Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Four From Cormyr
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27633
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Adventure OneAdzerak's Home

Malfor does indeed unlock the door, and steps slightly to one side so Zion can open it.
Zion puts his hand on the handle.

The moment he puts any pressure on pulling the door towards him, he feels a tingle through his hand and up his arm slightly.

Something has changed and you all feel it. Something was triggered. You've all felt it before when in the presence of a powerful spell being cast and the air takes on a static feel.

The door doesn't budge, though Zion was certain it felt like it moved ever so slightly.

MAP LINK

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 10:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5304
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Zion Runingblade
right-aligned image

Zion takes the handle and as soon as he pulls, he feels his hand tingle up to his arm, then felt the presence of powerful magic. He quickly yells. "Everyone back!!" The paladin quickly pushes the door close if he can and backs up, holding his shield up in front of him as he turns to see if the others moved away to safety.

Stats

[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 07:46 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8819
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Ibrai
right-aligned image

'Stand aside, friends,' Ibrai announced, his gaze turning to a frown at Zion's warning. Magic hung heavy in the air, something guarding the entrance to what was possibly the final door in this underground abode. Steepling his fingers before him, Ibrai muttered a few words in a rough, grating language, then gently pulled his hands apart. A cloud of glowing golden grains of sand appeared between his cupped hands, which he then gently pushed towards the door.

As the sand hit the door, they begun working their magic, unraveling any enchantments or other magic wards which might've been placed upon the entrance. Ibrai simply watched, hoping the spell would be enough.

Actions
Dice Charisma check:
d20+5 (11)+5 Total = 16

Any spell of 5th level or lower on the door ends immediately. A spell of 6th level or higher ends if its level plus ten is equal to or lower than my roll.

Action: Cast Dispel Magic at the door.
Bonus Action:
Movement:

No action:

Old Aug 6th, 2022, 05:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Zion Runingblade
right-aligned image

Zion slowly backs up when he hears Ibrai. He was about to say something, then just stood aside, letting the warlock do his thing. After all he thought, what better way to fight magic, than with magic.He still kept his shield up, just in case.

Stats

Old Aug 6th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit

Ibrai readies himself and casts 'Dispel Magic' upon the door. The effects used put on quite the show, but do nothing. Ibrai realizes that this has to be an 'Arcane Lock' spell cast at a high level. Given his knowledge of the Arcane, he knows that a 'Knock' spell would suppress the spell for ten minutes.
He also know, as does everyone in the group, that even though a door is locked by arcane means, it can still be beaten or hacked down; it will just take longer than a normal dor.

MAP LINK

Old Aug 6th, 2022, 07:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3933
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Malfor Linsiel
right-aligned image
Malfor watched as the magic stayed despite Ibrai’s best efforts to dispel it. Malfor took a shot at the lock from afar using his mage hand to attempt to disarm the arcane lock on the door. His attempt would have worked on a normal door but the magic also foiled his effort.

”Most Arcane Locks have some sort of password to allow people through. Before we start banging down the door, give me a couple of minutes to try and deduce the password.” The necklace he was wearing glowed as his mind flipped through all he had seen since arriving including all writing and literature they had acquired from the various libraries. His hands waved through the air as various scenes of their exploits portrayed itself in front of him. Then came all the books they had collected with the trickster looking intently at the covers and authors for a clue or pattern. This was one mystery he was very excited to solve.

OOCRolled 20 for thieves tools and 19 for intelligence check to deduce the password to the arcane lock using Necklace of Memory Enhancement. Prestidigitation is for visual effect of Malfor remembering everything.

Stats

Old Aug 7th, 2022, 01:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Zion Runingblade
right-aligned image

Zion nods at Malfor. "Be glad to, busting through a door without knowing the consequences was never my thing, not like my brother who acts first, thinks later." He chuckles softly as he thinks about his brother, wondering what he is up these days.

Stats

Old Aug 7th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics

Malfor realizes that brute force isn't what is required here, though it may work it will take a while and let anything on the other side prepare an adequate defense.
He begins to speak words and phrases that may be passwords, but none work.
A full minute passes and it looks to be hopeless and then Malfor goes quiet. He thinks of what they've seen here so far and remembers a common saying among voracious readers and collectors of books. Could it be that simple?

The phrase that comes to mind is, “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” Malfor speaks the words and the spell ceases and the door opens slightly, though not enough to see inside.

MAP LINK

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 09:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Zion Runingblade
right-aligned image

Zion sees the door opening only slightly. He shakes his head, draws his sword slowly, then hefts his shield with his other hand as he approaches the door. He turns to look at the others, and once they are ready, he uses his shield and pushed the door open...

Stats

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 09:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3933
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Malfor Linsiel
right-aligned image
Malfor readied his rapier as Zion opened the door. Was there a lich on the other side? Who knows with that level of abjuration magic placed on the door. It was only by luck and a keen memory from the necklace that he was even able to figure out the password. No doubt there would be more traps on the other side. He’s honestly surprised that they haven’t ran into a bookcase that was actually a giant mimic yet.

Stats

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Adventure One

Adzerak's Home

The door opens fully to reveal what is inside.

This square room is brightly lit with two magical lanterns. The air smells of ancient leather, old paper, and bodily decay. A simple wooden table stands in the center of the room, and an ornate, cushioned chair is next to it on the side of the table opposite the door. An odd figure in tattered, rotting robes of purple sits in the chair, cradling a large book to its breast and rocking back and forth, muttering, “. . . books . . . my books . . . all mine . . .” as if reciting some litany.

The figure’s face is partially rotted, and only a few strands of greenish-gray hair cling to the head. It has one eyeball in its head, and this eye stares, unblinking, off into space. Books are everywhere throughout the room, placed in numerous disarrayed stacks that tower to the ceiling.

The figure takes a few seconds to register your presence. "One of my eyes fell out", it croaks in a voice that crackles like burning paper.

A wave of unnatural cold touches you. 'Now I can only read books half as fast as I could when . . . when . . .

The figure halts in mid-sentence, as if it cannot remember what it was going to say. Suddenly its rotting features harden; its jaw clenches, and its teeth grind together. "Thieves! You are here to steal my books, eh?"

Through all of this, the figure still has not let go of the book. Nor has it risen or made any other movements.

MAP LINK

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Aug 16th, 2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 06:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Zion Runingblade
right-aligned image

As the door opens, Zion readies himself for anything. As he opens the door all the way, he sees the room and scans the area, a corpse sits at the table. Wait, the corpse is moving! The paladin was about to launch an attack, no undead is ever good, but when the creature speaks, but doesn't move, he slowly takes one step forward.

He bows his head and looks at the creature once again before he spoke. "No sir, we have not come to take or steal anything. We have come across a letter of a dead person, so we came here to his home to see if he had any family. May I ask what happened to you?" Zion had spoke with concern and his voiced showed it.

Stats

Last edited by Seekr34; Aug 23rd, 2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8819
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Ibrai
right-aligned image

Ibrai's eyes widen at the grisly sight within the chamber. The dessicated, rotting husk frightened him more than the undead they had come across in the hall. Those had been naught but bone and tissue, animated through magic. But this... This creature was still possessed of a mind. Involuntarily, the warlock brought his hand to a nearby wall for support- contemplating the creature's fate, to have his mind trapped in a putrescent, failing body, had him weak in the knees.

But Zion spoke with the undead sitting in the chair, lending the creature some sort of humanity despite its mad ramblings. It... Normalized the circumstance, somewhat, and as a result Ibrai felt the fear lift from his heart, if only a little. Now, however, he was more concerned with the creature's accusation- for he was indeed carrying one of the scholar's tomes with him. Smiling, Ibrai tried to present his case in a more favorable light.

'Your books?' he asked, folding his hands before him, giving the undead a polite bow. 'Come now, friend. This place, it is dedicated to Deneir, is it not? What would He have to say about the hoarding of knowledge for oneself, hmm? Would He not rather see knowledge shared among all? Obviously, we would never keep such a treasure trove of knowledge for ourselves. But dont you agree, it deserves to be shared? After all,' he laughed, spreading his hands. 'What good is knowledge if it is not spread among all those who would wish to learn?'

Actions

Action:
Bonus Action:
Movement:

No action:

Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 01:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Adventure One

Adzerak's Home

Adzerak reacts to Zion's words as if he barely heard them. He waves his hand in a gesture and speaks a word in some Arcane language that indicates "wall."

Immediately a five foot thick opaque wall—a shimmering, multicolored plane of light appears in between Azderak and all of you. He begins scooping up other books in the room as Ibrai speaks and he slowly turns as Ibrai finishes.

He takes on an amazed expression as if a hidden niche in his memory opens up.

He speaks as if he is remembering something long ago, telling a tale of eons past. " Yes. Yes... I was a worshiper of Deneir. I am... home. This is my home. I built a room, entirely devoted to.. to... Denier. It took me a long time; a very, very long time. I was dying, but I had to live and complete it. I... Wait. You. All of you. I implore you to help. Help me carry all the books to the shrine that I created. Denier must have them. Will you help? Will you? There is... another room with books, yes. That one as well, all need to go to the shrine."

He pauses and slips the eye back into the socket that was about to slip out as he seems to be waiting for an answer.

MAP LINK

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Aug 23rd, 2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 05:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Zion Runingblade
right-aligned image

Normally, Zion wouldn't bother with the undead, he would either destroy them or send them off to their peace. However, this one is different, obviously not a zombie, even as other intelligent undead, this one was acting like a live person. Helping move books doesn't seem a big deal, maybe they might learn something. The being seems to connect with Ibrai. If this being lives here, then what about the other man with the note. Note may be made up, hmm. Better to learn what they are getting themselves into, especially when the other group maybe outside waiting for them. Besides, Denier was a scribe god or something, collecting information, not an evil god. "I'll be glad to help my friend."

Stats