Game Thread Far and Wide - Page 25 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #361  
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 05:58 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 2838
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,564
JolJol takes the sausage and as he bites down it is as if Pat read his mind and hands Jol the wine bottle,To help wash it down, you know how sausage sometimes sticks in the throat.The both chew and drink and Jol watches Pat's eyes flick from amusement to keen interest to a flat deadliness when Jol mentions the messages and Lady Tailtu. Jol doesn't need to see the halfling's hand on his dagger to know it is there. Pat is standing right next to him. Jol doubts Pat would miss with them standing this close. Jol has also seen Pat move faster than most Jol has known, including himself. Pat's chewing has slowed, his eyes staring hard at Jol, clearly deciding whether to stab Jol. Pat lets out a long, slow breath and brings both his hands into full view, one holding a biscuit and the other his goblet. I think if you had told us this sooner, or right when we first met, we would have fled and it's quite possible we would have never, ever, seen one another again. I also just thought about killing you.Pat is speaking in a normal, they could be talking about vintages of wine or the weather for all anyone could tell from Pat's voice. I know you to be an honest man. A caring man, who feels deeply for others and the wreck of the world around him. Killing you would be an evil thing, probably the most evil thing I have ever done Father, and we both know I have done evil. Strangely enough, Saya is the closest thing to a conscience I have ever had. I, ah, Saya and I need to discuss this together. I will let you know what we decide. If you would allow that, I would be thankful.Pat holds out his hand to shake Jol's.


The RidersTambovksy shouts out as the goblins rain detritus and darts at them. Tambovsky feels two darts ping off his helm and another sticks in his shield, but he is unwounded. Lady Danicea heard him shout and immediately turned her horse and started galloping towards them. The goblins threw darts and spears and rotted things at her as she rode, shield up and sword swinging. She seemed to be ignoring the goblin on her back, who was still trying to find a gap in her armor to drive his knife through. Tambovsky moved over just in time to block a spear throw with his shield. A spear aimed at Owain's back. The goblins concentrated on Owain, furious at him for killing one of them. They grew even angrier when Owain kicked one of the smaller ones out of his way and then sliced another goblin's head from ear to ear, cutting it in half like one would a melon.
Owain saw Lady Danicea turn and ride towards them. Tambovsky was shouting orders and bashing goblins with his shield and protecting both of them as they ran for Sherrock. Owain shouts to Danicea and kicks a goblin over then cleanly cuts through the head of another. Timber snorts and rears, stomping a goblin to death and scattering others as the big horse charges to Owain's side.
Both Tambovsky and Owain can see Sherrock outside, the sun shining on him as he calmly sits his horse and shoots goblins. Sherrock turns, aims for a moment towards Lady Danicea and decides not to risk that shot and instead shoots and kills a spear wielding goblin coming at Tambovsky.


OOC-next round, neither Owain or Tambovsky or Jol got stabbed that round. Roll for actions, both Owain and Tambovsky can attack. Owain can leap onto Timber's back and have one attack if he so desires. Tambovsky can mount up or attack and continue moving off the bridge.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 10:42 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
ˇSalud, camaradas!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 17915
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 6,998
Tambovsky, human fighter
right-aligned image


Zznnnng! Zznnnng!

Darts were whizzing around Tambovsky as he and Owain made their way to the bridge entrance. Clearly, the goblins might not have been anticipating them, but they had obviously been clever in preparing for the four riders once they had presumably spotted them riding up the hill. For the second time this week, Tambovsky found himself marveling at the goblins' ability to think strategically. These were not the simple fools that the village tales portrayed them as.

But they had made one crucial mistake—they had left behind a shield from their battle and this shield was undoing their hopes for new victims. He could sense the goblins' frustration and anger in their hoots and calls to one another as they failed to bring down their targets and as Owain struck down another one of them. All of Tambovsky's instincts were calling him to form a small shield wall with Owain and advance into the goblins ... but he knew better. All of the other three with him were accomplished riders, and their best hope was to mount and skirmish, using their superior mobility to take down goblins when and where they would choose. Fighting from a horse wasn't Tambovsky's best skill—and clearly he would be the weakest link in his squadron—but it was their best hope.

Reaching his mount, Tambovsky leaped into his saddle and looked to see if Owain had chosen to do the same or opted to slice down one more goblin before abandoning the interior of the bridge. Just beyond Owain was Lady Danicea ... who seemed to be emerging from the bridge, but Tambovsky could not tell under what condition.

Securing his shield across his back, grabbing the reins with one hand and his sword with the other, Tambovsky called out to Owain knowing the Welshman would be the best one to lead as long as they fought on saddles.

"Your command, my friend!" he shouted.




 
__________________

Last edited by bananabadger; Aug 15th, 2020 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 1925
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 924
Jol
Jol sees the changes in Pat's demeanour and knows all too well what this bodes. He finds himself strangely detached, in the face of death. He waits for it. When it does not come, he is not sure whether to be grateful or aggrieved. In some ways, it would have been a relief. But also, the easy way out. No doubt, Jol's time will come. But not today. The balance is not settled, not by a long way, and Orion still has much work for him.

He is calm as the moment passes, and Pat asserts him to be an honest and caring man. Jol tries to be these things, it is true. That is part of Orion's path for him. But would killing him have been an evil thing? Jol is not so sure. The scales still weigh heavily against him.

"Perhaps I would have deserved it" he murmurs, half to himself. Realising he is still holding the bottle of wine, he takes a long pull from it, in a most unsaintly way, then hands the bottle back to Pat. He takes the halfling's hand in a firm grip, quietly pleased to note that his hand is not shaking from his brush with death. "Speak to Saya, and tell me what you decide."

He waits for the halfling to go back in the room. When Pat closes the door behind him, Jol slumps back against the wall, breathing heavily, his heart beating loud in his chest. Now his hand is shaking. Jol's faith is strong and he is sure that Orion will protect him until his work is done. But the Grey Friar is still a man, and he fears death as much as any other.

To calm himself, he focuses on the tasks at hand. Sylana is stable for now, but he must check on her later. Brother Doran must be laid to rest. The churchyard must be investigated and reconsecrated. And he has not fully explored the chancellery, which he has noticed is large and well appointed for a small town such as this. Jol decides to do this first, while he awaits the return of Tambovsky, Owain and the rest of the party who headed out earlier.

Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 11:28 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 12932
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,240
Mounting fury
right-aligned image
The little buggers sure are agitated! Owain thinks as spears, darts, rocks, and was that dung? come flying towards him. He's glad Tambovsky stopped to take that shield!

Over the sounds of the screeching goblins and cries of battle, Owain heard the unmistakable pounding of Timber's hooves. A wicked smile crept across his face as he began to laugh. Oh, you're in for it now you sorry gits. He saw Lady Danicea riding towards them and spied an arrow thunk into the chest of a goblin coming at Tambovsky but for every single one they killed, two more spilled out of the shadows.

Breathing heavy and still laughing, Owain 15 to hit for 11 possible damageswung his longsword in a sweeping arc to make room for himself before he leapt upon the back of Timber. The warhorse was in his element and his blood was up. Maybe that's why they got on so well, there was a sacred rage deep within each of their souls that burst forth on the field of battle. He didn't think he needed to call upon it here and now but it was always there, eager to come out and take over.

 

 
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 04:33 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 2838
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,564
JolJol slows his breathing as he focuses on what must be done next. He looks up to see Soskia looking at him, her dark eyes drawing him in...or are they dark? Now they look violet blue, vivid and bright as she continues looking at him, a small smile crooking across her face. He watches her stand up and slowly walk towards him, holding a ledger in one hand and a quill in the other. That smelled like good wine, do you know the vintage? From what I have seen so far, these priests and the clerics who resided here, lived quite well. Do you know Brother Arn? He was communicating with the clerics here. He has spent much time talking about wheat and rye and where it is milled. That seemed important. He stressed that several times then started writing in a language I don't recognize or was unable to read. I think the writing is spelled or hidden. It could be a Nystul's Aura, but I am not sure. Soskia holds the ledger out for Jol to see. He can instantly tell a read magic spell or that ability would be needed. Brother Arn has purposefully hidden some of his writings. Jol would notice Brother Arn has an elegant hand and clear, precise writing style. Jol had heard of a Brother Arn fighting alongside Sir Alexandre Godarte in the Marne and later fighting off a demon and several other fiends at the Abbey of St. Jean. He sounds quite formidable and decent, much like yourself I would think.


The RidersTambovsky's sense of things and calling out has helped organize them against this sudden fury of goblins. Lady Danicea rode the length of the bridge, almost laughing as she sliced through one goblin, killing him and letting her horse trample two more. She was hit with a darth though and it now stuck out from her back. The small fiendish goblin on top of her head, went to pound it in further. By that time, Lady Danicea had reached them and Sherrock with a clearer aim, killed the goblin with a single arrow shot. Lady Danciea shrugged the dead goblin off with a shake of her head.
Tambovsky's giving out commands has also made him target and the goblins start concentrating on him instead of Owain. Tambovsky takes a javelin in the shield and a small axe glanced off his shoulder and another dart dinged off his helm as he mounted up. The goblins were shrieking at him now and throwing more offal and rocks. Tambovsky sees a few crap into their hands and hurl it his way.
Owain easily steps into the stirrup and as he lifts himself into the saddle, he kills another goblin, his sword sweeping the small fiends head cleanly from his shoulders. Owain sees Lady Danicea, riding and fighting and laughing. Even wounded, she seems undaunted as she joins them. Now mounted, all three turn and ride out from under the bridge and towards Sherrock, he has calmly shot and killed another goblin. As they ride out, a goblin grabs onto Owains stirrup and bashes his knee with a morningstar. Owain feels the sharp sting of the blow ad slices down with his sword. He misses the goblin but does prevent the little humanoid from biting his ankle. That goblin dropped down, to avoid Owain's sword and held on with but one hand, until Timber kicked his hind leg forward, knocking the goblin off and then trampled him as they rode out from under the bridge and into the warm sun. They all turned their horses and could see at least thirty goblins lining the side of the road, the top of the hill next to the bridge and others on the bridge. They could see the goblins milling about, raising their fists and shouting harshly at them and making obscene taunts. Sherrock grins at Owain, nods towards Tambovsky and shouts,See what I mean? Remember what I told you? Ha! Lady Danicea doesn't know what Sherrock is talking about, but she yells out Ha!as well and shakes her sword at the goblins. Lady Danicea is ready to charge, ready to fight the goblins again.
Sherrock is looking to Owain and Tambovsky for direction. He is ready to fight or ride away. Timber rears and neighs, stamping the air, longing to trample more of the little beasties. The goblins are now bunching together, holding shields over their heads in a rough version of a shield wall. They are also now flinging javelins and short spears at the party. Tambovsky catches another javelin on his shield, only this one sticks deep, breaking through an inch or so. He barely ducks away from another. Owain swerves to miss one and then is grazed by another across his cheek. He can taste the blood of the wound, feel the left side of his face growing numb. Tambovsky dodges another javelin and then hears a whoosh of air and suddenly two brightly colored green darts come flying out of the mass of goblins and strike him in the chest. For a moment he is breathless, then realizes the goblins have magic!


OOC-Owain took six points of damage, five from the morning star and one from the javelin. Tambovsky took four points of damage from the magic missile. Jol took four points of astonishment damage.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 06:02 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 1925
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 924
Jol
Jol looks down at the bottle of wine, still clutched in his hand. He puts it down quickly.

"I, ah, no...that is...I do not know the vintage" he says, somewhat embarrassed. He glances just briefly at the closed door, before gratefully taking the opportunity to put the whole incident behind him and focus on studying the ledger that Soskia shows to him.

"A spell, you say" he murmurs. "Why, yes, I believe you are right. Look. As well as this unknown language he switches to, see these smudges here, and here. These are letters, too. If you do not look directly at them, you can just make them out. But if you try to read them, they become a blur. There is some obscuration magic on this ledger, or at least on parts of it."

He looks up at Soskia.

"Few would notice this. You are very observant, Soskia. Let us see if we cannot bypass this glamour of Brother Arn's. In answer to your question, I do not know him. But I have heard tell of his deeds. It may be that Brother Mattias has met him. They were both in the Marne with the Elfspear."

Jol turns his attention back to the ledger. He mutters a brief prayer, calling on Orion's power in an attempt to reveal the hidden writing in the ledger.

OOC
Jol casts Read Magic on the ledger.


Last edited by Gibbon; Aug 20th, 2020 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 07:36 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
ˇSalud, camaradas!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 17915
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 6,998
Tambovsky, human fighter
right-aligned image


Tambovsky lost count at around 23. Easily 30 goblins. Perhaps more.

He felt a burning sensation on his raw, ripped skin that was the ghost of his eyebrow bitten off by a goblin merely three days ago. Alone, no goblin was a match for a trained human soldier. But in these numbers ... Tambovsky was uncertain. He felt they could break their ranks, disperse them even. But not without a loss. And there were too few of them for their numbers to diminish. They had to return in full strength to protect the others.

There was only one strategy that Tambovsky could think of. He hadn't learned it in training. He hadn't ever seen it used in battle. He thought—perhaps—it came from a childhood story that his mother taught him.

If they were on foot, Tambovsky would command that the actions be taken and expect that the others would follow suit, realizing what he was doing or just trusting in them.

But they were on horseback—so his idea would come as a suggestion.

"Is it not true," he asks of this three companions, "that what a troll lacks with his miserable sight, he more than makes up for with a keen sense of smell? If so, then I say," and here, Tambovsky gestures toward the goblin feces that drips from his armor and shield—and not only his, "then I say a troll will recognize me as a goblin by my smell. His nose will tell him so, and why should he doubt?" Tambovsky looks around at his companions to see if they are with him in thought. "So ... if we were to assay a small volley against the troll, close enough to outrage him and for him to whiff us ... then he might give chase ... and we might lead him to others who smell like us—this mass of foul goblins on the bridge. On our mounts, we can distance ourselves from what we hope becomes a raging battle. And then we enter only once it finishes, with one side—one weakened side—remaining against us. Is that not an attack worth a telling? I would suppose my last question is this—do we need to gather more of the foul perfume on us before riding off?"



 
__________________

Last edited by bananabadger; Aug 20th, 2020 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 11:23 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 12932
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,240
Goblin swarm
right-aligned image
Owain was panting atop the rearing Timber. The thrill of battle was fully on him now, his heart thumped like war-drums in his chest. The blood trickling into his mouth only worked to fuel his fire. The barbarian was trying to maintain control, he focused on Lady Danicea. She was riding and swinging and laughing in the midst of the little buggers. What a woman!

The four warriors formed up together and faced the goblins who were locking their shields and hurling taunts, javelins, and even spells. He met Sherrock's eyes as the elf shouted 'See what I mean? Remember what I told you? Ha!' Owain did remember his prediction that joining this group would prove interesting if not profitable. "You were right, as always my friend! Ha!" the barbarian threw back his head and laughed.

Owain was counting their foes who blocked the bridge Less than 10 each, not bad when Tambovsky gave voice to a rather unorthodox plan. The barbarian listened with a wide smile across his bloodied face. He raised an eyebrow at Sherrock "Well now, that's just crazy enough to work. I think we could take these miserable gits here but involving a troll is something I never would've thought of. And it'd be damned funny. Of course, there's much that could go wrong but that's just life isn't it? What do you say Sherrock? And you Lady? Care to lead a wild troll chase?"

 
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel

Last edited by AnotherDragoon; Aug 22nd, 2020 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 02:50 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 2838
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,564
JolJol casts his spell and feels a momentary loss of balance as the spell shifts the wording and his eyes adjust. Once done, he sees a clear script, written in blue ink, which is unusual. The writing is fine and delicate and in a form of calligraphy Jol has only seen a few other times. The writing is beautiful, a work of art in itself. The letter reads:
 
There is no more after that and for some reason, due to the hand writing mostly, Jol would believe the letter was written by a nun or a clerical aid, but it feels more like a nun. Well, what does it say? Can you tell me Father Jol?asks Soskia, the eagerness to know clear in her voice.


The RidersSherrock starts laughing and half bends over in the saddle, the goblins forgotten for the moment. Sherrock rises back up, his face smiling with mirthOiy, you are special one Tambovsky, a special one indeed. I am for it too. Lady Danicea?Lady Danicea is still catching her breath and glaring at the goblins, fully expecting them to charge into the miscreant horde. She looks stunned when she sees Owain and Sherrock laughing. I find nothing funny about this! I don't see how it is you laugh, when we could be killing the rest of these foul folk. And you,she turns to look at Tambovsky,want to bring more of them together. That is so absurd! What happens if we end up fighting the troll and the goblins? Did you think of that? Sherrock has already turned his horse, heading back towards the troll. He says, without looking back,Father Jol placed Tambovsky in charge, we are simply following his commands 'My Lady.' Owain and Tambovsky know the elf is smirking without having to see it, they can hear it in his voice. Lady Danicea lets out ahhhrrmppphbefore turning her horse to follow.
They ride back, Tambovsky and Owain in the lead, followed by Lady Danicea and then Sherrock. They have no problem finding the troll. The brutish thing has moved closer to the road and is now peeling the skin off the skull of an orc with its teeth. It stops and rears up to it's full height when it sees them and lets out a harsh, warning growl, the orc skull still in its mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 10:04 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 12932
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,240
A wild troll chase
right-aligned image
Just like Lady Danicea, Timber was ready to charge into the goblins and break their line. It took a bit of pulling, pleading, and gentle pressure to get the big warmblood to turn around and leave the howling horde behind but eventually, Owain was able to do just that. He rode off after Sherrock still laughing at the plan to kill goblins with a troll. "And people call me crazy!"

On the ride back down the hill, Owain sheathed his sword and readied his bow. He could almost smell the beast's foul carrion breath when it rose up and growled a warning at them. He looked over at Tambovsky with a fox-like grin "Well here we are. Haw dywedyd 'mynydd' na myned drosto. It is easier to say 'mountain' than to climb one."

The barbarian rubbed an arrow with goblin gore from Timber's flank and added some of whatever it was they threw at him to the fletching. "Be ready to ride everyone, I'm about to poke the hornets' nest." To Tambovsky he said "If you would throw some of, whatever that stuff is, it may help to enrage the brute." Owain pointed at the brownish glob clinging to the other man's pauldron.

Owain ap Gwalchmei stood tall on Timber and drew back the bowstring. He gave his best goblin hoot and holler then, he 17 to hit for 5 damage, should be enough to piss him offloosed the tainted arrow straight at the broad chest of the troll. He gave one more howl for good measure before turning to lead the hulking creature back towards the bridge. "Now let's fly."

 
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 10:48 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is offline
ˇSalud, camaradas!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 17915
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 6,998
Tambovsky, human fighter
right-aligned image


Seeing what Owain had in mind, Tambovsky also shifted to his crossbow, making sure to lubricate the tip of the bolt with the choicest green droppings that had landed on his shield.

"I'm not sure I can count on coming so close to toss a pile and escape," he confessed. "I'm not quite the rider you are ... and my horse, well, I won't say anything against my horse. But I think it's best that I fire from afar as well."

His mount was, however, kind enough to stay perfectly still as Tambovsky waited for Owain to launch the first arrow and then quickly followed through with his bolt.

Tambovsky watched the bolt soar and land directly on the 20 to hit.troll's snout A decorative bone piercing in the troll's nose deflected the full impact, causing the bolt to 2hp damagedo little damage, but it would surely carry a whiff of goblin to the very nostrils that needed to sense it.




 
__________________

Last edited by bananabadger; Aug 27th, 2020 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 08:53 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 2838
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,564
The RidersTimber rears in protest and swivels about, almost kicking Lady Danicea with a flying hoof. She instinctively ducked and swore under her breath,Epona's tits,Tambovsky was unable to hear the rest. Owain calmed and turned Timber around, staying easy in the saddle, his face focused on staying there as he enjoyed the wild ride. Sherrock watched, grimacing a bit and smiling once Owain gained control instead of getting flung into the field. Timber neighed out in anger and shivered, wanting to charge, wanting to run, but followed Owain's command and they all followed.
The troll flexed it's muscles and growled again at them as Owain pulled back his bow. Timber neighed a challenge back. They could see the troll's nostrils flare as it took in Timbers scent and then the rest of them. The troll spit the bone out then tried to snatch Owain's arrow out of the air. The troll's hand closed on air and the arrow dug into gore matted chest. The troll looked down, angrily snapped the arrow off and bit the arrow in two and glared at them in defiance. The troll clacked it's jaws and nodded it's head up and down, daring them to charge. Tambovsky's shot hit the troll right on the tip of it's pointed nose and ran along the bone right to the cheek, tearing into the troll's upper lip. The troll lurched forward, almost falling it seemed, then surged forward as it charged them, hunkered down and running on all fours.(trolls move like gorillas when charging short distances.)
Sherrock shoots an arrow that bounces off the trolls rough hide then turns his horse for the bridge. Timber snorts as Owain turns him and they all hear Lady Danicea yell out,By the Saints!as her horse takes off running full out in complete fear. Tambovsky easily turns his horse as it is more than happy to flee from the troll.


JolJol hears Soskia like a voice in the distance, so intent is he on what grasping what he has read. He reads it through a second time, remembering hearing of a young priest of by that name. He was a follower of St. Cuthbert and a member of the Celtic Rite. Bardolf was said to be the son of Haldric Lion's Bane, a great and worthy knight who died at Saxon's Field, the last battle of the Winter Wars. Bardolf served in the Marne and had at one time been Sir Alexandre Godarte's confessor. Last Jol remembers hearing about the young priest, he had been sent west, to the Isles and was reported drowning in the Irish Sea. Nothing of that tale was ever confirmed and Jol had his suspicions. He looked up when he heard Soskia gasp and step back. Pat was standing there, nonchalantly eating a piece of boiled trout. Jol hadn't heard him and judging from Soskia's reaction, neither had she. What are you reading?the halfling asks.


OOC-Owain and Tambovsky, roll an eight sided die please

Last edited by Rasgorn; Sep 5th, 2020 at 04:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 06:08 PM
Gibbon's Avatar
Gibbon Gibbon is offline
Procrastinator
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 1925
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Posts: 924
Jol does not hear Soskia at first, still considering the scroll and its contents. He shows the letter to Soskia, then somewhat belatedly realises that she still won't be able to read it. This particular one of Orion's blessings is only for the faithful.

"Ah. Yes. Let me read it to you. It is a shame that you cannot make out the script. It is quite exquisite."

Pat arrives as he is about to start - so, with a brief glance at the halfling and a slight flutter in his heart after their recent encounter, he reads the words out to both of them, just as they are written on the scroll.

"This Brother Bardolf is another of those who served in the Marne with the Elfspear, although I have heard he later drowned in the Western Isles, beyond Albion. Perhaps Mattias met him once, too" he muses, as he rolls up the scroll and hands it back to Soskia.

"I am not sure what this means, beyond that we should examine any sacks of flour we come across, and in particular any we find in this place. We should certainly add the town's mill and grain store to the list of places we should check" he says, making a note to speak to Mattias about it when he returns, as his brother friar once served here as a clerk. But Jol decides it is best not to discuss the part about Lady Tailtu coming to Blaud Hill in Soskia's presence. He does not know how Pat might react to Jol highlighting that particular part. The halfling can decide for himself what to do with that information, and in any case the letter gives no indication of when she is coming, or indeed if she has already been and subsequently returned to Manse.

"It was already clear that there was some greater evil afoot here than a few orcs and goblins", he says. "This scroll adds to the evidence. From what we have seen so far, I fear that the goblins are simply the symptoms of a greater malaise. I feel that this is something we should investigate further, albeit carefully. What are your views?"

Last edited by Gibbon; Aug 31st, 2020 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 04:48 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 2838
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 2,564
the troll lets out a snarl that shivers the blood of those who hear it.

JolSoskia blushes when Jol asks her opinion, clearly discomfited by that, as she was not used to people asking her about anything. Pat on the other hand, took a slow bite of the trout, smiling at Soskia's discomfort,Doesn't sound like anything I want to get involved in. Goblin necromancers, poisoned wheat, sounds like a recipe for a painful, lingering, early death. I'd have better prospects catching the plague. You do know, not everyone who catches it dies, right? I mean some people survive?There is an edge to Pat's voice at the end. One Soskia doesn't seem to catch. She blanches at his response, then holds her hand to her mouth as she regains her composure.I think we wait for Tambovsky. He is rather clear headed about these kind of things. He is quite sensible and good at planning Father Jol. You should also consider Father Jol, next to you, he is the one most trusted by the rest of us.Soskia doesn't say anything more, but she doesn't need to, both Jol and Pat can tell, Soskia doesn't trust the halfling and she feels most of the others don't as well.


The RidersThey all turn their horses and ride(run)for the bridge, Tambovsky is last in line. Sherrock is at the front, head down next to his horse's neck, running full out, and and right beside him is Lady Danicea. Owain has turned a reluctant Timber and is right on their heels. Owain and Tambovsky watch the troll running faster, much faster than expected in his hunched over state. The trolls hands rip up dirt and soil as does the clawed feet as the troll propels himself after them. Tambovsky's horse slides a bit on the loose mud and gravel of the road, slowing as it's hooves scramble for purchase. The troll instinctively sees the moment of opportunity and leaps from thirty feet away!
Owain and Tambovsky both suck in a full breath of air as the immensity of the leaping troll fills their vision. Tambovsky hears his horse scream out in fear. Owain has to hold hard as Timber jerks to face the troll. The monstrous troll flies through the air and just brushes the hip flank of Tambovsky's horse, staggering the mare but not knocking her off her feet. Tambovksy stays in the saddle, his mare recovers her balance and inspired by fear, launches herself forward and past Owain and Timber. The troll just grazed Tambovsky's mount. They hear they yellowed teeth snap as it tried to bite and missed, followed by a frustrated yowling as the troll hit the ground and rolled and rolled across the field, before stopping itself and resuming the chase. Only now it stood fully erect and was chasing them with long, loping strides.
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 11:21 PM
AnotherDragoon's Avatar
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon is offline
Down & Dirty Dragoonie
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2021
RPXP: 12932
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Posts: 3,240
A dangerous race
right-aligned image
They rode hard. But the troll was right behind them, moving faster than Owain thought something that size could move. It tossed turf into the air in the wake of the wild chase. Owain was laughing "Gods! What a time to be alive! Right Sherrock?" His blood was up and he could feel it in Timber too. The warmblood was in his element, he was eager to ride down and trample the goblins blocking the bridge ahead. Timber was ready for a battle, and blood.

He turned to chance a look back and grit his teeth as the troll leapt at Tambovsky's mount narrowly missing with its yellowed teeth. He whispered to Timber "Keep running friend, you'll have your chance. Save it for the bridge." Tambovsky's horse was inspired by fear and surged ahead. Good, I'd rather be the one closest to the danger.

"Keep riding when we near the bridge. Charge the goblins and push through, with any luck they'll be distracted by us and won't notice our guest until it's too late! Yah!" The sight and sound of their thundering charge should be enough to break the line, but just in case Owain nocked an arrow to fire when they get closer.


OoCWent ahead and rolled an attack in case we make it to the bridge, 14 to hit for 5 damage on a goblin.

 
__________________
│I have taken the oath.│ “There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”
-Nigel Tufnel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB