Game Thread Round 2 D&D 5e - HotsuSama, pianoman90, strange2099, wishkamon - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2020 > Outplay 2020 Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 11:56 AM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is offline
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 27096
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 7,753
Round 2 D&D 5e - HotsuSama, pianoman90, strange2099, wishkamon


An Official InviteNot everyone got one. You did, one of the lucky few. You got a sponsorship to support you in joining the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild. You have 3 days to set your affairs in order, and use some of that sponsor money, before it is time to show up at the local chapter of the Crossing Companions, for the next round of tryouts. From what you hear, the next round can be pretty rough on new recruits. They make you fight some kind of mechanical monsters. Not only do you have to do well, you have to show that you know how to work as a group, putting your fate in the hands of those whom you will be attempting to tryout with. How does that even work, when you are competing for a spot? Well, one way or another, you are going to find out pretty quickly.

Shopping Time!You have been given 500 go by your sponsor. You may use this to purchase any weapons, armor, and adventuring gear from the PHB, If the price is not in the PHB, no you can not buy it. The only exception would be light re-skinning of items that are in the PHB.using the prices listed there. Please include all purchases in an OOC fieldset at the bottom of your post. Additionally, you do have enough funds to buy a magic item or two from a select list:

 

Combat TryoutsYou show up at the Crossing Companions Adventuring Guild office, ready to show your worth. Sir Ether meets you as you enter, and promptly ushers you to a side room. Other recruits arrive at the same time, some coming to your room, others to another across the hallway. The training room is fairly basic. Stone walls show marks from misfired weapons and spells. The floors are covered in surprisingly soft dirt that, as far as you can tell, doesn't have too many bloodstains in them. You are directed to stand along the wall of one side of the room, where you wait a few minutes until Sir Ether makes his way back to give you instructions.

"Glad you found you way over!" Sir Ether says in his cheery voice. "That is part of the test. If you can't' find an address, well, that immediately rules you out. Luckily all of you lot passed that part. Right, so combat! Not every job we are contracted for requires it, but a large portion do. Winning a fight is rarely a one-man job though. It takes a well-coordinated group. We have a special challenge set up for you today to test how well you can perform as an individual, and how cohesive you can be working together. So, you will get points for doing your roll, not just winning the fight. We have those who take the front line in battles. While they might be able to dish out some punishment, really their job is to keep the enemies away from their weaker allies. They can do this by simply taking all the hits themselves, or controlling how the enemies can move about the field of battle. We have our second line combatants, who usually use spells, or ranged weapons to really dish out a lot pain on the foes. And, we have everyone's favorite, the support heroes! They heal our boo-boos, or use magic and tactics make our front and second-line fighters more effective, or even make our enemies less effective in combat. Of course, we like everyoen to help out with that support role when they can. I have a pretty good idea of where I think you all probably fit in, but go ahead and let us know. We are also keeping score of how many of our special friends you take down today, so your group's performance will matter too. We will keep sending them at you, until time runs out. Don't worry about getting killed though, Saint Cecelia is here to make sure nobody is permanently killed during our trials. Oh, the other sponsors are here too, just for good measure." Sir Ether waits for everyone to list their roles. "Ok then, I am going to step out into the hallway, and into our observation room. When you hear the alarm bell go, it's off to the races!"


The Bell has Rung!
1 square = 5'
Outside edge are stone wall, the ceiling is 20' high. The floor is a flat hard-packed earth.


OODMHello, I (Wynamoinen) will be your GM this week.

It is Combat time! We're not going to roll initiative, you can just launch into it. You may take two sorts of actions in your first post:
1) In the round before combat starts, you may take one "preparatory" action. This is not combat, so you may not do anything that has any impact on the enemies. You may do things to support yourself or the members of your party, like casting a spell (such as Mage Armor), or using an item like a potion.
2) You may take your full host of combat actions, for round 1 of true combat.

Actions will take place in the order POSTED.

Please make sure to include a stat block, including everything the DM will need to run the match. I ask that in an OOC fieldset after your RP block, that you include all of your mechanical information, such as Action, Move, Location, Bonus Action, Reactions, and so forth. I have provided you an AC, so you should include damage in your post for any successful attacks, as well as for any effects that might cause damage, depending on whether the target fails or succeeds on a saving throw.

Adventurers, from top to bottom of the map, at round zero:
Sebastian
John Faraday (I had to find my own token image here)
Kelsey Twice-Born
Shugaro Engendarm

Enemies
Four Clockwork Spiders. AC 15

Score MechanicsIn your first post, please list your role in combat: Frontline fighter or Second Line. The following actions in your stated roll will earn you 3 mechanical points during the round. The last action in each list will only be handed out once, at the end of combat and earn you 5 points. If you perform an action that falls under another category, you still score 1 point for it. Any single action will only qualify for one type of point. Example, performing an action that puts an enemy at disadvantage will not give you a point under both Support and Second Line. Support actions are available to everyone, and worth 2 points each

Frontline ActionSecond LineSupport
Be attacked by an EnemyMove to avoid being a targetPerform an action to heal an ally
Hit an enemy with a Melee AttackHit an enemy with a ranged attackPerform an action to buff or help an ally
Move to stop an enemy from advacingPerform an action to give a tactical advantage 
Lose over 1/3 health in combat*Finish combat with greater than 1/2 health 
* Being healed does not count against you, we are tracking how much damage you take in.
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Found Family, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 26th, 2020 at 02:01 PM.
  #2  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 04:57 AM
pianoman90's Avatar
pianoman90 pianoman90 is offline
Playin' Dungas and Dragos
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19401
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Posts: 7,764
Combat begins
left-aligned image
~~~Sir Stefphonson's Blessing~~~

"I thank you, Sir Stefphonson, for this opportunity. Your blessing and sponsorship will not be squandered meaninglessly!" Shugaro felt an affinity with the stoic soldier and he was overjoyed to have convinced one of the vaunted few that his turning up here was worth their time. A heavy pouch of gold and a letter were placed in his hand. Sir Stefphonson nodded to him though he said no words. Shugaro knew-his actions in the combat round would speak volumes and between two such workmen no words were needed. Shugaro bowed gently and strode towards the guild merchants, armorers and weapon-smiths. There was much to do in the three days he had.

He was not familiar with Harthford yet, but over the coming days he grew to love the town. The hustle and bustle of the adventuring village was a comfort to the smith and his thoughts turned to his sons, far away. He found parchment and a quill, graciously supplied by the barman in the Waltzing Witches Tavern. He found a quiet moment in the day to pen a short letter before sending it off with the afternoon post, a few gold pieces placed in the envelope.

Letter to Jalk and IsgerDear Jalk and Isger,

I have made the first step to joining the guild here. Sir Stefphonson, a sponsor of extreme morality and value, deemed me and a few others here worthy to progress to the next stage, a chance to prove my hammer strength. I know not what else lies in store for me, but I promise that I will be as strong as an ox, complete as many challenges as I am able, and see you soon.

Jalk, try not to cause too much trouble for your Uncle Aldalgrim-his humor takes some getting used to, but his heart is in the right place. Isger, keep up your training my boy, and enjoy the warmer weather nearer the coast. Here is some of my sponsorship, make sure you find something fun to buy. Perhaps even a treat for you and your cousins?

With my love,
Shugaro

The letter now safely in the hands of the postman, Shugaro spent the rest of his time browsing the merchants wares, inspecting every item with a critical artisan's eye. He passed over the weapons, shiny and beautiful though they all were. The armor too was not of interest, though he did find two belts that he knew would fit snugly across his chest, their pouches perfectly placed for choice items to be retrieved. The alchemists guild was of particular interest, something that Shugaro had limited experience with. He had found several flasks of dangerous liquid as well as a couple of choice magical potions bought cheaply with the boon granted from Sir Stephonson. One more niche item was hunted down with some difficulty, as it was not normally known for its combat applications. Shugaro hefted the two bags of ball bearings thoughtfully, before storing them away in his backpack. Satisfied, though his gold was not all spent, he settled in for an early night's sleep before the next challenge presented itself.


~~~Round 2 - Fight!~~~

The day dawned, and Shugaro found himself shuffled into an arena with 3 others from the first night. Shugaro recognized the hardened stance of a fellow fighter and nodded to Kelsey Twice-Born. The other two were more enigmatic and curious-John Faraday and Sebastian were built of different stuff, they hardly seemed fit for hand-to-hand combat, though Shugaro knew they likely had far stranger powers. Shugaro tried to recall any clues to their abilities from their first speech-sparks flying from John's fist, powerful effects during Sebastian's speech came to mind, though they may well have just been cheap magic tricks. Whatever the skills, Shugaro could see his role here clearly. Drawing a potion, Shugaro threw it back, feeling the magic course through his veins.

"Kelsey, Sebastian and John! We have a wonderful opportunity to work with each other here. I see Kelsey and I taking full front of the action while you clever spellcasters fire down from the back." Grinning, the now huge dwarf strode forward, eyeing the four spiders warily. "Kelsey, we have a unique chance here-both of us are to the south of the casters-perhaps I can blockade the south side and you take the north side and we work together to channel the creatures into a point? I have a few tricks up my sleeve."

Shugaro found himself in the middle of the arena, maul in one hand and a bulging bag in the other. He was in his element; the battle was to be struck. Raising his locket briefly to his lips, he kissed it and turned to the south. Rage filled his soul, yet his anchor kept his head clear. Thank you, Arya, always... Pulling the string on the bag unleashed a torrent of tiny steel balls, bouncing all over the hard earth of the arena. Shugaro hefted his maul in both hands and shouted over his shoulder to the others. "Change the game, change the scene. Work the environment to our advantage and strike our enemies down with deadly alacrity!" Shugaro's fingers twitched on the handle of the maul, tossing it from side to side as he watched the mechanical spiders.

OOCQuick question-if we are so bad-ass that none of us take any damage (or in us barbarian's case, we resist plenty of damage), what happens to those bonus points for the frontline point #4?

 


Frontline Combatant

Pre-combat action: Drink Potion of Growth (Enlarge lasts for
Dice Roll:
1d4 1
(1) hours. Enlarge grants Large size (10ft size, 10ft reach), advantage on Strength Checks and saving throws and Weapon damage increased by 1d4). Shugaro now occupies H-I 2-3. Shugaro now holds a bag of ball bearings in his right hand and his Maul in his left hand.

Combat Round 1 actions:

Move: H-I 2-3 -> G-H 6-7
Action: Spread one bag of ball bearings in a 10ft square covering the area I-J 8-9. Any creature moving through the area must make a DC 10 Dexterity roll or fall prone. Creatures moving at half speed do not need to make a roll.
Bonus Action: Activate Rage. 1-minute duration. Advantage on Strength Checks and Saving Throws. +2 bonus to Melee damage rolls. Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
 

 
__________________

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Settling into a work pattern. Mid-week is busy, close to weekends, clear for posting

Last edited by pianoman90; Jul 20th, 2020 at 05:55 AM.
  #3  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 07:08 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 9549
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 3,006
Kelsey
right-aligned image
Kelsey stumbled into the chandler in a daze. Elinatta, the gnome chandler, reached out instinctively from behind her counter, concerned he was going to barrel into something. "Oy there, don't knock anything about," she grumbled.

"Sorry, I needed to tell someone. I've been accepted by a sponsor. I might be closer to becoming a Crossing Companion." He could barely believe his luck. Saint Cecilia had even enclosed a gift with the letter. Just like doing business in the guilds, he supposed.

Despite her churlishness, Elinatta looked genuinely happy at the news. "Ay, well done then! Maybe today's candle can be a present."

"Oh, uh..." Kelsey blushed. He hadn't intended to collect a candle today. He'd bought a candle every time he visited, and he wasn't burning through them fast enough. He either needed to sleep by excessive candlelight or visit less. And he couldn't visit less. "Thank you, I'd gladly accept. I've just been trying to prepare for ... well, they want me to fight, prove I can hold my own in a battle. Got one of these protection cloaks for the occasion, I've never liked armour much .. weighed one down too much on deck back in the day ..." he tugged at the bundle of fabric tucked under one arm; it felt wonderful, like he could slip it on and feel insulated from all the troubles of the world.

"Kelsey," said Elinatta slowly. She knew when he was nervous. "You can do this. It's for a good cause, defending the land and such." He looked sympathetic. "It's okay to be scared."

"Is it? I know it's natural, but I never thought I'd be doing this again. Not ideal," Kelsey said softly.

"Nothing is. We don't all get happy endings. But the way you tell it, you got a second chance. Maybe your Saint Cecilia believes this is what you were brought back for. To make this big 'ol difference once you get accepted into the Companions."

Kelsey hadn't thought of it that way before. And Elinatta had been candid in the past about her skepticism over his tale of death - he hadn't been revived with divine magic, and he wasn't undead, so what was she supposed to believe? The chandler had been in the grim rationalism of urban life for too long, even by her own admission. But here she was, weaponising the experience as motivation regardless. Always making the most of anything thrown on her doorstep. No wonder he adored her. "Thank you," he said. "The next trial is tomorrow."

"You want a scented candle then. Help you sleep," she said, slamming a large odd-coloured candle on the counter in front of her. "A gift, like I said. Good luck tomorrow."



Kelsey hadn't slept well. His room had been too bright, even after he shifted most of the burning candles into a closet. But the aroma of the scented candle had cut through. He couldn't place it, something floral and maybe a little of her signature sandalwood. It was nice. He dreamed pleasantly when he did drop to sleep.

And in the morning, he'd taken a little while to wake up enough to deduce where to go my the given address, even with his local knowledge of Harthford. It was lucky he'd left early, unable to stand around his little home waiting to leave. The arrival had lacked ceremony, aside from Sir Ethan's beaming greeting before he was whisked into a large dirt-caked arena. His enemies were idle on the other end of the space already - mechanical spiders. That didn't seem like it'd be an enjoyable thing to try to hit.

Don't worry about getting killed. Sir Ethan had said that.

It sounded like a token phrase, but ... it did take a lot off his mind. A fight without any risk of paying the ultimate price. Maybe he could have a little fun with it.

He stood next to the investigator, John. They'd had a brief encounter at the sponsor meetings but it had been fleeting. He didn't exactly look like someone poised to fight against any mechanical monstrosities. "Not sure if they expect us all to be big scrappers. Although I suppose you learned a few things catching those murderers and criminals you were talking about. I don't suppose any of your cases gave you any advice on grappling a spider? I tend to have more experience with the two-armed and two-legged kind of monster myself." He shut himself up, hearing the babbling echo in his ears. He was nervous. Speeches and sponsors were easy for him, he knew how to barter and negotiate. Swinging a sword again ... he'd sworn he'd never do that again. This felt irregular, wrong to him now. The sword had good weight, but ...

The dwarf, Shaguro, drew up next to him on the other side and nodded. One front-line fighter to another. Kelsey recognised the sort of gesture from his days lining up to defend against boarding pirates. He nodded back. "Shame we didn't get to talk much at the last meeting. I suppose this is how we get to know each other."

Shaguro's eyes twinkled in response as he pulled out a noxious-looking red potion and downed it in one gulp. Kelsey had questions on his tongue - was that a potion of healing he just wasted? - and then the dwarf was at eye level, and it dawned on him what was happening. He stepped back as Shaguro grew, now looming over them.

Shaguro seized the initiative, taking it upon himself to blockade the southern wing of the arena. Well, then. The least Kelsey could do was to help complete the defensive line. He ran forward, ducking to avoid the casual arc of Shaguro's maul as the dwarf took his position near a line of spilled ball bearings. I have bearings in my pocket. I think they've been there since that last sale of metal scrap. Why didn't I think of that?

He did his best to estimate where best to place himself. If he'd worked it out correctly, he and Shaguro effectively covered most of the arena's width with their combined presence. No spider was getting past them without hurting for it.

And there were the spiders, not far away from him now.

Don't worry about getting killed.

And yet his heart thudded. It was hard to think about combat without the possibility of death. He'd seen enough of it, in a variety of ways. Drowning. Skewering. Shark attacks. Vanishing during storms. And that was just at sea. Gods. Imagine if he'd had to get on a ship for these trials.

Don't worry about getting killed.

He was still terrified. His grip was sweaty, his feet unsure. Being back in this situation did him no favours. But he was here. And even if their lives weren't on the line, he needed to do the right thing by his allies. He needed to prove himself. Just a job. It was just a job, just a way to get paid and make ends meet. Just a job.

"Let's make a proper job of it then!" he barked aloud, hoping no one heard the quiver in his voice. He flicked the scimitar out, and in that moment, it felt like an extention of his arm again. It felt right. And he hated himself a little bit in that moment because of it. Once a killer, always a killer, it seemed.


 


OOCFrontline fighter

Purchased: 1 Cloak of Protection (500G)

Round 0 Action: Enter rage
Move: to C6
Action: Ready - if a spider enters a square adjacent to me I'll attack with scimitar as a main action. Attack:
Dice Scimitar readied attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (5)+5 Total = 10
(10) Damage:
Dice Scimitar damage + rage:
1d6+5 (3)+5 Total = 8
(8)
Bonus Action: Used to deliver extra attack with handaxe (under two-weapon rules) if readied action triggers. Attack:
Dice Handaxe readied attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (17)+5 Total = 22
(22) Damage:
Dice Handaxe damage, no Str but rage:
1d6+2 (4)+2 Total = 6
(6)
Reactions: Attack of opportunity if applicable.
Dice Scimitar opportunity attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (11)+5 Total = 16
(16) Damage:
Dice Scimitar damage + rage:
1d6+5 (1)+5 Total = 6
(6)
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands

Last edited by HotsuSama; Jul 20th, 2020 at 07:13 AM.
  #4  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 03:55 PM
Strange2099's Avatar
Strange2099 Strange2099 is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 5205
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Posts: 2,388
Sebastian
left-aligned image


The nights passed slowly for Sebastian. More than two weeks had passed since he first set out from home to make the trip to Hartford. It was difficult to say goodbye to his mother, but she had encouraged him to make the trip and would have no second-guessing from him about his departure. When he left his mother, he did so without looking back, excited to face head-on the adventures that life had in store for him!

In the weeks that followed, he would settle into a routine, of sorts. Traveling during the day and stopping at the various Inns and Taverns along the way to rest, at night. Sleep came easy, back then, usually after a long night of entertaining the clientele, or sometimes being entertained by the clientele.

Yet, for all his bravado and optimism, Sebastian now felt uneasy. Upon reaching Hartford, he initially enjoyed the first round of “challenges”. He gained the patronage of a Sponsor, one that he looked up to as the father he never had. And he met so many, friendly people! Colleagues and companions that he hoped he could call “friends”. Despite everything working out so well for him in his endeavors, there was ... something, which felt not quite right. It kept him up at night and robbed him of his sleep. Uncharacteristically for the young Tiefling, he stayed aloof from the others, unable to enjoy the companionship, which he reveled in just the night, before.

The only solace he found while waiting the three days to start the next challenge was in the gifts from his sponsor. A scroll, bestowed upon him by Brom. But more importantly, he used the funds provided him to purchase an item, a special item, which reminded him of his mother. He heard the item played at the shop, and although he already possessed a similar instrument of his own, this one perfectly recreated that sound! The same sound that would accompany his mother’s lullabies, which she’d sing to him when he was younger. Though he was now well beyond the age for indulging in lullabies, he nevertheless paid the premium price to purchase the instrument, to hear the sweet sounds that reminded him of his mother.




Standing in the make-shift arena, Sebastian was not quite sure of what to expect in this latest "challenge". He watched with wide eyes as the dwarf, Shugaro, grew to a size that no dwarf should be! When he and Kelsey moved into position to form a defensive line, Sebastian realized what their plan was.

"That's pretty neat, Shugaro! Though, there seems to be a hole in your line. Right -- there!"
Sebastian pointed at the far wall to the south and a Cantripbonfire erupted against the wall, blocking the K6narrow strip of ground that was uncovered by his front-line defenders.

"Okay, brother!" Sebastian called to Kelsey. "You hold the north line, and I'll just sneak up a bit over here...come on, Mr. Faraday! You can sneak with me!"

Moving to E6forward in between Kelsey and Shugaro, Sebastian heeded "Kelsey, Sebastian and John! We have a wonderful opportunity to work with each other here. I see Kelsey and I taking full front of the action while you clever spellcasters fire down from the back."the advice from the dwarf-turned-giant to work his magic from behind their defensive line.
"I'll stay behind you, big guy!" he replied to Shugaro. "But, first..." Sebastian briefly stepped around the dwarf-turned-giant and focused on the clockwork spiders as he unfurled a scroll.
"Peek-a-boo!" As he said his magic words, 3 glowing darts flew forth to strike the spiders - one into Dart #2 for 5 force dmg to Spider 4the southern-most one and two into Darts 1 & 3 to Spider 3 for 7 force dmgthe spider directly in front of Shuaro.

"Well, that's two down and two to go! I just hope those other spiders can't climb walls! Because if they can....!"



OOC Combat Role: Second Line Caster

Purchased: You must be proficient with wind instruments to use these pipes. They have 3 Charges. You can use an action to play them and expend 1 charge to create an eerie, spellbinding tune. Each creature within 30 feet of you that hears you play must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or become Frightened of you for 1 minute. If you wish, all creatures in the area that aren't Hostile toward you automatically succeed on the saving throw. A creature that fails the saving throw can repeat it at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. A creature that succeeds on its saving throw is immune to the effect of these pipes for 24 hours. The pipes regain 1d3 expended Charges daily at dawn.Pipes of Haunting (500G)
Sponsor Gift: Scroll of 1st-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.
Magic Missiles

Action BlockPreparatory Action = Cast Cantrip: Bonfire (placed at K6)
Movement = 20' forward to E6
Action = Cast Magic Missile from scroll:
Dice Dart 1 Damage:
d4+1 (2)+1 Total = 3
(3) to Spider 3,
Dice Dart 2 Damage:
d4+1 (4)+1 Total = 5
(5) to Spider 4,
Dice Dart 3 Damage:
d4+1 (3)+1 Total = 4
(4) to Spider 3.
Movement = 10' back to E4.
Bonus Action = N/A.
Reaction = Only IF triggered: Cast Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell. Range: Self. Components: V, S. Duration: 1 round. An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.Shield (Level 1 spell).

 

__________________
Forest Acolyte, Plant GuardianDesert ScorpionFoxy Trickster
Cold-blooded AssassinBereaved Widow, Eternal Believer✓Delusional Dreamer✓
Fallen Angel (Child Oracle)Red Dead Redemption???

Last edited by Strange2099; Jul 20th, 2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Adjust for damage rolls.
  #5  
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Wishkamon's Avatar
Wishkamon Wishkamon is offline
Literal Worm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 5962
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Posts: 1,023
John Faraday”You have to help me.” John hissed angrily through his teeth into the mirror, casting a quick sideways glance at the bathroom door to make sure it hadn’t unlocked and opened itself while his back was turned, ”You said you would help me.” His chest felt tight with anxiety. He needed a drink but he was too hungover to stomach one.
The Adaru smirked at him, it’s feelers quivering with amusement. It’s small, black, insect eyes peered out from the grotesque baby-like face, and it’s mouth -too wide, and too full of teeth- was curved into a ravenous grin.
”I’m not just going to give you limitless power straight away am I poppet? You’ll hurt yourself- or worse, end up hurting someone else…”
It’s laugh was reminiscent of sewage trickling down a drain, and John wanted to smash his forehead against the mirror and the apparition that consumed it’s surface. Instead he grit his teeth and gripped the sink till his trembling knuckles turned white.

Getting through the first part of the interview had seemed like a godsend, a rope dangled down into the dark pit which he had dug for himself, but last night the fear and doubt had taken over again, and he had ruined two days of quietly-optimistic-sobriety.
He was angry at himself, but not really surprised.
Still, at least he’d managed to show up at all; that had to be worth something.
He’d convinced himself that it was joining the Crossing Companions, or it was the humiliating death which he really deserved, and although he wasn't particularly keen on continuing to live, he was still too scared to die. So here he was.

”-Please, everyone else out there probably has years of experience with a blade or with magic. I can barely hold a sodding crossbow... -He was actually fairly skilled with the crossbow, but he wasn't about to let a little thing like the truth get in the way of giving himself a good emotional beating- ”... There has to be something you can do.”
”Just… try to relax...”
The investigator laughed, or cried; he struggled to distinguish the pathetic, ragged sound that escaped from his chapped lips. Relax? Relax?!
”Hrm, no I suppose not,” the centipedal creature drawled, [b]Well, then consider this- you have wielded magic with great success before, Johnny boy, why don't you try to remember what that felt like, hrmm? You do remember, don’t you?[/i] John swallowed dryly. He wasn’t even sure if he did remember, or if he’d just crafted the smoky memory in his own head. ”Did you ever make her moan like that?”
John pushed himself away from the mirror then, too scared to listen to anymore of the demon’s insidious words. Just go. Now. Quickly. Just before he opened the door he lifted his hand and slapped himself as hard as he could across the face in the hope that the stinging jolt would wake him up or sort him out or... something...

The empty mirror behind him chuckled.

-

Everyone else was already lined up against the back wall, awaiting Sir Ethan’s instruction. John was glad to see Sebastian again- the tiefling’s magical abilities would make up for his own ineptitude. Shugaro oozed a warrior's confidence, but Kasey looked a little less enthusiastic.
John rubbed his eyes with the heel of his palms as he approached, as though he might be able scrub away the preposterous situation he had found himself in. Nope. He was still walking into a competition he had no chance of winning -into a room filled with ominous looking metal spiders, with a hangover from hell. Come to think of it, maybe he was still a tiny bit drunk.
Good, he thought, that would help.

The investigator looked considerably less presentable than he had done at the Waltzing Witches three days prior. His skin was pale and clammy, and his left eye was swollen and darkened with a which was a mystery even to him. His hair was messy, and his cheek and neck bristled with stubble. The plan had been to clean himself up this morning, but when he’d woken up in a bush with the taste of vomit in his mouth and a head pounding like an orcish war-drum, he’d decided that an extra hour’s sleep was more important. Hopefully Sir Brom wouldn’t be observing from a front row seat because he certainly might not approve of his outwards appearance today.

Tense with embarrassment and guilt, John approached the rest of the party, sure that they were peering into him and reading him like an open book. He re-lit the half burnt cigarette which hung from his lips as if he might be able to hide behind the cloud of smoke.
”Chaps.” he croaked in greeting. The pathetic sound of his own voice made him feel the need to address his obviously disheveled state. ”Good to see you all again. Um, sorry you all got stuck with me.” he laughed awkwardly. ”I’m afraid I ate some bad fish last night. The chef said it was fresh, but I should have known better, being so far inland and all.
Dice Deception roll, just for flair and fun to see how convincing that blatant lie was.:
1d20+5 (19)+5 Total = 24
(24) Hopefully I can at least make the rest of you look better in comparison...”

He laughed again, with a grin that was more of a grimace, and then quickly turned to face Sir Ethen, hoping that the fresh mint leaves he had crammed into his mouth earlier were enough to mask the smell of shame and desperation on his breath.

Oh, this was going to be rough.

Kelsey had seemed to perk up at the revelation that there would be no dying today, but the inspector’s shoulders sagged a little. ”Shame” he muttered distantly to himself under his breath, and then sheepishly wondered if he’d said that outloud or not. There would be no easy way out today. Well then, In that case all there was left to do was give it his best shot and try not to throw up or pass out. How hard could that be?

John shed his heavy overcoat and threw it into an undignified heap against the back wall, tucking all the things he thought he might need into his belt as Kelsey addressed him. He was consoled to hear the same sort of rambling nervousness in the sailor’s voice that he’d had in his own, and it softened him towards the barbarian.

”Not sure if they expect us all to be big scrappers. Although I suppose you learned a few things catching those murderers and criminals you were talking about. I don't suppose any of your cases gave you any advice on grappling a spider? I tend to have more experience with the two-armed and two-legged kind of monster myself…”

”To be honest if I’d had to arrest one of these things, I suspect I might have considered dropping the charges...” he said with a frail grin which hoped would seem reassuring. looking for weakness/exposed mechanismsObserving the enemies, he added in a slightly louder voice, ”Perhaps we can jam any exposed cogs or gears to quickly immobilize them?”

Shugaro stepped forward then, speaking concisely and wiseley and advising the party with authority. John nodded along in agreement with every word he said, his heart pounding in his throat as the anticipation built. The dwarf was clearly in his element as he quaffed a potion and began to grow in size, and both these things were reassuring.
The inspector was distracted for a moment watching the newly expanded dwarf kiss his locket, realising with a gut wrenching feeling that the item of jewelry was likely the same as the one he himself wore beneath his shirt, though he doubted if Shugaro was scared to look at the smiling face inside like he was.

...Beetle casings and singed hair, that lusty moan...

Before a creeping wave of nausea and dissociation could get it’s claws into him, Sebastian’s enthusiastic timbre cut in and John forced his weak legs into action. Now or never. He moved alongside the young sorcerer to take up a position D4under Kelsey and Shugaro's protection., sucking one last famished drag from his cigarette before flicking the smoldering end down into the soft dirt and hefting his crossbow over his shoulder. Despite the shaking of his hands and the sickening spin on the edges of his vision he managed to load the bolt, and only jumped a few inches when Sebastian launched his magic missile with flair and a touch of humor. He supposed he really ought to be using his magic too, but he was working up to it. He needed to build up a bit of adrenaline first to overcome his fear of it. Sebastian’s easy going attitude was also reassuring, and he wished he could find the words to tell everyone how great they were without giving himself away as the emotional wreck which he was.

And so he exhaled a shaky breath and unleashed the bolt from his crossbow towards Spider 2- miss!!one of the foes.
It felt like an underwhelming move, but he supposed that was fitting, especialy when the bolt pinged harmlessly from the spider's armour. He swore under his breath, then, in an attempt to mask his disapointment and pander to his fellow second line fighter he said,
"Damn it, I knew I wasted my money on these bolts. Should have gone with that Rolled-Up-Newspaper of Splatting..."
In actuality he did regret spending his sponsor’s money on the first thing he had come across, but he'd been desperate to get rid of the money before he started drinking it.
He sighed inwardly, and tried to prepare himself mentaly for the spiders attack.


 


OOCPre-round
-Gains Scroll of witch bolt.
-Spending the 500 gold on Crossbow bolts+1(20)

Pre-combat preparations-
-Investigating for any exposed cogs or obvious weaknesses in the design of the robots.
Dice Investigation:
1d20+4 (3)+4 Total = 7
(7)
-Taking a second-line role.

Combat round 1
Movement- Moving to D4
Action- firing crossbow bolt(+1) at spider 2
Dice to hit:
1d20+4 (9)+4 Total = 13
(13)- to hit.
Dice damage:
1d8+2 (6)+2 Total = 8
(8)damage

---

Ahhh good luck everyone!!

__________________
My bones are lazy, but my soul's on fire.
Agetha - Philamine - Ches - Daigen

Last edited by Wishkamon; Jul 20th, 2020 at 06:07 PM.
  #6  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 07:31 AM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is offline
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 27096
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 7,753
Round 1For a few moments, the arena is still. The enemies are still as statues; just inert hunks of metal. On top of the wall, the contestants can see their sponsors, accompanied by assorted spectators from town (and beyond!). This should be quite a show, even for a city as large as Harthford. The adventurers seize the moment of peace. Shugaro quaffs a potion and grows, both up and out. Sebastian works on funneling the enemies into the waiting blades of his comrades-in-arms, by placing a bonfire near the edge of the arena. John ponders the metal spiders, but in their pre-battle stillness, they are inscrutable.

Then Sir Ethan shouts from above: "Begin!" In that moment, the spiders begin to jitter and creak and whirr into animation. It takes them a few moments to fully engage all of their servos and gears. The adventurers don't waste those moments.

Shugaro stomps forward, sending up clouds of dust with his enlarged feet. But instead of smashing, he scatters his shiny new satchel of ball bearings, further restricting the movement options of the spiders. Standing there at the heart of the battlefield, he makes a prime target. Spider 3One spider skitters up to the enlarged dwarf. It chug chug chugs for a moment, and then is Make a DC 13 DEX save. On success, no effect. On fail, Shugaro is covered in a sticky black oil (which has no obvious impact, aside from being gross).squelches a black goop at Shugaro, from a nozzle on its underbelly.

The other nearby spider 4spider does not seem designed to process the balls that are clattering at its feet, nor does it seem interested in them. An aperture opens on the top of its abdomen, and from that opening a long tube emerges. The spider adjusts its position slightly to point the tube at Shugaro, and then FOOM a projectile bursts forth in a small burst of fire.
Dice spider 4 cannon to hit vs Shugaro:
1d20+3 (7)+3 Total = 10
(10) It flies wide, failing to hit the metaphorical broad side of a barn.

Kelsey advances, but cautiously. He stops before battle is truly joined, and waits for a spider to come and meet his blade. The nearest spider obliges, but Kelsey See OODM re: second attack. tl:dr: sorry, no dice.just misses the herky-jerky automaton. It is jittering to produce its own undercarriage nozzle, which emerges and Make a DC 13 DEX save. On success, no effect. On fail, Kelsey is covered in a sticky black oil (which has no obvious impact, aside from being gross).splurts out a black goop at Kelsey,

Sebastian distributes an array of magical bolts, 3 blasts hitting two of the spiders. John moves to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the sorcerer and fires off a more mundane-looking bolt at one spider, but it clanks harmlessly off the metallic abdomen. Sensing Sebastian as the greater threat, the Spider 2middle spider deploys its top-mounted cannon and opens fire on the sorceror.
Dice spider 2 cannon vs sebastian:
1d20+3 (17)+3 Total = 20
(20) They don't look like much more than large toys, but they are well-designed for artillery service. The shot hits Sebastian.
Dice spider 2 cannon damage (bludgeoning) vs Sebastian:
1d4+1 (3)+1 Total = 4
(4)
Map

1 square = 5'
Outside edge are stone wall, the ceiling is 20' high. The floor is a flat hard-packed earth. Player-provided environmental hazards are labeled accordingly.
OODMI need a DC 13 DEX save from both Kelsey and Shugaro. On fail, you are covered in a black oily goop, but you do not notice any immediate ill effects. No effect on a save.

Thank you all for the clear accounting of movement and actions and bonus actions! And thanks for the quick posting yesterday; it means I can get this up all the earlier today.

I'm afraid, HotsuSama, that you can't use two-weapon fighting that way. To use your off-hand attack, you need to 1) use your bonus action, and 2) take the attack action. But you can only use a bonus action on your turn, and you didn't take the Attack action, you took the Ready action. So you can't make that second attack.

Strange2099, your text and your action block are contradictory. The text says you focused-fire a bit on one spider. The action block said you spread out the damage. I went with the text, but the choice is basically arbitrary from my perspective, and you don't want to force me to choose among those sorts of options. GM reading error, thanks for the correction Strange.


 


Adventurer Role AC HP Conditions
Shugaro Front line 14 16/16 DC 13 DEX save, or oiled up
Kelsey Front line 14 14/14 DC 13 DEX save, or oiled up
Sebastian Second line 12 4/8 none
John Second line 12 11/11 none

Enemy AC Damage taken Conditions
Spider 1 15 none none
Spider 2 15 none none
Spider 3 15 7 damage none
Spider 4 15 5 damage none

Score Mechanics
 
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Found Family, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:20 AM.
  #7  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 08:59 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 9549
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 3,006
Kelsey
right-aligned image
Kelsey waited for the spider to come at him and flailed at it with both his weapons. Oof, that was a dead duck of a first round for me then. I interpreted Ready as being a deliberate delay of main turn actions, but I see what you mean.He underestimated how quickly he could strike back at the approaching mechanism, and his sword clanged off the side of the main plating. His arm vibrated. Bad shot. Clumsy shot. He was out of practise.

He thought he could still get a shot in, and then he found himself on the receiving end of a spray of black, noxious gunk.
Dice Dex save:
1d20+2sch13 (7)+2 Total = 9
(9) It coated him. He couldn't worry about that too much right now.

He was already on the back foot. He needed to reposition and get an upper hand. Worse, his side of the field was weakly defended now. The two supporting fighters were behind him and he couldn't fend off two spiders on his own for long. "Shaguro, I might need some relief here soon!" he called out. "Sebastian, take cover if you can! I have something here if you end up needing it!" He jostled Cecilia's gift out from under his cloak - a potion of healing - and bounced it along to rest in the dirt not far from John's feet. It was hasty, but they might need it more than he would and he wasn't sure if he could spare the time to throw it properly with two spiders approaching.

He didn't let on that he was really hoping to save that potion for himself. The next couple of minutes were going to hurt.

He moved, happy to leave the worst of the smell from that spider-gunk behind him. The spider whirred and clacked as it tracked him around a circle. Kelsey encircled the spider, raising his weapons to fend off what retaliatory shots he could, and positioned himself between his spider and the one that had shot at Sebastian. At least now he was in a more central position, and could reach both mechanisms in a pinch.

Kelsey's spider, the one so keen to see him wounded and covered in gunk, still snapped at him. And something in Kelsey snapped. He didn't want to get hurt. He didn't want anyone else here getting hurt. Death or no death, this was obscene. He lashed out with both sword and axe, just trying the beat the damned thing away from him. He'd pummel it into the ground and reduce its gears to scrap and dust if it would secure his safety.

But at the same time, he wanted to keep the attention of these things. Keep them close to his own little circle of influence, rather than firing on Sebastian and John at will. So here he was, pinching himself in the middle of two mechanical spiders and flailing wildly at one of them. His heart thudded and his head swam. He was terrified. And that terror was driving him on.


 


OOCMisc.: Dropping a Potion of Healing at D5 before moving.
Move: to D8. Taking attack of opportunity from spider 1 if necessary.
Action: Attack spider 1. Attack:
Dice Scimitar readied attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (6)+5 Total = 11
(11) Damage:
Dice Scimitar damage + rage:
1d6+5 (6)+5 Total = 11
(11)
Bonus Action: Extra attack on spider (under two-weapon rules). Attack:
Dice Handaxe readied attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (6)+5 Total = 11
(11) Damage:
Dice Handaxe damage, no Str but rage:
1d6+2 (2)+2 Total = 4
(4)
Reactions: Attack of opportunity if applicable.
Dice Scimitar opportunity attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (20 (natural 20))+5   Total = 25
→ 1d20+5sch15cx,20 (2)+5 Total = 7
(25→7) Damage:
Dice Scimitar damage + rage:
1d6+5 (1)+5 Total = 6
(6)
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands

Last edited by HotsuSama; Jul 21st, 2020 at 09:39 AM.
  #8  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:57 AM
Wishkamon's Avatar
Wishkamon Wishkamon is offline
Literal Worm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 5962
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Posts: 1,023
John FaradayThe eight legged contraptions began whining and humming as their internal mechanisms engaged and then slowly ticked over into motion and the illusion of life.

Two of the spiders projected a stream of oily black substance onto the front line fighters, and the others presented their artillery, sending hissing projectiles rocketing through the air towards Kelsey and Sebastian.
”I think they mean to make us flammable with the oil, take care Kelsey!” he called out horsley, feeling certain he was pointing out the obvious but trying desperately to be helpful after his first shot had failed so miserably.

Just then he felt something whiz past him and as he glanced to the side he saw Sebastian take a hit from the artillery. A red red spray momentarily clouded the air between them and he felt some of the mist dampen his face. He wasn’t sure what lurched more, his heart or his stomach. He knew Sebastion wouldn’t be allowed to die today but nonetheless witnessing such a severe blow up close and on one so young and cheerful was jarring. He realized it had probably been a mistake staying so close to the sorcerer, that they were an easy target for a spread attack if they were bunched together like this, and reasonably out in the open anyway.

With a sincere look of concern that seemed to break through his otherwise distant and glazed expression he squeezed Sebastian’s shoulder, shaking him a little to make sure shock hadn’t gotten to him.
”Are you ok?” He shouted urgently, perhaps more in the tielfing’s face than was really necessary due to his panic, and making a tugging gesture with his hand, trying to encourage the sorcerer to move with him ”C’mon, let’s move down behind Shugaro!”

He staggered into motion, heading for the cover of the large dwarf and almost stumbling from a sudden bout of dizziness as he sprang into action. His brain felt like it was trying to expand out past the limits of his skull- a white hot throbbing pain which he could really have done without given the situation. What was he doing here? This was so stupid. Thankfully the heat of battle and the lucidity brought on by witnessing the damage to his fellow caster up close did not allow him the time to wallow in self pity. He let the crossbow fall from his hands as he moved, the weight of it pulling the strap tight against his shoulder and knocking into his chest as he took his new position. He needed to do better. Without thinking his fingers tightened around the Scroll of Witch Bolt which he had rammed in between his belt and trousers and he hastily pulled it out and unrolled it.

At first the words on it just seemed like a jumble of symbols, some strange language for which he had no cypher and he cried out in confused anger, but as he scanned them desperately he felt a sudden and strange understanding. The symbols faded and the paper turned to dust in his fingers, but he could feel it’s arcane power focused in the locket around his neck, burning white hot against his skin in a way that was both exhilarating and terrifying. Wanting suddenly for it to be gone John looked up at his target, peering out from behind Shugaro and fixing his eyes on the metalic arachnid that he had failed to damage the first time. The hairs on his arms began to stand up and a faint static crackle and pop fizzled into existence around him. As if compelled by some force he didn't understand, nor care to, he lifted his hands in Spider 2the automaton’s direction and a white and blue arc of lightning leapt from his fingertips and 15 to hit! yes! 6 damage!struck the metal monster.

To his astonishment the lighting caught and the arc was sustained. He could feel the power vibrating through his entire body and was completely unable to contain a hysterical burst of laughter and a string of swear words that might have made anyone other than Kelsey blush.

 


OOCCombat round 2
Movement- Moving to G5 (20ft)
Action- Using Scroll of Witchbolt on Spider 2
Dice to hit:
1d20+5 (10)+5 Total = 15
(15) to hit,
Dice damage:
1d12 6
(6)lightning damage

__________________
My bones are lazy, but my soul's on fire.
Agetha - Philamine - Ches - Daigen

Last edited by Wishkamon; Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:24 AM.
  #9  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 01:55 PM
Strange2099's Avatar
Strange2099 Strange2099 is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 5205
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Posts: 2,388
Sebastian ~ Tiefling Shadow Sorcerer
left-aligned image


"Brother!!" Sebastian yelled out when he saw the mechanical spider attack his new allies, spraying his “brother in arms” in a black, sticky goo. Exasperated by their lack of fortune, and the spiders’ relentless drive after having refused to crumble beneath his magical salvo, Sebastian’s yellow eyes flared cat-like as he watched disbelievingly his advancing adversaries. Yet, the spiders were many. The ones he had struck survived, unbroken. Their advance was quick, coordinated, effective. Distracted by the vicious attacks against those he would call “friend”, he failed to notice that *he* was also being targeted, until it was too late.

Like his new, older “brother”, Sebastian has also fallen and risen, with life renewed. The “gift” he could display was nothing short of miraculous. The “miracle” didn’t save him from feeling pain, however. Each and every time, it felt like his insides died, anyway, but somehow continued moving. Dead flesh, reanimated. Each. And every. Time.

Of course, this was not one of those times. The wound he received from the mechanical spider was serious, but not deadly. It still hurt. Sebastian's world went silent, save for the ringing in his ears, as he tried to shake it off, trying to avoid showing weakness in front of his new friends. “No weakness,” he thought to himself. “That’s not what proud Tieflings do!” John Faraday provided suitable encouragement by yelling in his face. "I’m alright," he said in a faint voice, only half-hearing whatever it was that a John said. "I’m alright!" he insisted, louder, as he quickly regained his bearings. "Don’t worry, everyone. I’m Okay! Just need to walk it off...." His voice did its best to hide the pain. But his eyes could not hide the anger.

His eyes also could not hide the desire to retrieve the potion, dropped by Kelsey. Darting forward to snatch it off the ground, Sebastian looked up to whisper his “thanks” to his big brother, but Kelsey was already gone - striking at the machines to defend him. To keep *him*, safe!

Sebastian decided that, pain or no pain, he needed to step up and help his brothers. Of course, stepping “up” for him meant stepping “back”, to prevent himself from being a further liability to the team.

"Okay, big brother. I mean, bigger brother! This time, I’m really staying behind you! I mean it! Really!! ... but, maybe first...let’s try fighting fire with Fire!"

Weaving his hands into a quick contortion of shapes traced into the very air in front of him, he started speaking in a Infernalstrange, dark tongue. He finished with a sudden gesture towards Spider 3the Spider that was menacing Shugaro, and flames sprang forth from his hands, towards the mechanical monster, to strike it with infernal energy.

"Maybe that will stop those cogs of yours, for good!"


OOC
Action BlockConcentration = To maintain Bonfire cantrip (placed at K6)
Dice CON save to maintain concentration on the Bonfire:
d20+4sch10 (18)+4 Total = 22
(22)
Movement = 5' diagonally to D5
Item interaction = Pick up Healing Potion.
Action = Cast Cantip: Firebolt
Dice Attack:
d20+5sch15 (15)+5 Total = 20
(20) at Spider 3 for
Dice Firebolt damage:
d10 10
(10).
Movement = down 20' and back 5' to H4.
Bonus Action = N/A.
Reaction = Only IF triggered: Cast Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell. Range: Self. Components: V, S. Duration: 1 round. An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.Shield (Level 1 spell).

 

__________________
Forest Acolyte, Plant GuardianDesert ScorpionFoxy Trickster
Cold-blooded AssassinBereaved Widow, Eternal Believer✓Delusional Dreamer✓
Fallen Angel (Child Oracle)Red Dead Redemption???

Last edited by Strange2099; Jul 21st, 2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Max Damage!
  #10  
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 05:11 PM
pianoman90's Avatar
pianoman90 pianoman90 is offline
Playin' Dungas and Dragos
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19401
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Posts: 7,764
Combat begins
left-aligned image
Shugaro watched the unfolding tactics of both teams with a grim look. First to act initially, he was now the last to move, nearly paralyzed by flame and goo. He had tried to dodge
Dice Dex save:
1d20+1sch13 (10)+1 Total = 11
(11) the black, greasy substance, rolling to the left as the spider shot its payload forward. It was to no avail-the wretched stuff coated his boy, sticking to his clothes, his skin, and his weapon. He was disgusted by the rank smell of the stuff, but it was the flames that shot towards him from multiple sides that caused him spine-tingling chills.

The spiderling that Shugaro and Sebastian had effectively trapped seemed content to belch forth its flame cannon, and Sebastian himself was flinging blasts of fire around for anyone who cared to take one. Stuck right in between two hot blasts, Shugaro was not feeling safe. A worried glance down at his oily-covered clothes and body was all it took to convince him of the ever-present danger. Shugaro looked over his shoulder to Sebastian and called out. "Keep an eye on where that flame goes, yeah? If this is what I think it is, one little accident will have either Kelsey, or I go up in an instant! I don't know if these spiders have any more of that disgusting stuff, but if they do, maybe you can fire your flames directly into the gob of one of the creatures and... Ka-BOOM! No more spider..."

The dwarf smiled grimly at his own joke, then nodded across to Kelsey again, grappling with his own spider menace. "You ok over there Kelsey? Watch to your right-the spiderling with the cannon had a channel to keep firing down at the casters. I didn't know they were ranged either, but we have to be prepared now for anything. I'm coming to you!" Shugaro blessed his sponsor's boon, Sir Stefphonson was watching somewhere up in the crowd, right? He could use his massive bulk to dictate terms on the battlefield well, keeping himself between as many spiders and both John and Sebastian. Shugaro took one step towards Kelsey and nearly in front of the Spider 2cannon spider and grinned. His massive maul and long arms could easily reach the pesky critter and those mechanical gadgets and gizmos wouldn't last one second against the massive weapon he wielded.

Shugaro flipped the weapon experimentally between his hands, noting the weight and feel of his old friend. Watching the Spider 2cannon spider carefully, he waited for a perfect moment to strike. Reaching out, the maul started to loop in the air, his powerful arms swinging violently in a circle and gaining momentum. In an instant, he lashed out, striking true and hard. The maul's blunt face slammed into the spider, flattening it like a pancake. Of course, it helped that the weapon itself was twice as big as the creature itself.

Satisfied that it was all he could do for now to prevent further carnage to Sebastian and John, Shugaro allowed himself to breathe out. He hadn't even realised he was holding his breath until that moment; the adrenaline of the fight took so much out of him. Nevertheless, there were still more dangers and plenty of time to account for them. Pointing to the Spider 4fire-cannon spider, he yelled out to Sebastian and John one more time. "Focus on ranged versus ranged! Kelsey and I can handle the melee, but we are going to struggle a little more against that one over in the corner. It may be trapped, but it hardly seems to mind. I don't want to find out what other tricks that little guy has over there..."

Shugaro eyed the carnage, looking for space to move and reach the other threats. John and Sebastian had taken refuge behind where he was, so he needed to protect them again. Grunting in response to Sebastian's 'Big Brother' comment (and allowing himself a wry smile), he moved. Taking several quick steps, the big dwarf first moved back to where he was, then straight into the mess of ball bearings. He moved slowly and carefully, yet with the single-minded intent to reach his opponent and prevent any openings for the wily spider to slip past.

OOC
Frontline Combatant

Combat Round 2 actions:

Move: G-H I-7 -> F-G 6-7 (5ft movement)
Action: Maul attack vs Spider 2 (10ft reach). To-hit
Dice Maul attack:
1d20+4sch15cx,20 (16)+4 Total = 20
(20), To-dam (main)
Dice Main maul damage:
2d6+4 (4, 4)+4 Total = 12
(12), To-dam (enlarge)
Dice Enlarge bonus damage:
1d4 3
(3)
Bonus Action: None
Post-attack movement: F-G 6-7 -> G-H 6-7 -> H-I 7-8 (15ft movement total. The move into the ball bearings was taken at half speed so I don't need to roll Dex)
 

 
__________________

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Settling into a work pattern. Mid-week is busy, close to weekends, clear for posting

Last edited by pianoman90; Jul 21st, 2020 at 05:41 PM.
  #11  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 08:07 AM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is offline
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 27096
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 7,753
Round 2Kelsey is again feeling old, but for a different reason than competing with teens and pre-teens. His combat technique is rusty, while the spiders are shiny and polished. His two attacks both fail to connect to the squirrely automaton.

His teammates are more successful. John produces a scroll. Reciting the spell, a bolt of lightning leaps from his hands, striking one of the spiders. Shugaro lumbers over, and Between John and Shugaro, Spider 2 is deadcrushes the thing into a wreck of springs and struts. The dwarf then returns to his ball bearings, to keep the threat on the two nearby spiders.

Sebastian hopes to do the same, polishing off one of the spiders that he already damaged. He summons up a mighty bolt of fire, as strong as he's ever made. He sends it arcing beautifully to its target. It hits square and true. He again expects his blasts to drop the machines. And yet, again, the results are not what he expected. The shiny metal carapace seems to quickly Looks like the spiders have resistance to fire damage!radiate off some of the heat, shedding the damage that should have otherwise killed it.

Why would that be? The answer comes quickly. The spiders near to Kelsey and Shugaro click their sharp metal mandibles together. Sparks fly and a small burst of flame emits. The spiders lunge, clicking their mandibles again, trying to press the flame against their oily clothes.
Dice spider 1 spark to hit vs Kelsey:
1d20+3 (1)+3 Total = 4
(4)
Dice spider 4 spark to hit vs Shugaro:
1d20+3 (14)+3 Total = 17
(17) Kelsey's spider misses, but Shugaro ignites in flames! One point of fire damageA small shock of pain warns that the oil will propel this fire, and it will become much more painful in mere moments. John's intuition was right: the clockwork creatures are designed to start fires, and to withstand the flames that they create. All the same, its metal shell warps under Sebastian's blast. It shakes but remains standing.

While Shugaro is doing his best to avoid the fire-starting spider, the other nearby opens fire upon him.
Dice spider 3 cannon attack vs Shugaro:
1d20+3 (2)+3 Total = 5
(5) It again flies wide.

From atop the wall, a voice rings out. Sir Ethan shouts, "One gone already? Not bad! OK, now we know it's not a mistake that you're here. Let's see exactly how much you guys can REALLY take." With a grunt, he heaves a large brass sphere over the wall. It falls onto the hard earth with a thud. On the impact, there is a squelching gush, and oil spills all around the sphere. Out of the ball, eight legs and a head begin to deploy. He's adding more spiders!
Map

1 square = 5'
Outside edge are stone wall, the ceiling is 20' high. The floor is a flat hard-packed earth. Environmental hazards are labeled as such.
OODMShugaro is on fire! If he does nothing, he will take ongoing fire damage (more than just one damage) at the end of his turn. As a full action, he may smother the flames out, which will prevent the ongoing damage.

 


Adventurer Role AC HP Conditions
Shugaro Front line 14 15/16 Oily, aflame
Kelsey Front line 14 14/14 Oily
Sebastian Second line 12 4/8 none
John Second line 12 11/11 none

Enemy AC Damage taken Conditions
Spider 1 15 none none
Spider 2 15 N/A dead
Spider 3 15 13 damage none
Spider 4 15 5 damage none
Spider 5 15 none none

Score Mechanics
 
__________________
GM of Uncaged: Found Family, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 10:32 AM.
  #12  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 10:25 AM
Wishkamon's Avatar
Wishkamon Wishkamon is offline
Literal Worm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 5962
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Posts: 1,023
John Faraday
He watched with wild eyes and uneven breath as the Spider 2contraption flashed and fizzled under the force of the magic, a plume of black smoke beginning to rise up from between it’s armoured plates. He was glad that this was not some creature of flesh and blood, writhing in pain or crying out, because there was no guilt. No suffering. It felt good. Shugaro was talking, his voice amplified by his size, but John could barely hear it. Only when the warrior moved forward, raising his huge maul over his head and bringing it down on their shared opponent did he remember that he had to pay attention to what was going on, blinking hard to break his concentration on the spider as it splintered into tiny pieces under the force of Shugaro’s blow. Small cogs and scraps of twisted metal pinged and bounced acrosss the ground. The feeling of the magic dissipated, the thrill of the power sapped away. He wiped the sweat from his brow with a shaky forearm, taking one more look at the pile of pulverised parts and feeling like he had been a part of it’s destruction, like maybe he wasn’t entirely useless after all?
No, no, he reassured himself, that blow would have crushed the creature anyway even if he hadn’t been there to help- his efforts had been completely pointless. Still, he felt emboldened, The adrenaline flowing in full force to compliment the blood in his alcohol-stream.
He realised that he was laughing, chuckling quietly to himself like a complete maniac, and quickly stopped. Still, it just all seemed so surreal and preposterous...

And then the ten-foot dwarf burst into flames.

He knew that wasn’t funny, it really wasn’t funny… but… ”C’mon, C’mon!” he growled to himself in between a few giddy guffaws. He might have lost it completely had he not suddenly inhaled the smell of burning skin and hair. He wretched, the smell and intense heat triggering a screaming, clawing, agonizing, memory.
He could have drowned in it then, given in to it and thrown himself into the fire like he should have done on that night, but what was the point? Be revived by the half-orc priestess and have to explain that he was not in fit to join the crossing companions because he was in fact, completely freaking insane?
So he didn’t. He slammed the door on it and pushed a chair up against it. Plenty of time to break down later.
The ex-investigator groaned nautiously, rubbing the stinging pain in one temple and looking around to assess the situation.
He could see Kelsey struggling with one of the beasts, scimitar clanging against it’s armoured body, and Sebastian, still injured, with eyes blazing with magic and rage.
Shugaro didn't seem particularly troubled by the fact that he was ablaze, and John wondered if it was even worth trying to douse the flames if the battle was to be so short. A giant finger directed him towards the spider 4south-most spider
”Focus on ranged versus ranged!”
John nodded, even though he knew Shugaro could not see his confirmation.
The thing was still on the other side of the ball bearings, uncaring and untroubled, but there was another approaching straight ahead which he wanted to get clear of, not caring to get a look of it’s sharp metal pincers any closer than he already could.

To top it off Sir Ethan’s cheerful voice sang out over the stadium and he gleefully added 8 more legs to the scramble.
"One gone already? Not bad! OK, now we know it's not a mistake that you're here. Let's see exactly how much you guys can REALLY take.”

Again, that little taboo thrill of having maybe, just possibly, done something right bristled over him, and he looked around for his next move with renewed enthusiasm.

Following Shugaro’s instruction he focused on the spider 4ranged foe, darting out from his flaming cover to aim an attack.
”C’mon you got this.” he reassured himself. It was no different from using the scroll. This was why he had the damned magic afterall, wasn’t it?

Trying not to think about it too much he focused on the metallic monstrocity and summoned the words from his memory. The arcane spell felt like a hundred, tiny, insectoid legs clambering out over his lips, but he felt the power surge, collecting at his chest and channeling down into the palms of his hands until it was ready to fire. The force of it almost pushed him back, but he just about managed to hold his footing as the spell blasted towards the enemy.


 


OOCCombat round 3 (2nd line)
Movement- Moving to J5(15ft)
Action- casting Eldritch Blast at spider 4
Dice to hit:
1d20+5 (10)+5 Total = 15
(15) to hit,
Dice damage:
1d10 3
(3)force damage
Movement- moving to I4 (10ft)

__________________
My bones are lazy, but my soul's on fire.
Agetha - Philamine - Ches - Daigen

Last edited by Wishkamon; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 10:26 AM.
  #13  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 02:46 PM
Strange2099's Avatar
Strange2099 Strange2099 is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 5205
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Posts: 2,388
Sebastian ~ Tiefling Shadow Sorcerer
left-aligned image


In games of “cat and mouse”, Sebastian had always likened himself as the Cat, never the Mouse. This training exercise, while similar, was starting to turn those conventions on their head! Not quite “cat and mouse”, the new dynamic of “Spider and Tiefling” left Sebastian wondering who was the predator in this relationship, and who was the prey?

Sebastian’s thoughts drifted to his mother, and the wise teachings that she’d often impart on him. "Even the strongest man falls asleep, eventually," she’d tell him. "Then, my dear, we have them exactly where we want them!" Sebastian was never really quite sure about precisely what she meant, when she told him these things. But he knew that his Momma intended for him to be the predator, in these kind of situations, not the prey! I’m pretty sure that’s what Brom is expecting, too! he thought to himself.

With his renewed mindset, Sebastian started to enjoy the game as he settled into his groove. His tail swayed semi-aggressively back and forth as he eyed the many targets crawling all over the arena. Of course, there was still plenty of danger to be had, both to avoid but also to dish out! Heeding the "Keep an eye on where that flame goes, yeah? If this is what I think it is, one little accident will have either Kelsey, or I go up in an instant!words of caution regarding his fire spells advised by the dwarf-turned-giant, Sebastian commented in reply, "Oh? Well, we wouldn’t want that, now, would we?" Sebastian then laughed playfully, and added: "But don’t worry, bigger brother! If something like that happens, I can put the fire out! (Oh, and in case you didn’t know, my other ‘brother’ Kelsey - he’s already dead!)"

Shugaro then further planted I don't know if these spiders have any more of that disgusting stuff, but if they do, maybe you can fire your flames directly into the gob of one of the creatures and... Ka-BOOM! No more spider..."the sparks of incendiary ideas in Sebastian's head. The young Tiefling couldn’t help but to oblige with a smile in his reply.
"That would be pretty sweet, wouldn’t it? But, I’m not sure it’s working too well..."
Before Sebastian could finish his sentence, his eyes went wide when the ten-foot tall Dwarf suddenly lit up like the spider, which he’d just tried to melt.

"Hey, bigger brother, just holler if that starts getting too warm for you," he offered. "I can turn down the heat, if you want. Just let me know!"

The pace of the action quickened. Shugaro stepped away and one of the Spiders stepped closer. Sebastian eyed Spider 3the contraption edging closer towards him as he called out to his companion. "Uhmm, Mt. Faraday? Maybe you could ... Mr. Faraday?? Mr. Fara-... Okaayyy."

Seeing John appearing to laugh at ... well, Sebastian wasn’t quite sure what John was laughing at, but he realized that he needed to start talking to someone that made sense. Shugaro’s "Focus on ranged versus ranged! Kelsey and I can handle the melee, but we are going to struggle a little more against that one over in the corner. It may be trapped, but it hardly seems to mind. I don't want to find out what other tricks that little guy has over there..."suggestion to focus on the ranged attackers was exactly that: Sensical! Although a new entrant to the battlefield caught his attention...especially as the new entrant seemed to be standing in the middle of what appeared to be an oil slick...a flammable oil slick...! Sebastian’s head filled again with incendiary ideas...

But Sebastian discarded his wild idea of igniting the oil slick. That Spider’s way over there, but this other one is much closer, and more dangerous! he thought.

Focus! thought the young Tiefling to himself, as he ignored the new target and closed in on the closer one with cat-like focus.

Following John’s lead, Sebastian stepped out from behind the dwarf-turned-giant and sighted the southern-most Spider. He once again manipulated the air in front of him while speaking a dark riddle. His final gesture resulted in a jet of flame lashing out towards the Spider, but it was too far and the heat was too weak to do any damage as the flames simply washed over it, leaving it unscathed.

"Gee, Mr. Ethan," Sebastian called out loudly to the upper balcony of the arena. "That sure was nice of you to give us more of your little play toys. Keep ‘em coming! But, maybe the next ones you give us can be a little less acclimated to the heat?"

Sebastian then retreated a few steps, to further shield himself behind the dwarf-turned-giant.

OOC
Holding: Healing Potion

Action BlockMovement = down 15’ to K4.
Action = Cast Cantip: Firebolt
Dice Attack:
d20+5sch15 (9)+5 Total = 14
(14) at Spider 4 for
Dice Firebolt damage:
d10 5
(5).
Movement = back 15’ to I3.
Bonus Action = N/A.
Reaction = Only IF triggered: Cast Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell. Range: Self. Components: V, S. Duration: 1 round. An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.Shield (Level 1 spell).

 

__________________
Forest Acolyte, Plant GuardianDesert ScorpionFoxy Trickster
Cold-blooded AssassinBereaved Widow, Eternal Believer✓Delusional Dreamer✓
Fallen Angel (Child Oracle)Red Dead Redemption???

Last edited by Strange2099; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Missed! :(
  #14  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 05:09 PM
pianoman90's Avatar
pianoman90 pianoman90 is offline
Playin' Dungas and Dragos
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19401
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Posts: 7,764
Combat begins
left-aligned image
Shugaro gasped in pain as the flames enveloped him. His worst nightmare had been realised as the mechanical arachnid had shot off a lucky spark directly onto the oil-soaked clothing. Yet there was nothing to be done about it now, he couldn't waste the time to put out his own fire, when there were so many metaphorical spot-fires to deal with. Though it burned and sizzled, Shugaro knew he could ignore the problem for now. And who's to say that it won't help if I smothered one of these wretched things?

John was laughing, a sound that Shugaro could have thought was incredibly insensitive, but something about John's glee disarmed the flaming dwarf. Chuckling despite himself and oblivious to John's ongoing turmoil, he surveyed the arena quickly. His joy at flattening one of the contraptions was proving to be short-lived, as another spider materialized in an instant. Deep down, Shugaro knew this would happen, Sir Ethan indicated as much, but the speed at which the spider was replaced gave Shugaro pause. Kelsey was still struggling with his spider and Shugaro's pair of critters were proving real nuisances. Adding yet another one into the mix might overwhelm their front line and burst through onto the casters in the back, especially if their resources were depleted. The oil slick underneath the spider was promising, but he saw that Sebastian and John had made their moves, choosing to fire on the target Shugaro had indicated earlier. While that had made sense in the moment, the fiery explosion from igniting that oil slick at the back would have been spectacular indeed. Shugaro shook his head, ridding the unhelpful thought as quickly as it had come. No point crying over spilt milk now. Time to change the game again!

"Looks like they were serious when they wanted us to keep fighting without respite the entire time! Kelsey-how goes that critter in front of you? Keep out of the way of that spark, yes?"

"John and Sebastian-good work on that spider up there! But if Sir Ethan wants to keep on flinging down more of these things, lets switch up our tactics. Suppression is better than elimination here-keep the spiders occupied and not threatening us until we control the pace of this fight. Got any magic tricks to make spiders run in circles, get stuck in the mud, or play dead?"

Without dropping a beat, the flaming dwarf turned to his own spider and charged into it, trying to force the mechanical contraption to the ground. His big bulk added extraordinary power to his movement, surging forward and overpowering the spider. In an instant it was on its back, all eight spindly, mechanical legs flailing pointlessly in the air. There was a fierce light in Shugaro's eyes as he saw his success, though that could have easily been his own reflected firelight. Stepping back, he hefted his maul and pointed the bulk of the hammer down to the stricken spider. "Stay there, you hear?" Moving carefully back through the ball bearing mess, he came upon the damaged spiderling that had remained separated since the beginning of the fight. He turned over his shoulder, flames still licking and curling around his body. "And Sebastian-err, little brother? While I am ok for now with this situation with the fire, if you do have the capacity to put it out, I will give you a yell when I need it most. Sound like a plan? Kelsey may have already been dead once, but I don't plan to get anywhere near that stage of un-life just yet."

Shugaro was a little worried about the developing battlefield positions. He had slowed down one spider by pushing it flat on its back, but it was still uncomfortably close to John and Sebastian. Kelsey's spider was well-looked after, but the wide range of abilities the spiders possessed made them difficult to contain. Frowning, he concentrated on the two threats closest to him, watching to keep them occupied by him and not getting any fancy ideas to attack the others.


OOCI wrote my RP as if the shove was successful, but I am not certain whether a nat 20 shove is automatically successful or not. It is a special attack, but it is also a kind of skill check. I believe it is not automatically successful, but I will leave that in your hands Wyn!

Frontline Combatant

Combat Round 3 actions:

Action: Shove attack vs Spider 3 (with advantage due to rage/enlarge) Take the higher out of the following rolls:
Dice Shove attempt 1:
1d20+2 (20)+2 Total = 22
(22)
Dice Shove attempt 2:
1d20+2 (7)+2 Total = 9
(9). Success means the Spider falls prone in its square.
Bonus Action: N/A
Post-attack movement: Move at half speed to H-I 8-9 (10ft movement). Currently threatening Spider 3 and Spider 4.
 

 
__________________

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Settling into a work pattern. Mid-week is busy, close to weekends, clear for posting

Last edited by pianoman90; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 05:40 PM.
  #15  
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 09:43 PM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 9549
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 3,006
Kelsey
right-aligned image
Kelsey was flailing. The battle was going well, but the most he'd been able to do was assist in holding off a couple of the spiders from a direct advance. Not nothing, but at least he was unscathed so far, and still able to do his part.

Things were heating up closer to Shaguro's side of the arena, though. Quite literally. The massive dwarf had caught alight. It didn't surprise Kelsey that the slick he was coated in was flammable, but he had decided it wasn't worth sparing the time to wipe it off himself.

He still had this one spider corralled, but it would still take time to trash it, even if he starting landing decisive blows. But the spider close to Sebastian and John was clearly damaged. Perhaps it could be put out of commission before it had -

Shaguro apparently had the same idea. The massive dwarf put all his weight into shoving that spider away. Maybe Kelsey could put his own effort into finishing the thing off. He aimed his handaxe for that one, ready to throw it into the damned thing's gears if necessary - he had a little practise throwing weapons across ship decks - and kept thrusting at his current foe with his sword. He stated to feel surrounded, boxed in. His head swam. Not today. This won't get the best of me. Not today.

But he wasn't used to attacking foes with so much damned metal. That would weigh you down on a ship deck; better to be lighter and more nimble. And, generally, fleshier, which was much better when you were trying to stick someone with a cutlass. He kept scraping his sword off the hard carapace of the spider he was supposed to be keeping in place. Part of him was already slipping into terrified despair. "Just light me on fire already, you little monster!" he growled. "Go ahead! Send me back! At least I know there's something waiting for me! What will you have? Nothing!"

Kelsey stood his ground, already tiring, already close to panic, and covered in flammable oil. He couldn't say this was the kind of battle he expected to end up in, but in terms of the feeling of the moment, he was where he had feared he would be: terrified and struggling to prove himself. He'd have to go home. Find another way to make ends meet. He'd secured a patron, perhaps he could still serve the Crossing Companions in some other way? Make use of his experience in the guilds?

Later. There would be time for that later. He swiped at the spider one last time, made another superficial scratch on the plating, and grit his teeth in frustration.


 


OOCMove: None.
Action: Attack Spider 3. IF SPIDER 3 IS SHOVED INTO KELSEY'S RANGE, then standard melee with handaxe. OTHERWISE, throw handaxe at Spider 3 using same mods. Attack:
Dice Handaxe attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (7)+5 Total = 12
(12) Damage:
Dice Handaxe damage + rage:
1d6+5 (2)+5 Total = 7
(7)
Bonus Action: Extra attack under two-weapon rules. IF SPIDER 3 IS SHOVED INTO KELSEY'S RANGE AND IS STILL ACTIVE, Attack spider 3. OTHERWISE, attack Spider 1. Attack:
Dice Scimitar attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (5)+5 Total = 10
(10) Damage:
Dice Scimitar damage, no Str but rage:
1d6+2 (6)+2 Total = 8
(8)
Reactions: Attack of opportunity if applicable with scimitar.
Dice Scimitar attack:
1d20+5sch15cx,20 (6)+5 Total = 11
(11) Damage:
Dice Scimitar damage + rage:
1d6+5 (4)+5 Total = 9
(9)
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands

Last edited by HotsuSama; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 09:59 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB