Game Thread Chapter 1: To scout a ruin - Page 12 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > GURPS > At the Edge of Chaos
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #166  
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 09:36 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,847
Atale stands impassively for now, letting the diplomat do her work. She is impressed at the sight of the ettin, but does not show it.
  #167  
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 02:04 AM
cottontailwind's Avatar
cottontailwind cottontailwind is offline
a bit like you and me
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 5280
cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind
Posts: 1,021
ButangonA pack, and so an alpha with an alpha's ego. As much as he was used to seeing this dynamic in the Lindisfar wilds, he couldn't help but think of the covered stairs behind them. He could pray to The Grieving for the gift to weaken and dismantle it, making way to a defensible spot... but it could take up to a half-minute. Bigger things smush smaller things in less time than that.

He turned his thought back to the ettin. Perhaps it is a blessing, to exchange words with one and not many... Hearing K'Leysha's translation of their exchange, Butangon remained silent, listening, hopeful... with the winds still at the ready.

OOC
 
__________________
Pronouns: He/Him | Posting Status: :) | PCs: Dr. Ouzo, The Altrix Dunyazad, Varley, Old Man Ingo
cottontailwind: "So there's this thing called a collective bargaining unit..." GM: "No unionizing the kobolds!"
  #168  
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 18245
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,409
Bon Castle Ruins The Ettins cyclopean head seemed mildly disappointed to hear that there wasn't an actual Prince among the group. The other seemed to be perpetually angry as its emotional baseline, but the news didn't do much to aggravate this at least.

It had some effect on the common troops too, with some murmuring or sighing. K'Leysha couldn't hear the quiet chittering of the common Xvarts, only vaguely picking up that some thought of her a liar. The Norker Captains had stepped away from the warding stones to position themselves in the general press of the men again, where they could more effectively control their tempers. They said nothing, but for the most part just glowered at the band in the hall with thinly veiled evil intent.

"The Captains want to fight," the more eloquent head of the Ettin intoned, with K'Leysha translating as he went on. His words still sounded extremely old-fashioned to her, almost archaic, but she put it into more contemporary terms of phrase. "...but I would have you tell me more first. Who is your Prince and where does he rule? What is his purpose?"

After a short pause the head cautioned: "Speak true and speak well. Your gifts we will see as well."

"Steel! Cold Steel," bellowed the two-eyed head enthusiastically.

Cyclops clicked his tongue and rolled an eye. "Quite right. You do this and we will think. But make it good, for we fear no violence. Unnecessary bloodshed? On the contrary, there soon needs to be a culling! Is it not better to die on the battlefield than to be put to the circle where brother kills brother?"

The other head added some cryptic support to this general sentiment, as it shouted a seemingly oft-repeated mantra: "What is strong must eat! What is weak must die!"

Riled up by the rising tempers of its master one of the naked beasts started to pull on its leash. The Ettin was not particularly attentive to its pet, which managed to snap at a Xvart with a horribly strong jaw, biting deep into the thigh and pulling the blue creature out of formation.

The animal started to rip through the makeshift armour of the soldier while the more intelligent head of the Ettin smiled grimly, a macabre emphasis to his next words: "Yes, ours are too plentiful by far. We burden ourselves this way to fulfil our purpose and keep this rock pure without and within."

"In-ter-lo-pas.," the other head shouted, apparently considering the group as such currently.

The other head didn't seem so convinced: "We will see."


OOCI don't usually colour-code anything, but if an Ettin isn't the right occasion then nothing is.

By the way, I assume K'Leysha would also translate what the other characters are saying back, assuming it's something constructive. Just so we can make the scene a little more dynamic in terms of the interaction.

@Ericg For a combat post these would be a good amount of rolls, however we're not yet in active combat. I think a spoilertag would be appropriate though, and you also have to decide what to use your rolls for if you want to make the most of them. I might default to using an unlabelled roll for defence, but I won't use the characters best mode of defending or I would be playing the game for you.
  #169  
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 07:29 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,054
Jo'Seph continues to watch things play out. The two heads don't seem to agree on everything. That could be good or bad for the group.
He will continue watching, and only attack once combat has begun, so as to avoid starting the fight...
  #170  
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 12:08 AM
bagginses's Avatar
bagginses bagginses is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 2827
bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses
Posts: 1,059
K'Leysha listened to the banter between the two heads of the ettin and translated for her companions. She then proceeded to confidently respond in Keita to the ettin: ** Great Cater-Cousin, I will answer your questions.

We serve Prince Tay to Wei of the realm of Taytomac. His ancestor claimed this island long ago and built this castle. Its ruins are where we stand now. The prince seeks to rebuild the castle and return here as the rightful owner. It will be his private residence from which he will establish his rule.

He will not be deterred from this path. You and your followers may freely join the dominion of the prince and so receive his protection and the bounty of his generosity. The gifts which we will soon present you are but a small token of the rewards you will receive from his hand.

Or you may reject his generous offer and be culled as you say. However, the ones who are culled are usually less willing than those who order their culling. **
She spoke directly at the Xvarts and looked pointedly at them. ** It is your choice. But before you decide, we present the gifts for you to consider so you may choose wisely. **

After translating her words for her companions, she indicated that they should now offer the gifts that Butangon brought as well as any additional offerings that the prince had provided them for this occasion.
  #171  
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 11:16 AM
Aegis's Avatar
Aegis Aegis is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 853
Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis
Posts: 416
Shujin
left-aligned image

Shujin curses himself, wishing he had taken a moment to grab his long bow before sneaking out. With it he could perhaps get a good shot at this Ettin. Oh well he sighs.

He takes a moment to testify the topography at play here. He can’t really do much if all of the enemy leaders are that far ahead of him. He could take out a few of these in the back but it wouldn’t help. Since they were still parlaying, maybe he could take a few moments to sneak into a more advantageous position. If he could get in a spot where he could more easily attack the Ettin, or take a commander hostage, or if nothing else, make it back to the hall to fight with the others.

He tried to plan a stealthy route that could get him into striking distance of either of these goals.


Dice Stealth TN 16:
3d6 2, 2, 5 Total = 9

Dice Climb TN 16:
3d6 3, 2, 3 Total = 8
  #172  
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 01:06 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,847
Atale looks to K'Leysha as she translates then looks back at the ettin's one-eyed head somberly, wondering what the response will be.
__________________
I have taken the Oath
  #173  
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 03:30 AM
cottontailwind's Avatar
cottontailwind cottontailwind is offline
a bit like you and me
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 5280
cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind
Posts: 1,021
Butangon the HaruspexNow that their exchanges were fully translated into Broken Bridge, Butangon began to grasp the natives' true nature. His hopeful outlook faded as the reality of their situation grew his eyes wide in fear. Butangon trembled. For the first time in a long time, the wandering pilgrim didn't have an escape. A terrifying thought for a timid Gracan, much less a timid Gracan cornered on a tower, surrounded by sky and sea and an isolated, war-hungry clan of disposable Xvarts.

Worse, Shujin had disappeared altogether, though he couldn't be blamed for it.

"K- K'Leysha..." Butangon began, trying to speak so softly that the words barely bleated out. It was unlike his otherwise carefree, contemplative nature up to this point. "Is such an openly defiant approach truly wise, for those whose lives are clearly g- guided by strength and strength alone? Princes and monarchies may mean nothing to them but a challenge t- to their pride and might. And we cannot answer that challenge ourselves," He whispered. If the Xvarts couldn't hear the fear in his whisper, they could certainly smell it on the Caprine oils of his frantic perspiration.

The Gracan cleric glanced somewhat desperately to the others, to Atale and Jo'Seph and the mercenaries, but they all seemed content enough with the pace of things. So the robed haruspex clung to the amulet around his neck, normally kept hidden, and began to mouth little prayers to his patron, before thinking on the situation. "They may not want the shiny bangles given to them as a gift, after all. Such treasure may only hold value as a sign of what they have taken. A sign of strength. To be given may be an insult, demeaned in the eyes of their pack... " When K'Leysha indicated that the gifts should be given then, Butangon felt the eyes of the entire island-top upon him. The weight of their collective gaze threatened to buckle his knees and collapse him altogether. And yet, he found himself stepping forward with the two bundles of gifts, attempting to take the situation in "Bahana Guha grieve for us..." he prayed, though the thought was gone as soon as it'd come, his mind racing.an entirely untread path. After a lifetime of meandering forethought, Butangon was now simply... reacting. His hoofsteps were gentle and slow, and he bowed his horned head low as he went, a parcel in each hand.

"I am no warrior, but a soothsayer and bringer of words." Butangon spoke as slow as he walked, allowing K'Leysha to translate. He didn't dare make eye contact with any of the natives, especially not the Ettin heads, in an attempt to make it clear that there was no battlefield here. No glory to be gained in felling a scrawny Gracan. Butangon knew a bigger predator when he saw one. "Consider these gifts a mere sample of what the battlefields beyond this spire have for the taking." He ever-so-gently placed one parcel down on the ground, revealing their contents to be the brass baubles and bangles. "Endless spoils to be claimed from weaker warriors. Unchallenged warriors. And this... small leaves that, when brewed - heated into water - makes the eyes sharp and the mind run faster than its own thoughts. Drink to shed the slowness and weakness of thought, and to release the best warrior within. The strongest warrior within." He set down the other parcel on the ground, revealing the caffeinated tea leaves. At least, he assumed that was the best way a war pack would make sense of tea leaves.

... but Butangon was careful not to step much further than K'Leysha, and so, the two offerings were laid on the emissaries' side of the warding stones. Having placed the parcels on the stony ground, Butangon was all but prostrate, and so he walked backwards, just as slowly and without either raising himself, looking up, or turning away from the Ettin.

For all Butangon's deference, he was curious to see their reaction to an offering beyond the cairns, and hopefully, glean some insight into their attitude towards the Third and cursed history of the island.
__________________
Pronouns: He/Him | Posting Status: :) | PCs: Dr. Ouzo, The Altrix Dunyazad, Varley, Old Man Ingo
cottontailwind: "So there's this thing called a collective bargaining unit..." GM: "No unionizing the kobolds!"

Last edited by cottontailwind; Aug 18th, 2020 at 03:39 AM.
  #174  
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 03:14 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 18245
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 9,409
Bon Castle Ruins "Taywei?" The two-eyed head blurted out a shortening of what K'Leysha had said with some surprise on its already somewhat moronic face.

"Wei?" As the Keita continued to speak murmurs started to increase among the Xvart. Even some of the Norkers seemed intrigued and let their clubs and sticks rest while the soldiers repeated the question over and over again: "The Wei of Tay?"

While there was talk Shujin moved west along the drop from the elevated part of the mountaintop, which eventually put him behind and below the Ettin.

"SILENCE!" When the murmurs of the soldiers had reached their zenith the cyclops roared with the fury one would have assumed out of the other head. As the head raged the body raised his treetrunk-like club to hammer it into the rocky ground, sending a shockwave of vibration through the immediate area.

Dust and pebbles rained down on Shujin. The Xvart fell silent and cowered while the Norkers whipped whatever they had in front of them in shock. The cairns wobbled, but not a single stone fell, as if they were glued together.

When all the sound had died down the Cyclops drew in a large breath. Even two-eyes was looking at him warily.

"You know the names and you know the histories," One-eye eventually said. "The Kin of Wei of Tay you say?"

He shook his bald head. "But you are like the deep ones, kin as well, yes? So I can't know that you haven't plucked the words from the brains of my poor people." It was an interesting suggestion given that K'Leysha might in fact have been capable of this. Though how would an isolated Ettin know that? "How can I ward against trickery by those we are sworn to ward off? You make threats to force our hand, but we do not know yet if this is the strength of Taywei or the trickery of another."

"Ask below brother," suggested One-Eye.

The Cyclops was not exactly amused by this. "Silence! Let them show us the gifts first!"

As the packages were put down and unrolled some of the Norkers crept closer, followed on their heels by the boldest of Xvarts. Some of them uuhd and aahd at the glittering gifts, but the Ettins merely raised eyebrows.

Two-Eyes wasn't impressed, blurting out with disappointment in his gravelly voice: "Not steel."

"No, it is not steel," chimed in the Cyclops. "They are shinies for our men, but we ourselves do not judge them highly. Taste the leaves! Use a spear!"

The Ettin pointed his gargantuan club at one of the Norkers that had gotten very close to the piles of stones. A spear was handed to him, and after some hesitation the savage dared cross the threshold with the tip of it, scooping up some of the leaves. He handed them over to another captain, who only picked the leaves off the metal after a stern stare from both the Ettins head. The Norker stuck one or two in his mouth, starting to chew and grimace.

Soldiers and leaders alike were watching the crimson-skinned savage as he munched on the tea. It looked as if everybody expected him to fall over and die. When that was not the case the leaves were handed from Xvart to Xvart, being sniffed at as they went along until they ended up in the Ettins hand, who stuffed them into the mouth of Two-Eyes. He chewed and smacked his lips, barely seeming to notice the taste.

"Palatable are they," One-Eyes queried. "Food we like and food we need."

The bearded two-eyed head had little new to say. "What is strong must eat."

The Cyclops nodded, seemingly in slightly better spirits than just a few moments before. "Indeed. This is not much, but it is something. We will speak to our masters. But you can not be allowed to roam and crawl into our burrows. You will remain here, guarded by our men."

At first the Soldiers accepted this command without complaint, glaring at the strange group they were to ward. But what One-eye added next made the hearts of the Xvarts visibly drop. "There is no food, so hold a circle here."


OOCFor Shujins benefit an updated map:
 


Since the darker bits are higher up than the lighter areas he can kind of sneak around that side to come within a few yards of the Ettin.

I realised that this is probably not necessarily that obvious and I forgot to speak about it: Xvarts, Norkers and Ettins usually have their own language. That they speak old-timey Keita is not really the norm.
  #175  
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Ericg1s's Avatar
Ericg1s Ericg1s is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 2525
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Posts: 8,054
"I will remain here if you wish."
Jo'Seph makes no attempt to escape the circle....he sees no reason to provoke a fight....
He waits to see if his companions are doing anything, but he doubts they will attack....
How to convince the locals that they are not 'deep ones'....whatever that means....

Last edited by Ericg1s; Aug 20th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.
  #176  
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 03:30 PM
Aegis's Avatar
Aegis Aegis is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 853
Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis
Posts: 416
Shujin
left-aligned image

He does the relatively quick math of paths, noise, shadow density and geography before he makes up his mind and commits. He holds his breath and begins making his way through the darkness to point where he is closest to the Ettin, yet still hidden.

He can’t really hear what his party is saying, but he doesn’t understand this language anyway so all of his focus on on getting to his newest perch. Once there , after a few minutes of studious work, he slowly and quietly readies his weapon but keeps it hidden but available for a moments notice. But he’d rather not have to use it.
  #177  
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 06:04 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,847
Atale continues to watch the proceedings. She looks with fascination at the norkers and xvarts, but her eyes always return to the ettin.
__________________
I have taken the Oath
  #178  
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 12:51 AM
cottontailwind's Avatar
cottontailwind cottontailwind is offline
a bit like you and me
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 5280
cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind
Posts: 1,021
ButangonIts smash against the ground was terrifying, but for better or worse, Butangon may not have been able to have been any more frightened already.

It was somewhat difficult to track the Ettins' thoughts, as if they were struggling to understand the situation around them, without realizing that struggle. It reminded Butangon of the many lost spirits he encounters everywhere. Growing up among the wilderness, among the Wilders, sometimes made it difficult to understand the motives of city-dwellers. There were so many little games of favor and politicking that made it difficult to fit in with the civilized folk. Funny enough, it was in communing with the dead - with those stuck in their great journeys - that Butangon learned to listen for the unique ways others told their stories, even when they didn't realize it.

... though being lost didn't make anyone any less dangerous, and neither spirits nor Ettin were any exception. The thought that these islanders had masters capable of controlling the Ettin was even more unnerving than their current predicament.

Still... the smarter of the Ettin heads, the Cyclops, declined to go to their masters outright, and instead demanded the gifts.

So it was capable of its own thought, then. Capable of desire. Of defiance.

"Other deep ones? Claiming to be descendants, capable of trickery? This trickery could simply be wits, given their obvious bloodlust, or it could be some manner of magic. Could these deep ones be descendants of Wan the Kinslayer, and not Taytowei the Restorer? Would these packmates even know the difference?" He thought to himself. "Still... they say they are guardians and dislike trickery. They do not approach the statue of the Third and nor do they cross the cairns..."

Still keeping himself low in deference, Butangon responded to the Cyclops, continually glancing over to K'Leysha to translate. "That the gifts please you is pleasing in turn. There are steel weapons and bountiful food in the endless flatlands below, though I am not strong like you, and so cannot hold many treasures at once." He bowed low. "We know some stories of Taytowei and his kin among the endless flatlands below, but we know even fewer stories of his tainted kin within this mountain. Only that they did not revel in strength, but in things the sun dare not shine upon. Nor do we know your stories, as guardians against these deep ones. Please, share with us your stories, great mountain Ettin, and tell us of your peoples' strength and how you ward against dangers. Hearing your stories may make it known, to all of us, how to show our words of the worlds beyond this mountain to be true." Butangon bowed low again, his prayer shawl rippling behind him.
__________________
Pronouns: He/Him | Posting Status: :) | PCs: Dr. Ouzo, The Altrix Dunyazad, Varley, Old Man Ingo
cottontailwind: "So there's this thing called a collective bargaining unit..." GM: "No unionizing the kobolds!"

Last edited by cottontailwind; Aug 26th, 2020 at 12:53 AM.
  #179  
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 01:30 AM
bagginses's Avatar
bagginses bagginses is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 2827
bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses
Posts: 1,059
K'Leysha listened to the ettin and translated for her companions. As she translated, she tried to decipher in her mind what the creature was talking about. It was obvious that the name of the prince, Tay to Wei, meant something important to it and the small humanoids, but whether they feared or hated or admired the name was not entirely clear.

When Butangon responded to the ettin, she dutifully translated although she was not sure it was wise to ask the ettin anymore. Additional information would be helpful, but revealing their ignorance could be detrimental.

She briefly considered using her magicks to read the thoughts of the ettin, but decided to conserve her strength for now. Instead, she added ** There is no trickery from us, great Cater-Cousin. We speak only the truth. If we can agree on something that mutually benefits both sides, that is well. However, Prince Tay to Wei seeks to reclaim this island and castle. ** She stared momentarily at the ettin to make her point clear before continuing.

** As has been said, these gifts are but a small token of what Tay to Wei offers. Steel and other valuables can be a part of that recompense if you agree to what the prince wishes. **
  #180  
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 05:48 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 3756
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 2,847
Atale looks the ettin up and down critically and she thinks she gets where the giant is coming from. She speaks softly to K'Leysha, "Perhaps the prospect of testing their brute strength in battle in the service of the Prince for the foreseeable future, and continued rewards for doing it, would win them over."
__________________
I have taken the Oath

Last edited by Yoshimi; Aug 27th, 2020 at 05:51 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB