Game Thread Chapter 1: Welcome to Chult - Page 26 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Tomb of Annihilation
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #376  
Old May 2nd, 2020, 11:46 AM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2021
RPXP: 14985
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,036
The Morning of the Race - Unchained

left-aligned image
Click Me
(Race Day Vibes)
The shock of the attacks left a pall of tension cast over the rest of the evening and not much was said. Rael was soon tended and transported to the temple for healing. Scarback was pended and guards set about the stable. Once reunited at the baths where Morril made certain the triceratops got his promised jacuzzi despite Svaly's doubts, little was said. Shambala was like a pig in mud in the baths and the frollicking did lighten the mood momentarily, though concern for Brian's health cut the moment short as he was also escorted to the temple of Sune for healing and the baths were locked up for the night. Back in his pen watches were set and the night passed with an uneasiness, however, the group was not disturbed further and soon Shambala was snoring away happily, resting peacefully until dawn.

Race day had finally arrived. Last minute preparations were made and breakfast eaten. The streets were already buzzing before the rays of the morning sun licked the shadows with warm colour. Abassi was there, stone-faced and business-like. He made no mention of the fuss that had happened the day before, instead handing over the promised coin. "25 suns as agreed. Do your job. Make us all rich. I'll see you in the winner's circle." The betting would open an hour before the race start scheduled at the 19th bell when the sun was still high in the afternoon sky but the midday sting had gone from the heat. Dinos and their jockeys were expected to be at the starting line at 'Goldenthrone half a bell before start time.

The streets of Port Nyanzaru could alon be described as alive. There were people everywhere, the mood was festive. Tabaxi bards wandered the streets performing and playing music. Street Vendors clogged the sidewalks selling all sorts of temporary wares for race enthusiasts who would begin watching the smaller preliminary events that would begin after midday and run every bell after the 15th bell. The streets themselves had been painted bright colours, marking the racecourse clearly for the riders. For a moment the collective worries of the people of Port Nyanzaru were put aside and the people came together to celebrate and have a good time.

OODMIf you want to make any last minute preparations or take any specific actions before the race, now is the time. My next post will take us to the Start Line unless someone posts something that I feel requires a reply.


 


 

General Race MechanicsStages: Movement is abstract and the event will be some what loosely run with a cinematic rhythm. The riders go through one stage per round. All riders are considered to be in a clump and fairly close to each other throughout the race. Cool ideas are encouraged.
• “feet” of movement are tallied like “points”
• The race occurs in 8 stages, each in a different area of the city.
• At the end of the 8th stage, whoever has the most “feet” accumulated is the winner.

At each stage each rider makes an Animal Handling check. If the check succeeds the dino gains the first number listed as the dinosaur's speed to their running tally. On a failed check the tally does not increase.

A racer can try to move at the higher speed of the dinosaur by lashing the animal furiously. This grants advantage on the Animal Handling check, however a DC CON save must be made at the hend of the stage or the dino's speed is reduced by half for the rest of the race.
Dinosaur General Mechanics
Mount Speed Skill DC AC HP Atk Dmg CON
Young Allosaurus 50/80 16* 13 30 +6 1d10+3 15 (+2)
Ankylosaurus 40/60 12 12 24 +3 1d8+2 16 (+3)
Deinonychus 40/60 12* 13 26 +4 1d8+2 14 (+2)
Dimetrodon 3050 8 12 19 +3 2d6+1
Hadrosaurus 40/50 10 11 19 +3 1d10+1 13 (+1)
Young Triceratops 50/75 14 13 38 +5 1d10+1 15 (+2)
Young T-Rex 50/100 18* 13 46 +6 1d12+3 17 (+3)
* If an Animal Handling check made with Advantage due to lashing fails by 5 or more, the animal goes berserk and is out of the race      

Race Unchained: The race has been declared 'Unchained' - All types of dinosaurs compete (2 legged and 4 legged). Attacking another rider directly is against the rules (highly frowned upon). However the rules around dinosaurs attacking other dinosaurs is looser. Dinosaurs may attack each otherat the end of a stage if their tallies are within 50 of each other. If a dinosaur has half or fewer hps, Animal checks are made with Disadvantage.

Jumping on Another Dinosaur: Make a WIS (Animal Handling) check DC 10 to steady your mount. (Fail, you have disadvantage on the following check) Then make a DEX (Acrobatics) check DC 13 to land mounted on the other dinosaur. Fail: Make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground.

Casting Spells: If the spell requires somatic components, it requires a DC 13 CONcentration check. Fail: The spell is not cast, but is not lost.

Hanging From the Side of a Dinosaur: Riders who dangle are considered prone, and at the start of each of their following turns as a REACTION they can try a DC 10 STR check to get back into a proper riding position. They may also use their ACTION to try again if they fail.

Shambala
Mobile Shield Construction: 1/race Give Jockey advantage on a Save that could knock him off his mount. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Kyro's Doubt (set back): Any offensive actions by Kyro suffers DISADVANTAGE due to the challenges faced during training

Limited Patience (set back): Shambala is easily annoyed by a Blocker's offensive actions. Shambala makes a WIS save DC12 after any offensive action. A fail indicates Shambala tries to throw jockey and blocker: Both must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground but the Blocker (Kyro) suffers disadvantage.

Tail Flick: (Action) 2/Race: Direct Shambala's target at a chosen target. To choose a specific Dino a WIS (Animal Handling) check DC13 is required first. If this is not successful it will strike a randomly selected rider who is currently close enough: roll a d4 (1 is closest rider, 2 = 2nd closest, 3 = 3rd closest 4 = 4th closest). This special power can be used creatively to interact with the environment so long as it follows the Rule of Cool. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Balanced Jockey: Svaly release the reigns and regather them in order to use both hands. This may be used 1/Race to gain advantage on a roll. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Relaxed and Rested: The bath last night has Shambala in peak condition. Shambala's movement each stage gains a +5ft bonus. At the end of each round Shambala must make CON save. The DC of the save begins at DC 10 and increases by +1 at the end each stage.

Scarback
Fear of Fire: (set back): The fiery pen has left Scarback reacting badly to fire. Scarback immediately tries to throw jockey. Morril must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground but the reaction is violent and this save suffers disadvantage.

Restless Night: (set back): Scarback has had a restless night due to the sabotage and begins the race sluggishly. Scarback's movement each stage suffers a -10ft penalty. At the end of each round Shambala may make CON save. The DC of the save begins at DC 14 and decreases by -1 at the end each stage.

Rivalry with Ubtao's Favourite: Any stage in which Scarback starts more than 20ft behind Ubtao's Favourite, Scarback gains a +5ft movement bonus. 1/race (Action) If Scarback is within 10 ft of Ubtao's Favourite, Scarback can gain +10 movement collide with Ubtao's favourite hard enough to potentially throw his jockey. However Morril must also make a DC13 DEX save to remain mounted after the impact. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

A Champion's Instinct: 1/race: Scarback can neutralise any failed roll that would leave Morril dismounted, instead keeping her mounted and in a correct riding position.

Crowd Favourite: The crowd invigorates Scarback with their support: If Scarback is suffering the effects of exhaustion a Crowd Favour roll may be made. On a roll of 15+ the effect of the exhaustion suffered is neutralised for this stage. A rider may make a DC13 Persuasion/Performance check as an Action to gain this effect.

Veteran Mount: Scarback knows the course and mostly runs instinctively, leaving his rider more free to their own devices than most. 2/Race: Gain advantage while interacting with the environment so long as it follows the Rule of Cool. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

StomperDeep Connection: Tiffa's deep connection with Stomper allows the dino to push past the normal limits of other Ankylosaurs: +5ft base movement speed

Serenade the Beast: 2/Race Tiffa may use her flute to calm or inspire Stomper. Calm: Gain advantage on any animal handling check +Flute Proficiency Bonus. Inspire: Animal Handling DC12: Neutralise any half speed penalty that you may have suffered during this stage

Hatred of Thaumaturgy: (set back) From experiences during training Stomper has come to hate magic and reacts badly to it when it nears him. Stomper makes a WIS save DC12 after any encounter with magic. A fail indicates Stomper has tried to throw jockey and Tiffa must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground.

Thunderwave Acceleration: The spell Thunderwave can be used to spook Stomper into Acceleration mode, gaining +10 movement speed. At the end of each round Stomper must make CON save to maintain this effect. The DC of the save begins at DC 12 and increases by +1 at the end each stage. When this effect ends Stomper gains 1 Level of Exhaustion

Manouevrability: Stomper is good at avoiding obstacles: 1/Race gain advantage on a Save to Avoid an Obstacle. Roll 6 on a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Overtraining: (setback) Training was too intense and left Stomper exhausted.

Firewheat: The stolen Firewheat gives Stomper the pick me up he needs. Stomper ignores Exhaustion for the 1st 3 stages of the race automatically. At the end of stage 4 and every stage after Stomper must make a CON save to maintain the high. The DC begins at DC11 and increases by +1 every stage after stage 4.

Familiarity with Racecourse: Tiffa's famililarity with the racecourse allows her to try and take the best lines through the city possible. 2/Race Requires DC12 Animal Handling Check: Gain +5ft movement. Succeed by 5 or more: +10ft movement. Roll 6 on a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Amazing Paintjob: The beautiful paint design draws the favour of the crowd despite being a novice: The crowd invigorates Scarback with their support: If Scarback is suffering the effects of exhaustion a Crowd Favour roll may be made. On a roll of 15+ the effect of the exhaustion suffered is neutralised for this stage. A rider may make a DC13 Persuasion/Performance check as an Action to gain this effect.

Tiffa's Disguise: To see through Tiffa's skilled disguise requires an Insight roll vs her Deception 22

By Standers MechanicsAccess the Rooftops: Rooftops are 20 feet high. A successful DC 13 Strength (Athletics) check scales the wall of those buildings. Success by 5 or more indicates you climb ignoring difficult terrain. Failure by 5 or more indicates a fall from half the distance you climbed. Sskath knows the best places to get to the rooftops as easily at possible at each stage: She and anyone with her only have to make a DC10 STR (athletics) or DEX (acrobatics) check.

Keeping up with the Race: Keeping up with the race through the crowded streets is nearly impossible unless you use shortcuts and the city's rooftops. Requires a Survival (WIS or INT based) check DC15. A failure by 5 or less means you dont make it to the next stage but automatically make it to the stage after that. Using the Rooftops reduces the DC to 13. Failing a Rooftop survial check by 5 or more indicates somehing dangerous has occured that might end in a fall: make a DC13 DEX (acrobatics) check or fall 20ft to the ground and gain disadvantage on your next check to move to the next stage.

Tiring work: After moving from one stage to the next make a DC10 CON save. A fail indicates you are struggling to maintain the pace and suffer disadvantage on your next Keepin up check.

Photographic Memory of the City: Taurri knows the Port with photographic precision and is able to find the shortest route from A to Z at any given moment. Taurri and anyone with him has advantage on all checks to Keep up with the Race. He also locates himself precisely where the greatest threat of interference occur: Advantage on Insight/Perception/Investigation checks made during the race to discover threats.

Alert the Watch: (Action) Taurri knows the Watch locations about the race and can attempt to neutralise any race interference by alerting the Watch in a timely fashion. Requires a CHA (persuasion) check DC12. Anyone with Taurri can make this check in his place.

Stir Crowd Support: (Action) When present during one of the Stages of the Race, by standers may attempt to stir the crowd to support their chosen rider: Req. CHA (performance/persuasion) check DC13: chosen dino gains +5 movement this stage.

Interact with the Environment to Favour your Rider: (Action) When present during one of the Stages of the Race, by standers may attempt to interact with the environment in a way that favours their rider or harms other riders. Req. and appropriate DC13 check and must follow the Rule of Cool. After this check is made you must make a CHA (deception) or DEX (stealth) check in order to go unnoticed by the Watch. Taurri's knowledge of the watch grants him advantage on this check. He may grant it to anyone with him if he actively chooses to do so. A failure indicates the Watch has spotted your interference!

Race ProgressRace Progress Document
__________________
"Kill them all!"

Last edited by jbear; May 19th, 2020 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old May 3rd, 2020, 02:46 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 9032
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 3,266
It was the morning of the race, finally. Morril had spent the night sleeping light and dreamlessly, a sort of half-meditation that she fell into the night before a battle. She rose before dawn had fully broken, though the morning birds had begun their signing. The half-elf sat up in her bed, laid the rapier before her and took a deep breath. She had some preparations to attend to.

When she went downstairs to the increasingly rowdy common room, she had the rapier hanging from her hip still as well as a long, thin javelin. It was an odd design, particularly thin and spine-like, with glyphs engraved in the brassymetal. Reach would be of import today.

She smiled at the others as they came, inviting them to share in the breakfast that the tavern was serving. "We'll need our strength today." Outside the city streets sounded more colorful and lively than usual. Her expression sobered, though a small smile remained. "I expect sabotage. Stay alert." The harpshadow nodded to Sskath and Taurri. A clever pair, she was glad that they would have their eyes in the crowd.

Soon it was time to leave and Morril made her way down to the starting line area. She made sure to point out Rhuurk, the Book Maker, to the others. He was setting up his stalls like all the other betting houses. The harpshadow herself spoke with the aarakocra quietly to the side, handing him a heavy look satchel when she placed her own bet.




StatBlock
 

Last edited by Vislands; May 3rd, 2020 at 02:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old May 3rd, 2020, 08:45 AM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 25783
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,322
“Kyro”
left-aligned image
It was only a race... a frivolity... entertainment... but for these wretched people... it was important. Kyro stoically readied himself for the days events, determined to do his best. The tabaxi sat on his knees, his head bent as he intoned a meditation chant that would center his being and offer him the calmness of spirit and action that he would need this day.

Kyro was a samurai. The meaning of the word samurai was one who served and today the warrior would take one step closer to fulfilling his appointed mission... one step closer to chasing down this dreadful curse... even if it meant plunging into the dark jungle.

Kyro slowly combed out and rebraided his beard, his armor was rubbed down until it gave a pleasant sheen in the sun. His sword... the soul of the samurai, was edged with a fine stone until the blade could make the air, itself, bleed. Feeling confident that he would discharge his duties with the utmost discipline, the lynx stepped from his room and went to find his companions.

The warrior could only hope that Svaly and Shambala were as prepared. He came upon his compatriots and Morril spoke the obvious, "I expect sabotage. Stay alert."

"Of that, there is no doubt, Morril." Kyro said while patting his fine shield. "I will intercept any attack that comes my small friend's way. He will have a clear ride... I swear it."


OOC

Actions & Rolls
 

Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old May 4th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Silk's Avatar
Silk Silk is offline
Han Solo shot first!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2021
RPXP: 15634
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Posts: 6,117
Tiffa Anglan
right-aligned image
Tiffa, is she really red skinned?


Dawn was aswirl of activity as race day had finally arrived. A red-skinned Tiffa barely remembered eating let alone what it tasted like, and the anxiety of the previous day was a barely remembered blip in her memory as she raced to get ready in time. In short, Tiffa was acting like all teens do when excited about being in a big event, excited and running around in circles like a chicken with its head cut off. Seeing the stablehand Nathaniel waving her over, Tiffa paused only long enough to say, "I'll talk with you later, there is still so much to do!" Before she could run off the young boy smiled and said, "Like getting you painted to match Stomper?" Feeling pulled in several directions at once Tiffa let out an, "Ahhhhh!" before grabbing Nathaniel's hand and dragging him down the corridor with her, "That's right, I have to get painted!"

Eventually, Nathaniel led her to the correct room and cooled her horses by being as still as possible so the young boy could paint her face, arms, neck, and upper chest in the same pattern as Stomper. Tiffa's mind wandered as Nathaniel painted and slowly the girl calmed down, though, she still felt ready to burst with unspent energy it was manageable. When Nathaniel was done Tiffa tried to give him a hug but he windmilled away yelling, "The paint, the paint! It has to dry!" Epping sorry she left him to clean up his painting utensils with his words following her out, "And whatever you do, don't scratch. It'll flake off." Tiffa spent the remainder of her time with Stomper in the paddock and Nathaniel came out to see if the Ankylosaurs needed a touchup on his paint job too. She looked over Stomper and knew her paint job mirrored the dinos. With mostly blues around the midsection, neck, and spiked tail, the designs reminiscent of the roiling waves that had brought Tiffa to these shores, and the legs painted with rust-reds, browns, and white in designs that looked like silhouettes of a cheering crowd, Stomper was a true piece of art. The head was also painted with stunning triangular blue shapes reminiscent of the Beggar Kings twin Ziggurats, the eyes, however, were encircled with striking reds, browns, and whites which gave the impression of being two beating hearts at the center of each ziggurat. Briefly, Tiffa wondered if she looked just as good and wanted to go find a mirror but the thought came too late. For it was time.

left-aligned image
Stomper

Ready or not, there was a race to win. Pulling out her copper flute, Tiffa tied a bit of twine around it and hung the instrument around her neck. She may need it during the race to calm Stomper but Tiffa was not going to chance losing the last gift from her mother. As she mounted the big Ankylosaurs, thoughts of her mother filled her mind. 'I will win this competition, fund the expedition, and find a cure to bring her back!' It was almost painful to smile having remembered why she was here and so, not wishing to ruin Nathaniel's excellent paint job with tears, Tiffa picked up her flute and played an uplifting song to buoy her spirits and the crowd around her as Stomper carried her through the streets. In her joy of the moment, Tiffa completely forgot that Michail, the Beggar King had enchanted it. So as she played, illusions of spectral dancer's, butterflies, and colorful birds followed Stomper and her down the road to the race.







 

Tiffa's Character Sheet
__________________

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: On Vacation and Behind on everything! / Fri & Sat: Rairly Available

Last edited by Silk; May 4th, 2020 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old May 5th, 2020, 07:58 PM
Insacrum's Avatar
Insacrum Insacrum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 11376
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Posts: 12,519
Taurri Stellaur
right-aligned image
Taurri was not one for morning. His joints were always stiff, and the scarred skin from his earlier burns stretched too tight. He always needed to work through the joints and muscles every day in order to relieve the pain. And once that was done, it was now a matter of researching his tome of magical understandings for the day.

Dressed, read, and fed, Taurri took to the streets after his group looking to prepare for the big race that the group had somehow managed to find themselves a part of. Taurri's first stop was to one of the gambling houses. Knowing that they in fact had two animals in the race made his choices a bit more difficult to pick from. Not wanting to slight either of them, he decided that it would be best to choose both of them, and not chose to win, but at least show. With his wagering done, Taurri moved on to his next duties for the day.

With Svaly, Morril, and Kyro mounted, or getting ready to mount, and ride their respective lizards, Taurri knew it was up to him and Sskath to provide a clean race for them, at least from the outside. Knowing that they had little time, Taurri bid Sskath follow him in locating their first position of interest. The first place that Taurri suspects the possibility of sabotage. But it was also a place were a good crowd had gathered. Perhaps there would be other ways to affect the race, ways that would be "legal" and wouldn't require direct involvement within the path of the thunderous beasts.

oocNot sure how much Breakfast will cost me... But give me a numbers... I assume several copper, or a silver.

I'm trying to go for a "show" bet (top 3). I assume that the payout would be 1/3rd, so I'm wagering 3GP each on Shambala and Scarback, expecting to receive the payment for 1GP. So if Shambala gets top 3, I get my wager plus 5 (8GP total back), and if Scarback places top 3, I would get my wager plus 2 back (5 GP), and if Both are in the top 3, then I would get 13GP back for my 6GP wager.

Not sure if you want a perception check or not yet for the first location, but here is one in case you do:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1 (1)+1 Total = 2
(2)

Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old May 6th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Berith Berith is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 13301
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Posts: 5,506
Sskath Yiskah
right-aligned image
Finally, the day of the race dawned. Sskath slept until well past sunup, the fight the day before having drained her more than she cared to admit. She descended from her room to find the city abuzz like she had never seen it before. Though Sskath had nothing but disdain for this race and was frustrated at the delay, she saw clearly how important this even was to a massive number of people...including her comrades. She couldn't understand why they had embraced this distraction so, but that they had done so wholeheartedly was more than apparent.

The earlier risers were finishing their morning meals when Sskath joined them. "I expect sabotage," were Morril's final words. "Stay alert." Sskath nodded. [We'll do our best,[/say] she replied. "Ride easy," the priestess suggested. "Let the dinosaur lead. We will do our part to help." Then she squeezed the tall fey-blood's shoulder one time in appreciation before seeking out her true target.

"Wizard," she said by way of greeting to Taurri. "We have studied this foul city as best we can. Let us take to the rooftops and Assume Sskath will cast Guidance on all skill checks & saves whenever possible, Elonast will scout & surveil when possibledo what we can to assist."

OOC
 


 

__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Berith; May 6th, 2020 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old May 12th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 25405
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 19,358
Svaly Cliffrock
right-aligned image


Svaly was up before the crack of dawn doing his own exercises to get ready for the day. Stretching side to side, doing various poses like head-stands, or balancing on one foot while extending both arms in different directions, intermixed with push-ups and sit-ups. It was a normal routine for a Monk to go through. Today, Svaly did it more to calm his own nerves than anything else. Something repetitive and known. Lastly, he took a deep breath and sat in a moment of meditation for a few minutes before wrapping up. "Today is the day," Svaly said when finished, trying to remain calm.

At the gates, everyone started talking about Sabotage. "Why would we expect sabotage? It isn't like everywhere we have gone in this awful city, someone hasn't been laying in wait to try and kill us," he responded sarcastically. Of course, it seemed sabotage was the norm, rather than the exception here. There was a reason they had prepared as much as they could the days before, trying to be ready for such an inevitability. He then whispered to his mount, "Don't worry Shamby, we think you are a winner no matter what happens." He patted the mount calmly on the neck, before bracing himself for the start of the race.

Whatever was about to come, Svaly knew he had to stay focused, They would need to be quick, both on their feet and with their whit. Hopefully, with all of their preparation, and with a little luck, they just might pull out something miraculous today.




 
__________________
Always taking new players for City of Endless Arenas
Characters: Saber - Svaly Contact: dmbhelogan@gmail.com - Check out: My Map Tutorials
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old May 23rd, 2020, 06:50 AM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2021
RPXP: 14985
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,036
Breakfast hand been a fine fare. The tavern owner was beaming at the group and breakfast was brought to tables before anything had even been ordered. It was a delicious spread. When matters of payment were brought up, the tavern owner just grinned at waved them off, saying it was on the house for those who stood up for the people of the Port against pirates.

The bookmaker stalls were busy, each bookmaker running several stalls at once so underlings could take as many bets as possible as quickly as possible. The bets were written up on great chalk boards and assigned a number. Money was handed over in exchange for a special copper token with the same number as the bet engraved into it. Rhurrk saw Morril waiting in line and waved her over to take her bet personally. The harpshadow could see that the odds on Shambala were not 1/5 as he would write up on the chalk board but rather an even 1/1. The jockey given was written next to Shambala's name was 'The Pirate Hunters'. Even a casual glance up at the boards showed that there was quite a bit of interest on that bet for a complete novice. Pirate Hunter was also marked as the jockey next to Scarback who was included as 'late entry'. Being that Taurri was with Morril as Rhurrk handed over her copper token with her bet number 377 engraved on it, the gnome was able to make his case with the bookmaker directly and not an underling. Taurri was fairly sure that the avian raised the bird equivalent of an eyebrow at his 'Top 3' bet. Rhurrk looked back over at Morril before returning his eagle eyes onto Taurri. "Top three for one third, krakatet... it's not how we do things here, kreee. For the Pirate Hunters Rhurrk will make the exception, karakaa." Rhurrk took Taurri's coin and handed him a copper token with the number 400 marked on it. He wrote the number up on the board but wrote only PH beside it. "This one Rhurrk will remember, krakatet" the aarakockra finished tapping the side of his own skull.

 

right-aligned image
Kwayothe
Taurri and Sskath hurried through the crowd to try position themselves strategically with a great viewpoint of the start of the race where they might be able to interfere with any direct interference. That meant heading to the rooves and it was clear from the swarming crowd, they were not the only ones who had the notion to get a good view of the start of the race. Goldenthrone, the seat of political power of the Port was a magnificent domed building painted with stunning patterns of many bright colours. As the riders took their position atop their steeds they looked up at the open terrace of Goldenthrone where the merchant princes sat in their fine robes. Next to a strapping man with a neatly kept beard sat the silver masked Lady Sylvane, who gave what seemed an approving nod down at Svaly and Morril when their eyes came to rest upon her. Behind lady Sylvane stood the priestess who had travelled with the group into the lich's lair, Kyle Morgan. Her heavy armour had been replaced with flowing robes in the style of Sune. Her lips moved as though in prayer. There was no sign of the mighty half orc Korr who had also left to escort Lady Sylvane's entourage to meet with Prince Otamu, perhaps too brutish to be given access to such fine company. Princess Jessamine was also present, only her eyes visible behind a heavy veil, although the group knew her truly to be Jazmine, Jessamine's daughter acting in her mother's stead. However it was another stunningly beautiful woman who stood to get the race underway, the Princess Kwayothe. Gliding to the front and standing before a large conch shell, Kwoyothe's words carried out over the crowd with crystal clarity, quieting the excitement to a hush immediately as she began to present the jockeys of the race.

left-aligned image
Kwiglok
"Today's last race. The main event we have all been waiting is Unchained. Our first rider is no stranger to any of you! A perrenial champion returning to ride one of Nyanzaru's most talented dino's, Deadly Treasure, he is the Calm in the Storm, the tortle Master of Zen, the one, the only Kwiglok!" The crowd went wild as powerful t-rex painted fiery reds like an erupting volcano, carrying forward sleepy eyed, reptilian faced, shellbacked humanoid sitting on his saddle crosslegged yet somehow in perfect balance.

right-aligned image
Callous
"And who might challenge Kwiglok's return to glory if not the mighty tritop and victor of many races, Ubtao's Favourite, ridden by the Lady of Pain herself, Callous!" A lean, well muscled triceratops trotted forward, painted with dark greys and blacks of spiralling maze-like patterns over its scales. His rider was a swarthy half elf woman who sat atop her mount stone-faced, her eyes cold and unmoved as she raised a fist to the cheers and applause of the crowd.

The other riders were introduced one by one and paraded before the cheering crowd. Tyriki, Prince Ekene-Afa, the former gladiator's son,' was a wiry lad of no more than 15 years of age and this was to be his first ride apparently atop a hadrosaur painted bright yellows. A growling snapping allosaur, Batton Down the Hatches, carried a tiny rider named Dark who was wearing a dark hood and metallic mask that made her face appear as though it were a hideous skinless skull. A scarred albino dwarf, Canker Keel, made quite the pre show spinning his stegosaurus, Juicey Steaks, around in circles to the delight of the crowd. The allosaurus Nasty Boy was ridden by shirtless Chultan named Dylan, who looked to be all business, his well muscled frame painted flaming orange to match his mount. A rather hapless rider named Steve had quite the time getting his Jungle Princess to even take centre stage as the young two legged deinonychus shyed away from the noisy crowd much to their amusement. But it was the two tabaxi, Faroul and Gondolo, who the group would recognise from a paintings of guide advertisements, which drew the most laughter as they brought a rather old and plodding triceratops forward only to let a tremendously loud explosion of flatulence rip the air, much to the crowd's delight.

Tiffa's Stomper was called forward without much fanfare. "Many new riders join out Unchained race today to test the best. Give it up for young Stomper and his jockey!" Shambala received a great deal more hoopla as the dinosaur was introduced as being jockeyed by '...Nyanzaru's slayers of brigands, scourge of reavers,our very own Pirate Hunters riding a new comer Shambala. Let them feel your love!" And loved they felt for the crowd went absolutely ballistic with the cheers and applause. "Last but certainly not least, we have a treat, a most wonderful surprise. Returning as a last minute entry is one of Nyanzaru's favourite sons, Scarback! Left riderless Scar was withdrawn from contention. But who other than another of the Port's fearless Pirate Hunters would take to the saddle to give beloved Scarback one last ride! Give your thanks to Morril!" Somehow the crowd's cheering became even more enthusiastic.

Kwayothe finished by pointing out the track painted on the ground, briefly going over the rules and calling for a good clean but exciting race. She wished the riders luck, hefting the sack of gold the winner of the race would earn before urging them to take the line. Starting positions were taken up and Princess Kwayothe raised her hand. A golden trumpet sounded and Kwayothe dropped a bright blue silken flag which fluttered from the terrace down to the ground.

left-aligned image
Click Me
(Get Set! GO!)
The race had begun! The pack of dino's stampeded forward, heading onto an elevated walkway above the Merchant’s Ward, where a throng of people cheered from below.

Stage 1: Goldenthrone BridgePushing Riders Off the Bridge:
Riders can make an opposed strength check to try to knock one another off their dinosaur. The loser of the opposed strength roll must make a DC 10 Dexterity save or fall off the bridge into the crowd below. Anyone who falls over the side of the bridge takes d6 damage, as the crowd catches them and mostly breaks their fall. The citizens quickly set up a tall ladder, which allows the rider to climb up and get back in the race, but can gain only half their minimum speed in this stage.

Terrified by the sound of the horn, Jungle Princess had torn off to a good start, a hapless Steve hanging onto his mount for dear life, eyes closed in fear. Steve had good reason to fear, for it was Deadly Treasure who thundered close behind Steve, swiftly regaining the momentarily lost ground. As Deadly Treasure moved passed Kwiglok's body shifted weight to one side, his heavy shell barging into Steve's shoulder as the dinos ran side by side for a heartbeat. Steve flew from his saddle and out over the side of the bridge only to be caught safely in the arms of the expectant crowd, the wind knocked out of him. A ladder was hoisted and poor Steve hurried to climb back towards the bridge to remount, now trailing the pack. Ironically, riderless, Jungle Princess had pulled up and gotten completely tangled with Deadly Treasure, who stumbled badly, the tortle off-balance from his sneaky push was unable to right his t-rex properly, skidding forward on its face and taking precious moments to get back to his feet and continue the race, much to the surprise of the gasping crowd who had not expected to see the race favourite take such a slide in just the first moments of the race.

On the other side of the bridge, the stegosaurus Juicy Steaks had taken the lead, having been first to move from the line a moment before the horn had sounded. From either side, Juicy Steaks was run down by the quicker steads Ubtao's Favourite and the brightly painted hadrosaur Banana Candy. Neither looked happy about the stinky spray of mist that Juicy Steaks' albino dwarven rider had left in his wake at the start line, both intent on sending the man over the side of the bridge. Canker Keel, however, was a genuine veteran and had more than enough tricks up his sleeve, yanking back hard on the reigns to break Juicy Steaks forward motion suddenly. Young Tyriki's shove instead found a very surprised Callous caught completely off guard, and suddenly the half-elf jockey was sailing over the edge of the bridge into the arms of the awaiting crowd below. Furious, Callous flew up the swiftly placed ladder and leapt back onto Ubtao's Favourite who had halted to ait for his rider like a well-trained dino should. Ubtao's Favourite, however, received a furious lashing from Callous as the half-elf determined to recover lost ground.

Down the middle of the bridge the two allosaurs jockeyed for position. The snarling snapping Batton Down the Hatches and her skull faced rider came off best in the exchange as the bare-chested Dylan was lifted from Nasty Boy's saddle by Batton Down the Hatches bucking head. Dylan arched his body back and turned his fall into a superb summersault, his arms reaching out and catching the back of Shambala's saddle, and immediately exploding up to grab Kyro's shoulders before losing his grip and tumbling to the ground. Dylan did not hesitate, immediately leaping back towards Nasty Boy's saddle and catching it to try to hang onto the side as Shambala thundered past the slowing allosaur. However, Dylan's use of Kyro's shoulders to steady himself left the tabaxi unbalanced and in danger of falling over the edge of the bridge himself as Shambala rumbled on, oblivious to Kyro's predicament.

The other riders used the chaos to run on and vie for a top spot through the first stage, Zongo and his two tabaxi riders taking the lead in a hail of might rear end wind left in the flatulent triceratop's wake, with Batton Down the Hatches shoulder to shoulder, young Tyriki on Banana Candy close behind and Ubtao's Favourite closing in.

OODMYou are up! Please make your Animal Handling check for Stage 1 to determine how many feet you gain
and make any special action that you like for this first stage.

Spectators please make the relevant rolls to get into the position that you described you wished to put yourselves in last post using the spectators rules and take any particular action that you determine fits the situation and proceed to make an attempt to each the second stage of the race if you wish to be able to be active there also.


 



 

General Race MechanicsStages: Movement is abstract and the event will be some what loosely run with a cinematic rhythm. The riders go through one stage per round. All riders are considered to be in a clump and fairly close to each other throughout the race. Cool ideas are encouraged.
• “feet” of movement are tallied like “points”
• The race occurs in 8 stages, each in a different area of the city.
• At the end of the 8th stage, whoever has the most “feet” accumulated is the winner.

At each stage each rider makes an Animal Handling check. If the check succeeds the dino gains the first number listed as the dinosaur's speed to their running tally. On a failed check the tally does not increase.

A racer can try to move at the higher speed of the dinosaur by lashing the animal furiously. This grants advantage on the Animal Handling check, however a DC CON save must be made at the hend of the stage or the dino's speed is reduced by half for the rest of the race.
Dinosaur General Mechanics
Mount Speed Skill DC AC HP Atk Dmg CON
Young Allosaurus 50/80 16* 13 30 +6 1d10+3 15 (+2)
Ankylosaurus 40/60 12 12 24 +3 1d8+2 16 (+3)
Deinonychus 40/60 12* 13 26 +4 1d8+2 14 (+2)
Dimetrodon 3050 8 12 19 +3 2d6+1
Hadrosaurus 40/50 10 11 19 +3 1d10+1 13 (+1)
Young Triceratops 50/75 14 13 38 +5 1d10+1 15 (+2)
Young T-Rex 50/100 18* 13 46 +6 1d12+3 17 (+3)
* If an Animal Handling check made with Advantage due to lashing fails by 5 or more, the animal goes berserk and is out of the race      

Race Unchained: The race has been declared 'Unchained' - All types of dinosaurs compete (2 legged and 4 legged). Attacking another rider directly is against the rules (highly frowned upon). However the rules around dinosaurs attacking other dinosaurs is looser. Dinosaurs may attack each otherat the end of a stage if their tallies are within 50 of each other. If a dinosaur has half or fewer hps, Animal checks are made with Disadvantage.

Jumping on Another Dinosaur: Make a WIS (Animal Handling) check DC 10 to steady your mount. (Fail, you have disadvantage on the following check) Then make a DEX (Acrobatics) check DC 13 to land mounted on the other dinosaur. Fail: Make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground.

Casting Spells: If the spell requires somatic components, it requires a DC 13 CONcentration check. Fail: The spell is not cast, but is not lost.

Hanging From the Side of a Dinosaur: Riders who dangle are considered prone, and at the start of each of their following turns as a REACTION they can try a DC 10 STR check to get back into a proper riding position. They may also use their ACTION to try again if they fail.

Shambala
Mobile Shield Construction: 1/race Give Jockey advantage on a Save that could knock him off his mount. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Kyro's Doubt (set back): Any offensive actions by Kyro suffers DISADVANTAGE due to the challenges faced during training

Limited Patience (set back): Shambala is easily annoyed by a Blocker's offensive actions. Shambala makes a WIS save DC12 after any offensive action. A fail indicates Shambala tries to throw jockey and blocker: Both must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground but the Blocker (Kyro) suffers disadvantage.

Tail Flick: (Action) 2/Race: Direct Shambala's target at a chosen target. To choose a specific Dino a WIS (Animal Handling) check DC13 is required first. If this is not successful it will strike a randomly selected rider who is currently close enough: roll a d4 (1 is closest rider, 2 = 2nd closest, 3 = 3rd closest 4 = 4th closest). This special power can be used creatively to interact with the environment so long as it follows the Rule of Cool. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Balanced Jockey: Svaly release the reigns and regather them in order to use both hands. This may be used 1/Race to gain advantage on a roll. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Relaxed and Rested: The bath last night has Shambala in peak condition. Shambala's movement each stage gains a +5ft bonus. At the end of each round Shambala must make CON save. The DC of the save begins at DC 10 and increases by +1 at the end each stage.

Scarback
Fear of Fire: (set back): The fiery pen has left Scarback reacting badly to fire. Scarback immediately tries to throw jockey. Morril must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground but the reaction is violent and this save suffers disadvantage.

Restless Night: (set back): Scarback has had a restless night due to the sabotage and begins the race sluggishly. Scarback's movement each stage suffers a -10ft penalty. At the end of each round Shambala may make CON save. The DC of the save begins at DC 14 and decreases by -1 at the end each stage.

Rivalry with Ubtao's Favourite: Any stage in which Scarback starts more than 20ft behind Ubtao's Favourite, Scarback gains a +5ft movement bonus. 1/race (Action) If Scarback is within 10 ft of Ubtao's Favourite, Scarback can gain +10 movement collide with Ubtao's favourite hard enough to potentially throw his jockey. However Morril must also make a DC13 DEX save to remain mounted after the impact. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

A Champion's Instinct: 1/race: Scarback can neutralise any failed roll that would leave Morril dismounted, instead keeping her mounted and in a correct riding position.

Crowd Favourite: The crowd invigorates Scarback with their support: If Scarback is suffering the effects of exhaustion a Crowd Favour roll may be made. On a roll of 15+ the effect of the exhaustion suffered is neutralised for this stage. A rider may make a DC13 Persuasion/Performance check as an Action to gain this effect.

Veteran Mount: Scarback knows the course and mostly runs instinctively, leaving his rider more free to their own devices than most. 2/Race: Gain advantage while interacting with the environment so long as it follows the Rule of Cool. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

StomperDeep Connection: Tiffa's deep connection with Stomper allows the dino to push past the normal limits of other Ankylosaurs: +5ft base movement speed

Serenade the Beast: 2/Race Tiffa may use her flute to calm or inspire Stomper. Calm: Gain advantage on any animal handling check +Flute Proficiency Bonus. Inspire: Animal Handling DC12: Neutralise any half speed penalty that you may have suffered during this stage

Hatred of Thaumaturgy: (set back) From experiences during training Stomper has come to hate magic and reacts badly to it when it nears him. Stomper makes a WIS save DC12 after any encounter with magic. A fail indicates Stomper has tried to throw jockey and Tiffa must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground.

Thunderwave Acceleration: The spell Thunderwave can be used to spook Stomper into Acceleration mode, gaining +10 movement speed. At the end of each round Stomper must make CON save to maintain this effect. The DC of the save begins at DC 12 and increases by +1 at the end each stage. When this effect ends Stomper gains 1 Level of Exhaustion

Manouevrability: Stomper is good at avoiding obstacles: 1/Race gain advantage on a Save to Avoid an Obstacle. Roll 6 on a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Overtraining: (setback) Training was too intense and left Stomper exhausted.

Firewheat: The stolen Firewheat gives Stomper the pick me up he needs. Stomper ignores Exhaustion for the 1st 3 stages of the race automatically. At the end of stage 4 and every stage after Stomper must make a CON save to maintain the high. The DC begins at DC11 and increases by +1 every stage after stage 4.

Familiarity with Racecourse: Tiffa's famililarity with the racecourse allows her to try and take the best lines through the city possible. 2/Race Requires DC12 Animal Handling Check: Gain +5ft movement. Succeed by 5 or more: +10ft movement. Roll 6 on a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Amazing Paintjob: The beautiful paint design draws the favour of the crowd despite being a novice: The crowd invigorates Scarback with their support: If Scarback is suffering the effects of exhaustion a Crowd Favour roll may be made. On a roll of 15+ the effect of the exhaustion suffered is neutralised for this stage. A rider may make a DC13 Persuasion/Performance check as an Action to gain this effect.

Tiffa's Disguise: To see through Tiffa's skilled disguise requires an Insight roll vs her Deception 22

By Standers MechanicsAccess the Rooftops: Rooftops are 20 feet high. A successful DC 13 Strength (Athletics) check scales the wall of those buildings. Success by 5 or more indicates you climb ignoring difficult terrain. Failure by 5 or more indicates a fall from half the distance you climbed. Sskath knows the best places to get to the rooftops as easily at possible at each stage: She and anyone with her only have to make a DC10 STR (athletics) or DEX (acrobatics) check.

Keeping up with the Race: Keeping up with the race through the crowded streets is nearly impossible unless you use shortcuts and the city's rooftops. Requires a Survival (WIS or INT based) check DC15. A failure by 5 or less means you dont make it to the next stage but automatically make it to the stage after that. Using the Rooftops reduces the DC to 13. Failing a Rooftop survial check by 5 or more indicates somehing dangerous has occured that might end in a fall: make a DC13 DEX (acrobatics) check or fall 20ft to the ground and gain disadvantage on your next check to move to the next stage.

Tiring work: After moving from one stage to the next make a DC10 CON save. A fail indicates you are struggling to maintain the pace and suffer disadvantage on your next Keepin up check.

Photographic Memory of the City: Taurri knows the Port with photographic precision and is able to find the shortest route from A to Z at any given moment. Taurri and anyone with him has advantage on all checks to Keep up with the Race. He also locates himself precisely where the greatest threat of interference occur: Advantage on Insight/Perception/Investigation checks made during the race to discover threats.

Alert the Watch: (Action) Taurri knows the Watch locations about the race and can attempt to neutralise any race interference by alerting the Watch in a timely fashion. Requires a CHA (persuasion) check DC12. Anyone with Taurri can make this check in his place.

Stir Crowd Support: (Action) When present during one of the Stages of the Race, by standers may attempt to stir the crowd to support their chosen rider: Req. CHA (performance/persuasion) check DC13: chosen dino gains +5 movement this stage.

Interact with the Environment to Favour your Rider: (Action) When present during one of the Stages of the Race, by standers may attempt to interact with the environment in a way that favours their rider or harms other riders. Req. and appropriate DC13 check and must follow the Rule of Cool. After this check is made you must make a CHA (deception) or DEX (stealth) check in order to go unnoticed by the Watch. Taurri's knowledge of the watch grants him advantage on this check. He may grant it to anyone with him if he actively chooses to do so. A failure indicates the Watch has spotted your interference!

Race ProgressRace Progress Document
__________________
"Kill them all!"

Last edited by jbear; May 28th, 2020 at 11:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:57 PM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 9032
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 3,266
Morril was mounted on Scarback, readying herself for the start of the unchained race. The beast seemed a bit weary, which concerned her. Perhaps the excitement of the day before had preventing the beast from resting well. The harpshadow patted his scaly hide with sympathy, making a note to herself to not push her mount too hard.

Then, it was time.

They were all lined at the starting point and the announcements were mad. The tension in the air was palatable, with Morril herself coiled and ready to spring into action at any moment. The spared one last look to her companions, giving Kyro and Svaly a nod, then found the dinosaur named Stomper and his mysterious jockey. It had not been hard to find out, from the crowd, which dino that was.

The final annoucements were made. Morril gripped Scarback's reigns, her eyes eagle-focused on the road ahead of her. *Too-too-too-too-toooooom!* The trumpet sounded, the flag fluttered down and they were off! Almost immediately the clean lanes that each dino inhabited at the starting line dissolved, as the huge, scaly beasts began to collide with each other and jockey for position. Morril saw one or two riders fall, but she tried her best to guide Scarback away from the melee and through the bridge.

Shockingly, the beast seemed to listen to her as it sprang forward, weaving its way towards the front of the pack, while showing little interest in the fighting. Morril reached for some magic, intended to impress the crowd, but her ring only feels cool against her skin. Riding Scarback, it was clear that it was a beast of most superior stock, well-trained and focused. He seemed to be racing almost on his own. All Morril could as the wind whipped past her was hold on to the reins, and brace for the inevitable attacks of those behind her.

Race MechanicsMorril rolled an 18 on her animal handling check. She then attempted to use the Raven's Cold Iron Ring, but failed. Scarback failed his first Restless Night save.
Rolls here.


StatBlock
 

Last edited by Vislands; May 23rd, 2020 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old May 24th, 2020, 02:09 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 25783
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,322
“Kyro”
left-aligned image
For whatever Kyro thought he had been training for… it was not this. He was wholly unprepared for the explosion of violence that broke out with the commencement of the race. The tabaxi had sat stoically during the tedious introduction, his shield strapped to his arm and resting against his thigh as he bounced about on the back of shambala. Kyro fiddled with his makeshift harness, proud of its design and hoping, if he was honest, not to have to rely on it.

That was not to be the case however as within moments of the race starting, Kyro was blindsided by an attempt to unseat him and send him plummeting to the ground below where there was a real danger of being trampled to death. The samurai had seen the orange hued jockey fall and while impressed with the man’s agility, Kyro did not hesitate to slam his shield on the man’s fingers when he tried to latch onto Kyro’s saddle.

If the man’s plan was to unseat Kyro, he was sorely disappointed as the only thing that tumbled off of Shambala was the Chultan himself.

“Go Svaly!” Kyro yelled into his partner’s ear as he surveyed the living wreckage all around him. He did not see anyone nearby that would warrant an offensive opportunity. Better to bide his time… he knew that the time would come soon enough.

OOC athletics check vs grab: 19

Actions & Rolls
 

Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old May 25th, 2020, 01:31 PM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 25405
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 19,358
Svaly Cliffrock
right-aligned image


“Go Svaly!” Kyro yelled.

"Ahh, yea! Go Shammy!" Svaly cheered out, adrenaline rushing through him. The excitement of the crowd and their adoration of the 'Pirate Hunter' had amped up the little halfling more than he had felt in a long time. Luckily, all that energy didn't' cause Svaly to lock up. Nor did Shambala, as they jumped out incredibly quickly. Good start to the race indeed it was! Hopefully luck would be on their side, and fortune would continue to aid them through the race.

"Keep that up Kyro! Defense might be the best offense early on," Svaly called out. Indeed, if every attack against them would only fair as poorly as Dylan's just had, then they might not have to do much other than focus on keeping the course, and keeping their seats. Of course, Svaly doubted that it would be the case, but he wasn't about to complain about their great start.



OOCAnimal Handling Check for Sate 1: 22
Shambala - Con check - Relaxed and Rested DC 10: 12


 
__________________
Always taking new players for City of Endless Arenas
Characters: Saber - Svaly Contact: dmbhelogan@gmail.com - Check out: My Map Tutorials

Last edited by Bhelogan; May 26th, 2020 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old May 25th, 2020, 08:52 PM
Silk's Avatar
Silk Silk is offline
Han Solo shot first!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2021
RPXP: 15634
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Posts: 6,117
Tiffa Anglan
right-aligned image
Tiffa, is she really red skinned?


As she reached the starting line, Tiffa absently scratched at the blue paint, revealing her red skin underneath before remembering she was not to scratch it. Worriedly, she looked around for the people that tried to capture her last night but couldn't see them. What she did see was a multitude of pedestrians favoring Stomper's pain job. 'I'll have to remember to thank Nathanial again.' Waving at the crowd, Tiffa soon lost herself in enjoying all the attention. This was more excitement than the young backwoods girl could ever remember having experienced. By the time the race was about to start, Tiffa had almost forgotten why she was there and was just excited to be in the race.

Once the race did start, Tiffa was startled by all the shoving but surprisingly avoided most of it herself. She had walked the course, and it was a long run and had decided on a cautious course of action for the first leg of the race. Sure, she could get stomper running ahead of the pack right out of the gate, but then he would be tired before they got close to the finish line. The one thing Tiffa had decided was that she would win this race at all costs, but that did not mean she couldn't be smart about it. Up ahead, the cat person that had remembered her from the house fire was fighting to keep himself from being unseated. "Come on, Stomper, let's leave the kitty in the dust." Tiffa guided the big dino to the right side, where she remembered the road was smoother.




 
 

Tiffa's Character Sheet
__________________

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: On Vacation and Behind on everything! / Fri & Sat: Rairly Available

Last edited by Silk; Jun 2nd, 2020 at 02:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old May 27th, 2020, 09:05 AM
Berith Berith is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 13301
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Posts: 5,506
Sskath Yiskah
right-aligned image
It was time. Taurri went with Morril to place bets, then the gnome rejoined Sskath and the pair headed off to the rooftops. The sorceress' pseudodragon-assisted exploration had pinpointed some of the easier places to access the city's upper level. After a brief walk, Sskath stopped and indicated a decorative trellis. The wood itself was not particularly sturdy, but thick vines had grown in the interstices, forming a stout natural ladder. The icy yuan-ti Rolled 21 on access checkclambered effortlessly upward, dusting herself off lightly at the top, waiting for Taurri to join.

Once there, a flick of thought sent Elonast winging into the hot, still air. See what can be seen, my friend, Sskath sent. For a few moments, she merged her senses with those of her familiar, Perception 13ignoring the race and focusing instead on the massed crowds. Their job was to preempt any interference, not watch dinosaurs defecate in the already-filthy streets.

OOC
 

 

 

__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Berith; May 27th, 2020 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old May 27th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Insacrum's Avatar
Insacrum Insacrum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 11376
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Posts: 12,519
Taurri Stellaur
right-aligned image
Taurri didn't see anything of interest at what he considered to be the first checkpoint of interest. There was a large crowd gathered, and that would make sense. A large crowd would be hard to hide a direct intervention into the race itself, and as such guards wouldn't be needed. Also being this close to the city's merchant princes would make for a bad place to try something and get away with it.

Quickly following Sskath, Taurri decided that it would be best to make it to his second checkpoint of the race, and look for any possible interferance there. The rooftops were not one of Taurri's prefered method of movement, but with Sskath as a guide for Taurri's direction of action, they managed to make a go of the "Thieve's Highway" as Taurri once read city rooftops being called.

At the next location it would simply be a matter of finding any malicious intent and figuring out how to report it. Unfortunately, Taurri didn't even make it halfway to the next location. Sskath took a route through the rooftops that included one jump that was just a bit to far for Taurri's short legs to make. He tried the jump, instinctively following Sskath, but at the last second, Taurri could only watch as the ledge he was supposed to have easily landed on passed by his line of sight, as she slammed face first into the side of the building, bouncing off of a trellis, and part of a barrel on the ground, only to land with a resounding thud.

Again there was pain. Taurri was starting to understand that pain was going to be a constant fact of his life, if he healed from his scars, there would be something else along the way to provide a different painful experience.

oocAccess the rooftops with Sskath (dex):
Dice Roll:
1d20+2sch10 (15)+2 Total = 17
(17)
Survival Check to move to next point (rooftops):
Dice Roll:
2d20+3kh1sch13 (4, 1 (keeping 4) )+3 Total = 7
(7)
Dangerous fall:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2sch13 (4)+2 Total = 6
(6)
Falling damage:
Dice Roll:
2d6 5, 4 Total = 9
(9)
Tiring Work:
Dice Roll:
1d20+3sch10 (10)+3 Total = 13
(13)
Perception Check:
Dice Roll:
1d20+1 (16)+1 Total = 17
(17)
Stat Block
 


Last edited by Insacrum; May 27th, 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 05:36 PM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 19th, 2021
RPXP: 14985
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,036
The Pirate Hunters and their respective mounts did not mix themselves in the shoving antics that saw several riders fly off the bridge into the cheering arms of the crowd below. Nor did the red skinned Tiffa. They rode the gap and found themselves all near the front of the bunch, with Scarback lagging just behind as the t-rex battled against a rather lethargic start due to the unsettled night that had followed the fiery attack on his pen. Morril sought to cast a spell that might gain favour with the crowd but the bumpy ride made it difficult to concentrate and for now the half elf was unable to focus the magic into a point of emergence and so the spell rode on her lips at the edge of her mind. Kyro kept his balance, despite Dylan's acrobatic pull, and only missed crushing the rider's fingers with his shield by mere inches, tail twitching in annoyance as he bade his time at Svaly's encouragement. Tiffa, meanwhile, recognized Kyro from the fire two days before and rode up alongside Shambala, bringing Stomper neck and neck with the tri-top, using perfect lines to gain distance on a slower mount, however Shambala was in fine form, fresh and relaxed after the nightscapade 'splish splash' in the thermal baths and managed to get her nose out in front of the pack and into the lead. Somewhere Abassi Ajani was getting very excited. The race was on.

The race was on and Taurri and Sskath had easily made it up to the rooftops to get a great view of the start. Sskath surveyed the race for danger or signs of interference but saw none. It seemed none dare meddle so close to the start where the Princes of the Port had full view of them and thus security was much tighter. Taurri knew exactly where he wanted to go, moving across the runways and ledges of the rooftops to keep abreast with the race, for as spectators they would need to keep up with the race if they wanted to have any hand in influencing it or putting an end to any hijinx that might occur. Sskath remained still, and poor Taurri placed a foot wrong just before he jumped from ledge to ledge, and a second after the gnome would once again know the sweet sensation of the fall and the bitter crunch of the painful landing. As he lay there not sure which bone he had broken it was hard not to think of urgently adding the spell Feather Fall to his repertoire.
Stage 1 Player Turn SummaryMorril succeeds Animal Handling: 50ft movement gained on Scarback -10ft due to Restless Night > 40ft gained total Restless Night save fails: setback penalty continues
Morril fails CONcentration check on spell: Spell is not used

Kyro defends Dylan's grab: remains seated
Svaly passes Animal Handling check: Shambala gains 50ft movement +5ft from Relaxed and Rested: total 55ft gained Save succeeds > benefit continues next round

Tiffa passes Animal Handling Check: Stomper gains 40ft movement +10ft from Familiarity With Race Course: total 50 ft Ability use does not recharge. 1 use left.

Sskath and Taurri both easily access the rooftops.
Sskath searches for dangers but discovers none as there is none to discover.
Sskath must first make a Keep up with Race check in order to be involved in further stages

Taurri moves to keep up with the race but fails by more than 5 and falls taking 9 dmg
Taurri does not make it to Stage 2 but automatically makes it to stage 3 > disadvantage on next Keep up with Race check

Dust clounds rose up behind the racing herd as the dinos tore around a grand temple with a domed roof that resembled an unblinking eye looking skyward. Happy priests from the temple lined either side of the street, chanting and hurling spells at those riders who were able to get close enough to them to receive their blessing from their god Savras.
Stage 2 - The Temple of SavrasRiders passing the Temple of Savras have a chance to receive a boon from a priest. If a rider succeeds on an additional DC12 WIS (Animal Handling) check they pull close enough to gain the blessing of a single cleric spell decided randomly by a d4 roll:

1: Guidance: A priest reaches out and touches you: You can roll a d4 and add it to an ability check of your choice once during the race

2: Resistance: You can roll a d4 and add it to a Save of your choice once during the race.

3: Shield of Faith: +2 bonus to AC for the rest of the race

4: Bless: For the rest of the race the rider can roll a d4 and add the number to offensive actions/attack rolls and saving throws

The race favourite, Deadly Treasure, was back to his feet, his rider Kwiglok, calm and unflustered despite the terrible start. The riders ahead veered this way and that across the race course wildly as the came around the temple. Dylan fought to get himself back into the saddle but was shoved aside by a thunderous Zongo who trampled past in a rumbling cloud of stanky flatulence. Poor Deadly Treasure came around the bend so tightly that receiving a priestly blessing was ensured, but the skilled Kwiglok was not expecting to come up against a trailing Nasty, who had slowed nearly to a halt as his rider battled to get back into the saddle. It took precious moments for the two to get untangled and soon the pair would find themselves far at the back of the pack. Thousands of nervous fans watched anxiously; many suns had been placed on Deadly Treasure's victory. Somewhere the bookmakers were rubbing their hands greedily.

Ubtao's Favourite, Banana Candy and Juicy Steaks all gained perfect position to receive priestly blessings. Now past the narrow danger of the bridge few spared the whip, urging their mounts to full speed. Steve wasn't quite ready to whip the nervous Jungle Princess but he was relieved that his deinonychus was running in the right direction behind the others.

Stage 2: Rival MechanicsKwiglok: Gain Blessing check: 22 succeeds: Resistance; Animal Handling 14 fails with Whip > CON save succeeds > 0 speed gained for Deadly Treasure

Callous: Gain Blessing check: 16 succeeds: Guidance; Animal Handling 16 succeeds with Whip > CON save succeeds > 75 speed gained for Ubtao's Favourite

Tyriki: Gain Blessing check: 16 succeeds: Resistance; Animal Handling 16 succeeds with Whip > CON save succeeds > 50 speed gained for Banana Candy

Dark: Gain Blessing check: fails; Animal Handling 19 succeeds > 50 speed gained for Batton Down the Hatches

Canker Keel: Gain Blessing check: 19 succeeds: Resistance; Animal Handling 18 succeeds with Whip > CON save succeeds > 60 speed gained for Juicy Steaks

Dylan: Gain Blessing check: fails with Disadvantage; Animal Handling fails; fails to climb up > 0 speed gained for Nasty Boy

Steve: Gain Blessing check: fails; Animal Handling 13 succeeds > 40 speed gained for Jungle Princess

Faroul and Gondolo: Gain Blessing check fails; Animal Handling Crit Success with Whip > CON save succeeds > 75 speed gained for Zongo

The herd continued racing on past the cheering crowds, around another bend and the mighty temple of Gond, where many clever water-powered contraptions were on display. The priests, who looked more like artisans and tinkerers than holy men, had given access to the display terrace for paying attendees to play with the water cannons. Part of the fun was to douse the riders as they rode by, bets riding on who would be knocked from their seat. Children streamed across the road to and forth, trying to catch the spray and cool themselves from the warm weather. Hidden amongst the frivolty in plain sight, magic was being woven into the one of Gond's water aparatus, loading it with the power of of focused hurricane, it's weaver with one of the Pirate Hunter jockey's squarely in his sights.

Stage 3: Temple of GondAvoiding Water Jets: Each rider must make an additional DC11 DEX save. Success means you remain mounted amidst the water blasts. Failure means a fall and take 1d6 dmg and you only gain half your speed this turn if you make a successful Animal Handling check.

A Magic Spell from the Crowd: A shady looking fellow atop the terrace of water contraptions may be spotted casting a spell by by standers with a Perception DC14 check. Gust of Wind Spell DC15 STR save or be knocked off mount aimed at either Shambala or Scarback, whoever is in the lead at the time. If knocked off not only do you gain half speed this turn, the heavy fall deals 2d6 fall dmg. The jockey's Animal Handling check suffers disadvantage this round.
Countermeasures: A by stander looking for danger or interference requires a DC13 WIS (Perception) check to spot the danger amidst the festivities. Success means you may take appropriate measures to try and prevent the interference from occuring.

The pack rode into the festive blasts of water fired by eager spectators keen to knock their idol's rivals from their mounts. It might have been a simple matter to avoid the strong jets if not for the very real danger of brutally trampling to death the children who were sprinting across the street to catch the blasts of water amidst squeals of joy. There was no stopping nor looking both ways before crossing. It was an easy matter to lose focus on the blasts and be caught off guard. The skull maskeded jockey, Dark, was the first of the pack to be caught directly with a blast, her tiny frame lifted clean out of the saddle. The tiny jockey spun in the air with amazing skill and almost landed on her feet, though the slippery road saw her foot shift under her and she took a knee to the cobblestones to keep upright, her mask left slighty ajar for a brief moment before scurrying back to Batton Down the Hatches, which she whipped furiously to regain the lost ground from the pack.

The thunderous farts of Zongo had the playful children going wild, an overly enthusiastic youngin leaping out in front of the aging triceratops suddenly and without warning. Zongo's tabaxi rider pulled the dino aside but right into a blast of water, however, the second tabaxi on Zongo's back moved to the side holding up a large wooden shield to protect his fellow rider from the jet, only to be blasted right off Zongo's back as the flatulent dino rumbled onwards.

Young Tyriki took a full jet to the chest and spun from his saddle for a moment, only to grab a handle at the back and launch himself back to a steady position upon Banana Candy without missing a beat. Surely the gods themselves had played a hand in keeping the gladiator Merchant Prince's son in his seat.

Those who seemed easiest to hit were the two hapless riders at the back. Several jets struck Kwiglok just as the tortle disappeared inside his shell with miraculous timing, each blast counteracting each other's push, and thus keeping the jockey safely balanced in his saddle. Poor Dylan, hanging from Nasty Boy as he was, was blasted right off the side of the allosaurus and sent skidding painfully into a vendor's apple cart. Growling furiously, Dylan sprinted back to his mount and began to whip the allo furiously. Nasty Boy was having none of that. The allosaurus hurled his head back and let out an even more furious roar, before launching himself forward down a side street, blind with rage, snapping and biting at onlookers left and right, Dylan completely at the dino's mercy. Who knew if Dylan would survive what could be the last ride of his life. Whatever awaited Dylan, it was not victory today.

Meanwhile, though Steve avoided the jets, he was having a hard time getting Jungle Princess to stop eating the flowers from a terrified by-stander's exotic race day hat and get back into the race, while Ubtao's Favourite made its way into the lead, carrying the stony faced Callous forward towards victory... until the rip snorting butt belcher, Zongo, rode on past, tongue hanging out, guts heaving and eyes bulging with the effort to make it to the front of the pack.

Stage 3 - Rival MechanicsKwiglok succeeds on DEX save (uses Resistance spell to gain Advantage); Animal Handling Check: 19 Succeeds > Deadly Treasure gains 50ft movement

Callous succeeds on DEX save; Animal Handling Check: 23 Succeeds > Ubtao's Favourite gains 50ft movement

Tyriki succeeds on DEX save (Uses Resistance to gain Advantage); Animal Handling Check: 19 Succeeds > Banana Candy gains 40ft movement

Dark fails on DEX save > 1 fall dmg and 1/2 movement; Animal Handling Check: 20 with Whip Succeeds > 80/2 = gains 40ft movement > succeeds on CON save

Canker Keel succeeds on DEX save; Animal Handling Check: 17 Succeeds with whip > Juicy Steaks gains 60ft movement > success on CON save

Dylan fails on DEX save with Disadvantage (Holding on) > takes 4 fall dmg; Animal Handling Check fails with Whip > 0 movement gained by Nasty Boy > CON save failed > Nasty Boy (Allosaurus) goes WILD

Steve succeeds on DEX save; Animal Handling Check: fails > Jungle Princess gains 0ft movement

Faroul and Gondolo: DEX Save fails > Gondolo (Blocker) takes the hit and fall > Gondolo is left behind but no 1/2 speed suffered; Animal Handling Check: 18 Succeeds with whip > Zongo gains 75ft movement > success on CON save fails > Exhausted (speed reduced by half)


 

General Race MechanicsStages: Movement is abstract and the event will be some what loosely run with a cinematic rhythm. The riders go through one stage per round. All riders are considered to be in a clump and fairly close to each other throughout the race. Cool ideas are encouraged.
• “feet” of movement are tallied like “points”
• The race occurs in 8 stages, each in a different area of the city.
• At the end of the 8th stage, whoever has the most “feet” accumulated is the winner.

At each stage each rider makes an Animal Handling check. If the check succeeds the dino gains the first number listed as the dinosaur's speed to their running tally. On a failed check the tally does not increase.

A racer can try to move at the higher speed of the dinosaur by lashing the animal furiously. This grants advantage on the Animal Handling check, however a DC CON save must be made at the hend of the stage or the dino's speed is reduced by half for the rest of the race.
Dinosaur General Mechanics
Mount Speed Skill DC AC HP Atk Dmg CON
Young Allosaurus 50/80 16* 13 30 +6 1d10+3 15 (+2)
Ankylosaurus 40/60 12 12 24 +3 1d8+2 16 (+3)
Deinonychus 40/60 12* 13 26 +4 1d8+2 14 (+2)
Dimetrodon 3050 8 12 19 +3 2d6+1
Hadrosaurus 40/50 10 11 19 +3 1d10+1 13 (+1)
Young Triceratops 50/75 14 13 38 +5 1d10+1 15 (+2)
Young T-Rex 50/100 18* 13 46 +6 1d12+3 17 (+3)
* If an Animal Handling check made with Advantage due to lashing fails by 5 or more, the animal goes berserk and is out of the race      

Race Unchained: The race has been declared 'Unchained' - All types of dinosaurs compete (2 legged and 4 legged). Attacking another rider directly is against the rules (highly frowned upon). However the rules around dinosaurs attacking other dinosaurs is looser. Dinosaurs may attack each otherat the end of a stage if their tallies are within 50 of each other. If a dinosaur has half or fewer hps, Animal checks are made with Disadvantage.

Jumping on Another Dinosaur: Make a WIS (Animal Handling) check DC 10 to steady your mount. (Fail, you have disadvantage on the following check) Then make a DEX (Acrobatics) check DC 13 to land mounted on the other dinosaur. Fail: Make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground.

Casting Spells: If the spell requires somatic components, it requires a DC 13 CONcentration check. Fail: The spell is not cast, but is not lost.

Hanging From the Side of a Dinosaur: Riders who dangle are considered prone, and at the start of each of their following turns as a REACTION they can try a DC 10 STR check to get back into a proper riding position. They may also use their ACTION to try again if they fail.

Shambala
Mobile Shield Construction: 1/race Give Jockey advantage on a Save that could knock him off his mount. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Kyro's Doubt (set back): Any offensive actions by Kyro suffers DISADVANTAGE due to the challenges faced during training

Limited Patience (set back): Shambala is easily annoyed by a Blocker's offensive actions. Shambala makes a WIS save DC12 after any offensive action. A fail indicates Shambala tries to throw jockey and blocker: Both must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground but the Blocker (Kyro) suffers disadvantage.

Tail Flick: (Action) 2/Race: Direct Shambala's target at a chosen target. To choose a specific Dino a WIS (Animal Handling) check DC13 is required first. If this is not successful it will strike a randomly selected rider who is currently close enough: roll a d4 (1 is closest rider, 2 = 2nd closest, 3 = 3rd closest 4 = 4th closest). This special power can be used creatively to interact with the environment so long as it follows the Rule of Cool. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Balanced Jockey: Svaly release the reigns and regather them in order to use both hands. This may be used 1/Race to gain advantage on a roll. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Relaxed and Rested: The bath last night has Shambala in peak condition. Shambala's movement each stage gains a +5ft bonus. At the end of each round Shambala must make CON save. The DC of the save begins at DC 10 and increases by +1 at the end each stage.

Scarback
Fear of Fire: (set back): The fiery pen has left Scarback reacting badly to fire. Scarback immediately tries to throw jockey. Morril must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground but the reaction is violent and this save suffers disadvantage.

Restless Night: (set back): Scarback has had a restless night due to the sabotage and begins the race sluggishly. Scarback's movement each stage suffers a -10ft penalty. At the end of each round Shambala may make CON save. The DC of the save begins at DC 14 and decreases by -1 at the end each stage.

Rivalry with Ubtao's Favourite: Any stage in which Scarback starts more than 20ft behind Ubtao's Favourite, Scarback gains a +5ft movement bonus. 1/race (Action) If Scarback is within 10 ft of Ubtao's Favourite, Scarback can gain +10 movement collide with Ubtao's favourite hard enough to potentially throw his jockey. However Morril must also make a DC13 DEX save to remain mounted after the impact. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

A Champion's Instinct: 1/race: Scarback can neutralise any failed roll that would leave Morril dismounted, instead keeping her mounted and in a correct riding position.

Crowd Favourite: The crowd invigorates Scarback with their support: If Scarback is suffering the effects of exhaustion a Crowd Favour roll may be made. On a roll of 15+ the effect of the exhaustion suffered is neutralised for this stage. A rider may make a DC13 Persuasion/Performance check as an Action to gain this effect.

Veteran Mount: Scarback knows the course and mostly runs instinctively, leaving his rider more free to their own devices than most. 2/Race: Gain advantage while interacting with the environment so long as it follows the Rule of Cool. Roll 6 a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

StomperDeep Connection: Tiffa's deep connection with Stomper allows the dino to push past the normal limits of other Ankylosaurs: +5ft base movement speed

Serenade the Beast: 2/Race Tiffa may use her flute to calm or inspire Stomper. Calm: Gain advantage on any animal handling check +Flute Proficiency Bonus. Inspire: Animal Handling DC12: Neutralise any half speed penalty that you may have suffered during this stage

Hatred of Thaumaturgy: (set back) From experiences during training Stomper has come to hate magic and reacts badly to it when it nears him. Stomper makes a WIS save DC12 after any encounter with magic. A fail indicates Stomper has tried to throw jockey and Tiffa must make a DEX Save DC13 or be thrown to the ground. You may make a DC 10 DEX Save to hang on to the side of the target dinosaur or fall to the ground.

Thunderwave Acceleration: The spell Thunderwave can be used to spook Stomper into Acceleration mode, gaining +10 movement speed. At the end of each round Stomper must make CON save to maintain this effect. The DC of the save begins at DC 12 and increases by +1 at the end each stage. When this effect ends Stomper gains 1 Level of Exhaustion

Manouevrability: Stomper is good at avoiding obstacles: 1/Race gain advantage on a Save to Avoid an Obstacle. Roll 6 on a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Overtraining: (setback) Training was too intense and left Stomper exhausted.

Firewheat: The stolen Firewheat gives Stomper the pick me up he needs. Stomper ignores Exhaustion for the 1st 3 stages of the race automatically. At the end of stage 4 and every stage after Stomper must make a CON save to maintain the high. The DC begins at DC11 and increases by +1 every stage after stage 4.

Familiarity with Racecourse: Tiffa's famililarity with the racecourse allows her to try and take the best lines through the city possible. 2/Race Requires DC12 Animal Handling Check: Gain +5ft movement. Succeed by 5 or more: +10ft movement. Roll 6 on a d6 to recharge at the end of each stage.

Amazing Paintjob: The beautiful paint design draws the favour of the crowd despite being a novice: The crowd invigorates Scarback with their support: If Scarback is suffering the effects of exhaustion a Crowd Favour roll may be made. On a roll of 15+ the effect of the exhaustion suffered is neutralised for this stage. A rider may make a DC13 Persuasion/Performance check as an Action to gain this effect.

Tiffa's Disguise: To see through Tiffa's skilled disguise requires an Insight roll vs her Deception 22

By Standers MechanicsAccess the Rooftops: Rooftops are 20 feet high. A successful DC 13 Strength (Athletics) check scales the wall of those buildings. Success by 5 or more indicates you climb ignoring difficult terrain. Failure by 5 or more indicates a fall from half the distance you climbed. Sskath knows the best places to get to the rooftops as easily at possible at each stage: She and anyone with her only have to make a DC10 STR (athletics) or DEX (acrobatics) check.

Keeping up with the Race: Keeping up with the race through the crowded streets is nearly impossible unless you use shortcuts and the city's rooftops. Requires a Survival (WIS or INT based) check DC15. A failure by 5 or less means you dont make it to the next stage but automatically make it to the stage after that. Using the Rooftops reduces the DC to 13. Failing a Rooftop survial check by 5 or more indicates somehing dangerous has occured that might end in a fall: make a DC13 DEX (acrobatics) check or fall 20ft to the ground and gain disadvantage on your next check to move to the next stage.

Tiring work: After moving from one stage to the next make a DC10 CON save. A fail indicates you are struggling to maintain the pace and suffer disadvantage on your next Keepin up check.

Photographic Memory of the City: Taurri knows the Port with photographic precision and is able to find the shortest route from A to Z at any given moment. Taurri and anyone with him has advantage on all checks to Keep up with the Race. He also locates himself precisely where the greatest threat of interference occur: Advantage on Insight/Perception/Investigation checks made during the race to discover threats.

Alert the Watch: (Action) Taurri knows the Watch locations about the race and can attempt to neutralise any race interference by alerting the Watch in a timely fashion. Requires a CHA (persuasion) check DC12. Anyone with Taurri can make this check in his place.

Stir Crowd Support: (Action) When present during one of the Stages of the Race, by standers may attempt to stir the crowd to support their chosen rider: Req. CHA (performance/persuasion) check DC13: chosen dino gains +5 movement this stage.

Interact with the Environment to Favour your Rider: (Action) When present during one of the Stages of the Race, by standers may attempt to interact with the environment in a way that favours their rider or harms other riders. Req. and appropriate DC13 check and must follow the Rule of Cool. After this check is made you must make a CHA (deception) or DEX (stealth) check in order to go unnoticed by the Watch. Taurri's knowledge of the watch grants him advantage on this check. He may grant it to anyone with him if he actively chooses to do so. A failure indicates the Watch has spotted your interference!

Race ProgressRace Progress Document
__________________
"Kill them all!"

Last edited by jbear; Jun 3rd, 2020 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB