Game Thread Chapter 1, Part III: Incident at Absalom Station - Phantoms of the Drift - Page 10 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Starfinder > Dead Suns > Player Archives
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 11:54 PM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
The Drift Rock, Absalom Station Space, 4/29/317Once the data pad is powered and the team is all together again, Grix sets about hacking it--an extraordinarily anticlimactic endeavor given the extremely outdated security measures in place. The ysoki has the distinct feeling that even her venerable grandmother would laugh at this encryption. The data pad itself has a few equally outdated and mostly useless hacking and encryption applications, a few photos that look like they were taken inside this facility--no creatures are in the photos. There is also a hologram file entitled "Last Will and Testament." Getting a nod from the others, she opens it.

right-aligned image
With a slight flicker, the data pad's holoprojector lights up and the ghostly blue 3D image of a woman appears in the air just above it. She is a stern-looking but beautiful human, her tied-back hair giving her a serious mien. Despite her air of authority and self-possession, a few hairs out of place and sweat running down her cheek suggest that she had been hard pressed shortly before the message was recorded. She begins to speak:

"To whoever should find this datapad, my name is Moriko Nash, Captain of the Sunrise Maiden. On the Nearly 75 years agothird of Sarenith, 242 AG, while returning from a supply run to A near space world colonized by the Pact WorldsZeres, I encountered this asteroid in the drift. I spotted a wide cave beneath an overhang of rock with what looked like an artificial floor on the interior--a very well concealed hangar bay. Curiosity got the better of me and I put in with my first mate Romari and Zelk, my gunner. At first, the place looked abandoned. Some chunk off a planet or something, definitely not Pact Worlds. The computers made no sense and we couldn't figure out the purpose of the place." At this point, Nash begins to breathe heavily, some distress showing in her eyes.

"That's when we were attacked. I don't know what it was, but the skeletons should have been a warning. This... thing... it moved right through walls. It cut Romari in two with one bite and seemed to drain energy right out of my body. Zelk gave it a few good whacks and tangled with it, but it was no use. It gutted her like a A meaty freshwater fish native to Castrovel and prized by sports fishermen.quispis! When it came for me, all I could do was reset my forcefield to extend in a bubble around me. It couldn't get in, but I couldn't fire at it either. I think it knew the battery would eventually run out because it herded me deeper into the facility and waited. I barricaded myself here in this locker... but it's only a matter of time before it gets to me."

"I think I've come to terms with it. I won't survive. It was a good run--I've explored strange worlds and seen wonders I never could have dreamed of as a child. All things come to an end. I've always been the master of my fate and that is not going to change now." Captain Nash holds up her pistol. "When my force field goes down, I'll fight. But I'm saving the last charge for myself. My life, my death."

"This is my last will and testament. To whoever finds this recording, I leave the Sunrise Maiden to you. She's a hell of a ship, and no matter where I've gone, she always brought me home... until now. If you treat her right, she'll do the same for you. Leave my body where you found it. I came from the stars and to the stars I'll return. But the Maiden deserves to keep flying." Moriko Nash takes a deep breath, and the recording ends.

When the hologram of Moriko Nash blinks out, there is a light fuzz of static in your headsets and each of you is certain you hear a ghostly voice whisper: "...free..."

"Fascinating, Ambassador Nor says thoughtfully, breaking the silence. So the crew of the Acreon were not the first Pact Worlders to discover the asteroid in the Drift. It is likely that discovering her body and finding her final message is what was required to free Captain Nash's soul. Often when one dies in utter isolation, it is the need for some kind of contact with the living, some acknowledgement or sharing of their experience, that their restless soul needs to move on." If the ambassador heard the ghostly voice a moment earlier, he gives no indication.

"We shall look into whether Captain Nash has any surviving kin, but her will is quite clear that you six are the inheritors of her ship, should you find it in working condition. Based on what she said, it sounds like the ship may be close. But I am concerned. The creature she described... the description did not sound like an akata to me. Proceed with caution, team."

* * *


OOGMAnd with that, ladies and gentlemen, I would like you all to level up your characters and let me know what options you choose for Level 3.



If and when you find the Sunrise Maiden, the party will be its legal owners.

 



CharacterColorsKACEACStamina PtsHit PtsResolve PtsAmmoCondition/EffectNotes
MatsuBlue/Green151416/1618/183/46/6 and 18/20none---
VettePink/Black161418/1813/204/5NAnone---
MendevBlue/Orange141516/1614/162/39/9 and 13/20none---
GrixYellow/Red151612/1214/144/57/20none---
AjaPurple/Teal151212/1216/163/416/20none---
T'aroGreen/Blue131214/1418/183/413/20none---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	89522  

Last edited by ruffdove; Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:58 PM.
  #137  
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 03:05 AM
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 2340
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Posts: 498
MatsuMatsu watches the holo-vid quietly. "No one has mentioned seeing a hanger, Ambassedor, could you ships have a look for one from the outside? Maybe knowing it's there will make it easier to find, and then we'd have some idea which way to go?"




 
  #138  
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 03:18 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 17085
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 4,073
right-aligned image
It was child’s play to get the datapad to display its contents for everyone. While the message played Grix was actually quiet and still. At least up to the very end. When it dawned on her that they had just inherited a ship of their own - at least once they found it - a very broad grin spread across her face. "That… it’s… did you just hear that, too? Our very own ship? That’s like… weeee! I mean… think about it!" She looked from one to the other. [say]Isn’t it awesome? Think what we could go and see and discover and experience![say] She gestured towards the now still image of Moriko. "And we’d be honoring her wishes and her adventurous spirit with it, too!"

The pilot stowed the datapad away in her pack and pointed towards where she had gathered up the terminal earlier. "I’d say that hanger’s gotta be back there. Behind the door we’ve not opened yet. Don’t think that’ll be a problem, either. Come on! Let’s check it out!" In her usual excited way she bustled off in the indicated direction, though the ever so faint smell still hanging in the air warned her that maybe she shouldn’t open the door without anyone else close. There had been word of a thing that could move through walls.


 
  #139  
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 10:45 PM
Khalil's Avatar
Khalil Khalil is online now
Don't quit, don't give up
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2021
RPXP: 13800
Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil Khalil
Posts: 9,338

Mendev stuff the pistol in the back of his waist band. He hated that. Gangers did that, and he didn't usually like gangers. But it wasn't like he had any extra holsters. He then collected the ampules and passed them over to T'aro. He began thinking about how he was going to be taking the dead body out of the cubby hole, when Aja suggested they not. Mendev stopped, shrugged, and nodded.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Come let us go see what the others found. He started to leave the cubby but stopped, turned back and pulled the brown force shield. Mendev's eyes looked around and then he nodded.

Mendev made his was back out and moved towards the others. In his mind he thought of the whole scenario. Ghosts, undead, and alien snake head beasts. He shivered for a moment and in his mind he replayed the scene where the woman had seemingly taken her life. Mendev thought it odd that the hatch had not had the claw marks he had seen on the Acreon. Still the woman had been scared enough... He reasoned.

He put the thought aside as he approached and looked over Grix's shoulder. Mendev knew only enough about computers to get him some low level fake ID's when needed. What he saw Grix do was not surprisingly way above his skill level.

When the hologram popped up, Mendev had one insidious thought. She was beautiful... As he listened, that thought would surface on top of his mind no matter how many times he tried to stay focused on business.

The bounty hunter found the whole thing quite sad and pitiful. He thought of his missing family and how they could have been in a similar situation and that is why they disappeared. Whatever it was, Mendev made himself a promise to bring it down.

Yeah... Mendev forced a smile, at Grix enthusiasm. It was hard not to get wrapped up with it. Still, Mendev's mind was still thinking of the danger they could possibly be in. He already knew what an Akata could do. Whatever this thing was, ...it doesn't matter. It's going to die. He forced himself to think in order to drown out the worries.

Mendev looked to Matsu and reached back into his waist band. Captain Nash, had this... charge is empty, but I have an extra battery pack. My last one. Mendev pops the battery button to recover the old pack and stuffs that one into his cargo pocket after examining it. Simultaneously he pulls his last battery pack and packs it into the arc pistol. He offers it to Matsu.

Let's not get too excited just yet. The captain here had three with her, and they got slaughtered. We are only double that. Let's take account of what we have. Then we can make a plan. The halls the way back are small and restrictive, but if we need to fall back, its an option. Unfortunately those eggs are still up there, but if we B-line it back to the lift we can potentially cut off pursuit by any further akatas. Mendev looks down to Grix and then to Aja. Think one of you can rig us a charger out of all this stuff, or maybe scavenge up a few battery packs? I also found this on the Captain. It's old, but it might work. Kept her alive long enough anyways. Maybe it can be attached to one of yall's suit.




Notes








 
__________________
Working on updates!

Last edited by Khalil; Feb 11th, 2021 at 10:47 PM.
  #140  
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 02:27 AM
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 2340
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Posts: 498
MatsuMatsu weighs the pistol that killed the nice lady in his hand, before swapping it out with the Azimuth in his holster, and putting the azimuth, back in his pack. "Thanks"

"Heading back is one option, and catch out lift via the mining ship. But Grix is right, we could head forward and see if we can fly off this rock?"




 
  #141  
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Unko Talok's Avatar
Unko Talok Unko Talok is offline
Peace, Love, and Gaming
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 19060
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Posts: 14,588
T'aro
right-aligned image
Credit to Raul Vilela
T'aro was a bit disappointed that they weren't able to identify the Ampules for the party. But once back on the Acreon, they would likely have little trouble identifying them with the aid of time and resources.

One hearing the video, though, T'aro became even more fascinated. To be truly, entirely isolated! It was bad enough for T'aro to lack the Hive. But that... "The poor woman..." they say. "To be without anyone beside her in those moments..." The idea so shakes T'aro that, at first, they don't quite understand the magnitude of the will and testament. The party's own ship? So what?... Did they not have the Acreon to live on?... Could they not secure transport wherever they needed to go?... T'aro had "owned" and "commanded" a ship before. As part of the hivemind. It wasn't T'aro's body, exactly, of course...

As T'aro thought about it, though, they realized that those memories, like all memories through the Hive, were of a very different quality. They wouldn't be able to replicate the things that others had done. They hadn't learned how to pilot or command a ship, not really. All they had really done as part of the hive was work as a lowly technician. The idea that they might be able to experience it all first-hand?... And to choose their own response instead of simply following the dictates of the hive? "Yes! We should find this vessel. It would be so very nice to be a part of a hi-- crew." T'aro was only just able to catch themselves. They weren't sure how the party would like being thought of as a hive.

"The creature that took Captain Nash' life, though, sounds quite dangerous..." T'aro tried to think for a moment about such creatures-- if they had ever heard of or read about such a beast, and whether or not there was anything the party could do to defend against it... or resolve things peacefully.



 


OOC/Mechanics Not 100% sure what kind of check is best for the question T'aro is thinking on. It might not be answerable without computers research, which we don't have time for. But if a Life Sci or Survival check will tell us anything, here we go! If survival is more appropriate, just add +1 to the following roll.

Dice Life Sci:
1d20+7 (7)+7 Total = 14


__________________
The Fickle Tendrils of Fate | Site Rules & Help | Become a Community Supporter
Black Lives Matter - Gay and Trans rights are human rights.
she/her/hers
AFK 20May-22May. Ten Year Anniversary!

  #142  
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Runetide's Avatar
Runetide Runetide is offline
Runeforger
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2021
RPXP: 5178
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Posts: 1,924
Vette
left-aligned image
Vette
Half-orc space pirate soldier (doshko specialist) Level 2
CG Medium humanoid (human, orc)
Initiative +5; Senses: darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +1
Stamina Points 18/18 Hit Points 17/20 Resolve Points 3/5
EAC 14; KAC 16
Fort +4; Ref +1; Will +3 Defensive Abilities orc ferocity
Speed 35 ft.
Melee cestus battleglove +6 (1d4+4 Blud; analog) or
. . tactical doshko +6 (1d12+4 Pier; unwieldy, analog)
Ranged azimuth laser pistol +3 (1d4 Fire; burn 1d4) or
. . smoke grenade +6 (explode [20 ft., smoke cloud 1 minute, DC 29])
Offensive Abilities primary fighting style (blitz)
Str 18 (+4); Dex 12 (+1); Con 13 (+1); Int 10 (+0); Wis 10 (+0); Cha 10 (+0)
Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +9, Culture +1, Engineering +4 (1 ranks), Intimidate +7, Perception +1; (reduce the DC of Culture checks by 5 when recalling information about black market locations, known smugglers, and notorious space pirates)
Feats Toughness
Languages Castrovelian, Common, Drow, Orc
Other Abilities tooth that seeks honor: When you miss an opponent with a melee attack with your doshko, you can grant that doshko the disarm, reach, sunder (Armory 30), or trip weapon special property until the start of your next turn. If you miss again before the start of your next turn, you can grant the doshko an additional special property from the list. You can grant a doshko only two special properties at a time with this ability.
Rapid Response (1st level, Ex): You gain a +4 bonus to initiative checks and increase your land speed by 10 feet.
|Green skinned, this half-orc female sports bleached blonde short-cropped hair and pearly tusks jutting from ruby lips. Endowed in both muscle and charm, she carries herself with the grace of someone used to wearing heavy armor and hauling heavy loads. On her neck is a brand that looked to be a menacing looking sigil, but the details are obscured by a tattooed 'X' over it in black ink. Body language is one of someone who is used to casual violence, but she doesn't aggressively pursue it. Vette has a positive, upbeat attitude that reflects her joy over newfound freedom and life. When relaxing and off-duty, she wears light station clothing, a strange mishmash of outfit pieces and parts seemingly assembled from a number of different people's collections. When at work, however, Vette wears heavy armor that's well maintained, clean... and bright neon pink in color with a logo of a landshark emblazoned on the back in black.

Born a slave on Apostae, Vette is a 8th generation half-orc descendant; a family lineage of both parents being half-orcs going back as long as anyone has record. (mis?)fortune found her as a young girl when she was purchased from the Drow by a space pirate crew, the Black Bulettes. A rough and uncomfortable lot, Vette was kept as a cabin girl and general laborer until she was old enough to start taking part in actual piracy. There was when she started to shine. Using her speed, strength, and toughness, she became one of the Black Bulette's best boarding crew. Several years and many successful raids later, she had amassed a fair amount of her own wealth. The Black Bulettes weren't only ship-raiding pirates, however. They had worked out a organic relationship with several of the businesses in the area, including the local asteroid-mining crews of the Diaspora, who were under the Captains express orders to leave them be... as long as they were willing to let some of the crew berth in their shipyards and docks every once and a while when the ship was far away.
[Expendables][Armor][Weapons][Foodstuffs][Augmentations][Key Items][Equipment]
Healing Serum mk 1 (x3) Hidden Soldier Armor Tactical Doshko -- Pressurized Lungs Credstick (908) Datapad
Smoke Grenades mk 1 (x2) -- Azimuth Laser Pistol (16/20) -- -- -- Personal Comm
-- -- Cestus Battleglove -- -- -- Engineering Toolkit
-- -- -- -- -- -- Starstone Compass
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
-- -- -- -- -- -- --


The last will and testament makes Vette feel much more excited than usual. "Whew!" she exclaims, pumping her fist. "Achievement unlocked! Way more satisfying to be given a ship instead of taking it..."

She looks over the stuff that's been collected, and gestures to the force field unit Mendev offers. "I really could use that, if it'll help keep the thing that was here off me long enough to kill it. Though... is it still around? It's been 75 years, right?" She checks the teeth on her Doshko. "I'm only worried that it won't get hurt by my Doshko if it can go through walls and ****."
__________________
Posting Status: Ready to play again.
  #143  
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 11:32 PM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
The Drift Rock, Absalom Station Space, 4/29/317"So far, our ships have only scanned the asteroid from afar, Mr. Soryn," Ambassador Nor says in response to Matsu's question. "There are several rock overhangs that could conceal open hangars... including one near your position. Right now the ASG ships are on quarantine patrol or linked up with the Acreon, so we cannot spare a look just now. But if Captain Nash reported its existence, I see no reason to doubt her." After a pause he continues. "Captain Nash's will is backed by Pact World law, so that ship will be yours if you can find it and recover it. Of course any alien ships in the hangar would be of tremendous interest. Proceed when you are ready."

* * *

Aja activates the door--which operates like the one that led into this facility--and every light and muzzle is fixed on it as it slides away, revealing a dark corridor beyond. There is a stale scent of death on the air, one that Grix sensed earlier but now all can clearly detect. Vette's light illuminates two small heaps of debris partway down the corridor. In one pile, one half of a crushed vesk skull is visible. In the other, you can make out what look like human ribs and a spine. There are also tattered remains of estex suits not unlike the one worn by the mummified corpse of Moriko Nash. A mutilated doshko lies near the remains of the vesk, and a crushed plasma bolter rifle is near what is probably the human skeleton. The bones of each of these victims are scattered or out of place, as though a predator or scavengers were at the bodies. Not all of the bones are accounted for--the human skull being the most conspicuous absence.

On the wall to the left, a chunk of ceramic has been blown away, most likely by an errant plasma bolter shot. The wall beneath is a dark purple composite of some kind. Silver text that does not match the alphabet on the facility's other walls or the computers is scrawled on this wall behind the ceramic plating. The ambassador's drone whirrs in for a closer look and the technomancer translates: "It's a fragment of a sentence. It says 'the weak shall...' And that's all that was uncovered."

After 15 feet, the corridor bends right and ends at a heavy double door. There is a small window in each door. Peering through the dingy glass you can make out a very large room beyond. Although the details are difficult to make out, there is most definitely a Pact World-origin starship in the chamber with a white hull and at least 150 feet in length. Beyond it, you can see an opening and what looks like natural light... possibly the opening of a hangar bay. There are no other ships visible in the hangar, though there are a number of lumps across the floor. The dirty windows and the dim light in the hangar preclude the identification of these objects. Next to the door is a console with a light glowing dull pink and a keypad.

* * *


OOGMGo ahead and post actions pre-door opening if you need to. I rolled Engineering for Aja and she crushed it, so all batteries can be considered charged. Silk, you can describe how she rigged a charging station if you like.

Opening the door with the keypad is a DC 30 computers check (This accounts for the translator's help); bypassing the computer lock is a DC 25 Engineering check.
Also: can everyone please attempt a DC 20 Culture check in the dice thread?


 



CharacterColorsKACEACStamina PtsHit PtsResolve PtsAmmoCondition/EffectNotes
MatsuBlue/Green151427/2725/253/46/6 and 20/20none---
VettePink/Black161427/2720/274/5NAnone1 point force field with 1 fast healing
MendevBlue/Orange141524/2420/222/39/9 and 20/20none---
GrixYellow/Red151618/1820/204/520/20none---
AjaPurple/Teal151218/1822/223/420/20none---
T'aroGreen/Blue131221/2124/243/420/20none---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	89573  

Last edited by ruffdove; Feb 13th, 2021 at 11:34 PM.
  #144  
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 06:02 AM
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 2340
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Posts: 498
Matsu"Acknowledged. Thank you for the detailed reasoning ambassador."

As they move through the door, Matsu rides a wave of the other's anxiety. He's getting used to the raw anticipation from Vette and the slightly more refined excitement from Grix. Aja's hesitancy adds a new nuance, and Taro's inquisitiveness mixes with their fear of having to hurt again. Mendev, well it's disconcerting how much of a blank slate Mendev is. All these feelings flow through Matsu's mind and merge with his own anticipation of what comes next. All in a fleeting moment as he crosses the threshold and sees the destruction wrought by whatever is left hunting them.

"I guess we'll never know what the weak shall. It certainly doesn't describe us." Matsu says, with an air of authority he's not quite feeling.




 
  #145  
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 17085
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 4,073
right-aligned image
Excitement tampered just a little bit by the group’s caution, Grix ventured into the new corridor. The debris and mortal remains fascinated and terrified her to the same degree, but the prospect of the ship ahead made her overlook the latter emotion. Still, she wasn’t too keen on sifting through the detritus and left it at looks.

For just a little while the text grabbed her attention. More in regards to how it had been written on the wall than anything else. Had it been the now dead folks? Had it been there longer? Had it been written there by hand? And with what substance?

Even that, though, took a backseat soon enough, though. They had clearly found hangar doors. And behind them: the ship! Grix had had to jump up and grab onto Vette’s shoulder for a bit to get a look through the little windows, but what she had seen made her eyes shine. Only one pesky little monster to deal with to claim that beauty. "That’s right, Matsu! That sure ain’t us!" she agreed with the lashunta a little belatedly, while hopping down to the ground once more and taking a look at the doors and the controls.

"I’m pretty sure that light means there’s atmo on the other side of the doors. Probably also means a forcefield. Still, might not be a bad idea to have the suits up and our own air supply running. Just in case, eh?"

And as much as she wanted to get to the ship, she held herself back. Let the big folks head in first and draw attention. Then she could better shoot whatever was coming for them.


 
  #146  
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Unko Talok's Avatar
Unko Talok Unko Talok is offline
Peace, Love, and Gaming
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 19060
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Posts: 14,588
T'aro
right-aligned image
Credit to Raul Vilela
Still somewhat frustrated by their failure to identify the Ampules, and with the danger of a possible ethereal, energy-draining opponent nearby, T'aro decides to expend some of their energy to tap into mystical knowledge. Meditating on the threads of the universe that connect all life, they find a little strand which connects to a very knowledgeable mind somewhere far off in the vast area of space. Channeling that being's knowledge, T'aro looks at the ampules with new eyes. T'aro considers spending some magical energy to try to identify the ampules, but decides that it's much better to conserve their energy for whatever risks lie ahead. Instead, they allow their body time to recover, and T'aro replenishes their Stamina, steeling their mind for the possible fights and violence ahead. They feel as though they have learned much in their short time with this strange new hive-- er, Party. But the new and destructive powers and inclinations they have experienced greatly disturb the gentle Shirren.

* * *

Within the hangar, the drone's reconnaissance and the reported words upon the wall. "I remember a fragment from a religious text... a visitor from far, far away in the Galaxy was a follower of it... They had a list of tenants they called Beatitudes... I believe that one was "Blessed are the weak, for they shall inherit the earth." Perhaps the writing comes from that culture?" T'aro has no idea that they've misremembered the fragment. "Though it does not seem like the religion of beings that might build this kind of structure..."

They think on the cultural reference a bit harder, since they surely don't have the connection right.

* * *

(OOC: EDIT, based on culture check)

T'aro recognizes that the pink light is informative. "These lights... Many cultures use colors to indicate safety or danger... I believe that pink might indicate safety-- recall the first door that was opened? It was also pink. I believe that there is atmosphere on the other side. Perhaps a forcefield to keep it in?"



 


OOC/Mechanics Spend a resolve to restore all of my stamina points.

Cast Identify to ID the two ampules (1/round) with a +10 bonus to the check.
Dice Ampule1 Mysticism:
1d20+19 (1)+19 Total = 20

Dice Ampule2 Mysticism:
1d20+19 (2)+19 Total = 21


Nailed the culture check, hit a DC28

__________________
The Fickle Tendrils of Fate | Site Rules & Help | Become a Community Supporter
Black Lives Matter - Gay and Trans rights are human rights.
she/her/hers
AFK 20May-22May. Ten Year Anniversary!


Last edited by Unko Talok; Feb 14th, 2021 at 04:30 PM.
  #147  
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 01:10 AM
Silk's Avatar
Silk Silk is offline
Han Solo shot first!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 13th, 2021
RPXP: 15834
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Posts: 6,173
Aja Miram
right-aligned image
Aja


While Aja is excited to find out she is an owner of a drift capable ship, she does not react so favorably. In fact, she groans and rolls her eyes at the potential list of repairs and upgrades to such an old ship would need before voicing her opinion,

"Great, a who knows how old ship that has been sitting idle for the past 75 years. If the ship went into hibernation mode, and I wonder if ships back then even had the programming to do that. If we suppose the ship is in hibernation mode, and someone didn't leave a microwave on for the past 75 years. In that case, there is still a ton of work that would need to be done before such a ship could be considered spaceworthy. There is a reason why in this day and age that the term 'dry rot' has not been taken out of the engineer's manual."

Aja sighed and frowned before thinking about it some more. With another sigh, but sounding like she was about to make a concession, Aja added,

"But just because a ship is over a hundred years old doesn't mean it's not a good ship. A hundred-year-old battleship can still put holes in one built today. It's just not going to do it as well, is all... and Drift Drive technologies haven't advanced that much in the past hundred years either, so there's that. Hmm..."

Aja found worrying about working on an old derelict ship much more interesting than worrying about how to kill a creature that could phase through the walls and bite people in half with a single bite. Only the fact that this Zelk person managed to get in a few good hits gave Aja any hope on the matter. So, when Mendev asked if anyone could jury-rig a power station to charge everyone's batteries, Aja focused on that instead of worrying about the creature they were going to have to fight. Pulling a panel free off the computer station Grix first checked, Aja started uncoupling power conduits from the sensors running to systems that were no longer connected to the computer and reran them to a cobbled-together bank of chargers. Singly, the power in the lines was not much. Still, together, they generated more than enough electricity to charge everyone's batteries in under ten minutes.

But then it was time to face what was ahead. Ignoring looking at the bones to prevent herself from having another panic attack, Aja eagerly walked past everyone and started to work on cycling the door open. Falling into the work at hand, Aja didn't even realize the difficulty of her task. Usually, she would have tried opening a panel on the door and open it that way. Whether in some Zen-like state of mind or just in need of a challenging mental problem, the doors opened for Aja with a final press of a button.




OOC/ACTIONS:
  • Computers(DC: 30): 36. And that was a Natural 20!

    Note: Vette's Azimuth Laser Pistol does: 1d4 Fire; Crit 20/x2+1d4 burn

Dice roll's are here
Free Action:
Swift Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:
Full Action:
Reaction:

Stamina(12): 12
Hit Points(16) 16
Resolve Points(4): 3
Hero Points: 0
Gravitational Harness, mk 1
(2 rounds/day): 1
Precussive Maintenance(Engineering check[1/day] / Engineer Crew Action[1/day]): 0 / 1
Conditions:

Aja's Character Sheet ~ Notes ~ Wieghtless Movement ~ 2-hand fighting ~ Hero Points

 
__________________

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: Normal / Fri & Sat: Rairly Available

Last edited by Silk; Feb 16th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.
  #148  
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 17085
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 4,073
right-aligned image
And because Grix was of course not the most patient of beings, she just couldn’t stand still and instead headed over to the writing again. "You know," she remarks as she draws a survival knife, "I think the rest of the writing may well below here. Looks like the plating was installed later. Lemme have a look…" And she started to try and break off more of the ceramic plating to see if she couldn’t find out just what the weak shall.
  #149  
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 10:13 PM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
The Drift Rock, Absalom Station Space, 4/29/317Grix pries away shattered segments of ceramic which clack and crack at her feet. The scraping raises a cloud of dust and creates a racket, but before long, the ysoki has uncovered a wider space around the text on the wall behind it. The Ambassador's drone hovers just overhead. "This... appears to be a slogan of some kind," the technomancer says over the comms, with a note of distaste in her voice. "Sorry to disappoint you Host T'aro, but it says 'The weak shall take their place at our feet and die at our whim.'" These words are followed by a brief, cold silence.

"Most interesting," Ambassador Nor's voice soon breaks the silence. "It would seem this facility is a palimpsest of sorts." This prompts some to quickly look up "palimpsest" on their comm units. "There is more than one culture at work here... and perhaps it was not a harmonious collaboration."

As this unfolds, Aja diligently hacks into the control panel by the door. Her custom rig--designed to adapt its interface to strange operating systems--eventually syncs up with the alien computer, allowing her to begin manipulating the code and racing through the myriad permutations of keystrokes to activate the door. It is not long before the clever hacker identifies a file inside the door mechanism that contains a series of character groups, each eight characters long and comprising only characters on the eight buttons of the keypad. Almost all of the groups are identical and the ones that are different usually vary by only one or two characters. Then it strikes her: it is a keypad log. Most entries were made by beings who knew the code and occasionally made mistakes. She punches the keys to match the most commonly appearing eight-digit code and the door soundlessly slides open!

Fortunately, T'aro and Grix were correct in their assessment of the pink light, and the hangar has atmosphere--though there is a slight pressure change, that sucks some of the dust raised by Grix into the room beyond. You all turn to face the hangar and get your first clear glimpse of the large chamber. The first thing that strikes you is the ship--sleek, but with enough bulk to provide ample space-under-hull for cargo or a variety of other purposes. It is white, with red and blue trim and painted on the nose are the words Sunrise Maiden in a font that recalls Ancient Tian Xia. Laser canons protrude from the nose and the side of the hull just behind the bridge and a particle beam turret sits on top a little farther back. The lure of this fine looking vessel seems to draw you forward for a moment... and then you notice the objects scattered across the floor. It is quite clear what they are now: skeletons... akata skeletons, some as large as the alpha you slew on board the Acreon. Some lie in heaps, others have their bones arranged in strange patterns on the floor. The air in the hangar is warm and damp, and it smells of death. Everything is silent.

* * *


OOGMFor your next posts, I want to know how (or if) you enter the hangar--speed, noise level, formation if any. Do not specify how far you go. And everyone give me a perception check in the dice thread.

Also -- please check the table below and make sure everything is accurate given the recent equipment acquisitions and level gains.

 



CharacterColorsKACEACStamina PtsHit PtsResolve PtsAmmoCondition/EffectNotes
MatsuBlue/Green151427/2725/253/46/6 and 20/20none---
VettePink/Black161427/2720/274/5NAnone1 point force field with 1 fast healing
MendevBlue/Orange141524/2420/221/39/9 and 20/20none---
GrixYellow/Red151618/1820/204/520/20none---
AjaPurple/Teal151218/1822/223/420/20none---
T'aroGreen/Blue131421/2124/243/420/20none---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	89707  

Last edited by ruffdove; Feb 20th, 2021 at 02:05 PM.
  #150  
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 02:51 AM
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 2340
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Posts: 498
Matsu"What in all the worlds killed so many? Matsu whispers as he surveys the field of dead Atakas.


Matsu OOCOnce the others move, Matsu will step into the room, and then next to the door to leave the entry/exit clear, and him able to cover whatever the rest do. He does so Stealth: 25quietly and efficiently, using hand signals to motion the others to do the same.

In dice thread, stealth: 25, perception: 10


 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(İ 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB