Game Thread Wrack and Runes - Page 19 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: N-R > Reluctant Heroes
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 05:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 477
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
Shaylyn did not care at all what Sir Raymon thought of her and he could shove his resentment where the sun did not shine. She just stood there silently watching and when the new arrivals come she takes them in. When she hears Cometas ask what part of the loot the church gets, her dual-colored eyes looked over at him.

"None," she says, her voice void of any emotion as usual. "This does not pertain to you or the church. This," as she motions to the loot. "pertains to us," as she motions to her group that was there fighting. "And we will decide what will be done with it." Once again she did not flower her words at all. That was just her. She saw no need to waste time dancing around things to be diplomatic. She was not about to let some clergy come in and dictate what was to be giving to the church, nor was she going to allow him to just waltz in and take over either.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 12:41 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1016
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Ulric puts the +2 bracers on and, since no one has mentioned healing the gaping wound in his stomach, he drinks a cure moderate wounds potion.
When Laufy says the door is magically locked Ulric nods and grunts. “It is as I suspected. If we are lucky they sent most of their force to the wall, hoping the locked door would stop us. We need to get through this quickly. Father Liam, if you would help me, we can start battering it down while the others look for useful items from what the enemy had.”

As Ulric and Father Liam pick up the bench he hears Sir Jacques say the Eflam should pick next. Ulric glances in their direction and notices the looks Sir Raymon and Ragar have on their faces. “I agree. He gave us a view of the battlefield that we had no other way of getting, which is just as important and anything the rest of us did.”

“Father, when we feel we are close to getting through the door we need to pause to make sure everyone else is ready. I still think we want to have a killing pocket set up, in case they rush us as soon as the door is down. You and I can anchor the pocket on each side of the door, since we are standing here anyway.” Ulric leans his axe against the wall where he can grab it quickly. “If we just drop the bench anyone charging through the door may trip over it, which would be nice. I don’t actually think they will charge us, but we might as well be prepared.”

As Ulric and Father Liam get ready to start ramming the door Shaylyn comes back from the other room, followed by a large group of reinforcements. He notices the tension and that Sir Jacques and Ragar look ready to fight Sir Raymon and he winces. They have more important things to do than fight among themselves. Instead of intervening Ulric trusts Sir Jacques to be able to handle his own companion. When he sees Sir Hines come in Ulric grins. “Sir Hines! I found that wine promised you. Once we clear this rabble out of the fort we can enjoy it.”

Well met Ulric, I am Father Cometas of St. Abelard. We have come to reinforce you and hopefully force our way in this way. They are stymied at the walls. Without siege weapons or ladders, I doubt they will have much success there. What is all this? What part is tithed to the Church?

"None," she says, her voice void of any emotion as usual. "This does not pertain to you or the church. This," as she motions to the loot. "pertains to us," as she motions to her group that was there fighting. "And we will decide what will be done with it."

Ulric nods a greeting to Father Cometas and chuckles to himself as he hears Shaylyn’s reply. “She doesn’t say much, but her words are wise.”
“Sir Jacques, would you please arrange the killing pocket we discussed earlier while Father Liam and I try to get through this door? I suspect they will wait for us to come to them, but we might as well be prepared. Now, father, let’s get this door down”

Ulric counts to off a beat so they can get into a rhythm as they start to slam the bench in to the door.

Last edited by Murdoch; Jan 4th, 2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 04:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2838
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
While they are talking and sizing up the benches, Eflam has taken a piece of chalk and drawn several sigils on the door. He steps back, surveying his handiwork, Ulric, I am going to try and shatter the door itself. When that happens, make yourself ready. I am going to need about three more minutes. Be ready in that time. Eflam seems oblivious to the loot and the commotion it is causing. Ulric can tell the young man is focused on his task. Sir Hines face shines with sweat as he moves up, motioning others to join them and take position. Sir Hines nods in greeting, staying silent but making a drinking motion and pointing at Ulric. Sir Hines glances over at the spread equipment and gear, but doesn't walk over there and doesn't say anything as he moves to where Ulric and Father Liam want him.

Shaylyn and Father Cometas stare at each other for several long seconds that seem like minutes. Shaylyn watches the man, waiting for him to reach for the mace, tucked in his belt. She watches him measuring the other men. He slowly, and reluctantly lowers his head as he realizes more of these men back her than him, As you wish Lady, I meant no disrespect nor do I wish to look so greedy as to take what I have not earned. It was my error thinking soldiers of the Saints had taken this room. Shaylyn senses no spell in his voice, but she can tell those Knights, those who follow the Saints, are now having second thoughts about who to support. Enough of this, we still have foes to fight and orc to kill. We will gather and take this gear with us and parse it out later, for now, we have more deadly work before us. Father Cometas, have you met Ulric and Father Liam? Come, I will introduce you, says Sir Jacques as he leads Father Cometas and two other knights over to Ulric.
Shaylyn watches them move away, senses movement near her and looks to see Vicar Odo standing next to her, sword out ready to fight for her. That was most disrespectful on his part Shaylyn. If you have need of me to stand for you, I will gladly do so. I would be honored. Here in this place, you...please I mean no disrespect, here in this place, you are perfectly capable, but in the Norman courts and those of Flanders and such, you would have no standing, you would need someone of position to speak for you, to stand for you. That is what I meant by standing for you. Hopefully that will never come about. Odo moves to follow Sir Jacques and the others over to the door.

Ulric takes one of the healing potion and drinks about a quarter of the blueish-pink liquid. The potion is thick and creamier than expected, tasting like melted butter and cinnamon. He feels movement in his wounds and looks as the skin folds and closes and heals leaving no scars. He is momentarily dizzy, but it quickly passes. Ulric feels relaxed and more at ease than he has in some time. He sees Sir Jacques bringing Father Cometas and two other norman knights, Ulric, we have help. This is Good Father Cometas, Sir Tibbald, and Sir Agwold. Where do you want them for attacking the door?
Shaylyn moves over towards the door as well. Carlo and Narvin stand quietly next to each other. She can see Narvin sign to her,four orc, two lizard men, one ogre waiting. She watches Ulric set the men in position. Eflam, the young mage is doing well, much better than expected. She has seen shatter sigils before and his are well crafted. They will turn the door to splinters but not explode and blind and deafen everyone.
Elfam looks back, checking on Ulric. Eflam flattens his hand, touches his forehead, stomach and shoulders...

OOC-Where do Shaylyn and Ulric want to position themselves? Eflam is going to destroy the door. roll for combat if that is your choice and also feel free to have any conversation or make another action if you want. Ulric is full and still has 2/3rds of his potion left.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Shaylyn did not flinch, nor back down as she just stared right back at Cometas. When she hears him speak, she replies, [Elven]"Raug flos."

When Odo comes over to her and speaks, she looks up at him as she listens to what he says. She just nods in response, understanding what he was saying.

She nods in response to Narvin's message as she replies, - I will provide cover fire. I am in no shape for close combat. -

She readies her bow and waits.

Last edited by Tigra; Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
When Eflam says he will shatter the door Ulric nods. "That's a much better idea than father Liam and I hitting it with a bench until it breaks. I might just have to start taking you with me wherever I go," he says, slapping Eflam lightly on the shoulder.

When the potion flows through him Ulric marvels at his closing wounds. With enough of these, he thinks, I could fight all day long.

Ulric clasps the hands of each of the men as Sir Jacques introduces them. "It's good to have you here. We don't know how many of the enemy are on the other side of the door, but we do know they have magic. I don't think they will rush us when the door comes down, but I want to prepare for that by setting up melee fighters in a semi circle around the door. That way we limit them to only being able to get one or two through the door at a time and each of them can be attacked by several men at once. We can station people with missile weapons behind the melee fighters and we can even have them stand on the benches or the tables to get enough height to fire over the front rank. Now that you are here we even have enough people to have someone fill any holes made in the event that someone in the front line falls. If the enemy is not kind enough to rush into our prepared position, we will just have to meet them in the hallway or other room, whatever is on the other side of the door. If they have set up in a defensible position like we are doing, we definitely don't move into it. In that case we stand back and fire missile weapons through the door and hope we can overwhelm them with our numbers and hopefully superior magic. I think the killing pocket I want to set up can be accomplished with six people. Sir Tibbald and Sir Agwold, would you be so kind as to anchor the circle by standing on either side of the door? I will stand directly in front of the door and the rest of the spots can be filled by Sir Jacques, Ragar, and Byrda. I want several spears or javelins, whatever we have, placed at the ready so those of us in the front rank with a view through the door can throw them if necessary."

Ulric directs everyone to where he wants them, but he will leave standing on the benches or tables up to those using missile weapons. He doesn't know how stable those objects will be and he's not sure if standing on them is even a good idea. He takes his place in front of the door, holding his axe in his left hand and spear in his right, ready to drop or throw the spear, whichever is appropriate. When Eflam is ready he makes sure everyone else is ready as well.

Last edited by Murdoch; Jan 6th, 2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Eflam grins at Ulric's jesting and steps away, letting the Knights and soldiers take up their positions. Eflam walks back and joins Nemela and Shaylyn towards the back of the room. Shaylyn would notice several of the Knights and Father Cometas watching him. Father Cometas sees Eflam greet Nemela and she hands him a waterskin, which he readily accepts. Father Cometas and the Knights turn back to the door, making themselves ready.
Laufy walks up to Ulric, touches him on the shoulder and walks away without saying a thing. Ulric feels a warmths spreading through him, loosening his muscles and joints, making him quicker and more ready. Laufy joins Shaylyn and Eflam at the back of the room and sets her flute to her lips and starts playing. Both Shaylyn and Ulric immediately hear Laufy and feel the song flowing through them, inspiring them and giving them courage.
Ulric strides to the front of the door. The knights and clerics around him all stand ready. He is healed now, the potion taking away his hurts. Laufy's song invigorates him and her spell earlier has him on his toes, ready to attack. He looks around at the men he just met. He didn't have much time to get to know them. Sir Tibbald and Sir Agwold eagerly accepted their places in the front of battle. Watching them, Ulric knew they were no strangers to battle. Byrda takes her place alongside Ragar and Sir Jacques. In the second line is Father Cometas, carrying a long handled flanged mace with a squire beside him. The squire is no stranger to combat either. Looking at them, Ulric would believe the squire knows more about fighting the good Father. Ulric gives Elfam the signal and the door hisses, smokes and then completely splinters into finger size pieces.
Ulric finds himself staring at a lean, lizard, grey skinned lizard man and a half-orc in splint mail. He can see others shapes behind those two.

OOC-Roll for initiative and combat, Laufy gave Ulric +4 to his dex and then both Shaylyn and Ulric have +1 to their att and dam rolls due to Laufy's song.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Shaylyn was not sure how this was going to go. All she could do was provide cover fire for the frontline fighters. She draws back on her bow waiting for the door to shatter. The moment she gets a line of sight on a target, she releases her arrow.

Last edited by Tigra; Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 02:25 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ulric smiles as Laufy touches his arm and walks away. With the potion healing his wounds and whatever Laufy just did for him, Ulric feels invigorated and ready for battle. As her song fills the room Ulric feels a confidence flow through him and he grins in anticipation of the battle to come. "Remember," he says, "when the door is down we let them come to us, if they will do so. If not, we hit them with missile fire first. Sir Tibbald, Sir Angwold, from your vantage points you should be able to see to the sides of the doorway. Let us know if they have some sort of trap set for us. Hopefully we will have the advantage with missile fire and they will have to either charge into our defenses or retreat. Either way, let's deal with them as quickly as we can. I want to get outside and see if we can open the gates for the rest of our forces."

Ulric feels great pride that the soldiers are listening to him, especially since he has no authority over any of them and he doesn't have much of a connection to the Normans. Just before the door comes apart he sends a prayer to Ull under his breath. "Ull, please let my plan work so I don't fail the warriors following me into battle."

When the door shatters Ulric will wait to see if the enemy will charge into the room. If they do he will drop his spear and attack whoever is the first through the door. If not, he will throw his spear at the lizard man.

OOC: I will provide all of the various possible rolls so you can use whichever ones are appropriate.

Last edited by Murdoch; Jan 11th, 2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 07:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Shaylyn peers through the darkened doorway. Just past the lizard man and half orc in splint are two seven foot creatures covered in dark, reddish orange fur. Shayly quickly identified them as quaggoths, creatures of the underdark often used by drow as guards and spider handlers. Quaggoths were said to be immune to all poisons. They also had reputations for going into rages in battle. Shaylyn shot one of them first, sinking her arrow deep into the creatures in the shoulder. The quaggoth let loose a loud, painful howl that filled the room.
Ulric steps back, readying himself for the lizard man's attack. He knew as soon as he saw it, the creature was going to attack him. While the half orc looked momentarily surprised, the lizard leaped almost immediately at Ulric. Ulric stepped up, felt his arm move as the bracer blocked the lizard's man spear. Ulric caught the creature in the air, hacking into the chest and sending it spinning to the ground. The half-orc regained his senses and moved to attack. He stabbed at Ulric, and again Ulric felt the bracers move his arm, blocking the half-orc's sword from gutting him. Ulric swung, his axe sliding off the splint mail. Right after the half-orc, a large, bear like creature came roaring out. Ulric could smell the thing as it attacked Sir Tibbald, tearing off the knight's helm and knocking the man to the floor. Ragar and Byrda step up at the same time. Byrda stabs the thing in the stomach and Ragar chops into it's shoulder with his axe. The two of them push the thing back into another one trying to get out. Sir Agwold stabs his sword into the beast man's kidney, dropping it to the floor. Sir Agwold is then shield bashed by the half-orc fighting Ulric as the half-orc tries to retreat. Only there are two more orcs in the doorway and behind them a few more.

OOC-Next round, Ulric and Shaylyn are unscathed, Ulric has the half-orc in splint and a Quaggoth he can attack. Behind the half-orc are at least three orcs. One Quaggoth is dead, and two others are badly wounded and about to rage, same as a barbarian would.

Last edited by Rasgorn; Jan 15th, 2021 at 04:17 AM.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 12:08 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ulric was a little surprised but pleased when the lizard man and others leapt through the door immediately. He thought the enemy would take a moment to see the defenses they had prepared and they would end up trading missile fire for a while, but they obliged him by rushing forward. His wise choice of the bracers is immediately apparent when they move his arms and allow him to block multiple attacks. A fierce joy rises through him as his plan starts to work. The enemy us bottled up in the doorway, unable to advance through them or retreat. He raises his axe to swing at the half-orc, but changes his target to the beast man. The half-orc is using weapons and might be more intelligent, but the beast man is larger and Ulric doesn't want to take a chance that it can bash its way through their front line. As he swings his weapon at the beast man he calls out to his allies. "Sir Hines, move up to support Sir Tibbald. Sir Agwold, if you can see any enemy forces off to the side in the room, please let us know."

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Shaylyn draws back her bow and takes aim as she waits for an opening. When she sees one she fires a volley of arrows.

Last edited by Tigra; Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The shaggy beast man raises his club, preparing to bash Ragar. Ulric switches foes and brings his axe down, slashing completely through the Quaggoth’s shoulder and lopping off the club swinging arm. The beast man turns and stares at Ulric as it falls over. The second quaggoth takes an arrow and then Shaylyn shoots through the creature’s mouth. Her arrow spatters blood and brain matter all over the wall as it rips through the back of the skull. That creature falls too.
Ulric feels his arm swinging down. The bracers seeking to protect him. The half-orc in splint tries to stab him under his ribs. Ulric deflects some of the blow, pushing the long sword down and away from his stomach. The sword instead stabs deeply into his thigh. Ulric hears it hit bone, a wave of nausea following right after. The half-orc presses his advantage and Ulric blocks another stab even as he is falling back. Byrda and Ragar step up. Ragar stabbing with his spear and Byrda blocking with her shield, prevent the half-orc from getting to Ulric as Ulric shakes off the dizziness. Seeing Ulric in trouble, Shaylyn shoots and kills one of the orcs in the doorway. Narvin shoots the half-orc, his bolt though simply snaps against the splint mail.
Father Liam pulls Ulric back, increasing the size of their killing pocket and more orcs flood into the room. The half-orc taps his helm with his sword, his red eyes glaring at Ulric. A spear flies past Shaylyn’s head. It wasn’t meant for her, the spear had glanced off another’s helm. She can see orc runes glowing bright red on the haft. Somewhere close there is an orc shaman casting drow taught magic.
-----
Dar watched Miyuki and her allies slip through the darkness into an old, crumbling Keep that smelled of orc and urine and ruin. Even the wind from the sea and the near constant rain hadn’t washed away the smell. He could see stone pitted from acid, several spots in the wall had holes large enough for an ogre to walk through. Dar followed Miyuki coming in from the East. He knew the sea was somewhere to the west, somewhere close. He couldn’t tell how many foes waited in the Keep, too many for just himself, so he settled into wait. A few hours later he caught sight of a dwarf and two elves moving through the darkness on the west side of the Keep. Dar walked crept around, taking care over the slippery smooth rock and sharp acid pitted stones. When he got to where he saw the dwarf and elves, he found nothing. He searched and searched where he knew he saw them and had to admire their skill at hiding their tracks. He was looking around at the traps they had dismantled or marked when he heard men coming up the same trail as the dwarf and the elf. A group of norman knights and Flemish soldiers walked towards him. An elf was leading them. She looked like one of the elves he had seen earlier. How she slipped past him he didn’t know. She led the troop of fourteen men through the traps and over to the side of a hill and then disappeared. The men followed, not hiding the now not so secret door. Dar waited a half hour, trying to decide what to do when he heard horns blaring in the Keep. Orcs came onto the broken battlements, readying themselves to defend the Keep. Shortly after a second group of men hurried up and through the secret door. Dar followed them, easily avoiding notice as none of them seemed to think to look behind them. They also made quite a bit of noise. Following the men, he came to a wine cellar and then a larger room with a wall sized tapestry at the far end. Beyond the tapestry he could hear screaming and roaring and the smell of blood and sweat that could only come from battle. Slipping up to the tapestry and peeking around, he saw one of the elves he had seen earlier, calmly duck a rune covered spear and then shoot an orc dead. The men had formed a defensive pocket around a door, creating a killing zone for the orcs coming out. Dar’s eyes narrowed when he saw the Drow runes of harm burned blood red along the spear’s shaft.

OOC-Ulric took ten points of damage from the half-orc, Shaylyn and Dar are unscathed. Dar roll for perception and Shaylyn roll for listen and spot. Next round
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 07:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 370
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Vardariannanur looks on in bewilderment, trying to sort out what is going on. He takes out his bow but does not fire, trying to determine friend from foe. "Well, sure as sunshine the Orcs be bad and that Drow enmagicked spear is a bad sign too" he thinks to himself.

Last edited by Ildrahil; Jan 16th, 2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 08:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Shaylyn watched what was going in, taking everything in. She did not even flinch when the spear when flying past her. She drew back on her bow, readying to fire another volley of arrows.

Last edited by Tigra; Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ulric laughs when the beast man falls, the freedom and joy of battle fully upon him. His laugh abruptly in a grunt of pain when the half orc stabs him in the leg. As he falls back he quickly thinks how grateful he is to have taken the bracers, since they are what kept the wound from being even more devastating. With Father Liam's aid Ulric climbs back to his feet. He finds that his leg will hold his weight, but not without pain. No matter, he thinks. Pain is a part of battle and he can bear it. Looking up, he sees the half orc that wounded him glaring at him and taping its helmet, as if in salute. Ulric raises his axe in a return salute, grins at his enemy, and steps back into the fray, swinging at the half orc.

Last edited by Murdoch; Jan 16th, 2021 at 12:15 PM.