Game Thread Chapter 1: The End, And How it Begins - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Rise of Lord Vecna
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 06:52 AM
Tarus's Avatar
Tarus Tarus is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2022
RPXP: 1972
Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus
Posts: 519
Chapter 1: The End, And How it Begins

The nib of the quill touched soft white vellum, forming neat lines on the parchment. With a graceful flick of her right hand, the hooded woman committed the letters that she wrote to memory, where they would be emblazoned for the rest of her life, however long that was.

My friend, it is with great trepidation that I write this. In truth I.....

As the world trailed off, the hooded woman shook her head with a faint, yet almost exasperated sigh. From the depths of her hood, long strands of snow-white hair fell. With a second sigh, the woman took the parchment in her hand, and with one singular smooth movement she tore it in two.

How can I tell them that I might not survive the night?

The wheels for what Minra Zaughym, librarian of the Guild of Wizardry, was about to set in motion had begun in earnest the night before, although the seeds had been planted a week earlier. It had begun one Moonday night last week in fact. The night that divination magicks had suddenly failed for no apparent reason. The greatest minds of the City of Greyhawk, of which Minra counted herself as one, were vexed at the sudden failure of divinations. Why did divination magic no longer work? What was the source of the failure? The Circle of Eight, with Minra's help, began to look into what was happening. And Minra watched as her old friends slowly, but gradually, removed themselves from social contact. Then, not two days ago, they completely vanished.

Quill touched parchment once more.

My friend.....

It was last night, as she slept, that she dreamt.

***

As the sun crested over the horizon, as the eight stood before the stone steps leading down into the dark, as their shadows cast ahead of them, little did they realise the dark events that were to follow.

As they came forwards, with the first steps down into the tomb, as a strange feeling that begun at the base of their spines, working its way ever gradually upwards. A small sliver of....something. Trepidation? Dread? They all sensed it. Something was wrong here. Something was very, very wrong.

It began suddenly, almost overnight. Divinations, and divination magic, not just across the Free City of Greyhawk, but across the Flanaess itself had failed. Bereft of arcane communication and the abilities of foresight, the mages of the Guild of Wizardry had sensed something ominous, something terrible, lurking at the edges of consciousness and reality. An ancient presence, grasping and hideous, stretching with its dark tendrils to encircle them.

It was Mordenkainen himself, founder and leader of the Circle of Eight, who had summoned them. The eight most foremost mages on Oerth itself. The best of the best, the cream of the crop, nothing less would do in this task. To hunt out this force, this presence who was making spells go awry. The growing darkness whom, Mordenkainen could sense, would come to threaten the gods themselves.

And here they were, at this nameless tomb in the middle of nothingness. Here, the Circle knew, deep within was something connected to the growing darkness.

One of them stepped forwards. A woman, hair that was once honey blonde but had now turned white, billowed in the slight breeze. Youthful features belied her true age, yet her determination could not be masked in eyes of blue steel. Robes of blue night swirled around her as she took the first step on cold concrete leading downwards.

Turning back to face the other seven, the corner's of Jallarzi Sallavarian's lips turned upwards in the faintest wisp of a smile as she spoke, her voice soft and only slightly mocking, "Come now. I would have hoped that the famed Circle of Eight weren't afraid of a few shadows. Destiny calls my friends, and we must go forth to meet it."

Little did she know how terribly prophetic those words would come to be.

They met little resistance in the tomb, which was unusual in itself. Inside, natural earth gave way to dwarven made stone. Not a surprising thing in itself, as noble men and women of the olden days were well known for commissioning dwarven artisans to create them tombs of elegant splendour in preparation for their deaths to come.

What was a surprise to the group was that, partway into the tomb, a hallway that came to an end with a thick slab of stone, heavily carved with inscriptions. Stepping up to it, Tenser studied the inscriptions there. Chanting words of arcane power, the words on the slab glowed bright blue for a second before fading. A look of concern etched itself across his face as he turned to the others.

"It is a protective ward the likes of which I have never seen before. I can partially break it, enough for us to breach the magic, but we will need to take care entering beyond. This was cast by a truly powerful wizard indeed."

A small worm of concern began to needle its way into Jallarzi's psyche as she watched Tenser work to dispel the magic. The inkling of a belief that they had perhaps stumbled into a situation beyond their comprehension. The magic on the slab flared once more, before dying to a dim glow. Tenser, face pale, pushed the slab to one side.

"It is done."

As one they entered the room beyond.

The chamber they entered was by far the largest in the mound, and crammed with ancient burial offerings that had long since corroded -- becoming withered and rotted, leaving only ghost-like husks of what they once were. Piled haphazardly along the walls were pots with faded glazes, wooden chairs and bronze art pieces, crusted in green patina.

Reaching out tentatively, Jallarzi touched one of the chairs. It crumbled into dust at her touch, and she shivered. The aura of dread had magnified, reaching almost apocalyptic proportions. Something truly terrible lay before them, she could sense it inside herself.

Even the walls of the chamber spoke of past opulence, covered as they were with strange, clearly magical writings. A large stone platform filled one end of the chamber. Atop it was an elaborately carved sarcophagus. The wood had begun to rot away, and a husk-like corpse was visible through the holes in the side.

The needling sensation within Jallarzi grew ever stronger as they entered the room, walking into the room. It grew.....a sixth sense within her that screamed at her in an impotent voice......

........"TRAP!"

She was too late. As she spoke the word, simultaneously there was a small click, and from behind them the sound of shuffling and roaring. Three humanoid shapes suddenly melded into existence from the walls. Leathery, stone forms with claws and teeth stepped forwards the Circle.

"Gargoyles."

Nystul's voice was not necessary. Jallarzi had identified the stone creatures as soon as they approached, even as she realised that they were nothing more than a distraction, placed there to draw their attention from the true danger......

Time became a blur. To Jallarzi's horror she seemed to move in slow motion as something.....horrendous.....erupted from the sarcophagus. Something that moved in an impossible blur of speed. And around her she heard the sound of hideous cackling, like a record spinning too fast.....as the tomb itself seemingly screeched its malevolent delight.

"You have released me!"

In an instant time returned to normal. And they fell, her friends.....companions..... Their throats torn out, they died in front of her, gasping and twitching as the stone floor was stained red with their blood. Her vision blurred, obscuring her sight as they writhed on the floor, their death throes terrible to watch. Tenser, Bigby, Otiluke, Rary, Otto, Drawmij, all of them torn, dying. The greatest mages the Flanaess had ever seen dying in front of her eyes.....her friends.

Only Nystul and her still stood, his face reflecting the shock and terror that she too felt. He looked to her, held out his hand, shaking.

"Jallarzi! To me! It is our only chance....."

Too late.....

As the gargoyles closed on her from one side, the malevolent creature on the other crossed the room, reaching out with withered, rotting flesh. Touching Nystul, the wizard opened his mouth, starting to issue a scream. As his body collapsed in on itself, turning to dust, it was a scream that would remain ever unheard.....

Then it turned its decaying, skeletal head to face her. Eyes burned ruby red, a malevolent gleam as it stretched its mouth in a toothy grin, exposing blackened, shattered teeth.

"I have saved the most delicious morsel for last. Oh, I shall have fun with this one."

It approached her, and Jallarzi opened her mouth. She began to scream and scream and scream and scre.....

***

The only sign that anything had disturbed the usually implacable drow was the tightening of her hand and the sound of the quill snapping on the parchment. Standing, Minra placed the two halves of the snapped quill to one side as she reached across the table, casually taking another quill pen.

She was not just my colleague. She was my friend.

Sitting down once more, Minra's expression took on its usual look of calmness and serenity. Once more she dipped the quill into the small bottle of ink that was next to her. Once more she touched quill to parchment. She wrote, and as she wrote, she thought about her next move. The dream in which she had seen her friend's death was not just a dream, that she knew. It was both a message.....and a warning. The Circle of Eight were no more, each of them brutally slaughtered. As far as she knew, Minra was the only person that knew this -- and as soon as word got out the city would be plunged into panic. Before she had died, Jallarzi had screamed one last message, and as she had, Minra knew her own fate was sealed.

Warn Mordenkainen!

Only nine people alive knew of Mordenkainen's location. Eight of them were now dead. Minra was the last.

And as she wrote, she knew that they would come for her next.

***

They began as five, adventurers who had not yet claimed their place in history. Regardless of how they got there, they were here when it started and when the summons came from a desperate drow wizardess reaching out to the only people that she trusted. However it was, the five were marked for greater things. They had the mark of destiny amongst them -- the pull of greater things that simply would not be denied.

Each of the five, although having performed acts of bravery and heroism in their own right, were not yet heroes. This was still to come.

Minra had seen them in action. She knew, although she had never told them, that they were destined for greater things. And so she had watched them with interest.

The letter came at a different point for each of them, yet that is not the point. No matter what they were doing, or where they were, the letter came for them. It came for them in the same day. The invitation was delivered without fuss, an invitation written in beautiful flowing script, handed over by a grizzled old courier. Each letter held within it the same words.

My friend,

I have need of your help.

I cannot say much, for I fear that time grows short. I trust you, you are one of the few that I do. You must make your way to the Roc and Oliphant Inn with the coming of this eve. There are events happening that are greater and darker than any of us can understand, and I fear that should anything happen to me it will come to you to bear this burden.

I am in danger my friend, and I fear that my enemies will strike soon. I will explain more when we meet.

Your friend,
Minra


The dice had been cast.

Last edited by Tarus; Feb 18th, 2022 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 11:05 AM
Hal Hammerhand's Avatar
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand is online now
Humble Tavernkeeper
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2650
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Posts: 1,659
A Peculiar Elf":
right-aligned image
Jasper read over the letter then sniffed the imaginary perfume upon the paper, It had been handled by a delicate maiden indeed, a dark-skinned elven exile, exiled like himself and if he wasn't misunderstanding the intent of the letter, which he most definitely was, Minra had finally come to her senses and wanted to rekindle their relationship, if not for a night, then maybe longer!

He slung his lute from his back and started playing a upbeat tune and singing along with it, despite the hustle and bustle of the busy marketplace in the city of Greyhawk,
"You remind me of the babe, power of voodoo
You remind me of the babe
(What babe?)
The babe with the power
The power of voodoo
(Who do?)
You do
Remind me of the babe

I saw my baby
Crying hard as babe could cry
What could I do?
My baby's love had gone
And left my baby blue

Nobody knew
What kind of magic spell to use?
What kind of magic spell to use?
Thunder or lightning?

Then baby said
Dance magic, dance (dance magic, dance)
Dance magic, dance (dance magic, dance)
Put that baby's spell on me
Jump magic, jump (jump magic, jump)
Jump magic, jump (jump magic, jump)
Put that magic jump on me
Slap that baby, make her free
"
The song took him down the street and right into the entrance of the Roc and Oliphant where he finished the song with strumming an ascending crescendo and as he lowered his loot, somewhat out of breath, "Hello, wonderful patrons and witnesses of my amazing talent! My lovely Minra Zaughym has summoned me! Where shall I find her?" he slung his lute behind his back on the shoulder strap and pulled the panflute from the leather straps on his backpack as he danced and twirled through the crowd, playing a light-hearted rendition of 'Where you've Been?', a song about a ranger searching for his lost love using his tracking skills, dogged by the nightmares of the places he looked for her, upon returning home to find her waiting for him. He searches the tavern in a lazy route,
Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (18)+2 Total = 20
looking for Minra.


OOC:
 


Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Feb 25th, 2022 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:43 PM
Onward's Avatar
Onward Onward is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 4566
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Posts: 3,668
Summer Asperman
right-aligned image

Right after the elf stepped in Roc and Oliphant, a strange and foreign girl appears next. This one was wearing a strange green, bug-like armor, carrying nothing but a bow and arrow, and has a emblem on her shoulder pad, it is of a red dragon standing on all fours, though it's wings makes it look like that of a sailboat instead of a ferocious dragon. The girl looks around the tavern looking for her friend, she then pulls out the message she received,"Onde vocÍ estŠ?" she says in her strange tongue as she re-reads the paper. Summer was rather worried that she didn't find her friend at the library were she usually works at. What was more worrying was the letter she found and it's contents, she hopes that nothing too troubling has plagued her,"Hmm, then again, she said she was in danger. I need to find her quickly before it comes." she says in the common tongue as she wanders around the inn, looking for her drow friend in the midst of patrons.


OOC
 

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 09:17 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 16th, 2023
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 2,514
Kira Darkmoon
right-aligned image

Kira received the letter at her dorm room. After reading it, her eyes lit up. "By the gods, Minra!" She had the known the librarian for awhile now and the woman had helped her many times. She had but a split second wondered what the danger was, then she remembered the killings. Oh gods, is Minra the next target? She had fretted until the time came for her to go the Roc and Oliphant Inn, then she rushed out of the dorm and to the streets.

The half-elf entered the inn, looking frantically around for Minra...





 
__________________
Took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Tarus; Feb 21st, 2022 at 02:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 12:14 AM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2023
RPXP: 7022
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 3,016
right-aligned image


left-aligned image





ut the letter in my belt pouch and gather my things," said Kama, lying in bed and looking down upon himself through Pwcca's eyes. "We're going out."

"Yes, master," wheezed Pwcca, through its pinched airway. The tiny demon folded the letter, stuffed it back in the envelope, and leaped off the rafter. Pwcca circled the room with a flap of leathery wings and landed on the back of the chair where Kama had hung up his armor, weapons, and gear.

Kama, ever the day sleeper, rose in the moonlight and went to the chair. Pwcca helped the blind drow put on his armor.

"Where are we going, master?" asked Pwcca, handing Kama his silvered rapier.

"We're headed for the Roc and Oliphant Inn," Kama replied. "An old friend needs help."

"Bah, master," Pwcca scoffed. "A drow has no need of friends."

"Not true," Kama replied, slipping into his backpack. "Minra is a drow, I'm her friend, and she needs me. We're going and that's it."

"So, it's charity again," said Pwcca, scowling. "How will you gain enough wealth and power to destroy your enemies if you keep giving your services away for free? Master, you must embrace greed and ambition if you ever expect to-- "

"Oh, Pwcca, will you stop with these annoying temptations," Kama interrupted, flipping a dismissive hand in the imp's direction. "Does any of that demonic crap ever work on me?"

left-aligned image
"No, master," Pwcca sighed, lowering its head. "But I am bound to try, every now and again."

"Look at me," said Kama.

Pwcca looked. Kama inspected himself with the demon's eyes. It was better than a mirror.

"Let's go," said Kama. "We don't want to be late. And hide yourself so nobody launches their dinner."

Pwcca hopped onto Kama's shoulder and vanished as they walked out the door.



 
 
__________________
Tutorial: 3D Combat
Tutorial: MapTool Battle Grids
Cover Artist: Explosive Runes 25 & 31

Last edited by GallupsMirror; Feb 22nd, 2022 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 03:59 AM
Apidae22's Avatar
Apidae22 Apidae22 is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 176
Apidae22 Apidae22
Posts: 449
Alyen Serat
When she finally reached the walls of the city Greyhawk, orange in the light of the evening sun, Alyen had been riding hard for ten hours. The courier had reached her in Dyvers twenty miles west of here, preparing for a trip to the Barrier Peaks; it'd been pure luck that she'd stayed an extra day to re-shoe her horse. The courier had stopped Alyen in the streets, handed her the letter with a muttered "Mail for you," and then slipped away, disappearing before she could mumble a surprised thanks. She'd opened the envelope, read its lines, promptly turned around, and begun walking back to the inn to gather her things.

I fear. That was the phrase Minra had repeated in her letter, which Alyen now repeated in her mind as she finished saddling Birel. She'd known the librarian nearly her whole life, and never had Minra been the type to fear lightly. The opposite, in fact. Whatever enemies she spoke of, whatever help she required, it was far more than a mundane matter. Alyen felt a twist of excitement at the suggestion of an adventure, but it quickly turned to worry over the fate of her friend. All the way to Greyhawk, she stewed over possible causes for Minra’s letter, and what the state of things would be when she arrived.

Alyen had passed through the west gate, relieved to see the city still standing. She'd been here two weeks ago, and it seemed normal still-- people coming back to their houses for the day, merchants in the plaza closing up their carts-- but there was a tangible tension hanging over the city, an anxiety revealed in hurried strides and watchful faces. The divination void was making everyone nervous.

She dismounted in front of the Roc and Oliphant and heard the sound of a pan flute above the woven conversations floating out from the doorway. She touched two fingers to her forhead and then her heart, a sign of good luck for the trouble ahead, and stepped through the doors if the inn.


Alyen Serat:
AC 15
HP 25/25
Saves Str +1 Dex +4 Con +1 Int +2 Wis +3 Cha +0
Passive Perception 18
__________________
~The Red Peninsula~

Last edited by Apidae22; Feb 21st, 2022 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 09:54 AM
ihinka's Avatar
ihinka ihinka is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 7235
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
Posts: 2,024
The missive!
right-aligned image
The old, grizzled courier had the misfortune of having to wade through piles of rotting, undead flesh, recently laid to rest, or taken asunder by various improvised weapons. The feline cleric stood in the midst of the carnage seemed out of place with her aloof, almost nonchalant demeanor and clothing that lacked the usual signs of battle. She appeared perfectly put together, as if she'd just finished her morning rituals and put on a pair of fresh clothes. But when the old man extended his arm to hand her over the letter, she took it daintily with two sharp, curved claws. For had she picked it up with her pawed fingers, the pretty missive would have been fouled by zombie gore and rotten, ichorous fluids.

The courier made a hasty retreat and left the Tabaxi cleric among the piles of rotting flesh, pinching the letter in between two claws. Dim recognized the hand and her features darkened with instant worry. It wasn't like Minra to call upon her using such methods. The Tabaxi left the battle field without further ado, her feline grace making it seem as if she wasn't at all in any hurry. Some of the former serfs had laid basins with water for washing out and Dim took advantage of this, washing her pawed hands thoroughly, until her fur shined pristine in the sunlight. She than took great care in drying her hands before finally palming the letter and opening it.

As she read her eyes turned to thin slits, her whiskers bristled and her claws extended as if on their own volition. Dim closed her eyes and took a cleansing breath. My work here is done. Have you more need of me at this moment? She sent a silent query to her patron. I can sense you are needed elsewhere. Go! Your work here is done to perfection as usual. The Raven Queen retorted. It was a rare occasion for cleric and patron not to trade barbs. But the Queen knew her cleric well and had sensed her distress. The minor noble who'd tried to start an Orcus cult and had turned his entire cadre and himself into one form or another of undead had been promptly dealt with and his serfs released from their master could now be free villagers and do as their own will dictated.

Dim's work here was indeed done!

***

The Roc and Oliphant

Dim had arrived early and taken a seat at one of the more obscured by shadows table. It was an old habit she couldn't and didn't really care to kick. Ever since her investigator days hunkering down in the darkest corner of a tavern and observing the patrons' interactions could tell her a lot. And to this day she took this approach when frequenting any such locale.

And now she observed, obscured by the dusky corner and her dark robes and hood Minra's chosen. She was arrogant, true. But not arrogant enough to think she would be the only one the Drow librarian would summon. Especially taking into account the urgency and tone of the missive. For Minra to be worried so much that she would freely seek aid, meant things were serious indeed. But Dim was more disturbed by the fact that Minra thought herself in danger. Who would threaten one of the best mages in Greyhawk? Who would dare?! Or what?!? Dim sat quietly, not making any effort to remain hidden other than her chosen table and obscuring clothing. She also didn't make any effort to join the others or indicate she was one of the summoned as well.

For now she was content to observe. As a flamboyant elf entered, declaring loudly he was in search of Minra, Dim's paw covered her eyes. An exasperated sigh escaping her lips. For the love of the Queen, Minra, what sort of people do you associate with?! The Raven Queen's cleric thought as she observed a number of other people trickling into the tavern in fast succession. With the flamboyant one being the only one so far to declare himself as one of Minra's selectees.

Ignoring the flowery elf, Dim stood and approached one of the windows looking out onto the street where the entrance of the Roc and the Oliphant was. Her Darkvision 60ftfeline eyes slitted as if stalking prey when she
Dice Perception:
1d20+4 (1)+4 Total = 5
peered outside, hoping to see Minra arriving.


OOC
 


 
__________________
How do you wanna do this?!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 25th, 2022, 01:35 PM
Tarus's Avatar
Tarus Tarus is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 12th, 2022
RPXP: 1972
Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus
Posts: 519


~Two hours earlier~

"You are sure?" Minra's voice was raised barely above a whisper as she sat there on her desk. Leaning forwards, she pressed her hands together, propping her chin up on the tips of her fingers.

"There can be no doubt," the speaker's image shimmered as Minra's gaze rested upon the incorporeal image projected in front of her. "The alignment of the stars, and the readings can indicate nothing else."

The man looked to Minra, casting eyes of icy blue over her. The corners of his mouth turned upwards in a slight twitch. "Our position is compromised Minra. The Hand and the Eye have surfaced, and he wants them back. It is only the beginning."

Minra stood, closing her eyes as she turned away from the figure. Walking forwards slowly, she leaned the palms of her hands down as she gazed through the window in front of her and down on the streets of the City of Greyhawk below her. Streets that, as the darkness of night began to settle over the world overhead, were even now being illuminated by lights from the nearby houses and the lamps that adorned the corner of the streets. Lamps that were infused by arcane energy to light the streets at dusk. The people of Greyhawk went about their daily business, some of them returning from work, others heading for a night of drink, merriment and laughter. To a person they did not know what was heading for them even now. The true darkness that was about to hit.

"He will assault the heavens themselves. I do not put stock in the gods my friend, but," Minra's voice did not miss a beat, so adept she was at hiding her true feelings and the rising uncertainty she felt inside of her.

She turned back to the image. "May Heironeous protect us all from what is to come," closing her eyes she drew a warding sign across her chest.

"It is not Heironeous we should turn to for salvation."

The image began to fade as Minra's eyes snapped over to him. She begun to ask him about his curious comment, but the words died on her lips as she heard another sound. A footstep, creaking as it stepped over wooden floor. A small smile crossed Minra's lips at the irony of that. She had been considering getting the wooden floor replaced as it had been showing its age. As the figure came into view, she was glad she had not.

"I've been expecting you," her voice was calm and composed, tinged perhaps with the slightest hint of arrogance.

The figure moved towards her.

***

The Roc and Oliphant had always been a favourite destination for the younger, more trendy crowd in Greyhawk. Tonight was no different. The tavern, a little bit battered but no less lively for it, was packed full of people tonight. The main hall was packed, mostly by thin and serious looking young men. They crowded the benches around the fire-pit, earnestly debating the lectures that they had attended earlier on in the day. Beer mugs clinked and sloshed as all around the six revellers and patrons continued to drink themselves merry and, in some cases, beyond what some would term to be a decent level of sobriety.

Near the back a group of students were loudly serenading a red-faced coed who was well into the second verse of a bawdy drinking song. Bedraggled trenchers bustled from the back kitchen, carrying platters of roast bird and bowls of rich, greasy stew.

Serving women with fistfuls of mugs dodged the clumsy advances of drunken sophomores. Along the side wall, sitting on a chair perched atop a table, was a piper preparing to play. Tavernkeeper Rost Bygul was near the kitchen door, shouting instructions to his servants who were manhandling a fresh keg up from the cellar.....

The piper was stopped in his tracks somewhat by the arrival of the elf Jesper, as the warbles of his own drowned out whatever the other musician. At his general proclamation of wondering at where exactly Minra was, a quick scan of the crowd revealed that she was not in the common room. With a loud sigh, an exhortation as the servants dropped the keg on the floor and watched it roll back down to the cellar, he threw his hands up in disgust, stalking back to the bar.

"Minra Zaughrym." he nodded his head to the bard. "First time I've ever seen her snootiness grace us here with her presence. Why, I thought my eyes would pop out of my skull when I saw her stride in here as proud as day."

The man sighed again as he pointed to the one of the doors at the side of the common room.

"She's in the booth over there.

 
__________________

Last edited by Tarus; Feb 25th, 2022 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Feb 25th, 2022, 03:39 PM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 18th, 2023
RPXP: 7022
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 3,016
right-aligned image


left-aligned image




wcca was riding in the heavy teakettle on Kama's belt as they entered the tavern. Magical invisibility made the imp familiar quite safe, but a quarter-inch of wrought iron made it DM: I'm requesting that Pwcca gets total cover when down inside the kettle,
and 3/4 cover when peeking out with nothing exposed below eye level.
that much safer, besides offering the little devil a way to hide without using magic.

"Why, I thought my eyes would pop out of my skull when I saw her stride in here as proud as day," said a voice to the right.

The eyeless old Drow turned toward the voice to give Pwcca a better view.

"I'd give you an ugly look but you already have one," said Kama to the speaker as he walked by.

The kettle stifled a laugh.

Quiet, Kama scolded Pwcca in his thoughts.

left-aligned image
Sorry, master, Pwcca thought back.

Kama hadn't asked for directions. Instead, he had sent Pwcca scouting invisibly ahead to locate Minra with spying and eavesdropping. Kama didn't like parting with Pwcca, even in the same room, but he hated looking like a helpless freak even more.

Enter the third door on the right, Pwcca thought to him. I heard someone say Minra is in that room.

Kama went to the door and let himself in, calling out, "Hello, Minra, are you in here?"




 
 
__________________
Tutorial: 3D Combat
Tutorial: MapTool Battle Grids
Cover Artist: Explosive Runes 25 & 31
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Feb 25th, 2022, 07:55 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 16th, 2023
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 2,514
Kira Darkmoon
right-aligned image

When Kira looked around, not seeing Minra, she began to wonder, but then a loudmouth announced he was looking for the woman as well. She rolls her eyes and follows the man, but not close, just close enough to hear. The bartender, pointed at the direction where Minra is supposed to be. She walked quickly to the room and then the door seem to open on it's own, then she heard a voice. "Hello, Minra, are you in here?" She stood back in surprise, seeing no one, but then she went forward, she had to see if the woman was there.





 
__________________
Took the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Feb 25th, 2022, 08:10 PM
Onward's Avatar
Onward Onward is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 4566
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Posts: 3,668
Summer Asperman
right-aligned image

Summer knew that this elvish minstrel was acquainted with the librarian, so she simply watch to gleam the info he'd gather. She nods satisfied when she hit right on the mark, she stands up and head to the booth, however she discovers she's not alone, as another individual is about to enter the room,"Pray tell, are you too associated with the occupants in that room. Are you friendly, if not I kindly ask you to leave." Summer says to the half-elf woman, her bow in hand.


OOC
 

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 03:18 AM
ihinka's Avatar
ihinka ihinka is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 7235
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
Posts: 2,024
Minra!
right-aligned image
Dim's ears perked as she heard Minra's name in conjunction with directions to a private room she was apparently occupying. She turned in the direction and noticed promptly several individuals heading for the room. Ah, so these are your champions. Dim felt the fur on her back bristle beneath her robes and he whiskers stood at attention. 'You're jealous. Adorable!' The Raven Queen's mocking voice sounded in the tabaxi's head. A low growl an a quiet hiss were the only acknowledgement to the comment. But the Queen was mostly right. Even fully realizing Minra wouldn't summon multiple people to her aid, had the situation not been truly dire, Dim still disliked sharing her with others. Her feelings for the drow wizard had steadily bloomed in her grumpy chest since she'd established herself in Greyhawk.

But now was not the time to be a petulant child who doesn't like sharing their toys with others. Minra believing she was in danger trumped everything and Dim's worry for her manifested itself plainly in the razor sharp claws extending menacingly from her paws.

Dim cast her gaze at the regular patrons of the Roc and Oliphant. She'd never been one for places as this. Except when she needed to visit such locales for her work or for sustenance. But she did know all sorts of shady individuals could get lost or become well hidden within the riffraff that patron such establishments. The raven earring dangling from her ear glowed with her Let's try and cast Detect Evil and Goodintent. Soft words left Dim, murmured under her breath.

With this precaution out of the way, Dim headed for the room, indicated as Minra's, and her chosen one.

"Pardon, if we are all here at Minra's summons, let's not draw too much attention to ourselves." The Raven Queen cleric stated in a calm manner as a way of greeting. Her head motioned for the room. And even though her tones had been polite, she still managed to sound off-put and maybe even as if scolding unruly children into order.


OOC
 


 
__________________
How do you wanna do this?!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Hal Hammerhand's Avatar
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand is online now
Humble Tavernkeeper
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 2650
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Posts: 1,659
A Peculiar Elf":
right-aligned image
Jasper nodded to the barkeep with a cheerful tip of his wide-brimmed, faded blue hat, "Thank you, good sir, You are a gentleman and a scholar!" he is blissfully unaware of the other people who seem to be looking for Minra as he tucks his panflute back into it's straps on his backpack and produces his lute once more and starts playing a light-hearted tune and singing along,

"If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea
I'll sail the world to find you
If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see
I'll be the light to guide you

We find out what we're made of
When we are called to help our friends in need

You can count on me
Like 1, 2, 3
I'll be there
And I know when I need it
I can count on you
Like 4, 3, 2
You'll be there
'Cause that's what friends are supposed to do"

as he crossed the tavern but when he saw the others, standing at the door, somewhat at each other's throats, ready to fight, he launched into another tune,

"Let's be friends, let’s play together, Having fun, all together
Let's be friends, let’s play together, Having fun, all together
Your turn, then my turn, Let's share, and say thank you
Your turn, then my turn, Sharing is caring, it's what we do!

Let's be friends, let’s play together, Having fun, all together
Let's be friends, let’s play together, Having fun, all together

Your turn, then my turn, Let's share, and say thank you
Your turn, then my turn, Sharing is caring, it's what we do!

Let's be friends
Let's be friends

Let's be friends, let’s play together, Having fun, all together
Let's be friends, let’s play together, Having fun, all together
Let's be friends"

As he finishes his friendly song, he gives his lute one last strum and looks to the others, "Let's be friends, Yes? We'll all see Minra together." he sweeps off his hat and takes a bow, then gestures towards the door of the small room adjoining the common room.


OOC:
 


Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Feb 26th, 2022 at 08:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 07:43 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 16th, 2023
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 2,514
Kira Darkmoon
right-aligned image

When Kira was about to enter the room, she was stopped by bowwoman. By her words, she knew she was another that had gotten a letter, otherwise, if she were a body guard, she was doing a lousy job of it. "Yes, she's the librarian at my school. My friend and tutor."

Just then, a bard, the one who announced for all to hear. She shook her head at him. "I agree, lets go in, and by the way, speak a little louder so the whole town knows the lady is." She then turns to enter the room.





 
__________________
Took the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 08:08 PM
Onward's Avatar
Onward Onward is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 25th, 2023
RPXP: 4566
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Posts: 3,668
Summer Asperman
right-aligned image

Summer was surprised to see that a lot more people where called to help Minra,"Hmm, I see, if we are all indeed associates of that librarian, and she called us here. This matter is very serious indeed." she says, also adding a comment toward the elf bard,"I am also one to agree with these two's sentiments, their is word called subtleties, mayhaps you should read about it, no." the strangely accented girl says and follows the others inside the room.


OOC
 

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB