Game Thread Round 2 D&D 5e - gath, retry, Mythrandil, rhaiber - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2020 > Outplay 2020 Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 03:39 PM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 25405
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 19,385
Round 2 D&D 5e - gath, retry, Mythrandil, rhaiber


An Official InviteNot everyone got one. You did, one of the lucky few. You got a sponsorship to support you in joining the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild. You have 3 days to set your affairs in order, and use some of that sponsor money, before it is time to show up at the local chapter of the Crossing Companions, for the next round of tryouts. From what you hear, the next round can be pretty rough on new recruits. They make you fight some kind of mechanical monsters. Not only do you have to do well, you have to show that you know how to work as a group, putting your fate in the hands of those whom you will be attempting to tryout with. How does that even work, when you are competing for a spot? Well, one way or another, you are going to find out pretty quickly.

Shopping Time!You have been given 500 go by your sponsor. You may use this to purchase any weapons, armor, and adventuring gear from the PHB, If the price is not in the PHB, no you can not buy it. The only exception would be light re-skinning of items that are in the PHB.using the prices listed there. Please include all purchases in an OOC fieldset at the bottom of your post. Additionally, you do have enough funds to buy a magic item or two from a select list:

 



Combat TryoutsYou show up at the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild office, ready to show your worth. Sir Ethen meets you as you enter, and promptly ushers you to a side room. Other recruits arrive at the same time, some coming to your room, others to another across the hallway. The training room is fairly basic. Stone walls show marks from misfired weapons and spells. The floors are covered in surprisingly soft dirt that, as far as you can tell, doesn't have too many bloodstains in them. You are directed to stand along the wall of one side of the room, where you wait a few minutes until Sir Ethen makes his way back to give you instructions.

"Glad you found you way over!" Sir Ethen says in his cheery voice. "That is part of the test. If you can't' find an address, well, that immediately rules you out. Luckily all of you lot passed that part. Right, so combat! Not every job we are contracted for requires it, but a large portion do. Winning a fight is rarely a one-man job though. It takes a well-coordinated group. We have a special challenge set up for you today to test how well you can perform as an individual, and how cohesive you can be working together. So, you will get points for doing your roll, not just winning the fight. We have those who take the front line in battles. While they might be able to dish out some punishment, really their job is to keep the enemies away from their weaker allies. They can do this by simply taking all the hits themselves, or controlling how the enemies can move about the field of battle. We have our second line combatants, who usually use spells, or ranged weapons to really dish out a lot pain on the foes. And, we have everyone's favorite, the support heroes! They heal our boo-boos, or use magic and tactics make our front and second-line fighters more effective, or even make our enemies less effective in combat. Of course, we like everyoen to help out with that support role when they can. I have a pretty good idea of where I think you all probably fit in, but go ahead and let us know. We are also keeping score of how many of our special friends you take down today, so your group's performance will matter too. We will keep sending them at you, until time runs out. Don't worry about getting killed though, Saint Cecelia is here to make sure nobody is permanently killed during our trials. Oh, the other sponsors are here too, just for good measure." Sir Ethen waits for everyone to list their roles. "Ok then, I am going to step out into the hallway, and into our observation room. When you hear the alarm bell go, it's off to the races!"


The Bell has Rung!

1 square = 5'
Outside edge are stone wall, the ceiling is 20' high



OODMYour DM for this group is Bhelogan

It is Combat time! We're not going to roll initiative, you can just launch into it. You may take two sorts of actions in your first post:
1) In the round before combat starts, you may take one "preparatory" action. This is not combat, so you may not do anything that has any impact on the enemies. You may do things to support yourself or the members of your party, like casting a spell (such as Mage Armor), or using an item like a potion.
2) You may take your full host of combat actions, for round 1 of true combat.

Actions will take place in the order POSTED.

Please make sure to include a stat block, including everything the DM will need to run the match. I ask that in an OOC fieldset after your RP block, that you include all of your mechanical information, such as Action, Move, Location, Bonus Action, Reactions, and so forth. I have provided you an AC, so you should include damage in your post for any successful attacks, as well as for any effects that might cause damage, depending on whether the target fails or succeeds on a saving throw.

Players:
NI - Nicole
RU -Rudolph
GA - Gary Bryman
GI - Ginnifer


S<X> - Clockwork Spider AC 15


Score Mechanics
In your first post, please list your role in combat: Frontline fighter or Second Line. The following actions in your stated roll will earn you 3 mechanical points during the round. The last action in each list will only be handed out once, at the end of combat and earn you 5 points. If you perform an action that falls under another category, you still score 1 point for it. Any single action will only qualify for one type of point. Example, performing an action that puts an enemy at disadvantage will not give you a point under both Support and Second Line. Support actions are available to everyone, and worth 2 points each

Frontline ActionSecond LineSupport
Be attacked by an EnemyMove to avoid being a targetPerform an action to heal an ally
Hit an enemy with a Melee AttackHit an enemy with a ranged attackPerform an action to buff or help an ally
Move to stop an enemy from advacingPerform an action to give a tactical advantage 
Lose over 1/3 health in combat*Finish combat with greater than 1/2 health 
* Being healed does not count against you, we are tracking how much damage you take in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outplay_2020_Battlemap_R0.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	85999  
__________________
Always taking new players for City of Endless Arenas
Characters: Saber - Svaly Contact: dmbhelogan@gmail.com - Check out: My Map Tutorials

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 26th, 2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: It's Ethan, not Ether...
  #2  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is online now
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 22306
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 6,923
Super Gary
right-aligned image
The pouch of coin obtained from Sir Stephonston felt comfortable in Gary's weathered hands. Smiling gleefully at it for it was the most the fighter had ever received in one lump. Imagining all the coffee he could purchase sent him off into the land of dreams as he strolled along.

Strolling through the city of Harthford, Gary eventually comes upon an armory. Rusty brown eyes peer out over darkened bags at the splint armor on display. A glance at his old worn chain mail and then back at the splint armor his mind was made up - or so he had thought. Just trying it on he could feel his bones give beneath the weight and his body screaming out. The panicked shopkeep assisted in getting him out of the armor as fast as possible. "Man, who knew!? Ol' Gary's cause of death was putting on some new duds!!" the hoarse laugh attempted to cover his embarrassment. Heading out Gary was, once again, wracking his brain trying to figure out what to buy. The thought of coffee once more appeared in his mind "Later you old twit!" Gary reprimanded himself with a grin.

An unusual naval blue cloak was spotted from the window of a magic shop. Gary always strayed from these weird places, well - primarily because they were full of weird stuff! Plus everything costs an arm and a leg, sometimes in a literal sense too.

Venturing in it didn't take much effort on the shopkeeper's part to persuade him into buying the cloak. He honestly didn't understand too much of what was being said - except that he thought he'd look cool wearing it! Following the instructions given to him, Gary attunedfocused on the cloak for a while - but didn't feel anything. This was likely the most expensive fashion statement he's ever made. Chuckling to himself Gary pondered if he'd made the right choice.




The elderly fighter stood with a goofy grin watching the other three arrive, his trusted morningstar and kite shield already drawn having seen the room. The naval blue cloak covering his shoulders and back gave the image of a grandfather dressing up for his grandkids. When the halfling gladiator stepped into the room Gary quickly chirped "Unbowed Rudy ya old hound dog! Good to see you again, brother!" accompanied by his typical laugh. When Nicole and Ginnifer arrived Gary gave a friendly nod holding his weapon and shield low "Well hey ladies! Glad to see you gals again! Looks like you're stuck with an old coot for the first trial! Swear I won't drag you down!"

When the team was ready, the door closing, and the bell rang; the old fighter raised his weapon and shield once more "Alright folks! We got us a party! I'll take the front and hold their attention the best I can!"

With that, Gary started advancing lightly hitting his morningstar against his shield to cause a ruckus. "HEEEEY YA MEC-HAN-IC UGLIES! HEEEERE SOME DRIED OLD BONES!~♪" the coffee crazed old man sang pondering if they could understand him, preparing himself to lower his weapon and focus on blocking and dodging as they approach.

OOC/StatBlockRole: Frontline Fighter

Tried not to go too far ahead so Gary can move to intercept if they try and go around.
 

Last edited by Retry; Jul 20th, 2020 at 10:45 AM.
  #3  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 02:25 PM
Mythrandil's Avatar
Mythrandil Mythrandil is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 4697
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Posts: 1,915
”Shopping Spree”Rudy reads it again, the boldly inked words swelling his soul trice over. Welcome [Rudolph] to the Crossing Companions. Rudy didn’t care that the sponsorship letter – crisp paper now soft with repeated, caring furling and unfurling – was strictly boilerplate. It reminded him of what was important: Sir Stefphonston’s gruff but caring smile, a firm handshake, the other hand extending a pouch of gold, and a stern admonishment ‘Don’t make me regret this.’ That simple leather pouch concealed ten pounds of solid, ineffable wealth. Rudy was not sure which it weighed heavier upon: his belt, or his heart. Both weights had drawn him, with irresistible gravity, to Harthford’s Merchant Quarter. Here, a gentleman may procure any good from any corner of the known world, and a good many from beyond if rumors are true. He had already bought a nice hunting trap, good for keeping sneaky enemies at bay. The glint of shining metal caught his eye – a breastplate, gleaming in the cheery sunlight. In far too big a size, of course – not that Rudy would ever be caught dead roaming a battlefield encased in a glorified coffin. His fighting style was about fluidity, artistry. Sure, the armor would take a few blows in his stead, but where was the glory in that?

Later, Rudy finally found what he was looking for. "Cloak of Protection you say?" he asked as he fingered the fine material. Dull and gray, it certainly looked utilitarian. "Could you enchant my cloak in the same way?" He whips his albino pantherfur cloak around him in a stylized swish.

"Sure, if you can wait 20 days." the vendor answered.

Twenty days! Rudy would be expected to perform in three, really two-and-a-half after his hours shopping. Crestfallen, he turned to continue perusing the stalls and shops. As he was about to leave, a sign caught his eye. Laughing aloud, Rudy turned. "Five hundred gold pieces, you said? I think we both are lucky this day."

One dun cloak richer – and ten pounds lighter – Rudy rushed into the shop he had seen across the street, golden needle lovingly painted on the sign. Breathing even despite the run, Rudy addressed the plump tailor: "I have a proposition…"
”Killing Spree”After Sir Ethan gave them the rundown, Rudy turned to Gary. "Notice anything different about me?" With the question, Rudy turned his fancy gladiatorial cloak, showing the new feature: a dark grey underside. Professionally stitched, the task had only taken a day and a half. "See? Just like yours, only mine has concessions to my own flair for the dramatic!" Rudy demonstrates. The flash of white fur beneath, while not quite as striking as before, still has a captivating effect upon the eye.

Rudy takes the few moments before the bell to introduce himself to the ladies. "Fond greetings, Nicole. And well met, Ginnifer the Tall. I have heard that you are a talented witch; I would be glad to be your shield." He winked when he called Ginnifer tall, though he was indeed shorter than the child. His offer to be a shield was likewise twinkled with humor; he twirled his twin offensive weapons to punctuate the joke.

"Mixed-equipment bouts are some of my favorite. Gary and I can keep the stronger combatants at bay, leaving the two of you two pick off stragglers. This shall be fun, yes!"

Rudy moved forward and set a hunting trap along the upper wall. "Careful if you come up here, this thing has sharp teeth!"

Shortly, the bell rang. Four spiderlike creature crawled from the far side of the room. Rudy began to sing.

There once was a beetle went flat flat flat!
There once was a bug went splat splat splat!
Hey doodle dittle, wait for me!
There's plenty of bugs to SPLAT!


Moving to zone the clockwork bugs from Nicole and Ginnifer, Rudy falls into Wind stance, perfect for retaliating in the same motion as a dodge. The cloak flares attractively, white clashing with grey.
”OOC”
 
  #4  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Gath's Avatar
Gath Gath is offline
Read It With A Smile!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 30030
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Posts: 27,840
right-aligned image
Sad to see Rill and Lumin asked to leave, Nicole accepted her invitation to go to the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild office. Sir Ether met her and welcomed her into a side room as other recruits arrived at the same time. "Rudy! Boy am I glad to see you! I hope we get to fight together." She said as the gladiator entered. Then Gary came in and she gave him a hug. "Good to see you!" Nicole beamed with glee as Ginnifir entered the room. ”Hi Ginni! Are you nervous about this next competition? I’ve never done real combat before, eesh!”

Saint Cecilia had been quite generous and offered some gold as well as a potion that would no doubt come in handy. Nicole tucked the potion into her pouch and then moved to the item dispensary and perused the wares. Many of them were appealing just as their own awesome creations, but Nicole was looking for something fun! - and pretty! ”Ooh, those are nice. May I try them?” she asked, pointing at the supple slippers of spider climbing. The vendor reached down and plucked them off the table and handed her a pair. Nicole pulled off her boots and slid on the supple slippers with satisfaction. ”I love them! I’ll take them!” She added, handing over the pouch of gold. She placed her boots in her pack and then hustled out to the arena.

Nicole was curious about this new scenario. She’d done some fencing training with Raylana, but that was just dueling with corks on the end of a foil. Sir Ether went over the rules. ’Not every job requires combat, but when it does winning is rarely a one man job. Coordinated efforts are key. Today’s test challenges your ability to perform as an individual and work as a unit. You will each have a role, melee or ranged, but anyone can offer support. There is an endless supply of these mechanical spiders so if you die, Saint Cecilia will bring you back. We’ll all be observing you. Good luck!’

”Right,” said Nicole. ”Don’t die, but it’s okay if you do. Also, be either ranged or melee, not both, or support, but anyone can do that also. I’m guessing Rudy and Gary are going in heavy…” Said Nicole, as she watched the two scamper into the ring looking for a fight. ”Yup. That leaves you and me, kiddo. I’m going up, but I’ll stay near you. We can work at ranged to keep these other ones occupied. Watch out for that trap that Rudy set there.” she said, pointing to the B7 or F3?square across the room.

Nicole tentatively stepped up onto the wall and was elated to feel that she was able to climb freely. She moved diagonally upward and then up toward the ceiling above where Ginnifir had started out. As she moved, the bard let out an odd limerick as she offered inspiration to Gary the ex-guardsman.

Inspiration
Gary was a guardsman from Everlund.
He was stoic, cantankerous, and sullen.
Tired of chasing the heathens,
He decided to join the Companions.
Against a swarm of mechanical spiders, he’d won!


Then, she turned to look at the spiders and down to Ginnifier and said, ”Okay, Rudy and Gary are going after the other two, that leaves the these two on this side. I’m going to go after the S4one to the right. You do what you think is best and I will be there to work with you. Rudy’s right though, I’m going to try and take care of the strays so that they can focus on the others and not get swarmed.”

Nicole looked to the southern spider and conjured a spectral by the spider, gripping at it with its oddly unnatural machinations with intentions of impending doom. "Ooh, so close!" she called out, as the hand dissipated.


ooc
Sell: Mason Tools 10gp
Purchase: Slippers of Spider Climbing 500gp, Wand 10gp
Gift: Potion of Healing

Role: Secondary+Support
Move: Away from creature - 15ft - E,2 > W,H,2
Action: Range Attk vs Creature - Chill Touch
Dice Chill Touch v S4:
1d20 10
(10)forgot my attack bonus+4=(14) Can’t Heal for 1 roundDamage
Dice Necrotic Damage:
1d8 4
(4)
Bonus Action: Buff - Bardic Inspiration (Gary) +1d6 on Atk/Ability/Save once within 10 minutes
Reaction:
Location: W,H,2

 


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Combat Round R1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	970.9 KB
ID:	86033  
__________________
1.1.20 - Reevaluating self. Attempting to learn and grow.
Painting the sky with butterflies and giants, a little boy dragon found a balloon in the sun.

Last edited by Gath; Jul 20th, 2020 at 06:17 PM.
  #5  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 09:15 PM
rhaiber's Avatar
rhaiber rhaiber is offline
not a fish
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 10648
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Posts: 3,219
Ginnifer Gooseblossom
right-aligned image
Ginnifer stared down at the sack of coins clutched tightly before her as she wandered the streets of Harthford’s Merchant Quarter. She had never had that much money. She had never even seen that much money before. Her mother had never required payment for any of her services from the local villagers, and often refused payment when it was offered.
”Our magick is born of light and air, little one,” she would say, ”The metals of man’s coins weight it down till it is no longer a thing of wonder.” On occasion, she would accept some small token or gift in return, but it usually took the form of a fresh-baked pie or a hand-carved trinket - never payment in gold. Ginnifer had once asked her mother why it was okay to take a woven blanket but not the money. ”Dear, we don’t take these things because we need them. In truth we have all we need. We accept these gifts for the joy it brings to the giver. Some folk are proud; it would insult them to refuse their gifts and they might refuse ours in return, even when they were greatly needed.”

Ginnifer thought about it for a moment. Something seemed to be missing.”Is that one of our lessons, mother? ‘A witch never takes payment’?”

Her mother shook her head slowly and sighed ”Would that it were so, little one. Would that it were so. Though no witch of our line has ever demanded it, there are others who have been seduced by man’s metal.”

”Did they lose their magicks?!?”

“Not quite, my dove, but it did change their magicks, twist them and warp them”

”Are they bad witches then?”

“We don’t judge others for being who they are, for following their own call. One day you may become the one in need, and I pray that you will not find compassion denied to you.”

Ginnifer’s attention was suddenly brought back to the present. Amidst the chaos and the clamour of the Market District - with merchants loudly declaring their ware and ushering passersby into their shops, the rumbling of fully laden carts careening down the street, the smells of every type of food imaginable all competing with each other for attention - Ginnifer caught sight of something she recognized. It was a witch’s mark, carved into the doorframe of a tiny dilapidated storefront. The young girl raced across the street, nearly colliding with an unsuspecting fishmonger in her enthusiasm to reach the familiar sign. She practically burst through the door, expecting to be greeted by all the familiar sights and smells of her mother’s workshop. But that was not what she found.

Instead of softly burbling cauldrons and fresh-growing herbs, she found herself surrounded by dress-forms clothed in a wide array of garish colors, a number of massive looms in various stages of progress, row upon row of cloaks and gowns, bolts of fabric rolled up and leaning against a wall, and seated at a high table in one corner a slender middle-aged man with spectacles perched atop his head, inspecting a piece of embroidery.

The man looked up at Ginnifer with narrowed eyes over his hawk-like nose. ”Can I … help you?” he inquired dubiously.

Ginnifer froze for a moment. She hadn’t really encountered many other witches before. Just her mother and herself really. She wasn’t exactly sure how to proceed. So she dug about in her pockets and retrieved the battered old letter, marched across the room and thrust her hand out before the man. He arched one eyebrow as he lowered his spectacles and unfolded the letter.

”Hmmmn. Saoirse’s child then. I can’t say I ever had the pleasure to meet your mother, though I know of her by reputation of course. My condolences to you of course.” The man folded the letter back up and handed it back to the little witch. ”Now, please tell me if there is any way that I can help you.” Though the question was more or less the same, the man’s tone had shifted from suspicious to sincere, ”I’m afraid I’ve no way to take on an apprentice at the moment. Besides, our magics are not the same at all. Your mother was an herb witch. She grew her magic from the very earth around her. Quite impressive, I’m told, though there are few enough of your kind left. I, on the other hand, am a weaver of spells. I bind magic in symbols of charms and protections.”

”Oh I’m not looking for an apprenticeship.” Ginnifer spoke up - for the first time she was just now realizing, ”Not that you wouldn’t be a great teacher or anything. It’s just that I’ve already been sponsored to join the Crossing Companions. Only, they have this practice fighting thing now, and … well … I’ve never been in a fight before. They told us to prepare ourselves, but I’m not really sure what to even do to prepare myself. I guess I was looking for some advice.”

”An adventuring guild? How old are you, girl? Never mind, no need to answer that. Your kind are always odd about age, either too old or too young, but somehow never in-between. Regardless, if you’ve no experience with combat you’ll need something to protect yourself …”

Rising from his seat, the old tailor meandered about his shop shuffling through the racks for a few minutes before pulling out an old tweed coat that still appeared a size or two bigger than Ginnifer needed, even if it was one of the smallest items of its kind.

”Here it is! This should do nicely. I suppose we can probably come to some sort of arrangement on account of your mother, but these things do still cost money, you know.”

Ginnifer grinned broadly as she dropped the sack of gold on the tailor’s desk with a thud, a number of coins dislodging themselves and rolling across the table before coming to a clattering halt. ”Will this be enough?

The tailor’s eyes widened as he quickly estimated the value of the gold from the size of the pile and the sound of its weight colliding with the table.

”Oh yes, that should do nicely.”




Ginnifer felt the butterflies doing summersaults in her stomach as she listened to Sir Ether … or was it Sir Ethan. Hell’s Bells! It had only been a day and she was having trouble keeping his name straight. She looked to her companions for the contest, hoping to gain some confidence by observing them.

Rudy was actively fearless. It was true the little halfling was shorter than she was, but he exuded pure confidence. And it may have been well earned, since it sounded like he’d been fighting his whole career.

Gary didn’t even even need to have been fighting his whole career. A fraction of his experience was probably still more than Ginnifer’s whole lifetime. He was always so jovial and somehow took everything in stride. But then again, that probably made sense. After all, he had sooooo much life experience, that this was probably all old-hat for him. Although, it kind of made Ginnifer wonder why he even needed to try out for the Crossing Companions.

And then, of course, there was Nicole, always at ease in any situation. She claimed that she hadn’t done much fighting before, but yet she confident enough to brush aside Sir Ethan’ (or was it Ether’s) instructions like she had heard them all a thousand times before. Meanwhile Ginnifer was anxiously hanging on his every word, wondering if she should be writing any of this down. She felt like she should certainly be asking questions, but wasn’t even sure which ones to ask until Sir Either-Ethan-or-Ether was already on his way off.

”Ummmmm, guys?” she finally found her voice as she entered the arena with her companions, ”I should probably tell you something: I’ve never been in a real fight before. Actually, I’ve never been in any kind of a fight before. I don’t even know how to tell if I’m a front-line type of person or a second-line type of person. But the way that Sir Ethan talked about Support Heroes, fixing boo-boos and all that, well that sounds the most like what I do. So that means I should stay toward the back, right?”

Ginnifer watched her new friends instantly spread themselves through the room, shouting out jokes and singing songs. Again, they were so obviously at ease that it only made her feel all the more self-conscious. The little witch shuffled a few steps forward and to the side, opting to do the opposite of spreading out and instead place herself in the center of her allies and as far away from danger as she could manage.

”Oh, I do have a freezing spell that might help out. It should ice over the gears on these doohickeys and make it harder for them to move. Should I try it out?”

Gripping her umbrella with both hands, Ginnifer whirled it about slowly. The panels of the umbrella’s canopy began bulging outwards as if straining to open wide while still held tightly shut by the thong lashed about its middle, causing it istead to inflate like the ribs of a massive furnace bellows. Leveling the tip and pointing it in the direction of one of the clockwork automatons and cried out ”Rime of the Narwhal’s Breath!”

The umbrella deflated like a balloon with a slow leak and seemed to belch forth a thick, white puff of cloud from its tip. The little cloud lumbered and bobbed as it slowly crossed the room to hover in the space over the mechanism, where it came to a stop before suddenly dropping from the air and dispersing in a cloud of miniature ice crystals.


ooc
Purchase: Coat of Protection 500gp,
Gift: Potion of Healing

Role: Secondary+Support
Move: step “into the pocket” at E3 to a position well defended by allies
Action: Cast Frostbite on clockwork spider S1. Spider must make Con Save DC13 or take
Dice frostbite damage:
1d6 6
(6) damage and suffer disadvantage on its next attack
Bonus Action:--
Reaction: Saved for Shield spell if attacked
Location: E3
 
__________________
"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives." -- Imveros
Help Me Find a Home for These Characters
  #6  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:12 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 25405
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 19,385
Round 1
Once the bell had rung, the group sprinted into action, making a fashion show of their new cloaks and slippers. The old coot was the first to move into action, taking a position towards the middle of the room. Trying to draw attention to himself, he did his best to taunt the mechanical spiders while keeping nimble on his toes. Rudy moved parallel to Gary, but prepared to stab any spider that got close. He wasn't sure if his trap was in the best location for what the initial setup looked like, but he didn't have time to run around the room planting traps before the bell rung. Nicole was the only one not sporting a new cloak, but her slippers had some fancy abilities of their own. She climbed the wall with easy, with hopes that the mechanical spiders did not posses the abilities of their living counterparts to do the same. So far, she was unable to tell if that was the case or not. Perhaps with a little more practice climinb walls, she would have been able to better place her chill touch spell. Perhaps not wanting to deal with Nicole potentially falling on her head, Ginnifer moved to take some cover by the trap Rudy had set. She tried out her freezing spell. Little shards of ice started to form on the spider, but as its gears kicked into action, she could see that it didn't quite freeze deep enough to slow the construct down.

The small machines then kicked into action, moving forward with a grinding of gears, and whistles of steam blowing from their sides. One got close enough to Rudy, that he slashed at it with his scimitar. Some of the legs looked mangled, and he could tell that another blow like that would permanently disable the device. The attack didn't stop the spider's advance though. Once it stood next to the halfling, a spew of oil shot out of the small cannon on its back. The second spider came close to Rudy as well. Unlick the first, its attack consisted of a small flair of fire. The blast came too early though, and didn't get close enough to Rudy to singe anything. The third spider crawled towards Gary. Another blob of oil was fired towards the old guard. The last spider made its way around the south side of the room, and pointed its cannon up the wall towards Nicole. Rather than spewing oil or flame, a small metal sling bullet was shot out of its cannon. The metal slug wagged Nicole painfully in her shin.



Battlemap

1 square = 5'
Outside edge are stone wall, the ceiling is 20' high
F3 - Rudy's Hunting Trap



OODM
S1 Con Save -
Dice S1 con save:
1d20+1 (14)+1 Total = 15
(15)
S2 vs. Rudy -
Dice S2 flair vs Rudy:
1d20+3 (2)+3 Total = 5
(5) to hit AC for a miss
S4 vs. Nicole -
Dice S4 cannon attack:
1d20+3 (15)+3 Total = 18
(18) to hit AC for
Dice cannon damage:
1d4+1 (4)+1 Total = 5
(5) bludgeoning damage
Players:
Adventurer Role AC HP Conditions
NI - Nicole Second line 13 4/9 none (20' up the wall)
RU -Rudolph Front line 15 13/13 DC 13 DEX save, or oiled up
GA - Gary Bryman Front line 19 13/13 DC 13 DEX save, or oiled up (made with advantage due to Dodge action)
GI - Ginnifer Second line 14 6/6 none

Enemies:
Enemy AC Damage taken Conditions
Spider 1 15 9 damage none
Spider 2 15 none none
Spider 3 15 none none
Spider 4 15 none none



S<X> - Clockwork Spider AC 15


Score Mechanics
Frontline ActionSecond LineSupport
Be attacked by an EnemyMove to avoid being a targetPerform an action to heal an ally
Hit an enemy with a Melee AttackHit an enemy with a ranged attackPerform an action to buff or help an ally
Move to stop an enemy from advacingPerform an action to give a tactical advantage 
Lose over 1/3 health in combat*Finish combat with greater than 1/2 health 
* Being healed does not count against you, we are tracking how much damage you take in.

__________________
Always taking new players for City of Endless Arenas
Characters: Saber - Svaly Contact: dmbhelogan@gmail.com - Check out: My Map Tutorials

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 21st, 2020 at 09:27 AM.
  #7  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 10:43 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is online now
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 22306
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 6,923
Gary Bryman
right-aligned image
Shield raised the old guard watched the mechanical monstrosities whirl to life with that new-fangled whirling and gizmos that he could never fully understand. A confident grin spread across his face hearing songs already being spun of him as the spiders approached. Gary usually heard them sung for others - friends and heroes alike yet never for a simple guard like him.

"Can't let Miss Nicole be a liar now!" the fighter readied himself as the young sorceress voiced her unease before casting a spell that didn't seem to take hold on the geared monster "That was pretty good! You got fighting spirit in yer blood, little miss! Keep it up!" Gary tried to encourage as the first spider engaged him shooting some odd globule at him!

Still jazzed up from hearing his song the fighter side-stepped the globule in a fashion that was unbefitting his age and frame
Dice DEX Save w/ADV from dodge:
2d20sh13kh1 20, 15 (keeping 20) Total = 20
(20) and was readying to counter when the second beast cruised past him. Turning his attention to the one that got by Gary witnessed it aiming some odd canon he failed to notice before "Confounded things have canons!?!" the ex-guard barked as the cannon fired at the bard. "Moving to intercept!" the old guard called out loud with a glint in his eye purposefully opening himself up for an attack while rearing back the morningstar as if to reaction: Ripostethrust the blunt object at the spider.

 


"Hey pal! You didn't even say hi to me!" recalling the limerick in his mind and trying to prove something Gary brought the blunt weapon down into the mechanical spider's side
Dice Morningstar v S4:
d20+4sch15 (8)+4 Total = 12
(12)
Dice bardic inspiration:
d6 6
(6)
Dice Morningstar damage S4:
d8+4 (3)+4 Total = 7
(7)! "You're making me look bad!" Gary chuckled.

OOC/StatBlockWhy am I so surprised that mecha-spiders have cannons?!
 

Last edited by Retry; Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: under the wire typo fix!
  #8  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 10:59 AM
Mythrandil's Avatar
Mythrandil Mythrandil is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 4697
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Posts: 1,915
”Thick of the Fight”"Nicole! I should have known you, too, had song in your heart! Shall we duet?"

The mechanical spiders advances with startling alacrity. Rudy changes his singing to a chanting cadence, more rhythm than melody, leaving plenty of room for Nicole’s melody to shine, whether in harmony or contrast.

There once was a fly went flat flat flat!
There once was a roach went blat blat blat!
Hey dittle doodle, hold for me!
There's plenty of bugs to BLAT!


Rather than fall back, Rudy slashed forward with his scimitar, mangling the legs of the spider to his left. In response, a ball of oil and grim spewed forth from somewhere inside its clockwork; Rudy swayed with unchecked momentum, dodging
Dice ”DEX Save vs. Oiled Up”:
1d20+4 (4)+4 Total = 8
(8) wildly. The oil spills over him, his Cloak of Protection hardly living up to its name. Somehow, this failed motion had the conciliatory benefit of tucking Rudy just under the second spider’s flame burst. "Aha! Very good! Watch me closely, little Ginnifer; this is how a short person fights – with panache, and insatiable fun!"

Demonstrating his point, Rudy enters an intricate series of feints, slashes, and thrusts. Amid the dazzling display, the true attack
Dice ”Scimitar Attack”:
1d20+5 (12)+5 Total = 17
(17) is so subtle as to almost be missed, slicing through
Dice Scimitar Damage (Piercing):
1d6+3 (6)+3 Total = 9
(9) the first spider’s remaining legs. Kicking off the teetering lump of scrap metal, Rudy’s off hand snickers forth
Dice ”Shortsword Attack”:
1d20+5 (4)+5 Total = 9
(9) with glittering shortsword steel, skittering off the second spider’s hide. If anything, the attack only served to polish the machine's armor!

With a flourish, Rudy turns the move into a tumble, neatly cartwheeling over the spider’s snapping jaws to come back-to-back with Gary. "Ever think you would begin your adventuring career as a bug swatter?" Rudy’s grin is quite evident in his voice, and Gary needs not turn to see that the Halfling is absolutely loving the chance to fight, even if not everything is going his way. Gary moves down, shouting battle cries of his own. "Just you and me, buggo." Rudy's voice is low and menacing, meant only for his foe. If it can even hear. Or understand him. Or...

"And that, my dear witch, is why these beauties are named Spider’s Bane and Spider’s Pain" Rudy boasts to Ginnifer, looking fondly on his blades. Anyone familiar with Rudolph the Unbowed would know that he never calls his swords the same name twice, except by accident. This fact doesn’t bother Rudy in the least. He eyes the clockwork insect in front of him, daring it to make a target of anyone but him. He pays no mind to the oil dripping from his every surface; this spider had notoriously failed to cover him in flame before, why would that change?
”OOC”
 

Last edited by Mythrandil; Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:18 AM.
  #9  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 05:59 PM
Gath's Avatar
Gath Gath is offline
Read It With A Smile!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 30030
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Posts: 27,840
Master Ichi
right-aligned image
The erudite Master Ichi had taken exception to Nicole’s petition for training. At first there was nothing that Master Ichi was interested in. Nicole didn’t have much money and was not particularly talented with magic. She caught him at one point in his lab working on a strange concoction of organic compounds. ”Yes, well, come in then, I suppose. But be quick about it.” He said. There were beakers, bottles, and bulbous glass baubles all filled with variations of viscous solutes and solvents leading through tilted tubes into a transparent jug.

The lab was overgrown with artifacts of Master Ichi’s process. There were stages of notes and scrolls sprawled everywhere as well as trinkets and other gizmos and doodads and accouterments of the scientific process. Even some errant animals roamed the room, a frolic of frogs, a roost of ravens, with roaming rats and meandering mice, and a hungry hawk eyeing all of them with intention of imminent ingestion.

”Oh, I see that you have a very elaborate process here. I would be thrilled to help you organize things a bit. You seem overly busy with much more important stuff and I can imagine that having a functional space would increase productivity.” Said Nicole, gathering up some notes and scrolls and organizing them alphabetically and chronologically in groups of context. She began using her mage hand to upturn cups and jars and bottles that had spilled over and her prestidigitation to clean up the messes. Master Ichi had ignored her comment and continued to work on his project. After two and a half hours, Nicole had all the animals in cages, fed and watered, even having tossed the hawk a rat. The tables were cleared mostly, with supplies and containers arrayed in a cleanly, organized fashion based on size an shape, some of which had supplies inside for sake of space conservation, such as pens, and utensils.

Master Ichi turned and saw, in amazement, Nicole’s efforts using mage hand and other minor magics as well as simple elbow grease to clean and organize his shop. She had a friend, a small sprite who was busily helping her, the pair completely contented to just do their work while he ignored them. ”I’m sorry, but what was it that you wanted, dear?” He asked.

Nicole looked up and smiled. ”Oh, well, I was just hoping that you could teach me a bit of magic. I know a little, but I am looking for something a bit more fun. You come highly recommended.” She added.

”I see,” he replied. ”Well, I notice you are using your mage hand. There is a spell that uses a similar mechanic but with quite different results." The mage produced an ebony wand and pointed at the hawk. ”Frigus Manus!” He said, pointing to the hawk. A spectral hand appeared, gripping the fowl and crushing it as it melted with necrotic energy. ”There you go, you’re on your way to being a wizard. All you need is a wand and you are good to go. Thank you for cleaning my study. You are welcome any time.” he added.

Oken's Oddities
left-aligned image
Nicole had perused the streets of Harthford wondering what to do about her invitation. She had the money from Cecilia but was told there would be special items for sale at the guild house. Still, going into combat she knew she would need something else to be more effective. Reluctantly, Nicole entered a trade shop and offered her well taken care of Mason tools for a fair price. Between her mending and cleaning they were better than the day she got them.

She went looking and found another shop, Oaken’s Oddities, that appeared to be a purveyor of proprietary peculiarities. Curious, Nicole stepped onto the threshold and pushed on the door, causing a bell to ring above her head as it opened. ”Hello?” called out a crackly male voice. A lanky fellow in denim apron, gray wool trousers, a nicely kept white linen tunic, and a wool bowler cap stepped out from a myriad of shelves occupied with all manner of trinkets and toys. ”Ah, yes, I’m Nicodemus. How may I help you?” He asked.

Nicole smiled warmly. ”This is a lovely place you have here. I could get lost just perusing your peculiarities. But perhaps you can help speed up my process? I am looking for a wand. A unique one that may have a history, but not a bad history. Would you have something like that?” She asked. Ariel grinned as she watched Nicole interact with the merchant, whose gaze flitted back and forth between Nicole and Ariel, who waved unabashedly.

”You know, I do have something in the back. Follow me.” Nicodemus led them through a labyrinth of laden shelves and tables. ”People rarely make it this far,” he added, ending up at a table near a back room. He alighted on a rectangular black box and lifted it gingerly off of the table, then handed it over to Nicole, who gently removed the lid. ”It’s a narwhal tooth. Sometimes they grow two and this one must have not made it long enough for the second tooth to fully grow. I’ve been waiting to see who would find it.”

Nicole was overwhelmed. ”It’s beautiful!” She exclaimed. ”Ooh, a narwhal is the next best thing to a unicorn,” said Ariel. ”That’s quite a find!” Nicole beamed as she reached into the box to pull out the slender spiraled tooth. She held it in different ways as Master Ichi had discussed until she felt comfortable with a few. ”Oh, Nicodemus, I love it! I’ll take it!” She exclaimed.


Battle Royale
left-aligned image
Ariel coughed. ”That didn’t go well. Those things have cannons. I bet that hurt. Are you okay?” She asked, content to rest inside one of the many pockets on Nicole's tailcoat. "What are you going to do?" She asked.

right-aligned image
”No, actually. That hurt! I think I will move away from that one. Look, it appears that Rudy has disabled one, and Gary has hurt another. Let’s move over and try to finish it off so that Rudy can go after the other one before it gets to Ginni…” Said Nicole ,moving north and down a bit.

Nicole brandished her narwhal tooth wand in her left hand, holding it securely but with a loose grip, as Master Ichi had instructed. ”It’s all in the way you hold your wand. Your confidence will flow through you into the implement and out towards your foe!” The words echoed through her mind as she took aim at the second spider mechanus. She closed her eyes as she counted her heartbeats and controlled her breath as she moved her hand around in circles cradling the wand. Then she opened her eyes and focused on the spider and aimed her wand. ”Frigus Manus!” She exclaimed. A spectral hand appeared by the spider and began gripping it with its necrotic touch.

Feeling the rush of adrenaline at the thrill of battle, Nicole felt exhilarated as she witnessed the machinations of her crew. It was a risk not healing herself, but she’d moved into a defensible position and hopefully if she killed this one, Rudy would be there to intercept the other one.

Not one to turn down a lyrical challenge, Nicole quickly crafted an ode to glory and called it out to the new heroes she was fighting with.

Ode to GloryThese four chosen that shall strive,
For they all know what’s at stake,
To keep themselves alive
They must all participate.
Working together as a team,
Rudy smashed a spider’s leg,
Gary bashed one in the head.
Ginni covered one in a frozen stream,
One more time round this manège.
Glory be to Rudy ho, he may have killed the spider dead!

Surely the four of us will thrive!
And these spider’s lives indeed we’ll take!
Although it seems we’re in a hive,
Bold decisions we’ll have to make.
Our glory and heroism forever will gleam!
The others in this strange contest will surely beg,
But likely they will all be dead,
And of our glory they will dream,
For we’re the best to kill a bug,
Even if they’re made of lead!



Mechanics
Sell: Mason Tools 10gp
Purchase: Slippers of Spider Climbing 500gp, Wand 10gp
Gift: Potion of Healing

Role: Secondary+Support
Move: Away from creature to defensible position - 25ft - W,H,2 > X,C,2
Action: Range Attk vs Creature 2 (to give tactical advantage to Rudy) - Chill Touch
Dice Chill Touch v S2:
1d20+4 (13)+4 Total = 17
(17) Can’t Heal for 1 roundDamage
Dice Necrotic Damage:
1d8 5
(5)
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Location: X,C,2

 



__________________
1.1.20 - Reevaluating self. Attempting to learn and grow.
Painting the sky with butterflies and giants, a little boy dragon found a balloon in the sun.

Last edited by Gath; Jul 21st, 2020 at 06:51 PM.
  #10  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 06:36 PM
rhaiber's Avatar
rhaiber rhaiber is offline
not a fish
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 10648
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Posts: 3,219
Ginnifer Gooseblossom
right-aligned image

Ginnifer jumped back, startled, as she watched the mechanical arachnids spew forth oil at her friends. Even though the stream of flames came nowhere near here, she could still feel the intense heat washing over her. In the back of her head, she remembered Sir Either-Ethan-or-Ether saying that they had nothing to fear since Miss Cecilia was on hand to treat any wounds, but the danger still felt very real to the little witch, moreso than anything she had ever encountered before. She tugged at the edges of her coat, pulling it tightly about herself and hoping that the magic woven into its thread would be enough to keep her safe.

Ginnifer heard the cries of encouragement from Mister Bryman and Mister Rudy, though she wasn’t exactly sure what she had done to deserve them. Her magicks seemed to have proven entirely ineffectual against the automatons. They were the ones doing all the work here, and yet they had enough time to divert their attentions to making her feel better about her efforts?

The little witch was abruptly shaken out of her own self-pity as she watched the final clockwork contraption launch its projectile, sending the iron shot careening toward Nicole. Seeing the bullet impact with alarming force, the assurances of their safety disappeared from her mind entirely. This all seemed so very real and so very dangerous.

”Hey you! You .... you … she stammered as she searched for a word that could truly convey the depths of her animosity ”... Meanie!!!” It was the best she could come up with. Her mother had taught her a wide array of medical and botanical terms, but when it came to insults, well, she was sadly lacking. ”You stay away from my friends!”

Stepping back protectively towards the friend that already felt like a big sister to her, Ginnifer’s first instinct was to see to her wounds, but she realized there was no way she could reach up to where Nicole was perched along the wall. There was only one thing to do then. There was no time for regret or shame about her earlier failure. If her previous spell had failed, then she was just going to have to put more into this next freezing spell. Whirling the umbrella about she brought its tip down upon the ground, striking it three times with a thumping sound that echoed ominously through the room.

”Arctic Puffin Dance of Doom!!”

With each strike of the floor, tiny bursts of frost spread out upon the floor. They began dancing across the stone in erratic, zig-zagging patterns, like tiny fissures forming along a pane of glass. As they traveled outwards, each one drew in all the moisture in the surrounding air, crystallizing into slowly growing icy shapes that began to resemble small birds. As they took shape, the ice-birds waddled faster and faster, until they danced in a circle about the clockwork spider that had assaulted Nicole. As their whirling frenzy reached a dizzying speed, they suddenly stopped and exploded in a shower of tiny ice particles.


ooc
Role: Secondary+Support
Move: step back defensively to C3
Action: Cast Frostbite on clockwork spider S4. Spider must make Con Save DC13 or take
Dice frostbite damage:
1d6 5
(5) damage and suffer disadvantage on its next attack
Bonus Action:--
Reaction: Saved for Shield spell if attacked
Location: C3
 
__________________
"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives." -- Imveros
Help Me Find a Home for These Characters
  #11  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 07:48 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 25405
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 19,385
Round 2
Seeing that one of the critters got by him, Gary moved to intercept the Spider that had shot Nicole. As he did so, he prepared to repost his current engagement. As he was looking for a chance to strike back though, the nimbleness of his age caught up with him, and he found himself coated in thick sticky oil, shot from the spider's dual-purpose cannon. The oil didn't seem to slow him down any though, and he heard a satisfying clunk as his Morningstar left a dent in his target’s chassis. Rudy sat for a moment, waiting to see what the women in the room were going to do. Nicole tried to get some more distance between herself and the mechanical terrors, while also getting her chilltouch to come out of the ground directly underneath one of the spiders. From her angle, she couldn't see if it did much damage, but it would keep the spider from trying any type of in-field repairs. Ginnifer, likewise, backed away, and tried to help out Gary, by using a cantrip that would hopefully slow down a creature’s ability to attack. Once again, the spider seemed to resist the frost, not allowing it to build up on its gears. Seeing he still had is two foes to deal with, Rudy slashed again at the damaged spider to his left. The strike was solid, and cut the monster wide open, causing a massive oil slick to leak out from underneath the creature. already being coated in oil was bad enough Rudy did not want to be standing in a large puddle of it, so quickly shuffled around his other foe to avoid the leak. He tried to stab that construct with his shortsword, but didn't get the right angle to break through its metal plating.

Things were about to change quickly now, as the middle clockwork spider converged to focus on Rudy. The small licks of flame from both sides hit the halfling, who quickly lit up like a Christmas tree! The oil coating his skin was burning, and would last for quite a while if nothing was done about it. The last spider tried the same trick with Gary, though the old man was ready for it. He quickly reposted, as the flames went to his right, and smashed the machine to pieces. Like the first creature Rudy had felled, oil spilled out everywhere on the floor. As two of the creatures were slain, two bells run that echoed through the hallways of the Crossing Companions complex. Likewise, two portals in the walls of the small room where the applicants were batting opened up, and two fresh spiders gears sprung to life, bringing more foes to be faced.


Battlemap

Moving in the oil slick requires a DC 12 Dex save, or fall prone, being coated in the oil and losing the rest of your movement for that turn.
1 square = 5'
Outside edge are stone wall, the ceiling is 20' high
F3 - Rudy's Hunting Trap



OODM
S3 - OA vs. Gary. Gary's Dex Save (Made by DM to keep things moving)
Dice Gary - Dex Save vs. Oil on OA from S3:
1d20 12
(12)
S4 - CON save vs. Frostbite
Dice S4 CON Save:
1d20+1 (18)+1 Total = 19
(19)
Rudy - Dex save to move through oil (Made by DM to keep things moving)
Dice Rudy - Dex save to move:
1d20+4 (15)+4 Total = 19
(19)

S2 vs. Rudy -
Dice S2 vs Rudy:
1d20+3 (18)+3 Total = 21
(21) - Hits for 1 fire damage. Rudy in fire, burns for
Dice burning damage:
1d4 3
(3)
S3 vs. Rudy -
Dice S3 vs Rudy:
1d20+3 (14)+3 Total = 17
(17) - Hits for 1 fire damage.
S4 vs. Gary -
Dice S4 vs Gary:
1d20+3 (14)+3 Total = 17
(17)

Players:
Adventurer Role AC HP Conditions
NI - Nicole Second line 13 4/9 none (20' up the wall)
RU -Rudolph Front line 15 8/13 Burning* - takes 1d4 fire damage per turn
GA - Gary Bryman Front line 19 13/13 coated in oil
GI - Ginnifer Second line 14 6/6 none
* - Burning can only give damage once per turn, regardless of the number of sources. So, if you are on fire, and walk through other flames, no additional damage. The Spider's flair can still do its 1 point of damage, however. An action can be used to douse the flames, and stop the burn damage, or remove oil from yourself if it isn't lit up yet.

Enemies:
Enemy AC Damage taken Conditions
Spider 1 15 Dead Killed by Rudy
Spider 2 15 5 damage (can't heal for this turn)
Spider 3 15 none none
Spider 4 15 Dead Killed by Gary
Spider 5 15 Spawn at
Dice S5 spawn side:
1d4 2
(2) -
Dice Locaion 5:
1d10 5
(5)
none
Spider 6 15 Spawn at
Dice S6 spawn side:
1d4 2
(2) -
Dice Locaion 6:
1d10 4
(4)
none



S<X> - Clockwork Spider AC 15


Score Mechanics
Frontline ActionSecond LineSupport
Be attacked by an EnemyMove to avoid being a targetPerform an action to heal an ally
Hit an enemy with a Melee AttackHit an enemy with a ranged attackPerform an action to buff or help an ally
Move to stop an enemy from advacingPerform an action to give a tactical advantage 
Lose over 1/3 health in combat*Finish combat with greater than 1/2 health 
* Being healed does not count against you, we are tracking how much damage you take in.


__________________
Always taking new players for City of Endless Arenas
Characters: Saber - Svaly Contact: dmbhelogan@gmail.com - Check out: My Map Tutorials

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 09:23 AM.
  #12  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 02:04 PM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is online now
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 22306
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 6,923
Gary Bryman
right-aligned image
Slick oil glistened on the fabric of the brand-new cloak of Gary Bryman as the old guard dislodged his morningstar from the husk that was the spider. The oil pooled around the floor kissing at his leather boots. The two bells run loudly and the portals opened on the eastern wall. Gary turned to look at - "SWEET JUMPIN' PEPPERS! Rude yer on fire, brother!" the man's attention pulled from the new mechanical monstrosities that emerged from the portals to focus on the halfling gladiator currently being broiled over a light flame.

It would likely be difficult for the old man to extinguish those flames with his hands full. "Can one of you gals help Rudy out?!" the fighter called out before honing in on one the cannon-wielding, eight-legged, mechanical freaks that did this to Gary's cape buddy! "I got this'n!" Stepping forward with a low swing
Dice Morningstar v S3:
d20+4sch15 (4)+4 Total = 8
(8) Gary noticed the world seemed to suddenly move upwards as one of his boots slid in the oil
Dice DEX Save:
d20sh13 3
(3) sending him forward and sprawling across the floor.

His shield made a loud clang as it met the chains of his chest and the wind was forced out of Gary's lungs right before his face met the oil slick. Pain wracked his body from the sudden unexpected weight that befell it from his own armor. It was by the grace of the gods that he was able to hold onto his morningstar - not that he'd be weaponless but his handaxes were a last resort.

Lifting himself just ever so to get off his shield Gary looked up at his comrade aflame with a ring of crude oil covering the stress-induced wrinkled canvas that was his face. "C'mon ya old coot! Ain't the time!" Gary forced a smile as he began the process of getting back onto his feet.

OOC/StatBlock Oof. I'm prone for this round it seems.
 

Last edited by Retry; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 02:36 PM.
  #13  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 04:39 PM
Mythrandil's Avatar
Mythrandil Mythrandil is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 4697
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Posts: 1,915
”Thick of the Fight”"Well sung, Nicole! And great hit! Ginnifer, keep your spirits high, you’ll get there sooner or later!"

His stream of encouragement was cut tragically short when thick, sticky oil shot out, clinging to Rudy’s vestments, some splattering onto the fine inner lining. Then the spiders set him on fire.

"Oh COME ON! You realize how much this cloak cost me?? Here’s what I have to say about that!"

With a bellow and a chant, Rudy complements Nicole’s ode with a driving beat:

There once was a crawly went flat flat flat!
There once was a nasty went whack whack whack!
Hey doodle dwittle, stay for me!
There's plenty of bugs to WHACK!


With each shout of ‘flat’ Rudy feints toward the spider to his right, finally committing to a Scimitar slash
Dice ”Scimitar Attack”:
1d20+5 (18)+5 Total = 23
(23) on the last exclamation, cleaving
Dice Scimitar Damage, Slashing:
1d6+3 (5)+3 Total = 8
(8) even more mechanical legs in twain. The construct, already acting erratically from the rime of Nicole's magics, falls into pieces amid a pool of oil. Heedless of the flames licking at him, the second ‘whack’ in his song is accompanied by a quick pirouette and clever thrust of his Shortsword
Dice ”Shortsword Attack”:
1d20+5 (18)+5 Total = 23
(23), slipping through gears with a satisfying crash
Dice Shortsword Damage, Piercing:
1d6+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
(7). "Well done, Splatter and Blatter!" he congratulates his swords, "remind me to buy you each one of those nice, ceramic whetstones I saw in the market."

There was also the matter of the fire. Rudy Or move away from Gary to draw the spiders' attention if S2 and S3 are dead by the end of the round.quick steps back to stand over the fallen Gary, shouting a wordless taunt to the two new spiders. Hopefully the remaining spiders have a sense of honor and go for him instead. Floods of memory fill Rudy's soul with gladness - he hasn't had a good, honest, unfixed fight for...well, near about a year now. This was real combat, visceral, us versus them.
”OOC”
 

Last edited by Mythrandil; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 04:50 PM.
  #14  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 07:11 PM
rhaiber's Avatar
rhaiber rhaiber is offline
not a fish
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 10648
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Posts: 3,219
Ginnifer Gooseblossom
right-aligned image

”Oh no, Mister Rudy! Ginnifer gasped as she watched the halfling engulfed in flames. Even more surprising, he continued to fight as if nothing had happened at all, ramming his twin blades into one mechanical contraption after another. Her jaw dropped in amazement. Well, if her magicks didn’t seem to be doing much against the dangerous devices, then the least she could do was help him out. That’s what her role was supposed to be right? Support, taking care of boo-boos. That was something she should be able to handle.

Gripping her umbrella with renewed determination, she jabbed forward into the air, pointing it directly at Rudy, then rearing backwards. She pulled with remarkable intensity, as if fighting against some incredible resistance. The umbrella began to bend, ever so slightly, almost inte manner of an angler’s rod. She stepped backward with one foot, widening her stance as she put more of her weight into pulling back on the umbrella. Just when it appeared as if her bizarre pantomime might be some sort of joke, a thin tongue of flame peeled itself away from Rudy’s blazing inferno and wound its way towards Ginnifer and her umbrella. Like ribbons unwinding from a maypole, the flames unwrapped themselves and ascended into a wide arc over the room until the halfling gladiator was both Unbowed and Unburnt.

The dancing ribbon of flame flew across the room, the umbrella sucking it up like a pair of dogs eating pasta. Within moments, the last flickering flame disappeared into the umbrella’s tip with a squelching slurping noise, and Ginnifer ceased her pulling, looking more than a little exhausted from her efforts. Resting the umbrella tip against the floor, she leaned heavily on it as she sighed and wiped her brow, only to be interrupted by a raucous belching noise as a cloud of black smoke erupted upwards from the canopy of the umbrella directly under her chin. For a moment her entire face was enveloped in the cloud which slowly dissipated leaving her face soot-stained and bedraggled.

”Umbria! she chastised the umbrella, ”Where are your manners?”


ooc
Role: Secondary+Support
Move: Step forward to D5
Action: Cast Prestidigitation to snuff out the flames on Rudy
Remainder of Move: Step back step back defensively to C3
Bonus Action:--
Reaction: Saved for Shield spell if attacked
Location: C3
 
__________________
"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives." -- Imveros
Help Me Find a Home for These Characters
  #15  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 09:40 PM
Gath's Avatar
Gath Gath is offline
Read It With A Smile!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 30030
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Posts: 27,840
Raylana
left-aligned image
”That’s it, you’re getting it,” said Raylana as Nicole lunged at her with her corked rapier for the dozenth time. The half elf didn’t even have her sword drawn, she was just nimbly moving out of the way and predicting Nicole’s strikes.

Frustrated, Nicole slashed with her foil, a useless motion, then tried working on her footwork. Her feet crossed over one another as she sidestepped to gain a better vantage towards her opponent and mentor. But she ran into a vase and tripped as the oversized ceramic jar fell over and crashed onto the ground, with Nicole not long after.

Raylana smiled and issued a soft laugh. ”That’s some fancy footwork, but you must mind your surroundings.” She said, picking up Nicole’s foil and touching the cork to her chest.. ”You’ve given me the point, and I’ve done nothing but step out of your way. And now you’ve tripped and broken my favorite vase and upset Lola. Go ahead and clean this up, I think that’s a fine enough lesson for the day.” Lola had been a prized succulent, an Aloe plant that was nearly fifty years old and massive. The vase came up to Nicole’s hip and she felt stupid for running into it. It was easy to fix, and Lola was happier than ever.

"I think you're getting better,” said Ariel. "Just, try not to trip on things and land on the wrong end of a sword, I guess." She added with a giggle.

"Thanks," said Nicole. "It's a good lesson though."


Mind your Surroundings
right-aligned image
Nicole thought she had a good handle on how things were going in the arena. She saw Rudy smash the fist bug, then move to the second one. She thought she’d seen Gary move over to the third bug and attack it, but it was great that he had gone after the fourth bug, because he killed that one as well.

But that left Rudy flanked by spiders and covered in oil. Ginni tried to freeze another spider mechanus, but they seemed to be resistant to her spell. Nicole continued to move along the wall away from the bugs and this time her conjured spectral hand appeared to do its intended job, though it wasn’t enough to actually kill the bug.

Fortunately, even though Rudy had caught on fire, his heroics were pronounced as he made a killing blow on another spider, then attacked at the third one. Poor Gary slipped in the oil while trying to attack the third spider, but Rudy was there to take his place. As well, Ginni was there to try and douse the flames on the unfortunate gladiator’s new dashing cloak. "Oh my gosh, be careful!” She cried, watching the match turn into chaos.

Nicole saw the new spiders enter the ring. This was not good, but they knew it would happen. Nicole took a step diagonally up into the northeast corner of the ceiling and decided to take another shot at the wounded spider. ”Great work everyone! Watch out, there are two more!” She called out the obvious. Then offered an inspiring cheer:

Inspiring Cheer
Ding dong the bell doth toll!
Two spiders dead, emptied their oil bladders.
Another one immolated the gladiator,
But it met both Splatter and Blatter.
No time for Rudy to stop drop and roll,
Thanks to Ginni his flames are no more.
Get up Gary and fight, fight, fight!
Rudy and Gary fight with all your might!
Well done on these first ones, what a chore!
But the walls have opened,
two more pitter patter.
I’m afraid they’ll keep coming until we’re all dead!


ooc
Sell: Mason Tools 10gp
Purchase: Slippers of Spider Climbing 500gp, Wand 10gp
Gift: Potion of Healing

Role: Secondary+Support
Move: Away from creature to defensible position - 5ft - C2 (15ft up) > B2 (20ft up)
Action: Range Attk vs Creature - Chill Touch
Dice Chill Touch v S3:
1d20+4 (1)+4 Total = 5
(5) Can’t Heal for 1 roundDamage
Dice Necrotic Damage:
1d8 5
(5)
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Location: WB2 (B2 20ft up)

 

__________________
1.1.20 - Reevaluating self. Attempting to learn and grow.
Painting the sky with butterflies and giants, a little boy dragon found a balloon in the sun.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB