Game Thread To the North - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > To The North
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 01:29 AM
triedtherest's Avatar
triedtherest triedtherest is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 2072
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Posts: 1,716
Brewmaster Borkin of the Stone
right-aligned image

What the Stone am I doing? Thought Borkin to himself. Dwarves swim like stones..mind you, all I have to do IS sink for the time being!
He swam downwards as forcefully as he could, searching for for the drowning person.

OOC
Action: Dash
Move: Swim downwards

Initiative: 12
Constitution Check: 28
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 08:40 AM
Discipulus Discipulus is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2021
RPXP: 499
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
Posts: 174

The Pond's Edge, Mid-AfternoonAbove the surface of the pond, all was silent, and not even Brunhilda's gaze through Snowflake's eyes had revealed any of what was happening below.

InfoIt is Snowflake's Turn.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 10:34 PM
Aoem's Avatar
Aoem Aoem is offline
Chaotic Good Mindflayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 19th, 2021
RPXP: 757
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Posts: 451
Feather
left-aligned image


Feather of The White Hunters Moon looked upon the scene below. He circled above the frigid icy man hole, eyes focused intently upon the still mirror of black water which reflected the snowy grey sky.

The Owl's drive was of course to aid and assist his companions in securing the safety of themselves and the drowning victim.

It was embedded in the owls predatory nature to seek signals of distress, these occurrences often led to Feather swooping silently upon a struggling creature and deftly making his kill.

This scene however, was a unique situation that had Feather feeling strange and awakened in ways that he had not before.

Instead of seeking the icy hole in hopes of clutching at a meal, Snowflake sought to save a life.

Of course he was compelled by his spirit connection to Brunhilda, thus allowing him to tap into her emotional energies and feel through her channels.

Feather swooped low near the mouth of the portal to the frigid waters below, his wingtip feathers slightly brushed the lip of the hole. Feather continued his vigilance, poised and ready for the slightest stirring that would trigger his aiding leap into action.

The Owl's talons flexed and curled in anticipation, he would fly low over the hole, and reach down with both of his strong talons. Then, beat his powerful wings to compel he and his shivering prize forward and out of the hole.

It would be a mighty feat to drag a waterlogged pair of humans out of the icy waters. But, Brunhilda felt that Snowflake was up to the task, and thus urged him to focus and be ready for his chance.

SnowFlake was an advanced hunter, this meant that he had more than a few encounters with grabbing creatures with his dexterous digits.
The owl knew that it would be immensely difficult to approach this task with the thought of using sheer strength alone to pull Borkin and whoever else free of the water. This is why Snowflake continued to circle the hole in a figure eight pattern. The alabaster owl kept up his speed and pace, preparing for a quick grab and pull, which would carry the momentum of his weight and speed int0o more effective pull.


 
__________________
Posting Status:On Schedule

Last edited by Aoem; Nov 25th, 2020 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 10:17 AM
Discipulus Discipulus is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2021
RPXP: 499
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
Posts: 174
The Pond's Edge, Mid-AfternoonSnowflake circled the hole, watching intently for any chance to help the submerged adventurers. But they had not yet appeared, and even the dark water had begun to still.

InfoIt is Brunhilda's Turn.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 01:51 AM
Aoem's Avatar
Aoem Aoem is offline
Chaotic Good Mindflayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 19th, 2021
RPXP: 757
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Posts: 451
Brunhila Naldred
left-aligned image

Brunhilda Naldred Rogue(2)/Wizard(1)
HP: 20| AC 14 | Spell Save DC: 13| Spell Attack: +5| Status: Normal
Hit Dice 1 (d6) 2 (d8)| Spell Slots: Level 1 (2/2)|
Brunhilda sat concentrated upon the cart, she was wrapped in her woolen blanket.
Inside her fur and hide moccasins, Brunhilda's toes flexed and wriggled wildly as she was alive with the senses of the rescue by the icy hole,
Deaf to the senses occurring with her human form, Hilde's body continued to remain warm, wrapped snuggly in a blanket upon Borkin's cart.

__________________
Posting Status:On Schedule

Last edited by Aoem; Nov 30th, 2020 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 09:44 PM
Discipulus Discipulus is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2021
RPXP: 499
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
Posts: 174
The Pond's Edge, Mid-AfternoonSnowflake circled yet, and Brunhilda thought she could feel just the slightest hint of impatience from the bird. After all, there wasn't any sign this was going to result in any snacks.


InfoIt is Hrothulf's turn.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 01:03 AM
Bumblemeister's Avatar
Bumblemeister Bumblemeister is online now
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 160
Bumblemeister Bumblemeister
Posts: 117
Hrothulf Bragison
left-aligned image
Hrothulf Bragison, Valor Bard
HP: 24+8/24+8 | AC: 14 | Attack: +4 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell Save DC: 13
Level 3 | Hit Dice: 3d8 | Status: Normal
Spell Slots: 2 Cantrips | Level 1 (4/4) | Level 2 (1/2)

As long as he kept moving, Hrothulf hoped, he would be ready with his rope for when his new compatriots breached the surface again. And so, he paced and continued to sing. But as he paced, a strange thought came to him: This ice doesn't seem so thin... From the mere glimpse he'd caught of them, the hapless victim had seemed so small - childlike, even - that he'd assumed the ice had to have been fragile for them to have fallen through. Indeed, he had made more than a few assumptions. Tromping about as he was now, he chided himself for wasting precious time crawling toward them on his belly.

Well, Inga. 'First, act,' you say; and that went brilliantly. But if answers do come later, maybe this is a good time to find some. Of all the voices long-silenced, hers was the ghost he carried most gladly and with greatest sorrow. Somehow, she still usually had the best advice, too. So, if we're fine stomping around up here, how did our diminutive quarry break through? Just how thick is this ice, really? And where in the nine hells did they come from?

With that, he Cast: Mage Handsummoned the spectral appendage again, readying it at the ice's edge to get a better sense of just how deep the frozen layer went.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 01:27 AM
InMemoriam InMemoriam is offline
Sic itur ad astra
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 1085
InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam
Posts: 799
Vitalie Dovrunzeld
right-aligned image

The commotion just seconds ago made the current still silence all the more terrifying. It was eerie and empty, like the endless wait for her mother to come home, and with no way to know what was going on under the ice, Vitalie could only continue to watch Hrothulf and Snowflake.

"Oh, then, um, should I get out there?" she shouted back to the skald, conscious of her proximity to the ice but gingerly inching forward anyway. "Or maybe I can do more back here?" Her voice slowly trailed off until it was nothing more than a mumble, and though she didn't recognize it, dread had added a vibrato to her usually assured timbre.

Troubled embers cast their gaze around and about her little heating station, searching for something, anything that might be of use to the people out on the frigid surface.
Dice Perception:
1d20 19
(19)

 
__________________
Status: Slight delays. Be back on track soon! | GMT+8
Playing in: Hoard of the Dragon Queen | West Marches | To The North | Empire of the Setting Sun
I've taken the Oath

Last edited by InMemoriam; Dec 2nd, 2020 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 10:13 AM
Discipulus Discipulus is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2021
RPXP: 499
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
Posts: 174
Initiative Order
Character Initiative
Alrrick 21
Snowflake 16
Brunhilda 13
Borkin 12
Hrothulf 11
Vitalie 6


Tundra, Pond's Edge, Mid-AfternoonHrothulf summoned his mage hand as he waited, causing a nearby Snowflake to flinch momentarily in surprise.



From the pond's edge, Vitalie scanned her surroundings.





InfoIt is Alrrick's Turn.


Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 12:19 AM
DeviousDolly's Avatar
DeviousDolly DeviousDolly is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2021
RPXP: 518
DeviousDolly DeviousDolly DeviousDolly DeviousDolly DeviousDolly DeviousDolly
Posts: 148
Alrrick Alrrick was still having trouble seeing clearly in the murky water. He could just barely make out the form of Borkin beside him, but saw nothing else to indicate where the child would be. He tried to remember what his father had said about hunting when you couldn't see, but his mind was too filled with the intense burn of anger his rage gave him to think clearly. He swam lower, hoping to find the child at least, if it had sunk to the bottom, that was.
His hands barely touched the soft sludge of the water's bottom when he felt a sense of urgency fill his heart. He watched as what appeared at first to be a stone pillar began to writhe and cause the ground around him to shake. He looked to the side and saw a gaping maw full of razor sharp teeth appear before his dwarven compatriot and himself. Instinctually, the young tribesman punched the side of the beast.



 

 
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 05:59 AM
Aoem's Avatar
Aoem Aoem is offline
Chaotic Good Mindflayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 19th, 2021
RPXP: 757
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Posts: 451
Brunhila Naldred
left-aligned image

Brunhilda Naldred Rogue(2)/Wizard(1)
HP: 20| AC 14 | Spell Save DC: 13| Spell Attack: +5| Status: Normal
Hit Dice 1 (d6) 2 (d8)| Spell Slots: Level 1 (2/2)|
Hilde watched the circulating ripples from the black maw of the icy water begin to still. What trouble have they found in there? She confided her worry while telepathically speaking with Feather of the White Hunters Moon. The visions that she received from Feather confirmed a few things to Hilde.
There's something down there. She knew that nearly a half minute had passed since they first took the plunge into the frigid depths. That's too long to be of their own deciding. Grandmother Hilde had witnessed many a bathing ritual in these cold north lands. Most resulted in a chilly dip and then a quick swaddling in fur and wool.

She recalled the distressed figure whom she had first seen struggling to breathe within the icy hole. Could it have been? Her brow furrowed with worry as Hilde fretted to herself. If it was, then i led them into that hole. Her wrinkled cheeks dropped as did her expression of mirth. Grab the ropes i said, but was i far too hasty? Ahh, i need to be more careful! Hilde reflected sincerely upon the chain of events that had led to Alrrick and Borkin's submergence into the chilly pool.

And now look where they are, at the bottom of an icy hole rescuing an illusion!

The burden of her conscience un bearable, Hilde growled in defiance and said, " How foolish i was to compel my companions into the clutches of a guising predator."
She tutted scornfully as she stood up from the cart and dropped her woolen blanket upon the bench seat.

She bent her knees and rather limberly vaulted off of the cart and landed upon the snowy dirt path. Should it be what i suspect, Great Gran Hedvig would never let me forget such a mistake. Ohh how she used to rap my knuckles with that spoon! I bet i'd never hear the end of it..

"Hrothulf, Vitalie! i'm coming over to you, I believe it's a trap!" Hilde called out loudly across the distance as she ran quickly through the snow to cover the distance between them.



Feather
left-aligned image

The alabaster hunter of the night watched the hole with building anticipation. Like a hunter realizing the moment of calm within the vortex of action and chaos. Snowflake felt that something was amiss, the wise owl could tell that humanoids often detested cold baths in the frigid waters. Of the three who had jumped in, one was shaking himself dry like a wet dog, and the other two remained hidden under the foreboding surface of the eerie, rippling black mirror. Snowflake considered with the mind of a hunter and saw this as a very successful tactic. Which, had lured several good sized prey into an unfamiliar domain, where they would make an easy meal.

Feather heard Hilde's worried narration of emotional movement. The owls instinctive response was to affirm the possibility of this 'drowning person' being no more than the illusive lure of an advanced killer. Although naked of any comforting consolation, Snowflake did present the angle of dire circumstance through the heart of a real predator. This perspective was calculated and unwavering in dedication to the craft. Although, the white Owl shared a spiritual connection with Hilde and cared deeply in that bond.
Snowflake cried alarmingly, his screech was one of helpless desperation, that he could do nothing to aid those whose pain caused Brunhilda's heart to hurt.
__________________
Posting Status:On Schedule

Last edited by Aoem; Dec 4th, 2020 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 07:01 PM
triedtherest's Avatar
triedtherest triedtherest is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 2072
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Posts: 1,716
Brewmaster Borkin of the Stone
right-aligned image

What the...teeth! Bones! Thought Borkin frantically. We've been tricked, there's nobody in distress here...except, you know us!
He considered breaking for the surface, before Alrrick swam past and clobbered the beast!
I'm not leaving a mate to bloody face this thing by 'imself, but how can I be of any use here?
Then he saw the canister, and the skeleton seemingly beckoning him to take it.
Internally shrugging, he figures What the hell!
Swimming over to the boney figure he attempts to take the canister, whatever it was, and hoped it would be of some use!

OOC
Action: Grab/accept the canister from the skeleton
Move: Swim towards the skeleton

Initiative: 12
Constitution Check: 28

Last edited by triedtherest; Dec 4th, 2020 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 12:33 AM
Bumblemeister's Avatar
Bumblemeister Bumblemeister is online now
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 160
Bumblemeister Bumblemeister
Posts: 117
Hrothulf Bragison
left-aligned image
Hrothulf Bragison, Valor Bard
HP: 24+8/24+8 | AC: 14 | Attack: +4 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell Save DC: 13
Level 3 | Hit Dice: 3d8 | Status: Normal
Spell Slots: 2 Cantrips | Level 1 (4/4) | Level 2 (1/2)

"Oh, then, um, should I get out there? Or maybe..." Hrothulf heard Vitalie call before her voice faded into the windswept expanse of the frozen lake. In the distance, he thought he heard another voice calling. Grandam Hilde? Her owl seemed upset, but he didn't know what to make of that.

He held up a hand as he called back, "I'm not sure, yet. He willed the ghostly hand below the surface of the ice, probing to find its underside.

"You should be safe! It's twice as thick as I'd worry about!" Just what in the blazes is going on here?


OOC
Action: Investigation = 15
Move: None

Initiative: 11

Last edited by Bumblemeister; Dec 6th, 2020 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Re-read Aoem, added response to Snowflake
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Discipulus Discipulus is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2021
RPXP: 499
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
Posts: 174

Tundra, The Pond's Edge, Mid-AfternoonBrunhilda rushed across snow and over a hill to stand near Vitalie and Hrothulf, though she had to steer clear of the magical bonfire Vitalie had created.

Meanwhile, Snowflake continued to watch the hole in the ice as Hrothulf probed the icy surface of the pond with his spectral hand.




InfoIt is Vitalie's turn.

Last edited by Discipulus; Dec 7th, 2020 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 05:22 PM
InMemoriam InMemoriam is offline
Sic itur ad astra
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 1085
InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam
Posts: 799
Vitalie Dovrunzeld
right-aligned image

The brief sighting across the pond could have been explained away as a trick of the light; however, as fueled as she was on stories of adventure, the flame-gifted sorceress couldn't help but think that things were only going to get worse.

Having received Hrothulf's reassurance, Vitalie quickly went to lay the blanket in her hands down onto the bedroll just as snow-padded footsteps signaled Hildegarde's arrival. "Ah, grandmother Hilde. Something doesn’t feel right, so I'm gonna head out there," she said by way of both greeting and goodbye before setting off.

Vitalie placed a tentative boot onto the ice and was relieved to find the slippery surface didn’t immediately melt under her feet. Several more tentative steps forward without incident and Vitalie began to wonder if maybe she didn't constantly radiate as much heat as her father often jokingly complained. Or perhaps she had somehow managed to reign in enough of her anxiety to stifle said heat. At the very least, Vitalie was glad to find she wasn't running hot enough to ruin the layer of ice separating her from the water that had so willingly swallowed Alrrick and Bjorn.

Her slipping and sliding eventually brought Vitalie to Hrothulf's side. One hand clung to the dripping wet skald to steady herself as the other Ready Produce Flame. Technically means it hasn't been cast yet so Hrothulf must endure the cold for longer. Vitalie herself is a little warm at least lit up in a gentle blaze and moved to begin warming him up. "How are they?" she asked, staring into the break in the ice and the empty blackness; the inability to see beneath only exacerbating her concern.

Her restless gaze then rose to the base of the hill as she prepared herself for any complications. "I saw something on the other side," she continued, her tone cautious and warning. "Something small. It disappeared just as I caught a glimpse."

 
__________________
Status: Slight delays. Be back on track soon! | GMT+8
Playing in: Hoard of the Dragon Queen | West Marches | To The North | Empire of the Setting Sun
I've taken the Oath

Last edited by InMemoriam; Dec 7th, 2020 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB