Other Star Trek: Pavonis - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook
0 7 9 0
... raised for charity!
All donations matched (doubled) until Dec 20!
: +

Notices

Old Oct 16th, 2020, 07:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Star Trek: Pavonis

Game NameStar Trek: Pavonis
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeScience Fiction
Flavournoble bright.
Plot SummaryAre you insatiably curious? Always wondering what's beyond the largest horizon, or buried in the depths of the smallest subatomic particle? Are you fascinated by the power of warp fields, or the intricacies of intergalactic politics?

Then you might be a good fit for a career in Star Fleet! Inquire at your local recruiting office, or submit your application directly in this thread!

Star Fleet Adventures, a role-playing game released by Modiphius, is based on the universe from the TV series, movies and novelizations. Like the series, it doesn't offer much in the way of acquisitions or character advancement. It does give players a chance to challenge their characters and experience adventure while expanding the Federation's frontiers, both in territory and knowledge, by serving on a ship of the line, in this case the Constitution-class USS Pavonis.

When the United Federation of Planets was formed, there was some talk of Earth's oldest colonies, Mars and Luna, being admitted separately. Nonhuman Federation members were unenthusiastic about this, and after a period of intense negotiation among human factions it was decided that all residents of the Sol system would enter together, but in exchange there would be two Federation starships named for Martian cities and with Martian captains, and one for Luna. This was implemented, starting with the Constitution class, with Pavonis (NCC-1702), Tycho (NCC-1706) and Chryse (NCC-1707).

These are the voyages of the USS Pavonis under Captain Michael Byrne. Her mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

There is some controversy about the word "man" in the mission statement, but it hasn't been changed as of this time period. Star Fleet does not discriminate on the basis of sex, species or anything else except hard work, dedication, skill and innate talent.

DON'T ROLL DICE IN THE AD THREAD!

You don't actually need to roll dice at all during character creation, but management asks us to say this. Repeat:

DON'T ROLL DICE IN THE AD THREAD!

If a combination of exploration, diplomacy and adventure using the Federation's most advanced technology sounds like it's for you, make yourself just the character you fancy by the Lifepath Method. You may specify the position you aspire to, but that doesn't mean you'll get it, just like in real life. Stick to the Core Rulebook and the Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook, and the Original Series era. Some adventures will be from published material, but most will be original.

I plan to post once daily. I know that's a faster pace than a lot of PBPs, but I don't expect pages of content with each post. People will occasionally miss days, and I don't get too excited about this. Players who don't post before the deadline will have their characters NPC'd for that day. This is my fourth PBP--one died when the pandemic hit, but the other two are still going strong. It's the first game I've run with the STA system, and I'm looking forward to some world-class collaborative storytelling with it!

Your application should include your character sheet PDF and a short account of one of the Career Events you chose during creation as an RPG sample. No application will be accepted without such a PDF. I'm looking for 4-6 characters, but will accept a few extra initially to allow for those who wander away. Deadline for submissions is October 30. Selections will be made by November 7, and gameplay will begin on November 9.

So get that application in! Adventure awaits!

Resources

Unfortunately there is no SRD for this game. There is a free quickstart guide. Note that we're not going to play this particular adventure, nor to use these characters; but it does tell you how to play.

If you want to buy the Core Rulebook, please note that the physical book is printed in white ink on black pages in uncomfortably fine print. You might want to check it out at a brick-and-mortar store before investing. I use the PDFs, which are normal black on white and more easily readable. The book is also available from Amazon or direct from Modiphius, of course.

The same applies to the Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook, which I'm using mainly for the species from The Animated Series.

There's an unofficial online tutorial on how to create a character here. It works well with the next resource.

A free character generator is available from the game's publisher, Modiphius. Save the PDF it outputs and upload a copy with your application. You might also want to print one out for your own use.

I made this image of Captain Byrne here and screen-capped the front view. Unfortunately this program doesn't have the species from the Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook, but it's okay for those in the Core Rulebook. If you prefer your character to exist strictly in the theater of the mind, or if you have another program (Star Trek Online is rumored to have one), or if you can draw, by all means go for it. Please do, however, try to keep the uniform style relatively consistent.

There is a very useful set of tutorial Videos on YouTube.

Last edited by Exfilia; Oct 16th, 2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 08:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
I'm assuming players are young officers.

Name; Oshrev Zynes
Species; Andorian
Gender; Male
Rank; Lt Jg
Position; Security

Career Events; During combat with the Klingons, Oshrev attempted a new tactical maneuver now called the Ushaan Bek Dal maneuver by Starfleet command.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keval-ch'Rayya-01 by Auctor-Lucan on DeviantArt.png
Views:	5
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	87460  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf startrek_character_STARTREK.pdf (133.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Sarge67; Nov 10th, 2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 10:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge67 View Post
I'm assuming players are young officers.
Any of the three are a possibility. This guy looks good so far; I'll be glad when you add his PDF.

The Captain is cast, but any other position is a possibility, from a brash young ensign to an engineer or medical officer nearing retirement.

Thanks for being the first to jump in!
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 11:37 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13940
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
I really never got to play this character so I'd like to put her in for consideration

Character Name: Wynn Angelique

left-aligned image

Character Species: Human

Character Rank/Position in Crew: Engineering

Character Appearance: Wynn is an average height human, around 5' 9" and 220lbs, with tied back blonde hair and blue eyes. She wears the golden yellow uniform of the engineering department tailored to her slightly overweight build.

Background
Birthplace: Space Freighter
Approximate Age: 28
Affiliation: United Federation of Planets
Field of Study: Engineering

Youth: Raised in space on a trading freighter her family was lost when she was younger and she was taken captive by Orion pirates, some how she managed to escape their clutches and returned to Earth.

Early Life: At that point she went through a number of human therapists, finally bonding with a Vulcan therapist and with her help ended up enrolling in Star Fleet. Once at the Academy, Wynn had an unexpected reunion with an Orion girl that was only a little older than she was. Wynn had met the girl on the slave ship where she been put to work repairing ship systems once it was discovered that she had a knack for it. Wynn remembered being sent into parts of the ship that most of the other crewmen could not reach and became valuable although she was still mistreated. Wynn never knew why the Orion helped her to escape on a shuttle that was barely cobbled together. The girl was Maevyss and a friendship formed at their reunion despite a vast difference in their personalities.

Wynn graduated from the academy in record time and her first assignment was an outpost on Vulcan where she was involved in a joint Federation/Vulcan Science Division project. After that post she applied and was accepted as an exchange officer on a Vulcan ship. Her ability to mesh well with their non-emotional ways and aptitude in engineering saw them through the Romulan War.

Personality: Wynn has steel exterior of logic and she is near as a human can possibly be to un-emotionalsim. She makes the hard decisions in the clinch and worries about them in the privacy of her quarters. She is utterly dedicated to the ideals of the federation and its mandate.

Qualities: Intelligent, Warp Field Theorist, Mechanically Inclined
Likes: Surak, Three Dimensional Chess, Refitting Warp Manifolds, Triple Berry Pie
Dislikes: Anger, Fear, Extremely Emotional people and situations
Hates: Orion slavers

Last edited by Ysolde; Oct 19th, 2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 03:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysolde View Post
I really never got to play this character so I'd like to put her in for consideration
Wynn graduated from the academy in record time and her first assignment was an outpost on Vulcan where she was involved in a joint Federation/Vulcan Science Division project. After that post she applied and was accepted as an exchange officer on a Vulcan ship. Her ability to mesh well with their non-emotional ways and aptitude in engineering saw them through the Dominion War.
Very cool!

But out of period, as this is set in TOS, in the mid-to-late 23rd century.. If you can tweak her a bit, maybe change which war, she would be a lot of fun.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13940
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Oops I'll make that Romulan war...
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 02:29 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15347
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Bird is the Word
right-aligned image

Name: Selaena A'vianna
Species: Aurelian
Position: Communications Officer

Last edited by PalladiaMors; Oct 30th, 2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy
I have a kind of a weird idea for a character so I thought I'd get an ok on the concept before I continue to flesh it out. It's a bynar science officer whose bonded pair died in a tragic accident. After the accident, they refused to return to Bynaus for re-pairing with another bynar and thus were expelled from bynar society, their personal identification code was deleted from Bynaus' master computer thereby severing their connection to the bynar master network.

Last edited by Ferdy; Oct 18th, 2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdy View Post
I have a kind of a weird idea for a character so I thought I'd get an ok on the concept before I continue to flesh it out. It's a bynar science officer whose bonded pair died in a tragic accident. After the accident, they refused to return to Bynaus for re-pairing with another bynar and thus were expelled from bynar society, their personal identification code was deleted from Bynaus' master computer thereby severing their connection to the bynar master network.
As a Star Trek fan, I can see this. The Bynars were pacifists and if a member signed up to serve in Star Fleet, the network probably would would have exiled the individual for thinking of their desires over the needs of the many.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdy View Post
That is such a cool idea!

I'm afraid it wouldn't fit in on Pavonis, though. Feel free to submit another character, if you like.

I hope you find a home for this one elsewhere.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 07:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Interested, but tossing up whether I have the mental bandwidth to learn a new game system. I played a Star Trek game a decade and a half ago - I was an Caitian helmsman - but the character sheet I have from that game bears absolutely no resemblance to the modern ST game.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 08:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
Interested, but tossing up whether I have the mental bandwidth to learn a new game system. I played a Star Trek game a decade and a half ago - I was an Caitian helmsman - but the character sheet I have from that game bears absolutely no resemblance to the modern ST game.
This is a stretch. I came from D&D, and 2d20 is absolutely the frying of the mind.

We will go slowly, though, and work through things. The Character Creator in the Resources section is a big help. Before I found it I actually made a spreadsheet to create characters. The 20 minute videos from the Complex Games Apologist are also beneficial.

If you want to submit, give it a go. I do enjoy Caitians
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 08:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I attached my pdf character sheet to my app. You should be able to see it at your leisure.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 12:43 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19109
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
So I started to put together a Joined Trill CMO, but then remembered they were TNG era for a reason. If I recall the canon correctly, the Trill at this point are on friendly terms with the Federation but refused to join and were still keeping the existence of the Symbionts a secret.

Going to think on it a bit more.

Edit:- Leaning the simple solution of thinking of something else. Leaning a Denobulan Science Officer.
Curses!

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Oct 19th, 2020 at 01:57 AM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 02:05 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy
Application moved to here:
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...83#post8931783

Last edited by Ferdy; Oct 24th, 2020 at 10:05 PM.