Game Thread Home is where the hearth is - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Village Survival
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 01:56 AM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 3299
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,613
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria feels the Demon"s whip slash against her armour but not draw blood. She is clearly a formidable foe, but if is also clear that her sword can damage her. She swings her sword to attack the Demon trying to place the blow to do as much damage as possible. She is pleased when the blow hits and the blade cuts the Demon.

Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Apr 28th, 2022 at 01:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 09:14 AM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 2nd, 2022
RPXP: 20424
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,692
Erinyes Battle
Ash is in fine form, his axe swings and he is perhaps an inch away from the red skinned fiend's skin. An inch may as well be a mile though as he misses the strike. Gavin's weapon glows with holy power and yet she seems to simply step aside. Her voice mocking in his ears, "Oh have your gods returned? No longer running in fear are they? Too bad they have such worthless servants."

Autumn sends an arrow at the woman and it clinks off of the whip handle. Though it does put her out of place allowing Ria to slice into her side. Again, it feels as if she is striking into solid stone. That is when the demoness notices Bran's activities and growls. "How do you know that ritual? I will flay it from your hide." Her whip strikes out at Ash and Ria again.


 

Last edited by Ysolde; Apr 29th, 2022 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 10:12 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 8377
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,877


Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
Bran wore an incredibly worried look on his face as he watched his companions battle the demoness, it did not look like the battle was going well and despite the furious assault of Ash and the others they had barely scratched the red skinned woman. Bran just hoped that his friends were strong enough to keep them selves safe and to keep the Erinyes distracted.

Bran however clenched his jaw and set his brow in concentration as he focused on what he had to do. Continuing to circle the battle Bran left a small trail of black powder in his wake.

"Fallen angel from the nine hells heart, here me now! I call thy name, Erinyes, Erinyes, Erinyes!" Bran almost began to chant as he walked. "Baptised in flame and hells wrath, return there now and leave this plane. Your time to walk the earth is at an end..." Bran continued as he came to a stop and brought the halberd down and slammed it in to the earth before he started to carve a second symbol in the soft earth.

Two runes were now carved in the ground on opposite sides of the demonic looking woman and a trail of powder linked them together in a semi circle.

Lifting the halberd up Bran then continued to circle once again sprinkling yet more powder. The urge to tremble as he walked was strong but the young gnome did his best to hide his fear and apprehension as he performed the ritual.




OoC-Ritual round 2

**Please note Bran currently has Protection from Evil cast on him.

Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 11:59 AM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 5291
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,726


Gavin has years of practice letting the harsh words of others go in one ear and out the other, as his mother used to say. Even so, he is starting to get angry. Maybe it's the demon taunting him, or the fact that he can't seem to land or blow, or what she said she wants to do to Bran. Whatever it is, Gavin has to take a deep breath to center himself and keep his anger in check. He can tell that nothing he can say will get to this creature, so he must simply do better. If he can start hitting her, while continuing to protect Ria, maybe he can get her to forget about Bran and he will have enough time to finish whatever magic he is working on.

 


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 1614
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 388
Ash - 6/20
right-aligned image

Ash's anger and rage grows as the Blood Demon toys with him, slipping aside his swings so easily. he would be disheartened if he hadn't seen Ria was capable of striking the creature so he fought on, knowing he would soon find his flow and start to whittle her down like an Oak, swinging until she fell. He barely even registered the Black Whip slicing into his Chest, drawing a line of blood, the wound only superficial to his rage enhanced body but the burning sensation lingered and told him something was wrong.

He didn't know how he knew, it was not something he was experienced in but he knew the whip was poisoned and that venom was now coursing through his body trying to take hold. his new nature seemed to shrug off the concern however, he was confident he could overcome the toxin through sheer force of will and he was already infected to there was no point worrying about it right now.

Seeing young Bran up to something Ash quirked an eyebrow, whatever it was he didn't understand but from the Demons reaction it wasn't something she liked so best to keep her distracted so Bran could finish. Once more Ash took a swing at the creature



Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move: Attacking Blood Creature
Action: Reckless Attack with Axe
Dice Attack at advantage:
2D20+6kh1 (4, 14 (keeping 14) )+6 Total = 20
Dice Damage if Successful:
1D12+6 (12)+6 Total = 18
Dice Additional Damage if Critical:
1D12+6 (4)+6 Total = 10

Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other: Save vs Poison on Whip
Dice Con Save vs DC 13:
1D20+3 (13)+3 Total = 16



Stat BlockDaevan "Ash" Farrin
Chaotic Neutral | Shifter - Beasthide | Barbarian

HP: 25 / 36 (Shifted)| AC: 15 (Shifted) | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision (60ft)

Passive Perception: 13 | Speed: 30 | Proficiency Bonus: +2

STR 19(+4) | DEX 12 (+1) | CON 16 (+3) | INT 10 (0) | WIS 12 (+1) | CHA 8 (-1)

Weapons: Heavy(2-handed). +6 Attack (1d12+4 Damage)Lumberjack Axe | Thrown(20/60) +6 Attack/+3 Ranged (1d6+4 Damage)Hand Axes (2) | Thrown(30/120). +3 Attack (1d6+4 Damage)Javelin (4)


Features and Abilities: Common, Quori, ElvenLanguages | Armor: Light, Medium, Shields
Weapons: Simple & Martial
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Tools: Flute +1
Skills: Animal Handling: +3, Athletics: +6, Intimidation: +1, Nature: +2, Perception: +3, Survival: +3
Proficiencies
Barbarian Traits: In Battle can fight with Primal Ferocity. Can enter rage as a bonus action. Rage Lasts for 1 Minute. it ends if Lose consciousness, turn ends and havent attacked a hostile creature since last turn or taken damage since then, or volutarily ended with a bonus action. may only rage twice per long rest period.
While raging gains the following benefits if isnt wearing heavy armor
Advantage on Strength checks and Strength Saving Throws
When making a melee weapon attack using strength, gains a +2 Damage bonus
Has resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing Damage
Rage | When not wearing any armor, AC is equal to 10 + Dex Mod + Con Mod. Can use Shield and still gain this benefitUnarmored Defense | You gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren't as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger. You have advantage on Dexterity Saving Throws against Effects that you can see, such as traps and Spells. To gain this benefit, you can't be Blinded, Deafened, or IncapacitatedDanger Sense | you can throw aside all concern for Defense to Attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first Attack on Your Turn, you can decide to Attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon Attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but Attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turnReckless Attack
Shifter Traits: Proficency in PerceptionKeen Senses | 60ft. See in Dim light as if Bright Light, and see in darkness as if in Dim Light. No Color VisionDarkvision | Proficiency in AthleticsTough | Use a Bonus action to assume a more bestial appearance for 1 minute or until ended, Only affective once per rest period (long or Short). When shifted gain temporary hit points equal to Level plus CON Mod +1D6. AC+1 while shiftedShifting


Background: Outlander
Origin: Wanderer - You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forthForester

Last edited by Dylan Scott; Apr 29th, 2022 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 05:39 PM
PapaHuck's Avatar
PapaHuck PapaHuck is online now
Okay-ish Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 2269
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Posts: 457
Ness
right-aligned image

There was something niggling at the back of the villagers’ consciousness as they fought the she-devil. In bardic stories of ancient heroes (long banned by the God-King, but of course still sung frequently when spying ears were not about) the epic descriptions of the battles are often performed in verse, usually accompanied by driving, exciting music on a lute or a drum. It was almost as if the villagers-come-heroes could hear that same music now as they engaged this fell foe in deadly combat.

No, wait. There was nothing “almost” about it. They could definitely all hear the driving rhythm of a lute being played with passion and skill, and it was getting louder. What lunacy was this?

The question was answered as it was birthed: bounding around the corner a madman with the legs of a goat came leaping and skipping, turning wild flips in the air, all the while strumming crazily at his instrument.

Rapidly approaching the combat, this character began to sing:

"Though it plans on lingering,
We Children of the Fall,
The Blood-Curse of the Fallen King,
We’ll purge from Misty-Vale!"

But where had this mysterious goat-man come from? I’m glad you asked. . .

Why Ness was late to work
It was awkward, but there it was: Ness and Timmy had gotten a little behind schedule. It was all because they had been so excited to actually find people at the Melmont farmstead the evening before last. Prior to that, every place they had come to collect the night soil had been abandoned. So you can excuse them if they enjoyed the company a little too much, singing and sharing drink well into the night. All actions have consequences, and the karma of their revelry was to have to work extra-long that night. Well into the next morning in fact, not returning to their meager stone shack until the sun was high in the sky.

Naturally exhausted from such an experience, the gong farmers didn’t awake again until the sun had well set. So it was for this reason that there whole shift was set back several hours. Once again, the gong farmers found themselves still spreading the night soil across the last bit of high ground before the land started getting boggy and low west of town. Although it had been taboo for gong farmers to be seen working in the fields in the day, Ness wasn’t too worried about them being seen. With so much of the countryside and outskirts abandoned they might as well take advantage of it and work in the day. Saved on torches too, ever since they started burning extra to drive away the king rats.

So there is was that Ness and Timmy came to be spreading gong on the fields west of town in the afternoon. The change in schedule had left the two a little bleary, and Ness had even paused in his usual musical accompaniment of their work. So it was that the rat-hunting party was already passing into the swamp before Timmy spotted them.

"Master look – other people!" Timmy pointed at the colorful crew stalking their way into the bog.

"Eh? I was starting to wonder if we still had any of those. One of them appears to have four legs of a horse!" Ness looks down at his own two goat legs. "Compensating, no doubt."

Ness usually kept to himself. The expectation for gong farmers to do so was pretty overt. But things had changed, and now he felt himself very concerned for the welfare of diverse set of trackers entering the swamp.

"Timmy, it’s daylight now, and we haven’t seen any king rats at all since night before last. How would you feel if you finished up the manure spreading while I checked out on those folks tracking into the swamp?"

"Don’t worry, Master. I’ve got this."

"Oh course you have, Timmy. You’re quite a fellow."

With lute in hand, Ness took off in a chaotic but rapid series of sprints and leaps, following the others into the swamp.


Ness arrives on the scene. It's utter chaos, but it seems pretty obvious the whip wielding fiend is an enemy of the village. Ness notes a few powerful-looking combatants engaged with the devil, and quite a little fellow furiously at work at some kind of ritualistic circle.

Yikes - This looks serious! That little fellow looks like he’s doing something important. Better lend a hand keeping this she-devil distracted!

Capering and leaping to put himself behind the she-devil (but notably out of range of her whip), the satyr’s words become strange, dark, and heavy, as he addresses the devil directly, using a heavy cadence to convey a message in a Infernaldisturbingly alien tongue.

Ness can’t quite explain how he came up with what he said to the Erinyes. Ever since the cataclysm, it’s sort of like the whole dance of the cosmos is this elaborate symphony he can sometimes catch snippets of. After the dust settled, Ness tried to describe what he said to the she-devil:

"You’re failure has begun now in earnest.
Your annihilation is inevitable and will be total.
Avernus will fall and then all of Baator.
Your vaults will empty of souls.
None shall remember your insignificant name, you feeble baatezu!"


Okay, first part is pretty straightforward. Ness casts Vicious Mockery on the Erinyes. She has to make a DC 13 Wisdom save, or suffer 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on her next attack roll. Next part is a little bit complicated. Ness is holding his bonus action until the Erinyes has attacked, after which, his held bonus action will be to use Bardic Inspiration on Gavin – giving him +1d6 to his next attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. UNLESS the Erinyes happens to hit someone with one of her next attacks. If that happens, Ness will instead use his reaction to cast Silvery Barbs, forcing the Erinyes to roll a second die on the attack roll, and take the lower of the two rolls (after-the-fact disadvantage), then the casting of Silvery Barbs will assign advantage to Gavin’s next attack roll (instead of the +1d6 from the previous scenario). Hopefully Gavin will be able to hit and unleash a nasty 3d8 radiant damage smite. . .
Dice psychic damage:
1d4 4
After taunting the devil, Ness lends encouragement to the dragon knight locked in close combat. Again words spring into his brain from he knows not where:

"Dragon knight! Dragon knight! Chosen of Bahamut! The Shining One makes no mistakes when he chooses his champions! Feel the truth in your heart that your mace will strike true!"

Somehow, the Satyr's words resonate with the dragonborn paladin, and he finds calm, confidence, and focus in his next attack.

 

 


Last edited by PapaHuck; Apr 29th, 2022 at 05:59 PM. Reason: many, many typos
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 08:18 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 2,479
Autumn Luwddoc
right-aligned image

Autumn was determined not to falter or let the demoness mockery affect her. She nocked another necromancy arrow, and let if fly at the creature.



Action
Dice To hit:
1d20+4 (14)+4 Total = 18

Dice Damage:
1d6+2 (4)+2 Total = 6






Autuamn's stats
 
__________________
Took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by WildJessi; May 4th, 2022 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old May 1st, 2022, 04:43 AM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 3299
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,613
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria feels the Demon's whip slash against her armour and draw blood. As she resists some poison that the whip inserts into her, she swings her sword to attack the Demon trying to place the blow to do as much damage as possible. She is disappointed when the blow hits but the blade fails to cut into the Demon.

Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; May 1st, 2022 at 06:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old May 2nd, 2022, 04:13 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 2nd, 2022
RPXP: 20424
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,692
Erinyes Fight
The Music fills everyone with motivation and suddenly the battle turns. Gavin slashes at her and divine light slices into the demon's leg making her screech with pain. Soon after Ash's axe hits into her side and Autumn sends an arrow into the demoness' side that seems to drain the blood from her body. Ria is the last to attack but the injured and bleeding demoness falls to the ground bleeding out making the woman just miss her strike.

The group is left with the cooling body as it slowly begins to decay. Turning back into the blood that summoned her.


 
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old May 3rd, 2022, 11:34 AM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 5291
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,726


Gavin is so focused n the fight with the blood demon that it takes him a while to hear the music and singing approaching. He catches a glimpse of a man with goat legs and small horns, playing a lute and dancing about as he works his way behind the demon. Gavin finds the music pleasant, even if it seems a little out of place in the middle of a battle. The man's voice becomes unpleasant when he starts singing in a different language, sounding completely wrong paired with the light music. Just as suddenly as his words turned foul, the man's voice returns to sounding quite pleasant, and Gavin is surprised to find he is apparently singing about him. He has never been mentioned in any kind of song before and it makes him smile. The words are simple, but they somehow seem to provide him with a sharper focus on the fight. He isn't sure if he is getting better at fighting, or if it's the song, but he sees the demon move her hip to strike out with her whip again, and he notices a small gap in her defense. He reacts as soon as he sees it, striking out with his morning star and slamming it into her leg. Gavin wonders if the singing had an effect on everyone else as well, since they all lash out, striking the demon and killing her.

Gavin brings his guard back up and looks around the clearing for more threats, but it seems that there are no more enemies. He remembers Bran calling out for someone to heal Ash during the fight, but there was no time to do it then and Ash hadn't seemed bothered by his injuries. Once he calms down, Gavin will ask him if he would like to have his wounds seen to. For now, however, there is the newcomer to greet and a window into the infernal realms to deal with. Gavin is happy to let Bran weigh in on how to deal with the window. His first instinct is to just smash it, but he doesn't know if that would work.

"I think we should let Bran finish what he is doing and see if that takes care of the window. I would ask him about it now, but I don't want to interrupt whatever it is he's doing. I think we should just smash the thing, but it's clearly magic, so it's probably better to let him weigh in on how to deal with it. In the meantime," Gavin slips his weapon back into his belt and turns to the newcomer. "Hello. I must admit, at first I thought singing and playing music during a fight was strange, but I could feel your words helping me to focus better. So thank you." Gavin holds out his hand in greeting. "I'm Gavin, and my friends are Ash, Autumn, Ria, and Bran." Gavin points to each person in turn as he introduces them. "May I ask your name"

 

 
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old May 4th, 2022, 06:20 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 8377
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,877


Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
A few weeks prior and the presence of a satyr singing and playing music would have been a huge shock to Bran but now it was just one more pecularity in this ever changing world. The Satyr however did not seem to have hostile intent and infact seemed to be singing in support of their group so Bran did not worry about it for the time being other than to wonder if the Forest Lord had sent one of it's servants to aid them.

Focusing on his ritual with a look of intense concentration Bran continued to circle the Erinyes as he sprinkled a small amount of powder. When the fiendish woman dropped to the ground after sustaining several blows Bran did not relax not believing it to be truly over and instead he slammed the halberd in to the ground and began carving out a third and final symbol. The young gnome then completed the last of his circuit as he traced at a full circle with his powder.

"Begone! Leave this plane and never return!" Bran then declared at the top of his voice as he slammed the halberd in to the ground one last time. Flames then erupted from the circle of powder that surrounded the body of the Erinyes forming a small wall of flame and the three runes that the gnome had carved in to the ground began to glow with power. "BEGONE!" Bran then declared one last time.



OoC-Ritual complete! Stopping here so Ysolde can describe anything else that happens...

**Please note Bran currently has Protection from Evil cast on him.

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old May 4th, 2022, 12:22 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 1614
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 388
Ash - 7/20
right-aligned image

Once more his grin is wide and feral as Ash finally manages to sink the edge of his axe deep into the demon's side with a heavy satisfying thunk, it seems everyone has finally found their rhythm and struck their blows, the creature finally succumbing to her injuries. Standing over her rapidly decomposing and collapsing body Ash leans down and snarls loudly at the corpse, echoing back her words "Pathetic!"

Casting his gaze around for more danger, his golden slitted eyes fall on the new creature to appear, around five and a half feet tall with huge rams horns and legs of a goat, clearly another demon. Ash once more raises his axe, snarling at the creature ready to strike, teeth bared. The only thing staying his hand for the moment is Bran completing his ritual, chance had put Ash inside the completed circle and the new creature outside it. he wasn't versed in the mystical arts but he seemed to have the idea that breaching the circle before Bran completed his ritual would be a bad thing so he held his position.

The adrenaline still coursing through his body, the magic pulsing in his muscles, so intoxicating. he wanted to hold onto this power for as long as he could, he could feel the wounds on his body opening and bleeding with every movement he made but they bothered him less than they should and he didn't feel weak from them, he felt more alive, whatever was happening to him he liked the feeling.



Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Prepared to strike the Goat Demon when it enters the circle and attacks
Other:



Stat Block
 
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old May 4th, 2022, 02:49 PM
PapaHuck's Avatar
PapaHuck PapaHuck is online now
Okay-ish Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 2269
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Posts: 457
Ness
right-aligned image

Where the devil did that strange curse that I threw at . . . that devil . . . come from? I feel like my eyes have been forced open by this strange magical transformation, but to see the darkness as well as the light. . .

As the transformed villagers overcome the Erinyes, Ness can’t help but taunt her one last time. "Ha! There’s a message from Mistvale – take that straight back to Hell!"

Ness is absorbed in the she-devil’s transformation and disappearance upon her death. It’s grotesque, but also beautiful, in a way. Part of him is tempted to scoop up part of her rapidly decaying form before it all disappears – as a memento, as a totem, as a clue? He’s not quite sure where the inspiration comes from. But instead he just watches as she returns to a pile of blood.

He is still watching the place where she was when the dragon knight regards him.

"Eh? Oh I’m Jiminy . . . err . . . Ness, that is." Ness pantomimes the motion of scooping manure. "The gong farmer. But now I’m a goat-man, apparently."

"And your name is Gavin then? You’re from the village right? I feel that I sense that you are. I don’t know too many by face or name though. . . . You fought brilliantly, by the way. I can feel the thirst for justice and the compulsion to defend the weak radiating from you like a warm glow, Gavin. The whole village is in your debt for what you did against the devil today!"

Ness turns to the towering axe-wielding beast-man. "A few more than thirty years ago, Ness was emptying the cesspit at the Farrin homestead. The Farrin’s were less fussy than most folks, so he had put them first on the shift’s route, and there was still a little light in the sky as he hauled his grimy form out of the pit. It was then that he observed a boy, perhaps five years old, being teased by his neighbors for being so dirty, the other children calling him “ash”. At twelve years old, Ness was scarcely more than a boy himself. Ness usually did his best to not be seen or heard. But for some reason he decided to say something that evening. He called out to the teased boy as he returned to the Farrin house: “You don’t look that dirty to me, Ash-Man.” He used the term Ash-Man, because he thought it sounded more dignified than “ash”. In the perhaps five times in the intervening thirty-some years that Ness and Ash may have had a brief word in passing, Ness has consistently called him “Ash-Man”.Ash-Man, is that you? You have become a force of nature! And you have a protector’s heart . . . , but something else too . . . I see in your eyes, you hold a great pain." Ness looks at Ash for some time, not saying anything, just observing and being seen to observe, without judgment.

After a time, Ness turns to Autumn. "I can’t help but feel comfortable around you, young lady – as though something in your eyes and your voice says you are a friend to the animals. You’re quite handy with that bow, as well – but you don’t look like one of Valeson’s warriors. Hmm. . . " Ness frowns for a moment. "A goat herder or a shepherd perhaps? I’ve always liked herders. What with ranging out in the fields all day, they leave very little to clean up after, if you take my meaning."

Ness’s gaze falls on the high elf artificer, and his eyebrows rise. "Whoever you are, fair maiden, I feel I must tell you that the vision of perfect beauty has been pulled from its deepest dwelling in my heart and alighted here in front of me in you." Ness bows deeply. "And you are arrayed for battle, and finely at that. But not in the manner of the men-at-arms of our absent Lord. You wear your armaments as if they were made for you, almost as if they were a part of you . . . perhaps made by you?" Again Ness squints in concentration. "Ten, nay, eleven years ago the privy cesspool of smith Arden suddenly began filling at half again its customary rate. I supposed old Arden had perhaps found himself a new wife. But now I think instead I am standing before Mistvale’s new smith." Ness bounces his eyebrows up and down. Clearly, he thinks he is being clever. It’s also fairly obvious that he is a bit smitten with Ria.

"And our industrious friend over here that continues to work away while the rest of us – well me at least – continue to idly jabber and flap their gums away: this must be Bran? What a clever one you are – it’s plain you are working some magic now, well beyond the understanding of the rest of us, intended to protect us further from whatever horror we just faced. Speaking of which, devil-banishing – that’s a thing now, is it? Do you folks do this all the time?"

Ness flinches as Bran’s voice suddenly bellows out at the culmination of his banishment ritual. "Ah, I hope that last bit wasn’t for me. I know I’ve got the horns and all. . . " Ness strums a major chord on his lute and favors Bran with a big toothy smile. Then he hooks a thumb at himself. "But see? Nice guy."

 

 


Last edited by PapaHuck; May 4th, 2022 at 04:27 PM. Reason: put in all the stuff
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old May 4th, 2022, 11:42 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 2,479
Autumn Luwddoc
right-aligned image

Autumn sighed a relief when the demon was finally killed. She lowered her bow when a stranger appeared. Ash looked to attack the new comer, but he stopped. She looked the creature as she listened to him. Goat man? She cocks her head at him, then suddenly her eyes lit up. She remembers the stories. "No, not a goatman...you turned into a satyr!" She then smiles at him with nod. "I was a shepherd. Didn't come to town much, was more at home out in the field and the woods." she shrugged. "And yes, I like animals. I'm a druid half-elven druid now. Glad to meet you."

As everyone get introduced, she watches him, trying to think what satyrs do, she seems to remember that when friendly, the like to party and take advantage of females. Puts them under a spell with his music, she thinks, she couldn't remember. If that was true, she is going to have to be careful.








Autuamn's stats
 
__________________
Took the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old May 5th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 5291
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,726


When Ness introduces himself Gavin takes a closer look at him. He hadn't spent much time around Ness before, well, now that he thinks about it, no one in the village had. Growing up in the tannery, he knew what it was like to be avoided because of the strong odor that clung to him, so he knew what Ness must have gone through as well. As he peers closer, he can still see the man through his new features and he smiles in recognition. "Ness, you seem to have changed just as much as I have. My parents run the tannery and I used to look a lot different. You will remember me as the boy with the limp and bent back."

Gavin looks uncomfortable when Ness praises his performance in the fight. He isn't used to being complimented, especially when he doesn't think he deserves it. He is not happy with how he did in the battle and he is realizing that, even though weapons feel natural in his hands now, that doesn't mean he doesn't need to practice to get better. "Oh, I don't know about anyone being indebted to me," he says, trying not to blush. "We all just did what was necessary and I feel that I could have done much better. Still, the demon is dead and we may have destroyed the last of the rat creatures as well."

Gavin waits for Bran to finish his ritual to ask him about the window, while keeping an eye on Ash. He still seems on edge and Gavin doesn't want the big man to mistake Ness for another enemy. "Bran, do yo think the window is the source of the abomination rats? Even if it's not, I think we should destroy it. Do you think just smashing it with our weapons will work?"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2022, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB