RPXP: 1247
derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet
Verse
right-aligned image
Name: Kairon "Verse" Baridon
Race: Dispater Tiefling
Classes: College of Lore Bard & Hexblade Warlock
Social Status - Commoner

I don't have an image yet! As soon as I have the chance I'll work on some elemntary grade art for Verse!

Edit 1: I drew him! I haven't drawn in a long while! This is a fun part of the app

Last edited by derpoet; Aug 15th, 2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 10:46 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Baraqi
ApplicationName: Artur Grayson
Race: Human
Class(s): Artificer (Alchemist)
Social Status: Merchant

Homeland:

Meeting the King:

Follower 1: North

Follower 2: Milo Grayson

DM Notes:

Last edited by Baraqi; Feb 27th, 2023 at 10:01 PM.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 11:07 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7150
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
ApplicationName: Quince
Race: Satyr
Classes:
  • Bard 3
    • Whispers
  • Warlock 4
    • Archfey
    • Chain
      • Psuedodragon
Homelands: WIP
Late of the Feywild, Quince was sent to ensure that King Grohl reclaim his father's throne. Before travelling the length of the kingdom to seek out the intended man, Quince landed in the Western Witch Woods. There, he found an discomforting and uncanny blend of native flora and fauna with those of his native land. He also still saw the remnants of the destruction that the passing orcish war bands had caused decades ago.

While the disorder was unsettling, Quince also saw it as the sort of situation that might allow him to cut out a space of his own, after he was freed to do so.
Association with King GrohlNot entirely by choice and bereft of any details, Quince found himself imbued with magical abilities and sent from the Feywild to the Material Plane to ensure King Grohl made his way to the throne of El Stow.

Thrown out on his ear without any sort of direction, was afraid he'd sooner abide by the 'or die trying' part of his bargain. He infiltrated the human and orcish societies best he could and gradually revealed himself for the spectacle he was in these circumstances. He had learned the most popular tavern songs and the ways to show subtle support for the king while in disguise and used those to worm his way into the societies around him.

Propping himself up as a unique and desirable treasure to behold, he soon found himself invited to the most noble of houses. It was from those stages that he was able to, without their knowledge, get word into the ears of the would-be king's support group.

Posting Rate: Sporadic at best. | Discord: Numen Wraith#9817
Characters: Drystan the Red|Anders Foundlingson|Jan Gauss|Breton Guan
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 11:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 523
Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic Dirty Magic
This looks pretty interesting. I'll have a roll of the King's Dice and see what I can come up with. I *love* character-centric stuff like this.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5979
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Put the final touches on the app, open for critique. Actually trying to create something vaguely artistic was the highlight of my day so far - let's just say it was an iterative process to even get to what you see!
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 07:45 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35526
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythrandil View Post
Put the final touches on the app, open for critique. Actually trying to create something vaguely artistic was the highlight of my day so far - let's just say it was an iterative process to even get to what you see!
Love it! I put together a simple tutorial on the expected quality of work for these types of things here: Draw a Hill Giant [EASY]. I think you have exceeded that bar a fair amount.

Also keep an eye on the Q and A in the 2nd post of the tread. I have started adding some things that came up in PMs that might be of interest to all.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Aug 14th, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5979
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Love it! I put together a simple tutorial on the expected quality of work for these types of things here: Draw a Hill Giant [EASY]. I think you have exceeded that bar a fair amount.

Also keep an eye on the Q and A in the 2nd post of the tread. I have started adding some things that came up in PMs that might be of interest to all.
Oh snap! I dunno, that Hill Giant looks mighty realistic - you nailed that shirt color (I hope I kept to the PG rating...I did give Kren a belt!)
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6944
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
@Bhelogan: What's the general flavor of the setting? I get kind of a base D&D fantasy vibe, but I was curious about the tone of the setting and previous adventures in the world.

Old Aug 14th, 2020, 09:45 AM
'Til all are one

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4947
Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon
Shai-Tan

Name: Shai-Tan
Race: Changeling- Commonly appears as Human or Half-Elf when in public
Class: Assassin Rogue/Shadow Monk/Hexblade Warlock

BackgroundBackground: Urchin – Training for the Manus Umbra begins at birth, and for those destined to serve the Order as Shuju, that training has harsh beginnings. With all but the most rare of exceptions, the child is taken barely beyond infancy and deposited in a city far from the Fortress-Monastery itself. Its childhood spent on the streets of some city or another, learning to survive and thrive with an utter lack of privilege or advantage. If a child manages to survive until the age of 5 or 6, then agents of the Order will retrieve those children for their true training. So it was for Shai-Tan, like many who had come before him.

Traits: I must always carry myself in a manner that inspires others to be comfortable around me. I am attentive, compassionate and seek to espouse a soothing demeanour, all of which serves the purpose of encouraging others to drop their guard around me. Furthermore, it helps disguise the sudden and explosive violence of which I am capable. When I must resort to violence, it is quick and efficient, and is something from which I must detache myself completely. I must take no joy from ending a life, but neither must I assume any mantle of remorse or shame.

Ideal: There is honour in the methods of the Manus Umbra, and it is a sacred honour. A more difficult path than those who find their honour in the Light. For them, there is glory and adoration. Not so for us. We do what we do so that others do not need to, so that the stain of dark deeds is spared them. Ours is the greater honour, regardless if the world does not recognise that fact.

Bond: I am bound eternally to the Order of the Manus Umbra. I uphold its tenets and enact its will. So too am I bound to those in my service, those who serve the Order as I do, and for whom I am responsible. Their success is my success; their failure, my failure.

Flaw: The Order has placed in me great faith, to serve as part of the King’s council and to bestow upon me other members of the order to oversee and instruct. I do not believe I am ready for this honour. Though I dare not question the will of those older and wiser than I, and I cannot show it before those given into my instruction, I believe firmly they have made a great error in this appointment. I spend many long hours in solitude despairing that my inadequacies shall be uncovered, and that I shall fail the King, or worse the Order, in a sensational manner.

BackstoryBackstory: Shai-Tan’s life has always been about the Order. Those who join the Manus Umbra come from two different paths. Those who seek out the order and prove themselves worthy, and those who have been bred for the honour. Shai-Tan comes from the latter path, his biological parents nothing more than biological donors participating in a planned breeding program that has spanned the course of a millennia. He has never met them, and indeed, never even considered them. His family is the Order.

His earliest childhood was spent on the streets of El Stow. For those destined to be Shuju, the agents of the Order who serve interests beyond the walls of the Fortress-Monastery of Obscuris, this is often the first part of their training. Spirited away from Obscuris to a distant city, a child barely out of infancy is abandoned on the streets. There it either perishes or thrives. Should the latter prove the true, then by the age of six agents of the Order will retrieve the child, and their true training begins back at the monastery.

For Shai-Tan, his life on the streets of El Stow’s slums was a tough, but fruitful one. An agile and quick witted child, he learned how to survive by being silent as a cat and using the shadows as his ally. So too did he learn of his biological nature, his ability to change form at will. With these tools in his arsenal, Shai-Tan was not only able to survive on the streets of El Stow, but also thrive. By the time the Manus Umbra came to retrieve him, he was already well on the way to becoming a Shuju, though he did not yet know it.

Upon his return to the Fortress-Monastery of Obscuris, Shai-Tan, who until then had gone by the name of Xavi, was schooled into his true identity and destiny. First educated in the monastic traditions of the Manus Umbra monks, then in the more martial skills of the order, the identity of Xavi soon melted away. The more he learned, the more he realised in his heart that he had indeed been born for this. Every event in his life had prepared him to be what the Order wanted him to be, and as he grew in knowledge and skill, he felt more fulfilled.

Years have passed, and now in early adulthood, Shai-Tan has been handed an assignment of great, and terrifying, honour. Appointed a Shuju of the Manus Umbra, Shai-Tan’s duty is now to serve the will and interests of the order abroad. It also means taking on the instruction of junior members of the order. Further compounding the honour (and the dread), is his appointment. He has been dispatched to serve the aspirant King Grohl, replacing a compatriot who had lost their life in service to Grohl.

Unsure as to his worthiness, but unable to fathom ever questioning the Order he serves so fully, Shai-Tan and his retinue now stand as part of King Grohl’s household. As a Shuju advisor, it is his duty to serve King Grohl as needed. An advisor, a spy and an assassin, the agents of the Manus Umbra have many uses to those nobles who utilise them.

How did you come to be in King Grohl's service?: Shai-Tan is a relative newcomer to King Grohl's service, having only recently been dispatched from Obscuris to fulfill the role. King Grohl's family have a long history of enlisting the aid of the Order, and for many generations a member of the Order has dutifully served as an advisor to the head of the family. Shai-Tan has been sent as a replacement to his predecessor, whose life was given in service to King Grohl. Now the duty falls to Shai-Tan, to carry on a contract made long ago, and one which the Manus Umbra has dutifully upheld for many generations.

Last edited by Arkaon; Dec 15th, 2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5943
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Roll Status Examples # Sidekicks at Game's Start Sidekick(s)'s Level
1-50CommonerFarmer, Fisher, Hunter, Laborer13
51- 75MerchantCraftsman, Shop keeper, Tradert23,2
76-90GentryLesser Knobles, Scholars, Military Officers, Priests34,3,2
91-99NobleKnight, Chief Judge, High Priest44,3,2,1
Does 'status' refer to our character's status, or the status of our sidekicks? I rolled a 65. Does that mean my character is a merchant, my sidekicks are merchants, or both?

What kind of government is currently in El Stow? Is it a ruling council? A Throne usurped by one of Grohl's cousins or another noble? Looks like it's a council, per the Information thread.

Last edited by anamiac; Aug 14th, 2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33714
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamiac View Post
Does 'status' refer to our character's status, or the status of our sidekicks? I rolled a 65. Does that mean my character is a merchant, my sidekicks are merchants, or both?

What kind of government is currently in El Stow? Is it a ruling council? A Throne usurped by one of Grohl's cousins or another noble? Looks like it's a council, per the Information thread.
Well, it does say, "You will begin the game with a number of resources and followers, based on your Social Status" in the game advert.
As to whether or not that includes the sidekick, I thought it did, though I may be wrong. Makes sense that they would be the same or lesser if a sidekick though.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamiac View Post
This is your character's background status. Where did they come from, who were their parents. You may or may not have followed in their footsteps. Your followers are probably independent of this, depending on how you tie them into your background.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuvash255 View Post
@Bhelogan: What's the general flavor of the setting? I get kind of a base D&D fantasy vibe, but I was curious about the tone of the setting and previous adventures in the world.
Yea, kind of a generic D&D fantasy setting. I usually make it similar to Forgotten Realms, in terms of deities and such. My games have few common themes. Generally, there will be a few embarrassing typos, and I will probably use two different spellings of a name for a character or two... (totally didn't happen in Outplay this year, right?). I do try to keep things light-hearted but also deal with series issues and threats (invading armies, the birth of a lich, cultural conflict). This campaign will be revolving, initially at least, a potentially hostile takeover of a region by an unpopular ruler. Hopefully, that helps. Happy to answer any specific questions.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 12:11 PM
Freelance Bum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1485
TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone
This game sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully I can come up with a good character for it.

Oath Taker
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 01:00 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6944
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
WIP
Talon-Click of Knick-Knack Valley

Race: Kenku

Social Status: 58 - Merchant Class

Class: Cleric (Light)

Background: Criminal

Knick-Knack ValleySomewhere, out in the range of mountains North-East of El Stow is a narrow valley nestled in the shadows of two great peaks. The vale lies in near-perpetual shadow, save for when the sun is at its zenith; and even then, it is a shadowy place thanks to the tall, big-leaved trees that fill the area.

Tales tell that that the valley is the home of a den of mythic thieves, responsible for all lost things in the world. If there's something lost and forgotten that you seek (a great treasure, a mystical artifact, your missing keys, that sock that never returned from the washer's), you can find it in the Vale of Lost Things, Knick-Knack Valley.

Like most legends, there's a nugget of truth there. The Knick-Knack Valley is home to a clan of Kenku, and the clan operates as an expert thieves' guild for unsavory folk across the land. No great treasures or artifacts lie in their home, but they do have odd collections and vaults full of odd collections of stuff (including at least one well-guarded dungeon for protecting the hoard of socks-stolen-from-clothes-lines). In this place, Kenku can live in relative peace and isolation from other folk who don't normally tolerate their proclivity for theft and their unusual curse of Mimicry.

Here, a Kenku can carve a hive-like nest from the great trees in the Valley, and fill it with whatever tchotchkes suit them. Typically, a Kenku home ends up as the most extreme example of the cluttercore aesthetic - every wall and notch having some little doo-dad, shiny bauble, or glittery mess to fill it. Hooks in the ceiling can suspend drapes, ropes, tapestries, and more. The floor can hold so many pretty layers of rug and mat.

With all these things everywhere, lighting is tough. Kenku can't see well in the dark, and know the true value of lighting (it can really make or break a collection!). However, torches and candles are a huge fire hazard, and most lighting spells are limited in time. For that reason, the Kenku in Knick-Knack Valley usually have a shrine to Candela, Goddess of Interior Lighting. Her priests and priestesses always have the continual flame spell readied - just in case a room needs an adjustment in light levels.

With the importance of the faith of Candela and continual flame, her Priests act as the spymasters and chiefs of Kenku society; and are typically the Kenku responsible for connecting with the outside world for criminal jobs.

The Story of Talon-Click and King GrohlThere comes a time in every noble's life that they wants something that someone else has. Perhaps it's a piece of jewelry, an important slip of parchment, a weapon, a sack of money, a title, a deed, or a particularly fancy hat. In those times of great covetousness, all the power in the world won't get that object of desire - or at least not without looking like a greedy jerk. That's where a good criminal steps in. A forger, a thief, a charlatan, a con-man...

Kenku do most of those things very well.

There once was a time where King Grohl held a secret competition. Whispers and rumors said that the half-orc king was looking for a master of theft and forgery. Rumor had it that his personal forge, Bohg Standhard, had failed to produce viable paperwork on one too many occasions - and it was high-time to hire a contractor.

Within a week of sending out this rumor, King Grohl received a letter from his personal forge delivered by the Sir Standhard's own page. The letter was one of complaint - that Bohg was personally insulted by the competition, and that he was hereby retiring from King Grohl's service. The letter was signed and stamped with the forge's personal seal. Grohl barrelled down the halls to give the forge a piece of his mind - how dare Bohg retire, how dare he say these things in a letter, and not to the King's face? First under-performance, and now this?! What cowardice!

The King burst into the forge's office and bellowed about the contents of the letter to the very-confused Bohg. It took some time until the forge could explain that he wrote no such letter - that the forge's letter was, ironically, a forgery all in itself! The king, the forge, and the page puzzled over the mystery.

Who could have forged the penmenship of a man who's profession was to copy others? Who got a hold of the forge's signet ring? Who could convince the page to deliver the letter without the page realizing he was receiving orders from someone other than his master?

A creak came from the window, and a gust of cold wind blew out the candles in the room. The fireplace shuddered, making the shadows of the king and his men dance across the walls.

From the window came a voice, high-pitched and sing-songy, "Allow us to introduce ourselves..."

The King, the forge, and the page looked to the window to see three crow-folk jammed in the sill. The leader, Talon-Click held out both of his claws invitingly, and all three of the humanoid magpies opened their beaks and... wall-eyed... they screeched in unison:

And thus began the start of a beautiful business relationship...

SidekicksHiccup - Kenku - Spellcaster (Druid) 3- WIP

Scribbles - Kenku - Expert 2 - WIP

PictureCharacter Picture in a spoiler, something that can be used to make a token for battle maps. (Note - I give extra credit to those who use custom artwork, as opposed to googling something and copying it, even if you draw like a 5 year old)

Last edited by Inuvash255; Aug 28th, 2020 at 11:48 AM.