Game Thread Barovia Wants You! - Page 47 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Barovia Wants You!
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #691  
Old 06-11-2020, 12:13 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,753

Remaining underwater, Arquiztex methodically patrols the area from the portcullis to the ceremonial dais, and then begins skirting around the dais as she moves downward toward the opposite end with the refuse pile.


 


 

Last edited by bananabadger; 06-11-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #692  
Old 06-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Crucius's Avatar
Crucius Crucius is offline
Old Sphinx
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 932
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Posts: 803
Liiare
right-aligned image
Liiare had to remind herself of the benefits of emotion as Arquiztex dived into the shallow water. Her Lizardfolk friend was certainly impulsive but that also meant decisive. She was passionate and that meant energetic. Though the Shadar Kai themselves were not emotional as a rule, they did not fool themselves into thinking that emotion was pure weakness. Emotion had its uses, even its superiorities, and the Raven Queen sought out symbols of it as a coordinated task.

She walked through the room with her blades still drawn and the others opened the path to continue. She entered the next room hopeful for the opportunity to meet this dead man.


Character InfoCharacter Sheet
Hit PointsDivine SenseLay on HandsHit Dice
15/152/34/42/2d10
1st Slots2nd Slots3rd Slots4th Slots
2/2
__________________
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” -Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #693  
Old 06-11-2020, 10:56 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Dragoonies never say die!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3029
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 1,801
Still waters
right-aligned image
One of the first things Rolen noticed when he stepped through the wall into the large room was the silence. "Echoes from beyond." Then he noticed the raised dais where who-knows-how-many sacrifices had been made over the years. How many lives were cut short shackled to that stone altar he wondered. How much blood had cascaded down those stairs into the fetid murk below? And to what end, who were they tribute for? The mood of this room was as dark as the water.

He looked across to the cave, at least that was something natural even though it was piled with refuse and flotsam. That must be the monster's den He stared into its darkness for a moment. "I believe our path lies within that cave." Rolen jumped down from the ledge and started wading across towards the mouth of the cave.


 

 
__________________
Owain ap Gwalchmei of Snowdonia; Jack of Tales, Dashing rogue; Rolen Liadon, Barovia Buddy; I have taken the oath. “Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.” -Willam Gibson
Reply With Quote
  #694  
Old 06-12-2020, 02:37 AM
DaniLore's Avatar
DaniLore DaniLore is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1260
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
Posts: 410
Sylvi the Paladin
right-aligned image
Upon entering the sanctum, Sylvi slowed her advance as her eyes fell on the platform and the grotesque display that was surely the source of countless atrocities and woes. Wickedness had birthed its very existence; and, as a consequence, a curse had rightly befell the inhabitants of this House. None could deny that the abrupt silence was unnerving, even now her heart pounded with adrenaline, half expecting an ambush. Lifting one foot after another, Sylvi climbed the steps of the platform, fixed on the wretched altar stained with blood. The deafening quiet seemed to amplify the outrage that reverberated from that cold block of stone. It was so eerie how it screamed to her without sound, pain itself reaching out through the expressively hewn faces.

The Evil was so palpable, like an icy wind that gnawed at the flesh, extinguishing all hope. In this moment, she could finally understand Calder’s blind hatred for black magic and wicked venerations, grasping the fear that spurned a paladin’s righteous zeal. She had long resented all those tales that had tramautized her as a young child—how the Tor’Velys bloodline had been savagely culled thanks to such cowardly ilk. Because of monsters like these, she would never know her kindred, nor return to the land of her birthright. On top of that, realizing that a baby had been brought here, to this spot, to die stirred a rage like nothing she had felt before.

Sylvi approached the altar, bracing for what she might find. Having lost sight of Arquiztex early on, and numbly aware of the ridiculously large mound of bones piled up not far away, Sylvi’s mind returned to the promise she had made to Rose and Thorn.

She had vowed to find Walter, so before the Reckoning, she would look for him in the place where his life had ended.


 


 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal

Last edited by DaniLore; 06-12-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #695  
Old 06-12-2020, 09:53 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 1313
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 1,200
Mercy Petreva, Human Light Cleric
right-aligned image
As soon as she gets around the corner and can see stairs up out of the water, Mercy rushes up the stairs and stands against the wall there, dripping. Without the chants she can hear things with sudden clarity: the hiss and swish of Arquiztex in the water, the churning sound of Sylvi marching defiantly toward the dais, the sound of the door opening across the room and the others climbing through.

After getting her breath and giving up on her poor disgusting shoes, she will make her way around toward the alcove with the rubbish in it, shield up, to support Thane, still staying up on the ledge. As she approaches she'll try to get a better look at what's in there,
Dice Roll:
d20+3 (1)+3 Total = 4
shining her light into the opening. Is it garbage, corpses? What trash would be created by whatever was going on down here?


OOCMaybe the baby's corpse is in the rubbish pile?


Mercy’s ActionsMove: Around the wall toward the alcove with the garbage.
Action:Perception check: Nope.


 

 

Last edited by lostcheerio; 06-12-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #696  
Old 06-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Exfilia Exfilia is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Posts: 902
Arquiztex finds a few bones--human, mostly--in the mud on the bottom, and a rusty dagger that snaps when she pulls it from the muck. It looks like there's something really gross spilling out of the gap across from the portcullis, but other than that, she doesn't notice anything in the water, until she touches something that seems alive.

Herr Doktor Wens determines that this is an chamber dedicated to religious rituals--particularly nasty ones, from the looks of it. I mean, an altar carved with what might be writhing ghouls? Really? And the position of those chains, and the stains beneath them, are suggestive of human, demihuman or humanoid sacrifice.



Mercy works her way around the room on the south side until she can see into the opening. There is a... a mass, a peculiarly nasty mass in there. It looks like there might be body parts involved, but they aren't attached the way they're supposed to be. And somehow, for some reason--it might be just the water stirring as Mercy's companions wade and swim through it--but for some reason, something seems to quiver.

Rolen bravely wades into the water, even though he can't see what's down there. Shortly, though, something scaly touches his leg.

And then Rolen and Arquiztex realize that they've bumped into one another.

And as Sylvi climbs to the platform, the chanting rises again, and thirteen dark apparitions appear on the ledges overlooking the room. Each one resembles a black-robed figure holding a torch, but the torch's fire is black and seems to draw light into it. Under their hoods, where you'd expect there to be faces, you see naught but yawning voids.

"One must die!" they chant, over and over. "One must die! One must die!"

Yeah, so, what do you want to do now?
__________________
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that.
Reply With Quote
  #697  
Old 06-12-2020, 01:33 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,753
Zilgim Gummen, Forest Gnome Monk
left-aligned image


Zilgrim responds to the hovering, shouty apparitions with an exasperated sigh.

"That is ... the problem. ... With these ... simple minded cults ... not only ... are they ... all dirt ... and mold ... and filthy conditions. ... But they ... don't know ... what to do ... with ... a sacrifice. ... Give them ... a baby ... and they ... still ... want ... more. ... No ... imagination. Neither ... art ... nor ... finesse. ... Right, Doktor? ... Annoyingly, ... all Sturm ... and no ... drang."

Shaking his head in disgust, Zilgim walks toward the center of the side passageway as his eyes follow the aimless flights of the chanting spirits. Then, standing almost directly opposite the raised platform, he bellows out to the spirits in an uncharacteristically fluid flow of speech.

"Or what? What will you do? If you want one to die, then why don't you attack us? But you can't even do that, can you? You and your puny, putrid lord? A lord who can't even move about, am I right? Go haunt some feeble minded squirrel, you worthless, airy, underbaked spirits!"

"What? ..." he says, looking at his companions around him who might have reacted to his shout. "It is ... all ... true. ... Ho!Ho!"



 

 

Last edited by bananabadger; 06-12-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #698  
Old 06-12-2020, 01:50 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
-.-- --- / .... ---
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 2,753

Arquiztex swiftly rises from the water when she bumps into the living object.

"Oh, thought so. Not smell like fish," she says to Rolen as she becomes aware of the apparitions flying overhead. "Also not smell like fish," she says looking at them and trying to recall if she has ever seen or heard of such things before. Spirits, yes, but what type specifically? And why were they so eager to die? Arcane check = 11Arquiztex was at a loss. Hopefully, she would be able to easily kill one of them, after all it seemed they were practically begging the group to choose which one of the spirits would be sacrificed.



 


 

Last edited by bananabadger; 06-13-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #699  
Old 06-12-2020, 02:59 PM
Exfilia Exfilia is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Posts: 902
Arquiztex's arcana check reminds her that something that's not alive probably can't die.
__________________
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that.
Reply With Quote
  #700  
Old 06-12-2020, 04:51 PM
DaniLore's Avatar
DaniLore DaniLore is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1260
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
Posts: 410
SylviThe horrid echos of the past returned, calling for more blood. Sylvi lifted her sword, pointing the silvered blade at them as if to say come if you dare! Ready in a fighting stance, after searching the altar for Walter's remains, the paladin waited for the Evil to unveil itself from the putrefied depths.


ActionAction: Perception
Dice perception:
1d20+1 (15)+1 Total = 16


 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal

Last edited by DaniLore; 06-12-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #701  
Old 06-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Crucius's Avatar
Crucius Crucius is offline
Old Sphinx
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 932
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Posts: 803
Liiare
right-aligned image
As she finally saw the source of the ghastly whispers, Liiare prepared herself for their strike, pulling her silvered dagger to mirror the shortsword in her hand.


Character InfoCharacter Sheet
Hit PointsDivine SenseLay on HandsHit Dice
15/152/34/42/2d10
1st Slots2nd Slots3rd Slots4th Slots
2/2
__________________
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” -Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 06-12-2020, 10:32 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is online now
Dragoonies never say die!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 3029
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 1,801
An altar and audiance
right-aligned image
Rolen took a step back sending small waves rippling across the dark surface of the water as Arquiztex rose out of it. "No, not fish. And I'm glad that you are you." He followed the gaze of the dripping lizard before him and noticed the shadow-cultists then heard their death-chant. A cold wave of dread washed over the ranger until he realized they weren't moving to attack. They were likely caught in their own curse cycle outside of death.

Zilgim's bold response re-lit the fire inside of Rolen, he drew his shortswords determined to press on and break the curse. "The monk is right I think, they can not do anything. They're stuck in some kind of loop, more victims of this fell place. Willing victims I'd wager." The elf pointed a sword at the hole in the wall "I believe our path takes us in there." He continued on his original course and when he reached the debris choking the opening, he jabbed his swords into the floating detritus.

 

 
__________________
Owain ap Gwalchmei of Snowdonia; Jack of Tales, Dashing rogue; Rolen Liadon, Barovia Buddy; I have taken the oath. “Stand high long enough and your lightning will come.” -Willam Gibson
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 06-12-2020, 11:28 PM
Oakie's Avatar
Oakie Oakie is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 1230
Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie
Posts: 741
Herr Doktor Johanne Peoter Wens
right-aligned image
One must die ... thinks Herr Doktor Wens. So, a blood sacrifice is demanded, as is obvious by the necrotic aesthetic and emanations. But why?

Pondering these questions, Herr Doktor Wens moved along the ledge towards the dais, then clambered down into the filthy water, then up to the last stair from the top. Walking around the octagon, heEldritch Sight, aka Detect Magic examined it with his Third Eye open, circling toward the altar, trying to determine from mundane and arcane design what might happen should a sacrifice be made. He also kept an eye out for stage trickery in the design, as many religions incorporate to woo the uneducated.

ACTIONS
 

STAT BLOCK
 


__________________

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 06-13-2020, 04:38 AM
Carver's Avatar
Carver Carver is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-02-2020
RPXP: 567
Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver
Posts: 273
Thane, Wood Elf Rogue
right-aligned image
"There is definitely power in this house," remarked Thane. "Do not assume them to be so useless." He clutched his whip and dagger ready. There seemed agreement that none of them would make a fair sacrifice. Not even the dog. Which meant the ritual would not be honored.

 
__________________
Current Status: Dreaming of a Vampire the Masquerade game being advertised
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 06-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Exfilia Exfilia is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Posts: 902
"One must die!" The figures on the rim of the pool continue their chant, ignoring Gummen's imprecations.

Liiare and Thane stand ready.

Sylvi's notices a bundle of white fabric on the altar, and Wens follows the direction of her gaze and sees it, too.

They both also note that it looks like there's about to be a fight down in the water.

Mercy's light shines down on what looks like somebody melted--a very big somebody--and yet is somehow alive, or possibly undead there in the alcove. When Rolen stabs into the fleshy mess, the chanting changes. Now the cultists proclaim, louder and with more urgency, that "The end comes! Death be praised! The end comes! Death be praised!"

They may be right, as the creature--it's called a Flesh Mound--raises a great pseudopod of deliquesced tissue studded with decomposing body parts and slams it into Rolen. It knocks him prone, underwater, and the mound attempts to engulf him, but the limber elf manages to wriggle free.

What would you like to do now?
__________________
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that.

Last edited by Exfilia; 06-13-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB