Game Thread Call Me Valkyrie (T&F #4) - Page 11 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches > Completed Adventures
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 03:56 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 14178
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 8,828
Valorian Katzschen
right-aligned image
Valorian Katzschen
Valorian DnDB/RPGX
| Male Half-Elf: Ranger (1) | Level 1


HP: 8/10 (Temp: 0)| AC: 15 | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1/1d10 | Status: Here we go...


 


Still wary of further attack, Valorian motions for Semchis to follow, and they make their way back onto Valkyrie with some hill-jumping. Once they arrive back on deck, Valorian whistles appreciatively, "Well then, looks like you folks didn’t need me much at all. Sorry about that."

Unshuttering the lantern to provide more light, Val began searching for where any stray arrows may have gone during the attack. Upon coming across the creature’s weaponry, Val couldn’t help but appreciate the somewhat alien design, and the effect on the blade reminded the ranger of the overall stealth effect the creatures were exhibiting. "This looks like it could be useful." Picking up one of the blades, Valorian began to examine it, glancing over to Semchis, "Do you know anything about these weapons, or these creatures who attacked us?"






OOC Not sure what rolls I need to find arrows, perception? And looking at the blade for any clue as to its capabilities over the stealth bit, investigation?

Perception check to find arrows:
Dice Perception Check:
1d20+8 (16)+8 Total = 24
(24)
Investigation Check for longsword:
Dice Investigation Check:
1d20+3 (10)+3 Total = 13
(13)


 





__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 05:44 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 13068
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 13,676
OOC
I'm going to give Valorian and the other PCs a chance to respond to Valorian's changes, before the return to Xyco - and possible confiscation of the weapons.

IC New Dawn
Valkyrie and Semchis re-boarded Valkyrie and the craft proceeded up the river, towards Xyco, for less than an hour before Valkyrie announced, "Approaching power exhaustion. We need to dock."

In this case, Valkyrie drove up onto the beach and told the crew, "If necessary, I have enough power to get into the river, but we will float until I run aground or you pull me ashore."

Meanwhile, Valorian examined the weapon wielded by the strange undead soldiers. The pair of weapons was odd. They were curiously light (Finesse property). They were equipped with a couple of switches/levers that Valorian suspected invoked the stealth field. Finally, there was a tube and trigger that Valorian thought would lob the fireballs.

Semchis and Valorian did not know what the swords were. However, Semchis offered a bit of insight, "I have never seen them wielded by anyone on the ship. If they were really that powerful, someone would have used these weapons. I advise you to leave the technology alone until Hammer has a chance to examine it."

The party spent a sleepless night waiting for the return of the Undead Soldiers. However, nothing bothered the group. There were a couple of scares as some animals came down to the river, looking for a drink or some prey.

Morning brought a couple of surprises for Valorian. Unwelcome were the raised metallic veins that appeared to be covering his skin. Perhaps less unwelcome, Valorian found that by manipulating one of the switches, he could exude a faint field that slightly blurred his outline. Perhaps in time, Valorian will develop the ability to become Stealthed like the creatures they fought.
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 10:28 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 17134
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 17,080
Shield | AC: 19 | HP: 14/14 | Warhammer +5, 1d8+3 | Status: Normal
ADV vs. poison | Resistance to poison | Immunity to sleep | Interception Style | Second Wind 1/1| HD 1/1

Shield had watched Valorian's experimentation with some interest, but could not devote much attention to it during the night, when it considered itself continuously on watch. When daylight relieved much of that pressure, Shield examined Valorian's new groove. "Are you adapting to the weapon," he asked, "or is it changing you? I thought that it would be a good weapon to loan to those in my charge."

Shield paused. "I have seen soldiers - flesh soldiers - wounded, and the wound is not clean. Sometimes a fever comes, and kills. It is 'infection.' Sometimes, before it kills, the veins show, like yours, but very red, not metallic. Is this infection?" Shield asked, motioning toward Valorian's skin. "If it is, you need a healer, very soon."

Shield looked to I assumethose working on the charging panels. "Valkyrie," it asked, "how long is it until you are sufficiently charged to transport us back to Xyco?"

Shield removed the 'magic' ring the party had assigned to it and handed it to Valorian. "Wear this, please," it said. "I know no other way to protect you."

 

 

Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 08:07 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 2nd, 2024
RPXP: 19919
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,476
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan saw the blurry foe go down with grim satisfaction, but when Valkyrie changed her strategy after Ajax threw the last standing enemy over the railing, the primordial's elation about remaining triumphant in combat was rather shortlived as the magical vehicle started to spin around, rightly throwing Morgan back down to the floor and hitting her with another feeling of her insides making somersaults. The life cleric had just regathered her composure as Valarian and Semchis reconvened with the group and she learned that the fallout from Valkyrie's manoeuvre had been one more dead agent and the other two having escaped. When Snapkick proclaimed their victory, Morgan was letting herself feel a small moment of serenity before she returned to worrying that there were still enemies out to get them. "Everybody.. I believe these assassins to have been sent for us intentionally. I.. when we had been in Xyco before, we were also stalked by Lalira's orcs.." Leaving the inspection of Trinity's artefacts to Valorian, Morgan turned to inspect the one body of the fallen enemy that had remained,
Dice Investigation of corpse /w Guidance:
d20 17
d4t 1 Running Total = 18
searching for signs that would give her more information about these assailants. "I can only guess why these minions have not finished their task, but we still need to stay vigilant throughout the night..."

When Valkyrie ran out of power Morgan was somewhat relieved that she could disembark from the vessel, though she realized that she would still join back up with the others for the return trip after Valkyrie would have regained more strength. The water genasi mostly spent the remainder of the night inside the river, trying to avert a repeat of the last assault from the dark, flowing stream. When it finally turned morning she had successfully staved off sleep throughout her vigil, but when she returned to find most of the pack engrossed with the magical swords, Morgan had to see with concern how the blue-haired adventurer had been changed by somehow bonding himself to one of the weapons. As Shield in his forward nature pointed out that he also thought these marks being the symptoms of something malicious, Morgan kept quiet until he was finished, but when he was done she had to also speak caution as the healer of this adventuring group. "Valorian.. this.. is not something you should take lightly. There are those of the Trinity that are adamant about their follower's servitude and this sword.. to me it looks like it is trying to get ahold of you. Please.. let me see closely what this has been doing to you."

The daughter of the waves murmured an Guidanceaquan prayer as she
Dice Medicine /w Guidance (and advantage if someone helps):
d20+5 (18)+5 Total = 23
d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
d4 3
inspected Valorian without shyness as far as he let her. As her calm, green eyes searched his body to understand what Xyco's magic was doing to her companion, Morgan explained further why she had a bad feeling about this. "So far I have only witnessed that the Trinity favours the most unnatural of magics. They take and they seem to rarely give back. The undead assassins that wielded this weapon before you.. it alarms me that they could have been enslaved corpses exactly because nothing else could safely make use of these. You.. Valorian, you might be trading your life for the sake of a magical tool..." There wasn't a lot of emotion inside Morgan's voice as she scolded the man in front of her. For one as a healer she had to be especially strong in front of her ward, but also she had never been able to portray feelings easily. As she continued to assess whether her worries were founded, it also occurred to her that her pack had been doing nothing less during this adventure but risking their lives for the sake of a tool, and one that she was decidedly liking less and less. I would do this for Hammer. She has shown me friendship and this was our duty as adventurers, the cause for our journey. But if not for that.. I would protect my pack from endorsing such folly... As much as Xyco and the Trinity still fascinated Morgan, there were limits to what she would do to learn more about it and right now the primordial woman was getting convinced that involving oneself with Xyco might be one path to glory, but it also was prone to come at a multitude of dangers that weren't obvious for the most part. After Umberlee's speaker had discerned what she could with her eyes and her knowledge as a healer, after she had conveyed the results to the group she returned to the last remaining sword and began Detect Magica ritual to learn more about Xyco's magic and what else she might have to expect it to do to Valorian.

 

Last edited by Mindsiege; Apr 20th, 2021 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:31 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 14178
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 8,828
Valorian Katzschen
right-aligned image
Valorian Katzschen
Valorian DnDB/RPGX
| Male Half-Elf: Ranger (1) | Level 1


HP: 8/10 (Temp: 0)| AC: 15 | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1/1d10 | Status: Here we go...


 


Valorian was observing the raised metallic veins upon his skin, which seemed to criss-cross over his body, but avoided the bluish rough skin it encountered along the way. Not shy to allow Morgan to observe everything she requested, but not making a show of it either.

As Morgan viewed his person, she would not only discover the metallic raised veins, but also the many patches of bluish skin along his body, and especially along his spine which seemed to be rougher, and more scale-like.

"I was told I have my father’s hair and my mother’s eyes. I never knew the prick, but my mother always wanted me to have something positive to reflect on him. Even when I had to pick up a few extra jobs to help us make ends meet, she’d always take a bit of time out of her day to go visit the village gates, see if he was coming back or not."

Valorian grabbed a hold of the light longsword, and looked at it longingly. "So I grew up, I got stronger and smarter, and I started to become a professional finder of people. You know, someone says you owed them something, whether it was coin or justice, an’ then they’d find me in a tavern and hire me to aggressively intercede on their interests. Well, it kept me from home a lot, but I came to visit m’mum as often as I could." The blue-haired half-elf’s jaw tightened somewhat as he was processing something.

"Then, on my last visit, I spend the first day with me’ mum, and the next day, I find her gutted like a fish, laying in the mud at the gates, with witnesses saying they saw an elven man with intense blue hair. She had a smile on her face…" The grip of the longsword creaked as his fist tightened on the blade.

"I came to the West Marches to find someone, and kill them. This sword could help with that…" Valorian thought about the stealth capabilities… sneaking up on someone unsuspecting, someone specifically… then he looked down at the metallic veins, and what his comrades had said about the Trinity’s… servitude.

Sighing, Valorian put the sword down and looked at Morgan, "Perhaps friends could help with that as well."



OOC I guess I’ll let the sword go… maybe Hammer has good news? Maybe the metallic veins aren’t a bad thing per se… maybe I’m turning into the Guyver or something! Haha.


 


 





__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 06:15 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Zero Nonsense
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 29366
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 7,856
Snap Kick
right-aligned image


As the normally breezy ranger unexpectedly begins to share traumatic details from his past, Snap Kick pads over and crouches by his side, his forearms resting on his knees. At last he places a comforting hand on Val's shoulder. He intones in a serene voice, "Revenge is never a straight line. Itís a forest. And like a forest, itís easy to lose your way." He places his hand back on his own knee and watches forlornly as Morgan tries to figure out what is happening to Val's veins.





 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 01:03 PM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 13068
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 13,676
IC Undead Soldiers from a Long Dead War
You can take the Pilot out of the Assault Shuttle, but you cannot take the Assault Shuttle out of the Pilot
-Source Unknown

Morgan had a solider and a half, the other half being separated and swept downriver when Valkyrie crushed it against the river bank. However, there were enough similarities for Morgan to make a number of observations. First and most prominent were the metallic veins that ran over the entire creature's body. Second, the bodies had been dead for some time (weeks prior to the combat). However, they had not decomposed. Morgan was confident that these were akin to undead, but not undead raised by any magic that she knew. Third, they might have once been Orcs, but their lack of attention to armor or even clothing pointed further to undead creatures. Finally, the bodies contained no item (other than the sword) that would account for either the mini-fireballs or the stealth field.

After Detect Magiccasting a ritual, Morgan determined that both the creatures and the swords gave off an essence of magic - stronger on the swords and fading in the creatures. The essence was similar to, but not necrotic magic. Morgan suspected that it might be the Xyco equivalent of necromancy - powering bodies beyond their natural life.

The next morning brought a disturbing revelation to Morgan. Valorian had the beginning of the metallic veins that crisscrossed the dead soldiers. More disturbingly, Valorian was beginning to show faint traces of the magical essence that permeated the dead soldiers. Morgan's conclusion was that this magic was akin to more conventional diseases that she had seen, where they spread from creature to creature through contact.

"I came to the West Marches to find someone, and kill them. This sword could help with thatÖ" Valorian finished with "Perhaps friends could help with that as well."

Interestingly, it was Semchis that spoke up, "Comrade is an honorific introduced by Lalira. However, it is used to denote equality and also a sense of shared purpose.Comrade Valorian, you have saved my wife and I even after we attacked you. You see to her safety and have proven a capable adventurer. If you will have me, I will join you in this venture."

__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 07:08 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 2nd, 2024
RPXP: 19919
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,476
Morgan
right-aligned image

As Morgan inspected Valorian's body she quickly recognized the metallic veins as the same thing which she had seen in the orcs that had carried the magical swords before and it worried her greatly that it fit with what she feared was happening to the half-elf. Xyco's unnatural magic seemed to spread throughout the less resilient parts of Valorian's body and it very much reminded the life cleric about diseases that acted similar, though this one at least didn't seem able to spread to the rest of the pack. As she studied the condition without finding any countermeasures, Morgan also listened to the blue-haired man's tale and while her expression didn't reveal it, she felt deeply about the loss he described and although he had only lost one person, as the last of her tribe she understood the feeling of wanting to avenge the one's one mourned. If just that I could slay fate...

The water genasis' heart felt for the adventurer as she realized why Valorian was seeking the strength of life-threatening artifacts and as he mused that friendship might be able to balance the odds in his favour just as well, it was on Morgan to hold herself back and to make no rash decisions. She stood up and fixated him with her deep green eyes, but she didn't say anything for a moment as Semchis and Snapkick reacted faster to respond to his unasked question. Her equally green hair floated silently to accompany her otherwise stillness, but Morgan had to confer with herself whether she could make the same promises as the Hasek. After all, once spoken she wouldn't take her word back and if the finder of people didn't even survive their return trip to Westhaven, she had her own burden to carry and couldn't allow herself to also carry his. The primordial woman couldn't make that decision at this moment, but instead she could speak to him in the hopes that her words could help to prolong his life until such a day. "Xyco's magic takes root in you.. friend Valorian. Not unlike a disease it has started to take hold where you are not wearing your scales. I.. don't know anything to fight it. But I can try to verify if your condition stems from these swords.."

After Morgan had finished her ritual to perceive the different resonances of all the various kinds of magic, even when she had never seen something like the magic that permeated those weapons, she realized that it indeed served to push a creature past their natural life. And while Umberlee's own couldn't be sure whether this was something that would only take effect if the wielder passed away, it wasn't a risk that was advisable to take. So again she found her patient on the riverbank and delivered her council. "The magic of these swords is now in you, friend Valorian.. I can't tell if it will kill you with certainty, but the assassins were only separated from this magic after their second death. It could be that hiding the artifact from you and time would revert your body.. but if you have use and purpose for your life yet, then I would seek a healer that can help you better than I. Hammer is not a healer of people, but she knows of Xyco's magic and is at least a crafter of artificial life. I.. think we should return with Valkyrie as fast as she allows..." Morgan felt sorrow that she couldn't do anything for Valorian herself, but such was how it went with the gifts of the Trinity. They went beyond any comprehension Morgan had developed in all her years below, but also above the sea. All she could do was give the half-elf her advice, but the choice, in the end, had to be his own.

 

Last edited by Mindsiege; Apr 29th, 2021 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 09:17 AM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 13068
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 13,676
IC Docking Time
right-aligned image

It was an anxious time for the adventurers waiting for Valkyrie to recharge sufficiently to continue their journey upriver. The morning - like the night - passed without incident. As soon as Valkyrie announced, "Sufficient Charge", the group piled the magical panels back into the craft and continued upriver. Less than an hour later, the group caught sight of the Xyco dam - a dam which was actually a spaceship, or at least part of one jammed into the river.

There was a commotion in the area below the dam. Hammer had brought her Ai-Eff-Vee - a magical steel wagon down to the river bank just below the dam. There she waited with a few other creatures from Xyco. She waved and called to the group, "Thank Goodness. I had hoped that Valorian would find you. It is more than I expected to see the craft and Valkyrie still running and all of you intact and alive."

Hammer had nothing good to say about the weapons that overnight attackers had wielded, "Cursed Weapons.
I don't know whether one of the Master Races forged them or found them when investigating the ruins. If it were up to me, I would destroy all of them. They cloud a person's mind. Slowly stripping their free will and memories away from them until all is left is a mindless soldier. Unfortunately, they are easy to compel. This makes them dangerous to friends and foes. They might easily turn on the group they initially served."


Hammer took a close look at the two weapons that the group had brought back and cursed, "Cursed Qids. This is going to be dangerous. When we fought him, he had some who were under the sway of these weapons.
However, this is beyond dangerous. Qids has manufactured more of these weapons. These weapons are now in the West Marches. I doubt Qids has the strength to challenge Xyco or Westhaven directly. However, he will make the surrounding countryside even more dangerous."


---

Hammer provided the group with a variety of trade goods that they could return to Breen and Westhaven. Chief among these were an Intrument of IllusionsHolographic Instrument and a Vicious Weaponextra sharp Short Sword

Hammer was concerned that Snapkick had used the Vehicle Repair Kit. She insisted that Snapkick be checked out by Her Husband and Druid/ShamanSqueeks. In the end, Snapkick appeared to be unharmed by the experience. However, he did mutter odds beeps and whistles and some points in time.

Hammer, Valkyrie, and Snapkick reached an agreement. After Hammer repaired Valkyrie, Valkyrie and Snapkick agreed to travel back and forth between Xyco and Westhaven once a week, delivering trade goods in both directions. The trip down the river, out to the sea, and up to the port of Westhaven would take about a day. Valkyrie could not complete the trip during storms or rough seas, but it took about a day when the weather was good. It was being faster and safer than traveling overland.
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 08:34 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 14178
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 8,828
Valorian Katzschen
right-aligned image
Valorian Katzschen
Valorian DnDB/RPGX
| Male Half-Elf: Ranger (1) | Level 1


HP: 8/10 (Temp: 0)| AC: 15 | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1/1d10 | Status: Here we go...


 


Valorian listened to Hammer describe the result of the weaponry, and he sighed, looking at the metallic veins covering his hand. "Well, you know, sometimes memories and free will are overrated. But I’ve seen enough mindless soldiers to be relatively unimpressed. If the weapon becomes more impressive than the soldier, then you haven’t really made good use of your resources. Having said that… is there someone here that might be able to help me with “de-cursing” myself?"

Holding up his hand towards Hammer, Val did the only thing he could given the situation… he shrugged.

Turning over the two blades was bittersweet… but Val was determined to find his own way, and not fall into being someone else’s pawn. Not yet anyways. Maybe after he’d finished what he came here to do, opportunities could present themselves.

Still, it wasn’t a total wash. Glancing over some of the trade-goods they were returning with, Val glanced a short-blade that looked appealing. Lifting the blade up, he swung it around a few times and could feel the lightness of the alloy. When he gently pressed his thumb against the blade, it bit rather quickly into the outermost layer of his skin, drawing a drop of blood. With some appreciation, Valorian begins what he’s become quite accustomed to now with his career thus far: haggling. First appealing to the party, then onto finding some way to make quick coin in this town… maybe if he found a dive that had a dart board…




OOC Alright… hopefully there’s a way to de-curse me pretty quickly, otherwise that’s something else I’m going to have to get checked up for, oiy.


 


 





__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 02:26 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is offline
Zero Nonsense
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 29366
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 7,856
Snap Kick
right-aligned image


Snap Kick seems anxious as Squeeks leads him away from Valkyrie, and he hops back and forth from one foot to the other, making the examination difficult. He appears to be more worried about the ship than himself, and at one point even beseeches the shaman, "You must repair him! Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them." With that enigmatic speech given, the kenku is declared fit, if possibly a bit rattled.

To his happy surprise, Hammer beckons him over and begins to negotiate a piloting job. As it sinks in that weeks of the weightless feeling of hovercraft travel are being discussed, the monk actually turns a cartwheel before springing back to his feet and having the decency to look abashed.







 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:29 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 2nd, 2024
RPXP: 19919
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,476
Morgan
right-aligned image

For their return trip Morgan had to resolve herself to take another trip with Valkyrie, but knowing that it was her duty to accompany the AI and also because splitting the pack would have been folly, she pulled through. The other adventurers could not see her discomfort at driving with the magical vehicle on her face, but the water genasi showed clearly through her body language that she would never share Snapkick's newfound love for the craft.

After reuniting with Hammer, Morgan was finally able to relax. In the end, she had been awake more than a day by now and rest was more and more on her mind. The nightly ambush had proven the precaution of staying awake wise, but even though their battles had been thoroughly victorious, her primordial flesh reminded her that she couldn't go on like this indefinitely. Maybe being near the water has reminded me where I'm from, that we persevere. My gods know me strong.. after my last failure returning from Xyco I have now proven that it is true.

Morgan still pulled through to listen intently as Hammer explained about the cursed swords. Knowing that they had been exactly what she feared, the primordial woman was glad when she also learned that Valorian would not lose himself before his will in the West Marches could be achieved. She still felt compelled to take up his task as well, but she also knew that she currently was in no state to make such decisions. But even then she had also learned something she didn't know about before. A name. "Friend Hammer.. This Qids.. is he of Lalira and the revolution? Has.. he sent these assassins after us? Is he the bugbear of whom Semchis spoke?" Even if the cleric's conjuncture might end up being wrong, having a name behind the man who employed rogue artifacts of the Trinity to destabilize the West Marches was precious to Morgan. It could give her a target. A name others might remember her by in the future...

The last point of interest before Morgan could finally sleep were some trade goods for Breena that Hammer was eager to present to the group. The hunter-gatherer tiredly observed Valorian interesting himself for a sword, sharpened to a degree that seemed unnatural. Umberlee's own had rarely ever worked with blades in the past, the weight of a hammer or mace more comfortable in her hand though at first it might seem like an unlikely weapon to hunt with. As her tribe hailed from the ocean, piercing weapons had been mostly favoured of course, but there was strength and pride in dominating their foes with blunt wrath underneath the waves. And as the Speaker, Morgan of course had had to appear strong to her brethren.

Once again Morgan recalled her life when she had been young, when she was still learning of Umberlee and how to provide for the tribe. Even then she hadn't fit in with those she loved dearly. Since she was a child she had been near unable to show emotions and even to her tribe of survival minded primordials she had stuck out sorely. And not just that had set her apart from the others, it was always Morgan's mindset that had confused them most. Where they saw need and survival, the young Morgan had searched for beauty and purpose. Her wish for purpose and the desire to care for those around her had in the end set her on the odd path of becoming a life cleric even as a devotee to Umberlee, but when she became speaker that part had never been belittled as much as her inclination to seek out what didn't just exist underneath the waves.

Even before she had learned about Silvanus and the mysteries of life above, even when she had been a fledgeling genasi, Morgan had found something to keep her interest that her tribe did not understand. She didn't remember exactly how long it had been, but years ago Morgan had started to collect things she would find things among the sunken shipwrecks on the oceans floor. Of course she was taught not to challenge the Wavemother for what she had claimed from those foolish enough to find her ire, but Umberlee could be fickle and Morgan surmised she wouldn't care anymore for things that now just looked discarded. Over time the young primordial managed to collect various things that she found interesting, but one thing she dearly loved was when she could add bells to her collection, metallic instruments of various shapes and forms that carried their sound throughout the ocean if they were rung. Her tribe had thought her idle when they finally found Morgan practising on her bells and at the time this thought had wounded her greatly. Truthfully it stung even know when she was the last remembering those times because it would always remind her that the odd one out had survived what none had deserved.

Rescuing herself from drowsing off, Morgan shook her head and her green eyes fell back on the other things Hammer was inspired to show off. The water genasi managed to refocus herself on the sorian's words, just in time to hear her appraise the last piece. "And this here is what we call a holographic instrument. For now it might just look like an odd reversion of a fingerless glove, but once its wielder attunesinterfaces with it, then it will become a fully-fledged instrument. Holographic means that it uses light to make shapes appear that come from the musician's mind. The instrument itself is also played by interacting with a holographic UI. It could appear as the spectral shape of a piano or strings made of light that can be played like a harp. The instrument will take a suitable shape that it draws from the user's mind. Then the player will be able to produce sounds by interacting with the holographic instrument by touching it with these finger parts right here. Some say it's the perfect instrument because it neurally draws most of its effects from the musician's memories. I bet Breena will be overjoyed to investigate this tool!"

Haggled by a tired mind, Morgan still was awake enough that Xyco's wonders could capture her once again. "Friend Hammer.. I.. am not sure if I understand.. but does this mean it can be any instrument I recall? Even one that otherwise wouldn't exist? Please.. explain to me more.. Can you teach me how to use this.. holographic instrument...?" Again Morgan vividly recalled her small orchestra of bells that she had kept in a small chasm on the ocean floor, hidden away from prying eyes by the surrounding smokers. She hadn't played since she had been admonished by her forefathers, she never even had approached a bell or chime since she had left the sea. But the idea of reclaiming that part of her past, now that not even that small little chasm existed... Somehow that idea appeared very dear to the lone survivor, even though her life was for her gods, and even more so to gain remembrance for her tribe. I might be unsuited as a musician.. But this magic of the Trinity seems harmless. I.. also need to take care of my heart, to succeed inside the West Marches...

 

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 3rd, 2021 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:07 AM
purplerook's Avatar
purplerook purplerook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2024
RPXP: 13068
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Posts: 13,676
OOC
A few points:
  • Semchis and Valkyrie are only available in Downtimes and specific Xyco adventures
  • If there is player interest, Valkyrie will likely appear in a future adventure where the PCs go into the bowels of Xyco (and perhaps the Ship itself) in search of knowledge and components to upgrade Valkyrie

IC Wrap-up"Friend Hammer... This Qids.. is he of Lalira and the revolution? Has.. he sent these assassins after us? Is he the bugbear of whom Semchis spoke?" asked Morgan.

Hammer laughed sarcastically, "Rather the opposite. Qids is one of the few members of the Master Race who survived the Revolution. When Xyco was detached from the ship, he sought to take over Xyco using his command codes. However, something or someone had purged Justin of his memories, and so there are no command codes that will sway Justin from his appointed duties. Justin has judged Qids a threat to the Revolution, and so Qids skulks in the Wilderness, plotting to take over again."

"Friend Hammer.. I.. am not sure if I understand.. but does this mean it can be any instrument I recall? Even one that otherwise wouldn't exist? Please.. explain to me more... Can you teach me how to use this.. holographic instrument...?" asked Morgan

Hammer chuckled, "What your kind calls magic is actually in the Neural Machine Interface. And so, I can craft it into any musical instrument that you can imagine. However, choose carefully because it will be forever a part of that Instrument once it is integrated."

"You must repair him! Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them."

Squeeks smiled at Snapkick's offer. "In fact, I think that you have donated the most valuable thing for Valkyrie - yourself. No one really knows how to work on an assault shuttle, and I doubt that anyone in Xyco would willingly interface with the Vehicle Repair Kit. Hammer has cobbled the vehicle together. However, I would dare say that you are the only one who really understands how everything works."
__________________
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his | Posting Daily |Location:Eastern US. GMT-5
Oath of Sangus | Shared World (new players welcome) The West Marches
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB