RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 26th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Is it nap time yet?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5435
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
The Roster

Please post your character applications with character sheets here.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11865
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Torrim Cragfoot
right-aligned image
Name: Torrim Cragfoot
Race: Shield Dwarf
Class: Barbarian
Background: Soldier
Homeland: Citadel Felbarr

Description and Personality: Torrim is a dwarf that has spent nearly all of his adult life defending his home from one enemy or another. He wears his armor like a second skin, which shows the signs of countless damage and repairs. A pair of axes is always present on his belt.

He is proud of his clan and of his father's achievements. Like many shield dwarves, he is distrustful of outsiders, but would move mountains to those he considers a friend.

Childhood History: Torrim's father, Beladin, was a battlerager that died during the battle to retake Ctiadel Felbarr from orc forces under the command of King Obould in the year 1367. Torrim was thirty-seven at the time.

In the years since, Torrim came to live in Ctiadel Felbarr and distinguished himself as a fierce warrior in many battles with the various orcs, goblins, drow and duergar that were ever a threat. He still had his father's armor, which he had repaired after it was damaged when his father fell. Although he hoped that one day he might be worthy to don the armor of the Kuldjargh, battleragers in the common tongue, he had not yet earned that distinction.

Family information: Torrim's mother also moved to Ctiadel Felbarr and does her best to support the clan. Although Torrim is an only child, he has many cousins that also reside in the Citadel.

Character’s Occupation: Although nearly every dwarf can claim some degree of martial prowess, Torrim has followed in his father's footsteps and has strived to protect the Citadel from any of its threats, having joined the guard nearly as soon as he was able.

Professional Network: As a dwarf of Citadel Felbarr from a clan with a respected name, Torrim is well-liked within the Citadel and his clan name would carry weight among other shield dwarves.

On more than one skirmish on the surface, he has come face to face with an orc commander with a large scar running down his face. Although they have crossed blades on more than one occasion, neither has managed to overcome the other.

Despite the dwarves' natural distrust of outsiders, especially elves, Torrim has actually garnered the mutual respect of an elven ranger named Tolith Ilidithas from Silverymoon. Although neither would openly call the other a friend, they have come to trust one another and joined in battle side-by-side on more than one occasion.

Stat BlockTorrim Cragfootsheet
Shield Dwarf Barbarian 1

Hit Points17/17 | AC: 17 | Init: +2 | Speed: 25' | Hit Dice: d12 1/1 | Rage: 2/2
Str:19 (+4) | Dex: 15 (+2) | Con: 20 (+5) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 12 (+1)

Weapons: Battleaxe +6, 1d8(d10)+4 | Handaxe +6, 1d6+4 20/60

Feats & Class Features: In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action. While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:
  • You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
  • When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
  • You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.
Rage | Rage Damage: +2 | While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.Unarmored Defense

Skills: Athletics: +6 | Intimidation: +3 | Perception: +4 | Survival: +4

Proficiencies & Traits: Light Armor, Medium Armor, ShieldsArmor | Martial Weapons, Simple WeaponsWeapons | Dice Set, Smith's Tools, Vehicles (Land)Tools | Common, DwarvishLanguages | You have advantage on saves against poison and resistance against poison damageDwarven Resilience | Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check.Stonecunning

Last edited by Silent Rain; Feb 26th, 2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 09:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1122
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula

Application
right-aligned image
Omar al-Mukhṭār

Name: Omar al-Mukhṭār Mustafa bin Farḥāṭ al-Manifī
Race: Variant Human (Zakharan)
Class: Warlock (The Genie)
Alignment: Neutral
Homeland: Zakhara
Deity: Najm: Zakharan god (sometimes goddess) of adventure.
Appearance: He likes to dress well, and in the style of his own people, wherever possible. Keeps a well-maintained beard (his best feature he believes). Is short and slight of frame.
Mechanical Background: Far Traveler
Faction: Lord's Alliance

Backstory:

Last edited by Shula; Mar 8th, 2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 11:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2033
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Application

right-aligned image

Name: Ken Jitsu
Race: Half-Elf
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Rogue
Homeland: Phandilin, but currently living in Hlath
Background: Entertainer / Faction Agent (Harper)

Appearance: A good looking young man of average height and build wearing simple leather and carrying a lute, with short brown hair, a scruffy beard and hazel eyes whistling or humming a happy tune as he walks down the street. His voice is solid baritone, yet soothing as he talks with a sparkle in his eye, which seems to help put you at ease and feel you can trust him.

Personality: Always appears to be in a good mode and willing to help others. Very friendly and polite and willing to strike up conversation with anyone as if they had always been friends. Does not like seeing innocent people get hurt and will jump to defend them without thinking of the consequences. He does not try to be heroic, but at the same time, he will not sit idle while innocent people are being threatened.

Link to Stat Rolls and allocations

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Feb 27th, 2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 02:44 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 384
Gilgameshi Gilgameshi Gilgameshi Gilgameshi

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 22nd, 2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2797
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
SMALL
right-aligned image

Name: Small
Race: Lizardman
Class: Circle of the Moon Druid
Alignment: L/N
Background: Acolyte
Personality Trait: I ignore those smaller and less powerful than me . . . unless I am hungry
Personality Trait: I emulate those bigger and more powerful than me and follow their rules
Ideal: I will grow big, bigger than all those who could eat me
Bond: The law will protect me if I follow it; the law will execute me if I break it
Flaw: I have no natural empathy, only the rules that I follow because they are the biggest thing I know
Backstory: This includes where I was born, where I live, why I travel, and what my overarching goal is

I am Small. I was smaller than those of my tribe. I only survived because my tribe was big and could take enough food so they did not have to eat me. Though they would if food were scarce. That is the way of things.

Bigger than my tribe were the monsters of the swamp. Chult is a land of bigness and the monsters of the swamps were the biggest to my tribe. The hornface with its three terrible horns growing from a plate of bone that could smash through the strongest skin. The snakenecks, heavier than even the biggest of monsters, able to crush the biggest of my tribe with a careless step. And, the biggest of all, from whose bellow all ran in fear, the greatjaws with its monstrous mouth dwarfing its tiny arms. Tooth and fang incarnate.

But there was one place even the greatjaws did not go. Deep in the swamp was a big temple, overgrown with all manner of strangling vines and carnivorous plants. From it came the bellow of deep beating drums and it sent forth from its bigness emissaries that carried fear throughout the swamp and beyond.

And from beyond the swamp came to its environs creature who seemed small, softskinned, and weak. And the emissaries of the big temple sent my tribe forth against these creatures to eat them but they were not eaten. Some of the softskins put on shells of metal and picked up sharp pieces of the same and they killed those of my tribe who came against them. Others stayed soft with sticks of wood but they opened their mouths, tiny mouths with teeth that could not even harm me, the smallest. And from their mouths came god words, words of fire and flashing light, words that caused clouds of sharp metal teeth to appear in the air and all of my tribe were smashed and burned and cut until they lay small and still.

I did not die because I did not challenge them, being small. They took me back to their place, this temple, to eat later if they grew hungry. And I learned to understand them so that I would not be eaten. And I learned their rules and this thing that was bigger even than the godwords they spoke, the Law. And I listened to their stories and listening, I grew even smaller as they grew even bigger.

For they had gone forth after making my tribe small. And they had met the monsters of the swamp and though the monsters had been very big, the softskins were bigger still. The hornface with its horns that could pierce the strongest skin was smashed and stabbed and slashed and burned until it pierced no more. And the softskins ate it. The snakenecks in their immensity heard godwords that made them afraid and they fled deeper into the swamps. Even the greatjaws had bellowed doom at them, and they had bellowed back the words of fire and light and steel and made it small. And so, the softskins were bigger than the monsters of the swamp.

Then the softskins found their way to the big temple with its strangling vines and carnivorous plants all around it. And they entered the temple and faced those within. And those within had godwords of their own and the air was rent with bellowing and power. But the softskins were bigger and their bigness was such that they burst the very stones asunder and brought the temple crashing down in ruins.

And so I remain Small. Those of the temple are big, their god words are bigger but I am not eaten. Because bigger even than the godwords is the Law. If I follow the law, it protects me. If I disobey it, I will be killed. And so, following the law, I become bigger. I learn the godwords and they change me and make me bigger. My bellow causes light and fire. But I do not eat those smaller than I am because the law says I cannot eat those who speak and the law is bigger. And I search for more godwords and grow bigger. Someday I will be so big that no one can eat me and then I will no longer be Small.

Why I have come to Waterdeep.

Now I have left the temple where I have been protected for so many years. Protection keeps one alive but one does not learn godwords and become big if one is too safe. I have learned to read the black marks on bark that hold the knowledge of the softskins and they have given me the metal pieces that they use to distribute things where there is no tribal matron to order. The black marks on bark told me of Waterdeep, the place where Godwords are strongest so I have come here to this place to learn new words and grow big. I have gone to the buildings where the softskins seek the bigger softskins they call Gods and have made my rounds and shown the black marks on bark from my temple to theirs at the temples of Helm, Ilmater, Torm, and the Godword speakers of Ilmater have offered me a room with their acolytes though their ideas and beliefs make little to no sense to me. I read the black marks on bark in their reading rooms and speak with the Godword speakers of the temples. I also seek out the food buildings where the seekers after new Godwords meet to join groups that seek to grow bigger, though those rooms are smoky and too many there partake of the water that drowns clear thoughts. I will find a group that seeks Godwords and I will grow bigger. I will.

Last edited by penbeast0; Feb 27th, 2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20104
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Gryizara Shadecrag <----- Character Sheet

Race: Half Orc

Class: Cleric, Forge Domain

Alignment: CG

Homeland: Turmish, city of Quorngar

Deity: Gond

Appearance: Gyrizara has a fairly even mix of human and half-orc qualities. She stands at six foot two inches tall and carries her two hundred and sixty pounds of lean muscle with purpose. She wears custom splint armor with custom leather work in all the other places. The shield she carries has the emblem of Gond in the center boss, and is completely made of metal, save the strap. Adorned with hands on weapons that include a warhammer, a light hammer, two handaxes, and four javelins, she looks like the type you wouldn't want to mess with.

Mechanical Background: Folk Hero

Childhood History: Gryizara, or Gyri to her friends, grew up in a small town along the Turmish road between Nonthal and Xorhun. Raised by cousins she was born up near Ironfang Keep actually, the result of an Orc raid on a small village there.
No one believes this since her "cousins" are Dwarves, and Smiths or stonemasons by trade. She found refuge in the forge at an early age and found she not only had natural skill working metal, but also skill with leather working. All of her "cousins" are alive and well, but since the "incident" she's had a falling out and is moving out on her own, leaving home.
She's a Smith by trade and a damned good one. When trying to find her way at an early age, she sought refuge in prayer to the God of Smiths, Gond. She's been blessed since then with more than just talent, but divine gifts of magic from the Deity.
Quorngar is known for not only providing cut stone to Turmish, but local workers also turn out an endless stream of stout strongchests, coffers, and travel-cases of the useful, long-lasting, plain sort. Some merchant concerns in port cities all around The Sea of Fallen Stars order these containers by the thousand, and there are persistant rumors of secret cargo slipping out of the country in some of them. Gyrizara has done work on such containers for several years now, and her mark is in the metal workings of may of them, as well as some leatherwork.
To those in the know, she can drop such information and get some kind or recognition or respect for it - if she's believed.

As with most tellings, it begins with, "Everything changed for Gyrizara the day most of the town guard (which is made up of locals mostly, more like a volunteer militia) were gone on a big shipment, merchant run.
Raiders, brigands, and highwaymen who usually frequented other roads heard of the lack of force in the town somehow, obviously ahead of time. Actually believing the "Saga of the Lost Hoard of Halaglathgar" was fully true, they meant to sack the town and dig up the cobblestone streets under which the "Hoard" was buried.
Being alerted almost a full day ahead of time, Gyrizara led a fast forging effort to transform common tools and farming implements into weapons for all the populace. Everyone was armed when the raiders came, and Gyri led the fight to repel said invaders. Some of her newfound Clerical Blessings were revealed and all present said she saved the day.
Though several perished in the repelling of the raiders, it was a great time for the town and added to it's reputation - as well as Gyrizara Shadecrag's.
She used this newfound fame to work with more highly skilled Smiths, and her fame increased more and more.
Soon, her "cousins" felt a bit threatened by her and quietly asked her to go.
Friends and fellow Smiths said she should stay and eventually sit on "named for the shape of the ancient stone table they meet around—a sacred sacrificial altar of some long-forgotten god, some sages who’ve examined its runic inscriptions believeThe Crescent Council" that ruled the city.

She felt that Gond wanted her to move on and this matched her own feelings as she was the only half-orc in the town, and it made sense.
She struck out with a fair bit of coin in her pocket, literally wearing and carrying her work and reputation as she did.

Contacts in Good standing:
Lanpip Sprocket and Tankas Cobbnabit - the heads of two industrious stonemason families of Quorngar. They are merchants based there and travel often from sea to sea across the main roads of Turmish to sell their containers and keep their trade contacts strong. She's done work for them in the past and they may owe her a debt for saving their families from the Raiders some time back when they were gone with a small Merchant Caravan.
Gafaeg Oakview & Bestac Jadestone, both "cousins" who took her in at a young age. Though both will welcome her home, only Bestac would welcome her to stay while Gafaeg would encourage her to keep moving on and not stay too long.

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 12:29 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1563
Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Jun 2nd, 2021 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Shula pointed out I missed a language
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 09:33 PM
Mr Driver isn't impressed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 288
Chathmaral Chathmaral Chathmaral

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 22nd, 2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Not a Doctor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16541
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Lorna Thistlewood
Ghostwise Halfling Moon Druid/Cleric of Life
Moon Druid of Life App
right-aligned image
Name: Lorna Thistlewood (character sheet)
Race: Ghostwise Halfling
Class: Moon Druid/Life Cleric
Background: Outlander

Family Information: Lorna's family, and more largely her Clan, still reside in the 'Far Wood'. She knows exactly how to get back there if she so desired, and imagines her family would shower her with love should she return, but truly believes that the shame she brings upon them by her very presence isn't worth being that selfish. While she knows she'll never truly understand what her mother must have gone through having lost her daughter twice, Lorna is now certain her path was to take her far from the thick forest she called home.

Character’s Occupation: For all intents and purposes, Lorna is a traveling healer. She's been able to tap into a method of divine power that few commonfolk can comprehend, especially as she doesn't pray to any deity they've ever heard of. As strange as she is, her results speak for themselves. While she will decline the most extravagant of compensations offered, she will accept what little she deems necessary to continue her journey across the land.

Character's Professional Network: Mostly her network is a 'word of mouth' kind of network. While she has made many friendly acquaintances during her recent travels, those that stick around have to be the type that she can't glean are only staying with her out of a desire to use her or look down upon her in some way (not in the literal sense, of course). While travelers and valiant and honorable mercenaries spread word of the accomplishments of the "savage 'Witch Woman'", Lorna often finds she is either welcomed or ostracized by those of the 'organized' religions. Those that are in desperate need often search her out when their temples' holy people offer no further aid, and she's always had a respect for those that will take a beating in defense of the weak and helpless against those that are sadistic in their desires.

Also worth mentioning, she's not exactly the type you forget seeing based solely on appearance alone, nor the fact that sometimes she talks without her mouth moving, which tends to leave some unsettled. Basically, she's 'Weird', which, in its own way, is a form of universal renown.

Last edited by Saratek; Apr 18th, 2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 06:04 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 425
A7ice A7ice A7ice A7ice A7ice
Application

right-aligned image

Name: Nyx Desverger
Race: Half-Elf
Alignment: Neutral
Class: Shadow Sorceress
Homeland: Waterdeep, Northwest Faerûn
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter

Appearance:
Height: 178 cm (5’10’’). Weight: 53 kg (117lbs). Nyx is a beautiful, yet skinny and tall Half-Elf, with long legs, and pale skin. Her moves are elegant, graceful, and sultry. Her silver cool blue eyes are perceptive and she tends to have a playful smile in the corner of her lips. Her voice is clear, honey-like, and warm. Her clothes are usually of higher quality, although functional.

Personality:
Nyx tends to be calm and inquisitive, logical and open-minded. However, she but can be vain, spontaneous, and careless. She is also sarcastic and flirtatious. She has a dry sense of humor, sharp mind, and she can be philosophical from time to time.

Nyx is a pragmatic person, a realist and a bit of a hedonist. She is firmly set in neutrality capable to act selfish but also selfless, especially for people she care. She is loyal, in general likes order but has also a bit of free-spirit streak inside her that is her motor to keep her moving challenge herself, to wander, to explore and to learn. She enjoys pleasure, adrenaline, seeks power, and not shy away to get dirty if needed be. She is not trying to save the world but she never does evil things for sake of being bad.

Character’s Occupation: Adventurer, Bounty Hunter, Wanderer

Link to Stat Rolls and allocations

Last edited by A7ice; Apr 17th, 2021 at 03:36 AM.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2786
Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur Hundur

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Jun 7th, 2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 10:58 PM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2062
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
Prudence Tempestchaser

Prudence Tempestchaser
right-aligned image
Name: Prudence ‘Pru’ or ‘Tempest’ Tempestchaser
Race: Tiefling
Class: Yes. Oh! Bard
Alignment: NG
Homeland: Waterdeep
Background: Criminal (Spy) Entertainer

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Jun 18th, 2021 at 12:48 AM.
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 02:26 AM
E X • N O X • L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5853
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Jun 7th, 2021 at 02:00 AM.
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 05:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6645
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Application for Fireside Tales
right-aligned image

Name: Hungus Mungus the Fungus Lord/Lennart Danton IV

Character Sheet

Race: Human (Variant)

Class: Druid (Circle of Spores)

Alignment: Neutral Good

Homeland: Born in Neverwinter, but has spent the last twenty-five years or so living with the Myconids in the Underdark

Appearance:Truth be told, Hungus Mungus the Fungus Lord, or Hugh for short, has not seen his face in many years. To those he passes as he finds his way along the Sword Coast, they see a dirty, pale-skinned, squinting human man wearing tattered scraps of leather armor and carrying a grubby wooden staff. His hair is halfway down to his back, and he has a mighty thick, scraggly beard that goes down to his breastbone. There is a distinctly unique and pungent smell of mushrooms coming from his person, and if one pays a close enough look, they can see the stems and caps of various small mushrooms woven into his hair. He has the tall bone structure of his Illuskan heritage, with copper red hair and warm blue eyes that are constantly squinting against sunlight he is just now seeing again after nearly three decades.

Why has your character decided to do this? Innate interest in nature, a love for life, curiosity, and simple wanderlust. As for why he has decided to travel with a group of others - one simple fact he learned while living with the myconids: no mushroom walks alone.

What is their over-arching goal? Hugh Mungus has a great love for all things mushroom - he's a real "fungi," as he's quick to say, before bursting into a hearty guffaw. His over-arching goal is to explore the world, share his love for mushrooms, and celebrate being out and about in nature after twenty-five years of study in the Underdark.

Background: Wanderer, formerly of the UnderdarkFar Traveler
-Personality: I have myself my own ideas on what is and what is not food, and I find the habits of eating of those around me fascinating, confusing, or revolting.
-Flaw: I pretend not to understand the local language in order to avoid interactions I would rather not have.
-Ideal: Open. I have much to learn from the kindly folk I meet along my way. (Good)
-Bond: I'm fascinated by the beauty and wonder of this new land.

Born in the northern region of the Sword Coast, Lennart Danton as he was known then, was the son of wealthy merchants based out of Neverwinter, but with stakes in multiple markets throughout the land. There’s not a port city around that doesn't know the Dantons. Lennart was being groomed to be a tradesman like his father Lennart Danton III, and the two generations of Dantons before, but Lennart never had much interest in the notion of wealth or trade. He recoiled at the high society life put before him and the expectations of etiquette and refinement. He had no interest in marriages put before him for political gain, and in fact seemed to be confused in general by the notion of sex. He much preferred the great outdoors, running, climbing, diving, and most of all, exploring caves.

Because of the trade that the Danton family did with the local dwarven mining guild out of Neverwinter, Lennart had occasionally interacted with these dwarves when they came into the city to shop. He was fascinated by the tales they told of the underdark, of the drow with glowing eyes, the duergar with their grey skin and foul temperament, and most exciting of all, the living race of mushroom people – the myconid. Lennart made a decision: he would go on a great adventure and travel to the underdark to meet the myconid.

The trip was… not easy. Lennart was the heir to a major shipping magnate, living in a large estate with many servants, guards, and other attendants. Whenever he went he was accompanied by adults. That didn’t mean there were no opportunities for escape; he just needed to get creative with it.

Being an outdoors child, he had grown strong and swift, and when he faked a cramp while swimming and was “swept away” by the current, it was an easy thing to put distance between himself and his guardian. As soon as he was a half mile or so downriver, he scurried up the bank and into the woods, and disappeared from his old life.

The young boy who would grow up to become Hungus Mungus the Fungus Lord had always had a close bond with nature, and this closeness with the land helped him traverse safely through the perilous depths of Neverwinter Forest. The dwarves had told him of the lost city of Gauntlgrym, somewhere in the mountain range known only as the Crags, which bisected the forest like a dagger. But the boy was brave and strong and quiet, and he had a keen eye, and it did not take him much more than a few weeks to find the entrance. Traversing the dark was another matter, but he knew he would adjust in time. The trip was dangerous, and he got lost many times, but he had made sure to gather plenty of food and water for the journey.

He probably should have died, many times over, but whether through divine providence or simply luck, he found a colony of myconid. It was certainly a strange sight, these walking mushrooms who communicated only through telepathy, but perhaps in connecting to his mind, they sensed the goodness in him, the desire to learn all their was about the myconid and the fungi they tended to. And Hugh grew, he learned which mushrooms were safe to eat, which were poisonous, which caused hallucinations, and which ones were simply best as decoration. There were mushrooms that were bioluminescent and Hugh’s world was painted in magical shades of green and violet. He spoke little but learned much, and one day he reached an age where he wished to see the mushrooms of the rest of the world. He bid the myconid farewell through gestures and words, and though his companions of many years could not speak out loud, he heard their goodbyes in his mind and heart.

And so, laden with a multitude of different fungi and a great knowledge, Hungus Mungus the Fungus Lord returned to the surface world, eager to explore and find new species to study. Whether he achieves his goal – and whether his true identity as a member of a wealthy merchant family will ever be discovered – remains to be seen.