Game Thread Ch. 9: The Engine of the World - Page 10 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Rime of the Frostmaiden
twitter facebook facebook
0 3 7 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 03:16 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 35904
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 9,422
In the Sage's House
right-aligned image
"Side door?" says Idrisial vaguely. He looks around this foyer. "Side door? In the side of-- to the tavern -- does Violet have a house? I wonder--"

Just then, Violet Starling bursts through a side door. "Oh thank the merciful gods you have returned, professor! Kimball said, well never mind, it doesn't matter now, because--" Her hair is standing up, her robes are in disarray, she's got one arm through a parka and is clutching a fur hat. She turns to look at you. "Tru! Falfen! Ziusudra! I -- I can't believe my eyes for the second time today. You're here, and you've -- you've ended the Rime! It's all so wonderful, and we must discuss it, really soon, at length, but right now --"

Idrisial is now peering out a window toward the sun. He grabs the frame and tries to lift it.

"NO!" Violet shrieks, "Don't open that, don't look out there, just come away from the window, there you are!" You see her reach out to grab his arm, and then stop and continue, "Please, sir, there's a situation rather in development outside just now." She grins apologetically at you. "Ah, your toil and troubles are not quite over with the dawn, it seems. At least I hope you will help us. I was just on my way out the door to lend my--"

You hear a bang, and some screaming, outside. You hear a voice cry out, "You'll never take us all down. Your tyranny is over, and your goddess is broken!"

"Bit of an insurrection," says Violet. "Bit of a rising up, as they say. When the sun came out, they were just so happy, there was some dancing, and that turned into marching, and now they're bent on evicting Auril's clerics. They've been with us for months, you know, just keeping an eye, making sure we're not giving up less than our due. There's no temple here, you see. Except now we have a cleric! A very revolutionary one -- I think you know him actually! A cleric of Sarenrae? We've talked so much about you."

Another big bang and more screaming. Then a boom and a crashing splintering sound.

"Yeah, I don't think I want to scout on my own," says Moxie.

Idrisial Ilbaros rips open the door and shouts, "What the hell is all this racket?!"

OOCAfter the last round I wasn't quite sure where everyone was. You can still leave the way you came, or go find the tavern, but I didn't really know where to place you beyond Falfen and Tru being in this room and Ziusudra being back in the clearing, ready to leave.

Vislands, the same offer I said in my last post still stands -- if you want to have him not have come with the rest, you can indicate where he stopped following and where he went.

Fillyjonk, please roll Deception. I haven't made you roll so far because Idrisial is just not that clued into people or reality, so deceiving him was pretty easy.
__________________
¸.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.,(__The Blazing-World by the Duchess of Newcastle, Margaret Cavendish__)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸
The first sci-fi novel ever, written by a thrice-noble, illustrious and excellent princess (just ask her!) in 1666.
Never heard of it? Come discuss at the RPGX Book Club!

Last edited by lostcheerio; Oct 13th, 2022 at 03:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 05:28 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is online now
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 32283
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 10,898
RAWR
right-aligned image
Throwback Thursday Tru drawing Circa when we first met Violet
She tries to talk to Violet, in between the bursts of excited gabbling: The Rime is still happening. There’s an edge, not far that way, where the sun stops and the goddess rages, and anyway we---

Now Violet is trying to get Idrisial away from the windows. Is she listening? Who knows.

Tru is so happy to see her, though, so stalwart and vigorous, with her fly-away hair and flailing pipe-cleaner limbs. She wants to hug her, but she'd have to catch her first. She tries to tamp down her friend’s volume, though.

Violet, stop saying we did this. Say, Macreadus. It was Macreadus’s device, you understand? And anyway, the Rime is still----it’s not even a mile, that way--

She is trying to telegraph to Violet that of course it was this group that made whatever mess this is, but to please stop announcing it. But it's hard to get this across, what with the "Bit of Rising Up" that’s happening.

And it hardly matters, because the next thing Violet says is that the the town is already up in arms against the Owl Faces. She came assuming they would have their beaks clamped down on the town. She planned to to be meek and lie and wonder at the amazing magic Macreadus, and then maybe --- invite 'em to lunch. Easthaven-style.

Turns out, Joachim Ringlenatz, that pious, holy cleric of her own beautiful Dawn Flower (Snort! This incorrigible dwarf!) has gotten a jump on sedition. Oh, you don’t say? This dwarf she met in a prison, where he was waiting with Dash to be burned to death for rabble rousing, has come here and roused rabble?

She doesn’t mind this offense. This is an excellent offense. She, in fact, loves this offense, and if Ringlenatz is recommitting here, well—she wants in.

When the boom happens and Idrisial opens the door, she is already zinging her moon sickle off her belt and running outside, barefoot, her boots tied together by the strings and bouncing on her shoulders, her goggles up. She yells at Falfen, You coming, Storm?

She calls Fire to her fingertips and zips toward the noise, her spell cocked.


 


 
__________________
New here? Come play a NEW PLAYER SOLO GAME

Join RPGX Book Club

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Oct 13th, 2022 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 04:00 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Blue Mage
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 16258
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 4,342
Zius followed Tru along with the others, moving surreptitiously into the newly sun-bathed township, finding the tavern and soon Violet, their old friend, excited and agitated within it. He bowed slightly at the waist in greeting, smiling that soft smile that came more easily to his lips now and listened intently as the young scientist informed her mentor of what was going on.

"The clerics of Auril are dangerous," he said, his expression darkening as his memory returned to their confrontation with the Frostmaiden's agent in Easthaven. A confrontation he only barely survived. If the protests turned violent, it could be a massacre for the average citizens who bravely sought to oust their oppressors. This could not be allowed to happen.

He slipped out the door even as Tru drew her moon sickle. He sped through the streets, his foots pattering into the melting snow, taking him towards the center of the commotion, then veering to the side in an attempt to weave through the side alleyways, where he slowed, invoked the Teaching-Assassins' guidance, and approached
Dice Stealth:
1d20+7 (16)+7 Total = 23
1d4t 3 Running Total = 26
more cautiously. He sought to find his way to some sort of flanking position, away from the mass of the protests and in a position to
Dice Perception:
1d20+9 (3)+9 Total = 12
observe and strike the clerics from an unexpected angle possible.


OOC
 
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 09:01 PM
Atrayn's Avatar
Atrayn Atrayn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 1st, 2022
RPXP: 15499
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
Posts: 4,431
left-aligned image
Any hope of an inconspicuous tour of the town dissipates for Falfen as the sounds of fighting and uprising come crashing into Idrisial's workshop. Tru darts ahead, sickle brandished and fire crackling on her fingertips and Zius bleeds into the shadows. Falfen knows he will be supporting, and so he lets a crackle of lightning play over his fingertips and turns to Moxie before rushing out the door after Tru.

"I don't think you'll want to be by yourself either. If you feel safer in here with Idrisial, then bar the door after me and help him keep the place safe. But if you feel better rushing out there with us, then by all means, wind your crossbow and come along. The townspeople are the good ones, and any clerics wearing owl-masks? Not good. Now you're caught up." He lets loose a cry and rushes out the door after Tru, a whip of lightning snapping out of his hand.


 


 
__________________
Currently playing in Rime of the Frostmaiden and Hoard of the Dragon Queen DMing the New Player Solo Game and Rise of the Drow
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 01:37 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 35904
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 9,422
Out the Door and Into the Square
right-aligned image
Ziusudra, you want to slip away and come around from the side of the conflict undetected, so Violet sends you out with a researcher, Alphon, who guides you back the way you came, out a door into the wood, and north through the woods to the tavern. Alphon is young, tense, and silent, motioning to you with hand gestures and flicks of his animated eyebrows. You can hear the shouts and bangs coming from the conflict as you skirt around it, and then Alphon is beckoning you into a rough and comfortable looking building, cozy enough when you enter, though empty of customers. The tavern's sign creaking is louder than your footfalls, collectively, as you trot through the warming snow and throw the door. The name on the sign: The Lucky Liar.

The bartender slants her eyes over at you when you enter, sizing you up and down. She's tall, with raven ponytails, a fierce jaw. She's threading chunks of meat onto a skewer as she regards you.

"Alphon," she says, greeting him. "And you," she says, greeting you. "Well, you're a little late. She's already gone. But she left something for you. Mind staying a moment, while I get it?"

***

Back in the laboratory, Violet is barely listening as she pulls on her parka the rest of the way, blows on her palms and rubs her hands together, sparking a little magic as a warm-up.

"Professor, do go on to the basement," she says to Ilbaros. "We've got to get out there. Tru says the Rime is only a mile away. And we must say: Macreadus. Macreadus!" She looks at you plaintively. "I am sure all will be explained in due time, why we must do this, and why the Rime has gone a mile away from us. But also, all will be dead in that same due time, so we must away."

"Macreadus, Macreadus?" Ilbaros tests out the words, not quite understanding. "But I know him. Self-aggrandizing bastard. If he ended the Rime he'd be here trying to make us bow down over it. Or something."

"Just say it! Macreadus Macreadus!" she snaps.

He leaves the foyer obediently, gathering a few researchers around him. She flings herself out through the door, hands already raised to throw a spell, and you follow with Moxie.

Falfen, here's what you see. A sunny, snowy scene. An irregular town square, with this laboratory's front door facing it, and a few other buildings too. In front of you toward the lake, you see what looks like it had been a school, but it has had the words SARENRAE DAWNFLOWER TEMPLE painted over the door in red paint, with AND ARSENAL added in a hastier script in coal. There's a Hin woman standing out in front of this school, and she's got her fist raised in defiance. She's injured, and wavering. You see a scalded spot in the ground in front of her, the scars of magical radiance. She's got ice over half her face, and the other half is pink and fraught. All around there are villagers: woodsmen and fisherwomen, cooks and carpenters. They're advancing, slowly but boldly. You can also see some loose axebeaks that look vaguely familiar, and some fallen folks in parkas on the ground.

left-aligned image
Tru, there is a dwarf out in front of this school slash temple too, wearing priestly robes. His head is bare, his hair pulled back with twine, and he's injured, burned down half of his face. When you spill out into the snow -- you, Falfen, Violet, Moxie -- he turns and catches your eye immediately. Beyond him lurks a malevolent someone in brown robes and an owl face mask. That thing's hand is up in a threatening posture. But Ringelnatz grins at you, lopsided, pained, and winks. Look at this thing I've got up to, he seems to say. Check out your lad, I'm in the middle of a real situation. Coming in?

"There are too many of us!" shrieks the Hin woman through a cough. "You can't kill us all. We will take you down, and drag you out of this town by your feathers!"

Even as she shrieks this, you see these silent clerics bulge and twist, as three white owls emerge from each one and circle around them.

"We can kill you all," sounds a deep voice. "If that's what you wish? And we will?" Difficult to tell which one was speaking. But not difficult to interpret a hint of doubt in the dour pronouncement, perhaps a result of the bright summer sun. Just a note of upswing on the last word. Uncertainty. Fear. "But then who will protect you from the mad druids? Who will protect you from the White Moose?"

"The Dawnflower, that's who!" belts out Joachim Ringelnatz, "you dumb bird!"

OOCVislands, I'm interpreting things here as best I can. There's no way you would slip out that same door unobtrusively, and you mentioned being in the tavern, so I put you there, and we can say that happened last "turn." You can keep that great stealth roll when you enter the scene, which you can do, out the back of the tavern. Hoping this will suffice for his plan to sneak up. You can get into position wherever you like, and be hidden.

Fillyjonk and Atrayn, Tru and Falfen would see the owlface near the stable without moving, but wouldn't see the other two unless they move forward some. You can both go now, since you both had actions readied.

This is a massive battle map that's just the whole town map. I tried to make it smaller but kept expanding it to include this and that, until I finally just decided to use the map in the book. Here it is on Owlbear Rodeo. I'm hoping my laptop keeps it fresh! And here are a couple of screenshots that may or may not make sense:





__________________
¸.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.,(__The Blazing-World by the Duchess of Newcastle, Margaret Cavendish__)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸
The first sci-fi novel ever, written by a thrice-noble, illustrious and excellent princess (just ask her!) in 1666.
Never heard of it? Come discuss at the RPGX Book Club!
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 05:41 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is online now
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 32283
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 10,898
OWL FACE!
left-aligned image
The Owl Face is not her quarry. She believes Malcolm Malor is in Easthaven. But this blatting bird threatening town-icide belongs to Malor, to Auril. Close enough.

Tru runs toward them, feet bare, sun in her curls, heart on fire. This is the girl who brought her little stick down on the head of Speaker Danneth Waylan as he lolled unconscious and who has yet to feel a drop of sorrow or repentance for it. Her review of her part in the Easthaven bloodbath-slash-lunch would read, in fact: A++++ head smash. Would smash again.

Is she coming in?! Ha! Fire is already bursting from her fingers, zinging so close between the brave Hin who is mouthing off and Brom that she sees his hair ruffle. She loves this spicy Hin woman, immediately. She loves the Temple/Armory. The devotee of another god, for example the kind but lawful Yondalla, might find Brom’s “temple” blasphemy-adjacent. But for Tru? It’s an homage, a call-back, a hilarity, a sweetness.

You better take that kind Hin’s offer to be dragged out by the feathers, you beaked ****, Tru hollers. Because I’m here to burn you to the bone and let the wind blow you out of Lonelywood as ashes! Then I’ll eat the Moose and saddle up the druid-wolves and ride. Or maybe vicey-versey.

Bold words (because Ravisin is mighty and the what Moose, what?) , but then again, she only sees the one, and Falfen is with her, and Violet, and this chuffy pink-pantsed Tiefling, and she trusts Zuis will find them soon. Her beloved Osco-dog is rising up out of the swirling magma deep under the earth, waiting for her summon. She has just one more thing to say before she calls his name:

Father Ringlenatz! Where the hells did you find priest robes with a V neck?

 


 


__________________
New here? Come play a NEW PLAYER SOLO GAME

Join RPGX Book Club

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Oct 18th, 2022 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 06:56 PM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Blue Mage
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 16258
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 4,342
Ziusudra followed the researched assistant out the back and through a quick winding path that took them into the backside of another building, a tavern, where the bartender greeted first his guide and then him, as though she knew and had been expecting him. And had something that someone, a she, had left for him.

It caught him off-guard, but he gave a small bow of greeting, his eyes flicking towards the front door and where he knew his comrades would be confronting the priests of the Frostmaiden sooner rather than later. He was loathe to waste even a second, but he was not one to turn away from Fate and clearly his path had let them here. "I will wait, but be swift I beg. I must be away as soon as I can, for lives are in the balance."


OOC
 
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 08:07 PM
Atrayn's Avatar
Atrayn Atrayn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 1st, 2022
RPXP: 15499
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
Posts: 4,431
left-aligned image
A bolt of fire rips from Tru's hands, sizzling into one of the owlface clerics, and Falfen knows the time to act is upon him. He rushes forward, backing his companion, calling to Moxie, "Cover us, sharp Rose!"

Unfortunately, the magic crackling around Falfen's arm doesn't have quite the same range as Tru, so instead, he rushes forward towards the temple, focusing on any clerics of Auril he can see now. He stops ten feet behind the brave Hin and locks eyes with one the clerics, letting his reading lightning lure flash out around him, cracking it to the ground. "They will stop you here, and we will help," he cries. "Do not be foolish. Run while you can back to your frozen goddess. Lonelywood will have no more of you here."

 


 
__________________
Currently playing in Rime of the Frostmaiden and Hoard of the Dragon Queen DMing the New Player Solo Game and Rise of the Drow
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 02:37 AM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 35904
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 9,422
At The Lonely Liar
right-aligned image
Ziusudra, the bartender does not hurry. She keeps her half-closed eyes on you as she saunters out through a door at the back of the bar. Alphon grins at you nervously, unbuttoning a cuff and then concentrating hard on buttoning it up again, so he doesn't meet your eye. "She's... she'll be right back I'm sure. I'm sure she's hurrying," he says, and turns to scrub at an invisible stain on one of the wooden tables with his fingernail. But she's not hurrying. When she comes back, the woman is walking just as slowly, and holding a very small box. She sets it down on the table in front of you and stays there, near you, looking you over, chewing on something.

"She described you down to the tilt of your eyebrow," she drawls. "And she said you would know what to do with this. Left here a little while after the lights came on." The bartender leaves her hand on the table next to the box, palm up. "You want to hear all about it?"

While this particular box is unfamiliar to you, you know the type. This is a puzzle box, and it was made in Zakhara.


Uprising in Lonelywood
right-aligned image
Inscrutable. That's what this cleric is behind his mask of owlish features. White feathers, empty eyes, a hand extends as he takes a step up, up, impossibly rising into the air as if climbing a staircase, each step leaving an icy footprint in the air with a spreading crackle of ice, as if he steps on the moisture in the air, freezing it with his foot. His owls bank and curve around him, but that's when Tru's firebolt hits. He trips down a few icy steps, and the owls dissipate into a mess of feathers and frost. Inscrutable still, his mask shows no dismay or uncertainty. He turns on the rebels standing nearest to him, and with a twist of his head and a clap of thunder, he knocks them to the ground.

Moxie chirps, "You bet your ass I'll cover you," and pulling out her crossbow and winding a bolt, she trots over behind one of the buildings, her slick pants whispering as she runs. She's looking to come around through the trees and in from the other side. Almost immediately after she disappears behind the building, you hear her cry, "If these bird guys are the bad guys, well, there's another one over here!" and the crossbow goes off.

Falfen, you run toward the defiant Hin and shoot off your lash of lightning. Though you didn't see a target near enough to feel it when you were running up, you now see a cleric come stalking out from behind the building where Moxie went. You send the lash to meet him there, and it's followed on by a thrust of thunder from the dwarf Ringelnatz that blows this cleric to his knees. The owls dart and swirl around him, striking out and grabbing the angry villagers with their icy talons, giving them a shake,and dropping them down to the melting snow. "Well s***!" snaps Violet, "That's not quite fair, is it?!" and she fires off three arcane orbs at him, lavender and luminous in the sun. As each one lands, one of the cruel owls fades from sight, and when they're gone, another few villagers rush forward to try and bring him down.

left-aligned image
Tru, Ringelnatz bends back his bloody head, watching your bolt go soaring over him to sizzle into the cleric who is standing in the air. As you trumpet out your taunts, a fierce one to your foes and a funny one to your friend, he bellows back in a very unliturgical fashion, "Ingetrude Frostblossom, slinging fire and bringing the ire! Welcome to Lonelywood, where the Rime is dyin' and the clerics are cryin'!" You feel yourself brimming with a certain brand of confidence that only the approbation of this particular dwarf can inspire. His words raise the spirits of all the villagers around you too, who lift their voices to cheer. But two more clerics emerge from the trees to your left. Ringelnatz and Falfen knock the hell out of one of them, but you hear the deep rasping voice of the other one say to the brave Hin, "Enough of your nonsense, worm. Bow before your doom." He stretches out a feathered hand to her, ice creeping out of it and wrapping around her throat. She struggles for a few seconds before going stiff and cold in this deadly grip. He turns his owl face to the other villagers, and to Joachim. "Your uprising will fail. Your leader is mine, and she will march with our army. Know your masters now, or you will go with her. There is room in the Frostmaiden's Rime for many icy corpses. Join her, and you may all go walking as Auril bids you."

"You'll never take her," growls Ringelnatz, reaching out to catch the Hin as she falls senseless from the cleric's claws.

OOCFillyjonk, Tru has Bardic Inspiration from Ringelnatz, a d6.
Vislands, you can roll an Intelligence check to open the puzzle box if you'd like to try now.
Atrayn, Falfen and Moxie used their actions to Dash. I think that was your intent, if you wanted to get within 10 feet of the Hin leader. So both of them did attacks as flavor but now you're right in there.
NameHealthACDamageConditionsConcentrating
Falfen21/3414   
Joachim20/2713-7  
Moxie16/1612   
Tru38/3818   
Violet6/612   
Ziusudra32/3216   
DuncanHurt18-11  
HughVery Hurt18-7 -12  
SimonHurt18-1215 feet up in the airSpirit Guardians

Here is the map on Owlbear and here is a screenshot:

__________________
¸.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.,(__The Blazing-World by the Duchess of Newcastle, Margaret Cavendish__)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸
The first sci-fi novel ever, written by a thrice-noble, illustrious and excellent princess (just ask her!) in 1666.
Never heard of it? Come discuss at the RPGX Book Club!

Last edited by lostcheerio; Oct 27th, 2022 at 02:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Atrayn's Avatar
Atrayn Atrayn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 1st, 2022
RPXP: 15499
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
Posts: 4,431
left-aligned image
Falfen roars out as the little Hin falls to the ground, cold and staring. "Auril's Rime is an abomination and you are not the masters here. Lonelywood does not belong to her or you! And your goddess' power is not the only power at work here!" Enraged, he points to the cleric in the air and snow whips around him as he rises five feet into the air, ice crystals and wind swirling around his feet. He thrusts his finger forward and a cloud of dagger-like, frosty blades swirl around this owl-face, slashing into him.


 


 
__________________
Currently playing in Rime of the Frostmaiden and Hoard of the Dragon Queen DMing the New Player Solo Game and Rise of the Drow

Last edited by Atrayn; Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 12:10 AM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is online now
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 32283
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 10,898
Owlfaces
left-aligned image
She likes how he pronounces her whole name. Just, the way he says it. Or maybe she is simply giddy. Sunshine, bare feet finding earth beneath the melting snow, friends who have her back, Joachim slinging rhymes, her slinging fire. It’s good.

She calls to him, Watch your mouth, Father. Poetry is dangerous. I’ve heard tell it can lead to dancing. Oh, she’s saucy, Right up until they lay down the civilians and the valiant, yelling lady falls so cold and lifeless.

Tru doesn’t know this older woman, of course, but she struck Tru so very Hin, and not the officious kind, either. Her heart stutters, but only briefly. Brom has her----oh, his poor face, she is going to kill all these ****ers twice---Brom has caught the lady up, and she trusts him.

She keeps running toward the fight, eyes narrowing as her gaze shifts to the Owlface nearest. She says her favorite name: Osco! Osco! He comes boiling up ahead of her in a burst of magma that splashes Hugh. Dawnflower, how she hopes it hurts.

You worried me, Spaz, he says into her brain. I don’t like to see your bones, my girl.

She says back, mind to mind, Well, then, help me kill these turds before they freeze the flesh right off me. Just for a change from having it blasted clean away.

He laughs in that familiar merry way. It doesn't belong to her dog, this laugh, but he always evokes it for her anyway, and it feels like a promise from her god that she will one day hear that laugh again, ringing through the world.

Osco knows what she wants. He spits his little seeds in a ratta-tat stream, aiming for Hugh.

 


 
__________________
New here? Come play a NEW PLAYER SOLO GAME

Join RPGX Book Club

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Oct 28th, 2022 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Blue Mage
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 16258
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 4,342
Ziusudra looked at the small box sitting on the countertop for a long moment, like a piece of a painting that you did not expect to see, a dash of color added in the background that did not fit. It was Zakharan, that he knew instantly. But who had left it here for him? What woman? He ached to ask more questions, to attempt to open it, but his duties to his comrades pulled at him and he imagined the sounds of battle not far off.

He slid a gold piece onto the counter and thanked the woman with a bow of his head. "I would be pleased to hear more of who left this for you on my return." Before he turned and dashed from the room and behind the buildings and towards the crowd where violence waited.


OOC
 
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 04:32 PM
lostcheerio's Avatar
lostcheerio lostcheerio is offline
Swords, not words!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 35904
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Posts: 9,422
Uprising in Lonelywood
right-aligned image
Ziusudra, the bartender drops a casual "sure" with a shrug of disinterest, drags the gold coin toward her with one finger, and goes back to skewering meat. You scoop up the puzzle box and dash away toward whatever uproar she is belligerently ignoring. Out in the sunshine, running at top speed, you cross between buildings, boots lightly crunching into melting snow. Alphon drops to your heels and then drops a few feet back, and ducks onto a porch, sinking behind the railing with an apology. As you come around the corner of the building, you can see the scene unfolding with one of Auril's clerics menacing some townsfolk, and more relentless townsfolk coming out of their homes to stand up against Auril. He cocks his birdish head to look toward you and you see the black eyes snap while another boom of thunder rips through the air, and two more villagers and a loose axebeak fall to the ground, shattered.

Falfen, no sooner has the cleric put the frozen Hin on the ground than you rise to the storm. Your cloud of icy daggers churns the air around this lofted cleric, turning the air around him into a cloud of burlap, feathers, and blood. Unable to hold onto his position in the air, he falters and drops to the ground, right next to the spot where a crossbow bolt thuds into the snow. "F*** me," says Moxie, and through the flurry of wings you see a dash of pink as she crosses to a new spot behind a tree. He crawls forward toward you, growling an unholy prayer. The owls that swirl around him tear into you and Joachim Ringelnatz. The dwarf is bent over, dragging the frozen body back to the porch, but he stands with you as you try to block the owls from your face. "G**dammit!" you hear Moxie yell, "I'm coming!" The owls are relentless, and they drive the dwarf beside you to his knees. Hard to see what becomes of him when you're fighting against their pummeling wings and talons yourself!

Tru, the villagers rushing in to tackle the cleric skid to a stop as a ball of fire blooms in front of them and all around him. Osco! Triumphantly the fiery wolf emerges from the snow, bright hot light sizzling all the melting slush around him in a powerful blast! The cleric drags his robe around him and crouches, deflecting the blaze, and then bats the flaming seeds away with a swoop of his ragged hem. You hear Violet's voice from behind you, with a high, flowery incantation, and fire blooms under the cleric again, but he rolls away. "Drat!" complains the wizard. "He just won't burn!" But instead of standing to assaut you, this robed figure begins to crumple and fade, and sink into the slush. The villagers again rush forward to grab the brown robes, but there's nothing inside but a corpse. Over by the door of the temple, the other cleric stands taller, stronger, shaking off the damage from Falfen's icy razors. His swarm of owls assaults Joachim Ringelnatz and Falfen. You see the dwarf drop and maybe the storm boy too.

Now the cleric bends over the fallen dwarf. The little Hin's frozen arm is still in his grip, as he refused to let her go, even when fighting off the owls.

"I said she's mine," says the harsh dark voice of the cleric. Blue light arcs from the outstretched taloned hand, directly into the dwarf's unconscious body, animating it horribly as it arcs and bucks with electricity. As he holds the bolt of energy on the torn body of Joachim Ringelnatz, the cleric reaches the other hand down to pick up the body of the Hin. "Come to meet your mistress," he says, quietly enough for only Falfen to hear. Then he stands to his full height, his voice loud in the square. "This temple is a woodsman's shack. Your gods have all forsaken you but one. This is the Frostmaiden's land now. And all who refuse her will SUFFER."

OOCFilly, Hugh saved against the BAMF damage, but Osco is in play now.

Atrayn, Cloud of Daggers isn't *quite* that good -- the damage comes on the creature's turn, not when the spell is cast. Please make a DC 15 Wisdom save for Falfen, against Simon's owls. On a save, take 12 points of damage. If you fail, he takes 24 points and is down.

Vislands, the cleric wouldn't be able to see you from your current position and he's not registering that you're there, but I wanted to let Ziusudra see the situation, and if you need to smudge the movement a bit this round, to get where you need to be, go ahead.

NameHealthACDamageConditionsConcentrating
Falfen0 or 9, depending on save/3414-24 or -12, depending on save  
Joachim0/2713-7 -24 -20  
Moxie16/1612   
Osco19/1913   
Tru38/3818   
Violet6/612   
Ziusudra32/3216   
DuncanHurt18-11  
HughDead18-7 -12 -21  
SimonHealthy18-12 -14 +21 Spirit Guardians

Map on Owlbear. Map on Imgur.

__________________
¸.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.,(__The Blazing-World by the Duchess of Newcastle, Margaret Cavendish__)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸
The first sci-fi novel ever, written by a thrice-noble, illustrious and excellent princess (just ask her!) in 1666.
Never heard of it? Come discuss at the RPGX Book Club!

Last edited by lostcheerio; Oct 30th, 2022 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 10:05 PM
Atrayn's Avatar
Atrayn Atrayn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 1st, 2022
RPXP: 15499
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
Posts: 4,431
left-aligned image
Falfen bats at one of the dark owls as it rakes his face, his jaw dropping. How can this owl-face still be on his feet. He grimaces, but spits at the feet of the cleric as the owls overcome him. "Your lunatic of a goddess will never be my mistress," he gets out as the owls swarm even more deeply over him. He holds the gaze of the cleric until he blacks out.

Somewhere in a different dimension near SeattleThe All-Father Crawfordicus puts his arm around Hleid, clucking sadly. "He's promising, Hleid, but he doesn't seem to have a good sense of how your wild magic works yet. Perhaps if he makes it through this, a little tutorial on some of his powers might be in order from you to him?"

The goddess sighs. "He's like a puppy. Get them out of their shell and they tear around messing things up until they learn. Guess we'll see." She takes a handful of popcorn from the bag offered to her by Crawfordicus and they sit back in their deep office chairs, watching intently.


 


 
__________________
Currently playing in Rime of the Frostmaiden and Hoard of the Dragon Queen DMing the New Player Solo Game and Rise of the Drow
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 06:47 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is online now
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 32283
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 10,898
In Which it is REAL BAD AND DIRE!
left-aligned image
They kill them. They just kill them. Regular people, being so brave, and they also kill whatever dumb sweet bird that was. Maybe her bird. Maybe Utter Bustard, and all those nice, important, unrepeatable people, being brave, are snuffed and shattered like Osco was, like they don’t matter, like they aren’t the most important heartbeat in all the world to someone.

She will not forgive this. She cannot. These Owls are now every Owl. She’ll kill them all, forever, hunt them down even when they are old and frail and sorry. Even if they go to her warm god, recant, and beg forgiveness. Sarenrae can shrive them. She will not. She will hunt them even if she’s in a walker and send them to that other one who has a hook in her. He will keep them cold enough, now won’t he. There is no coming back from this. She looks at this Owl, that one, and all she sees is corpses.

And that’s before they do the unthinkable.He freezes the valiant little Hin lady, and Joachim and Falfen crumple in the onslaught of the Spirit Owls. Auril’s cleric bends to Joachim, and as Joachim jerks and smokes, she screams so loud and harsh, she feels the sound tearing her throat. Her body is already running, but too slow. Too slow!

Tru is not small. She is right sized and right speeded, but in this moment, she’d give anything to be a Goliath, huge, long legged. She can’t get to them, and the failure in this moment is a sickness in her core.

No fear, Little. I’ll bring them to you, Osco says. His serious voice. His, I got your back, babe, voice, and she is so grateful. He runs just north of them, Falfen so still, the Hin so cold, and Joachim faintly smoking, and he makes a play-shape, bowing his front legs, butt up. He releases a low sweet whine, trying to penetrate their dreams so they’ll come with him. At the same time she is calling hoarsely with her torn throat, To me, to me, come with my good dog to me, and she is running, running. With a faint pop of displacing air, Osco yoinks as many as will come fifteen feet north and east toward her.

Druidic is already flowing from her lips. She must cure Falfen, her mind is full of gawky Falfen with his goonish laugh, his big hand dwarfing hers under the pier. Falfen in the hag caves, telling her the secret of the doll. Falfen, grown somehow into a Storm Friend, not a boy, risking his life to help her save those dragons. He trusts her, and no matter what she has to---she---

Oh, Everlight, Joachim’s poor face! She bends to them, reaching with her right hand to lay the sickle flat, her knuckles touching Falfen’s shoulder, calling the healing power of her god. This is what she decides, even though she might lose the dwarf, and the Hin is likely dead. Her mind and spirit, they know what is right.

But she is not her mind; she is not even her own soul. Druids are the body. She doesn’t ride around in this small Hin, that wolf, this walrus. She is her body, and her left hand is faster. It fists itself in Joachim’s thick hair. Because if he dies---he can’t die. If he dies---he can’t. She will save Osco, and there will be a garden. She will have a green hill with two fine holes side by side. She will sit on the shared porch and smoke a pipe with her brother as they watch the couple dozen cousins, little wolves all, running together---she feels the healing magic of the Weave her god has given leave her left hand and animate Joachim.

Her right knuckles, clutched around the sickle, land on Falfen’s shoulder not a half a heartbeat after, but what she has to give him, she has stolen from herself. Joachim Ringlenatz can’t die here. She is her body, and her body has decided.

When his eyes open, she is bending over him, yanking at his hair. His scruffy beard is stupid. Hin boys don't even grow these things----hells, Hin have to be be near fifty to attempt a decent sideburn, and all this scruffy scrub on his dear, burned face isn't even proper for a Dwarf! No one can hear but Osco, and Falfen is so still, and she has failed her friend. She has failed him, but she yanks at Joachim's hair---and she gets a glimpse of how deep her faith in this rabble rousing poet goes. She has failed her friend, but Joachim will not fail.

She says his name, her voice raw and low, Brom. Please, help Falfen. Brom. Please. Tears fall, not even freezing, making small hot holes in the remaining snow, sparkling in the sunlight as they land on his dumb beard.

 


 

__________________
New here? Come play a NEW PLAYER SOLO GAME

Join RPGX Book Club

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Oct 31st, 2022 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2022, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB