twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 1st, 2020, 07:35 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 233
Goldmyr Goldmyr Goldmyr
As a teller in banking, my work has been deemed essential, and I'm still getting my full week of work. Most of our business comes in through the drive thru now. The lobby is closed except by appointment. We just try to stay positive amid the customer complaints. My wife is a teacher's aide and works has moved from working one on one with her student in the classroom to working one on one with her student online. Other than that, we haven't been affected to much. There was a week where we couldn't get the usual toilet paper or meat. The stores near us were still out of meat last time we went out shopping. We've living off spaghetti and take out, and I can't stand much more spaghetti.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 11:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14075
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
My life hasn't been disrupted too much. Homeschooling four kids is rough, especially when two have ADHD, but if anything I think it's given us a bit more time to do things we didn't have time for before. I'm blessed that my husband is able to work from home and I'm able to focus on the kids' schooling. I can't even imagine people who have to manage that on top of work - or those who are enduring the stress of not being able to go to work.

We only face two real struggles, the first being that we've very much outgrown our home and were looking to move this summer - but it's hard to tell where things are going with that. Six people practically tripping over eachother can be stressful at times.

The second is that my four year old has (suspected) selective mutism which is a social anxiety disorder. He goes to a special school to help him with it, but now that he's out I'm a bit worried that he's going to backslide with any progress that he's making.

Mostly, I worry about my parents. I do all of their shopping for them but my dad has to go to work regardless. As an auto mechanic he gets paid per job and I haven't been able to figure out yet if his lost income is covered with these new unemployment standards. My dad is diabetic and just had heart surgery, while my mom was hospitalized only a month ago with breathing/lung issues. It's pretty scary.

Other than that though, like Dirk said, none of my problems can compare to that blind woman - or even what many of you all (and others) are going through.

I hope everyone is able to stay safe and healthy out there <3
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 12:02 AM
Dice are now Fate Cubes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7373
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
I feel terrible for our son. Hes in preschool at a private school and his teacher is a literal saint. I dont think I was ever as excited to go to school as he is. With shelter at home going through april I doubt hell be going back at this point. We got a letter from her with a picture of the class teddy bear and an I miss you note.

Breaks my dang heart to see him get sad about that. Sorry needed a place to share. I'll gladly take any pain as a parent if it means not seeing that kind of disappointment.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 03:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18719
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Sorry Totentanzen. Seeing your kids hurting in any way is heartrending.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 04:49 PM
Is it zee or zed?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26293
Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11
That sucks, Totentanzen. I have kids and can sympathize with the comments. My daughter is learning French in a pre-kindergarden program and she misses her friends there and the teacher. She doesn't miss the French though. Lol. Anyways, her teacher called the other day to talk with her on the phone. It was supper nice.

All in all, I think we have a big advantage in Canada by not being so densely populated. That said, measures are increasing here fast too. Public spaces and gatherings have been canceled for a while. Fines are starting to be given for the dolts that don't listen. Hand sanitizer is missing from the shelves. Etc.

Family is good. Trips has been cancelled and work impacted but nothing we can't get over. Biggest thing is the kids activities. They are missing their karate, friend playdates and the events we take them to. They will be missing the park soon enough (especially since we can see it from our house). It's hard to keep 2 toddlers busy without stressing yourself out or leaving the house. We have sunk to letting them watch TV once in a while.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 03:02 AM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21153
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
I am going back to work on Monday after a 5 week staycation. I am a bus driver. I am almost certainly going to get this before its over since ventilation in our buses is terrible and we will not have any spit shields or barriers of any kind.

We went on strike a few years ago and a court ruled we were non-essential and could therefore go on strike... Apparently now we're essential...

I think this is far worse than the news is saying. It's pretty bad now and it will be worse when it shifts to bond to the CD122 receptor.

The discrepancy in the information is insane... 1 million cell phone users have vanished in China? I imagine many of those are people leaving populated urban centers to return home to rural areas but the urn sales suggest a death rate 10x higher than China reported... I heard from more and more sources that this is a bioweapon that got out... or was unleashed deliberately to destroy western economies...

Not sure what to believe, but I have to echo what was said before in this thread:

There is more going on than what they are saying.

My sister-in-law works at a hospital and she is terrified. Cases are piling in and they are running out of protective equipment. I fear we will all lose people before this is over and previous pandemics have been worse in successive years...

Stay safe, everyone.

- Lord Byron
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 07:53 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14012
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
For the most part, the epidemic hasn't hit me too hard.
  • Working third shift, most of the stores that were open late at night/early in the morning are now only open when I'm sleeping
  • My upcoming vacation got turned into a staycation, but I already planned for that when this pandemic first hit.
  • Found out the hard way that certain places are closing their lobby and expecting people to wait outside. I spent over 30 minutes outside in the cold with just a light jacket on at the Ford Dealership. At least there was a carport awning that I could huddle under out of the rain.
    • When I got home, I called them up and suggested they inform people who call in, that they will be standing outside. I was polite about it.
  • At work, everyone is supposed to sneeze/cough into their elbow now. A sneeze caught me off guard, and I sneezed downward out of habit. Got a talking too about it.
  • Everyone that I see is near panicking puts me on edge as I began to wonder when law and order will break down.
  • Oh, longer lines at the supermarket and they are out of kleenex as well as toilet paper.

For the most part, I just go to work and then go home and try not to think about it too much. I'm sure it will come to my neck of Michigan, and then I'll have something to worry about, so I try not to worry yet. I was well supplied on the White Gold already so I haven't had to worry about running out of but wipe
I am a bit worried as though I'm in relatively good health for someone in his late forties, I used to have chronic bronchitis until my mid-twenties, and I just don't know if that would make me susceptible to COVID or not. Anytime I began to worry too much, I remember a saying from 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'... "Don't Panic! And make sure you have your towel handy."

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Thu: Normal(ish) / Fri & Sat: Rairly Available

Last edited by Silk; Apr 3rd, 2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18719
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoByron View Post
I think this is far worse than the news is saying.
Nothing is ever far worse than the news is saying. For both ratings and agenda reasons, the news has no interest in presenting anything as less bad than it is.

About 0.12% of people in the country have or have had Coronavirus. 98% of them won't/didn't die from it.

One thing the media is doing to bang the panic drum is reporting on celebrity deaths from Coronavirus. The last one I read about was the woman who played Mrs. Kintner in Jaws (the mother of the boy who died at the beach). The press had to go to a 94-year old woman who had 2-3 lines in a movie from 45 years ago to bring you a "celebrity" death from Coronavirus. Think about that.
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 06:16 PM
Obviously Defective

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13042
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanzen View Post
I feel terrible for our son. Hes in preschool at a private school and his teacher is a literal saint. I dont think I was ever as excited to go to school as he is. With shelter at home going through april I doubt hell be going back at this point. We got a letter from her with a picture of the class teddy bear and an I miss you note.

Breaks my dang heart to see him get sad about that. Sorry needed a place to share. I'll gladly take any pain as a parent if it means not seeing that kind of disappointment.
As a fellow parent, I feel your pain there. My youngest has been taking it fairly well, and she's in a similar situation to yours. She has had two Zoom activities with her class (a scavenger hunt and "ninja lessons"), but otherwise has had no contact and both dearly misses her teachers and a few of the other kids. This was the one year we were sending her to the private school for improved socialization skills.

My oldest, however, is heartbroken. She is a dedicated youth ice hockey player, and her season had just ended two weeks before we went into lockdown. She doesn't understand why there's no ice to skate on. She gets it to an extent, but doesn't grasp economics to get that a rink can't be open for a handful of people and remain in business. It's her first year at a regular public school, and she's distraught that she can't see her new friends or her teacher, and she feels like she's "betraying" them when we ask her to do educational content that's in line with her ability because that's in a numerically higher grade level than she was participating in at the school.

It's rough. This is our 28/29th day at home (one kiddo got an extra day). We live in a small townhouse. All four of us share a single bedroom. There has been zero privacy and zero respite. Mrs Z has been working full time because she's "essential", but has the added task of being the one who has to organize and effect layoffs of large swathes of the staff. I can't even imagine how it is for those on the other end of that dynamic.

Los Angeles is doing pretty well, all things considered. Our megalopolis is massive. So much of it is spread over larger areas rather than stretching upwards. This affords us a great deal of ability to distance ourselves, even within an urban area. Our curve is looking to be flatter than originally anticipated, so much so that Stanford, USC, and the County of Los Angeles are doing studies on it, but it's looking like the curve may be long. We might not be spiking as much as NYC, but we're looking at months of the status quo, and while that is great for the mental/emotional fortitude of our health care workers and for the death count, it's psychologically trying on the rest of us stuck in our homes, chafing for normalcy.

Stay safe, people. Stay safe.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 01:22 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4606
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
I've sort of been avoiding this thread, but I'm in the midst of some serious moral distress at the moment, and I figured typing about it might help a bit. Sorry to those of you who really don't want to be reading this. I had to say it somewhere, and Facebook is filled with complete fools at the moment.

But this place, here? The strange and silly games I've jumped into? It's solace. It's respite. If I didn't have a few minutes each day to pretend to be someone else, somewhere else, I think maybe I'd go a little mad. It gets me out of bed, trudging up the steps to this ancient computer to type out posts and plan plots and build worlds. It keeps the depression and distress at bay, at least for a little while, at least enough to breathe.

So: Thanks, folks. I hope you stay healthy. I hope you find your happy.

Hope may be frail, but it's hard to kill.

Be solid. Be safe. Be well.

Last edited by BinnFord; Apr 11th, 2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1857
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
If you are one in a million in China, that means there are 1400 people just like you.
An oddly comforting thought, assuming you're in the right mindset.

Hate to be "that guy", but me and mine are coasting through this thing with no problems so far (knocks furiously on wood). My call center I work at switched to being an at-home gig, but I've been telling them for the two years I've worked there that they should've done that a long time ago to save money anyway!

My local stores in southern Ohio look like everyone else's; not much on the shelves unless you get creative about where you're going. We've had to switch from Cottonelle to Great Value, but we just use twice as much toilet paper as we once did.

The worst thing that's happened to me is that my DM from one of my games got the virus, and of course is not participating in any further games at the moment. I would hardly call that something that's happened to me though; thoughts and prayers for him would be most welcome, I'm sure.

EDIT: Your experiences should not be hidden behind a spoiler tag titled "word vomit", BinnFord. Your experiences are from a horrifying new perspective for many of us, and it's true some may not want to read such heavy material and appreciate a spoiler tag, but calling it "word vomit" seems to devalue your story somehow, in a sad way. It's definitely not word vomit. Those of us unsure of what to think about this virus are helped significantly with your vantage point... people like me who live in rural areas, who hopefully never see a person infected with Covid-19.

Also, thank you so much for the work you do. You and your family sacrifice much for the rest of us. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm not man enough to handle nursing, even on a good day, and so you have my respect.

Last edited by Crimson; Apr 11th, 2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 03:12 PM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13845
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
BinnFord, thank you. Just that, thank you.
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 02:24 AM
Era of Sponge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Cronofuego13 Cronofuego13
I'm good, Security work never stops, despite a pandemic. Trying to stay safe, but at least I don't deal with people.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 06:29 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 420
The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome
My life has been affected majorly in several ways.

1.) I care for my father in my home and he is at an elevated risk due to underlying health conditions, so every time I leave home to interact with the public, I inadvertently risk his health.
2.) My wife works in direct care working with clients at elevated risk, and is an essential worker as a result, but her employer doesn't do enough to get her team the backup they need so they can take time off to rest when they need to. Overworked, understaffed, as always... plus COVID-19.
3.) I work as an apprentice in construction electrical work, and due directly to impact 1, I cannot accept new jobs if they come up until my father's doctor says it would be safe for him to go out again.
4.) Due to store closures, my vape shop and all other vape shops is/are closed... so I am in the midst of a forced nicotine quit, and stuck at home with my family, so I'm driving them both crazy and visa-versa.

Stress... in a nut shell... is the impact of COVID-19 on my life.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 08:15 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69469
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Every state is different, and I know nothing about vaping... can you obtain anything at a Walmart or convenience store?