Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Banshee Bride
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 04:38 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30903
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Characters and Player Wishes

Welcome Cast!Hi, friends. Here is the spot for your characters. At the bottom of this post, you will find a box called queries. If I have a query for your character, please add the information when you make your character post, and if you want to keep it to yourself, secret tag it just to me.

Which means: Yes, some characters do have secrets from the other players, so be curious about each other; there are some fun things to unfold!

Also please make a STAT BLOCK and an Action Block for your characters.

Your stat block should contain:
Your name (Linked to your character sheet on DND beyond), class, level, HP, AC
Your passive perception, passive investigation, passive insight
Your spell slots, with current counters.
Spell save DC and spell attack bonus if applicable.
Your modifiers for saving throws.
Any special abilities you have, including a counter for those that need one.

Your Action Block
Combat with 6 players is a lot! You can REALLY help me if you all use the same action block, below, so all the info is in the same order for every player. Just steal the code.

Please use proper spell names and ability names in the block. Don't say "HIS HEAD ASPLODE" say "Cast Mind Sliver," for example. Save the fun and flavor for the post. This block is here PURELY to help me understand what you do in combat. I have ADHD. Make it EASY on me!

You only need to fill the whole thing out in combat, but I LOVE IT when players tell me stuff here OUT of combat such as where the characters move and what their action is. Doing this is an easy way to become a better player---

Ask yourself, if you had to distill your post to a single action, what would it be? If it is "Think about destiny," or "Make a Fart Joke," GREAT, do that, but consider also opening a door, rolling perception or insight, lying to/questioning an NPC, peeking out a window, etc. Think of it this way--You act,The DM the world responds. If you do nothing that requires a response from the world, your section will be very short.

Cast Questions
NUKKY: Has he spent any time in towns or cities or have his interactions with humanoids been limited to travelers through his forest? I want to get a sense of how WILD/Innocent he is before we start.

HLIN: Can the diplomat be the Great great great great etc who even knows granddaughter to make it more plausible that WHAT THE SHOE DOES is lost to time?

Laisren:Can we place his town on the far eastern edge of the fey-addled swamps that infest the southern part of the kingdom to make his backstory make sense in the world where this is set? You guys would be kinda isolated from the rest of Kivalia, and this is your town's destiny and mission. Does this work for you? A-Ru: What is the life span of his kind, and how old is he?

Lacey: The big city where the king lives is Vallos. It is coastal and works with your back story. Okay by you?

Baly: How old is he?

Join RPGX Book Club
Current read: LotR Trilogy

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Aug 14th, 2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 07:30 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35829
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Application
right-aligned image
Image from 'Irish Farmers,' a book of shirtless... well, obviously

Name: Said "LASS-rain"Laisren Gilgan, he/him Character sheet.
Race: Human (with a twist! Built via Tasha custom lineage)
Class: Barbarian (Path of the Beast)
Alignment: Too farm-bred to put a lot of stock in the Lord's Law. Too corn-pone to do anything too naughty.Neutral Good

The question you want to ask the Banshee: "Are Fainweyn and the town doomed with me, or are they doomed without me?"

The "shiny" gift you have for the Banshee and its backstory: "If you set aside the cow, this is the most valuable thing I own. Fainweyn gave it to me. Of course." Rolls up the sleeve of his flimsy peasant's tunic, exposing a golden armband over his left bicep. "This. He says it makes me look 'mighty'" Laisren blushes. "Which is stupid. I think it's an excuse for me to take my shirt off. But. Well. It IS an excuse to take my shirt off. I don't want to give it up. But it's either give this, or that sack of rye we just harvested. And that's not very shiny, yeah?"

Stat block

Question answersYes, that homebase location at the edge of shady and fey-y swamps sounds dandy to me.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Aug 16th, 2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 07:58 PM
Zero Nonsense

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16065
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
A-ru
right-aligned image

Name: A-ru
Race: Marda (+2 Wis, Darkvision, Polearm Master from cultural history of subsistence huntingCustom Lineage)
Class: Beastmaster Survival and Animal HandlingRanger (Shillelagh and Produce FlameDruidic Warrior)
Alignment: NG

My Question: Where are there others of my lineage?

Shiny Gift: A set of diamond-studded goldfronts, taken from the corpse of a vanquished half-orc bandit lord.

Background: Long ago the mad sorcerer-king Ag Tafann created the Marda by transforming captive enemies into small, terrier-like humanoids for the amusement of his children, with the aid of a demon. In time, the Tafann Empire’s collusion with The Abyss led to its collapse, and the 200-strong population of terrier-folk dispersed to small enclaves across the land, some living among humans and others forming their own villages in the wilderness. Over the ensuing centuries most of these communities winked out, lacking the cohesion of a common culture. But the Marda of the Ceartas Enclave, who were descendants of lawful good paladins and clerics, were able to thrive in unity and cooperation, until further invasions and wars forced another diaspora.

A-ru descended from a small, secretive pack of Marda that eked out their subsistence hidden in the Arch Wood, protected from intrusion by superstition about the haunted forest. But one by one his tribemates either emigrated never to return or were lost to wild beasts and disease. One day his territory was overrun in an incursion by the Asalese, a small but aggressive human civilization that claimed Netherese descent. The remainder of the enclave was slain, captured, or scattered and A-ru himself was forced into the service of a cruel baron, who kept the novel Marda close and mistreated him. During a feast night when much of the castle was intoxicated, A-ru escaped and found a life for himself as a servant and then Sailor background: Athletics and Perceptionsailor aboard ships on the Sea of Fallen Stars. During one such adventure he was given a pair of uncommon magic itemwinged boots from the treasury of a Cormyrian captain when his crew helped a stranded vessel that had come under attack by scrags.

After establishing a comfortable amount of resources and a reputation, A-ru returned to a life on land. He fell in with a cabal of druids, who taught him to foster a mystic connection with nature. He helped them fight off an incursion of blights, and eventually learned to summon a primal companion to fight with him. Alongside his spiritual albino mastiff, Sneech, the Marda ranger stalked the woodlands and hills, visiting vengeance upon bullies and brutes and searching for any sign of his kin.

Personality: A-ru is a lonely guy who is used to being alone, being the only known remnant of his lineage. He tends to get lost in his own thoughts, verbalize internal conversations, and talk to plants, animals, and rocks. He is drawn to social gatherings but hesitant to join them despite the many interesting stories he has to offer. It's just a bit draining to have to explain his ancestry to every new person he meets, and the inevitable goo-goo eyes and smitten half-smiles when he walks into a tavern make him want to forget that he is civilized. Trust doesn't come easy, but get a few shots of applejack into A-ru and he does talk, and without the inhibitions that characterize human decorum.

Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. (Chaotic)

Bond: A proud noble once gave me a horrible beating, and I will take my revenge on any bully I encounter.

Flaw:I have trouble trusting in my allies.

Stat Block:
Name: A-Ru
Class: Beastmaster Ranger Level: 3 HP: 28 AC: 17
Attack bonus: Melee: +1, Ranged: +4
Passive Perception: 15 Passive Investigation: 9 Passive Insight: 15
Spells Known: Cantrips: Shillelagh, Produce Flame; Level 1: Speak With Animals (Primal Awareness bonus), Absorb Elements, Entangle, Longstrider
Spell Slots: Level 1: 3
Spell Save DC: 13 Spell Attack Bonus: 5
Saves: STR: 1 DEX: 4 CON: 2 INT: -1 WIS: 3 CHA: 1
Special Abilities: Favored Foe, Primal Companion (Beast of the Land)

Cast Questions
The Marda are descended from magically-cursed humans and share their lifespan. He began adventuring at 16 and is now 19.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Aug 17th, 2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 09:16 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49005
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger

Name Hlin
Race Centaur
Class Bard
Alignment Lawful Neutral
Question for the Banshee Our oracle told us that there is a creature, an adventurer, who will approach the banshee at the same time as one who comes from us. Though this adventurer is unaware, they hold either some information, ability or identity that will save our Herd from an impending doom--who is that?
Shiny Gift A polished horseshoe, once worn by the great Centaur leader, Vrenacla. It is believed by many in the Willow Herd to be magical, but no one has been able to determine its nature.
Background A diplomat and traveler among the centaurs, Hlin has been tasked with sorting relations between the Willow Herd and those creatures and communities around them.
Personality Quiet and contemplative, Hlin is dedicated to fulfilling his missions, including this latest one. Trained by the Herd's former diplomat Melova (great, great, great, great grandmare of the great Vrenacla), he realizes he will never rise to her abilities and achievements--and that, in a sense, gives him a freedom to take risks and to sacrifice, if needed, for others in his group in order to achieve a mission.
Ideal Hlin will follow his task to the end, while exploring the novelty of the world whenever possible.
Bond Any creature or thing aligned in the fulfillment of Hlin's current remit deserves unwavering support. And, of course, always the Willow Herd.
Flaw Hlin truly loves and believes in his Herd, but he has never fully trusted the Herd's Oracle--a skepticism that is practically heretical among his own.
Requested Magic Item The Horseshoe of Vrenacla (whose powers are unknown to player until GM determines and activates/has activated during play)

OOC question
That sounds good to me, the venerable diplomat is a great, great, great, great grandmare of the legendary Vrenecla.

Last edited by bananabadger; Aug 14th, 2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 01:55 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 550
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker
Copy Pasting this, will add edits soon.

Application

Nukky
Kobold Circle of Wildfire Druid (3)

left-aligned image

Background

Nukky was born of a family of forest kobolds, who were part of a larger forest collective in charge of the keepsake of the forest around them. It was a simple time for Nukky, growing up in the peace of the woods with a variety of creatures. One day, a great fire ravaged the forest, along which Nukky's family was a victim of. However, having grown up a forest warden, Nukky had accepted the death of his family as part of the cycle of life in the forest. Fires themselves were part of the natural order of things, and worked to breath new life from its ashes. The young kobold took to this mantra well, communing with the spirits of nature to come to this understanding. With a burnt wooden staff inflected with smoldering lines of fire, Nukky took to the woods as a caretaker.

One evening, Nukky began to hear rumors from vising travelers of a rumor for the ability to speak with the dead when presenting a gift. While Nukky was not devastated by it, he realized he did miss his family. Deep down, he feels like he needed to speak with his family, and let them know he was doing ok. He held one more memento of the Great Fire, a glowing fiery rock. He knew this would make a good present, yes.

Appearance/Personality

This red-scaled kobold is rather cheerful and positive. And yet, beneath his seemingly nave visage, Nukky would be considered wise in terms of understanding the meanings of life and death. He is a curious sort, always searching around the forest for new wondrous acts of nature. He don's a simple tunic and set of leather armor to protect himself, and wields a staff of burnt wood and smoldering ash he calls Firestick as his druidic focus.

Info
Background: Hermit Bonds: Friendly animals of the woods are nice friends to Nukky
Alignment: CG Flaws: Why would people lie to Nukky?
Size: Small Physical: 3'1", 90 lbs
Gift: Hot Shiny Rock Question: "Did Nukky do a good job protecting forest? Nukky misses you all."

Character
Nukky

NotesWanted to create a semi-innocent Kobold character when I learned about Wildfire Druids. I feel that the interplay of the extremely varied ages that Kobolds live with fit well with the description of this particular set of Druids. Making him young and inquisitive to give a different outlook on what death is. The idea is also that in fighting the Great Fire in his past is what led Nukky to grow as a Druid and to become part of the Circle of Wildfire, to the point that the staff Nukky used to use is now burnt and molten as Firestick.

For this, I wanted to make sure if it was ok to use the MPMM version of Kobolds with Draconic Legacy/Draconic Roar instead of Pack Tactics/Grovel.

As a player, I want to have fun roleplaying as an interesting version of a basic druid/healer role with a character that would have a normally different outlook. I like to challenge my creativity in making compelling characters that also serve as a boon to the party.

For my Magic Item, I would like to request a Bag of Holding since Nukky is the type of person who loads up on Goodberries and stores things he finds while walking through the woods.

Nukky as a character is a strange paradox of naive and wise. He understands death as part of life, where things end. And I'd like to think this comes from an innate Kobold idea about how life is fleeting, since they tend to mature very young and die in a myriad of ways. But at the same time, he doesn't really understand the concept of mourning and why people do it. The only thing he has is this space in his mind where he does miss his family, but doesn't quite understand what that familial love manifests as, and what happens when it's gone. This results in a strangely innocent-like child who is pretty resistant to trauma, but has a detached demeanor when it comes to dealing with other people.

This also ties into his own job as a forester, where he's been mostly living on his own since his commune was destroyed in the great forest fire. Nukky does understand the idea of towns and communities since he grew up in one for more than half his life at least, but is just as fine on his own and only really contacting the odd traveler every now and then.

Last edited by BestTeaMaker; Aug 16th, 2022 at 11:25 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 11:20 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27683
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Baly-Ho!
left-aligned image
Name: Balyarus Farfate "Baly" (Pronounced: Bal(like pal) - ee)

Race: Moon Elf

Class: Rogue - Phantom Archtype

Alignment: CG

The question you want to ask the Banshee: Will I live to see my dream of a Thief's empire that I rule realized?

The "shiny" gift you have for the Banshee and its backstory: Silver loop earring he has had all his life.

Background (including how you got to level 3): Baly really loves two things, besides himself of course, and those are wealth (to buy nicer things), and a good fight. He loves a good fight, especially those he can win and doesn't get hurt or wounded, but even those can be fun. He doesn't say much if he doesn't know you, but if he does, you'll hear his opinion and usually with some friendly barbs and comments thrown in.
He doesn't like to talk about his early years much, as he was parted from his family for reasons he won't disclose. But it was around that time that he made a deal with a fickle Deity - The Raven Queen. Praying to her, he gained the "Phantom" abilities he still possesses of recalling skills of those he's slain, as well as the ability to have another "feel" the wounds he causes a foe during a sneak attack. He then began the life of a wanderer, getting by on his skills as a pick pocket and budding smuggler, loving life while still reluctantly praying to The Raven Queen so as to keep the "dark skills" in his possession.
He tells no one of his fear that he will die at the hands of another like him and never realize his dream of ruling over a Thief's paradise. Somehow, he believes the Banshee Bride must know the answer, though he hopes it isn't an adventure into death at the hands of The Raven Queen. That B*tch.

Personality: The best way to get Baly to do something is to tell him he can't do it.
Ideal: He doesn't steal from others in the trade as he's loyal to friends, not ideals. Everyone else can take a long walk off a short pier or very high cliff.
Bond: He has aspirations to become the greatest thief over the greatest thieving empire the realm has ever heard of.
Flaw: If there's a plan, he'll most likely forget it, and if he does remember it, he'll find flaws in it and do his own thing.
Red Cards: None

D&D Bio in Brief: I love surprises and randomness in a game along with the Freedom to RP with other creative minds and storytellers. Rogues are my favorite Class to play, and I've been drooling over gearing up a Phantom Rogue every since Tasha's came out. The freedom to RP a character as written and imagined by me within a storyline of myth and magic is very fulfilling to me in the collaborative setting such as this. I will endeavor to make any game I am in a better one through character words, actions, and deeds.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Aug 19th, 2022 at 02:24 PM.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 01:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 627
Gatarojas Gatarojas Gatarojas Gatarojas Gatarojas Gatarojas
Laceflower's Tale
right-aligned image

Name: Laceflower Undercliff ("call me Lacey")
Race: Halfling
Class: Druid 2 / Rogue 1
Alignment: Neutral
Question for the Banshee: How can I atone for causing the death of my Druid mentor?
Shiny gift : The beautiful chrysoberyl gemstone that caused my mentor's death
Personality: loyal, hardworking,versatile, stubborn, and proud
Ideal: I don't steal from the poor. Well, strictly speaking I shouldn't be stealing from anyone any more but sometimes I still do
Bond: I never want to be the cause of anyone's death again. Unless they deserve it, of course.
Flaw: Did I mention stubborn?

Stats & Actions

Lacey's Backstory

Lacey ran away from her comfortable home at 15 and fell in with thieves. She met a druid who suggested a new path & started training with him. She inadvertently got him killed. Been on the run from the thieves guild ever since.

Full story below (not really a spoiler, just wrapped to reduce the page size. Young Lacey would talk a person's ear off once she gets going).

Cast Questions
Lacey: The big city where the king lives is Vallos. It is coastal and works with your back story. Okay by you?
I've always wanted to see the ocean. And to go to Vallos, too? Yes!

Lacey's Wish
Lacey would be thrilled right down to her curly-haired little toe to see a real dragon in flight. And maybe get close enough to talk to one?

Last edited by Gatarojas; Aug 24th, 2022 at 06:25 AM. Reason: formatting
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 03:40 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30903
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Wish
left-aligned image
Introducing player wishes, stolen conceptually and with X-treme near word-for-word plagiarism from lostcheerio's RIME game where I am a player. As we get rolling, you can use this thread to communicate with me, OOC, about what you're wishing for in this game. It could be a character arc you want to pursue, an item you wish you had, a skill, or anything else. There are no guarantees that your wishes will come true---especially in a one shot where I have limited room and time to maneuver---but knowing what you'd like to pursue will help me create a game that leans into your interests and hopes.

Here's how to wish:
1. Create a post in this thread, and put your wishes in the post, choosing a level of privacy:

In normal text, for all to read, if you want to share
In a Spoilerbutton so people can decide if they want to know.
In secret text that is inside a spoilerbutton just for me, for maximum privacy

You may have some wishes (like items you hope to find, places you'd like to go, etc) that you want to share with the whole team, and you may have some (character growth and goals, worries, things you want to avoid) that you want to keep private. You can do both in the same post.

2. Update that post when your wishes change or come true. If you want to send me a PM to make sure I see it, do! I will check it periodically, but let me know if there's something I should see. I don't want to lose track of anything that's important to you. You may have no wishes at all, and this is a short arc, so that's fine, but in my SALTMARSH game, it's working really well.

Join RPGX Book Club
Current read: LotR Trilogy

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Aug 18th, 2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 10:34 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49005
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Aug 17th, 2022 at 11:38 PM.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 11:20 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 550
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker
Nukky's Wish

TBA