Game Thread Chapter 1: Fire and Smoke - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Stories of the Apt: Collegium Graduates
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-10-2020, 04:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 843
Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric
Chapter 1: Fire and Smoke

The LowlandsCollegium, city of ideals, ideas and dreams. A cog that won't stop spinning in the machinery of advancement. It is worse than some but better than most. Governed by its elected Assembly, Collegium prides itself on its open-mindedness. This is a city driven and molded by scholars, merchants, entrepreneurs and inventors. At least nowadays it is.
Back in the Days of Lore it hadn't been called Collegium, but Pathis and it had been a seat of power for the Moth-kinden rule over their slaves and servants. Those days are hundreds of years in the past now though and only Collegium and its Beetle driven determination remains.

Some of you grew up here, right in the heart of the Lowlands, while others moved here to learn at the Great College or follow some other goal. You might even have come from outside the Lowlands, but wherever it is you were from you are now considered citizens of Collegium. It is a diverse place where all manner of people can be found, be they Apt or Inapt. Recently, a new outside force has made itself known. The merchants of Helleron have known about the Wasps and their Empire for a while now of course, as they were able to make a good profit out of their own technological superiority over the Wasps. Some Ant-City states where slavery still exists might have come in contact with their Slave Corps. And whoever had wanted to listen would have caught one of Master Stenwold Maker's speeches about the inevitable invasion of the Wasp Empire. When the Empire had finally shown up in Collegium, it had not been with force though, but with diplomats and promises of peace and profits of course. The Treaty of Iron was signed, which officialized this promise. And so the daily routine continued in Collegium and the prospect of bringing their ideology to these new neighbors excited a many College Master.

Where Collegium was the Lowland's center of morale and innovation, Helleron was the center of production, the machine that kept everything going. Governed by its small council of the biggest merchants and magnates it prided itself on its neutrality. Helleron traded with everyone and it remained independent. It is a place full of opportunity, but also misery. The wheels don't stop turning and if you are unable to stay afloat, you might get swallowed up. One needs to stay ahead of the competition and it is here where we meet Marson Livingston of the Livingston Mining Company. He is a middle-aged Beetle and owner of his own mining company that has recently been on the rise. He wished to cement his position further and to keep his competition in the dark, has ordered a new invention in Collegium.

Whatever it is that he has ordered, it is ready to be shipped off to Helleron. Apparently, there had been a few incidents lately with both the A very large AirshipSky Without and the The newest train traveling between Collegium and Helleron. It has only made a few trips so far.Pride and so Master Livingston had sent word that he was willing to pay for hired swords to protect the shipment.
You all heard of this one way or another and have made it through the first round of screening, even if some of you might have raised some eyebrows. To finalize the agreement you've been asked into the villa of the Beetle Magnate Hapless Broiler, a young but apparently already very successful member of Collegium.

Everyone has arrived and you've been ushered into Master Broilers study, where he sits behind a large and heavy-looking table. He is flanked by two Tarkesh Ants, which looks so similar you couldn't keep them apart. As the last of you is finally led into the room he clasps his hands together. "Is that everyone? Finally! This entire process is laughable!" He gestures to an assortment of stools in front of the table. "Well do sit down, or stand. I don't care. This won't take long either way." He picks up a glass of wine and takes a rather ungainly sip, before sighing and looking at a list in front of him.

"Don't know why I have to do this personally, Livingston is ridiculous." He looks back up and addresses you. "I've got a list here with a bunch of names, but not much else. So let's make this quick and simple shall we? Who are you and why do I hire you? Whoever needs protection for a simple shipment? But alas, it's been added to the contract and so I have to do my due diligence." He takes another sip. "You're all here because you've shown at least a measure of competence. But I like to know the people who work for me and I'm not a hands-off kind of Beetle, so here we are." While he had looked annoyed at the entire necessity of hiring protection in the beginning, the Beetle Merchant started to relax slowly as he continued on. "If you do a thing, do it well. Before we can send you on your merry way to Helleron we need to figure out how to get you there. But before we go into that, I want to know more than these names on a piece of paper. Let me ask again, who are you and why did I hire you?" He looks at you all expectantly.

OOCWe're good to go! I'm excited and I hope we'll have a lot of fun with this! Let's start with some introductions and go from there
Old 04-10-2020, 07:36 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1290
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Sundai Jikaru
left-aligned image

Jikaru glanced around the room to make sure he wasn't interrupting anyone else. Well, as the highest ranking person, he probably should take the lead. He stepped forward and gave a short bow.

"Master Broiler, I am Sundai Jikaru no Tomei from the Commonweal. Master Aki of the Collegium has ordered me to travel with this caravan and provide protection. I presume you made the arrangements with him for my service. "

That said, Jikaru gave a short nod of finality and stepped back, awkwardly seating himself on the front of one of the too soft chairs.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:24 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 307
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
Trumbold Handler
left-aligned image

Trumbold watched Jikaru closely, then rose from his stool, frowning slightly. He blinked several times and cleared his throat.

"Hello, uh, Master Broiler. I am Trumbold Handler. I guess you hired me because of the contract," he offered.
"Uh, but why me, well, I guess because I'm a pretty good shot," Trumbold continued, gesturing to the light crossbow strapped to his pack and frowning even deeper.
"So, uh, yes."

Trumbold wiped his brow and sat down on his stool with a thud.

Last edited by Discipulus; 04-11-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 576
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus
Archemenon
right-aligned image

Archemenon stood and lowered his dark cloak. He bowed to Master Broiler and said:

"Master Broiler, my word is my bond. I will endeavor to see your cargo safely with all my skill and will or die trying. My specialty is melee combat and I am a bodyguard by profession. I will take Mister Handler at his word. I am a proficient shot with my longbow but probably not as good as his. There is not much else for me to say so I am concluded"

Bowing to Master Broiler again, Archemenon sits down.

OOC

Last edited by MarsComulus; 04-28-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Lexi
right-aligned image

The mood was somber as Lexi talked quietly with Gladys. It had been almost 4 years that the two moth-kinden had first met each other and they developed a very close friendship over the years. It wasn't always that way as the older moth was the veteran teacher and saw many young would-be moth doctors come to the Great College to only discover that they didn't have the skills or aptitude to make it through the program. However, the young girl from Tharn was very smart and was a hard worker. She had a keen intellect to boot and eventually made an impression on the tenured professor. So much so that she was offered an assistant role at the College.

Lexi had gathered her possessions and secured them in her traveling chests. The time had come to start the next chapter in her life. The walk was not far, from the immediate high society neighborhood next to the Great College to the Beetle enclave a few blocks over, but for Lexi it may as well have been travelling to another plane. The streets were dirtier and more congested, noises came from every corner, and there were kinden of all types going to and fro. The tall woman brought her lace clothing near her body and continued on through the chaos eventually finding Beetle Magnate Hapless Broiler's villa. She let out a deep sigh and knocked on the door. I guess they need to keep that filth out somehow... a locked door wouldn't be my choice but...

Mater Broiler's study was only slightly better than the streets that Lexi had just vacated. It was littered with miscellaneous items that seemingly had no use whatsoever. It was obviously not cared for nor curated in any way, shape or form. She was studying some of the books that were clustered on the table, 'The Common Beetle's Guide to Transportation' and 'New Items for the Skies' seemed to be the newest additions, when Master Broiler entered. "Is that everyone? Finally!" Lexi sighed a deep breath again and thought to herself, "This is worse than I had ever imagined..." The Master finished, finally, with "...who are you and why did I hire you?"

The other beetle, dragonfly and mantis spoke first and introduced themselves. All seemed eager to please this Master and whatever delegates he was working with from Helleron. Lexi was eager but it was only to get back to Tharn as quickly as possible before whatever the wasps were thinking was unfolded. She still needed to complete her research on Nathaniel's question, which had led to her attending the Great College in the first place.

Losing patience, and sensing this already less than cordial gathering was starting to unravel as time continued on, Lexi spoke for the first time. "I am Alexandria of Tharn. I have been asked by the Regents of the Great College to... watch over.. this shipment of goods to Helleron." She wouldn't explain the details of her trip if she didn't have to, there was truth, but not honesty, in her statement.

OOC
OOC: Hey all! Super excited for this campaign... I am really looking forward to it!

Old 04-10-2020, 02:59 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 775
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Ivan Brundle
left-aligned image

The diminutive Fly Kinden had actually flown in through the door, perhaps in an attempt to remain around head height of the rest of the assembled Kinden. His wings made an audible buzzing noise, which he only emitted when in a state of high excitement, which was constantly!
He sat when directed to, but looked as though he could leap out of it at any moment. He steeled himself before speaking, or perhaps just taking a deep breath!
"Ah, yes, Master Broiler Sir! Ivan Brundle, Sir! I'm an Artificer here at the College Sir. I'm here because you wanted somebody with advanced technical knowledge, to be on hand to make sure this shipment arrives intact, and that whoever it was, would likely be away for some time. My Supervisor put me forward immediately and asked if I could go right now!" He finally finished, beaming like a overactive child being given praise.

Last edited by triedtherest; 05-20-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
In the studyDespite his outward annoyance, Hapless Broilers listened to what everyone has to say attentively. He raised an eyebrow at the mention of caravans, but shows no other outward signs until everyone had made their introductions. After Ivan has finished his face lights up with relief. "An Artificer are you? Good, that's good. At least there will be someone that understands how to handle my work with care. I'd rather not have any accidents." He coughed and his eyes quickly dart over towards the Mantis and the Moth. He caught himself quickly though and continued on apologetically, "Not that I'm saying something would go wrong of course. But your lot is not known for its mechanical prowess now, is it? If you mishandle what you're to deliver, you could blow up. I'm sure you can understand my relief that there is an Artificer amongst you."

Hapless Broiler had started to sweat a bit. He reached into a drawer, pulled out a handkerchief and patted his forehead. His focus went back towards the three Inapt, once again skipping over Trumbold along the way. "I apologize if I gave offense, I'm a bit on edge right now. If you are half as deadly as you look menacing I doubt anyone will come near you." He shook his head, stood up and slowly started pacing behind his desk.

"You won't be traveling with a caravan to Helleron. We're on a timeline here and I don't intend you to be late. Every day wasted is profits down the drain. Some measures for safety have to be taken apparently, otherwise you wouldn't be here, but I have no intentions of setting up and entire caravan. You'll get there by airship or train." He stopped pacing and faced you again. "Just to be clear, I still think all of this is unnecessary and a waste of everyone's time, but I take my job seriously and so it will be done right." He sat back down and took out two pieces of paper from his desk.

"Our employer the Livingston Mining Company is apprehensive about delivery via train. That whole sabotage debacle with the Pride some while back still has some of the Magnates worried. He'd rather we waste time and send it via Airship. In the end, he delegated the choice to me though, but I'm not the one on delivery duty." Once again Master Broiler patted his forehead, before finally focussing on Trumbold. "Handler was it? You're Gladstone Handler's son, aren't you? I mostly work locally, but the Handlers send shipments all over the place. What's your input on this?" He looked from Trumbold to Ivan and over to Lexi, Archemenon, and Lexi. "I want opinions people."

OODMI'm not going to call for any dice-rolls yet, but if you want to roll a check for something, please do! You can include it in your post or the dice thread.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Trumbold Handler
left-aligned image

Trumbold blinked in surprise as the mantid-kinden vouched for him. That was unexpected.
Then, as "Ivan Brundle" said "artificer," Trumbold studied him closely. But he didn't recognize the fly-kinden. That was a relief.

What a strange group this is, Trumbold mused. But! Master Broiler was speaking again.
Trumbold listened closely, then nodded several times at Broiler's questions.

"Uh, yes. He is my father. Uh, unfortun...ately, I haven't...been able to keep up with, uh, current events as much as I would like. But I still think being, uh, careful, is a good idea, lately. But I also think, well, we are here to protect the shipment, not an airship crew. A train is faster and an airship is more...not."

Trumbold winced as he finished speaking.

This isn't even the job. Can't fall apart now! he scolded himself mentally.

Last edited by Discipulus; 04-11-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:42 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 775
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Ivan Brundle
Ivan was unusually quiet and still as Master Broiler, and then,Trumbold was it, spoke up advocating the use of the train, but then he burst into action again, nodding frantically in agreement, "Yes,yes I quite agree. Of course the Airship is a marvel, an absolute marvel I tell you, of modern engineering, but the train still has the advantage of speed AND reliability, despite the recent...ah, problems!" He waved his own objections away with his hand.
"But that too is an argument FOR it! The one thing that you can guarantee in any robbery or sabotage attempt is that security is beefed up, for a time at least. Anybody with any sense knows that too, so any attack would likely be either elsewhere or at a much layer time, when security is more lax." He looks round the room, seeing expressions that he knew well, that of people waiting for him to finish talking.
"So yes, I say go with the train." He finished quietly.

Last edited by triedtherest; 04-11-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 576
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus
Archemenon
right-aligned image

Archemenon glared and shook his head at Brundle.

Evidntly he wants Handler's opinion, not ours. Otherwise he'd have named us specifically instead of just looking, the mantid-kinden thought to himself.

OOC

Last edited by MarsComulus; 04-11-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Sundai Jikaru
left-aligned image

"Master Broiler, if you please. If you are expecting trouble, a train is extremely predictable and can be derailed or attacked quite easily. An airship is slow but less predictable. Foot or beasts are the slowest but the easiest to avoid trouble with as you can take detours and unexpected routing. What is your main priority, speed or safety?"

Old 04-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Lexi
right-aligned image

The Master was obviously out of his element here and was getting more and more nervous by the minute. Lexi mused to herself, Why would anyone hire this man if the shipment is that important. More likely than not they are just looking for cheap labor to watch over this shipment. Lucky for them I need to head to Helleron to get to Tharn.

The moth-kinden let Master Boiler rattle on. It seemed like he would never finish his nervous soliloquy. His pitch was rising and she sensed he was getting to his point. He looked at Lexi and the others and then again at Lexi for a second time as he practically cried, "I want opinions people."

Lexi was silent as the others debated out loud as to whether the airship or the train was better. She knew that the airship was practically as bad as throwing your life away. She was very used to flying but only with her own wings, not imprisoned in some kind of a mechanical death trap. If the thing started to fall we'd be stuck inside and die. That is obviously the worst method. She started to think about the merits of train travel when the dragonfly-kinden spoke up about other modes of travel.

Lexi thought quickly and added, "Time or safety, that seems to be the question. Your client wants the shipment and presumably its seers to arrive in one piece. If the quickness of the train is not warranted by Livingston Mining Company then spending some additional time to travel on ground and not by air or rail would seem to be warranted yes!" She hoped that her push to the obvious answer would give Master Broiler only one answer - that they would be best to travel by foot. The moth-kinden wanted no part in some other more chaotic mode of travel.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
ContractHapless Broiler listened to everyone's opinion and input on the matter of transportation and just raised an eyebrow at Archmenon's refusal to speak. While you spoke he had drained his glass and set it aside. It looked likely that he had been maybe as nervous as some of you about this meeting and had wanted some liquid courage to help himself. Now that the conversation was in clear waters again and he could apply his mind to a graspable problem, he appeared much more secure.

He addressed Jikaru and Alexandria first. "I can see your point and I do mean no offense when I say that I'm not surprised that you would like to avoid and airship or train. But the fact is, that we simply cannot take this route. As I've said, we are on a timeline and the set delivery date does not allow for a journey by foot and automotive." He sighed and continued. "As I've said, I find this entire plan to guard the shipment in the first place unnecessary, but Livingston is paying for it, so he'll get it. But I have no way of reaching him and proposing a later delivery time and I will no accept a cut in my payment because you got there too late." He pulled out another stack of papers.

After a cursory look over the papers, Master Broiler once again looks up and addresses you as a group. "I know that technology is, let's say, not a strong suit of the Inapt. We've got a mixed group here and you will have to work together in at least some capacity. I care not if you designate a leader or try to work things out differently, but we need to be on the same page. It's either the Pride or the Sky Without. Let me give you a bit more information so that you know the differences." He takes a deep breath and continues. "Let's start with the Pride. It's our newest marvel, a train built by Collegium and Helleron ingenuity. It employs very new technology, called a lightning engine. It can carry a few hundred people and their cargo and should make the distance in about two days, give or take." You can practically see and feel the pride of this technological marvel emanate from the Beetle. "The Sky Without is a very well known and reliable machine. It's a large airship and can take about a few dozen, maybe a hundred passengers. It's obviously not as fast, but it can get you there in about five to seven days." He looked down at his papers again, before addressing you once more. "That's about it. If you any more specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. But those are your only two viable options. We need to deliver within the next ten days and to give you some perspective, getting there on foot would take you at least two, if not three, weeks."

He looked over his shoulder to the two Tarkesh Ants, who were still silently and stoically listening to the conversation. "So let me ask you again and I don't care whether or not you like machines. You've got a job to do and you are in a position to control at least some of the variables. What do you want to go with? If you need more information before deciding, now is the time to ask me questions." He rubbed his eyes and leaned back in his char, deflating a bit as he did so.

DMFeel free to make Investigation and/or Perception rolls (or other if you see a fitting reason for them)

OOCI already love the energy and interaction, this is a lot of fun

Last edited by Thalric; 04-13-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Trumbold Handler
left-aligned image

Trumbold glanced at the mantid-kinden.
First he speaks a lot, now he's silent. I wonder if he's upset that we need to take a mechanical transport.
Though Trumbold couldn't quite fathom how someone would dislike a mechanical transport despite its conveniences, he didn't care to discuss such a thing right now.

It's still a train or an airship, then. But I already said what I thought, Trumbold mused, eying Sundai? and Alexandria, the moth-kinden who didn't seem to look as scornfully upon Trumbold or the other apt as moths usually did.
Of course, she could just be good at hiding it. Still, doesn't hurt to make a friendly gesture.

Trumbold coughed.
"If I may put it a bit bluntly...uh, well, I will, anyways. There's two of us who are apt and three who are inapt. I know I said what I thought, but now I don't think a group who is out of sorts is going to be much use if anything happens that requires, you know, quick action. So if it's got to be a train or an airship, I vote for, uhm, whichever one you three find least...bad. Mister Sundai, Miss Alexandria, and...I don't think I heard your name?"
Trumbold looked at the mantis-kinden inquisitively.
"What do you three think?"

Last edited by Discipulus; 04-13-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sundai Jikaru
left-aligned image

"Prince Sundai or just Jikaru if you please," the young dragonfly kinden said absent mindedly, his thoughts on other things.

"As I had said, the train is very easy to stop, derail, or attack. The airship travels a set and predictable route so it will also be vulnerable to ambush. Three of us can fly if there is an attack, however you and the Mantis kinden cannot although as an archer, he should be effective against an airborne assault and your smallbow there presumably could be of some help."

Despite 200 years of proof, like all archers, Jikaru is still skeptical of crossbows and other unreliable gadgetry. "

The other possiblity is a close quarters ambush. If that is the case, again, the airship gives us more room and manueverablility.
So, the only advantage of the train, then, is speed. Since the arrival of the cargo in either case is not a timing issue, the train might give anyone seeking to take this cargo less time to plan an assault but that seems a smaller advantage than those I have outlined.

So, I recommend the airship. "