Notices

Old Nov 17th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5379
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael

left-aligned image

With the little amount of life and energy she had left in her she decided to find a way to her friends home. He could treat her there hopefully. Maybe he would understand that someone may be looking to do her harm and the hospital was not the best option. She could also send word to Miriam somehow.... she'd have to think on that. The woman likely didn't have a phone. It wouldn't be hard to have a letter run over by an anonymous street urchin.

That would come later. The more pressing matter of actually contacting and making it to her destination still remained. Phyllis hobbled away from the door and down the lonely street as the scattered images of the monstrosity replayed in her thoughts.

Last edited by Anael; Nov 17th, 2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 11:55 AM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7731
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol

The trip to the house of Dr. David Forrest, Phyllis' friend from their university days, was painful and bloody. He was a brilliant surgeon, and wealthy too, and both things would prove invaluable... if just the Bookhound had managed to reach him to ask for help.

Leaving a trail of droplets, and fighting with every step not to pass out, she managed to arrive at his door... or did she? At one point, everything went black.

When she woke up, hours or days later, Phyllis found that she was still alive. A first great achievement, the biggest of them all! Now she just had to organize her disappearance, probably abroad, and wait in hiding until the vengeful Vaker would pass away...

In fact, being a prudent type, Phyllis had prepared for this, although she always thought she'd be fleeing creditors, not a crazed Egyptology-obsessed sorcerer and his insect monsters. Still, in a few minutes she had her escape route planned tickets to the Continent, a false identity in Holland, financed by the sale of the Scrolls of Bubastis. She could hide there for a few months, or maybe reach her friends in Rome...

About Miriam, should she warn her, or even bring her and the kid along? Would they even come? If she showed them a Scarab, they probably would. Perhaps the one in the bucket was still there, in Gertrude Smith's house? She strongly doubted that! Although...

All these thoughts were cut short by a title on a newspaper that somebody had left on her bedside table. Was it really...?

Old Nov 18th, 2020, 04:02 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5379
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael

left-aligned image

Phyllis laughed after reading the newspaper headline. She winced in pain grabbing at her torso as she tried to contain her joy. The old fool was dead and the best part of it all was that she wasn't. She wasn't particularly religious, after all she knew of about the evils that weren't supposed to exist in this world, it was hard to be. Still, maybe some guardian angel had been watching over her. She placed the paper down and closed her eyes. Phyllis had been ready to call it a game as long as she took Vaker down with her and at Nellie's house she thought that was the final curtain falling on a life not so well lived. Maybe by stopping Vaker she actually did some good for the world amidst all the selfish actions of her past.

Phyllis did her best to slowly right herself on the bed. She grabbed a pen and paper and began to write.

Dear Miriam,

This is the last you will likely hear from me. My connection to your family has far too many bad memories attached to it. There are a smattering of fond ones as well to be sure... Still, my constitution and my intuition tell me that it would be prudent to try and make a new start for my own physical and mental health. I'm writing this letter to let you know that the the evil that has plagued your family is now gone. You and your child can go about your life in peace. I hope you find some solace that the one who orchestrated your fathers death has paid a terrible price for their sins. As for the Egyptian man following you I doubt you will see him again. With his employer deceased he has no reason to further harass you. With some luck he may not even be around at all!

All the best,

Phyllis

P.S. Stay away from the graveyard at night and if you find any tunnels near there PLEASE do not go in them or let your boy wander in.

P.P.S. Here is some money your father earned. He would want you to have this..

Phyllis put the pen down and went to claim her purse. The third of the advance Vaker gave her was still wadded up inside. She smoothed out the bills placed them in the letter and then carefully folded it in preparation to have it mailed.

She had a lot of planning to do and some small loose ends to tie up. When she was well enough she'd visit or write a letter to the witness of Alf's murder to let her know she no longer had to fear the insects. It was the least she could do after leaving her there with it. She briefly pondered what the woman had done with the hissing insect trapped in the iron pot and hoped it hadn't killed her.

She would have to go and visit her friends who helped her and thank them and fill one hermit in on the fate of Vaker and what transpired. After that.. well maybe she'd take a long vacation. Perhaps with a certain reporter who had been there for her. For the first time in a long time she had felt some peace.

Vaker was gone, No one would see his assistant ever again and Phyllis' ego grew three times that day as she realized she just saved the world! Okay saving the world may have been an exaggeration but she was fine with letting herself believe that.

Old Nov 18th, 2020, 05:56 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7731
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol