Game Thread Chapter 2: A Dawn Without Light - Page 21 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Rise of the Drow [5e] > Group A
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:17 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18844
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
She runs to kneel by the fallen drow, in case he has a sending stone or other communication magic.

I have no house, fool. Ancestor Spirit is my only matron,
she says, her Vik accent thick.

But as soon as the light fades fully from his eyes, she drops the accent. Entirely. It has served her well enough, but she understands the party’s make-up and agenda, now. To travel as herself in the Above is dangerous, and this party—rightfully—kills drow on sight. But now? To continue as the scarred Vik would be coy, and Myrrh the pragmatist is never coy.

right-aligned image
She strips off her gloves, and once barehanded, she gently closes the drow’s eyes and prays for him in Elvish. May better gods hold you from the spider’s hell. You did what you were told. Ah, he was pretty. Such a waste. It is never as satisfying to kill the males, as they are so often bent to a matron’s will. Even the upper class ones. The Burned treat their males as equals, abhorring subjugation in any form.

She calls her small soft lights and then prays for her god’s guidance with one hand brushing the Inquisitor’s shoulder—if the masked woman accepts the touch of her gray fingers. She thinks she will. The Inquisitor, she believes, will use any tool that serves her chilly interests. She likes this. This is correct, in war. So it is always correct—War is all that she has ever known.

She strips off her mask, pushes back her hood and releases her pale hair from its net. On her forehead, five burn scars, as perfectly circular as the ends of one of her little cigarillos, march from between her eyebrows up to her hairline, each slightly larger than the one below it, each so deep the gleam of her skull shows through. The bone glows as pale as her white hair in the soft cast of her lavender lights.

I apologize for my — deceptions. They are for my safety; I have never yet overtly lied to any of you, and I won’t. Though obviously, I’ll lie for you, she says, smiling. My name is truly Myrrh, and I am of the Burned; they are all such as me. I was born Ilnay arre Rilyntyl. The dwarf might recognize this as a slave name. “Arre” means “of” in Elvish, but when used with a surname in the Underdark, it is colloquial for “owned by;” Rilyntyl is a powerful House in Xdot.

She has also allowed her voice to drop out of its highest register. Her real voice is deeper, dustier, her common lightly flavored with liquid elvish vowels and the faint, harsh rasp the drow like on their consonants.

Should we need to go into a town of your kind, I can be the Vik again. But among you, I would rather have my true-face out. It may serve us as we try to infiltrate this fort and reclaim your relic and take your people back. As for this sweet dark, it does not belong above; it must go. But until it does, you have my Underdark eyes as well, Inquisitor. Though I am not as soft-footed as that Dweorg.

As for drow tactics? Yes. They will use the landscape and the dark and any other trick they think of. They are unhampered by ideas of honorable or “fair” combat.
Well, so is she, for that matter. But not all here feel this way. She does not look at the Not-Knight, only the Inquisitor, as she adds. The foul slavers honor only winning; all Drow honor the kill.

If they have any questions, she will answer as truthfully as she can. As she puts her mask and heavy hood away in her pack, she messages the Cleric, Thank you. Your help in the deception is appreciated, and I believe the blessings of your powerful, stern god have saved us.

If the inquisitor finds the dead spider-rider Drow’s house insignia, Myrrh will examine it closely, hoping to recognize the crest, though he truly is not of her city.

PCs: Fioravanti No-Last-Name | Ingetrude "Tru" Frostblossom |Myrrh the Burned

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Sep 20th, 2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 11:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9145
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
The drow warrior fell to Konstantin's hammer and the party members converged on him. The inquisitor began searching the corpse for useful information, though Dain suspected it was too much to hope for a nice map. The dweorg arrived from the west, and the south, slinging his crossbow away to watch the gruesome ritual. His familiar kept its distance from all the goings on, as well as from the dead, giant spider. Had he arrived first, Dain would have used his magic to search the body instead of his own hands, but the point was moot. With a wave of the hand he dismissed his rough illusion, looking like a child’s drawing of himself, not bothering to watch it fade from view. At least it’s too dark to see it clearly.

Myrrh joined Mynora, the pair of them talking to the dying creature and to the others with directions and observations. Before too long Myrrh reveals herself for what she is, and Dain feels his blood boil and bile rise. His blade was half-drawn from its scabbard in that moment, and though it came no further, he held it there while she spoke and for a while longer. Had any other member of the clan been standing here, there would have been more blood on the ground, but Dain will at least hear the woman speak. She'd had plenty of opportunities, but Dain knew that betrayal could only come from those you trusted, and elves played the longest games.

The inquisitor and the drow agree that he ought to take point, ahead of and away from the others. Dain couldn’t find any point on which to disagree and sheathed his blade, admitting that being alone to his thoughts might be best for the time being.

Old Sep 19th, 2021, 01:50 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21365
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Anya Gagarina, Human Light Cleric
right-aligned image
War is deception. The Vik is a Drow. In terms of her own performance, this revelation is a failure for Anya. No, she will not wallow in bitterness. It's a lesson for Anya. As vigilant as she is, she isn't vigilant enough. She must think harder. Question more. Observe with more clarity. Assume nothing. However, in terms of the realities of their situation, this revelation is an enormous win. As an ally, the Vikmordere sorcerer was of questionable worth, and had to constantly demonstrate sacrifice and risk to prove her place. As an ally, the value of a drow sorcerer is beyond question.

She doesn't hate drow, and she doesn't hate Vikmordere. Neither is Klav, so another measure must be applied. In their current strategic situation, one is relevant, and one isn't. Myrrh is relevant. Anya is glad she's a drow.

I'M GLAD YOU'RE A DROW. YOU MUST KNOW A LOT ABOUT SPIDERS. LET'S DISSECT THIS ONE, she thinks back to Myrrh's Message. She doesn't say "I'M GLAD YOUR FACE ISN'T HIDEOUS AND RUINED" because she didn't care much about that, nor does she care much that the drow is beautiful. She doesn't say "I'M GLAD YOU ARE A VILE DROW UNDERSCUM" because she has more respect for Myrrh now than when she called her a heretic.

The Axioms of War defines three categories for enemy assets. Guides are low-level enemy citizens who can be paid to help the empire on a mission by mission basis. Spies are enemy officials who have been bent or bought to the King's service. Agents are Klavs who infiltrate the enemy's ranks, to send back information, or enemies who were originally sent to harm the empire, but who have been turned to the empire's will. With her revelation, Myrrh immediately ascended from Guide to Spy in Anya's estimation, and Anya wonders if she even might be an Agent. Of course, within these categories there are more -- expendable and unexpendable spies. Guides who are given false information to spread. Triple agents.

Anya prays, "May the truth guide me," and then walks over to the fallen spider mount to search it. She looks in any bags that may have been strapped to it, and then attempts to butcher it for any useful parts, like venom sacks, silk, poison. She has never done this before, only having practiced her first dissection a day ago on the bear carcass. But Myrrh was an expert at that -- perhaps can give some useful pointers here too. As a guide.

Actions and Stat Block

Last edited by lostcheerio; Sep 19th, 2021 at 01:53 AM.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 02:00 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17203
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
The Sunless Dawn
right-aligned image
With a final spat invective, the drow warrior expired and it briefly crossed Konstanin's mind that perhaps he should have attempted to take the dark elf prisoner. Myrrh's little play had gained them some intelligence, but could they have learned more from a live drow? It was too late now, but he could not help but think about missed opportunities.

The venom from the miniature crossbow bolts still coursed through him, but the Inquisitor's question drew his attention. "I am... I will be alright, I think." He pressed one hand to his own chest and drew upon the cold blessings taught by the Blades. The gesture brought little comfort, but it burned the toxin from his blood, leaving him more alert, if not uninjured.

The young warrior looked up from his own affairs to find Myrrh addressing the group. Her revelation was not what he expected from the masked woman, and for a long moment he stood in silence, utterly unsure how to respond. He had missed the original clash with the dark elf forces at Rybalka. The fallen warrior was his first real meeting with one of their kind, and Konstantin had not been in a good position to study him. If you had asked him a few months ago, any elf would have been a completely alien creature, barely more real than a tale to scare children. But recent events had introduced him to an entirely new subset of their kind. Still, all he had were stories and second-hand accounts. He had no ingrained knowledge or understanding of their kind... nor any particular prejudice. Yet.

He glanced towards Mynora, looking for guidance in how to proceed. But for now, he slung his maul back across his broad shoulders, unthreatening and unthreatened. He blinked for a few moments and thought back to their earlier conversation. "Perhaps... perhaps there in another reason I do not speak often. It is because I clearly have no idea what's going on around me."

OOC

Characters: Del CorganIris KetteringCaleb ShawDeirdre VenteuseYrena
ZendaSquire GainsboroBaruuk TalonfaceKonstantin LumynMarisol d'Arabeth
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 06:42 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
She messages, and her tone holds laughter as she says. I, too, am glad I’m Drow. More seriously: I’m glad you are Klav. Aloud she adds, I will help, of course; I know spiders well enough.

right-aligned image
Before she kneels, she gives the Dweorg and his still half-exposed blade a measuring glance; she discerns no active threat. He had only disdain for the Vik; he has only hatred for the drow. So be it. She draws her knives and sets to work beside the Sjestra.

As they hack and examine, she smiles up at the Not-Knight. Pah, you see plenty. My god is a trickster, and transformation magic is her delight; she hid me. Also, we met a day ago. You’d have seen through me soon enough, had I continued---I remained the Vik only enough for all of us to be sure our goals align.

As to my knowing spiders, Sjestra, it is only from proximity. The Burned do not serve the *****-goddess of slavers, she says in her small, dusty rumble of a voice. She lifts out the offal and sets it carefully aside. Naraneus is an elvish word that means a vile person who has reproductive congress with their own mothernachuithron. She spits, as if the very name is poison in her mouth. The Burned belong to Lea’cim. Do you know her?

She says the name the Elvish way, the c more of a breathy th, and uses female pronouns. She knows Leacim is male, but it is natural for a drow to think of beings with power as female. Leacim knew this; he appeared to the Burned in one of his favorite forms, a slender, vicious beauty with ice blue eyes and golden locks. Lady Mischief was so entrancing that even after Myrrh, then 11 or 12, saw how the babies wept and twisted under the delicate, searing fingers, she still stepped willingly into the divine arms.

I escaped slavery with the demi-goddess Hivaka, once a mortal slave who led more than 100 of us from House Rilyntyl to freedom. It was Leacim who shielded her and gifted her the hidden city of Nhilolin. The former slaves and also many underdark outcasts live there still, unseen and safe, worshiping Hivaka. The Burned revere her, deeply, but we are Leacim’s creatures. Some say we are the price Hivaka payed for her escape, and for her god-hood. We were the children of those who fought in her rebellion. But if we are a price, it is a joy to pay it.

The children Leacim burned became her clerics, paladins, druids, and sorcerers. Most have only four scars. But with the oldest, including me and my sister Linalool, it amused the god to turn her hand and press her thumb, here, just so.
She points a bloody finger at the largest hole burned down to her skull. This touch changed our very natures; a favorite trick of Leacim’s. Linalool, always the sweetest, became wholly feral, serving chaos and evil, roaming the Underdark alone to sow lies and reap corpses, a monster now in children’s tales. I, always more selfish, was bent the other way; you’ll find I have a Leacim does change alignments for amusement. Myrrh, born neutral evil, is now chaotic goodsoft heart. Speaking of which---here is the spider’s! She peels a strip off the still organ, eats it raw and warm. A soft heart for a drow, she clarifies, smiling, her teeth rimmed red.

When they have finished examining and dissecting it, she prestidigitates both herself and the Sjestra wholly clean.

Actions

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Sep 20th, 2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 03:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11356
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn

Mynora's searchMynora, the drow warrior has a chain shirt, made in the delicate drow style, a longsword, and a well-crafted longbow in his battle kit. He wears black leather breeches and a plain black tunic over his armor. Both you and Myrrh are surprised to find no heraldric markings anywhere on the arms, armor, or dress. He is like a ghost, a shadow. As Myrrh relights her floating globes and hovers them over the carnage to assist searching and harvesting, you also find a small purse with two polished worth 25 gp eachgarnet stones in it and 51 gold coins bearing a strange seal, but which Myrrh will recognize as belonging to the city of Holoth. Between the tunic and chain shirt, you find a leather strap which holds three stoppered vials. The tips of the ten remaining arrows in the quiver glisten with what you can only assume to be the poison that recently affected Konstantin.

The spider carving crewAnya, you prove deft with your knife as Myrrh points out where edible meat is and how to avoid the bitter spinnerettes. Even as she takes the heart, you are able to salvage enough rations for the party for another day. You are also able to carve one of the poison glands out from behind the fangs, but without a vial, you're not sure if you'll be able to carry its contents for long. The spider does not have a visible saddle, seemingly having been trained to carry the lightweight elf without tack and perhaps responsive to simple nudges with his heels. The spider also has no dress or heraldry.

OOC Good survival rolls to harvest the spider. You gain 5 rations of spider meat and a poison sac, which if you can convince me you can handle without bursting, I'll let you treat as a thrown object or treat a blade for one attack with (if any of you decide you're poisoners. The arrows can also be used as poisoned weapons, exactly like the drow did. If you choose these options, the spider poison is DC12 or be poisoned for an hour. The drow poison is DC13, and the target falls unconscious if the roll is 8 or less (awakened if damaged or shaken). Please note this on your sheets if you take any of this. The potions will require sampling to figure out.

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 01:37 AM
Blue Mage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12146
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
It seemed she still had much to learn.

There was some silence from the Inquisitor at the drow's deception. She was crouched by the body they searched, head turned silent over her shoulder to regard the hands that she felt brush her with some touch of divine magic. The silence was measured, thoughtful almost though there was always the question of violence that hovered just on the edge of the Inquisitor's aura.

Then, "It was a skilled deception." And so it was. She was no stranger to lies and liars and though the Burned One, this drow, claimed she had never lied to them, Mynora at least knew enough to not trust that. A more skilled Inquisitor would have seen through the illusion immediately perhaps - it was why she yet remained Inquisitor Nizshiy Prizrak, relatively low-ranked within the Pale Corps, despite her dark talent with the bow.

There was little question that the risk was worth it to continue to travel with the dark elf. She was a font of knowledge of an enemy that they knew almost nothing about. It was possible that everything she spoke of was a well-formed lie, a plant meant to assure them that she truly was on their side. Time would tell. Though Myrrh was without a doubt a skilled liar, they now knew just how skilled and just how dangerous her magic might be, which in a roundabout way suggested she was might still be more 'trustworthy' than not. Her ability to speak silently alone made her an immense risk, should she intend to betray and she could have easily hidden that ability from them.

For now, she would observe. It was a useful lesson.

She slipped the coin and the garnets into her satchel, currency was not readily useful in the wild and they could split their spoils once they were in safe place. To Konstantin and Dain, who seemed the most hostile to the elf, she said, "We proceed for now."

OOC

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 09:42 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Myrrh eats the rest of the heart like an apple. A pleasure, to eat unmasked. A pleasure not to be alone, as well, and to speak in her own voice. It’s been so long. Long before she joined them.

She touches one coin’s face before the Inquisitor puts them away. He said he was from Holoth; so are these coins. It doesn’t mean she believes everything the dead drow said, but now she believes this. She is, like most liars who serve Leacim, fundamentally untrusting of words. Best to see tangible evidence like the coin, Better to watch what people do. She has a measure of trust in Mynora precisely because she acts so decisively.

You should take these arrows, she tells the Inquisitor. A wry smile as she adds: Konstantin can attest to their efficacy. Or does your---order---eschew poison? She thinks the mask is military, but it might be religious or simply choice. Perhaps some of the Klav's face has been burned up by her own god, to shoot so well. Who knows.

As the Inquisitor continues to search the corpse, Myrrh becomes agitated. She tells the Klavs, He should have the Sigil of his House. He spoke with such confidence. As if his Matron is a force---or he believes she will be. So why no Sigil? This is wrong. This is bad.

Listen. I was born a slave in Xdot, but now the Burned base out of Hivaka’s hidden city. We go out more than most, in trios or pairs or alone, raiding, killing slavers, gathering outcasts, trading.this is true Over the last months, there has been increased slaving across the north and throughout the underworld. Several months ago, many of the Burned, myself included, came topside.

This is the reason the air on her face is such a pleasure, cold and clean and bracing. She is always masked in the Above---lone drow are killed on sight by many. This is the longest she has ever stayed Up and masked in her life.

We agreed to not go home until we got word the marked increase in slaving had subsided, lest we lead them back to Nhilolin. These are facts. What I say next is speculation. This dead pretty thing – she nudges the quickly cooling drow with a foot--- should have been coated in the protections of his Matron’s heraldry. This anonymity speaks to me of a plot, perhaps betrayal or rebellion, they do not want traced back to their house in case they fail, or until after they succeed.

She stands, done here, if they are. We should hide the bodies. His allies may come seeking him. How can we best do this?

She is not skilled with nature in the above, but she will help anyone who is, and prestidigitate the blood from both the murder and the butchery out of the snow. When this is done, she is ready to move cautiously north, if they are. She prefers to be in darkness, with the bright white and evergreen of the forest flattened down to gray scale. She is happy to keep her dim lights up and centered for those who need it, if they do not wish to march so bright.

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Sep 25th, 2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 02:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Dain turned his eyes to the north at the consensus that was to scout ahead, knowing that it was the right play here. After all, they did not have a Vikmordere to guide them anymore: three Klaveks, a renegade drow, and an outcast dweorg, but no Vikmordere. But hey, he thought with a hint of a scowl in the darkness, who needs a guide through dark and treacherous and unknown terrain?

”A day’s travel to the north, he said?” His look held nothing but venom for the dead dark elf, and talk of hiding the body seemed a waste to him. As he continued on, his gaze moved from the corpse to each of his companions before settling on Myrrh, ”Put a knife in his heart and throw him from the clifftop, and anyone who finds him will get the message. We’re chasing them, not the other way around, unless you know something different you’d like to share? Every moment we waste out here is a moment more that those good people are held captive.”

The smuggler pauses for a moment to let his ill humors subside, taking a deep breath as he looked to the north and the people counting on them. If the drow was being honest with them, as honest as a drow could be given the deception she'd already perpetrated, then she was on their side. They would need her magic, of that Dain had no illusion. "We head north, then, and try to remain unseen as we approach. There are still some hours we can cover before we make camp again."

Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 07:50 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21365
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Anya Gagarina, Human Light Cleric
right-aligned image
The inside of the spider is interesting. Anya's forays into wilderness survival have led her to become dirtier than she ever imagined possible a few scant weeks ago in the cloisters in Mokhba. But Myrrh can magically remove all dirt, all signs of a bloody battle. She can make wet things dry and guilt fade to innocence. It's so useful to have this skill, but Anya doesn't ask her to use it on her cloak, her gloves. Soldiers get dirty. Their faces obscured by dirt and blood. Instead she casts Mending where clothing has been ripped by falling rocks or torn by arrows, and even on the drow, to aid the illusion that no battle has taken place here, she Mends the leather over his wounds.

Anya packs the spider meat away, wet strange packets with the rest of her dry, organized rations. Using a sharp crossbow bolt, she carefully opens a tiny slit in the delicate poison sac and carefully squeezes it into one of the empty holy water flasks she had shaken out on the undead in the basement of the cathedral during the attack on the Moonshard. She takes the three potions from the drow and examines them, sniffs deeply of each. Closing her eyes to utter a small prayer, she shakes a drop into her dirty glove and tastes it with her tongue to see if she can determine what the effects might be.

When their spoils are stowed and everything useful has been harvested from their enemies, she helps Myrrh to find a snowy spot with some dense cover -- here is a hemlock with boughs that drag the ground. Together they pull the drow around from behind and lean him up against the tree on the side facing away from their trail, and cover him with snow, brushing away as much evidence of their own hands as possible.

"It's likely that animals will find him," she says to Myrrh. "But we can't prevent it unless we bury him in this frozen dirt."

The spider remains they hoist high into the tree, inside its dense green cone of needles, using rope from the drow's own pack. It will leave a strange skeleton, when the birds and raccoons are done with it.

Actions and Stat Block

Last edited by lostcheerio; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 08:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17203
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
The Sunless Dawn
right-aligned image
Konstantin shook his head at the idea of trying to dig a grave for the fallen warrior. Myrrh's distant kinsman he may have been, but time was of the essence. "I believe Dain has the right of it." He shrugged a little. "Except for the part about wasting a perfectly good knife. A fall off the cliff should remove any lingering doubt..." The squire's face scrunched up a little as he considered his own memories. The fight had been a short, but chaotic one, and he had spent most of it woozy from the drow venom, but... "I believe he mentioned he was already sworn to stop... well, he wasn't specific, but I assume the three of you that tangled with their forces in Rybalka. They already know, or suspect we're coming. In such a situation, a missing scout isn't any less suspicious than a dead one."

Konstantin began helping Anya the spider carcass into the tree. When they turned to the drow, he paused a moment as his foot touched the elf's longsword. He stared at the blade for what seemed like an awkwardly long moment, as he considered it. He had left his own sword behind in Mohkba when he left, there had been too much invested in that weapon to carry all that weight with him. He was supposed to have left that life along with the blade, but... here he was trekking through the Vikmordere wilderness, doing his best to keep Sjestra Anya and the others alive. So much for his plans. He took a moment to unbuckle the sword belt and lash the whole affair to the side of his pack. He'd need to find a shield...

The disarmed drow tucked away, Konstantin returned to the matters at hand and began preparing himself for the next leg of their trip. He took a brief moment to draw some of his strange magic around himself and then tried to figure out the best way to start moving.

OOC

Characters: Del CorganIris KetteringCaleb ShawDeirdre VenteuseYrena
ZendaSquire GainsboroBaruuk TalonfaceKonstantin LumynMarisol d'Arabeth

Last edited by hafrogman; Sep 25th, 2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11356
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn

Dain heads out in front of the party, staying well ahead of the illumination Mynora and Anya need to make their way through the darkness. Occasionally, Konstantin will make him out at the far reaches of his peculiar vision, slipping from tree to tree, listening and watching. With his cat helping to guide him through the ferns without cracking sticks, Dain is a shadow, and with his guidance and Konstantin staying focused on keeping the trail, you all make headway through the woods.

The perpetual night lingers, and the Dark Wood echoes with sounds of increasingly agitated predators and increasingly desperate and confused prey. More than once, Dain circles back around and whispers for you to hold in place, and you huddle in the dark listening as something large crashes around in the brush, too close for you to move, but too far away for you to attract notice.

While no light returns to the wood, the exertions of the day and your natural tolerances begin to wear on you and you feel that what would have been an actual passage of the sun is quickly coming to a close. Your legs begin to tire and your minds wander as senses begin to dull.

As you begin to ponder the need to rest, Dain circles back around again with news. Dain, as you crest a small rise, the party holding back some thirty or so yards, you have seen dim light off the distance about a hundred yards away. You slip closer, still shadow-like, and take in the outlines of windows. Creeping even nearer, you eventually make out the outlines of a humble shack, light glowing from within. Stealing back to the party, you share what you have seen.

OOC Might have had some cross-posting between hafrogman and cheerio this morning. Regardless...drow and spider bodies are disposed of and onwards we go.

*I'm assuming we still had dancing lights or Konstantin's maul to provide illumination for Anya and Mynora.

*I don't mean to take your player agency, Starflier, but I wanted to try to avoid a round of posting about whether or not you all would check out a light, so I had you observe what it was and come back to inform the party. Now you all take it from here.

Old Sep 26th, 2021, 05:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Arriving out of the shadows flanked by the shining eyes of his familiar, Dain took a knee near the others while he caught his breath. Looking among the others Dain saw a weariness on their faces that matched his own, after gods-only-knew how many hours of marching, and fighting, and then more marching. His eyes linger on the drow… Myrrh, having had a moment to himself in the dark to decide that old grudges were too heavy to carry. He could say this out loud, but it’s been a long, damned day, and so he does one better than mere words by meeting her gaze and offering a nod.

”Shack up ahead with lights inside,” he says with his voice low before taking a few deep breaths before continuing. ”Might be locals, or might be more rearguard, hard to say without saying hello.”

OOCAdded the currently unattuned Luck stone to Dain’s sheet so we don’t lose track of it.

Old Sep 26th, 2021, 06:20 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Myrrh nods back and smiles to hear the dweorg's information, a nice smile, but the longer she listens, the wider and more toothy it becomes. She has a pleasing mental image: A chained shut door, a shack on fire, and Myrrh roasting the spider meat they harvested on sticks as flaming drow slavers shriek inside.

But Might be locals, he says. Hm. She is curious and interested.

The dead Spider Rider said the drow were in an old fort, so if it is locals, they might know the best way to approach, or even a back way in. If they are friendly. This is a very large if. How will this group be received by ...local people, she asks the other three. By "this group" she means "Klavs." By "local people," she means Viks, who might be rebels who hate Kalvs as much as drow would.

She steps to the dweorg and brushes one of his shoulders lightly, whispering in Elvish. If the rogue wishes to stealth up even closer and try to get a peek inside the window, he will do so with Leacim’s guidance.

Viks and Klavs alike ally dweorg. She thinks. Factions of fussing humans--who knows. But she thinks most humans like dweorg. He might be the best face to feel them out.

If the group prefers to all go for strength in numbers in case it is drow, she will mask, so as not to upset possible humans, and go with them. She has no strong opinion about method, but she very much wants to know who is in there.

Actions

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Sep 30th, 2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 03:35 AM
Blue Mage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12146
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Mynora turned and looked in the direction that the dweorg indicated, her head cocked slightly as she considered their options. The weight of the day's travel and the ordeals in contained were showing now in bowed heads and shoulders. It would be time to make camp soon.

"Light has so far indicated the absence of drow rather than their presence. Though we know now-" A pointed pause. "That their skill with illusion may not be limited to the darkness. It's a risk, but that structure could offer us shelter for the night." Mynora stood and nodded. "We'll approach directly. If they are hostile, we'll solve that."
OOCAdded the poisoned arrows to my sheet and the garnet/gold for party distribution later.

OOC

Last edited by Vislands; Sep 28th, 2021 at 03:36 AM.