Game Thread Chapter 1: The mean streets of Absalom - Page 18 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 2e > Agent's of Edgewatch
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #256  
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 27507
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,652
The Stockyard
right-aligned image
The last battle to reclaim Knight’s Marvelous Menagerie opens with a stunning magical flourish from Brevo. The clever magic leaves the blood covered horned bunny staring in drool inducing wonder at the halfling mage. Ramsay uses the opportunity to stride confidently forward to smack the somewhat cute creature with his shield.

Surprisingly… the rabbit weathers the blow quite well and rather than collapse to the floor, the bunny slowly turns its murderous gaze towards the human. It slowly begins to thump its feet… thump… thump…

The thumping is briefly interrupted by a deft strike from Lukos that adds the blood of the critter to the sticky mess covering the floor. The thump… thumping continues until the rabbit launches itself through the air as it tries to spear Ramsay through the throat with its magnificent horn. The attack, while done with gusto, is easily turned away by the warrior’s shield.

From Lukos’ left a slight buzzing noise announces the approach of the flash beetle. The oversized insect lives up to its moniker, unleashing a blinding flash of light that catches Lukos and Ramsay directly in the face. As the two try to avert their gaze, the beetle flies over the short dwarf and while doing so bites him in the back of the skull with its wickedly sharp mandibles.

OocLukos is hit for 4 damage. Lukos and Ramsay must make a DC 17 Fortitude save or be dazzled for 1 minute.Khartum and Phenex are up

Map
 


DM Dashboard
 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old May 1st, 2021, 01:31 AM
FraterChad's Avatar
FraterChad FraterChad is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2021
RPXP: 1714
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Posts: 258
Phenex Anselmo
right-aligned image

Phenex Anselmo would not be denied a hug. Obviously, the current situation playing out was not that conducive for the (platonic) physical intimacy the half-elf was yearning for--and, more importantly, to give--but the thought became a worm in his brain that began to demand attention even as things grew considerably more stressful once again. Phenex watched from the sidelines, still unsure of how to truly fit in with the other agents, and watched as they lined up and crashed through the Menagerie door. They were greeted by an adorable unicorn-bunny.

"Oh! Angela had one of those!" Phenex exclaimed, his lips curling into a genuine smile and completely unaware that the other agents had no idea who in all of Golarion Angela was or the fact that her almiraj was the stuffed variety and splitting at the seams. Brevo raced into the open hallway and immediately blasted the bunnicorn with a mental energy before Ramsay and Lukos charged in behind him. The almiraj met the agents' charge by lobbing itself, horn-first, toward them but was batted away by his shield, though Lukos did not make it out of the round unscathed: Phenex watched on in horror as a flash beetle sampled some of the dwarf's neck flesh before trying to blind him and Ramsay.

Phenex saw blood and light, and then he saw red. The portly dwarf had put himself in harm's way so many times throughout their short time together, and the thought of his companion being felled once more sent the cleric into a fit of rage. The half-elf called out to Sarenrae in their shared language, his prayer more furious pleading than mystical supplication. The Flower of Dawn heard him and knew his heart, knew the pain of his past loss, knew his fear for his dwarven friend, and she danced with him in the limitless light.

And Phenex would defy her.

The cleric felt the magic of sanctuary flowing through his hands like scintillating, pearlescent light. The spell was for Lukos, to shield him from the constant barrage, but Phenex knew he couldn't simply seal away the warrior and expect him to sit back and watch. Sarenrae would have to understand.

Phenex slapped the spell onto himself, pushed past Lukos and Ramsay, and then attempted to wedge himself in the space between the two wild creatures while cursing and howling to get their attention off of his friends.


OOC
Actions 1&2: Casting Sanctuary on self
Action 3: Attempting to wedge between Ramsay and Lukos and screaming at the flash beetle and bunnicorn. I've already repositioned my token on Roll20, but Phenex might be cut off by opportunity attacks.

 


Last edited by FraterChad; May 1st, 2021 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:32 AM
DAquilina's Avatar
DAquilina DAquilina is offline
Distanced, Socially
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 18648
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Posts: 7,695
Khartum Belzzat
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
In true Edgewatch fashion, things seemed to go downhill fairly quickly for the ragtag team of law enforcers. The meat shields were doing a fine job of keeping the bunny at bay, but Lukos ample buttocks were left wide open for some anthropod nibbles while his attention was focused elsewhere.

They were working together now, but the chaotic scene before the drow spoke volumes about how far they had to go before they could be considered a coordinated unit. Khartum, for his part, wasn't much used to working with others, and from the look of things, he wasn't the only one. This job -- particularly the events of the day -- was a far cry from what they all anticipated.

A hoot from his shoulder snapped the ranger back to reality. He suddenly realized that his vantage point meant that he had not yet joined the fray. Even Phenex the newcomer had thrown himself into the middle of the brawl to try and pry the monstrous insect from their resident dwarf's shoulder, and here he was looking on like a fool.

Cursing under his breath, he tightened his grip on the net and rushed forward. Using his momentum to add force to the throw, he spun as he approached the melee and launched the net toward the feasting beetle. It was big, for a bug, but as the ropes encircled it the sheer weight of the material and the perfection of the placement pulled it to the group in a heap.

As the movement finished, he pointed with his offhand toward the other animal.

"Nightwing, help with the rabbit. Let's finish this thing."
OOC-- ACTIONS ----
1: Move to token's location
2: Grapple attempt with net (23 - critical success vs DC 15 FORT; no bonus to escape since he is adjacent)
3: Command Nightwing
'-> 1: Move to token location
'-> 2: Beak attack on bunnicorn (15 vs 16 AC - miss)
STATS
 
__________________
Agents of Edgewatch | P6 Arena | Severed Bonds
See something you like? Nominate it for Post of the Month!
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Been crazy busy, sorry for any delays
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old May 5th, 2021, 10:22 AM
Chrystrom's Avatar
Chrystrom Chrystrom is online now
Fork! Knife! Spoon!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 20323
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Posts: 7,974
Lukos
right-aligned image

Lukos groans as his eyes are assaulted by the bright bioluminescence of the flash beetle. Suddenly the dwarf’s whole world is covered in glowing spots and afterimages. His groan quickly climbs several octaves into a yelp when the beetle’s mandibles bite down onto the back of his bald head, tearing out a chunk of skin, and leaving a profusely bleeding wound.

The rotund dwarf spins to follow the flash beetle’s flight, only to see the overgrown insect neatly netted by Khartum. So, Lukos rotates back to face the fluffy, but now not so cute, bunnicorn only to find the new cleric standing in his way.

Ruination, dang clerics never there when you need them and seemingly in the way when you don’t. Although I have to give this one some credit, he’s been mighty helpful so far today…now if he’d just get his dang backside out of my way.

Lukos squints his eyes, trying to see through the aftereffects of the flash beetle’s visual assault, when he thinks he sees something resembling the fluffy outline of the bunnicorn he prepares to thrust his polearm through the space between Phenex and Ramsay.

”Hey lads, watch yourselves…don’t want to accidently run either of you through. That might put a damper on this fine day we are having,” the dwarf calls out, his voice dripping in weary sarcasm.

Lukos’ first jab with his polearm just slips over the bunnicorn’s head. The dwarf pulls his weapon back and thrusts it forward again for a second strike, this time aiming a little lower. Though he can only see vague outlines, he feels a definite solid hit with this second jab. Hoping that it is truly the bunnicorn and not one of his squad mates he’s poking, Lukos jabs his polearm forward a third time, this time he is rewarded with a very solid thunk at the end of the weapon.


OOC
 


 


+

Last edited by Chrystrom; May 5th, 2021 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:37 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 27507
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,652
The Stockyard
right-aligned image
And just like that… Knight’s Marvelous Menagerie descends into silence… silence save the frightened cries coming from behind the southern doors. It takes a few moments to force the doors open, they had been barricaded with heavy pieces of wood stripped from a climbing structure shaped like a jungle tree.

As the doors creep open they reveal a small room that is stiflingly warm thanks to a large stove in the northeast corner. To the east, the bars of a large cage with back walls painted to resemble a jungle scene have been rusted through. To the south, several small glass cases contain snakes that hiss and lunge ineffectually at the glass.

Two zookeepers, male and female humans, sit huddled in what appears to be the giant viper’s empty cage, along with a half-dozen petrified zoo patrons. All are terrified and unwilling to leave the safety of the reptile exhibit.

OocCombat is over!

Map
 


DM Dashboard
 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep

Last edited by Begon Ugo; May 8th, 2021 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old May 8th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Chrystrom's Avatar
Chrystrom Chrystrom is online now
Fork! Knife! Spoon!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 20323
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Posts: 7,974
Lukos
right-aligned image

Lukos lets out a great sigh of relief as he watches the bunnicorn slump to the ground. His moustache ends flop in the gale of his exhalation. Then glancing around the room the dwarf hikes up his unseen belt and then says,

”Well lads, I’m stepping outside for a bit. If you need me, I’ll be out by the pond having a smoke. Any of you are welcome to join me before we call this a day, but I got to just have a sit and a smoke for a while to clear the cobwebs of this day out my head.”

With that Lukos steps out of the room with a weary tread and makes his way back outside. He exits the outer doors, then takes a few steps, and then settles down against the northern wall. From a deep pocket in his pack, he pulls out a long-stemmed pipe, a packet of tobacco, and his flint and steel. Slowly, almost meditatively, Lukos packs his pipe, using his thick and calloused thumb to tamp down the tobacco. He then strikes up a few sparks, catching them in his pipe bowl, and slowly nurses the tobacco alight. Finally, with a deep breath, a breath that seems to let all the frustrations, fears, and griefs of the day just blow away, Lukos exhales out a great cloud of smoke. He then tips his head back and rest it against the cold stone of the wall behind him and just watches the clouds scuttle by as he sends up cloud after cloud of his own.


OOC
 


 


+
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old May 8th, 2021, 11:41 PM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 5262
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 1,941
Ramsay Rose
left-aligned image
The end came not with a bang or a whimper, but with a dwarf. Lukos, a near thrice victim of his own brand of luckless misfortune, gave the pointy rabbit a meaty bonk that left it motionless, before retreating to the twin comforts of smoke and solitude. Beyond, Ramsay could hear the frightened, huddled breathing of the zoo patrons and attendants. They had seemingly no intention of coming out any time soon, and Ramsay didn't care enough to make them. "Show's over, come on out folks," he said disinterestedly. He had nothing more to give in this moment. The threats were neutralized, and the people who could be saved were. He was done for the day.

On the way out the door, he gave their well-timed cleric a hug of appreciation, much like a brother or teammate would give to another who had shared a similar ordeal. "Thanks, Phenex, you saved our bacon out here. Proud to have you alongside us." His eyes were tired, but his words were warm and kind, albeit weary. Ramsay slipped sluggishly out of the hug and left the building.

Outside, away from the nauseating smells of the animals, Ramsay had a moment to himself to breathe. His arms were shaking, his muscles felt worn out, and his shoulder throbbed where the ankhrav had very nearly penetrated into his soft flesh. His underclothes felt soaked with sweat and likely some blood as well, and his back was sagging under the weight of his arms and armor. He had a feeling that he should be staying with the others, but he also knew that he definitely didn't care a whit about what he was supposed to do. No. Ramsay Rose would take a half a damned minute and do something that he wanted for a change.

He made his way through the fairgrounds, walking bent-backed and slow, until he made his way to where he had last seen the pretty juice girl earlier that day, a lifetime ago. He looked a sight and likely smelled worse, but his look and smell was him at his most honest and vulnerable. He made his way over to where the pretty lady stood and looked her in the eyes.

"Hi. I'm Ramsay. It's been a long day, and you are a sight for sore eyes. I'd love to give you a kiss, and then I'd like to take you to dinner some time, when I'm not fighting wild monsters. That alright?"


 
__________________
Generally available after midnight/early mornings, EST. I haven't taken any oath, but I do my best to stay on top of the games I'm in.
Posting status: here
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old May 9th, 2021, 12:50 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Voice of Antiquity
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 13814
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 2,574
Brevo Brimful
right-aligned image
It was finally over. Over! There was no one and nothing left that still constituted a danger to the people of Absalom and the heroic -if Brevo said so himself- Edgewatch. No more furry, scaly and chitinous beasts ready to claw, bite, petrify or poison them to death. No more skin-dissolving acidic baths and horrific howls that made one want to wet their pants. No more „bachizards“, „teddybirds“, androgynous and unimaginatively named rust-monsters, hysterically laughing „doggies“ with hideous teeth and a breath to match, „penguinocide“ committing serpents, huge cockroach-lobsters, oversized radiant beetles and deceptively cuddly „bunicorns“. No more surprises and no more dragons in closets - at least the halfling hoped there were no dragons around! It was really, really over. And they had survived.

But their work was not yet over. Far from it in fact!

Lukos‘ almost palpable exhaustion, both physical and mental, made Brevo want to give his stout dwarven companion a hug as tight as his respect and love for him and not let go until Lukos started turning blue, but he stopped himself. There were times for companionship and there were times when one just wanted to be left alone and be allowed to smoke their pipe in peace and quiet. Ramsay knew this too, though it was clear that he preferred companionship over loneliness and smoking - especially female companionship. The halfling wished him all the luck in the world - he really deserved it!

Turning to the Edgewatch members that were still around, namely Khartum and Phenex, Brevo gave them his very best, if somewhat shaky, smile.

[SAY]We did it, my friends. Despite the blood, the pain, the anguish and the tears we did our very best and, make no mistake, we saved lives today. We are true Edgewatch guards and should be proud of it! Now, may I count on you two a little longer? Phenex, would you please make sure that all survivors are taken care of and in no need of urgent healing? Khartum, you seem to be just the man to get to the bottom of the why behind it all. Was it negligence? Sabotage? Merely bad luck? I will make sure that all animals and magical beasts are securely contained, try to make a list of the people… ah… missing, and inform the headquarters that the situation is under control.

A single tear appeared in the halfling‘s eye, but Brevo quickly wiped it away. He was no longer a boy, though he might have looked like one. He was a man, a hardened Edgewatch guard, who had in a day experienced more than others do in a lifetime. There would be time enough for tears later. Now he had work to do.

"Come on, Tiny. Let‘s start with the clean up. I want you to look around for Morah. He can’t just have disappeared! I just hope he is all right… You didn’t see him go near the ankhrav, did you?"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Elanir; May 9th, 2021 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old May 10th, 2021, 10:40 AM
DAquilina's Avatar
DAquilina DAquilina is offline
Distanced, Socially
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 18648
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Posts: 7,695
Khartum Belzzat
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Khartum pulled in the net and its inhabitant with a snap of the rope, wrapping his arms around the writing, chittering creature to prevent it from breaking free of its temporary prison and wreaking further havoc upon the fairgrounds. Part of him wanted to just crush the thing and be done with it, but it was a wild animal, just exercising its nature. It certainly didn't deserve to die.

Instead, he moved his hands over the shell and shushed, trying to calm the insect as if it were a scared puppy. With his limited knowledge of bug physiology, it was all he could think to do.

"Okay, you're alright. We'll get you some leaves or whatever when you're back in your cage, but you've got to calm down. I know, I know, you're having a tough day, but we're gonna get through it, okay?"

It was not okay. Whether or not the thing understood his words seemed to be superseded by the fact that it was still confined in a small space and was being kept there by a hostile entity larger than itself. The result was a whole lot of writhing and a cacophony of agitated buzzing as the drow laboured toward the nearest cage with a working door and bars that weren't melted. He ended up dropping the thing in net and all to buy him some time to find a makeshift stopper to prevent the cage from swinging open until it could be properly secured by the zookeeper.

When it was done, he slumped back against the bars with a sigh.

"Just hang tight, buddy. You'll get out of that soon enough."

The ranger was more than ready for this day to be over, but Elanir was right: there was still work to do. He made his way over to the other survivors that Ramsay had discovered and held out his hand in greeting.

"Hi there, I'm Khartum of the Edgewatch. You're safe now, but I was hoping you could enlighten me bout what happened today. I know that it's a bit overwhelming, but anything you can tell me will help."
OOC-- ACTIONS ----
RP; Attempted to soothe the savage beast, but I only rolled a 6 on my Nature check...
STATS
 
__________________
Agents of Edgewatch | P6 Arena | Severed Bonds
See something you like? Nominate it for Post of the Month!
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Been crazy busy, sorry for any delays

Last edited by DAquilina; May 10th, 2021 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old May 11th, 2021, 03:53 PM
FraterChad's Avatar
FraterChad FraterChad is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2021
RPXP: 1714
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Posts: 258
Phenex Anselmo
right-aligned image

Phenex rushed into the fray, screaming and howling and generally making an ass out of himself--a distracting ass, per his half-baked plan. Not a handful of seconds later, Khartum had snatched the flash beetle into a bag and Lukos had bonked away the bunnicorn's consciousness, at least temporarily. Phenex found himself shouting into a rapidly quieting hallway, his dirty skin still shimmering with his own opalescent sanctuary spell. With mouth still agape, he cast his golden eyes to the rest of the Edgewatch as they began sifting through the scene; the cleric clamped his mouth shut with an audible gulp. Realization followed quickly behind: his sacrificial gambit was thoroughly unnecessary.

And then Ramsay, his childhood hero, wrapped an arm around him and gave him praise. Phenex was hard-pressed to remember a single time in his life were he experienced both of those in a singular moment, let alone from the Ramsay Rose. The cleric muttered something entirely incomprehensible as his fellow agent strode away from the scene, much as Lukos the dwarf had done a few moments prior. He got his hug after all--and more: watching Ramsay and Lukos depart, hearing Brevo the Brave's speech, and seeing Khartum maintain his poise and the captured beetle's dignity, Phenex realized he was in the midst of greatness, and he was with them.

Brevo wasn't the only one stifling back tears.

Phenex snorted and wiped his face clean with his hand, then quickly realized that was a rather vulgar display as a prestigious agent of Edgewatch. Even if only Brevo was before him, Phenex still bowed his head and apologized, then raised a fist to strike himself in the shoulder. If the orphanage had taught him anything, it was that physical correction worked very well and did not, in any way, cause untold amounts of deep-seated psychological trauma. He brought his fist up to strike himself, but found himself struggling to complete his "lesson." For a moment, his mind wandered back to his spell, whether the current struggle was his own mind grappling with a magically enhanced version of itself. It didn't matter; in the end, he shook his fist loose and let go of his embarrassment. "I'll...I will check on the survivors. Meet back at the precinct?"

With that, Phenex made his own retreat, guided by a new mission to check on those who survived the terrors of the day. He continued to shake himself loose, to practice what he would say when he found them: he only had one shot at making a good first impression, and he knew his ugly mug started him with a disadvantage. Eventually, he found who he was looking for, bowed, and said: "Hello new friends! Are any of you injured? I am here to help." Phenex would flash a warm, genuine smile, even if it only added to their concern given his mangled and gold-plated teeth.


ooc
Just RPing this time!

Last edited by FraterChad; May 11th, 2021 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old May 11th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 27507
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,652
The Stockyard
right-aligned image
It is over… truly over… and the wave of relief that falls over the Edgewatch agents is palpable. Lukos, the hardest physically hit of the group, finds his way outside, into the fresh air and away from the immediate reminders of the morning’s bloody mayhem. As he slowly walks away, into the sunlight, the frightened zoo patrons are coaxed from the defensive positions by Ramsay.

The two zookeepers step forward, relief showing on their faces as they quickly thank the agents and then they get right to work helping Khartum return the animals to secure cages. Before they can be questioned, a man steps forward, his shirt bloody, first towards Ramsay, and then seeing the man preoccupied, towards Brevo and Phenex, his face a mask of worry and grief. “Have you seen a young boy… Jerov? My son… we got separated by the ankharav… please?”

The pain evident in the man’s eyes makes it clear that he does not expect to hear good news. The two zoo employees meanwhile try to explain their version of events to the dark elf and the story seems to match well with what Remy had said earlier. It was an open secret among the staff that the zoo’s owner, Archibald Knight, was carrying on an illicit affair with the zoo’s veterinarian, Minera Frum. Nobody cared much, but the pair slipped off for a tryst a week ago and disappeared.

“They’ve never been gone for more than an evening before...but dammit they abandoned us! The blame for what happened is completely theirs! We did the best we could do in the circumstances… but who could have predicted the animals all going crazy?”



Map
 


DM Dashboard
 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old May 15th, 2021, 06:22 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Voice of Antiquity
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 13814
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 2,574
Brevo Brimful
right-aligned image
Had Brevo ever had cause to doubt his decision of joining the Edgewatch, any second thoughts would have immediately vanished the very moment he heard the man‘s trembling voice inquiring about his boy, Jerov. It seemed the halfling had been right about one thing at least. Jerov was lucky, exceedingly lucky, and his good fortune made in turn Brevo exceedingly happy!

"A thousand thanks to blessed Shelyn, I am so relieved to see you alive and well, sir! We thought… I thought… well, it doesn’t really matter now, does it? Worry not. Your son doesn’t have a single scratch on him, though the whole incident has been extremely traumatic for him. Still, it‘s nothing time and the love of a father can‘t heal. Let me take you to him right away! Follow me, please."

To witness the reunion of father and son, to see how the worry, the pain and the sorrow transformed to happiness and optimism was simply too much to resist and Brevo let his tears flow freely. It was like he was four again and crying over a skinned knee or a broken toy, only this time his were tears of gratitude, not pain or sorrow. He had stopped hoping that there could be a „happy end“ to this horrible day and he was so glad to have been proved wrong, so thankful.

Thank you for this unexpected gift, o Eternal Maiden, thank you! There truly is beauty in everything…

How long he had been crying, Brevo didn’t know, couldn’t even guess, but when his tears finally dried up he felt much lighter than before, as if a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Realizing that the man and the boy were still embracing each other, the halfling left as silently and discreetly as possible. They would no doubt have wished to thank him soon and at the moment Brevo felt too „little“, too „unworthy“ to accept such high praise. No, it was better he went about his business. His companions were much better suited to be the „face“ of the Edgewatch. He had an elven companion to locate and a dwarven sergeant to notify about the recent happenings. He could delay no longer.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old May 15th, 2021, 06:45 PM
DAquilina's Avatar
DAquilina DAquilina is offline
Distanced, Socially
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 18648
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Posts: 7,695
Khartum Belzzat
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Upon hearing the name "Jerov," Khartum immediately stepped aside. He knew the prompt would cause some outpouring of emotion from his magical companions, and it didn't take long for his prophecy to come to fruition. As the halfling led the child's father away for a teary reunion, he kept to himself until the air cleared a little and he could continue his questioning, holding on hard to his professional veneer.

The story about the veterinarian, in particular, struck him as important. Some of the dots were connecting, but not all of them. He was missing something.

"You say that Mr. Knight and Mz. Frum have been carrying on for some time. What do you mean by that? Were they just seen together regularly, or was there any evidence of a more-than-professional relationship? Do you know where they've gone? Did Mz. Frum see the animals before she left? What about their food?"
OOC-- ACTIONS ----
RP
STATS
 
__________________
Agents of Edgewatch | P6 Arena | Severed Bonds
See something you like? Nominate it for Post of the Month!
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Been crazy busy, sorry for any delays

Last edited by DAquilina; May 15th, 2021 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old May 20th, 2021, 08:40 PM
FraterChad's Avatar
FraterChad FraterChad is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 14th, 2021
RPXP: 1714
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Posts: 258
Phenex Anselmo
right-aligned image

Phenex was happy that Brevo handled reuniting the surviving boy, Jerov, and his father. The scene brought everyone to tears, all but the dagger-eared cleric. Phenex watched as Jerov was brought out and embraced by his father, how the grown men nearly crumpled to his knees in gratitude and relief, how the gods were invoked and thanked for the small victories of the day (and make no mistake, Sarenrae remained always on Phenex's mind)...yet, Phenex couldn't help but fixate on Jerov's eyes.

He cried tears of joy but Jerov's eyes were grey and placid even with the liquid sheen of emotion coating them. Phenex knew the look well. The thing's the boy must have seen; the things he will see over and over in those hypnagogic times when the veil between Golarion and the Dreamlands is weak and the monsters of the past are free to roam and roar. His father might have his own trauma from the day, but Jerov would be older today, a sliver of innocence permanently stained in this spot.

It still smelled like rust and ozone. Jerov would remember the smell--scents stain the mind the most. Phenex cleared the phantom smell of iron and dank mud from his nose and bent down to his knees, his eyes level with Jerov's just as they had been back before the ankhrav fell. Phenex held out a fist. Jerov looked at his father with confusion before the man stood up to full height once more; Phenex remained bent at his knees and mutely bobbed his fist in the air. Eventually, the boy mimicked the action, a small grin forming across his face. He clashed fists with Phenex and, on contact, Phenex let out a melodramatic yelp and tumbled over, rolling and howling and holding his fist as if it were crushed to dust.

"Y'oww! You're too strong, my friend!" Phenex cheered, still prone on the floor. Jerov smiled; Phenex smiled, and then the two laughed. Laughter helps. Eventually, Phenex rose back to his feet, his grim façade still pulled into a laugh-happy grin. "Being strong is not just beating the bad guys, though. True strength comes from being true to yourself, my friend. The nights will be hard, and it is okay to cry. I still cry--Brevo cries all the time, and he's the bravest guy I know!" Phenex laughed heartily but his eyes remained still. "Just know that the Edgewatch is here for you." He paused, his hand suddenly retrieving his symbol of the Dawn Flower. "And I'm obligated to say that Lady Sarenrae has shown brightly upon us this day."

After Jerov and his father left, Phenex turned to Brevo before the wizard escaped to find the others. "My friend, a moment," he waited for Brevo to turn back around. "Apologies if I insulted you to the boy and his father," he started. Phenex was not, in fact, concerned about the potential insult--he knew Brevo didn't actually take offense given his reaction at the time. Phenex actually wanted a reason to say this: "I will meet you all back at the precinct, assuming this matter is resolved at least for the day. I left my lunch back in one of the merchant tents and I am starving," he lied. He didn't wait for approval.


Phenex, again
 

Phenex retreated into a dark, unoccupied space nearby. He didn't know where, nor did he really care. Everything vibrated; Phenex could feel his vision narrowing, felt his heart thumping like a war drum as sweat beaded across his khaki skin. Even in the dark, Phenex felt the eyes, the endless stares of phantasms long suppressed, their voices calling out and reminding him that he was alone, unworthy, a dagger-eared bastard left to rot in the mud with all of the others. He knew they were true; he shook free the calming light of the Dawn, their voices eclipsing her's. She would be patient; she always was with him. Phenex was broken, his innumerable tattoos the visible cracks of his psyche laid bare.

He collapsed into a chair, falling in to it at the wrong angle and causing it to shatter beneath him. He fell to the floor, the pain in his back and side a reminder that he was alive. It wasn't enough, though. In the dark, he unsheathed his knife and painted new lines of trauma onto his arms. He could feel the hot paint running loose against his canvas, his exposed ink burning. It was never enough, but it was a kickstart for the real escape. He fiddled with his pack, staining it with own scarlet paint, and found a healing potion. He smiled in the dark, then popped the cork and downed the bitter liquid. "Faint taste of cinnamon, allspice, and a pinch of sugar--well made," Phenex noted as his skin suddenly began to tingle. The tingling led to burning, a fiery itching that was as satisfying as it was distracting. He needed the distraction, and it worked: the voices of the past were gone replaced with the buzzing ecstasy of pure positive energy rushing to stitch him back together: a broken boy held together by bottled magic and memories.

Phenex didn't know how long he spent in the dark, but it couldn't have been long. It was never long enough. Maybe one day he would find the real score, get shunted off into the Positive Energy Plane to swell up and burst like a miniature star. It didn't matter. He pushed open the door back into the light of day, looking as good as new, and left to reunite with the other agents.


OOC
Phenex popped a healing potion, healing for 4 HP.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old May 21st, 2021, 06:24 AM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 19th, 2021
RPXP: 5262
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 1,941
Ramsay Rose
left-aligned image
It was about ten or fifteen minutes before Ramsay wandered back to where he’d last seen the others. He’d taken his time, working through the politely firm rejection in his head as he walked, oblivious to the shellshocked eyes and tear-streaked faces, the gore and the rust and the fruit, the cages and smells – this wasteland where once was joy. Like my heart, he thought, as another pang went through him. The young lady had been cleaning up a bunch of spilled cups and knocked over juice dispensers when he’d found her, and he’d taken the time to help her get her shop right. It wasn’t too bad of a job, easier because his hands weren’t shaking as much as hers. She still seemed frightened even with the danger being over, and he decided to not elaborate about what had gone on in the ankhrav room when she asked if everyone was alright. All he’d said was, ”It’s bad, but it could have been worse.” Ramsay didn’t know how the boy had lucked to get into the cage and survive, but he sent a quick prayer to the gods that he’d at least had the sense to close his eyes.

After her stall had been returned more-or-less to normal, he’d thrown his pitch, asking the young woman for a kiss and a dinner date. She’d said ”Thank you, er, Ramsay, that’s very sweet. I’m… flattered, truly I am, but… no. It’s not that you’re not handsome-!” she started to say, before realizing what she’d blurted. ”I just, it’s been an awful day, and my mind is elsewhere. But you’re very kind.” She’d given him her smile at least, and he returned it, though inside he was aching.

Ramsay understood. Alright, he was trying to understand. He was new to rejection, new to these feelings of opening to others and saying what he felt, not just what was on the surface. He thought about that as he walked, kicking aside the odd piece of fruit that had rolled onto the path. He felt like he might be growing up, and the thought scared him a bit. He was nearly on the wrong side of his thirties and was still living like he was twenty-two. If he didn’t find a purpose in this life, or someone to share it with…

But then he was with with other members of the Edgewatch, and the fear that he might die alone and friendless was pushed aside. ”Hey guys. Where’s… anyone seen Phenex?”

 
__________________
Generally available after midnight/early mornings, EST. I haven't taken any oath, but I do my best to stay on top of the games I'm in.
Posting status: here
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB