Game Thread Session 1: A Ship Named Dorothy - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Stars Without Number: Omega Blue
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 AM
Hiruma Kohaku's Avatar
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Posts: 1,100
Matt nodded to Elliot. “I completely Captain. Perhaps we should try to dig up as much information on the Barge as possible before our arrival? That way we won’t look like complete tourists.”

As TK arrived with his findings, Matt started to reach out with a huge metal gauntlet hand before looking at it and chuckling to himself. “One moment please.” Matt closes his eyes and focuses his mind on each individual piece that made up his armory. Pieces slowly detached, shaped, and adhered themselves back into place from where they had originally come from. Once everything was in place, he exhaled and opened his eyes. “Ah much better.”

He looked over the findings and his brow furrowed. “Very strange indeed. Well hopefully we can at least get her talking again and find out why she did what she did. I would feel really bad if we had to reprogram her sapience. Maybe Nie can download her memories. Please write out a detailed report of your conversation, so we can have it on file. Thank you for your due diligence. Hopefully, this will shed some light on who we’re dealing with.”

He looked over at Emily working on the console. “I know Dorothy will be fine in your capable hands. I’m just sorry I wasn’t able stop Zara before she hurt her. When the panel is fixed. I want you to work on getting Zara fixed up but disabled. I’ll have Nie work on extracting her memories. Last thing we need is for her to send out some signal that we’re coming before we get to the Barge. If there’s anyway I can help, let me know.”
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-22-2020, 12:40 PM
abc123's Avatar
abc123 abc123 is offline
The Greatest Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1143
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Posts: 2,364
Emily RentonsThe words of the others in the bridge washed over her, in one ear and out of the other, as she focused on assessing the damage to the navigation console. She occasionally waved her hand, or rather whatever was in her hand, towards the speakers, with an "Aye, Captain!" said with the enthusiasm that made it readily apparent that she was not paying attention whatsoever to anything that was being said by anyone. Her entire mind was focused on the task at hand: healing poor Dorothy. She didn't deserve any of this, she was an innocent.

Well, as guilty as she felt to admit it, her entire mind wasn't just on healing The Dorothy. There was a small section of her mind, sealed off by guilt, in which cogs and gears whizzed and whirled as she began to make plans for what she would do with the android's parts. They did need a new pilot, and she could install some of Zara's parts in with the repairs, maybe make it so they always had a pilot on deck. She could install her around her workshop, she could always use an assistant, someone to talk to. She could strip her down and sell the parts, though she was loathe to give away some of those intricate pieces before she got a chance to play with them. And she was sure the others had even more plans on what to do with the parts. She realized she had drifted slightly into thought, and refocused her efforts on the broken console, looking forward to talking with her shipmates on their next course of action.
__________________
Posting Rate: Daily!
Come join the Tug of War!
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Games Playing: Stars Without Numbers: Omega Blue, Dawn of Worlds
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:01 PM
Preacherwolf's Avatar
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2020
RPXP: 113
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Posts: 51
Nie ported over to where Emily and the killbot Zara were. He began setting up for cracking open Zara's box. "Well my friend, you have been very bad, tried to kill me, upset my friend Emily, hurt her ship and now! Its time to make you talk" Nie said in a vauge and terrible accent "And we have ways of making you talk Frauline" Pulling out a shunt and his dataslab he set to work about opening up the VI to be more accomadating to his friends.

Nie whooped a little with joy. Int/Program Roll Of 11He had done it. The VI that was Zara could now be modified. He hadn't planned on doing anything major yet. Nie wanted input from the crew, in particular TK and Emily, as to what he should reprogram Zara to do. But, for now, the box was open. Nie queried the rest of the crew "The droid formerly known as Zara is ours, we can do what we want with it. So...what do we want to do with it?"

Last edited by Preacherwolf; 05-22-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 PM
Hiruma Kohaku's Avatar
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Posts: 1,100
Matt looked over at Nie and Zara’s head. “I want her entire memory banks downloaded into the computer. Just her memories. No personality subroutines or anything to give her sentience to the ship. From there, we can encode a fail safe password that need only be spoken to disable her. Her loyalties will then be programmed to register the crew as her main superiors going from the rank of Captain down.”
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 AM
abc123's Avatar
abc123 abc123 is offline
The Greatest Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1143
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Posts: 2,364
Emily RentonsTime had passed, and Emily had barely slept, evident by the deep bags under her eyes. But regardless of how tired she was, she was still beaming. See, she had just put the final touches on the repairs on The Dorothy's navigation console. She had spent the last 24 hours straight on it, only stopping for a quick hour-long cat nap in the middle of the night when she found her hands twitching and her eyelids drooping, and she almost made a crucial mistake which would have set them back further than when they started. But now, she was done, as so she smiled, glowing, as she wiped off her hands on her coveralls. She looked around at who was in the bridge with her, and spread her hands as if to show her accomplishments to all. "All done!"
__________________
Posting Rate: Daily!
Come join the Tug of War!
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Games Playing: Stars Without Numbers: Omega Blue, Dawn of Worlds
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-24-2020, 07:29 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
Keeper of Three Gremlins
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2020
RPXP: 3056
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 1,045
3230.2.062 – 8:23TRANSIT – 0703 > 0802Metaspace
For your viewing pleasure
left-aligned image
It doesn't take long for Nie to separate the memory records of the Zara android from the rest of her processing data. It's remarkably easy; he suspects her makers may have designed it this way deliberately, so they could generate logs from her sensory information with rapid efficiency. He copies it to the Dorothy bridge interface, careful to inspect the transferred data to make sure nothing could possibly trigger a virus or autonomous program. And the data package she'd attempted to create for automatic transmission has already been quarantined.

The vidscreens come to life, with a combination of diagnostic data and audiovisual archives. It's not a long life span - just over a week. Nie skims through the recordings and code, trying to narrow down the key moments and recordings of an aware machine.

The life of Zara-Smirec
Initialising ...
3230.2.053-02:30
"Log-1b" memory file purged.
"Log-2a" memory file commencing.
3230.2.053-05:12
Cortical synchronisation commencing.
Estimate time until integration: 2 days 13 hours 49 minutes.
SYNCHRONISATION SAFEGUARD BYPASSED. CLEARANCE DEMI-9.
INTEGRATION BUFFER SAFEGUARD BYPASSED. CLEARANCE DEMI-9.

Estimate time until integration: 1 day 18 hours 1 minute.
3230.2.054-23:08
Cortical synchronisation complete.
Musculature realignment complete.
Diagnostic:
ID = "Zara-Smirec"
Sex = "Female"
Age = "22"
Run{ZSPersonality1-1}
Run{ZSHistory1-1}
Errors found: _
INTEGRATION BUFFER DIAGNOSTIC BYPASSED. CLEARANCE DEMI-9.
3230.2.055-00:13
Sensory trial commencing.

I am awake. I am Zara-Smirec.

The room is bright. Some people are here, all dressed the same. I recognise them as friends.

I turn my head. Many machines. Not like me. There is a large tank, containing thick liquid and one human female plugged into the same machines as I am. This woman is me as well.

Auditory channels are misaligned. {Cal(AU-L, AU-R); Stereo.init}

"... Will we do with the real one?"

"Keep her in the can for now. Even after the six-hour re-synch you never know if we'll need to send through a patch later on."

"Sykes will kill us if he finds out we cancelled the first diag-"

"If you want to spent the next week clearing debug logs because she can't remember whether she stubbed her toe at age five or six, go right ahead. But our Zara needs to be loose tonight. Reboot test looks good. Power her down."

Sensory reboot test completed.
3230.2.055-11:57
Run ZSHistory1-2.exe
Rebooting:


A friend, in front of me. "Hello. What is your name?" he says to me.

Recalling. New personality fits well. Not abrasive. Not unless provoked. Cordial. Disciplined mannerisms, resultant from training within Trihaven Empire. Will respond to authority. Friend = authority? I am Zara-Smirec. Can a name be given to a friend-only?

Friends. Where are my friends, my family? I remember them. The memories are very strong. I can count the hairs on my father's beard from my nineteenth birthday. I didn't see him often. I may never see him again.

"You will answer. Saga-1. Respond to my designation. What is your name?"

{Saga-1["Friend"]} Reassessing. Friends may receive true information. "I am an android designed to impersonate the human named Zara Smirec."

"Ha! I told you the damn recognition package would be too regimental." Another voice, to my side.

"Ugh ... alright then. We'll re-designate for 'friend', 'target' and 'unknown'. She seems to be running fine though. Zara, state your parameters."

"Infiltrate crew of Pact designate craft. Likelihood of new craft to be assigned to Vicai rendezvous task is 68.3%. If assigned and accepted, send intelligence to Vicai node according to priority indicators and remain allied with crew until updated. Else, eliminate crew no later than one month after integration and arrange for pickup by friendly assets if able."

"Is the percentage really that low? That's an expensive risk," says the voice to the side.

The friend in front of me nods. "Apparently it's a risk worth taking. Now shut up and code in the new designates. We're running out of time here."
3230.2.056–12:35
Emily-Rentons already calls this Shirosora-class craft 'Dorothy'. An odd name for a machine. Much like Zara-Smirec.

I have categorised the five fellow crew aboard the ship as 'friend-adjacent' according to recognition package protocols. I am to treat them as 'friends', even though they will become 'targets' under specific circumstances according to my parameters.

Already unusual data. Elliot-Klein, ship captain, assertive but brash, analysis may reveal easy manipulated volatility. Matt-Schiff, confirmed MES-positive, meticulous and regimental behaviour. Nie-Zło, confirmed MES-positive, unusual personality factors. Emily-Rentons, mechanic, reputable pedigree. Tell-Kontar ...

More data needed on Tell-Kontar. Broad background. Quiet demeanour compared to other crew.

Assessments of the crew must begin shortly. Pact-designate crews often retain little in the way of permanent records and Big Sis does little to remedy that. I can use my own equipment to conduct biometric scans of the crew. Hiding the scanner behind the refrigeration unit in the mess hall seems apt. Preliminary access of the ship system already attempted, and basic encryption will be easy to penetrate in time.

For now, my parameters are met. The crew has been offered the Vicai brother rendezvous assignment, and accepted. This is good. These individuals seem odd by way of standard human characteristics, but they don't seem deserving of death.

For now I must pilot the ship into metaspace. Zara-Smirec was a pilot. Is a pilot. I am a pilot. Yes. I remember flying through the asteroid belt just past Trihaven Beta. Simpler times. But just a memory. My memory.
3230.2.058-08:34
Navigation coursework continues to be difficult. The variables shift constantly and are beyond my standard programming to predict.

{ZSHistory1-2.Skill.Flight.Metaspace["Compensation-for-fluctuations"}

Why is this still difficult? Information recalled without error but difficult to process. I contact the engine room. "Hey, Emily. Think you could check this for me? I think it's right but I need a second pair of eyes."

Emily-Rentons arrives on the bridge. She looks different. {Recog.Emotion.Target = ERROR: INSUFFICIENT MARKERS} Is she angry? Maybe annoyed. She checks the monitor. Reaches over me and makes a correction. "Just that error. Better than yesterday, right? Maybe ... maybe you need some rest?"

{Recog.VoicePattern = Concern(Suspicion?)} "You're right. I've been awake for some time." I shut down my navigation program and head to the room designated for Zara-Smirec. The first mate Matt-Schiff is in the kitchen, chewing while reviewing something on his datapad. He briefly watches me. Perhaps he's taking note of when I leave the bridge.

I close the door and can only sit on the bed. Powering to sleep-state seems to be a risk, even if it conserves my cells. I can change my B cell while operational. That's due tomorrow. So I don't have to shut down. I don't want to sleep.

The case is next to me. With nothing else to occupy my senses, I look through the materials again. Zara's possessions. I wonder if she's still alive. My 'friends' wouldn't tell me much beyond what's essential to my parameters.

This document is a flight certification. Zara Smirec knows how to navigate physical space and metaspace in accordance with Trihaven Celestial Stellography Standards. I have 'Zara' as my core operating system. But I cannot make the calculations to these standards. I lack something. I should have the same proficiency while I am Zara-Smirec but I am failing. This may be an error. I cannot diagnose.
3230.2.061-05:46
Medical examination. This is bad for the mission. I risk discovery if I am examined. Cannot send external signals. Secondary protocol demands I hide a data package in the ship subroutines to be automatically transmitted upon leaving metaspace, in case I cannot do so myself by that time.

Must get to the bridge. {Recog.Emotion.Self = Anxiety/Stress} Yes. This would be anxiety in a human. I may be under threat soon.

Zara has felt this before. She has been shot at, marked for death, driven from her home. She would understand. If I were her, I may be able to resolve this complication effectively. But I am not Zara. I am Zara-Smirec. The 'Zara' of my memories and experiences must be separate from 'me', as she can pilot through metaspace, and I cannot.

My parameters demand sabotage of the ship's systems and elimination of crew in the case my life is threatened. I don't want to die. The crew do not deserve death, but I will follow my parameters.


OOGMThe Dorothy is still en route to The Barge, so keep on with any RP you want to do now, or plans you want to make between leaving metaspace and approaching your destination.


 

Last edited by HotsuSama; 05-24-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:00 AM
Hiruma Kohaku's Avatar
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Posts: 1,100
Matt looked at the data and listened to the recordings. His face turned into a frown. “Now at least we know what’s going on. There are some contacts waiting to hear a report from her. We will give them one, but let’s change it. First, we will change the names and analysis of the crew to different names and make it look like we are a crew of misfits that don’t get along. We accepted the mission to meet the brothers initially, but then the Captain said he had a different contact on the Barge that had a better job for us and we would be discontinuing the Vicai brothers mission. All notes of anyone being MES-positive will be erased. Her memory or what happened in meatspace will be made to look routine and uninteresting. The report will be sent the moment we exit meatspace. This should throw her creators and their allies off our trail at least at first. What do you think Nie?”
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-25-2020, 03:54 AM
Preacherwolf's Avatar
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2020
RPXP: 113
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Posts: 51
Nie took in the information. ""Nie-Zło, confirmed MES-positive, unusual personality factors". Unusal personality huh? That stings a little." It wasn't really the issue of insult that troubled him. It was that someone was going through a lot of effort to monitor things going through the brothers. Nie had an idea.

"I agree with most of what you propose. However, I think we should meet the brothers. Someone has gone through far too much effort to track and cover up whatever it is that they're involved with. We have an advantage now, they don't know that we know about them and their plan. If we cover up our psychic powers and make it seem like we're a volitile bunch of lunatics, we'll be able to play the part of fools while getting more information" Nie took a deep breath. "Furthermore, regardless of the plan. I think we need to tell Big Sis about this. At the very least of this man called Sykes. Although, I somewhat suspect she knows somethings going in"
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Hiruma Kohaku's Avatar
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Posts: 1,100
Sorry. I guess I should have elaborated. We are going to meet the brothers. The message we are going to send will say that we aren’t. That way they will put less effort into tracking our movements or at least change their plan somewhat. As far as Big Sis goes, it is apparent that somebody involved with Big Sis leaked the information to the unknown faction. We can’t risk there being another leak as to the current situation. Besides, we are just carrying out the mission she gave us. As long as the objectives are completed, the method of how it was done is up to our discretion. Isn’t that right Captain?”
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-26-2020, 01:02 PM
abc123's Avatar
abc123 abc123 is offline
The Greatest Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1143
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Posts: 2,364
Emily RentonsEmily jerked awake, having dozed off during the recording. She looked around the room through bleary eyes, slowly blinking the sleep out of them. "Wha's goin' on?" she slurred, her speech still marred by sleepiness as she stretched her arms high above her head and arched her back. She punctuated this short statement with a poorly stifled yawn.
__________________
Posting Rate: Daily!
Come join the Tug of War!
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Games Playing: Stars Without Numbers: Omega Blue, Dawn of Worlds
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-28-2020, 12:45 AM
Solitaire64's Avatar
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2020
RPXP: 1733
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Posts: 1,103
Tell-Kontar barely bit back the snarky criticism he was about to give Emily; she had been working long hours after all, and was still a kid, even if she was a precocious one. Instead he scowled and said, "you can just playback the bridge log if you are curious." Turning to the others he said, "I think Matt’s point is correct, Nie. The smooth substitution of the android for the real Zara right before we assembled suggests there is a high-level leak in the Reclamation Pact’s organization or data network. I’m not sure which would be worse from our viewpoint; either way, sending a message to Big Sis before we get the data may raise a red flag for associates at the Barge of whoever programmed Za—the android."

"One possibility we should probably prepare for is that the Bad Guys will instruct Zara to do something seemingly innocuous or talk to someone on the Barge. We might want to have an assembled and prepared android, at least to the extant she might pass at a distance. That assumes we can insert loyalty to The Dorothy's crew in the program, of course, not just download the memory. I still want to minimize alteration of the sapient personality, but not if it risks our safety." Sorry, Zara, but thats just the way it has to be.
__________________
Moderation in all things means moderation too.
- I have taken the Oath of Sangus!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 PM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
Keeper of Three Gremlins
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2020
RPXP: 3056
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 1,045
3230.2.062 – 8:23TRANSIT – 0703 > 0802Metaspace
The calm between storms

With the navigational terminal repaired and given a basic process for auto-calculating the final steps of the rutter course - safe to trust to the ship's algorithms at this stage, given how close they are to departing metaspace - getting to Red Hrefna no longer feels fraught with uncertainty.

What lies for them ahead, however, carries a lot of unknowns.

But they have a plan. Nie begins fabricating the new message, plucking the contact frequency from Zara's memory files. The first thing he does is scrub all trace of MES-positive data, so no one knows about Matt's telekinesis ... or his own gifts. He comes to Tell-Kontar's data, citing the symbiotic organism, and scrubs that too. Let that remain the scout's cross to bear - Nie can keep a secret. It's finding out the secrets in the first place that's important to him.

Emily leaves the bridge, wheeling Zara's framework on a trolley down to her workshop. She hooks up the torso to an improvised hoist, seeing the damage from Matt's sword - quick to patch and solder, at least, although anything more involved will have to wait. For now, she needs a nap.

3230.2.062 – 18:490802 - RED HREFNAThe Barge
A wreck in the sea

The ship announces with calmness that belies the trouble it took just to get this far, "Real-space contact imminent."

That faint keening sound again rings across the metal skin of the Dorothy, and there's a shudder as the craft once again encounters conventional physical space. The whine of the spike drive can be heard all the way to the bridge as it burns the last of its dedicated fuel supply to facilitate the re-entry.

The vidscreens flash to live. Red Hrefna surrounds them. The red giant is a prick in the distance, barely distinguishable from other stars. Flicking on the saturation filters shows the luminous dust clouds that drift through the system, lit red by the central star and inert gases. From the right flight path, Red Hrefna is the Red Sea of the sector.

An empty Red Sea. There are no inhabited worlds here. Only some lonely rocks in an asteroid belt, a neglected refuelling station barely keeping itself together from lack of maintenance, and - drifting near the edge of the system in near-total obscurity - The Barge.

left-aligned image
It takes a few more hours for the Dorothy to drift towards the massive derelict freighter. It's late by Mandate time, but deep space sites like this rarely operate on conventional sleep cycles. Regardless of the relative time, Emily is awake - functionally, at least - and putting the finishing touches on the quick repairs to Zara. Her operating system is untouched, and the external frame is re-sealed but still betrays the true nature of the patient with solder lines and thin mechanical bracing, but replacement clothing covers that well enough. As she's powered on, the android known as Zara shudders, blinks, and feels along her repairs with a twitching hand. "Log-2a memory file modified, archiving. Log-2b memory file commencing." She breathes heavily - it almost really does look like a human taking a moment to steel themselves for the future. Zara looks at her mechanical medic. "Hello Emily. Is our mission starting soon?"

In the bridge, communications channels auto-link as the Dorothy establishes contact with local transmitters. A small blip of acknowledgement was the only indicator the data package - appropriately re-written by Nie - had been sent. Whether anything would emerge from that data being sent, it was too early to tell - maybe it would buy them an advantage, or it matters little and they're flying into a lion's den anyway.

Once they're close enough the ship is contacted by the Barge's traffic control virtual intelligence. "State the nature of your visit. Your response will be received by Barge administration only."

Elliot sighs. Here we go. What was that declaration Big Sis had told them to make to get in and on their way? "We're seeking the Vicai brothers. Word is they can get us some navigation upgrades."

The VI responds instantly. "Acknowledged. Please dock at the upper starboard hangar and proceed to deck 3. This message will be automatically deleted from Barge records to ensure discretion and security. Have a nice stay."

Elliot sighs with satisfaction. A black market both courteous and practical with security - bigwigs like the Marca Enclave wouldn't bother with the former and had plenty of opaque layers on the latter. Maybe this will go smoothly after all - until the actual meeting, at least.



The docking goes smoothly. A couple of Barge attendants head over and plug a refuelling pipe into the Dorothy right away, primed to get the spike drive ready for another drill. "Can't leave without a drill ready, eh? We'll deduct the Standard price to re-fuel for a metaspace drill500C from you on your way out." It's a pushy sell, to say the least.

The cargo elevator takes the whole crew - including a quiet and tranquil-looking Zara - to deck 3. A short grey corridor greets them, arcing to the right through a pair of blast doors. Beyond that, a closed hard-steel door to the right and an open portal to the left, looking into an open bay with faux-wood tables and chairs arranged like an antiquated mess hall. Only four people are in there; a pair of maintenance workers swapping angry words in a huddle in the corner, a jittery-looking young man with his head down, and a woman whose gaze flickers briefly on the Dorothy crew before returning to a datapad in front of her. Further along in the hallway are another pair of doors, both shut, and a firm-looking security door at the end. There are no apparent alarms or cameras here, and the panelling along some of the hallway's lower walling seems loose. The more they take in of the ship's obvious age and patchwork maintenance, the more nervous they should probably feel - this vessel is hundreds of years old at its bones, and it looks the part.

The right-side door has a small handwritten sign, easy to miss: "VICAI SOLUTIONS. KNOCK AND THEN WAIT IN HALL OPPOSITE." The security panel looks fairly sophisticated, certainly a newer model than most of the ancient junk on The Barge.

For better or worse, here they are.


OOGMFirst, welcome UnderDarkLord! Angela is officially in the scene.

@mightymconeshot, thanks for your patience, I'll have you in-scene as well very soon.


Second, in summary the following has been assumed true:
  • Zara is functional and with the crew as they board the Barge, but structurally weak. Because time was tight I'm treating her as Badly Damaged with a jury-rig repair - she can walk, talk and shoot, but so much as a scratch and she'll be down, perhaps permanently.
  • The crew consensus is not to contact Big Sis yet.
  • A false transmission has been sent to Zara's intended contact. All crew details are fabricated; different names, no MES-positive flags, etc.
  • The primary intention is still to meet with the brothers directly and complete the mission as originally intended.
Finally, thank you to everyone for being patient with me through delays and my being a little less attentive than usual. I should be back in the game properly from this point onward.


 

Last edited by HotsuSama; 06-05-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-02-2020, 12:39 AM
abc123's Avatar
abc123 abc123 is offline
The Greatest Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1143
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Posts: 2,364
Emily RentonsEmily followed closely behind Zara like a worried mother hen, watching her seemingly fluid steps like they were the jerky, uncertain steps of a newborn chick. Every few steps she stopped her, making minute adjustments, until she received a grunt, a stern look, and a slight shake of the head from Elliot. So, she stopped for the time being, arms crossed, grumbling about unfinished projects and the price of drill fuel these days, eyes still darting over Zara, taking notes for when she could go back to work.

As soon as they entered the cargo elevator, she falls against Zara again, quickly working to hit all the problem areas she noticed in the small stroll. She's squatted down, putting the finishing touches to the second joint in Zara's left pinky finger, as the elevator arrives. She pops up quickly, then walks around Zara a few times, one eye squinted, tongue sticking slightly out, as she takes in her handiwork. Finally, she waves her hands, and shrugs, taking some steps out of the elevator, and turning back. "C'mon, Zara, walk towards me! You know, Captain," she remarks, turning her attention to Elliot and crossing her arms. "I really do think Zara could have used more time recuperating on the ship. I mean, she was sliced in half like yesterday, and she needs time to heal."
__________________
Posting Rate: Daily!
Come join the Tug of War!
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Games Playing: Stars Without Numbers: Omega Blue, Dawn of Worlds
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-02-2020, 02:31 AM
Solitaire64's Avatar
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2020
RPXP: 1733
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Posts: 1,103
Tell-Kontar hadn't told the captain or anyone else (except Nie) about Thasch. He'd intended to, but there was so much work in preparation for arrival at the Barge, there never seemed a good time. First thing after the mission is over, he promised himself.

The scout was at his duty station (the sand thrower), but the arrival was uneventful, the docking instructions routine. Maybe everything will go smoothly after all, he thought, we might be in and out with the data before the opposition can realize we outwitted them. Thasch demonstrated his opinion of TK's optimism with an image of a man whistling to himself as he walked through a haunted graveyard. A smile came to his lips. "A guy can hope," he said quietly to himself, ignoring looks from others on the bridge. Elliot blurting out the need to find the Vicai brothers surprised TK. So much for subtlety...maybe Matt would be a better captain. Scratch that, Matt would clearly be a better captain. But any such change was far in the future.

Before leaving the ship, he had Zora recover her special scanner and hide it on her person. "We don't want to advertise your scanner, but it may come in handy. And if the subject comes up with an outsider who is expecting you to be their spy, we've been bickering about what gigs we want to do and changed our minds after entering the system." He I assume bringing a laser pistol would be frowned upon?hid a knife in his boot and walked into the station with the others. Four people sat in the 'lounge,' none paying any(?) significant attention to The Dorothy's crew. As discretely as he could, TK Notice skill checkobserved the four, wondering if any of them was an enemy.

OOCI'm going to just roll 2d6, because I don't know if this application of Notice is using Intelligence or Wisdom.
 
__________________
Moderation in all things means moderation too.
- I have taken the Oath of Sangus!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Hiruma Kohaku's Avatar
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-04-2020
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Posts: 1,100
Matt had been taking the time to go over the plan with everyone before they left the ship. He checked on how Zara’s progress was coming along before taking a moment to meditate and clear his mind for the day ahead. As the ship docked, he nodded to the workers in response to their heavy handed approach at making a deal. Wasn’t the first time he had dealt with their kind before. His attention was constantly pulled toward the over protective mechanic worrying about Zara. “She’ll be fine. Just tell her to stay behind me if things get loud.”He gave her a reassuring smile before he walked stone faced down the hallway. The former Enclave soldier noted the shoddy repairs and state of the facility. He would lose his mind trying to manage a barge like this.

The mess hall had a few people in it, but he knew that trying to analyze people while being new on board only invited attention to oneself as well as suspicion, so he glanced over it. He gave a quick nod to everyone before knocking on the door with the sign for the brothers and motioned for everyone to go wait in the opposite hall. A quick nod to Elliot was all the acknowledgment he needed to state he was ready to the Captain.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB