Other Cyberpunk: Red (Early Post Edition) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Players Seeking Games
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6871
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Cyberpunk: Red (Early Post Edition)

It's a bit of an early post seeing as it just released today, but I'm looking & eager to hear from potential DMs (or players!)

Anybody picking it up or am I going to be forever alone until I inevitably end up running a game?
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 08:34 PM
Not-So-Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3880
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Is that the new version/release of the Cyberpunk 2020 style game?
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 10:36 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22736
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
Hi Marsh. I'm a big fan of Cyberpunk 2020. Have a shelf full of the books.

I would definitely be interested in playing in a Cyberpunk Red game. But I haven't laid hands on the rules yet, so I reserve my right to be disappointed by them. Truth is, I WAS disappointed by the Jumpstart Kit box set, but a lot can happen between an early, abridged ruleset and the final product.
As someone with only a passing knowledge of the previous ruleset (I got into Shadowrun first and never branched out), I'd be interested to hear the why of this. I'm heavily debating picking up the pdf out of love for the genre but any insight into what things a veteran likes/doesn't like about the system might help push me over the edge.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 10:55 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
I WAS disappointed by the Jumpstart Kit box set, but a lot can happen between an early, abridged ruleset and the final product.
Yeah, the jumpstart/quick-start rules were quite lacking, I'll admit.

From what I've read through so far (I mostly jumped to check out their take on Life Paths with RED so I'm catching up to that, haha.) so I'm still keeping my eye out for any red-alarms. I'm a little disappointed at the way weapons have been handled, there doesn't seem to be much of a variety, but I suppose that opens up the gates to let GMs be more creative in what sort of weapons are put out there.

That and they'll probably pump out some stuff in expansions as they did with the Witcher TRPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Is that the new version/release of the Cyberpunk 2020 style game?
Yeah, it's the newest edition of the R.Talsorian Cyberpunk system.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 04:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4198
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
I don’t have it yet but I’m intending to get it soon, I’ve been reading through and enjoying the stuff that R. Talsorian did with the Witcher TTRPG and I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with the latest version of Cyberpunk. That and the fact that I seem to be drawn to anything involving CDPR these days....

I suspect it’ll be a long while before I’d consider GM’ing a game that all said, at least until I’m familiar enough with the rules.

Last edited by Nade; Nov 15th, 2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 07:19 AM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Cyberpunk 2020 was like the Wild West, or Prohibition-Era Chicago. Wild and dangerous. And, frankly, completely bonkers. Night City had a street gang that had surgically altered their appearance to look like members of the Kennedy family. Imagine getting shivved by a John F. Kennedy lookalike! And the combat was really over the top. Diving sideways into cover whilst firing a machine pistol in each hand kind of crazy.

Cyberpunk Red (or the Starter Kit, anyway) feels much tamer. Safer. All the central crises of Cyberpunk 2020 have been resolved, and the characters are just making a living now. It is, in fact, what they call post-cyberpunk, ala Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. And all the combat rules have been dialed back.

I'm sure Red will be fun. And I could be wrong. It could come out and be just as wild and untamed and crazy as the original. But I suspect not.

RED is 100% more toned down, but personally I kind of prefer that... There's still a level of lightheartedness and some of the slang has remained but I dunno, there's a huge chronological catch-up between 2020 and RED.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 12:49 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39192
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
I would be interested in getting back into Cyberpunk. Is Red available in hardback or is it purchase only?
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 02:13 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
I would be interested in getting back into Cyberpunk. Is Red available in hardback or is it purchase only?
I think it's available in hardback? I know it's definitely available as a softback book & PDF.
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 08:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 870
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
Originally they had hoped to have the print version available in stores for the 19th in the US but there were some issues with shipping or some such. It should hit the stores soon though.
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 08:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I believe RED was designed with the idea of customization in mind for both the GM and their players. I am really liking what I have seen so far especially with how they handle Netrunning.
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 11:59 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
Admittedly I haven't actually looked into how the Netrunning in RED works, I'm more interested (as a player) in playing a Nomad / Rockerboy street artist type.

I rolled up a few lifepath tests in a private thread and I got a pretty juicy bullet-point for a rockerboy.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Nov 18th, 2020 at 12:06 AM.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 12:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I haven't delved into the Lifepath system too much yet. I tend toward being a fan of the matrix in whatever system. So I usually delve into that in short order.

But this time, I had a few other points to investigate first.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 11:46 AM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
S'fair, we all have our priorities with certain systems of differing genres, so I wouldn't worry too hard about that.

The lifepath in CP:RED isn't as chunky as The Witcher TRPG, which IMO is a bit of a shame, but what's there is enough to give you a solid lead on writing your character/who your character is, rather than telling the entire backstory of your character as Witcher does.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
When it comes to Life Paths, Traveller was my first introduction in Character Gen to such a thing. As much as some believe it was first used in CP and while it was amusing at times, it left me with mixed feelings on such. Same when it came to other systems generally speaking but I like what I have seen in Red as it gives a nice framework for those who need the help and you can build off of it.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 08:44 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
I'd disagree with the idea of someone needing "help" to build off of it, it's more an alternative to just throwing something up and it presents you with some nice concepts you may not have thought of on your own.