Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
"Ziya”
left-aligned image

Name: Ziya
Race: Ziya is about the height of a Halfling.
Gender Identity: Ziya seems amused by the concept.
Class: Warlock (Hexblade)
Appearance (Heroforge Image): Fine tan robes with blue and gold borders obscure all but the dark eyes (and a bit of unusually pale skin) of this three-foot figure. Strapped to the side of Ziya’s robe by some feat of tailoring is a golden-bladed sword. Curved and single-edged, it glints wickedly in the light. On Ziya’s back is a small, blue buckler.
Writing Sample 1:

Writing Sample 2:

Last edited by Discipulus; Oct 12th, 2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: "borders," not "highlights?"
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 06:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7917
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Application complete - feedback welcome

Haemon the Iatros/Physician
right-aligned image

Name: Haemon, son of Kephalos

Race: Human (Variant) [Elean/Greek]

Class: Warlock (Celestial) [Demeter and daughterKore]

Appearance: Haemon is a man of Elean descent in his late forties. He is of medium height though the proud way he stands and walks makes him appear somewhat taller. Aspiring to the Elean ideal of a healthy mind inside a healthy body, he often performs exercises to keep himself in form and bathes regularly. His beard is neatly trimmed for he visits the barber as often as possible, as is expected from a man of his station. His skin is tanned, though still fairer than that of the native Anykhetans or those living in the lands to the south. He strives to appear dignified, wearing the chiton and chlamys of his forefathers proudly. His voice is kind and his manner gentle to those that deserve his compassion or respect and firm to those that do not.

Last edited by Elanir; Oct 13th, 2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 08:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1691
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
WIP

Name: Kandake Amanirenas (AKA Candace)
Race: Human: Mark of Making
Gender identity: Female
Class: Artificer: Artillerist
Appearance: WIP

RP Sample one:

RP Sample two:

Last edited by voodoozombie; Oct 14th, 2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
My application is complete, Wynamoinen. I got somewhat carried away when writing the RP samples, but (late) antiquity is my favorite historical era, and I try to present my characters and the dialogues in a realistic historical frame. Any feedback is more than welcome!
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 01:40 PM
Snacking Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 946
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Whoa Nelly, this sounds like my type of game! I'm new to PbP, but have played tabletop 5e. I am doing a NPSG right now and have been waiting for the right game to come along to apply to... I think this is it!

Anyway, quick question, when you say "historical gods" and reference Northern Africa/Rome, would a Greek god reference be acceptable, or should I find the Roman equivalent?
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 02:13 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24459
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Thanks for the note, Elanir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCheese View Post
Anyway, quick question, when you say "historical gods" and reference Northern Africa/Rome, would a Greek god reference be acceptable, or should I find the Roman equivalent?
I wouldn't be super dogmatic about this. Greek culture surely existed in the late Roman empire. But pressing the analogy to IRL antiquity, the civic life of Greece was dominated by Rome, so I think it's more coherent, absent a convoluted backstory, to just pick the Roman version.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 02:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
From a historical point of view a mix of Greek and Egyptian civilization was prevalent in Egypt from Alexander till the Arabian conquest, resulting in the hellenistic civilization. The Greek names of the gods were used (sometimes even for Egyptian gods like Thoth, who was seen as an Egyptian Hermes) as was the Greek Koine/common language, at least by the more educated citizens. Latin was the official language of government, but of not the populace. Even educated Romans were expected to learn Greek and the inscriptions in temples were usually in both languages.

That said, as you stated, Wynamoinen, the world is merely based upon the real world and it is always the privilege of the DM to decide what is right and what is wrong in the setting. I hope you don’t mind I used the Greek names for Demeter/Ceres and Persephone/Proserpina (Kore/daughter), but I pictured Haemon as an initiate of the equivalent of the Mysteries of Eleusis, which was one of the first „mystery“ religions promising personal „salvation“ and a „pleasant“ afterlife instead of luck, wealth and power in the mortal world.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 03:55 PM
Snacking Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
Thanks for the note, Elanir!

I wouldn't be super dogmatic about this. Greek culture surely existed in the late Roman empire. But pressing the analogy to IRL antiquity, the civic life of Greece was dominated by Rome, so I think it's more coherent, absent a convoluted backstory, to just pick the Roman version.
Got it, thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
A quick question while I'm thinking of it. What would the Nubian culture and people be called in this setting? And would it be fair to say that the local Egyptian peoples dominated or outright conquered them at some point in the past? Thoight I better clear that up so I dont say something goofy in my rp samples.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 06:13 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I haven’t set any details along those lines. Feel free to use that as a narrative detail. It would have been many many centuries (at least 8) earlier. If that’s your narrative, and your application is accepted, that will become the truth of the game world.
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
For anyone wanting to immerse themselves in this particular era, I would highly recommend to see the film "Agora" (2009), starring Rachel Weisz, Max Minghella and Oscar Isaac. The Christians (or rather the church leadership) are presented in a very negative light (the historical validity of this is not easy to verify and beside the point) and the movie is mainly about the story of the female philosopher Hypatia, who clearly belonged to the upper social classes, but all in all it does a great job of showing the mentality of the era.

Since this is one of my favorite movies, I thought I would mention it for anyone interested in the real-world Alexandria/Egypt of late antiquity.
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 02:52 PM
Snacking Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Application Completed

WIP Application - Heliae
right-aligned image

Name: Heliae (Last Name TBD)
Race: Human
Class: Druid
Gender Identity: Born female, now non-conforming they/them or she/her/hers

Appearance: Heliae is a human of slim build, standing at 5'10" and weighing approximately 130 pounds. They are 30 years-old. Heliae's appearance is rather unique, and their skin is a puzzle of both dark and light pigmentation, a condition in modern times known as vitiligo. The caramel brown and white tones swirl together like blots of ink on parchment. Their thick, dark hair has been cropped short on the sides, while the top is longer front swoops down their face, often covering their electric blue eyes. Heliae wears non-descript clothing, often a tunic or something that does not suggest any gender specificity.

Last edited by NightCheese; Oct 20th, 2020 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Completing App
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 09:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
Alright then, I guess that Omar is as good as he is going to get. I don't want to over think it or second guess myself too much. For what it's worth this is my first time in auditioning for a game here and pointers or critique are certainly welcome.

Thanks!

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 01:51 AM
Romanes Eunt Domus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 366
Raada Raada Raada Raada
A game set in ancient Egypt and that's openly seeking diversity! How could I possibly resist?

Application
right-aligned image
Name: pronounced like the english emotion, but not based on itHapy
Race: Aasimar
Gender identity: they/them, if you pleaseHappily Between
Class: Monk (Way of the Long Death)
Appearance: Hapy is large by almost all meanings of the word. They dress plainly, in a simple tunic and light fabrics to ward off the blaring sun. Yet, their long strands of golden hair kept in a shimmering braid and matching sunstone eyes draw a few curious stares whenever they walk through the market, even outside of their physical stature. Which is to say, they are tall with a broad frame, to the point where others tend to give them a wide berth, believing Hapy to be clumsy or aggressive. Both are untrue- well, mostly- but appearances can be misleading. Indeed, Hapy is rarely seen without a kind smile. And though unable to find the right words every time, they always carry a pot to supply tea and hugs for a friend in need.

RP Samples:

Last edited by Raada; Oct 29th, 2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Great, thanks for the app Raada! And thanks and welcome to anyone else who I might not have personally greeted already. I appreciate the thought and effort you are all putting in.

At the current pace of development of applications, and my own pace in updating my list of applicants (ie, we're all taking our time, and that's fine), I'm feeling good about my projected date of closure of Sunday Nov 1st. So we've still got two weeks. Those of you who are developing apps (either in-thread, or still off-thread) have plenty of time.

I should say publicly that I'm not a huge fan of back-and-forth feedback and commentary on applications. I'm already asking a ton of you guys, to simply submit an application. I don't want to add more work, when for some people that extra work might come to naught. So let me just say that if you WANT feedback on some particular item, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my honest thoughts. But I will not be issuing a ream of private feedback as part of this process.