DnD5e Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance Age of Mortals campaign - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28607
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance Age of Mortals campaign

Game Name and System

Dragons of a Broken World

A Dragonlance Age of Mortals campaign for 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons

Based on following published adventure modules: “The Sylvan Key”, “Key of Destiny”, “Spectre of Sorrows” and “Price of Courage”

Inspirational Music: Dragonlance Tales by Tartalo Music

ThemeHigh Fantasy, Epic Adventure that will change the face of the world, Legends in the making

FlavourFriendship, Loss, Sacrifice, Good Vs Evil, Racial Prejudice, Faith in the gods or oneself, Prophecy and its fulfillment

The Game Welcome, friends, welcome! Come, sit by the fire and let its warmth chase away the chill of winter. Buy me an ale and I shall tell you of the many lives I have lived. You don’t believe me? And yet it‘s true. I am known as the Herald. The memories of Krynn are mine to know and share.

Ever since its creation the world has been marked by constant war. Elves, ogres, humans and dragons have fought against each other time and again, some seeking to fulfill the Dark Queen‘s ambitions, others to thwart them. So many times darkness has threatened to devour the world only to be bested by light at the very last moment. You know what I speak of. The War of the Lance made the stars shine brighter in the heavens, bringing back the hope of a better future that had been lost during the Cataclysm.

But it was not to last. The Graygem was broken open and the Father of All and of Nothing escaped his ancient prison and sought to punish both the mortals and the gods for their insolence. The power of Chaos almost destroyed the world we know and love. Almost. Through bravery and sacrifice Krynn survived, though the cost was great. The gods abandoned the world once more, this time for good, we thought. The Age of Mortals dawned, but it did so in ash and cinders.

Led by Malystryx the Red, alien dragons claimed dominion over our world and our lives. They corrupted everything they touched and even the land itself was shaped to better suit their twisted natures. Most people bowed their heads to their unnatural appetites and only a few found it in their hearts to fight back. Sadly, without the gods to guide and inspire them, victory seemed as immaterial as a fleeting dream, soon giving its place to the grim reality that was life under the Dragon Overlords.

This time change -or was it fate?- took the form of a great storm and a slip of a girl with hair the color of fire. Mina and her One God managed to do what had not been considered possible before. They broke the might of the Solamnic Knights, brought down the impenetrable Silvanesti Shield and killed the Red Marauder once and for all. All in the name of the One God, all in the name of Takhisis.

Our world, however, is not meant to be the domain of one god alone. The gods returned and in order for the dark to be contained, light had to suffer as well. At the same time that Paladine willingly relinquished the divine spark inside him, Takhisis was forcibly stripped of hers. The Dark Queen lost her godly might that day and soon her mortal life as well, her bane the love her disciple had ignited in the breast of Silvanos‘ unrealized hope.

The soul of the world was saved, but not all souls who were lost have found their way to the Beyond. The gods work through mortal hands to heal Krynn‘s wounds and restore that which should have never been tainted. Hope for those who can no longer help themselves rests in you, future heroes. Will you heed the call? Will you write your own legend?

normal image without text wrap
Art by Jeff Easley

The Particulars- I am looking for 6 long term players. If you are not sure whether or not you have the time or if you are able to commit to the game, please don’t apply. Both new players and veterans of 5th Edition DnD are welcome. Knowledge of the Dragonlance setting is preferred, but not necessary, though an openness to learning is. I intend to stay true to the official lore as much as I can.

- Leveling will be by Milestones. After each chapter (including the prologue) the PCs will be gaining a level. Multiclassing is allowed, though it should not be abused (there is a maximum of three classes). All PCs will be starting at 1st level and assuming the adventuring modules are played to the end (which is very ambitious, I realize) the PCs will be reaching level 20 and getting an epic boon.

- The required posting rate is once per week, though I will try to make minor updates more often, if necessary. I have a soft spot for purple prose and ask for a certain quality in each player post, though players are certainly not required to match the length of my own posts, which can be considerable. Real life can be crueler than Takhisis and a player may be forced to be absent for a certain amount of time. This is to be expected and fine with me, though I do ask for it to be communicated clearly and in time to me and the rest of the group.

- Since the adventure is based on official modules, combat and roleplaying are more or less balanced, though I clearly prefer the latter. Simple battles might be resolved through “theatre of mind” and for more complex ones I will be using maps. Designing battle maps will be new for me, thus I ask you to be patient and forgiving. I promise to do my best.

- You will be rolling (6 times 4d6, drop the lowest) for the PC attributes once, though if you are not happy with what you get, you may choose the 27 point-buy system or standard array instead. PLEASE, DO NOT ROLL DICE IN THIS THREAD! Use this link instead, though you may roll after you are accepted. The same is true for HPs at leveling. You will be rolling once and, if you are not happy with the result, may take average HPs instead. At 1st level you will be getting maximum HPs as usual.

- Each PC will be getting a free feat at character creation with the exception of Aurak Draconians, who are very powerful as they are. That means that Human (variant) characters will be starting with two feats. There are will be revealed later to those who are acceptedseveral new setting-specific feats and weapons that can be chosen too. The race requirements for some feats can be waived off, if an exception to the rules seems logical. This is especially true for -but not restricted to- feats for races that are not allowed (like halflings, half-orcs and dragonborn). A character sheet is not required to apply to the game, but you are welcome to work on one, if you would like to do so.

- I intend on reviewing each and every completed application, assuming that I am given the time to do so. My free time varies greatly, so please be patient with me. If a week goes by after completing an application and you have received no feedback, please notify me. I ask you to apply with a single character, though you may replace your initial character, if you decide to go for something else instead.

- The applications will be remaining open for four weeks from the time I have posted this, meaning that the deadline is on 17.04.22. This is to ensure that those who are not familiar with the setting get the chance to take a look at the official lore (see below), if they wish, and to make any modifications to their characters according to the feedback they receive. If you require a little bit of extra time to finish an application you have started, please say so. A day or two won’t be making any difference and I intend this game to last for a long time. Though I know that the odds are against me, hope is a very important theme in Dragonlance and I would be remiss to ignore it.

A few Words about MeHello, fellow RPGXers!

Some of you might know me, since I have been in a lot of games in the last couple of years. For those of you that don’t, I have been a member of these forums since April 2019 with a pretty constant presence. I love storytelling and roleplaying and though the dice regularly remind me that I do not have their favor, I persist nonetheless.

My first experience with roleplaying games was no, I am sadly no longer in my early twentiesat a time when cell phones were heavy, bulky and primarily used to call others and I was immediately hooked. Though I have had to abstain from my hobby for many years, I never forgot the amazing feeling of being able to tell an epic tale and get to play one‘s own heroic (or not) character.

Eventually I discovered this site and the great community that frequents and sustains it and finding a group of like-minded individuals somewhere nearby was no longer an issue. I now got to play with people from all over the world! The golden era of my gaming days began and thankfully there is no end in sight.

After three years of being a player in the games of others and having learnt quite a lot from a number of Game Masters with a variety of skills and different gaming styles, I finally found the courage to run a game of my own. And what game could it be other than a Dragonlance game?

Dragonlance has been my great love since before I had even heard of D&D. I have spent countless hours reading the many novels that describe this rich world and even had the privilege of acting as Dungeon Master for a group of friends in a homebrew campaign. Though I ended up I really hate vorpal blades!killing the group by accident, it was still a highly enjoyable experience. I claim to have Sorry, FCastor learnt from my mistakes and in any case I brought most PCs back from the Abyss and married the player of the one that I didn’t, so I consider this debt settled.

Now I make a dynamic comeback with an official adventure path (originally for DnD 3.5e) that promises to be epic in scope and hope that I will find enough people out there either remembering the old Dragonlance days fondly or interested in finding out what it was all about.

Long live the Lance and those who wield it!

Character ApplicationPlease be sure to include all required elements of the application before declaring it complete. Thank you.

The Basics

Character Name

Race

Background

Class

The Moral Axis

Alignment

Deity

Affiliation

The Personality

Traits

Ideal

Bond*

Flaw

The Creative Touch

Appearance

Backstory

Roleplaying Sample

The Mundane

Familiarity with the Dragonlance setting, the Age of Mortals and the adventure modules:

Status of the application:

Final NotesThe Dragonlance lore is extremely rich with over a hundred novels and dozens of adventure modules and game supplements for various DnD editions. As can be expected the material is full of inconsistencies, which are known as “kender tales” among the fans. Sovereign Press has made a great effort of establishing a certain canon and that is the lore I will be trying to stay true to.

If you are looking to learn more about the world, the Dragonlance Nexus and the Dragonlance Wiki are two excellent sources of reliable information and I will be using both to refresh my memory when needed.

At the moment there is no Wizards of the Coast approved, official content for Dragonlance DnD 5e, though an Unearthed Arcana article appeared a short time ago, which has given rise to some hope that the Dragonlance campaign setting might be officially supported in the near future. If that is the case, some of the material might need to be modified, but until that time all Unearthed Arcana content remains mostly inspirational rather than material that will be used in the game.

Last edited by Elanir; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:35 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Questions and AnswersDo you have any questions about subjects that are not covered above? Please ask and I shall do my best to clarify.

What are the Wizard subclasses that are marked as new?

Dark Dwarf Savant: Theiwar or Daegar Black Robe or Renegade who gains proficiency with alchemical supplies and one artisan’s tool, is able to craft items faster and gains permanent mutations that enhance his physical and/or mental characteristics.

Dreamshaper: Red Robe with enhanced illusion spells.

Griffon Wizard: Elf White Robe with a griffon (=griffin) as a familiar and several bonuses when fighting alongside it.

Kingfisher: White Robe belonging to the Auxiliary of the Solamnic Knights who gains proficiency with one martial weapon and vehicles (land), raises the AC of allies and thwarts the defenses of enemies of the order against their magic.

Renegade Hunter: White, Red or Black Robe with the ability to increase the potency of their own magic and decrease that of their targets, who must be arcane spellcasters.

Sea Mage: Wizard who gains proficiency with athletics or acrobatics, is able to better maintain concentration, can affect anyone aboard a ship as if they were standing next to them and cast stronger wind and water spells.

Winternorn: Wizard with resistance (and eventually immunity) to cold, the ability to turn other forms of damage to cold and to summon animals that also deal cold damage and is able to anticipate the actions of others.

What classes/subclasses are able to take the Test of High Sorcery and join one of the three Orders?

Currently only Wizards (any subclass) may join the Orders of High Sorcery.

Is 15 (before applying racial bonuses) the highest you can get an ability score to at character creation when using 27-point-buy?

Correct!

Will the "Customizing your Origins" Character Options from Tasha's be allowed?

Yes, though I would have to approve any changes made. If they don’t contradict the lore and suit the character’s backstory, I won’t be having any objections.

Which artisan tools belong to which of the three major gnomish guilds (craft, technical, or sage)?

Craft Guild: Weaver’s tools, Painter’s supplies, Potter’s tools, Leatherworker’s tools, Smith’s tools, Woodcarver’s tools

Technical Guild: Carpenter’s tools, Glassblower’s tools, Mason’s tools, Tinker’s tools, Cobbler’s tools

Sage Guild: Alchemist’s supplies, Brewer’s supplies, Calligrapher’s supplies, Cartographer’s tools, Cook’s utensils, Jeweler’s tools

Last edited by Elanir; Mar 26th, 2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Future Heroes of the Age of Mortals
Player Character Race Class Deity Affiliation Application Status
FCastor Isandril Moonsilver Silvanesti Elf Wizard (Bladesinger) Solinari White Robes Complete
Begon Ugo Talia Dawnstar True Kender Rogue (Inquisitive) Gilean None Complete
Keylan - - - - - Not Applied
RossN Khadar Fireweaver Human (Flotsam) Sorcerer (Draconic) (Sirrion) None Complete
Silent Rain Grayson Maddox Human (Solamnic) Wizard (Renegade Hunter) Lunitari (Red Robes) Complete
Delpinator Zahir Meritt Human (Abanasinian Plainsfolk) Ranger (Hunter) Paladine Knights of the Sword Incomplete
Chylopan - - - - - Not Applied
O2CXt3 Galfine Galanodel Half-Elf (Silvanesti/Ice Folk) Bard (Eloquence) Branchala None Complete
Tomplum Barden Nales Human (Abanasinian) Cleric (Life) Mishakal None Complete
Mindsiege Blyne Irda Sorcerer (Clockwork Soul or Divine Soul) None None Complete
Avner Huldal Zenibrar Klar Dwarf Barbarian (Battlerager) Sirrion Legion of Steel Complete
AG128L - - - - - Not Applied
Lazer Devari Marossa/Veraline of Staughton Human (Ergothian) Bard (Eloquence) None None Complete
Hayar Kaylen Nightstone Daewar Dwarf Cleric (Twilight) Mishakal Holy Orders of the Stars Complete
Kymrel Anna Thurman Human (Solamnic) Fighter (TBD) Kiri-Jolith (Legion of Steel) Withdrawn
Nyx89 Aranea Hawthorne Human (Nerakese) Rogue (Phantom) (Sirrion) None Incomplete
Pinotage Terena Seranial/Myra Demachal Human (Ice Folk) Bard (Spirits) Branchala None Complete
The Dark Star Krom Golden Tooth Goblin Monk (Four Elements) Kiri-Jolith None Complete
PalladiaMors Leanna Tinker Gnome Artificer (Artillerist) None None Complete
Rhaiber Barleymalt Whistewetter True Kender Artificer (Alchemist) None None Complete
Noquarter19 Aric Armitage Human (Abanasinian) Fighter (Arcane Archer) Habbakuk None Complete
Andor Pnoah (“Noah”) Tinker Gnome Artficer (Armorer) Reorx None Complete
Starflier Kaladur es-Brevkos Minotaur Ranger (Swarmkeeper) Habbakuk None Complete
Tommyk382 Tegan uth William Human (Solamnic) Fighter (Knight of the Sword) Kiri-Jolith Knights of Solamnia Complete
Talissen70 Emberside of the Vulture’s Talon tribe Kagonesti Elf Druid (Stars) Habbakuk None Complete
Silverfeathers Asherah / Ash Bozak Draconian Fighter (Eldritch Knight or Battle Master) None None Complete
Jrod Gaias Leafweave Half-Elf (Qualinesti or Silvanesti) Paladin (Ancients) Chislev None Withdrawn
Black Jim Xihue Human (Alan-Atu) Monk (Sun Soul or Open Hand) None None Complete
Thorsten Janus Valdine Human (Abanasinian) Wizard (TBD) None (Knights of Neraka) Complete

Last edited by Elanir; Apr 17th, 2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:40 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3916
FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor
Yeeeah... So interested words cannot even begin to describe it.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
So very glad to hear it, FCastor. I am very excited to see what you’ll come up with. By the way, I promise that vorpal blades are banned from this campaign. Just to be certain…
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3916
FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
So very glad to hear it, FCastor. I am very excited to see what you’ll come up with. By the way, I promise that vorpal blades are banned from this campaign. Just to be certain…
Honestly? Quite possibly a Silvanesti or Qualinesti Wizard, probably a Bladesinger, by the name of Ethaniel Moonsilver.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds perfect!
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41718
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
So... Kender... kender... kender... Application incoming my friend!
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 03:53 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you, Begon! May I be hoping… handler?
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 04:09 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41718
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Kender... handler... archeologist! Mayhem in the pursuit of knowledge!
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 04:15 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Very inspired! Finally a new “hands on” breed of scholar in Ansalon. Beware, Aesthetics!
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 04:36 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 605
keylan keylan keylan keylan keylan keylan
I'm a huge DL fan. Also very interested in joining this campaign. Possibly a cleric but most likely a knight of Solmina
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylan View Post
I'm a huge DL fan. Also very interested in joining this campaign. Possibly a cleric but most likely a knight of Solmina
Perhaps a Knight of the Sword? It’s the best of both worlds.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 06:43 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 803
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
Yay! Dragonlance! I've got a lot of love for that setting!

Hmm... I do like Wizards but I see you already have a volunteer there. Perhaps a Rogue then or maybe a Sorcerer? Oh... the pain of decisions...
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome, RossN! All classes are useful and all are needed. Just go with what you would like to play the most.