit Dice
12/122/32/21/1d10
__________________
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” -Victor Hugo

Last edited by Crucius; 03-21-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-21-2020, 11:44 AM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,754

As the party disperses throughout the first floor, Arquiztex remains crouched in the corner by the fireplace. She is watching over her group, moving the aim of her arrow across the room to cover an unexpected entrance from any of the doors or the stairway. She can't keep her eye and her target on every entrance at every second, but if she does her best the monster will never know she couldn't.


 


 
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-21-2020, 11:46 AM
delpinator delpinator is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1642
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Posts: 5,308
zilgim
left-aligned image

I've done carving in the past perhaps I can make sense of the 19carvings, thought zilgim, as he approaches the woodwork. He goes to examine the etching to see if he can make sense of the tools used, the age of the carving, and any 12historical significance the carvings may have.



Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-21-2020, 12:13 PM
Oakie's Avatar
Oakie Oakie is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 1230
Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie
Posts: 741
Herr Doctor Johanne Peoter Wens
right-aligned image

Satisfied for the time being, Herr Doctor Wens joins in the plurality in the main hall. Discussion of the sword piques his curiosity and he Religion 24, Arcana 23examines the item, leaning in close to it and lifting his spectacles while squinting to make out the fine detail. "Hmm ..." he mutters to himself, "Excellent craftsmanship, a fine weapon. Now ... Oh my, what have we here?!"


ACTIONS
 

STAT BLOCK
 

Last edited by Oakie; 03-21-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-21-2020, 04:59 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Dragoonies never say die!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3029
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 1,801
RolenFrom the landing of the second floor the ranger peered into the shadows with the aide of his elvish darkvision. Not finding any enemies waiting to pounce on the advancing party Rolen turned his back on the darkened hall. To Thane he said "You're right brother, we're stronger together. As much as I want to rush ahead it may not be wise."

He descended to the bottom of the staircase so he could aide the group in case one of the rooms contained danger. But the ranger kept glancing up the stairs into the gloom, his instincts urging him to hunt. Stay sharp now, everything still feels soo strange...


Actions
  • Move to the bottom of the stairs, watching


 
__________________
Owain ap Gwalchmei of Snowdonia; Jack of Tales, Dashing rogue; Rolen Liadon, Barovia Buddy; I have taken the oath. “Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.” -Willam Gibson
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 PM
delpinator delpinator is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1642
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Posts: 5,308
zilgim
left-aligned image

Wait! There are skulls and snakes could this be a religous sign or the fey wild? I've heard in both of hidden dangers within a garden. "With careful study... I have inspected these paintings... for foul and unholy clues... to the mystery of this manor... and have found... skulls and serpents... among the bountiful pleasure... spread upon its canvas."



Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-21-2020, 10:06 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 1313
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 1,200
Mercy Petreva, Human Cleric
right-aligned image

"Wow, thanks guys, thanks comrades," Mercy blushed. "Maybe we could spread out down here and just get the lay of the land at least, before we go up. Or if the evil is down," Mercy pointed delicately down at the carpet, "like Liiare said, maybe we'll find something helpful! Behind that door there, or that, or down there..."

She gestured to the different exits from the downstairs hallway. "You know, those portraits in the foyer were from five hundred years ago. I can tell from the fashion. And the brush strokes. What a treasure trove of artistic artifacts -- we're standing in history!"

She put her finger to her lips and cracked the door Roll for this was in the last post: 23she had been listening to, and peeked into the room to the right of the fireplace, holding her breath and Roll in action block: 21trying to be super quiet with the doorknob.


 

 

Last edited by lostcheerio; 03-21-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-21-2020, 11:49 PM
Crucius's Avatar
Crucius Crucius is offline
Old Sphinx
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 932
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Posts: 803
Liiare
right-aligned image
Liiare watched quietly as the gnome examined the wall. After the gnome finished his summation, Liiare quickly followed up, "Very well, do they have any deeper significance?"


Character InfoCharacter Sheet
Hit PointsDivine SenseLay on HandsHit Dice
12/122/32/21/1d10
__________________
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” -Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:47 AM
Exfilia Exfilia is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Posts: 902
Mercy sees a cabinet, and a table and chairs and... A WOLF! Looking right at her!

But it doesn't move. It's stuffed. She opens the door the rest of the way, and sees two more stuffed wolves around the perimeter of the room. There's a stag's head over the fireplace, and two padded chairs draped with animal skins. On the small table between them sits a cask of wine, two carved wooden goblets, a pipe rack and a candelabrum. There's another table, the one you saw at first, with a chandelier above it. And there are not just the one cabinet, but two.

Back in the hall, the characters examining the skulls and snakes find that they don't seem to have any point. As far as any of you can tell, they're just a gothic twist on typical mansion decoration.

What would you like to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolvesden.png
Views:	14
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	83565  
__________________
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that.

Last edited by Exfilia; 03-22-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:09 AM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,754

Arquiztex continues her vigil from the corner of the room and allows her mind to think about how long it might take to eat a baby. Surely by now, if the monster had any power and appetite, at least the choicest parts of the baby would have been devoured. This wasn't necessarily any concern to Arquiztex, after all what was one less small human to the affairs of the Rak'ta. But Arquiztex did think it said much about the party, particularly since the humans and almost humans had been so quick to set off on the rescue of the baby human (if there was one). And if the party really wanted to reach the attic or the basement, there were quick ways: the stairs to go up, the flame tower, perhaps, to go down. It was possible that Arquiztex had underestimated the skill of some of the party members. Arquiztex thought maybe one or two of them were intentionally stalling, allowing time for the monster to eat the baby so that the monster would be satiated and lethargic in its attack once the party came upon it. If so, that was a wise strategy by a cunning hunter. Ultimately, for Arquiztex, it was unimportant whether a human baby was rescued. What was important was the hunt, this bonding of the group ... and if the group decided the hunt meant allowing a baby to die before fighting a monster, well Arquiztex could accept that.


 


 

Last edited by bananabadger; 03-22-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB