Game Thread Act Two: Into the Knot - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Way of the Wicked
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 29280
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,942
Day 3: Manor: 26th of Erastus| Light mist/few cloudsSurprisingly, Moriah steps forward first. The witch inches her way forward into the nondescript room, opening her feral senses to the slightest tingling of magic. She detects nothing.

Ooc In your post detail where you move! For example, I move 3 left and two down. If you do not do this I will interpret your movement in the worst way possible. Also double check the GM dashboard and check my info against yours.


 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Aug 10th, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 08:04 AM
Tahril's Avatar
Tahril Tahril is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 3224
Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril
Posts: 847
The first lesson
right-aligned image


Fully rested, armed, armoured, and shielded, Juliet is finally fully in her element. As she reads the words above the first room she can’t help but find them oddly comforting. Deceive your enemies, but never yourself. Her signing of the contract, her willingness to serve Asmodeus, all of it was deception. But she would never engage in self deceit.

Despite the rooms ominous buildup and presentation, there seemed to be nothing dangerous about it, as proven by when Moriah was able to enter the room unmolested. The Witches caution was well deserved however, and Juliet observed the room carefully through her admired visor. Detecting nothing out of the ordinary, she raised her shield and slowly walking forward, bracing herself for whatever the room had to offer. Despite her distaste with her various companions she couldn’t avoid a sense of necessary cooperation, and her natural sense of heroics started to rear its head.

“Just stay behind me.”




 

Link to Character Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=87558

Last edited by Tahril; Aug 11th, 2021 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 05:00 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Voice of Antiquity
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 16228
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 3,027
Ten
right-aligned image
Tiadora‘s long, clawed fingers closed around the young warrior’s head like a woodworker‘s vise, powerful and unyielding. Ten knew that it would cost this devil woman no effort at all to crush his skull between her hands like the shell of an egg or rip off his skin in long, bloody strips. Her touch, even the mere closeness of her body, disgusted him more than anything he had experienced before, but he would not give her the pleasure of seeing him flinch. He remained still as a stone, his breathing even, his gaze still focused on Dostan‘s angry eyes.

"As you command, Lady. Perhaps, another time."

Another time…

*****

"The true way is no path, boy. It is a staircase. A staircase with nine steps, each steeper and more slippery than the last."

Ten looked at Old Geron, his eyes full of determination.

"Teach me how to climb these steps, Master. I will do everything I must to ascend."

Laughter was Ten‘s reply, a hollow, bestial laughter, like a bear growling inside a deep cave.

"Ascend? Oh no, boy, you will not be ascending. I will not be teaching you the false rites of Mitra. The staircase leads to the bowels of the earth, not the heaven. There lies the true power, hidden from all but the One who possesses it. And you must prove to Him that you are worthy of it."

The boy puffed out his scrawny chest as if that was proof enough.

"I am worthy."

Old Geron looked at Ten silently for a moment, his face inscrutable. Suddenly, he smiled.

"We shall see. Know that upon each step a lesson is inscribed. These lessons you must not merely learn, but make a part of you - better yet, you must become the sum of these lessons. Can you do that?"

"I can."

"Many have claimed they could, but few have succeeded. Very well, you‘ll get your chance. Now listen carefully. The first lesson teaches us that…"

*****

Deception is a tool. Self-deception is death. Deceive always thy enemy, but never thyself.

"Stop!"

Ten‘s hand grabbed Juliet by the shoulder, stopping her from moving to the center of the room as she intended. Contrary to Moriah, the lady knight, true to her fashion, wanted to meet face to face whatever danger awaited them. It would not do, not now, not in this room of deception.

"Wait. Let‘s give this some thought. Where lies the deception we must avoid? Is the emptiness of the room meant to deceive us? The floor or the door or even the roof could be trapped. Also, there is but a single exit leading out of it. What if there is another passage, a secret one? Finally, we perceive the light of the lamp as beneficial, but what if it is meant to blind us? What would the darkness reveal? What if the oil it consumes is poisonous, able to give rise to hallucinations and phantasms of the mind?"

Letting go of the knight, Ten looked at the rest of his companions. In their group each one had a certain expertise. Some would be better suited to deal with the tests of each room than others. If they were to succeed in their task, they would have to rely upon their strengths and avoid exposing their weaknesses.

"Let Barr make sure that the way is free of traps first, then we extinguish the lamp‘s flame, if possible from afar. If the darkness reveals us nothing, we make light of our own." Ten took out the ioun stone Barr had given him and presented it to Juliet. "Then we search the walls for levers and hidden passages. If our search yields no results, we exit the room through that door, but not us our true selves."

Suddenly, it was Cardinal Adrastus Thorn that was talking to Juliet, Ten having used the power of his iron circlet to take the Master‘s form.

"It is possible that the room will only reveal its secrets to its Master. Let‘s find out, shall we?"


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 02:12 AM
Bluejack's Avatar
Bluejack Bluejack is offline
Overlord of Imagination
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 19th, 2021
RPXP: 26301
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
Posts: 9,579
Barr Demarco
left-aligned image
Barr sighed inside when they were tasked with solving nine rooms. Like dogs and hoops. Barr watched while Moriah and then Juliet moved into the first room, and carefully inspected the area.

"What is the first test, then? All sorts of things in nine rooms. A challenge for brains, brawn, magic, more!" Barr spoke with a faux-enthusiasm. He was not excited about being a pawn. There was no other way forward, so here they were.

Barr looked at the room. He took it in and let his mind do the work. He considered the stone, the architecture, the age of the place. Anything Barr could use to their benefit.


 

 
__________________
To the Callhill 5E: Baldur's Gate (DM), The Book of Orcus (DM), Giants and Beyond (PC) Out of the Abyss (PC), Rime of the Frostmaiden (PC) , Masks of Nyarlhotep (PC); Taveler:Chthon Star (PC), Curse of Strahd (PC). Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Bluejack; Aug 12th, 2021 at 02:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 06:16 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2021
RPXP: 31664
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 30,875
BaltarBaltar releases a charming wink at the white witch before turning his back to the white Ravens. Getting to know her better will have to wait. They could be allies, competitors, or enemies. Only time will tell.

* * *

It's time to get back to business as Baltar and his companions are getting into the gauntlet. Baltar walks into the center of the room, with little concern about traps for now. He remains there and examines the room for secret doors or unpleasant surprises. - " Ramona would have loved those trials. " He looks at the door ahead. - " This door could be the deception. "

OOCPerception check is 23 (natural 20!)

Move two squares to the EAST.


 
__________________
Alive and well!

Last edited by MoonZar; Aug 13th, 2021 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 08:26 AM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 29280
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,942
Day 3: Manor: 26th of Erastus| Light mist/few cloudsCaution… that is a good place to start. The first of the lessons consisted of a nondescript room. Barr and Baltar, keen eyed, see that there is more to the room. Barr steps to the north, running his hand along the wall. A secret door reveals a small concealed niche. Inside that niche is a small pedestal that holds a jewel that glows with pale blue light. It is cold to the touch. There is another inscription: “Thou hast seen through deception to uncover a useful tool.”

At the same time Baltar looks to the south, he too finds a secret door. The door slides away to reveal a passageway that leads to the south. The short passage from the north ends in a wooden door with another inscription: “Following the herd is for fools. Fear not their icy derision. Instead, fear only thy Infernal Lord.”

Inside the stone chamber, there are four doors – each facing a cardinal direction. The entire chamber seems strangely cold. The ground is dirty and dusty. This room is also lit with a small oil lantern that hangs from the ceiling. There is a small amount of frost on the lantern’s glass panes.

The western door is covered in a strange pulsating violet mold.


Ooc
 


In your post detail where you move! For example, I move 3 left and two down. If you do not do this I will interpret your movement in the worst way possible. Also double check the GM dashboard and check my info against yours.


 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 05:24 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2021
RPXP: 31664
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 30,875
BaltarBaltar inspect their first treasure. - " That's a piece of quartz, it's meant to release cold magically if broken. It's probably going to be useful later on in those trials. " The duke doesn't mind who is taking it, he's waiting to see if someone pick it up, otherwise he will*.

Following the herd is for fools. Fear not their icy derision. Instead, fear only thy Infernal Lord.

- " I'm moving in. Let's not open any door before we found the answer to the riddle. " Again Baltar is not afraid and moves a bit inside the room when everybody took note of his intentions. - " Chilly... brrr... " He inspects from a distance the three doors and the floor, particularly curious about the purple one.

OOCAppraise is 21
Perception check is 18

Move south four square from current position


 
__________________
Alive and well!

Last edited by MoonZar; Aug 14th, 2021 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Chrystrom's Avatar
Chrystrom Chrystrom is online now
Fork! Knife! Spoon!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 24832
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Posts: 8,689
Moriah
right-aligned image

As Baltar once again charges into the middle of the room, Moriah taps her lips with one long finger.

”That last room was definitely too…easy. I can’t believe that the Cardinal sent us down here to waltz through a series on empty rooms. There are going to be more difficult tests ahead of us and rushing blindly into them seems like utter foolishness.” The young witch says this with a raised eye brow in Baltar’s general direction. ”I know I don’t have the experience the rest of you have but a bit of caution does seem like it might be wise here.”

Moriah again turns her Detect Magic and a Perception Check = 20arcane sight onto the room before them, searching for magical auras or more mundane clues. Once that search is done she glances upwards to the inscription above the doorway.

Following the herd is for fools. Fear not their icy derision. Instead, fear only thy Infernal Lord.

Again the finger taps her lips as she considers this riddle.

”You know the Cardinal did say before sending us down here that, ‘The silver amulets will remind you of your true loyalties.’ What if the amulets he gave us have something to do with this room? Perhaps if we are in contact with the amulets…I don’t know…whatever trap or magical spell might be down here won’t effect us?”



OOC
 

 





+
__________________
Hurt my back, been laid up on meds for days. Will post in all my games 9/21/2021

Last edited by Chrystrom; Aug 14th, 2021 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 04:49 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Voice of Antiquity
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 16228
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 3,027
Ten
right-aligned image
"Repetition and a sense of confidence are the best ways to make someone let their guard down."

Ten‘s words were spoken softly, but they could still be heard with perfect clarity. The warrior slowly approached Moriah until he was standing right next to her.

"You cannot protect those who do not care to listen. Some lessons must be learnt the hard way. Those who survive, become wiser. Those who do not…" Ten shrugged. "Those who do not, have no use for wisdom."

The young man looked at Juliet next, the one who favored a more tactical approach to dealing with problems and was by many considered the group’s leader, if such a word was appropriate among such proud and willful individuals as the Forsaken.

"It would be useful, I think, if a routine was established. Those with the power to do so should first look for signs of magic as Moriah has done. Then we make sure that the room is not trapped before entering it. Afterwards, we look for further clues and hidden passageways as we consider the true meaning of each lesson."

Pointing at the inscription on the door, Ten rubbed his chin in thought.

"The first inscription was as much a riddle as it was a lesson. According to this logic, this inscription should present us with another riddle. Hmmm, I believe the words „icy“ and „infernal“ to be the key here. They seem to imply that we should not fear the cold, but be wary of heat and fire. Perhaps one of the doors feels colder. That is probably the direction we are meant to follow."


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Elanir; Aug 15th, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 05:00 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 29280
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,942
Day 3: Manor: 26th of Erastus| Light mist/few cloudsBaltar steps forward into the chilled room and looks down at the dirt and dust covered floor. He sees that at least a dozen individuals have walked towards the southern and the eastern doors. No one seems to have approached the western door.

Moriah, perhaps wisely, stays put and again fails to detect magic in the room.


Ooc
 


In your post detail where you move! For example, I move 3 left and two down. If you do not do this I will interpret your movement in the worst way possible. Also double check the GM dashboard and check my info against yours.


 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 04:57 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2021
RPXP: 31664
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 30,875
BaltarBaltar points out the floor. - " The herd went that way... So that means we don't follow them and are going West! " He examines the purple door closely, but has no idea what this is. - " Damn this place is cold... Can't someone make fire? It's usually good against the cold, maybe it would work to open the door by magic?"

OOCAppraise is 21
Perception check is 18

Move in front of the purple door but don't touch anything.


 
__________________
Alive and well!

Last edited by MoonZar; Aug 16th, 2021 at 06:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 10:28 AM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 29280
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 9,942
Day 3: Manor: 26th of Erastus| Light mist/few cloudsBaltar reads the signs left in the dirt and dust and comes to a logical conclusion. Going against the grain, the Duke steps closer to the violet hued moss. The mass seems to pulsate and as Baltar steps near he suddenly feels as if the warmth of his body is being acutely drained.

Within seconds, Baltar is chilled to the bone, his very blood having seemed to have frozen in his veins.


OocBaltar takes 14 nonlethal cold damage.
 


In your post detail where you move! For example, I move 3 left and two down. If you do not do this I will interpret your movement in the worst way possible. Also double check the GM dashboard and check my info against yours.


 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Gm: Curse of Strahd, Way of the Wicked, Call from the Deep, Dragonlords, Edgewatch, and Masks of Nyarlathotep
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 05:53 AM
MoonZar's Avatar
MoonZar MoonZar is offline
Zar Campaign World
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2021
RPXP: 31664
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Posts: 30,875
Baltar- " Sweet darkness!!!! " He retreats with all his front covered in snow and ice. Shacking like a leaf he's rubbing his arms. - " Took one for the team, this door feed on the heat! "

OOCRetreat in the center of the room.


 
__________________
Alive and well!

Last edited by MoonZar; Aug 17th, 2021 at 05:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Tahril's Avatar
Tahril Tahril is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 3224
Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril
Posts: 847
Keeping warm
right-aligned image


Juliet felt Ten grab her by the shoulder and she simply turned to face him. She listened to his warnings about traps and deceptions, and soon after Baltar had found the secret switch to the second room. Stepping into the passageway with the others to behold a new room and riddle, she carefully takes note of what the others are saying.

The last room seemed simple. Too simple. A way to make them relax and lower their guard perhaps. But she found the riddles words of comforting ice and the fact they had just found an ice quartz stone in the other room too much to be a coincidence. Tens idea about not fearing the cold but to be wary of flames seemed to make sense...until Baltar staggered back from the purple door, visibly chilled. She couldn’t help her sense of schadenfreude at seeing the shivering slaver and glibly remarked to Ten...

”Perhaps the cold was something to fear after all.”

Still, baltars logic about not following the herd was sound enough. And his words about it feeding on heat rang true as he spoke through chattering teeth, his breath visible in the frigid air.

Stowing her melee weapons, Juliet draws her bow from her back and takes aim at the mold covering the door. Perhaps if they could trim it from afar they could access the door behind.

“If it feeds on heat, then we will just have to remove it from afar...”




 

Link to Character Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=87558

Last edited by Tahril; Aug 18th, 2021 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 06:10 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is offline
Voice of Antiquity
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 20th, 2021
RPXP: 16228
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 3,027
Ten
right-aligned image
Seeing Baltar getting covered in frost within mere moments, made Ten instinctively step back. His companion looked as if he had spent the night on a snowy mountain top with nothing to keep him warm. The warrior was about to give Moriah a smug look, his prophecy about people learning some lessons the hard way having come true far sooner than expected, but Juliet‘s snide comment stopped him. The knight was right. Ice and cold had proven to be extremely dangerous and had Baltar lost consciousness while alone in this room, possibly deadly as well.

"We are missing something. There must be a way to safely pass this obstacle."

Juliet‘s arrows were unable to harm the moss in any way, as was to be expected, but trying to destroy it from a distance was certainly the right idea.

"No, an arrow won’t do the trick, Juliet, but Baltar‘s suggestion could work. The moss seems to feed on heat, but how will it react if it is set aflame? Fire could perhaps destroy it."

Thinking for a moment, he beckoned Moriah to follow him to the first room.

"The lantern", he explained to her, "It is full of oil. I‘ll carry you on my shoulders and you can put out the flame and take it down. Don’t worry. This little memento will provide us with light."

Ten took the warden’s ioun stone out of his pocket and threw it in the air, at which point the stone started circling around his head and, most importantly, provided them with a light as bright as that of a normal torch.

"Once we have this lantern in our possession, we do exactly the same with the lantern in the next room, only that flame we don’t put out. We dunk a piece of cloth in oil, tie it around the tip of one of Juliet’s arrows and ignite it. Throwing the first lantern against the door should break it and drench the moss in oil. Then, from the safety of the corridor or the opposite wall, Juliet shoots her fiery arrow and we see what happens. What do you think?"


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB