Game Thread Far and Wide - Page 24 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #346  
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 10th, 2021
RPXP: 2015
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 934
Jol sees Mattias watching him, and unconsciously his hand moves to the scarf tied around his neck. It is a nervous reaction that he almost never notices. Were Jol to play cards for money, it would mean financial ruin. Fortunately for Jol, the Grey Friars live in a semi-permanent state of financial ruin anyway, and it also so happens that the Franciscan Order disapproves of gambling.

Of course Jol knows of the corruption that afflicts the Church. How could he not? But to acknowledge it, to speak of it out loud as Mattias is doing, that is a hard thing for him to do. Jol, rightly or wrongly, does his best to put such dark thoughts from his mind whenever they threaten to intrude. Such things are not for a lowly friar such as Jol to contemplate, he tells himself.

"I have...heard of this" he says slowly. "Some are led astray. Those who study arcane matters can find themselves at risk. And it is said that a few in the martial orders, the Knights Templar in particular, may have fallen from the path of Orion. I have heard whispers of a new fighting order named the Black Templars, and I do not like what I hear."

Jol, visibly uncomfortable now, says no more on that subject. He has already said too much. He is relieved when Mattias moves the conversation on to Pat and Saya.

"We never really had the chance to tell them" he says. "Things happened so quickly. But I agree. Let us find them later and discuss this with them. And I take no disrepect, Brother. Your words are wise, as always. I do not doubt that I have spent too much time in the cloisters. In truth, most of the time I wish I was back at the Abbey. Life was simple. But I have a task to do, and I shall fulfil it."

He glances into the front room, where Soskia is poring over one of the scrolls.

"There is another matter I must discuss. Soskia is a sorceress. But she is untrained, unable to fully control her power. Somewhat like Saya, but...not quite the same, I think."

Jol does not elaborate, but Mattias can no doubt figure out what Jol means. Jol believes that Saya has control over her magic, choosing when to unleash it, but her emotions are a powerful influence on when that happens. Soskia's sorcery is not under her control. It will consume her unless she can learn to wield it, he is sure of it.

"I do not think she even fully realises what she is. I believe that unless she learns to control it, it will drive her mad. She needs a teacher, a mentor, but I do not know how we might find one. And of course, the Church does not condone such arcane practice. But we cannot stand by and do nothing. Do you have any advice? I remember you spoke before of the Red Witch, for example. Could she be found? And if so, do you think she might be willing to help Soskia?"
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 01:30 AM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
Pisseur de copie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19687
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 7,530
Tambovsky, human fighter
right-aligned image

"That was noble, my lady," Tambovsky says riding closer to Lady Danicea. "It would have been a mighty battle—and it still might be—but it would have delayed us from our mission and possibly left our friends in the chancellery with fewer swords to protect them."

As the horses turn together, Tambovsky quickly jumps off his, grabs a hobgoblin shield that he spotted on the ground, and remounts. He has only a second to examine the shield as he places it over his body and on his back. Sturdy, but nothing fancy. Best of all—blank. The empty metallic field represented exactly who he was fighting for at the moment—nobody.

"What do you say, My Lady, these Welsh are superb riders and their horses are the best I have seen ... but maybe if we get the jump on them we just might hold even with them in a race to the hill top. Shall we?" he asks with a smile, already knowing her answer as he digs in his heels and spurs his horse into a full run.




 
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 11:10 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13898
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,458
Over the Hills...
right-aligned image
Owain looked back at Lady Danicea and Tambovsky with his usual smile "Don't worry if it's still there when we return we likely will fight the creature. I'd wager it has claimed this area as it's territory and won't suffer our trespass twice." The barbarian eyed the arms and armor strewn about the carnage of last night's battle.

When the Lady asked what Purat's men were doing out here Owain laughed and said "Probably hiding from Sherrock and myself, these were most likely the men we've been tracking. It's a shame we weren't here when the white snakes found them." He leaned over and spat on one of the dead orcs. "I would've loved to ride into the middle of that fight." he sighed and leaned off the side of Timber to reach out and take a spear out of the blood-soaked ground.

That was when Tambovskty seized his opportunity and charged ahead. Owain laughed out loud and looked over to Sherrock "I knew I liked this one, let's give him a chance. One. Two. Haa!" One shout, a quick kick, and the stallion raised up on his hind legs and neighed. Timber exploded into a full gallop, he'd been just itching to run and went all out. Owain relished the feeling of the wind whipping by and the sound of hooves pounding the turf. The rhythm of the ashenport warmblood surging forward took him back across the waters and time, back home to his childhood racing over hills with his sister and their friends.

 
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel

Last edited by AnotherDragoon; Jul 30th, 2020 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 08:53 PM
swangrace swangrace is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 9th, 2021
RPXP: 529
swangrace swangrace swangrace swangrace swangrace swangrace
Posts: 197
Lyrei Faera
right-aligned image

Lyrei ignores his questions, wrinkling her brow slightly at the dwarf’s words. She casually glances around the area once more before addressing Thugnarst. “I’m sorry to hear about your… Bessie. Do you want me to say a few words for her? Come, let’s head inside if you are finished here. And then I must tend to the dead. We found a body in the well out front. A friend of yours?”

She starts walking to the Inn, expecting Thugnarst to follow. On her way she motions Brossard back over and whispers softly to him. “Go warn Dupre and the others to be on their guards. Orcs, hobgblins, and trolls are about these parts if this dwarf is to be trusted. Would be best not to wander off.”

__________________
MIA due to teaching in Covid times :(
Maybe I'll be back one day...
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 10:41 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3069
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,674
ChancelleryMattias' face takes a grim cast as Jol tells him about Soskia,I don't know if the Red Witch can be reached, that is if she still even lives. If I can reach her, I know she will help. For now, I think you should talk to Soskia about her 'condition' or I don't know what to call it really. Since she trusts you and Tambovksy the most, I would wait until he returns, tell him, and then approach her. She is already terrified someone will call her a witch and burn her, so be careful how you word things. She is not a 'witch,' not in the broomstick dancing with demons beneath the moon kind of tradition, but her fears are justified. We both know many an ignorant priest would condemn her as a witch for what she can do. She seems a good and decent soul though, someone definitely worth saving. You are the man for it Father Jol, of that I have faith.Mattias pats Jol on the shoulder in a most brotherly and affectionate manner as he nods his head.
Mattias is still patting Jol's shoulder when Jol sees Soskia watching them, her keen eyes taking it all in, missing nothing. Soskia's eyes, the way she looks, the focus in her gaze, is uncomfortable at times, like now. She notices Jol looking at her and she glances back to her work, acting like she had seen nothing at all.


LyreiThugnarst gives no indication that he is bothered by Lyrei not answering his questions. He looks up and smiles at her, a beautiful, goofy, crooked smile from his broken face when she mentions 'Bessie.' You would, you would say a prayer for her, a prayer for my Bessie? How, how, I don't,...he stops talking for a moment, swishing his tongue around his mouth for a moment before saying,I would be most grateful. That is a fine kindness you would do for her. Thank you is too small a word for how much I would appreciate that. Thugnarst wipes his face with his sleeve and follows Lyrei around the Inn. She whispers to Brossard just before that and he silently heads that way, nonchalantly looking around.
When they get to the front of the Inn, Ense and Moul are covered in dark green muck and look rather white in the face. They see her and smile and look away. Eppie is standing near them, examining part of a red shirt with thick gold stitching. Eppie sees them and points to where they can see three bodies laid out on the ground. Danse is examining them as Henk cleans them. Auke is sitting on the porch eating a pickle. Thugnarst sucks in a breath before answering Lyrei's next question, No, I didn't know them. They were couriers of some kind, more a part of your society than mine Dr. Lyrei. They were in a hurry when the orcs caught them. They had ridden their horses to death and tried to outrun the orcs on foot. I wanted them to stay with me, but they wouldn't listen, they just had to go. Urgent business for Karl, the Prince bishop they said. Who am I to argue with such important men?


The RidersTambovsky dismounts, much to Lady Danicea's shock. He then grabs a hobgoblin shield. He notices her blushing, as does Owain. He had just been boasting about riding into the White Snakes. That definitely caught the lady's attention. She looks away from Owain, still blushing and her whole face curls into a smile at Tambovsky's suggestion. He has barely mounted when she kicks her horse and lets out a hawk like scream.
Sherrock looks up, thinking she had been attacked. Owain had just picked up a good ash spear, viking made, not hobgoblin. He can see the norse runes running along the shaft. Owain is looking at the runes when Lady Danicea screams out, her horse lunging forward, followed quickly by Tambovsky.
Owain doesn't need to kick Timber, the big horse was already itching for the chase. Owain's breath catches as Timber leaps first, then digs hard, his head lowered, his hooves kicking dirt and muck and road stones into the air, as he races not to catch, but pass Lady Danicea and Tambovksy. Sherrock purposely lags behind, pulling and stringing his bow as he rides behind them. He is not trying to catch up, just trying to stay close.
They are quarter way up the hill when Owain and Timber pass Tambovsky, who was not able to catch Lady Danicea. He can hear her laughing though. She has taken off her helm and her long hair dark hair is flying like a banner in the wind as she rides full out, head down against the horses neck. Tambovsky's horse struggles with the rough road, it's nostrils blowing as it pulls in air. Timber and Owain roar past him, striving to catch Lady Danicea. Owain just catches her when they see a covered bridge before them. Owain sees the white and green foam of mountain water, rising high in the spring run-off. There are bodies on the bridge. Orc and hobgoblin and men, all naked now, stripped and looted. What catches their attention is the hanged man, slowly twisting from a bridge beam, a spear thrown through his heart.

Last edited by Rasgorn; Aug 8th, 2020 at 02:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 11:04 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13898
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,458
The hanged man
right-aligned image
Owain was laughing heartily as Timber raced past Tambovsky and after Lady Danicea who was laughing as well. This is a life worth living! A good horse pounding at the ground, wind rushing through his hair, and chasing after a strong woman. All the makings of a fine song! He was thoroughly enjoying himself this morning.

Her flowing black hair was waving to him, beckoning him closer. He could almost reach out and touch her when he saw the bridge. Rather, he saw what was piled on it, sheltered from the sun under its wooden roof. The thing that caught his eye, however, was the man hanging from it like some grim signpost. A spear jutted out from the dead man's chest like an accusatory finger pointing out at the killers.

"Whoa!" Owain pulled the reigns the keep Timber from charging in and over the dead. The warmblood neighed his protest but slowed, eventually coming to a stop at the bridge. He danced in circles and stomped in the dirt voicing his displeasure at the sudden stop to his fun.

The barbarian rubbed his mount's neck and whispered some reassuring words before he dismounted to get a look at the hanged man. "One of the Lions?" he asked of Lady Danicea as he cut the rope. The body fell down to the wooden boards like a sack of flour as Owain search: 17looked over the dead for any signs of what happened. "Whoever did this was trying to leave a message. That man was on display, but for who I wonder?"
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 11:58 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
Pisseur de copie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19687
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 7,530
Tambovsky, human fighter
right-aligned image


"Now you might think that this is a race," Tambovsky yells out from his distant spot in the rear, "and, I admit, I made that same error in reasoning myself. But my horse, you see, spent much time with the friars back in the stables, and it seems they have indoctrinated him into a holier way of life. Today, did you not know is a Saint's Day Honoring the Slow-Footed Hoofs, and then there are of course ablutions to perform, which my virtuous steed did, so while it might seem ..." and with that, Tambovsky stops short as he finally catches up with Owain and Lady Danicea and realizes what they are inspecting.

Oh, he says to himself as he quickly dismounts and moves to cover Owain who is standing over the man and inspecting him. The day had begun with numerous, chilling surprises, but he would do his best to prevent an ambush from becoming the next one ... Perception roll = Nat1unfortunately at the moment his foot stepped onto the exposed entrails of the man and Tambovsky fell flat on his back ... at least allowing him to inspect the roof of the bridge for enemies.

I deserve this, thought Tambovsky. I shouldn't have ridiculed the friars.




 
__________________

Last edited by bananabadger; Aug 6th, 2020 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 07:39 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 10th, 2021
RPXP: 2015
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 934
Jol
Jol considers Mattias' words thoughtfully, then nods.

"As you say, Brother. I will discuss it with Tambovsky, when he returns. Leave it with me."

The Church of the West's teachings on matters arcane are not at all clear to Jol. On the one hand, sorcery is declaimed by many as a heresy, with those who practise it to be cast out. Jol has heard many a story of a witch drowned, a wizard burned at the direction of the priesthood. But none of the scriptures Jol has read call for such measures. And the Church itself has priestly orders that study the arcane, practised wizards at the beck and call of the clergy. Which to Jol seems a little hypocritical.

Sorcery can be turned to evil, no doubt, and those who practise it can be corrupted and consumed by it, if they are not careful. But the same can be said of gold, and the Church certainly does not condemn wealth. The opulence of the cathedrals in cities such as Ravenna, Liege and Ghent attest to that. It is a conundrum, and one of the reasons that Jol is glad to be a Grey Friar, a member of an order than embraces poverty. One less temptation in the world to worry about.

Glancing at Soskia, Jol catches her intense look. As a wizard of sorts, perhaps she can read his mind. If so, he hopes she will discover that he is on her side, whatever some in the Church might have to say about that. For now, he leaves Soskia to her work, and heads off to find another sorcerer. It is time to talk to Saya and Pat. Jol makes his way to the room in which he last saw them, knocking gently on the door to let them know he is outside.

Last edited by Gibbon; Aug 8th, 2020 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 07:13 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3069
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,674
OOC-Since Swangrace dropped out, I had to make some changes to the storyline. Hope you guys don't mind.3

IC-
The RidersOwain slowed Timber then had to work the horse to settle him down enough to dismount. Timber was full of it, stamping and snapping his teeth, a horse hungry for battle. The coppery scent of blood, mixed with entrails and something else, something that made his hair stand on end. "Witchcraft," went through his mind. Owain could feel the magic around the hanging man, the spear, the rope. This was a ritual killing, a sacrifice. This man was given to gain something, power, insight, Owain didn't know enough to understand, but the magic of the ritual, Norse Magic, still remained.
Lady Danicea slowed her mount, having a much easier time than Owain did with Timber. The big horse was still stamping and rocking his head up and down. Lady Danicea didn't dismount. She drew her sword, lowered her visor, and rode slowly across the bridge, looking around for any remaining foes. She poked a few of the corpses as she passed them, making sure they were dead. Without their uniforms, it is hard to tell, but I doubt they are Flemish or peasant militia. Their bodies are too white and well fed for peasants and the style of their beards is more Norman than anything else,she says in reply to Owain's question.This looks like the "Black Hags" work, but I don't really know. I have never seen it before, only heard the stories of this Hag or Black Annis, no one knows for certain. She travels the forests hunting Knight's Templar and other clergy. It is said those who fight bravely are hung like this and sacrificed to the Hag's foul gods, others, are bound and buried alive in peat marshes.
Tambovsky rides up, to hear Lady Danicea tell of the Hag/Black Annis. She is now at the far end of the bridge, looking up the hill. Tambovsky dismounts and rushes over to Owain and the man he has just cut down. Tambovsky has seen this before. It was a ceremony the Kievan Rus(Vikings)practiced on those they had defeated. Lady Danicea was right, they only sacrificed those with skill and courage, to honor their gods. The Rus, as Tambovsky knew, only sacrificed the best of things, horses, dogs, foes, to honor their gods. Sometimes they even sacrificed themselves in such way. All these thoughts are running through his head as he moves to protect Owain. That is when he slips. He waves his arms to regain his balance to no avail and ends up falling flat on his back into the blood and muck and corpses piled on the bridge.
Owain was looking at Danicea and listening to her when Tambovsky came up. Sherrock was twenty feet behind Tambovksy with his bow strung and nocked. Timber was still stamping his feet and snapped at Sherrock for coming to close. Owain reaches out to help Tambovsky up when his eyes catch a slight movement in the rafters of the bridge. Owain looks up and focuses on the movement that slowly becomes a goblin, hiding with a curved sword already out. Then Owain sees another and another and another, all hiding in the shadows of the rafters, all waiting to leap down upon them!


ChancelleryAs you will,says Mattias to Jol. Mattias then leaves, heading for the infirmary to check on Sylana. Jol is thinking about the Church's policy on sorcery when he remembers reading an argument from Vinmir the Silent, a famous member of his own order. Vinmir cautioned against mistaking intent for talent and that not all who could practice 'witchcraft' would practice it. Vinmir also cautioned, in the same writing about confusing the teachings of the Saints, with the desires of men and that even the Cardinals and the Holy Father himself, are fallible. If they were perfect, what need of we of Saints? He had written. Needless to say, Vinmir was excommunicated for several years. Years he spent wandering the countryside healing and helping whoever needed it, seemingly oblivious to the Holy Fathers decree.
Jol knocks on the door and Pat slowly opens it, his finger over his mouth, motioning Jol to silence. Pat whispers,Soskia is sleeping. I think it best to let her rest. It has been, difficult for her, traveling with so many. Saya is not used to people, particularly kind people like yourselves. It confuses her. Pat steps outside and offers Jol a slice of sausage, It is okay, the sausage is not tainted. Saya found these two little furry creatures that can detect poison. This sausage is okay, and, it quite tasty. Jol can smell the sausage and the wine that Pat has been drinking. The halfling doesn't sway like a drunk, but Jol suspects Pat has already imbibed more than his share this morning.

Last edited by Rasgorn; Aug 9th, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 10:46 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13898
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,458
Bodies on the bridge
right-aligned image
Owain noticed a strange feeling on the bridge, particularly near the hanged man. The air was more chilled and there was a sort of quiet energy like just before a storm. Magic, and not the stop your bleeding or cure your sickness type either. Something nasty happened here.

Lady Danicea was riding across and offering her insights. Possibly Normans killed by the 'Black Hags'. Owain had never heard of this sect but they sound as bad as the White Snakes. Maybe Sherrock has heard of these hags? He heard Tambovsky approach and then slip on the gore-covered planks and land with a wet thud.

Owain turned to help the warrior up when he thought he saw something move. Up in the rafters, another shadow. The barbarian squinted his eyes and looked up into the roof of the bridge and there they were. Goblins. At least four of the foul little creatures were waiting to ambush them as they crossed. He felt his blood heating up and his pulse quickening in the anticipation of battle.

Owain reached down to help Tambovsky onto his feet and motioned with his head and eyes up to the rafters. He turned towards Lady Danicea and shouted "Goblins! In the rafters! Have at me you little buggers!" Without pause he If 14 will hit it does 8 damagethrew the ash spear with the viking runes up at one of the goblins hiding in the rafters. Looks like the Lady will get her fight after all.

 

 
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 11:02 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
Pisseur de copie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19687
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 7,530
Tambovsky, human fighter
right-aligned image


Tambovsky takes Owain's hand and leaps to his feet—this time making sure not to place them directly atop entrails. Unable to get in a solid attack, he chooses instead to form a Uses "protection" as a reaction to any attack on Owain--imposes a disadvantage to any goblin attacking Owain this rounddefensive stance around Owain so that the Welshman can continue to cause a rain of wounded goblins from the rafters.




 
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 12:30 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3069
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,674
Owain is staring at the goblins, when two of them move with surprising quickness. At that movement, Owain reaches down to help Tambovsky, shouts and throws his spear almost faster than Tambovsky can follow. Owain's spear moans as it flows through the air, then impales the fastest of the goblins against the wall. The small fiend wriggles for but a moment, then hangs still, his small feet flapping in the morning breeze. Before Owain hurled his spear though, the goblin threw a dart. The dart hits Owain in the neck, just below his chin, barely missing the main artery in his neck. The second quick moving goblin throws a hand axe at Tambovsky that clangs off his helm. Truth be told, Tambovsky barely felt the blow. Tambovsky gets to his feet and using his shield, blocks a javelin meant for Owain's head and then two more darts, all thrown at the Barbarian.
The little fiends seem particularly angry with Owain. They can now see seven of the little things crawling in the rafters, moving to get behind and to the side of the two men. The goblins are hooting and screeching and pissing at them, while hurling darts and sharp rocks down on them. They hear Danicea yell out. Two other goblins jumped on her. She cleanly skewered one with her sword and flung him to the road. The other goblin is climbing on her head, trying to stab through the armor at the back of her neck. They can see she is bleeding from the cheek. Two other goblins have come up from under the bridge and are now trying to hamstring her horse.
On the other side of the bridge, Sherrock has ridden close, stopped his horse and shot two goblins coming up from under this side of the bridge. Timber has kicked one goblin to death and bit deeply into the shoulder of another, lifted him into the air and is now bashing him against a bridge post.

OOC-There is a swarm of goblins here. Owain took 4 points of damage to the neck and killed one goblin. The other seven goblins are trying to surround them. There are goblins coming up on both sides of the bridge, at least five on each side, hard to count the rest. Next Round
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 10th, 2021
RPXP: 2015
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 934
Jol
Jol takes the offered slice of sausage and nods his thanks, moving away from the doorway so that he does not have to whisper.

"We all needed some rest, I think. It has been a whirlwind since we met you. The trouble at the tavern, rescuing Lady Danicea, the flight here, and now this town...we have not had a moment to stop. Pat, there is something we friars have been meaning to discuss with you and Saya, but until now the chance has not arisen. We were tasked by Bishop Aggelson to aid you both if we met you. We know that you are carrying messages for Lady Tailtu at Manse, and we have been instructed to aid you in any way we can to ensure those messages are delivered. It might be that the best way we can aid you is to leave you to travel alone, of course" - Jol suspects that would be Saya's view - "...and if that is so, then we will make sure you have provisions and try to provide anything else that you might need. We are travelling there anyway, and thence to St Marin's, so if you decide to travel alone we can perhaps provide a distraction on the road while you make your way there by other means. Or perhaps there is better safety in numbers. It is your decision, and we are here to assist. I am sorry we have not had a chance to speak of this before now."

Jol takes a bite of the sausage, chewing it slowly while he waits for Pat to think it over. It is good, this sausage. A glass of wine would go well with it. Clearly Pat thought the same. But Jol decides against asking the halfling where he got the bottle, and more importantly if there is any of its contents left. It's only just past breakfast, and there is work to be done.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 06:17 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
Pisseur de copie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 19687
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 7,530
Tambovsky, human fighter
right-aligned image


"Around Sherrock! Gather around Sherrock!" shouts Tambovksy as he keeps his shield up to protect Owain and moves steadily toward Sherrock at the entrance of the bridge. "Lady Danicea! Ride to us! Quickly! They are on you!"

Forming a band around Sherrock would not even out the numbers, but it would force the goblins to face a circle of fighters, perhaps all mounted, rather than picking them off one by one under the rafters of the bridge.



 
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 10:33 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2021
RPXP: 13898
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,458
Goblins and gore
right-aligned image
Owain barely felt the sting of the dart that bit into his neck. Something warm and wet was dripping onto his chest but there was also something rising. That old familiar rage, his heart hammered as goblins poured out onto the bridge. His blood felt like it was boiling in his veins as everything began to turn red. Damned goblins, I was so focused on the dead I didn't even notice them.

"Even in numbers they are but weaklings!" Owain drew his longsword and 18 to hit for 11 damageswung it down into one of the goblins trying to surround Tambovsky and himself. He wanted to go and help Lady Danicea but Tambovsky was right, they would fare better together in the open rather than stuck on the bridge. "Lady! Quickly to us!"

 

 
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB