Game Thread Tenmen: The New Day (Belliger Thorpe) - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > The Solo Bazaar > Solo games in progress > [D&D 5e] Tenmen
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 09:38 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The man in charge
right-aligned image
”Grrr….” The growl was all that escaped his lips as the bandit leader lurched back a step, feeling the biting cut of the rapier on his cheek. With his free hand he wiped at the blood, the expression of dismay quickly turning to one of anger as he looked at the scarlet proof of his own wound. He set his feet and met Belliger’s eyes with his own icy gaze as flickering candlelight from the chandelier above played across his face, ”You’ll pay for that.”

The music might have inspired Belliger out of his own dismal performance, but it did little to soothe the charging brigand as he made a sudden lunge. The mace swung straight for Belliger’s head, barely missing, but it was immediately apparent that the move had been a feint as he lunged to grab the crossbow from the nobleman’s hand. Perhaps he was a bit timid from the recent wound he’d received at the end of Belliger’s blade, or maybe the younger man was simply faster, but the end result was the same as Belliger kept the weapon out of the bandit’s grasp.

Beyond the melee, the elf continued to play her song, and even Galan began to perk up as he watched the back-and-forth battle unfold. While his uncle was still cowed by the whole experience, Belliger could hear him muttering, ”Get him, get him my boy.”


OOCYou should have 2 Superiority dice left, since the last attempt didn’t connect.

Those are some truly terrible rolls, but hopefully you can turn it around.


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 12:30 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 28th, 2021
RPXP: 7911
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 2,481
Belliger
right-aligned image
The bandit's hand played briefly on the crossbow before Belliger was able to fall back, getting some distance. Thye bandit was already closing in again. Belliger swung his sword as a feint, then put his boot into the bandit's chest and kicked. It didn't hurt his opponent, only pushed him back, but it was the breath of opportunity Belliger needed.

Belliger tucked his rapier into his armpit, gripped the crossbow with both hands, and fired. The bolt aimed true, yet the attack was telegraphed - the bandit leader had time to begin twisting out of the way. He wasn't quite fast enough, as the bolt ran into his shoulder. It didn't hit deep enough to penetrate the limb completely, but it did manage to draw superficial blood. The bolt skittered along and its iron tip tinked against the window.


OOCThanks, I forgot to take back the die.

Combat:
  • Ranged attack with crossbow, hit for 5 damage.


 
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Ronin of the Rebellion [Lancer], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 11:06 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The man in charge
right-aligned image
Twisting away from the crossbow bolt, his own crossbow bolt, likely saved the life of the bandit leader standing before Belliger. Turning side-long to Belliger offered another advantage to the veteran brigand, which Belliger only discovered when a dagger stuck into the seat back next to him. Thrown from concealment, the dagger had eluded his eye until nearly too late and the bandit offered a wink to let his opponent know he was still in the fight.

The man came forward with mace firmly in hand, ready to get back to what had given him success in the early moments of the fight, pausing only long enough to kick the quarrel holding the rest of the bolts out of the reach of either man. At the far end of the room a single pane of glass, knocked loose by a crossbow bolt and pushed by a draft, fell from the frame to ground below.




 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 08:24 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 28th, 2021
RPXP: 7911
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 2,481
Belliger
right-aligned image
Both Belliger and the bandit turned briefly to register the sound of smashing glass below and the sudden free flow of gusty air. Commotion tricked in as the bandit gang fought the fire.

Belliger's attention was drawn by a glint of metal on the bandit's belt. Keys. That could be ...

A lot of things could happen. Belliger could win, or lose, and the bandit boss here could lose, or run, or fall out the new opening that's been made here. Belliger needed to make sure he secured those keys. It could be the only way to briskly free the captives and get out of here in a reasonable manner. It was the once thing he couldn't leave to chance.

The bandit, of course, wasn't distracted for long, and swung his mace as a casual afterthought, already dancing away. Belliger pursued, sword and mace clashing in mid-air, and Belliger seized the opportunity while their weapons were engaged to shuffle in and snatch at the belt.


OOCJust the Slight of Hand check to get the keys.

If 15 will accomplish it, I'll use my Inspiration to do it.

If it's a failure even at that score, then I'd rather not waste the Inspiration on it if I can help it.


 
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Ronin of the Rebellion [Lancer], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 03:47 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The man in charge
right-aligned image
Steel clashed against steel as the two men found each other in the bind, the bandit leader snarling at the younger man who had proven tougher than expected. Belliger reached out for the keys on the man’s belt, looking to take advantage of the situation, and got his finger through the loop. A moment of elation as the keys pulled free, tearing the stitching on the belt loop as they came away in Belliger’s hand.

His focus on the keys, Belliger was still pulling his hand back as the weight on his rapier suddenly disappeared. With only a moment’s warning, Belliger ducked once and again as the mace swung at him, narrowly avoiding being clobbered senseless. The older man was breathing heavily, growing more and more incensed with each miss and finding his own abilities pushed to their limits against the well-trained swordsman. Grown used to threatening merchants and underpaid guards on the road, who were themselves little more than peasants with spears, the man hadn’t found a real challenge in years.

As the bandit missed the second time his eyes went first to the keys in Belliger’s hand, then the prisoners he had captured, and he moved to put himself between the invader and his prize. Setting his feet, he glared up at Belliger and shook his head, ”Not gonna happen.”




 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 08:34 PM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 28th, 2021
RPXP: 7911
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 2,481
Belliger
right-aligned image
"I liked you better when you bothered with the banter. Are we just switching to impotent threats now?" Belliger said. His voice huffed slightly, betraying his own fatigue.

He was wounded, albeit lightly so far, and they were both tiring. Belliger had been through a gauntlet of tension and minor scrapes, and his luck wasn't carrying him here.

He lunged, and the attack was telegraphed enough that the bandit had no trouble sidestepping to avoid the momentum. He tried to swing for Belliger's legs, and the nobleman shuffled across to avoid the arc of the mace. He thrust again, off-balance but practised enough to keep his aim true, and the bandit's weapon rotated upward to knock the incoming attack aside. The man was perhaps older and unused to fighting on equal terms like this, but he was still seasoned. Belliger was on the verge of panic, trying to gauge how to break this bastard's defences. He stepped back, trying to establish a way hi could arc around his opponent towards the prisoners. It wasn't an opportunity he could take now, but maybe ...


OOCWow, I wasn't sure if getting the keys would actually work. One thing went right, at least. Last thing I needed was for him to scarper with the keys.

Combat:
  • Attack + Precision: Still a miss.


 
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Ronin of the Rebellion [Lancer], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 05:54 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The man in charge
right-aligned image
Tired, wounded, and caught imagining a prisoner rescue, Belliger was caught off-guard by the suddenness of the other man’s charge, and unprepared to turn aside the heavy mace blows with his lighter blade. The first one caught him flush and would leave ugly bruises for weeks, but the second blow very nearly ended the fight as it connected upside the nobleman’s head and left blood flowing from the scalp wound.

”How’s that for banter?” the man said with a smug grin as he turned away. Perhaps he thought the other man finished by Belliger hit twice for 12 damage total.the great head wound, or perhaps he was really that confident in his own victory, but he had Opportunity attack for Belligerleft himself exposed for a moment just as a call came up the stairs.

”Hey boss, we’ve got the fire under…” The shout cut off mid-sentence, drawing attention from everyone, as all eyes turned towards the stairs behind Belliger. That silence was short lived, however, broken by barking, shouting, and the clashing of steel, and no matter what Belliger made of the development, the other men in the room seemed to come to two similar conclusions from the brief interlude as eyes opened wide: intruders.

There was a fire returning to Galan, sparked by Belliger’s appearance and fuelled by the abhorrent treatment of his nephew, now roaring as he heard the commotion below. The bandit leader stepped further away from Belliger, the stairs, and whatever was below, and found himself too close to the beaten and supposedly broken nobleman. Galan had not made much account of himself on the road when he’d been kidnapped, but he lunged out of his seat with a vigour belying his battered condition. Bandit is grappled and restrainedArms wide he engulfed the bandit leader and tackled him to the ground, the elf joining in the melee as she did her best to pin down the bandit’s weapon arm.

If there was a time to strike, this was it.


OOCWell, the rolls have not been going well, with Belliger taking a few bad hits. At all. Hopefully that will change.

Belliger can make an opportunity attack with his reaction (no advantage/disadvantage).

Following that, the bandit has been grappled and restrained by the prisoners (who, of course, rolled well), and Belliger can attack him with advantage.


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 04:58 PM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 28th, 2021
RPXP: 7911
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 2,481
Belliger
right-aligned image
Belliger fell. His vision shimmered and he felt like he was going to sleep against his will, trying to keep his eyes open against encroaching dreams and darkness. The pommel of his sword dug into his side - he was lying on his weapon.

"How’s that for banter?" from the now triumphant bandit.

Belliger had no retort. He was done. He'd been a fool to think he could get further than this. Some noble commander he turned out to be - broken and beaten in a forgotten manor, laid low by a middling overlord to a bandit crew time will never be kind to. What was Belliger even doing here? Saving his uncle? No. Truth be told, he wasn't here for family or honour. He was here for personal glory. He wanted to be the straight-backed hero. The bright and shining star of the family, a trajectory begun in Tenmen when he rallied the locals against peril.

There was no glory in dying like a fool.

The bandit leader turned away, and Belliger suppressed a cough. Maybe he could still stick the bastard so they could go down together. Not what he'd expected to occur, but taking down a formidable foe with one's last breath was its own twisted heroism. A stupid death, but still one that might be sung about, someday. He had to free himself first, slowly lifting his torso - gods, he hurt everywhere - to slide out the sword. It scraped slightly on the floor. The bandit seemed to hear it, as he started to turn back, gripping the mace tighter ...

"Hey boss, we’ve got the fire under…"

Everyone regarded the voice, and the growing cacophony just out of sight. "What no-" the leader started to himself, before a sword flashed in front of him. Belliger was up, with great effort, and the rapier tip was aimed straight for his opponent's face. The bandit reeled back, and the sword slid across his neck, leaving a shallow but clean cut that bled quickly. Belliger had put all his momentum into the one desperate strike, and he fell again.

The bandit continued his backpedalling momentum, getting a little distance out of caution before charging back in to finish Belliger once and for all. He never got that far. He's inadverdently stepped close enough to the prisoners for Galan to be within reach, and the opportunity wasn't wasted. Galan roared, a fury repressed and now released, as he wrestled the bandit from behind and pressed his weight on the overlord's torso and legsto keep him on the floor. The woman could barely reach the fray due to the length of the chains, but she managed to contribute her weight, keeping his arms pinned, although already he was thrashing against the resistance.

Belliger got back on his feet, his back hunched and his arms swaying. He was far from dignified right now. Indignation blazed in his eyes. He'd been made a fool.

The bandit bucked, pushing away the elf woman and rearing up to lever Galan off as well. Belliger took the target presented to him, touching the tip of the rapier to the bandit's collarbone, then baring his teeth as he pushed the steel through. The bandit's movements stopped being concerted efforts against the restraint - now he thrashed and twitched desperately. "Have I earned the right for tough talk yet?" Belliger hissed as he withdrew the blade. The bandit still struggled, and Belliger struck again. And again. And on and on, more savagely, his fear and self-doubt pulsing through each clenched muscle as he thrust more times than was ever necessary. He'd won. But he still ...

"It's done, Bellie," Galan said warily.

"...Yes," Belliger said when he came to his senses. He passed Galan the keys wordlessly, his head hanging. Why did he feel ashamed? Was it at the near defeat, the loss of control at the end? Or being confronted with his own reckless pride? Either way, he felt lesser than when he's entered this damned manor. And he hurt. Oh, how he hurt. But he was alive, against the odds.


OOC
Combat:
  • Reaction attack - hit for 4 damage.
  • Standard attack - hit for 18 damage (11 + 7 damage from using a superiority die to make a trip attack)

I don't believe it. That's a kill.


 
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Ronin of the Rebellion [Lancer], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands

Last edited by HotsuSama; Nov 28th, 2020 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 12:59 AM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The man in charge
right-aligned image
Belliger stood triumphant over his foe, the bandit bleeding from multiple stab wounds and no longer struggling against Galan as the life drained from him. He had fought and killed monsters, mindless cannibals without mercy or conscience, but this was a man that lay in the pooling blood at his feet. Belliger would need to deal with his feelings on that in the days to come, yet Galan’s voice snapped him back to the present, where more pressing issues waited for the young lord. He’d killed the bandit leader, but there was still a whole camp full of men and women out there that would happily kill him right back.

With the keys it took little time for Galan to free himself, and then to free the elven woman, from the crude, iron shackles. For a moment Galan Thorpe looked like the man Belliger had known all his life, brash and confident, but only for a moment. The din of combat down in the foyer reached a fever pitch as a man screamed out, and someone began running up the stairs. It was the woman that had been up here before, and she was taking the stairs two at a time as she came into view. She slowed up as she caught sight of the stranger and the body at his feet, and might have caused more trouble with the bloodied axe in her hands if not for a thrown spear that caught her flush in the side. Gasping once, twice, with blood foaming at the edge of her mouth, she fell backwards down those same stairs without another word and the place fell silent once again.

Again footsteps, and as the men they belonged to came into view it was time to relax just a little. Valda pulled his spear free of the bandit as he led the way, a bloodied and limping Doxen following, and Valyv covering their backs with his massive halberd. Whatever they had encountered below, they had certainly fared better in their fight than Belliger had with perhaps the exception of Doxen.

”My lord Belliger… Galan!” Valda exclaimed as the others came into view, and he rushed up the last few steps. Galan shrunk back at first hearing his name, but seeing the familiar face he relaxed ever so slightly. Valda pointed at the broken window as he and the other two guardsmen arrived in the ballroom proper, pausing a second to catch his breath, ”We got your signal and came as fast as we could.”


OOCYou're clear for now if you want to rp or explore for a bit.


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day

Last edited by Starflier; Nov 30th, 2020 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 05:02 PM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 28th, 2021
RPXP: 7911
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 2,481
Belliger
right-aligned image
This had been an emotional moment for Belliger. First he felt broken, consigned to failure. Then he had turned it around in an unlikely moment of good fortune. And now things were happening more rapidily, and all his cohort had rallied in response to the fire. And in the mix of it all, he's killed someone. Taking down the dwarf had been one thing, but this was another.

But for now, they needed to collect themselves and escape.

"...Yes. " Belliger said slowly, trying to inject some lordly confidence into his speech to overlay his shaky intonation. "Good show. We're right on track, so we'll be on our way soon. Let's get that open first," he said, gesturing to the footstool chest. "That's the one our new friend Boots told us about. Is the larger chest around here? We'll get that open too if we can, but I'm not wasting unnecessary time on it. We need to move before the rabble outside mobilise. Tell me, where has the fire ended up?"

In Belliger's mind, there were a couple of ways out of here, but going back out the way he came might be a good way to avoid the main thoroughfares - provided Bartam hadn't lit his fire there. Would he encounter Bartam on the way out? Hopefully not. If the fool still had something of a brain in that pickled skull of his, he'd already be scarce from here.

His heart thudded and he hoped his men couldn't hear it. To distract himself he headed over to the captives, relieving Galan of the hefty keys and passing them to Valda. "Are you two alright? We have a couple of ways out of here, but it'll still be a decent trek back home. We'll rest along the way if we can spare it, but my preference is getting to Cabalan as soon as able." He didn't mention that they may also be collecting a limping Boots along the way if they encounter him. Belliger needed to believe he could keep his word on that. He looked to the elven woman. One part of his brain reflexively acknowledged her as pretty; the other half couldn't bring itself to care about that. "What's your name? We'll take with us you to Cabalan, then if that's not your home we'll work something out from there."




 
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Ronin of the Rebellion [Lancer], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 06:51 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The Ballroom
right-aligned image
Relieving Galan of the keys was not difficult now that the momentary surge of adrenaline had passed, leaving the battered nobleman subdued. The elder Lord Thorpe sat on his knees, eyes focused on the dead bandit, and he reached out to give the body a quick shove, checking to make sure he was dead. However pivotal he had been to defeating his captor, it was clear that Galan would be of Non-combatantlittle use going forward. Valda, seeming little worse for wear, took the keys and quickly freed the elven woman.

”Nyrileen, my lord,” she offered with a slight curtsy, seeming in much better condition that Galan. ”Poet, minstrel, performer, on my way to Cabalan when these thugs grabbed me on the road. I kept them entertained, and they kept from beating me.”

The woman’s pained glance over at Galan made clear that Belliger’s uncle hadn’t been able to fulfill such a bargain with these people and had paid for it. So had they all. Nyrileen knelt down next to Lord Galan, putting a hand on his shoulder and whispering encouragement to him. Doxen had taken up a spot by the door to keep watch, leaning against the entrance to take the weight off of his wounded leg. Valyv kept watch on the opposite wall, the younger guardsman seeming uninjured and ready for more. As Belliger and the newly freed captives took a moment to regroup, Valda moved to the footstool, resting his spear and shield on the chair next to it.

It took only a moment to realize that the lid was locked shut, and only another for Valda to realize what the second, smaller key on the key ring was for. The lid flipped open silently on well-oiled hinges, giving Valda a view of the contents, but blocking it out from everyone else. His eyes turned left and right, taking stock before he reached in and grabbed something, a potion vial. Popping the cork he took a quick sniff and plugged it back up, Greater Healing Potion, 4d4+4Healing potion, best you drink this before you pass out.”

Valda took a moment to glance over at Galan, obviously conflicted over his duties here. He had come with Belliger, on orders from Eindan, but he had also been Galan’s bodyguard before he was taken. The older man sighed, resigned to seeing how things played out when they got back to Cabalan, but for now went back to looking through the foot chest. Several heavy bags of coin, a rather hideous bag of reddish-brown cloth, and three arrows were all that he removed from the secret compartment, not quite the king’s ransom that had been hoped for. After checking for a false bottom, or other similar tricks, Valda closed the lid and laid everything out for inspection.

A not-so-small fortune in gold was the most obvious bit of treasure to evaluate, but perhaps the least interesting. As an archer, the arrows caught Belliger’s eyes immediately for one striking detail, a small glass bead just behind the head of each. Leaning in for a closer look, it was plain to see that something was moving inside the glass, swirling cloud around like clouds, and each a different colour. With their purpose being unclear, Valda made certain they didn’t roll off the footstool and break accidentally, the veteran guardsman seeming quite certain that they were dangerous.

”Something in here,” Valda said as he turned the ugly bag over in his hand, before reaching inside and pulling out a small, fuzzy ball. Squinting at it for a moment, the disappointment on his face was readily apparent as he tossed the ball over onto the couch. It bounced from the seat, off of the backrest, and landed on the floor in front of the battered furniture, only what landed on the floor was a great slobbering hound. The mastiff sat by the couch panting and drooling while Valda just stared at it, blinking once, twice, then setting the bag down very carefully on the footstool next to the arrows. Getting to his feet he took a few steps back from the assembled haul of treasure, clearly uneasy, ”Uh, it's all yours m’lord.”

With a wary eye on the cloth bag, Valda moved away from the footstool to see to Doxen’s wounded leg, flinching only slightly when the big, slobbery dog got up and followed him, tail wagging left and right. At a nod from Valda, Valyv left his post at the door and joined Belliger to keep a close watch on their two noble charges. ”We’ve not seen another chest, Bel… Lord Thorpe, but we just got inside before we came up here. We could take a look around... when you’re feeling up to it.”


OOCStill can't find a good image for the ballroom, but anyways.

480 gp
Greater Potion of Healing
Rust Bag of Tricks
3 magical arrows of unknown properties


 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day

Last edited by Starflier; Dec 8th, 2020 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 09:09 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 28th, 2021
RPXP: 7911
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 2,481
Belliger
right-aligned image
"That's a dog," Belliger said, realising immediately how inane he sounded from stating the obvious. Yes, it was a dog. Not quite as stout as Snout was, but still a fine-looking mastiff. He didn't want to dare that the dog would be around permanently, but for a brief moment he imagined returning with not only his uncle in tow, but a new Snout for Sheil.

But he was getting ahead of himself.

Belliger took the rust-coloured bag, the magical arrows and the potion. He'd figure out the arrows later. The gold they'd unearthed was better than nothing. It did seem like a small haul for a bandit group this large, though. He frisked the bandit leader's still form for anything else pertinent - anything written down, more keys, something. While doing that, he realised how ... unassailed they were at the moment. The fire was still acting as a diversion. The house was, for all intents and purposes, empty except for them.

He thought fast. This wouldn't be true for long.

"When the bandits come back in, we want them to come in through the front. But we want to slow them down past that. Valda, Valyv, I want you two to take your caltrops, plus mine and Doxen's, and spread them all out between the main entrance and the main staircase. Throw some furniture on the bottom of the stairs as well if you can manage it to create a blockade. Miss Nyrileen, you're with me. We're searching the rooms down The second hallway Belliger hasn't explored yetthis hallway. Hang on to our host's keys in case we find something to use them with. Uncle Galan, Doxen, I want you both watching the windows and the bandit activity down there. Keep out of sight, but alert us if it looks like we're about to have company. Doxen, you take this healing potion for now. I'd rather keep my guards healthy, and I've got Nyrileen to watch my back in the meantime. If you have no objections of course," he said hastily to the woman.

"Any job for the dog?" Valyv said nonchalantly.

"Erm ... it seems to like Valda, so I suppose it can go with them downstairs and keep watch while they lay as many obstacles and deterrents as they can manage in the time we have."

Valda looked less than enthused, but said nothing.

Belliger rubbed his eyes. Focusing for too long ached with his head injuries, and he was exhausted. But they were nearly done. "I want to hold off on fleeing until they're already prepared to file in here. At that point, we assemble and head out through a window down this other hallway here. It's the way I came in. They march in, we sneak out, and with any luck we'll be clear before they can hope to catch up." He took a deep breath. "Any questions?"




 
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Ronin of the Rebellion [Lancer], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 02:14 AM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The Other Hallway
right-aligned image
There didn’t seem to be any questions among the others as Belliger laid out his hastily concocted plan. Slowing their pursuers seemed a fine idea in everyone’s eyes. Searching the bandit leader more thoroughly, the only thing that Belliger was able to find was a folded piece of parchment with what seemed to be dates and times on it with initials at the bottom: a schedule of some sort.

”My lord?” Doxen asked as he looked first to Belliger, then to Valda, after taking the vial of healing liquid from Belliger. He didn’t otherwise argue, offering Belliger a nod and tucking the potion away. Helping the elder Lord Thorpe to his feet, the two older men moved to the windows to keep a lookout for any bandits coming back from the party down in the main camp.

It was difficult to get a good idea of how many bandits called the camp home. The rooms Belliger had seen in the first hall had only had one person in each, and one of those had just been looking for a place to nap. The main floor was larger, with more rooms, and likely housed most of the rank and file, but there were also outbuildings that could hold even more. They could be overrun if they were caught here, but Belliger had given his orders to try to keep that from happening. Valda and Valyv began pulling the caltrops from their packs and the others, the sharp spikes held in wooden boxes to keep them from tearing free of the pack. The two guardsmen nodded to Belliger, and began heading back downstairs to see to the defenses.

Nyrileen followed Belliger, staying close to the young lord who had just rescued her from a terrible situation. Whether or not she would be much help in a fight remained to be seen, but did not lack for courage. One door after another, the pair moved quietly down the hallway checking on each room in turn. They found no more bandits to their great relief, and only a little more coin, but it seemed that any big haul of ill-gotten gains was elsewhere in the manor. In the last room on the right, at the front of the house opposite where Belliger had climbed in, Nyrileen pointed out the window .

”Stables are down there,” she was pointing down towards a small covered area off the main floor, closest to the river. The elf shrugged, ”At least that’s where this lot keeps their horses.”

From the window Belliger could see Near where Valda had been hiding beforethe small stone bridge leading away from the main camp and back towards the main road. Between torches marking both ends of it, and a complete lack of cover, anyone using the bridge would be spotted easily, but it was also the most direct way out of this place and back to civilization. The singer looked under the bed for anything of value, more to keep herself busy than in hopes of finding riches, but came away empty-handed. She had however secured a small sword in a previous room that she held tightly in her right hand as she wandered about the room, jumping at every creaking floorboard or gust of wind outside.

The survey of the second hallway had been the least eventful part of the manor grounds thus far, though it did offer a few options for Belliger and the others. They had more than enough rope to rappel out the rear windows of the manor, or The lattice broke on the way in and is held up by the vines growing on itout the window he had come in. There were still two more rooms down that hall to check out, or they could simply go downstairs and take the front door, though that left them the most exposed.


__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 07:28 PM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
The bird with the words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 28th, 2021
RPXP: 7911
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 2,481
Belliger
right-aligned image
Belliger would discern the meaning of the bandit leader's schedule later, and determine whether it could be relevant to him or his group in any way.

He was disappointed to not find any more caches of valuables in their sweep of the second floor, but not unsurprised. When Nyrileen pointed out her potential escape route, he said indignantly, "Well, yes, but I still like my original idea of going down the way I came in. I could get in that way undetected just fine, I just needed to climb the tre-" Belliger halted, remembering the trellis was now broken and barely held aloft after his ascent. So his special entryway was no more special than any other way out. He conceded he was only attached to it because it was something he'd found and exploited. He needed to be more flexible than that. "... Horses, you say? More of a racket than I'd like, but I suppose we've already made enough of a ruckus here. Speed is better than stealth once we look to break away."

Finally, it was time to think about escaping. They couldn't keep trying to raid the place - at this point it would start to jeopardise their chances of getting Galan (and themselves) out of here alive. "Alright everyone," he said, "we can't waste any more time here. This window Nyrileen's found is above the stables. Here's what we do. Once they start trying to break the front door down, we take flight out here, rappel down and help ourselves to some horses. We can't go back the way we came on account of the ridge, but we can circle 'round the outbuildings to keep from catching the attention of that party over there, bolt over the bridge, veer off the road when we're out of sight, and double back to the horses we rode in with on top of the ridge in the woods. From there, we pick through the forest and rejoin the main road where it's safe. That way we reclaim our horses and supplies and avoid the straight chase."

He threw the nondescript cloak back over himself. It may not help much with stealth, but it would make him a tiny bit less conspicuous as being of lordly stock. He threw another one of the cloak over to Galan to do the same. "Rug up, Uncle. We want your face and form more concealed so they don't target you first." After some thought, he threw the third cloak to Nyrileen. She seemed healthy and a lesser priority in terms of escaped prisoners than the Thorpe patriarch, so that was perhaps just a gentleman's courtesy drilled into him.


OOCSorry I've dragged my feet, I've been sick the past few days.

I totally forgot the trellis broke, thanks for the reminder.

I'm assuming there's no spot along the river shallow enough for the horses the trudge across, so we'll prepare to leave, wait until the front doors are actually breached, then shimmy down and bolt across the bridge with the horses, taking care not to get too close to the area in the outbuildings hosting the party until we can't hide any longer.


 
__________________
RUNNING: Omega Blue [SWN], Ronin of the Rebellion [Lancer], Do Good in the World [FATE] | WORLDBUILDING: Ethereal Lands

Last edited by HotsuSama; Dec 19th, 2020 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 07:58 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 27th, 2021
RPXP: 5933
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 3,272
 


The Plan
right-aligned image
”There are three bridges between us and the road south,” Nyrileen said as she glanced over her shoulder out the window. Huddled together in the bedroom nearest the stables, Nyrileen kept her voice low as she spoke, sharing what little she knew of the place. ”This one was the main entrance to the estate, but there was a smaller bridge down by the fires for servants and the like. Just beyond that bridge, is another big bridge that crosses over to the west side of the river where the road runs all the way to the trade road.”

With a weary smile the elf moved first to
Dice Cure Wounds:
1d8+2 (4)+2 Total = 6
Doxen and then
Dice Cure Wounds:
1d8+2 (8)+2 Total = 10
Belliger, laying her hands upon their shoulders and reciting a bit of elven poetry. Her words lifted the spirits, but it was the subtle magics that undid a little of the hurt the two stubborn men had suffered in rescuing her. She swayed on her feet ever-so-briefly before steadying herself and taking a deep breath and nodding to Belliger and the others.

”People headed this way,” Valyv intoned from the window where he kept watch on the grounds in front of the manor house. Stumbling, laughing, singing, and shouting they came towards the old house in a large group, perhaps twenty strong. In a few minutes this place would be crawling with bandits spoiling for a fight, though whether or not they were in any shape to fight was debatable. Drunk or not, they had the numbers to win a fight here on their turf if it came to it and everyone knew it. ”A lot of people.”

Valda finished tying the assembled ropes to the frame of a heavy oak bed, leaving the coiled ropes on the window sill for when the moment came. ”Lord Belliger, you and Valyv should go down first. You’re the best rider among us and can settle the horses while he watches your back. Doxen will follow while the dog and I secure the door so the others can get out, and then I’ll follow. By the time they figure it out we’ll be charging hard down the road towards Cabalan.”


OOCNo worries, it’s a rough time of year for everyone.

Definitely not a river you could cross.

Since the plan is fairly well laid out, I’m going to narrate through it with some die rolls.


Out the window, and over the bridge, to Belliger’s house they go...
left-aligned image
Belliger watched the bandits approaching the front entrance, before climbing out the window and beginning his rapid descent. The roar of the river helped to muffle the sounds of their escape as they went, the others not as stealthy as their leader. The improvised stables, likely once an area for unloading carts filled with supplies for the kitchen, were exactly where Nyrileen said. Moreover, the horses inside were already saddled and ready to go; apparently horsemanship was not a necessary skill for this bunch. At least the horses seemed calm, likely having grown used the din of the river, or gone deaf from it, and Belliger was able to collect them with ease.

”Intruders!”

The call to arms was audible even to Belliger and Valyv, though none of the bandits came back out the front. In the window, Belliger could make out two figures arguing back and forth before disappearing from view, at which point Nyrileen came down the ropes. Next came Galan, wrapped up in a rug and lowered down by Doxen like so much cargo, before the old guard followed him down and began loading that cargo onto a horse. It was clear that Galan was unconscious, and perhaps for the best as they had little time to waste calming him down. Perhaps it was not the best career move for Doxen, but he’d rather be looking for work than dead in the woods.

Cries came from the window above, and barking from the dog, before a scream of pain. Glancing back up, those on the ground saw Valda’s spear fly from the window to the ground at their feet before the man himself came leaping out just ahead of a blade. He caught the rope and swung back hard into the side of the house, but didn’t let it slow him down as he cast a last look up at the window. Limping over to retrieve his weapon, Valda retrieved it as Valyv sent a crossbow bolt at figures emerging from the door, and then another for good measure.

With all six of the riders mounted, or strapped down in Galan’s case, Belliger led them out onto the stone bridge in single file even as horns started to sound behind them. If there was any doubt about their need for speed, it no longer remained as the horns blared again and again, pushing the awakening horses to greater speed. The road curved right around to the southwest, and the riders could see torches bobbing along pathways towards the footbridge, the bandits intent on cutting them off. Behind them came barking, as the large hound caught up with them and then rushed ahead, having made it clear of the bandits blades. Then as quickly as it had appeared, Creatures from the bag of tricks disappear at dawnthe dog disappeared into a puff of pale green mist, and only Belliger’s tight control of his horse kept it from spooking.

The stone bridge came into view ahead of them, as did the footbridge off to the right, and shortly they would be clear of this place. Belliger in the lead could see better than a dozen bandits lit by torches, nearly close enough for arrows, but what he didn’t see were guards at the stone bridge. Such an improbability might have given the young lord cause for concern, as hooves pounded over the second stone bridge, but instead Belliger was forced to rein in his horse hard as he came close to colliding with another rider dressed all in black.

As the other horses bunched up behind Belliger, the rider in the road pulled back his hood to reveal the harsh features of Eindan Thorpe. He looked Belliger over, before giving him a nod of approval and raising his white-gloved hand, a signal to the twenty other riders hidden along the road who emerged and formed up around him. Suddenly the lack of perimeter guards made a good deal more sense to the young lord, as he watched his father give orders to the leader of the mounted riders.

Eidan glanced down with some contempt at his elder brother as the man began to stir, trussed up like an uncooperative fool, then gave another signal to the men with him that sent them streaming about the six newcomers to charge into the oncoming bandits. Caught off-guard and unprepared, the bandits were cut down in short order, and the riders continued pressing forward. Drawing his own blade, Belliger’s father offered him another nod and perhaps a hint of a smile, ”Wait here, son.”

Without another word Lord Eindan Thorpe spurred his mount after his men, not content to wait out the fighting, but wise enough to let them do most of the dangerous work. Astride their horses the six riders found themselves alone on the road, stunned by the sudden change of circumstances as the bandits were crushed in Eindan’s trap. An incredulous Valyv glanced at Valda, Belliger, Doxen, Nyrileen, and finally back at Belliger before breaking the silence, ”Bahamut b'damned, were we the bait?”
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day

Last edited by Starflier; Dec 24th, 2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB