RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 10:43 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6316
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Grottos and Godbound

Grottos and Godbound

Game System

Flavor
You're given railroad-evaporating powers that can instantly solve typical D&D quests with just a flick of your wrist.Sandbox, Your characters MUST have a goal and/or agenda. I'll present scenarios and things, but the characters need to be proactive, not reactive.Player-Driven, The world is the world in the Godbound PDF, which only comes with so much detail. I think this game will be best if all players have the ability to add things to the world(either pre-existing, or using your PC's powers). I will reserve a kind of veto-power though. (Though not something I intend to use often.)Cooperative Worldbuilding, One (1) Tweet-sized post per day! ~50 words or less per post!Experimental Posting Style using Constrained Writing

Theme
Absent gods have dropped the tools of creation into a broken mortal world. Through chance or sacrifice or strength, you came upon a set of these tools and Ascended.

Plot Summary

Five summers ago, the glorious kingdom of Ancalia fell to chaos. When the gods lost control of the celestial engines, portals into the Night Roads erupted across Ancalia and cursed the land with hordes of Uncreated and a plague that raised the recently dead into a ravenous husk. Nowadays, the people huddle into well-defended enclaves and refuges, ruled by petty warlords and bandit-kings; and the evil monsters born from the Night Roads lair in ruined cities.

And then, one day, you felt a calling. You trekked to the neglected Cairns of Worship, and as the sun rose, a bolt of power struck from the dawn, igniting you and your fellow travelers with a spark of divinity. You are all Godbound, a fresh pantheon of demigods, given no guidance by the Gods above.

Are you to save Ancalia, or do as you wish? Are you to finish its destruction, or build something new? The answers to these questions are up to you.

You can read more about Ancalia on page 74 of the Godbound Free Edition pdf.

About the GM, and about this game...
left-aligned image
Hi all! You can call me Vash or Inu, or Inuvash. I've been GMing/DMing for the better part of a decade at this point, and this is my first game after returning back from a hiatus last year.

I've done a lot of thinking about what I want out of PbP right now, and here's the main "house rules" or conceits of this game:

Firstly, I want this game to aim for a daily pace (minus weekends), whether the post is entirely IC or OOC. I know that's a lot for anybody, but...

Secondly, I want to introduce a kind of "constrained writing" challenge into this game. Namely, roleplaying "Must" as in, like, I'm not gonna penalize you, but "please do this".must be While I wouldn't be counting your posts, it's not too hard to eyeball when a post is way over 50 words.50 words or less.

If you're short on time or creative juices, an RP post can be as simple as, "Melf the Elf shoots an arrow at the Dragon from the far side of the room." On the flip-side, if you're brimming with creativity, fitting a lot of flavor, detail, and style into 50 words is a fun challenge, I've found in experimenting with it.

Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but I won't count it against the total. ;D

When we RP, I want us to show up, read through some very-digestible Tweet-sized posts, and reply at about the length of a Tweet to continue the story.

Note: OOC text is not subject to this limit.

Application Information
right-aligned image
Character Application Notes: You don't need to fill out a character sheet to apply. We'll be using the game's ability score assignment [16, 14, 13, 13, 10, 8] rather than rolling. Typically characters in this game are human turned into demigods/gods; I'm going to go with the optional rule on pg.78 of the book - you can use one of your character's Facts to be non-human, OR otherwise someone from somewhere other than Ancalia.

You: (Not your character, what should we call you by? Anything we should know about you?)

Have you checked out the system? What do you think of it? Do you have any comments or concerns?

How do you feel about the posting rate and the constrained writing challenge?

Pre-Apotheosis Concept: (Who was your character before they became a demigod?)

Demigod Concept: (What sort of Godbound do you want your character to become?)

Worldbuilding Exercise: The closest enclave to the Cairn of Worship is Binai, which sits at the mouth of a river. In 50 words or less, give me some details about Binai. It could be about a particular person, people, or organization that calls Binai home, about a certain location in the enclave, or certain qualities of the place itself.

Optional, Easy App Skeleton[B]You: [/B]

[B]System Thoughts:[/B]

[B]Posting and Writing Challenge Thoughts:[/B]

[B]Pre-Apotheosis Concept:[/B]

[B]Demigod Concept: [/B]

[FIELDSET="Worldbuilding Exercise"]50 Words or Less
[/FIELDSET]

Application deadline: Friday, April 7th

TecReality-Bending Goddess, Former CounselorDONE
AmargaCalm Shepard, Guardian of the NightWIP
HotsuSamaJunk Dealer turned God of the SeaDONE
SamOccultist Death GodWIP
TaletellerGrey Necromancer, Using the Dead to Help LivingDONE
KaiyaThe Hero Ancalia Needs!DONE
EOHomebody becomes the Diety of Adventure!DONE
Cap UtFormerly blind demigod who shoots eye-beams and fosters friendshipDONE
BardA scorned, noble goddess who can burn it all down DONE
Keante...WIP
CGScroll Knight, through and through! DONE

Last edited by Inuvash255; Apr 4th, 2023 at 10:00 AM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 11:16 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 86
braintitan
This looks interesting - going to read up on the setting.

Question - I will be away with not internet access starting next Thru afternoon till Monday afternoon the following week. Hope that won't mess things up for selection given the posting requirements.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 11:39 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Nah, I doubt that'll mess anything up.

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 02:10 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
Tecumseh Tecumseh
Ooo, me, me!

Godbound has been at the top of my To Do list for months now. I've tried to get two games off the ground but the GM (in one) and the players (in the second) flaked.

I have a few different concepts that could be fun. Is Lexicon of the Throne available to use?

Application Information
right-aligned image

You: Tec. Been playing TTRPGs since the mid-80s, play-by-post for almost 12 years, and Kevin Crawford systems for the last 3 years.

Have you checked out the system? What do you think of it? Do you have any comments or concerns? Yes, I think it's very exciting! I've been eager to play it. One of the things that most interests me is the speed at which the story can progress. Things that might be a whole adventure in a traditional game might be resolved within minutes here. That pace is exciting, especially combined with the posting rate.

How do you feel about the posting rate and the constrained writing challenge? Big fan of the posting rate. I had never considered a constrained writing challenge before but I think I like it. One of the things that seems to bog down games a lot is people wanting to do a "proper" IC post, when the reality is that the momentum of the game would be better served by something quick and dirty.

Pre-Apotheosis Concept: A scoundrel. A rascal/trickster with little personal power scraping by on the fringes of society.

Demigod Concept: From a mechanics standpoint, thinking Theft/Night/Alacrity (if Lexicon of the Throne is available). From a narrative standpoint, a demigod who is willing to do a little evil to do a greater good.

Worldbuilding Exercise: The warlord-ruler of Binai - "His Majesty, Mael" - uses the river as a source of control. His soldiers strictly enforce when and how the local residents use the river. Mael collects a "water tax" from everyone. Often his soldiers collect a little extra for themselves.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 02:25 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5887
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
WIP Application Information
right-aligned image

You: Amarga. Started playing TTRPGs a decade ago with my highschool buddies. Ah, DnD 3.5.

System Thoughts:

How do you feel about the posting rate and the constrained writing challenge?: It sounds like an excellent way to develop effective writing. The soul of wit is brevity and all that. As for the increased posting rate I think that goes hand in hand with the lower word count, it's an excellent and interesting pairing.

Pre-Apotheosis Concept: A stargazing shepherd

Demigod Concept: A calm guardian and guide of the night. Deeply tied to stars, dreams, and sleep. Probably fights using a sling and staff, maybe frustrates enemies using fluffy star sheep.

Worldbuilding Exercise:
"You tell me: 'Life is hard to bear.' But if it were otherwise why should you have your pride in the morning and your resignation in the evening? Life is hard to bear: but do not pretend to be so tender!" -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Last edited by Amarga; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:11 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@Tec: Sorry, just the content of the free version!

It's a new system for me, so I'd like to keep it to the core content. c:

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
Tecumseh Tecumseh
Okay, let me rethink a bit. I have three other concepts I've sketched out and I think they all work with the free edition of the rules.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 04:29 PM
Flightless buzzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22205
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
... Well now. This is a pleasant surprise. And hello Inu!

Tentative interest. Daily posting but 50w limit? I think I'd be willing to try that. I have a vague familiarity with Godbound - haven't played, but I've made characters for previous applications on RPGX. I'll look back and mull it over.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 04:35 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Hotsusama! How've you been?

The posting rate/rules are pretty experimental, but I'm hoping the game moves at a decent clip and is easy to keep up with. :>

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 04:49 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@Tec: No rush!

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 04:55 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 86
braintitan
Hmm - so new system for me - had a concept but not sure it will fit world/Party wanted to run it by everyone -

An undead Lord who wants to use his powers to protect everyone - take control of all the undead he can to keep them from attacking innocent, using them for labor and destroying those undead who won't come under his sway.

Every Pantheon needs an undead god right ?
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 06:04 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
There is a Word for Death in the rulebook, which seems to be along the lines of a Necromancer / Reaper / Psychopomp. That might go well with your idea.

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 07:11 PM
Fickle Fanatic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 227
Kaymithe Kaymithe Kaymithe
Very interesting!

I don't quite have the time to read up on a new system, but I love the concept of constrained writing produced on a consistent basis!
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 07:12 PM
Flightless buzzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22205
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Character App - Ihab

You: HotsuSama - person, father, RPG tragic. Playing since 2017, RPGX regular since 2020.

System Thoughts: I've made characters and concepts in Godbound but haven't had the chance to play yet.

Posting and Writing Challenge Thoughts: Yup, I'm in for it - it'll hopefully make keeping up more manageable than trying to block out time for bigger posts.

Pre-Apotheosis Concept: Ihab Attama is the daughter of a minor lord who owned an estate up the coast from Binai when the Night Roads opened. They avoided the worst of the initial calamity, and the Attama estate became a small enclave for refugees for a while after the fall of Old Binai. Ihab would scavenge for resources and supplies, sometimes inland, although as Binai and its surrounds were stripped of healthy settlements and resources she learned to take a raft and dive for valuables from sunken wrecks off the Ancalian coast. When the push-back to reclaim Old Binai occurred, she kept to her rafting, finding it a relaxing departure from the desperation of what was happening on Ancalian soil.

It was a momentous occasion when the area surrounding Binai's old Cairn of Worship was reclaimed. When Ihab visited the cairn, she'd been dreaming of going back out on her raft. The Cairn looked like a finger pointing to the sky. No ... the sea. The endless sea that stretches forever, even into nothingness and oblivion. The abyss called her, even on land. It welcomed her, so vast and empty but also so full of discarded things - lost wrecks, creatures never seen by mortal eyes, knowledge that slipped under the waves.

Demigod Concept: A god of the deep sea - not just the domain of water, but also of forgotten things, the detritus of countless ships and souls dragged into the abyssal void.

Proposed Words: Sea, Wealth (3rd word either Knowledge or Night, depending on other characters)

Worldbuilding Exercise'Binai' as it's now known is not the same as the old city, which was ravaged five years ago. The current Binai is still fledgling, slowly reclaiming the territory after pushing back the Uncreated at great cost. It uses some sections of the old city and various surrounding encampments.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Apr 1st, 2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 07:20 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 800
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
Already have a concept in mind, and I think those Sun and Bow Words would wrap it quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaymithe View Post
I don't quite have the time to read up on a new system
It's actually quite simple and straightforward. I've never heard of this game before today and after a couple hours I think I already got a good hang of it.