twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 08:32 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17917
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
To the CallhillName: To the Callhill
DM(s): Avner, Bluejack, Begon Ugo, Coldbones, Dakkon, Eourl Thorson, Jon, Shaede, Unforgiven.
Current Players: Avner, Bluejack, Begon Ugo, Berith, buzzlitebeerColdbones, Dakkon, creed, Eourl Thorson, Jon, Shaede, Unforgiven, Jennifer, fuerdrake, Warson, OldSchool, tomplum, Disaster Master, Norgewalk, Toketsu, Silent Rain, Geldar, LdyZamara, Lemonhead, TheGreyWulf, BB 3, Maladict, Shaolindelt, Ghostly Daemon

NominationReasons for nomination:

I nominate Bluejack’s To the Callhill.

I think it deserves a place in the Hall of Fame because it’s a jewel in RPGX’s crown. From humble beginnings as a simple adventure it has become a complex multi-threaded campaign that combines multiple continent and decade spanning stories. As Bluejack said, it is a place of exemplary writing where novices like me can learn their craft. And it’s a nurturing community that has encourage a crop of new DMs who are now running several games with dozens of players. But most of all its D&D done very well.

Bluejack’s nomination describes this magnificent creation well. The campaign started four years ago with a merry band of level 0 apprentices and has developed into a complex, multiple adventure campaign set against a consistent backdrop in across the northern Sword Coast and the epic War of the Book. This war set the region alight with Orcus’s curse raising the dead and sparking many missions. The campaign has now survived the heroes banishing the Book from the material plane to multiple further adventures set in a milieu indelibly affected by this underlying story line. Characters and NPCs blend from story to story, foregrounded in some and backgrounded or just referenced in others. This lends a richness and reality to the environment.

The players and DMs behind the campaign are an extraordinarily generous group, advising on rules and lore to assist each other and players alike. The quality of writing and characterisation of PCs and NPCs alike sets an ambition we all strive to meet, which continues inspire us to stretch our imagination and writing.

Every so often, Bluejack will issue that siren call in the OOC thread “Anyone fancy DMing”. Players and DMs alike are incredibly encouraging in taking that first step and responding with brilliant play that gives you confidence as a DM that you are getting it more-or-less right. For me it was Creed that took the risk on a newbie like me to join his game, then Bluejack who enticed me to take the step to DM my own thread within the campaign. I’m now running two of the games in the Callhill universe.

At the heart of this game are very well-run adventures by top drawer DMs who invest creative effort and time to create a world and mood for their players. And then the players themselves. The quality rubs off such that everyone brings their A game and then seeks to improve from there. It is definitely a writers’ campaign. Complex characters abound and their interactions are the engine room that the DMs respond to in shaping the adventures. Rail-roading it ain’t.

Links

You all meet in a bar …

This was my first venture as DM. One that was encouraged and supported by my players: Bluejack, Begon Ugo, Berith and Coldbones. I’ve selected this run because it demonstrates how the quality of writing and characterisation of my players gave me confidence to flex my muscles as a storyteller right from the get-go.

The sequence began the recent “Dark Citadel” adventure – based on the classic sunless citadel. In this telling the village of Oakhurst has been ruined by armies passing through on the way to the front during the War of the Book and a renegade necromancer has laid waste to the caravan that was the lifeline of the mayor. Our heroes meet here and find themselves caught between the politicking of locals.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...44#post8246544

Irregulars forever!

There is so much about this stretch of ‘Against the Giants’ that shows why Callhill is so special.

First it is truly part of the wider campaign. Set years after the War of the Book ‘the Irregulars’, the militia introduced in the very first game is ever-present, and a key NPC from that first game, Raackma, is brought to life by Bluejack as PC who now is a veteran colonel, mistaken by unwitting enemies as an old-man. He is anything but.

Second you can never rely on Callhill players to do what they’re supposed to. For those that know the modules, you are supposed to start with a stealthy assassination of the sleeping guards at the hill giant steading door. Not this lot, no. After drawing out and slaughtering dire wolves and exploring local cave systems, they insisted on setting an ambush for an incoming raiding party. The Callhill way is to throw away the module and go with the party - so that's what we did.

And third, the quality of writing, of course, shines through. A set piece battle, with skirmishes across a massive field, large scale magical effects and individual conflicts all play out magnificently. The whole conflict took some 150 posts over nearly four months to resolve – but this run of ten gives a lovely glimpse of the conflict in full flow.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...68#post8543468
Old 08-25-2020, 10:55 PM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16716
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
To the CallhillName: To the Callhill
DM(s): Avner, Bluejack, Begon Ugo, Coldbones, Dakkon, Eourl Thorson, Jon, Shaede, Unforgiven.
Current Players: Avner, Bluejack, Begon Ugo, Berith, buzzlitebeerColdbones, Dakkon, creed, Eourl Thorson, Jon, Shaede, Unforgiven, Jennifer, fuerdrake, Warson, OldSchool, tomplum, Disaster Master, Norgewalk, Toketsu, Silent Rain, Geldar, LdyZamara, Lemonhead, TheGreyWulf, BB 3, Maladict, Shaolindelt, Ghostly Daemon

NominationReasons for nomination: We started To the Callhill in July 2016 after a successful short adventure in Faerun by a chance group of new players meeting. The concept was an integrated Faerun with shared events that impacted the whole game world. We would share villains, heroes, settings. The whole experience was so collaborative and fun, we just kept going.

The group has many DMs with various strengths. If you look at the list, you will see many of the top Dms on the site. Old guard stalwarts great at combat and mapping. Creative horror enthusiasts. Character writers. Off the cuff plot wizards. They all add to the quality of the game. Despite the wide-ranging skills, what the DMs and Players have in common is the ability to write. People who love writing diverse characters and working collaboratively stay, and one or two liners leave. Over time that has created an incredible standard of writing that gives all the participants stake in the world and each other.

Over four years, we have become a small community. We share a Discord channel and talk daily, even hourly. We are a growing family of nerds that love to write. We have so many great character moments that choosing only two is almost criminal. I can think of many moments where I cried, laughed, frowned, yelled in triumph. The whole integrated world has taken on a collaborative life of its own.

We are proud of To the Callhill, it represents more than a game to us. These characters are real, and they let all of us explore deep themes that enrich our lives. I daresay this is true art. I am grateful to have our world and my online family to share it with.

Links

The Lollies - Come on in the water is fine!

This game is a combination of Ghosts of Saltmarsh and Call from the Deep. After a chasing a series of red herrings, the party comes to a head in the basement of a fabricated haunted house. The characters, feeling the stress of failing to avenge their fallen comrades on the doomed frigate, The Shannon, turn on each other. The ensuing confrontation becomes a telling commentary touching on the perceived benefits of capitalism and confronts head-on the specter of racism that can sometimes hang over the presentation of monstrous races in RPG's. In the end, the group had recruited a new crew, offering them the promise of redemption, and they all had their eyes set on a new ship waiting to be confiscated in the name of all that is right in the world.

The War of the Book
The Book of Orcus is the ultimate mulligan in the shared world of Calhill. It is the cause of many of the adventures and change in landscape in the area of Faerun that is the location of their adventures. Eventually the book causes a war against the undead until one group of heroes travels to hell to destroy it. This segment shows one group of adventurers acquiring the book from the evil undead villain the Jester launching the great expedition to destroy it.

To the Callhill 5E: Baldur's Gate (DM), Dragon Heist (DM), Giants and Beyond (PC) Out of the Abyss (PC), DotMM (PC), To the Depths of Hel (PC), The Dark Citadel (PC) , SKT (PC); PF2:Age of Ashes (PC). Oath of Sangus.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:01 PM
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45325
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
FacilitatorThread closed. Public poll will be up shortly, once I've organized it and answered some concerns.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23800
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Due to the six different game systems and multiple unrelated games being run in one forum (rather than a single contiguous game), 'To the Callhill' is being catagorized as a collection of games, rather than a single game. Thus, it has been disqualified from the nominations. Please direct your questions to Aethera or another member of the staff if you have a problem with this.