twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 10:18 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1332
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Chindi
right-aligned image
Surprised that Echo got a head start on him Chindi quickly vanishes and then starts going through the houses on his side. He moves through each house as quickly as he can, yet thoroughly checking each one until he is certain that she does not live there before moving on.

He starts by flying into the living room and if no one is there he checks for family photos then looking to see if there is mail laying about, then moves to the bedrooms and bathrooms, hoping he does not come in on someone in an private moment.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:59 PM
Lost During Shipping

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13347
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Cecilia Farrell
right-aligned image
Echo

If Chindi had seemed surprised by her admission of having started searching without him, it paled in comparison to the surprise she attempted to hide when Titus asked the question of her that he did. Echo had been trying to act cool, stare forward, and make small talk, but at his near-accusation, she slowly turned to look upon him a moment.

Snapping her head back forward, mostly so she could hide some of the concern in her eyes, "No...Not really. Social work. Different thing. I just… I have a lot of experience being around those like us. You end up learning to pick up on things. It becomes so natural for us to hide part of ourselves from the world, just to be accepted into it, that we naturally hide a lot of other things. I've seen the other side of you, and I just wanted to make sure you were good."

Echo turned her head to bring her gaze to his face, "I watch out for those that watch my back." That last sentence was said in such a way as it was clear the idea was something that had long been ingrained into the woman; into how she saw the world. She only gazed upon him a moment before turning her eyes back forward. "Since we are working this together and, clearly, on the same side of this, if you need anything, just say so. I figure between me and whatever 'Mr. Moneybags the Friendly Ghost' has going on, we can handle any obstacle we face."

Old 07-11-2020, 01:00 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8531
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Titus Graves
right-aligned image
"Hm." Titus’s response was reminiscent of a grunt for his reply to Echo’s clarification of her job description. Perhaps ‘social worker’ was a different thing, but was similar in enough ways to warrant caution-- if caution wasn’t already warranted.

Titus removed his gaze from the woman and the conversation fell under a weighty silence. From his jacket pocket he produced a cigarette and stuck it between his lips. Next, he fished a silver plated lighter and lit it. As he drew in a breath the butt-end burned a gentle orange as he considered all the words Echo had said to him.

After pocketing the lighter Titus exhaled a plume of smoke and vapor into the chilled December breeze. One hand still held the now lukewarm coffee. He felt that her words were genuine, if somewhat ineffectual to him.

The barest hint of a deep-chested chuckle escaped. "You have not seen the other side of me, Echo. You’d know it if you saw it."

Titus had a vague understanding what Echo meant by asking if he was ‘good.’ Even if he didn’t figure himself the best at puzzles or gathering subtle hints-- especially from women. But, perhaps he was grasping what she alluded to. Was he about to go off and eat someone's face off? No. Not at the moment, anyway. But, what did ‘good’ mean, specifically? He hadn’t been ‘good’ in a long time, but that was simply the way it had been. He’d accepted that for a while now.

He decided to skip over that part. It didn’t matter one way or the other. Clarifying would only lead to more questions, inevitably, anyway.

As for Echo having his back, it was much more complicated on his end that it was for her. As himself, as long as their goals aligned he took no issue. But he wasn’t always himself. That was a regular problem, as it turned out.

He took a long drag from the cigarette and exhaled through his nose. "I’ll just say this...The bigger the threat, the bigger the response. So, let’s hope this doctor isn’t a huge threat and I’ll be ‘good.’ I’ll have your back within my control to do so. No promises. I don’t do those."

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; 07-11-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15670
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Central SeinefurtBerserker had confirmed what the evidence had strongly suggested: That Carlin was in the area, or at the very least had been up until the very recent past. In fact he had narrowed it down to one residental cul-de-sac.

And it made sense as another hideout - or main place of residence in fact - because it was more or less on the other side of the island, at least ten miles away and separated from Amaheim by UC Central Park. There had been no obvious ties between the two places apart form a receipt that had clearly been overlooked during cleanup, a costly mistake. The bag of coffee corroborated the place, but on its own it wasn't much to go on.

Echo and Chindi were in a prime position to not only scout out the many houses along the road, but to basically drop in on the residents unseen. It wasn't a long street, but to check every individual single-family house, some of which had been converted into two separate apartments on either floor, was a monumental task regardless.

The two witnessed many a private family scene as they went from house to house, most of them mundane and some of them embarassing had they not been invisible to the inhabitants. But no Carlin was in sight after the first five houses on either side.

The sixth house was the same on the first glance. Either Chindi was floating through it, or Echo was projecting into it, but one of them was passing through empty rooms that looked much like any home they'd ever seen. Then one of them peeked into a cupboard next to a metal door somewhere near the back of the house. Inside of the cupboard were two stacks of diagnostic specimen containers made of medical-grade plastic, the large kind for organs. A shelf nearby was full of smaller tubes and pots for similar purposes. All of these were empty, ready to be sterilised and used. Also on one of the shelfs were neatly folded bubble wrap envelopes, the topmost of which had a preprinted address field stuck to them. It read "Almeida Laboratories - Shipping Offices Unity City" and an address in Perlton, near the water of course.

Now some of the heroes might remember the story about the Almeida laboratories, a pharmaceutical company who had faced heavy criticism and daily protests for animal testing and questionable human trials. After prolongued political pressure they had moved their operations onto an abandoned oil rig offshore. About 201 nautical miles away from the island, in fact, international waters.

This array of medical equipment was highly suspicious of course, but there may have been normal reasons for a person to have something like it. The rest of the Hosue had been entirely empty of people, even though it looked lived in, leaving only the steel door to peek through. Behind the door were stairs leading down into a basement, one that lay a lot deeper than any of those in the other houses on the street. From the top of the stairs one could barely see the end of them, another steel door shimmering in the near darkness. It was like a bunker of sorts.

OOCAlright I am a little wiped out from outplay but I finally managed this update. Enjoy.

Last edited by Phettberg; 07-13-2020 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
OOCI am going to go on as if Chindi found the items of interest mainly because his doctor background would help him understand exactly what they were and he would have been following the Almeida Laboratories story.

Chindi
right-aligned image
Chindi is pretty certain they have the right place. And with what he found he is now leaning a lot more towards the Doctor not being a nice person and actually experimenting on people. He decides to bring the others in before heading downstairs into the basement.

He turns solid and then pulls out his phone and calls Echo. He gives her the address he is at. He suggests they just walk up to the door a ring the doorbell, or knock and he will let them in.

Once they are inside he fills them in on what he found and then asks Echo if she would take a look in the basement.

"It will be faster if you do it as you can both search down there and still be up here and telling us what you find. If I do it I have to go down there search around and then come back up to tell you."
Old 07-12-2020, 07:04 PM
Lost During Shipping

Tools
User Statistics
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Cecilia Farrell
right-aligned image
Echo

"Son of a..," Echo muttered before she turned to Titus and reached out to touch his arm to urge him along with her, "C'mon. Chindi beat me by half a second." Moving deeper into the cul-de-sac having walked directly through the center, the two were getting first steps on the narrow, stone walkway up to the door, when the woman pulled her phone from her pocket. "He's gonna call in 3… 2.. 1…"

The phone rang and Echo didn't waste a second swiping to accept the call and answering with a bright, "Hiii!" The smile on her face could be heard clearly in her voice. There are a series of short moments of her listening to Chindi broken up by her quickly responding, "I know. I was right behind you," and, "Sounds like a plan, Stan. See you in a second," respectively. Echo was sliding her phone back into her pocket as she reached out to press the doorbell with a gloved finger, causing the sound of blaring chimes to come muffled through the door...

...Standing in the kitchen, looking at the door, knowing what was on the other side of it, Echo looked up to Chindi at his suggestion and nearly chuckled. "So you had no issue going through all those houses, but Basements... They scare you, eh?" The woman was grinning so big, it caused her eyes to squint. Luckily she only held the look for a moment before the twitch of 'control' caused her features to flatten to their usual emotionless resting state.

As Echo sent her vision to dive into the depths of the basement, she spoke out loud to Chindi and Titus of what she was seeing and sensing.

Last edited by Saratek; 07-13-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:02 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Chindi
right-aligned image
"Nope. But past experience has taught me that going into a place like that alone could be dangerous. Figured I would let my team know where I was and gather before anyone went in there."

He remembers his encounter in The Strangler house where he thought he was undetectable. The Strangler had sensed his magic and trapped him and then knocked him out and captured him. Was dumb luck that allowed him to get out of that mess without dying again.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14994
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors

Riptide certainly wasn't without her talents. She had a way with people despite being one of the more obvious superhumans, knew enough about oceanography and marine biology to qualify as an expert even if the accident that gave her the powers she has prevented her from formally completing her degree, and of course her control over that environment was quite substantial. But sneaking around undetected and investigating suspicious goings-on certainly weren't among her strong points. So while Chindi and Echo do their scouting she's content to sit by the car and see what she can find out with her phone and a Google search, which isn't much, and far less than what they were able to dig up. Though she rides along to the next location she doesn't have much to contribute, tying up a few loose ends of her own while they work. The news about Almeida piques her curiosity though. She had read about it, but had never had any direct involvement in the protests aside from a side comment on one of her videos. But it was hard to deny that they weren't involved somehow. And an abandoned oil rig was the perfect spot to be carrying on any less than ethical experiments.

"So it sounds like this Almeida lab is involved. If there was one place to hide some pretty shady experiments, that old oil rig would be it. I've seen it a few times, total eyesore, but never really got close to it. If you wanna keep pokin' around though, I can go check that out. Sneakin' around houses might not be my thing, but an oil rig in the ocean? That I can do. Maybe get a head start in seein' what all's out there?" she suggests, looking to the others for their opinions.

OOCSo long story short, I had to have some eye surgery that put a big crimp in my posting, and have had some complications from it that have slowed the recovery down. Add to that I may be looking at surgery for a finger and it's been a rough time. I should be back now, vision has picked up enough that I can read more than a paragraph or so without strain setting in. Sorry about the absence.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Central Seinefurt, Carlin Residence BasementChindi, Echo and the others assembled in the house that almost certainly held Doctor Carlin. Berserker could corroborate the suspicion even more by ways of the woman's scent, but the medical equipment in the closet near the basement had been a dead giveaway already.

While Riptide was interested in looking into a certain oil rig it was a journey of 400 miles there and back, so even at breakneck speed would take her out of the action completely. If the heroes assumed that Carlin had thought about security measures to safeguard against meta intrusion then they might very well have asked her to stay.

However with Echo's particular talents reconnaissance was the logical next step. They had to know what they are up against down in that basement.

So she disassociated her senses from her body, letting them slither through the metal door and down the concrete steps, most of which were in total darkness. A lonely lamp was glowing above the bunker-like door at the foot of the stairs, but this provided no obstacle for Echo's sight.

What was beyond proved near blinding, as it was a room brightly lit by fluorescent lamps, clad roof to ceiling in white tile. It was evidently a laboratory, either side of the rectangular room filled with desks heavy laden with various medical equipment. Echo might not have recognised everything, but it was easy enough to make out the microscopes, applicators, centrifuges and so on. In one corner of the room there was a sort of metal box, which appeared to be a shielded chamber with an x-ray machine. Opposite that was another cubical box about 2 meters tall, this one covered in a white sheet and sitting on a sort of plinth, which was tiled white like the rest of the room. There was a half open metal door on the other end of the long room, though from where her senses was floating Echo didn't know where it would lead.

She wasn't alone in this room. There was a woman in a labcoat sitting on one of the microscopes, not immediately recognisable as the Doctor Echo had seen on photographs. However on closer inspection it appeared that Carlin had chopped off all her hair into a close pixie cut, then dyed what was left blonde.

OOCI'll just leave it there so you can give me directions at what you might be looking most closely and what you might want to find.

Full disclosure so we don't lose focus and spiral: Trying to go to the Almeida Laboratories directly right now is a dead-end as far as this particular adventure is concerned. Basically you know now that they receive tissue samples from Carlin, and you can find out if they know about the circumstances they are procured under. But you can most likely do that from here rather than trying to bust into their oil rig. Going there would be a whole other adventure, and one that might require a whole team to boot.

They are obviously a very relevant and interesting faction, but for right now I would strongly encourage all heroes to participate in this scene. It's most likely going to be the last one, as other issues are also winding down and we want to get each of them done at approximately the same time.

Though we have done solo tangents before. If somebody feels like they need to know about the labs right after this issue then that can be an intermission that we play through or technically replace one of the other issues I have planned (it doesn't have to be solo, of course). That sort of initiative is encouraged actually.

Of course you can place your heroes wherever and do what you want to. That's why I left it relatively open where Berserker and Riptide are in the above post. I assumed at least one of them is going to come into the building, but it leaves some wiggle room.

Last edited by Phettberg; 07-24-2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Lost During Shipping

Tools
User Statistics
Cecilia Farrell
right-aligned image
Echo

She'd always found it impossible for others to understand how her brain could process what it was she could do, how she could see. Echo never was the greatest about explaining it either. Besides the initial moment of calm, the woman's eyes had become attentive again as it looked to those standing there with her as Read Aboveshe described what she saw.

At Riptide's offer, though, "Oooh, No. You aren't going anywhere. We just Finally found Carlin, and you want to dip out to check out a sketchy oil rig Alone? No. We need you here, 'cause I have no idea what's beyond that door down there, and being able to quickly fill a seemingly sealed room with water might be a useful trick if things go to s**t." Clearly, Echo was ready to get some real answers.

Looking to the others, "Chindi. It looked clear to Carlin to me, so you should float, or whatever it is you do, down there and open the doors for us. I'll grab and hold her. Once the doors open, I'm thinking we send Berserker through first," she said looking to Titus, "Followed by Rip and then myself. We'll secure Carlin, and I can scout past that door once we're down there and know Carlin's neutralized."

Looking to each and both looking for and giving a nod of acknowledgement, it didn't seem like Echo was giving them much choice. They'd come this far, yet learned so very little about Why this woman had been involved in children going missing. Her vileness had brought them together to stop the bereaved others that looked for answers, and now Echo couldn't help but feel that same desire in herself.

Keeping her vision on Carlin, brought forth her incredible reach to attempt to snatch up the doctor who, seemingly, had no clue what was about to descend upon her.

Looking to Chindi, she nodded and ordered, "Go."

Old 07-20-2020, 05:31 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Chindi
right-aligned image
"I agree. You should stay here for now as we might need your assistance. We don't know if the Dr. has any powers of her own, so we should be cautious."

When gives her plan he nods and agrees. He smiles when she orders him to "Go".

"Since you asked so nicely."

Chindi heads down the stairs in ghost mode and turns on his Spirit Sight just to make sure there is no magic around the door.

Once all clear he floats through the door and using his Spirit Sight he scans the room and finally stops and gets a read on the Dr.

He switches back to normal sight and checks out the door. If it looks like he can quietly open it he will turn one hand solid and open the door slowly. If not then he turns the handle, flips the latch, or whatever to open the door and whips the door open quickly. Once the door is open he will ghost completely again.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:57 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14994
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors

"Oh, you actually found somethin'? Well that's obviously different then, I figured it would be another case of us bein' a step behind her," Riptide answers. Her eagerness to get to the oil rig was in fact because she didn't expect to actually find anything here, though admittedly also because it was out in the water where she felt she could be far more useful. Not that she was useless on dry land, but it's always nice to have home field advantage. "Let's go get her then, once you're done pokin' around that is," she adds as a follow-up, ready to follow Berserker into the place once the all-clear is given.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8531
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Titus Graves
right-aligned image
Over the course of the rabbithole of an investigation, it was clearly gathered that Titus was a rather silent individual. It wasn’t unusual that Titus had little or nothing to say-- however, upon entering the house and the discovery of a lab below in an otherwise quiet cul-de-sac, it had brought the man into an eerie, tense silence.

Titus’s jaw was set as his gaze flicked about the home of Dr. Carlin. His shoulders were rigid and fingers clenched and flexed in a subconscious manner. The telling sign of heightened stress showed as a throbbing heartbeat in his neck. The vein pulsed with the rush of blood in Titus’s ears.

Basements. Why were secret laboratories always in basements? Tight spaces below the suffocating earth. Windowless, more than likely. Titus could practically smell that putrid clean, sterilized tang that saturated the air. Memories stabbed from the back of his mind and pierced his conscious in an unwelcomed, horrifying montage. A burn followed. It started out as a prickle before it washed his spine in angry tongues of fire.

They both remembered. The pain. Fear. Confusion. Anger. All of it. The estate was a nightmare. The only thing they could both agree on.

Berserker stood at the top of the stairs, motionless, even after Echo had laid out her plan. He looked more like a statue than someone alive as he stared down at the steps that lead below. Echo had only joked to Chindi about being scared of basements. While Titus hadn’t interjected the fact remained, he was terrified of them.

Titus closed his eyes and pulled in a deep, quiet breath. He rubbed either side his forehead with one hand as a low whine started in his ears. Chindi had already been down there for a few moments, at least he assumed as soon as the man turned invisible. After another short moment, Titus dropped his hand away from his head. The parasite sent pangs behind his eyes.

Without looking at either Riptide or Echo, he said, "If anything goes wrong, you all should get out of there." He said nothing else as he stepped down and toward the laboratory where Dr. Carlin and Chindi awaited.

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; 07-21-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:09 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Central Seinefurt, Carlin Residence BasementThe metal door into the laboratory had a large latch that kept it closed from the inside, something that Chindi could lift to let the others into the room. It would probably not be quiet, even if the hinges were well oiled, so the ghost had to coordinate with Echo. The other two had time to descend the narrow staircase at least to the halfway point. With how solid the entrance to the basement looked as compared to the normal doors above ground sound wasn't so much of a concern there.

The crucial part was disabling Carlin quickly and effectively. Echo had enough time to study the woman using her disembodied senses, planning out the grab in her head as she watched the woman scribble on a notepad from behind.

When unseen powers wrapped around the unethical doctor she gave a little gasp, kicking the office chair away from under her as she was lifted into the air. Her hands balled into fists and she became more vocal in her struggle as the squeeze came on harder. But she was ultimately just a human, her efforts futile against strength so far beyond the normal spectrum. Within five seconds she was pinned in the middle of the room, floating in the air with her feet pressed together and her arms glued to her sides. Her left hand was still balled into a fist.

"Who's there," she ejected in a screeching shout, her eyes darting about the room that seemed entirely empty.

For a second Chindi became visible, at the very least his hand, as he opened the door for Riptide and Berserker. When the two entered the room Carlins face flushed with blood, her nose and brow wrinkling as her face twisted into a grimace of shock and hate.

"I've triggered a bomb you god-damned circus freaks," Carlin screamed, bolder. "I let go, the thing goes off and the cages are electrocuted!"

OOCGood old Mexican standoff! So to answer a question that will probably pop up: Neither Echo nor Chindi think they saw any sort of trigger in or near her hand when they searched the room and had a look at her. However, they did not necessarily look for anything of the sort, it is probably an inherently small item or might have been hidden. Could have been a slideout thing like a mini revolver in the sleeve, or since technology can be somewhat fantastical in the superhero context it may even be implanted underneath the skin.

Well, or it could be a fabrication! So you will all most likely want to roll for insight and perception again.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:36 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Chindi
right-aligned image
Chindi watches as the woman struggles. After her claim to a bomb he is a little worried that they screwed this one up. He goes completely invisible again.

"He whispers to Echo. Keep her busy. I'll go check to see if there are cages beyond that other doors."

With that he zooms off through the door to see what is there. If there are cages he will check them out quickly.

Last edited by Draidden; 07-24-2020 at 06:42 AM.
Closed Thread