twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2020, 09:12 AM
Sic itur ad astra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1090
InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam
I'll probably come back around for edits periodically but Kotori is ready for review!
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
I'm ready too.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 01:55 PM
Hella Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 299
Thesandwichking Thesandwichking Thesandwichking
Super cool! Will do some brewing on a character and have one up soon
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 07:36 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3305
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Withdrawn

Last edited by Daendil; Nov 2nd, 2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Withdrawn
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 08:13 PM
Hella Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Across the tiled rooftops he ran...
right-aligned image

Name: Raiku Fukashi

Race: Tabaxi

Class: Rogue (MC to Fighter after 1)

Background: Sailor

Quirks: Tall Tales- I stretch the truth for the sake of a good story.
Gambler- I never pass up a friendly wager.

Ideal: Rebellious- The world is in need of new ideas and bold action.

Bond: Honorbound- My honor is my life.

Flaw: Resentful- I remember every insult I’ve received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone who’s ever wronged me.

Appearance: Keen amber eyes reflected the flickers of torchlight. Realizing he'd been spotted, the lithe figure rose from its crouch atop the shadowed rooftop, and dropped nimbly into the street below. He was tall and lean, typical of his kind, and covered in orange fur striped with black and white. His garb was light and dark: soft leather boots, a set of linen pants and a hooded, sleeveless leather tunic. His right arm sported a gallery of masterfully crafted tattoos telling the tales of his years at sea, culminating with the symbol of the first ship he'd crewed on his shoulder- the Water Lily. A small trinket on a leather string about his neck caught the torchlight- a smooth stone with a hole in the center. Anyone looking closer would see that it is the petrified remains of some tiny, ancient, spiral shelled sea creature, polished to an iridescent sheen by a millennia beneath the waves. Over one shoulder loomed the hilt of his katana. Over the other was slung a short bow and quiver full of black feathered arrows. A pair of tanto lurked in his belt, and the torchlight now blazed in his eyes. His stance was relaxed, but poised and ready. He lowered his hood with a low growl.

Personality: Raiku is a free spirit above all. He acts in the interest of the good of people, not in the service of lords or lands. He loves a good story, a friendly wager, and to view the wild places and things of the world. He is fiercely merry with his friends, and fiercely hard with his enemies. He doesn’t scare easy, having faced down storms and pirates and crew mates tougher than either of these. His personal honor is paramount, as important to him as the very air he breathes.

Why are you interested in this game: I love the flavor of the setting, and the idea of a Tolkienesque storytelling game. Both of these are what I've been looking for for a while now.

Last edited by Thesandwichking; Oct 20th, 2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 08:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1413
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
@Thesandwichking Really love the pic, but would it be possible resize it to no more than 400 pixels height?

Edit: Thanks for that!

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 19th, 2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 08:38 PM
Eccentric Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6812
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I can help with that, if you want to PM the link to me and I'll send a resized link back.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 08:54 PM
Hella Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Menzo: Thanks! Looking forward to fleshing Raiku out, so you're cool with making names places and NPCs?

@Arthilian01: Thanks for the new picture! It came out great
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 649
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
I rather like the sound of this. I'll edit/post an actual application when I get home from work. I'm thinking of a warlock/shinto wandering priest kind of character.

Menzo do you think this would be an acceptable flavor/substitute for a great old one styled warlock?
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 09:20 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57
spire
A Geisha that performs magic through dancing sounds really fun.

right-aligned image
Name: Baishō
Race: Aasimar, Scourge
Class: Bard
Background: Guild Artisan
Personality traits:
  • Loyal: Baishō has never been late or missed a day, and is selfless and caring. She has a great fear of letting others down, which lets others ask her to do things she wouldn't otherwise do.
  • Imaginative: You can often spot her staring out into space, lost in thought. She has a knack for coming up with clever solutions to problems, even if those solutions occasionally fail spectacularly.
Ideal: Art reflects the soul
Bond: I will bring honor to my family
Flaw: Baishō struggles to tell a lie. She can mechanically do it, but her body/facial expressions gives her away nearly every time.
Personality: Baishō is typically quiet, but only out of respect. She is friendly and kind, focused and determined.
Appearance: Baishō is taller than most other Geishas. She wears a white and gold kimono, indicating that belongs to the Chiyoteru hanamachi (a highly respected hanamachi consisting entirely of Aasimar Geishas: Geishas that "come from heaven").

Background:
  • At a young age, Baishō was enthralled with Geishas. They would visit her family, and she would be entranced with their mesmerizing colors and movements. Her parents noticed her acute interest and decided to let her become a Geisha.
  • She started her training at 7. Her okā-san, Eiji was a kind lady that quickly took Baishō under her wing. Eiji encouraged Baishō to dance, and arranged for Geishas to come and teach her. As she grew older, she excelled as a dancer; as she danced, the air around her would seem to shimmer and play. Despite her young age (she wasn't even a maiko), people would come and visit to watch her dance.
  • When she turned 17, she started apprenticing. Her okiya, Matsuko comes from a long line of Odoriko (This title is passed down from magic dancer to magic dancer), and noticing Baishō's innate magic, took her as an apprentice. Apprenticeship was not easy; Baishō, preferring dance to all other activities, had neglected her training in homemaking and hostessing. Matsuko did not approve of this, and refused to teach dance until Baishō's hostessing skills were up to par. Finally, at the age of 19, Matsuko started teaching her how to infuse magic into her dancing. Baishō had intuitively been doing this from a young age, but this formal training had allowed to control the effects of her dancing.
  • As she improved, her services continued to grow in demand, with one family (the Motos) in particular taking an interest. At 21, Baishō became a full Geisha, and the Motos started hiring her full time.
  • The Motos treated her well, and over many years she grew to love them as family. One day, she was asked by Hanzou (the father) if she could deliver a package to another family that had hired her the next day. Not wanting to disrespect Hanzou, she accepted, beginning a life smuggling for the Moto family.
  • This went on for many years, until she received a note indicating that they knew she was a smuggler and to meet at a local izakaya, otherwise they would bring dishonor to the Moto family.

Game Appeal: I like interaction-heavy games. What makes one game different to another are the different characters and their relationships. It's also a good excuse to learn about Japanese culture!

ome details about Matsuko and what makes her knowledgable about "true dance" is something you should think about adding to the background. That is something you can use as a connection from one section to another if you choose to lay things out in paragraphs.

Last edited by spire; Oct 31st, 2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 03:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesandwichking View Post
so you're cool with making names places and NPCs?
@Thesandwichking Absolutely. I'm perfectly fine with you inventing names of places and NPCs. If your application is successful, I will try to find a way to insert them into the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherwolf View Post
Menzo do you think this would be an acceptable flavor/substitute for a great old one styled warlock?
@Preacherwolf I could definitely see Ryūjin as being the patron of a warlock, but it's hard to think of such a benevolent creature being a 'great old one'. I would be more inclined to classify Ryūjin as an archfey or Xanathar's, pp. 54-55celestial patron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spire View Post
It appears there are tons of sorcerer submissions. I'd be happy to change this to a bard, assuming I can substitute "music" for "dancing".
@spire Yes, group balance would have to be one of my considerations when selecting players for the game, but ultimately it's up to you whether to stick with Sorcerer or switch to Bard. If you do switch to Bard, however, the problem with substituting music for dance is that although it'll work fine with Bardic Inspiration, what would your spellcasting focus for bard spells be? I would need you to come up with a workable solution for that before signing off on the 'dancing' bard.

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 19th, 2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Sic itur ad astra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1090
InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam
@Menzo An Aasimar typically has an angelic guide that gives guidance in dreams and such, and the Hermit's Discovery feature has them making a potentially campaign-significant revelation. If Kotori is chosen, I realize this would mean more work/effort on your part, so would you prefer I drop them or roll with them?
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 06:20 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMemoriam View Post
@Menzo An Aasimar typically has an angelic guide that gives guidance in dreams and such, and the Hermit's Discovery feature has them making a potentially campaign-significant revelation. If Kotori is chosen, I realize this would mean more work/effort on your part, so would you prefer I drop them or roll with them?
@InMemoriam I'm fine with both of those features.

Last edited by Menzo; Oct 19th, 2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 649
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
@Preacherwolf I could definitely see Ryūjin as being the patron of a warlock, but it's hard to think of such a benevolent creature being a 'great old one'. I would be more inclined to classify Ryūjin as an archfey or Xanathar's, pp. 54-55celestial patron.
Well great old one's don't necessarily have to be malevolent, just alien to us. There are plenty of Lovecraftian horrors that aren't evil, simply thier wants and desire are utterly incomprehensible. I was more thinking of stylising it as he's an unknown, benevolant but also simply a mystery. He did cause a hurricane that sunk the Mongolian fleet and is responsible for the tides, so people worship him as a force of good, but at the end of the day, what do we know about him? He is a beyond ancient dragon who lives in an impenetrable undersea fortress and who has power over the oceans, and thats terrifying.

Still, I see your point. I just really love the Great Old One Warlock Spells and Abilities. I'll do abit of reading, maybe try a kami that fits better for a Great Old One, and write up an actually application in the next couple of days
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:36 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57
spire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
I would need you to come up with a workable solution for that before signing off on the 'dancing' bard.
Wouldn't a hand fan work?
Closed Thread