Game Thread Ch. 7: Goin' Back to Cragmaw - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 10:53 AM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
WE DON’T NEED NO WATER LET THE MU---etc

Who wants to be poisoned AND cursed? Fru does not raise her hand. Instead Anya spreads fingers, thumbs touching in that familiar way, leaning in close to deploy sheets of flames down the hole into the vines. Fru lights a torch off off a passing spark.

The bad news is, Anya is feeling drained now. The good news is, only the most dexterous of creatures can escape Anya’s burning. Plants are not known for being NIMBLE. Other good news: they are known for being flammable. Why did no one bring marshmallows?

Oh, right. Because the smoke might be poisonous as well. They step back and wait for the flames to die down.

If the way is clear, they will head in. If not, Fru will use her torch to try to and clear it MORE.

 

 


 

Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 02:36 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13055
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 5,122
TunnelAnya sends her flamethrower action down the tunnel and everything down there is incinerated in a hot, righteous bath of fire. You give it a few minutes and when the smoke clears you drop down through the door. It's about ten feet down, and the tunnel heads northeast, toward the manse.

It's about six feet high, there's some remnants of smoking vines here and there, and singed twigs and leaves still clinging to the walls. It smells bad but Anya sniffs deeply and pronounces it not poisonous. The walls of the tunnel are rough hewn from rock. After about thirty feet, although Anya's fire hasn't reached that far, the vines resolve more into ropey branches pressed up against the sides of the tunnel, and the poisonous leaves are there but you can avoid them.

As you head down the tunnel let me know if you want to pull the door shut, and make a perception check and anything else that's relevant (stealth, survival if you want to track Bertie, etc.).

Last edited by lostcheerio; Jul 16th, 2020 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 02:57 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
Back Door, Bad Sneak!

They close the door behind them but leave it unlatched. The LAST thing they need is a buncha orcs flanking them. But they also want Uncle Drood to be able to join them when he gets back. She thinks about going in the manse itself, via the door, as Bertie knows they probably saw this entrance and could be setting up an ambush, but her uncle believes they are going in this way, so she sticks to their hasty plan.

Once safely down, Fru douses her torch. She and Ripper, in the lead, are quiet as little tunnel mice, but Anya is clanking a bit as she sets up enough light to let her avoid the leaves. It spills off her clipboard and she tries to help everyone navigate the tunnel without getting poisoned.

“Where did he go?” Fru asks her dog, who tries to sniff out Bertie-Orc among all the other orcs and smoke smells. That smoky haze is also bothering both girls, making it hard to see, but they still strain to listen.

Fru is very aware that the vines could hide side tunnels. They proceed slowly toward the manse, Ripper in the lead to sniff out Bertie, Arrows and teeth at the ready.

 

 


 

Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 07:42 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13055
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 5,122
At the End of the TunnelYou travel down the tunnel about 100 feet, holding out your torch and lighting the way, being somewhat stealthy but also giving Ripper his head to track the orc. He feels confident that the orc has gone down this way — in fact there’s no turning or door in the tunnel that you can see. It feels like the tunnel goes slightly down as you move along but not steeply.

At about fifty feet in you get that weird feeling that tunnels sometimes give where you’re like... hmmm, it would take me a long time to go back at this point. But you press on inspired by Ripper who doesn’t care about such things, and Anya who’s clacking her clipboard on every vine you pass.

Shortly after this you see a dim light up ahead. It’s very dim, and kind of shadowy. Like leafy. Ripper looks back at you like come on, and you follow at a faster pace now, and you come to the end of the tunnel. It ends in... dim darkness, but no door, just space. And right in front of the opening is the viney, thick, twisted trunk of a tree.

Looking out of the opening, you see stonework walls going out from the sides of the tunnel opening in a vertical shaft around the trunk of this gnarled thick tree. Sunlight is filtering down through the shaft from high above.

Make a perception check and say where you’re looking.

OOCIm having a hard time describing this — sorry!

Last edited by lostcheerio; Jul 16th, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 07:59 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
Up, Down, and All Around

It is like a long shaft to accommodate a tree? With no sideways path to turn into and walk in a reasonable way... Only UP or DOWN.

Like, there must be ROOTS low, and sun and branches HIGH, and... perhaps another horizontal tunnel on the other side of the trunk where they cannot see?

They can’t really look AROUND the tree, not without getting RIGHT ON IN THERE, so Fru, the optimist, looks up. ALAS! She is anxious spiders (or orcs) might drop on her face from above, so she barely pokes her head in and cannot see far.

Anya, the realist, looks DOWN. But she too is cautious, thinking arrows could come up at her face, but at least BUGS are not likely, so she pokes her head out a little farther than Fru.

Ripper cognates none of this. He is IMMEDIATE. He breathes in through his nose, seeking Bertie. He pricks up his ears, seeking orc-noise. He looks where his keener senses tell him to look, and he looks best of all.

 

 


 


Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jul 16th, 2020 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 08:11 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13055
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 5,122
The Tree in the ShaftRipper is 100% sure to his very bones that the orc went up this tree. He barks short and sharp, looking up.

You see, with this good instruction, that there are a couple of scuffed branches and broken twigs... like an orc boot might have trod here or an orc fist grabbed.

You judge that the sun is about 20 feet up.
OOCYou must make an athletics check to climb this tree if you want to — there are plenty of hand and footholds available so its not going to be that hard except for Ripper. Ripper is going to need a carry or a harness of some kind, something to help him...? If someone is carrying Ripper just in her arms she’s going to roll athletics with disadvantage. The DC is 10. If you fail you fall, make a Dex check and I’ll tell you what happens. Please also add a nature check to this post.

Last edited by lostcheerio; Jul 16th, 2020 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 08:31 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
WTB Thumbs

Ripper-of-the-Lace-Sleeves could SWARM up. ELEGANTLY. He is so dexterous. How terrible to not be in the Bright. HOW TERRIBLE to be four legged and thumbless and un-dance-able.

FINE. Between them, they have a 100 feet of rope. Fru uses hers to fashion a harness, doubled.



Ripper. Hates. It.

He has never even submitted to so much as a COLLAR since that ONE time in Alfriston. He fidgets and squirms, and in the end, it is Boss who puts it on him and checks the knots and gives him SUCH a hairy eyeball that he tail tucks and submits.

Anya’s rope is tied to it, tucked loosely in her belt loop, so if she DROPS, it will not pull him down or hang him.

They begin to climb. If it less than 50 feet, they will haul Rips up together, once they are not VERTICAL. If it is more than 50 feet, they will have to re-decide...

Fru goes FIRST. But she is very anxious about her dog and not paying attention. WHOOPS! There is NO WAY SHE DOES NOT PLUMMET.

Except.

ANYA climbs like a CLIMB GODDESS who was BORN for climbing. As Fru loses her grip, the Anya tries, very hard, to catch Fru and help her. She grabs Fru;s wrist, and Fru, with a sideways wiggle worthy of a nautch dancer, catches a branch. They pant and stare at each other, big-eyed, then continue, hoping they have enough rope...

 

 


 


Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jul 16th, 2020 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 09:00 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13055
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 5,122
Was that an accident?You head up the tree, going first, putting your feet on the larger branches and pulling yourself up with the smaller ones. It smells bad, like mushrooms or worms. And it feels bad, a little spongy and too springy. It’s hard because there are the leaves which scrape against you with little prickles of poison, and the vines are almost kind of visibly growing and moving in a distracting way. You get the distinct impression that this is not a nice tree.

You pull on a branch and it snaps. And what comes out of the branch where the bark breaks isn’t sap or resin but something thick and red — blood! Super gross! You get the sense in that instant that the vines are too close, the walls of the shaft too close, the trunk expanding to crush you against the walls, and you lose your grip and fall.

Fortunately Anya is below you, and her hand snaps out and grabs you by the armor and pulls you back to safety.

“Go on,” she says motioning for you to go first again, presumably so she can catch you again. You head back up and as you get to the branch that broke you see a face and an arm emerge from the vines... a viney face and a woodish arm, and it grasps the broken branch and seals it back up again.

“You mustn’t hurt the tree,” it says to you in a rough whisper. The blood that flowed has dropped onto the lower branches, onto your hand, onto Anya’s face when she looks up from below to ask, “what?”

“Was that an accident?” It asks you, staring at you with eyes you realize are completely blind. “Bertie?” It asks.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
OMG THAT WAS AN ACCIDENT

OF COURSE IT WAS AN ACCIDENT
, Someone-the-Orc says. She says it with Fru’s mouth, but she sounds perfectly orky and very distressed that she has harmed the tree! NO ONE WOULD HURT THE TREE ON PURPOSE! WE WOULD SNAP ALL THEIR BONES IF THE EVEN THOUGHT TO HURT THE TREE! I AM NEW---I GOT A TRACT! A LIFE CHANGING TRACT THAT TOLD ME OF TALOS AND I LOVE TALOS AND NOW WANT ONLY TO BE SERVING TALOS WITH MY FELLOW ORCS AND BE GOOD TO THE TREE. BERTIE WAS SUPPOSED TO TELL ME WHERE TO GO AND ALL ABOUT OUR MISSION HERE, AND THEN HE GOT ALL FIGHTY WITH SOME HERETICS TOPSIDE... CAN YOU HELP ME, OH MOST PERFECT TREE? I AM HUNGRY TO KNOW MORE AND ALL THE THINGS ABOUT OUR MISSION SO I CAN SERVE TALOS AND HELP THE TREE AND ALL THAT LIKE THAT!

Anya stares up, her eyes exactly SO round they are like the perfect little teacakes Nan used to make. Then she grins.

Fru grins back. So she sucks at Not Falling Out of Trees. ANYA was JUST THIS SECOND PERFECT at that and caught her, so she did not plummet, and NOW she is being perfect at Lying To Hard To Climb Trees.

TILOA!
 

 


 


Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jul 16th, 2020 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 09:38 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13055
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 5,122
TILIES TO TREESOA!
right-aligned image
The whispering thing pushes a leg out, and reaches toward you, extending a weird, viney tongue from its splintered gash of a mouth. You lean back... lean back... it whispers its terrible tongue toward you... but then it decides you're ok. It retreats into the tree. You see that it is not attached to the tree, really. It's kind of its own thing, but blending and twisting into the tree parts.

"Go to Grannoc in the study," he says to you. "My little brothers have all been summoned and dispatched to the Circle of Thunder. There you should go too, for the ritual. He can show you where it is on a map."

He slinks back around the tree. "Talos be praised," he adds as an afterthought. But you get the sense he's more into the tree than he is into pamphlets and storm-worshipping. You climb the rest of the way out and up, and emerge at the top in the middle of a flagstoned courtyard that has a pillared arcade to the east. Seven windows on the upper level overlook the courtyard, in the middle of which is a five-foot-wide stone well with thick vines and the top of a greyish, horribly twisted and gnarled tree erupting from it.

OOCYou are back on the map now. I recommend 200% zoom. There are doors in the courtyard where the little white boxes are and also ruined openings where doors used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 10:01 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
Dogsy Upsy

They pull Ripper up. He dandles, butt up, head hanging, DEEPLY suffering, but once he is in the courtyard, and Anya takes her rope and Fru works the harness off, he immediately forgets all these terrible binding things happened to him because they are not CURRENTLY happening, and he cheerfully wants to kill orcs and orally invasive tree-whatnots.

They can all agree on that. With NO TALKING AT ALL, Tiloa is unanimously agreed to burn that thing ALL the way down to ashes.

PERHAPS if it is dead then the TWIGGERTS or TWIGGUMS or TWIGVERTS (perverted twigs?) who are gathering in a terrible place for a HORRID ritual will die too.

But first, ORCS. FIRST, Grannoc-in-the-study. Then they burn this whole MANSE down and this thing with it.

Ripper, can you find BERTIE? TRACK!, Fru wheedles and Anya, behind her, silently demands. Bertie will be with Grannoc, In the Study, According to her new friendly-friend the LICKING TREE-BOMINATION.

Ripper sniffs about.

Here are three true stories that bards will one day sing about Tiloa:

Anya doesn’t allow natural law to trouble them if the axiomatic rightness of Torm's burning would not be served by, say, gravity. She serves his higher law, and physics and falling can suck it.

Fru lies like a natural born Fey, so convincing that in the moment, she believes the romance of being a tract-converted Orclet who loves Talos and evil trees, and the eviltreething believes with her, and helps them.

And Ripper. Well. Ripper is NOW. And NOW? Ripper knows where Bertie is.

He knows where Bertie was and is and will be, nose without end, amen. Ripper knows.

They follow him.

 

 


 


Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jul 17th, 2020 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 10:26 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13055
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 5,122
Ripper KnowsRipper immediately trots through the ruined opening to the north and would like to bolt right up the stairs. You follow him, getting a sense of the layout of the rooms around you from the majestic power of Ripper's perception. Before you is the moldy wooden staircase up, to your right is an opening to a sort of dining room. You see a smashed table and chairs in there. To your left is the double door entrance you had seen from outside, and beside the stairs you see the entrance to a parlor, a rotten rug spread on the stone floor.

OOCRipper is clearly indicating that Bertie has gone up -- I decided to "honor" his crit by removing some of the fog of war from this level of the manse, and he won't need to make another tracking check when he gets upstairs if you go up there. Giving you a chance to NOT go upstairs or have him go up, if that's what you'd prefer, or you can go on up. Make a perception check for general awareness or investigation if you'd like to examine something specific.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 10:38 AM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
Stairs for 1000, Alex

They are going to follow Ripper. The nose knows, so up they goes.

Do the stairs seem trapped? They look at them closely, but...They seem FINE, probably, especially to Anya, who has never seen safer stairs.

They creep up in the order of Ripper-Anya-Fru, sticking to the edges in case the stairs ARE trapped in some way they have not seen.

Ripper is Bertie-focused, but Anya and Fru have their eyes and ears wide open as they go... Wide, wide, wide open. All their little neck-back hairs are standing up.

 

 


 


Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 10:59 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13055
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 5,122
StairsRipper roars up the stairs, no problem. Sure enough, you hear, up there, footsteps quickly thumping across the ceiling. You carefully go up, being aware of what might be trapped.

OOCThe stairs are in fact trapped for anyone over 50 pounds. I'm assuming Ripper is under, so he goes up without triggering the trap. Because you've RPed that you're suspicious, I've reduced the DC to 10, even though you didn't have a high enough investigation to avoid it. So, if Fru fails a DC 10 Dex save, please roll a d6 to determine how many spikes there are planted under the stairs, and another d6 to determine how much damage each one does to you.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 11931
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 5,362
Stairs for 1000, Alex

The stairs give way, and Anya starts to tumble onto a nasty collection of spikes that jut up like cleric-hungry teeth. She snaps out a hand and catches herself on the banister, dangling precariously for half a skipped heartbeat. Fru grabs the back of her red cloak and helps haul her up.

Ripper looks over his shoulder, mildly puzzled, like, What are you DOING falling through the stairs I walked up with no trouble! Bertie is THIS WAY, stop PLUMMETING.

You did NOT just call us fat, Fru whispers, her brows thunderous.

Rip turns back to the exciting scent of Bertie and his kidneys, and perhaps it is a trick of the light, but she could SWEAR for a moment he SHRUGGED at her. A GALLIC shrug, even.

Anya extends an arm and helps her over the trap, and they continue up toward the footsteps and Bertie-smells.

 

 


 

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB